HD 147 Review

9.2
reviews (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
HD 147 Reviewed by: axeslinger0u812, on june 19, 2007

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This is a modeling amp, with an incredible amount of options to choose from. Sounds range from classic Fenders and Marshall's to 5150, Mesa, and Uberschal. A drawback of the amp is that you pretty much NEED to get the FBV shortpedal, at least, to really get the value of the amp. There really is countless features of this amp. Add in a MIDI cable, and you can download tones from websites. It is the perfect amp for recording and going through a PA. Can play any style, as the cleans are exceptionally clean, and the distortions range from a little fuzz to brutal. Plus, it looks cool and has those pretty black lights built in that come through the front grill. // 9

Sound: I was surprised by this amp. Going from a 5150 all tube monster, I was skeptical of a digital amp. After playing with it for a few weeks, I was impressed by quality of the different models on board. Every amp can also be used through different digital cabs. Running through a Line 6 4x12 cab gets the most pure sound from the amp itself. Right now, I'm running the four different channels with a liquidy clean, punchy blues, intense metal and a brown sound setting. All of them deliver fantastically. The amp also has a nice noise gate built in, as well as a compressor, both of which kick in at the touch of a button on the front. Very versatile and quality sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't know much about reliability for this one, as I haven't gigged with it yet. I'm also worried about it being so digital. It is basically a giant computer, and should it ever crash, it's pretty much useless. But I haven't had any problems yet. So reliability and durability is in question, but not because it's poorly made, but because I don't have anything except woodshedding to mention. // 7

Overall Impression: It can be tedious going through the amp and dialing in your sound, as it has literally thousands of possible combinations. The manual is incredibly useful and can be found at the Line 6 website. I play a wide range of stuff, metal being my favorite. I do occasionally get the Hendrix or SRV itch, and have been messing with clean classical stuff as well, and this amp covers them all. Probably the best Line 6 has put out. I like the Vetta, and it is a more popular amp, but I prefer this one. It's overpriced new, I'll admit, but you can easily get it used pretty cheap. I do wish I had my 5150 combo with me, but I would have a hard time selling the HD 147 when I get the Peavey back. I think I'll hold onto it until it dies. If you are looking for an all metal all the time amp, there are better ones. Like the 5150/6505. But if you want to play a wide variety of styles as well as love messing with your tone and playing mad scientist with your settings, you will love his amp. // 9

HD 147 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 17, 2010

Purchased from: eBay

Features: As you've read this amp has LOADS of amp models, and amp cabs, with a 4 band eq (bass, mid, treble and presence), Drive (gain) 4 channels (more with the foot pedal) volume (so you can set each channel at different volumes) reverb, then a tonne of different delays, with a tap tempo and feedback adjuster, and mods such as chorus flanger tremolo and phaser! Also a very effective gate, a comp and a master volume. It has 4 speaker outs, and you can choose 4 8 or 16 ohms, and connect to either 1, 2 or 4 cabs! A headphone out (slightly different sound imo) XLR outputs, (ok for recording but micing will give you a better sound) an FBV pedal port, a groud lift, and midi in/out, and a stereo FX loop. This amp certainly has tonnes of features to make your own sound, and it will be a good sound! // 9

Sound: I play mainly heavy metal, playing metallica, maiden, etc, I find that this amp growls when you chug, and can change into very smooth solo tones, you can change from clean with a slight bit of delay and chorus, to a straight forward metal tone, to a driven solo tone with a lushful delay. Imo, for rock/metal, I find 99% of the amp models suck, they're too over driven, too tinny, to digital, EXCEPT Bomber Uber Orange, this is my only distorted amp I use (with either no cabinet simulation or the Bomber uber). It sound heavy and each string is defined in a crunchy type of way. I love the sound, and for a solid state, it is a very useful amp not having to fork out for tubes, and wait around for warming up. I find the FX very good, each setting only has "more or less", eg on chorus, you can choose a very slight chorus or a very defined chorus, so its not complex to set up. With an FBV pedal you can have 4 channel (with FBV express pedal which is what I use) and easily change from different channels and I use this often to add delay and a comp (adds sustain) for solos. I know I'm not reviewing the FBV express pedal but it is a good pedal for channel switching and tuning etc, the wah pedal isnt the best in the world, but if your on a budget, you can't go wrong. Btw I'm playing through A Marshall M412A, a good cab, cheaper than the Vintage 30 line 6, and seen as the Vintage cab is like 240W... The 300W head would eventually break the speakers if you play loudly, hence I got a 300w cab, which sounds fantastic! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I bought the amp 2nd hand and it was broken slightly, there was a fault in the power board which had to be replaced for 150... Yay... But ever since Line 6 fixed it no problems. One thing I must say is that Line 6 customer service is s*** on the phone, I rang up MANY times and could never even get through! This was when I was trying to get it fixed. I ended up taking to the Neville Brothers in Derby who then managed to get in touch with line 6. No further problems with it. If I was to ever gig with it, it should be durable, it plays loud enough (if not a pa will sort you out... Then again 300w?) and since it doesn't use tubes that's one less thing you have to worry about. // 8

Overall Impression: For Metal this amp is great! For rock, its great, for cleans, its good, for buckethead ridiculously fast soloing, its great, for metallica fans, for iron maiden fans, for pantera fans (Dimebag darell used a solid state amp like the HD147) for any metal or rock fans this amp will be awesome for you! All the FX you'll need without having to fork out on more FX, and easy channel switching, don't listen to the shitty promo vid on Line 6, yes ben moodys tones were awesome but the man playing live sound shit,... Well guess what? He can't f--king EQ this amp! My settings are Bomber uber amp, Bomber uber amp cab, and all the EQ (inc gain) and 12 o clock and you have a sick tone! I record using a Shure SM57 going into logic, it sounds AMAZING! Also live it sounds awesome! Btw sorry to disappoint you but the amp is discontinued, but if you see one cheap on eBay, (like me) you can go wrong. // 9

HD 147 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 28, 2011

Purchased from: used

Features: This amp was made in the 2000's. It was designed mainly for hard rock and metal styles of music. It is a 300 watt solid-state amplifier. The high wattage in this particular amp was so that the amp has more "headroom" when the amp's volume is cranked up. This means that when used with a proper speaker cabinet setup (a 4x12 speaker cabinet that can handle this wattage...) it is less likely to output unwanted distortion or unwanted sounds like muddiness. This amp has four channels, or thirty-two if you purchase an optional Line 6 foot controller like the FBV shortboard. It features a headphone jack in the rear panel, has an effects loop, can power up to four 4x12 cabinets, can run in stereo, has 24 amp models based on real-life counterparts and modded versions of these amps, has speaker emulations, has A.I.R. II direct outs for lively use in direct out setups, has several modulation effects, delays, a compressor, and a noise gate that will be very necessary when cranking this monster of an amp. As far as sound options go, this amp delivers a ridiculous amount. It can suit most types of music. Its very easy to use, and simple to setup in a live situation. // 8

Sound: This solid-state amp runs much quieter than just about any tube amp in existence. It also has a built in noise gate that will greatly reduce noise even moreso. It was designed to emulate tube amps, and does a fairly well job at it. The idea here wasn't to outdo tube amps, but to give the user more options. Is it a Marshall JCM 800? No. But where the JCM 800 gets stuck is in its single known main purpose, which is its gain channel. The HD147 features FAR more tonal options than a standard tube amp, and requires no effort to dial in a decent tone, due to the complete lack of tubes and a tube's inherent inconsistency. I personally use the POD HD500 floorboard in the effects loop of this amp, since these newer, updated amp simulations sound DRASTICALLY more realistic than what the HD 147 offered during its initial release. I use the HD 147 for one reason, and one reason only: as a 300 watt power amp. Why? Because it delivers unbelievably clean and LOUD headroom. Coupled with the POD HD500, this combination becomes VERY intersting. However, the models featured within this amp are not bad at all. Just remember that they are emulations at heart, and can not replace the amps they are designed to emulate. They are more of a "snapshot" of a recognizable setting of their actual counterparts. They respond like tube amps, but simply not as defined as tube amps. For the money, they are quite fun, and suited well for most styles. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very reliable. There are zero tubes to change and protect. The settings are as simple as turning a dial, and sometimes pressing a single button. The amp is made of very rugged materials that include a chrome-like stainless steel chassis and polished knobs. It is quite heavy, but not as heavy as most tube amps. This amp is very gig-ready, and designed for live use. It looks menacing under darkened stage conditions, due to its unique chrome look and purple-blue LEDs that light the amp from the inside. No amp looks this cool. // 10

Overall Impression: I use this amp strictly for its clean headroom. Since I use the POD HD500 in its effects loop, I don't use the amp's actual emulations. But if I couldn't use my POD HD500, I would have zero problems using this amps models live. It sounds good after dialing in a good setting, like ANY amp ever made, and no one has ever whined to me about it. Easy to use, simple to setup, very reliable, LOUD, and it looks VERY cool. // 8

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review