TF800 Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 09/15/2003 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: TF800
4 Channels; 4 Separate Volume; 3 3-Band EQ (Clean, Drive 1 & 2); 2 Vibe Switches; 2 Reverb Controls; FS4 Footswitch; (TF400) 1x12" HH Premier.
 8.2
 9.5
 6.9
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
TF800 Reviewed by: rhysy_boi, on september 15, 2003

Features: The amp is brand new so I'm expecting it to of been made this year or last since I think it's a discontinued model. It has a range of sounds from blues to rock to punk to metal, it's all there. It has 4 channels, clean, crunch, drive 1 and 2 and all channels have reverb and there is a headphones jack in the back. Different channels sound like certain genres of music e.g. the crunch channel is classic for rick 'n' roll like AC/DC and the drive 1 channel is a blues/punk/metal channel and drive 2 is the same as drive 1 but you can change the enhance (compresion/contour) change the distortion and the volume so I'd only really use that if I were soloing. I don't really use the reverb but the few times I have it has sounded really good. I use this amp sometimes in my bedroom, you turn it down to 1 or 2 on volume and it's comfortable but if you play at a gig it has enough power easily. It is a tube amp with 120W RMS out of 4 Ohms. I'm pushing it through a Marshall JCM 1960A 300W quad box and I played an outdoor gig the other day and I didn't need to turn it past 6 even with the mixing desk we had cranked totally. It has 22 knobs and 7 buttons, I love all the knobs so much fun to play around with. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Squire Tom DeLonge with a single humbucker at the back. This amp and guitar suit punk super well but can also fit a few other styles easily. I don't get any feedback really unless I stand right in front of the speaker on drive 2 when it's cranked to bout 7. As I said before the variety of styles this amp can fit is astronomical! Blues, rock, punk, pop, metal it's all there! The clean channel unlike most amps i've ever tried is a lot higher volume than the distortions as in on 5 it will be alot louder than the drive 1 or 2 on 5. With the amp being tube it has a really really good distortion. Compressed or uncompressed it can go very dirty. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I only got the amp recently but i would use it at a gig without a backup. I think a couple of my footswitch lead are a little dodgy though because sometimes it flicks between clean and crunch while I'm playing but a couple clicks of the buttons fixs it. As I said I only got it recently so no problems yet and hopefully none ever. // 8

Overall Impression: I play punk, rock and a bit of blues and it fits these genres perfectly. I use a Tom DeLonge Squire Strat, a Vox Wah-Wah Pedal, a Danelectro floor tuner and Fender cables at the moment. Hopefully getting a wireless soon though, after i've payed off this amp. Ore like when I bought this amp I wish I had asked for the user manual too. If this amp was stolen I'd definitely buy it again it's such a good amp it surprises me with different sounds each day. Favourite feature would be the clean channel. It's so warm and such a great channel. I really like the two distortion channels too. The only thing i wish this amp had a channel that sounded like a Marshall TSL100 and an acoustic simulator but i can always buy a foot pedal for that and I can always buy a TSL head. // 10

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014