TF300 Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 07/22/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: TF300
The TF300 features a clean channel that gives you everything you want, including a bright switch and a mid shift. Use Drive 1 to set up your rib-cracking rhythm tone, whilst Drive 2 will take care of your monster lead tones.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Features: 6.7
 6.7
 7.5
 5.8
reviews (3) 8 comments vote for this gear:
TF300 Reviewed by: unce_trev, on september 18, 2006

Purchased from: Probyn's Music

Features: This is a proper rock 'n' roll amp. TF means TubeFusion, so it has a solid-state clean channel, and two tube drive channels. These are only switched with a footpedal, and the amp has LEDs that come on to show you which one is enabled. There is a reverb dial, and an effects loop. It can also drive a cab or speaker. The power rating says 200W, but it doesnt't seem that big. I dunno. All I know is that on 10 it's pretty loud. // 8

Sound: I'm using an Ibanez SA320 something or other with humbuckers, a Zoom G2 FX pedal and a Crybaby wah pedal. These seem to work pretty well. The first overdrive channel does a hard overdrive sound that doesnt't sustain too well. I use this channel for straight up songs using just powerchords, as it doesnt't deal too well with speed. The second is basically a more distorted version of the first, and can be used for faster, more aggressive songs than the first, such as Velvet Revolver or AC/DC. Running on clean with an FX box in the FX loop can give you some great distortion, and it suits high-mid settings on distortion boxes. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had it for 6 months and nothing's gone wrong. I don't think I've blown any tubes, but this is my first tube amp, so I dunno, haven't had to replace the tubes, but I don't run it that hard on the amp distortion. My amp appears to have a Marshall footswitch. It works fine, but check it out in the store if you want one. // 10

Overall Impression: Generally I play rock and metal songs. This is a great amp for that. The amp distortion takes care of all the rock tones, but you'll need an effects box or distortion pedal of some kind for metal. It takes all kinds of effects pretty well, no 'farting' at high volume, though the amp overdrive loses some of it's edge. I dunno if that's just the tubes, or what, hope this review helps! // 10

TF300 Reviewed by: BGSM, on july 21, 2008

Price paid: A$ 495

Purchased from: Used

Features: The Tube Fusion series of amps went on the market around 1990. They are a hybrid tube amplifier, and I think that the clean channel is SS and the Drive channel uses the pre-amp valve. They were marketed for the medium budget giggers. I play lots of genres, thrash to jazzy clean stuff, and this amp covers it all really well. This amp has 3 channels, clean, Drive 1 and Drive 2. Drive 1 is aimed for rythm tones, and Drive 2 for lead. These channels are footswitch-able (channel / drive, then drive 1 / drive 2), as well as the reverb. On the clean channel, it has a 'mid' and a 'bright' switch, the mid Switch isn't too noticable, but I am using the bright Switch to add a bit more character to the clean channel. It has a 2 independant 3 band EQ's for the clean and the Drive channels, which is great for changing your sound completely in a song. It also has spring reverb, which I will go into later. It also has an effects loop, which I don't think is footswitch-able. I haven't used it yet. I can't comment on the stock speakers, as mine came with a Celestion G12H-80 installed, but I imagine that the stock speaker would be a big more bright and less bassy. I love bassy and high mid tones, which is why I love this speaker. The headphone and the line-out ports at the back are pointless - this amp sounds terrible for those, and as many have mentioned before sounds like 'bees in a jar'. Clean is alright, but using the Drive sounds awful. Granted though, if you want a headphone amp, you wouldn't buy this one. To record with this amp, you would mic it up, the line-out is just as terrible. // 8

Sound: I use an HSS Samick Stratocaster (better than you think). No pedals, when I used my Boss OS-2 with this, there was a noticeable loss in tone when bypassed. If you need an OD, you need true-bypass. This amp is actually very quiet. No noise on the clean channel, even when on 8! The drive channels are fairly quiet aswell. When talking about pure volume, this amp can get loud. Drive 2 can break up easily, and loose it's 'tightness' when up past 5, but I always mic this up for gigs. Drive 1 deals with volume a lot better, aswell as the clean channel. The clean channel stays clean very well, too. Now, for the reverb. I am a reverb nut, and always have to have lots of reverb on tap, as it brings your lead work to life. The reverb on this amp is fantastic. It has a spring reverb tank at the bottom of the amp, and even one 1 you can notice the reverb subtly, although I usually have it on 9 to 10. You can really change your sounds by adjusting the volume and the gain knobs, to get a light overdrive for blues on either Drive channel, although the amp really shines when using the Drive on 9 to 10. Each drive channel has an 'enhance' knob aswell, which sounds like it adds more mids, and makes your sound more tight. You can even get a good thrash metal sound out of this amp using Drive 1, although I reccommend investing in a really good OD or distortion pedal, with true bypass, to sound less strained. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The build quality for this amp is fantastic. I bought this from my guitar teacher, who has upgraded to a Mesa Nomad 55. He took great care of this amp, and had it for 5-6 years. All of the knobs turn well, and there are no crackles or pops for anything, apart from when you turn it on. I haven't needed to repair this, even though I've only had it for a month. I don't imagine it will ever need repair. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this amp. It's loud enough for gigs, has 3 fantastic channels, and I am in love with the Drive 2 on this amp. I prefer this to a Peavey ValveKing indefinitely. The 'vibe' switch on this amp is pointless, I don't know what it does, but it sounds like you're punching holes in the speaker. This amp will never get stolen, it's too heavy. It's not for sale anymore, but I'm sure there are a few around in the used market. If you buy this amp, it'll be the last amp you buy for a while, because the TF300 is a very giggable, fantastic amp. You won't regret purchasing it! // 9

TF300 Reviewed by: gibson-sg-rocks, on july 22, 2008

Price paid: A$ 700

Purchased from: Rajen music

Features: The only 2 things I like about this amp are it's loud and I like the clean channel. I absolutely hate the distortion channels on this, because they sound really tinny and weak. (more for metal). I bought this when I bought a Jackson js30, the worst decision I've ever made in my life, but, you Live and you learn. Now, I want to sell both my Laney and Jackson. I bought this 2 years ago, I was kinda into metal at the time, and was about to start a band, so I though I might aswell buy an amp. I didn't want an amp with fx, because I had a Boss ME-50 multi fx pedal, so that's why I didn't get a Marshall AVT. I think this kicks a Marshall AVT's ass though. I play just rock, e.g. The Vines, The Subways, Oasis, Kings Of Leon, The Strokes, and this amp doesn't suit any of those bands. So that's why I use the clean channel and plug in my ME-50. I think I might buy an overdrive pedal to use with the clean channel, that might give this amp some balls. There is no headphone jack, but Who needs one, no big amp is meant to be played with headphones, they deserve to be respected, and cranked loud. I did put this all the way up to max volume, but that wouldn't have been running at 120 watts, so if I did want 120 watts, I'd probably get a 2x12 cab, and connect it up. I never use the Drive reverb, because I never use the Drive, it really does suck. I have used this for gigs, and it holds well. I use it for band prac every sunday, and it's really good, I usually have it at no3 volume. I play this with my Gibson SG Standard, through my Boss ME-50. Some days if I crank it, I can smell a burning smell in the room, but that might be coming from the Behringer PA system, everything Behringer blows up, so I'm assuming it is the PA. // 4

Sound: The Gibson SG Standard really works well with the clean. I have the stock pickups. the 57' classics may work better. This is only noisy if you use crap cables, or if you have single coils or any other pickups that aren't shielded or whatever, but for me, it's fine. I wouldn't say the distortion is brutal, I'd say it's more "tinny and thin". the clean channel is distorted at high volumes if you strum hard. I play this at about volume 4 when were having band practices. Other than that, I keep it on 2 or 3 if I'm by myself. The footswitch plug at the back keeps stuffing up on me, it falls inside sometimes, which means I have to take apart the amp and fish it out, because the screws come off with the footswitch. I can just superglue that though. superglue is the solution to all of lifes problems. If my Gibson neck snapped off, I could just superglue it back together. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it in a gig without any backup, I have done it before. Nothing bad has ever happened to this, except for the distortion sounding terrible. I haven't replaced the tube, I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but I shall find out. I'va had this amp for 2 years. // 10

Overall Impression: I play just rock, The vines, Strokes, The Subways, Oasis. it's a terrible match. I've been playing guitar for 4 years now, I've had this amp for 2 yrs. I play with a Gibson SG Standard, not an Epiphone, the proper Gibson one, so it's not the guitar that's bad, it's the amp. I will probably just buy an Ibanez tubescreamer to replace the bad distortion. Maybe next year I'll buy an Orange or a Vox or Fender Hotrod Deville. If it were stolen, I wouldn't care that much, it's their loss. I'd buy a different amp. I love the fact that it's loud and that's it. my fave feature is the clean tone. I hate the distortions. I prefer this to any Marshall AVT, because with marshalls, your paying for the name, and Marshalls don't make the same amps anymore like they used to. I wish it had a better distortion. // 3

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014