TT50-112 Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 07/30/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: TT50-112
A LOT of features and buttons. Very versatile amp, but is strictly British-voiced. Plenty of volume. You could probably bring this and play a medium-sized gig without PA.
 7.6
 8.8
 6.4
review (1) pictures (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
TT50-112 Reviewed by: HellBoy9393, on july 30, 2010

Features: -Probably made in the 1990s. -50 watts -2 x EL34 power tubes, 6 x ECC83/12AX7 preamp tubes -Celestion Classic Lead 80 12" speaker -3 channels; clean, rhythm and lead. -Footswitch included -2 master volumes (footswitchable) -Footswitchable reverb -Separate volumes for each channel -Drive controls for channels 2 and 3 -Each channel has independent EQ controls -All channels have a BRIGHT switch -Channel 2 and 3 have a MODERN Switch for the extra gain and modern voicing -Channel 3 has an XPAND function (boosts the low end and overall increases harmonics) and BOOST Switch which increases the gain even more. -Tight/dampening switch -Mute switch -FX loop with mix control -Emulated line-out for direct recording (though the quality is still quite poor)or straight to a mixer. -External speakers can be connected. Evidently, a LOT of features and buttons. Very versatile amp, but is strictly British-voiced. Plenty of volume; too much for my apartment. You could probably bring this and play a medium-sized gig without PA. It is a very heavy amp but still relatively mobile. Sometimes I wish it had a 2x12" speaker configuration but then I realize how horrible that would be to carry around. // 10

Sound: I play an Epiphone SG G-400 with stock humbuckers through this amp. I play all sorts of music, from country to blues to modern metal and this amp does all fairly well. Similar voicing to high-end Marshall tube amps. If you're planning to play music commonly played with American-voiced amps like Peaveys and Mesa Boogies, this isn't really for you. It's high-end can get harsh and it's lows quite thin. If you dig old British classic rock and heavy metal a la AC/DC, Led Zep, Guns N Roses, Van Halen, early Metallica, Sabbath etc., this is for you. With a boost, you can hit modern metal. Without one, it'll sound a bit too loose and boomy. Its cleans are great, especially with the volume up high. No country twang, but definitely bright and jangly. It's a bit thick and a bit too warm for me, but that's probably just a sign that I need to get myself some single-coil guitars. Not a noisy amp at all, even with the gain all the way up. The reverb on this amp is very weak, but that's most likely a problem with the preamp tube (I haven't replaced any of them yet). // 8

Reliability & Durability: I bought this amp second-hand and at the time it's exterior was completely destroyed. It's front grill, even now, is ripped to bits. It's chrome front plate and corner protectors are rusting and the amp handle's leather has mostly eroded. That said, the amp itself works very well considering its age (10-20 years). The previous owner gigged a LOT with this amp, so I had to replace the tubes upon purchase. I haven't replaced the pots even though they're scratchy. It's fine with me. Ever since I bought this amp back in October 2009 it's had NO ISSUES whatsoever. // 8

Overall Impression: Guitar: Epiphone G-400. In the FX loop: Marshall RG-1 Regenerator modulation FX pedal. In front of the amp: Ibanez WD-7 wah > DigiTech Bad Monkey OD > EHX Black Russian Big Muff Pi fuzz. This amp suits me well right now for what I play. As long as I don't have a sudden urge to play death metal (which I probably never will), I think this amp is here to stay. My only major complaint about this amp is that it really is too bright to properly emulate sounds from popular American metalcore bands (if that's what you're into), but hey, if you find an amp which can nail both American and British-voiced music, I'm sold. // 9

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014