Flextone Review

6.2
review (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Flextone Reviewed by: krut917, on november 20, 2009

Purchased from: ebay

Features: I'm not sure what year it came out, I'm guessing around 1999. This amp was quite the surprise, I had walked into a pawn shop, and played one (priced at $300), and thinking "oh this is Line 6, it'll probably suck." sat down and played it. I was quite surprised, it had alot of bang for the buck. it has I believe 15 or 16 amp models. That span from the Fender tweeds, to the Marshall, mesa, and Soldano emulations. The effects weren't too bad either. Echo was pretty tweakable for me, the chorus and flanger also were fairly tweakeable. I still haven't really used them all yet, but I at least have the ability to. It's a solid state (I'm not getting into the "Tube vs solid state war, because honestly I don't care). 60 watts, more than loud enough for the average bedroom playing guitar player. It'd be nice if the footswitch came with it, because the fb4 or even the old floor board is really hard to find. // 9

Sound: I'm playing on an Agile interceptor 7 (before they made them with EMG's), and a 1976 Aria Les paul styled (lawsuit era) Custom with the original neck pikup and a duncan super distortion. My Aria screams with it. The Agile isn't as hot, but still sounds good. I play more on metal-tinged music, as well as electronic/ambient/industrial. This amp definitely works for the metal. Like I said before, I was very surprised with how this amp sounded in the shop. I got the same one on ebay for 220 (much better than $300). The cleans really sparkle, and appears to be the general consensus with alot of the Line 6 amps. It's also really really quiet on the high-gain channels. The noise gate shuts out most unwanted noise. The distortion is pretty tweakable, and I've found a decent distortion on the "Rectified" setting I haven't played a mesa, but I know that generally it's your go-to-metal amp (and of course the other side, the JCM's). But playing along to a few songs by bands Who use mesa (king's x(dogman era), Chevelle, Korn, Dream Theater)it does a good job at putting you in the ballpark. I haven't really turned this amp all the way, but at about 75% it's definitely loud, I've never gigged with it, and couldn't tell you if it's got headroom or not. But for the bedroom, and recording direct, it sounds pretty good to me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I couldn't tell you if it's dependable, as I've not been put in a situation where I needed to depend on it. It seems like it's built like a tank, and could withstand some abuse. I don't think it would be wise to use without a backup, but I daresay it's probably more reliable than a tube considering a solid state doesn't blow tubes. // 8

Overall Impression: So this is definitely a pretty decent amp. I'm not gonna say that it's the best amp ever, and I don't believe anything deserves a 10, because odds are, the tone hungry guitarist, even if satisfied, it's only temporary, and will probably over the years be on the prowl for another sound. This amp at least is a jack in the box of entertaining sounds that you can dial up and see what you like. I'll probably hang on to this one for a while, though I do plan on continuing looking on getting others. For the price and sound, you really can't beat it, (I'm sure the newer flextone kicks the pants off of this one), but if you see one at a store in in an old dusty garage, give it a shot, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Don't be a tube snob, I'm sure you can't play your 100watt jcm or mesa or (insert tube amp) in your bedroom. Try this one. // 8

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review