Flextone XL Review

7.3
 6.2
review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Flextone XL Reviewed by: ChristianWL, on october 24, 2012

Features: Well after months of figuring out my amp and looking through every crevice titled "Flextone XL" on the web I actually got some ground on this dog. Probably took me longer than it should have but that's o.k. I decided to make this review because the review for the closest model "Flextone II XL" was turrible. Yes folks, "turrible". Anyway, lets get down to the nitty gritty. Basically it's a modeling amp with 2 12" speakers boasting 100 watts at full tube Emulation. It even takes a couple seconds to start up. Que cute, (how cute in spanglish). Headphone and Return/Send jacks and a rowter plug in. 16 amp models each with Master Volume, Bass, Mid, Treble, Channel Volume, Reverb, and a Effect Tweak knobs to get your near-perfect sound. Amp models include Brit Classic, Brit Hi Gain, Rectified <3, Modern Hi Gain, Flextone Clean <3, Flextone Crunch, Flextone Drive, Flextone Layer, Fuzz <3, Jazz Clean, Small Tweed, Tweed Blues, Black Panel, Modern Class A, Brit Class A, and Brit Blues. Effect Tweak boasts 16 digital effects that include Delay, Rotary Speaker, Flanger 1&2, Chorus 1&2, Tremolo, Compressor, Bypass, and Delay/All Effects except Delay (of course), Rotary Speaker, and Bypass. Also a added Delay/Swell (Swell) effect. Amp has 4 save settings with Manual and Save buttons (without switchfoot) and Tap/Tempo. Though in order to get these too work(without switchfoot) you have to have a good battery inside the amp. If it's dead you can find out what kind you need and solder a new one in with this tutorial. The Line 6 Flextone XL has plenty enough power for each of its settings(sometimes a little too much, heh) and will work in medium largish venues without being mic'd to a system. 100 watts - 2x50 watt stereo. If you would like to go more in depth with the features (much more than I can fit on this page!) of the Line 6 Flextone XL you can download and view these "Flextone & Floorboard Setup, User Manual, and User Preset Chart" manuals I found on the internet. Here's a link. // 7

Sound: I use this amp with my ole' Custom Strat with Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups. The Flextone XL can really kick up the bass and mids. It gives a pretty good treble too. But those mids man, I have to be careful sometimes. The knobs have a lot of power. The tone quality is good and tube-like. If you're expecting top of the line tube tone don't hold your breath. You get what you pay for. The most I've seen this amp go up for is four hundred and that was with the switchfoot. Though with tonal know how and careful Precision you can definitely get half way there. And that my friends, is good enough for me. Sometimes... On a comedic note I just realized I've been using the word "switchfoot" instead of "foot switch". And that, is worth laughing at. // 7

Reliability & Durability: My Flextone XL has been abused since my friend bought it in the early 2000's.(from another friend I'm assuming) It's been left in shacks outside which is particularly bad in the climate I live in. Which is very humid. But this amp can handle some thrash. Both musically and physically. Its speakers are a bit rusty and the amp can make some shaking sounds but it's usually carelessness on my part. If you have the amp today and hear some shaking try screwing in the screws a bit on the speakers and other parts. They might be loose. Other than that the amp is very reliable for its age. // 8

Overall Impression: Welp! This is it. My amp was conceived and born in the late 90's. A bit younger than me. It's been through some abuse. I would recommend it more but sometimes previous owners can be careless. Ask about the settings and battery. Also ask if you can play it if it's possible. If you find it decent than I promise that you can make it more than decent with some tweaking around. I personally am in love with the fuzz/distortion on this thing. It gives a good vibe. The digital effects are o.k. They're not as customizable as a pedal but that's o.k. I'm not to much in too that stuff. I love it, I pretend it loves me. What more can I say that hasn't been said already? // 7

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review