TT20H Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 02/16/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: TT20H
This is a single channel, class A, all tube, 20 watt guitar amp head with a matching 12inch speaker cab. It has many standard features but it also features a couple of cool extras.
 9.3
 8.8
 9.8
review (1) pictures (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
TT20H Reviewed by: Friday Jnr, on february 16, 2012

Features: This is a single channel, class A, all tube, 20 watt guitar amp head with a matching 12inch speaker cab. It has many standard features such as a Drive control, a master volume, bass, mid and Treble controls, spring reverb and a presence control but it also features a couple of cool extras. It has a bright switch which needs no explanation and it also has a modern switch which gives it a bit more balls when pressed. Its like going from a Fender to a Marshall but not quite that extreme. It has a standard input as well as a HOT input which is very cool but the feature I like the most is the tube selector switch. Basically it coverts the power tubes from pentode to triode and back so this limits the power. It will go from about 10 watts to 20 watts which comes in handy when your kids are asleep and you wanna rock a fully driven amp. // 9

Sound: I use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard which has had the neck redressed and some sweeter pick-ups installed. It also has these really cool skull knobs that I got on eBay but that only raises the guitars awesomeness factor, it doesnt't really help it sound better he he. The amp suits what I do as I do everything from funk, to rockabilly, rock and hard rock. I also have a Joyo Vintage Overdrive which might be the cheapest pedal on earth and looks shite but it is a clone of the classic Ibanez Tube Screamer and sounds pretty much identical. On top of that I use an MI Audio Boost and Buff which gives me about 35db of extra gain so I can keep the amp pumping at just the point of crackling and sparkling and then when I hit the boost it throws it into saturation and I get a nice overdrive without changing the tone. With the boost I can get this amp really cranking the overdrive and it sounds wicked. There's no real way to run this amp loud and clean at the same time. Its only 20watts after all and doesn't have a lot of headroom but its still loud enough for a rehearsal and gives you enough sound to hear yourself on stage. You just need to mic it up for the rest of the venue. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Its never broken down on me. It did pick up the radio once at a gig which was pretty funny. I do use it without a back up because A) I can't afford another one and B) Who the f--k brings two amps to a gig? // 8

Overall Impression: I'm a bass player ultimately and I dabble in guitar with another band. My playing ability is probably worth better gear but I like this little set-up. Its nice and simple and does what I want. I also like the fact that other guitarists stick their noses up at my gear and then change their mind when I play. I think these amps are discontinued but Laney now have the Lionheart series which is about the same but looks a lot better. I would definitely recommend these amps if you want to have a nice overdriven tube sound without making the front row go deaf... // 10

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014