VC30-210 Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 01/18/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: VC30-210
The VC30 generates very little cross over distortion because it runs in pure class A mode, its valves are always hot and ready to roll, which gives it that unmistakable class A sound and feel.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 8.9
 8.7
reviews (3) 14 comments vote for this gear:
VC30-210 Reviewed by: bluesbarker, on november 20, 2006

Features: This amp I presume was made this year, it is an all tube amp 30 watt amp with Twin 10" Jensen speakers. It has a clean and drive with standby option like most modern tube amplifiers. It is suprisingly light for a tube amp and suits my styles of mainly jazz, blues and rock exceptionnaly, the only thibg is that a cover or footswitch is not included but I can live without them for the amazing tone and price compared to other tube amps. // 10

Sound: I have gigged this amp and use it in my bedroom, I use it with a Fender Lite Ash Strat fitted with Seymour Duncan single coils. On most amps these pickups will be noisy but not on this. The distortion sounds great but is not strong so if you play anything any heavier than rock forget about it (unless you run a pedal). This amp packs enough power for a busy large hall and then some. The clean will stay nice and clean perfect for jazz and blues but will overdrive when cranked up like most tube amps but this sounds awesome! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have only had this amp a few days and have gigged it in that time, but it feels pretty sturdy and will hopefully stay with me forever it sounds awesome! It is fitted with EL84 tubes that will no doubt have to be replaced at some point like all tube amps but no for a long time yet! // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues, jazz and rock, this amp is perfect for all of these it's versatile and can be used with any type of guitar. I love the sheer tone of it, and how I can get the perfect tone. I don't hate anything about this amp apart from no cover or footswitch but who can complain with a tone like this. Should it be stolen I would not hesitate at buying another one. I compared it to the other VC30s and this one excelled, as it did when compared with a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and Vox Valvetronix models. Go buy this amp now! // 10

VC30-210 Reviewed by: supergerbil, on august 20, 2007

Purchased from: Mad Monks Music

Features: This is a 2 channel all-tube amp (it has 3 preamp and 5 power amp). It is very versatile and can handle most styles and with an OD can play all styles. It has a effects loop on the back and with the footpedal you can Switch the reverb on/off and change channels. I use the amp everywhere I need an amp. It was made in Britain but I'm not sure when. It has no headphone jack but that does not really bother me as I didn't buy this as a practise amp. // 8

Sound: I use this with my Gibson Les Paul Studio and with my Fender mexian strat. It play mainly rock and the amp handles it impressively. The clean channel can get me very nice jazzy tones or with a simple change of the EQ a nice bright tone. The Drive channel produces some great sounds and you can get a clean sound on it and the Drive increases smoothly as you turn it up. The clean channel starts to break up at high volumes but not unusably so as it still reamins clear. The distortion on full is suitable for hard rock so it isn't that "brutal" but it can get quite sharp sounding. There is no extra noise unless you make it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems very reliable. I've had it for a year and the valves haven't gone. It has never broke down however some times I get a volume cut and have to go over to the amp and press the bright Switch. So at a gig I would be quite catious of this but not overly so. The amp "box" is strong so and looks very ruggid. It has metal corners which futher enhace the strength. The sounds is constant so I wouldn't worry about poor sound qualtiy at an event. // 7

Overall Impression: For classic rock and blues to modern rock and pop this amp is a ggod match. Although it's a Vintage combo it can still play modern music. I have had this for a year and I never think about replacing it. I love it and if it ever was lost or, in some impossible circumstance, was stolen I would buy another one straight away. It is hard to pick a favourite favourite as they are all good. I compared this to a Fender Blues Junior and this was just better in every sense of the word. It has everything I could ask for in an amp. // 10

VC30-210 Reviewed by: goport, on january 18, 2010

Purchased from: www.gear4music.com

Features: The VC30 210 was a 2008 model which I bought in April 2009. Its a true class A amp according to the blurb and it is a 2 channel affair although it shares the tone controls for both. Reverb is a little weak but sweet, and at around 90% it is pretty good. Its a very good tone horse and probably better than the Traynor YGL3 MkIII, both the AC30's and the various Marshalls I have owned previously. I chose this as I needed an amp after being re-recruited to join my old Stax/Motown soul band after a near 10 year lay off from live work. I wanted a portable combo that would cut through in my 10+ piece band and it is capable of holding it's own unmic'ed in a 300-400 capacity venue. // 9

Sound: I play a Fender Tele through it and it recreates what I want - ala Steve Cropper/Jimmy King. It was really good with pedals at first but seems to hate them now and creates too much noise so I play straight in. Clean channel is possibly the best I have experienced. I never used to worry about guitar volume - it was always set at 100% but this amp gives a genuine different voicing from different guitar settings and has provided me with a little re-education. When this amp is run at 5-6 the natural break up is beautiful. Distortion is classic 70's and not high gain. Think Thin Lizzy // 8

Reliability & Durability: I do depend on it, as I have no back up. I am in the process of buying another 210 because I genuinely like the sound. I have not needed a repair as such but the issue with hum & pedals has gotten noticeably worse over the last 4 months. However the end result is that I have become less reliant on pedals and more able to play in the raw as it were:) // 8

Overall Impression: I play in a 60's Stax and Motown band. This amp is refined enough and raw enough to do the music justice without wimping out or being overkill. I have been playing 24 years and own a Traynor 100 watt amp and far too many guitars and effects. I love the amp - but this is something that happened in the last 3 months. Previously I was looking to buy another Traynor YGL. I bought it and it was not as refined or as good. I now have an amp that is too heavy to lift and too rubbish to use. Stick to the VC30 210! What do I love about it? Well it has a real thick sound and it captures the sounds of a bygone era. Push it, it will sing. The VC30 MK2 is a real contender to the AC30. If it were stolen? This is a nonsense because I am currently buying a second VC30 anyway. // 8

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014