Micro Spider Review

review (1) pictures (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Micro Spider Reviewed by: bluecondition, on march 05, 2012

Price paid: € 109

Purchased from: justmusic.de

Features: The Line 6 Micro Spider is a versatile practice amp that packs a lot of features for its size and price. The amp has four channels - clean, crunch, metal and insane; I tend to use clean and crunch the most but that is just because it suits my style better, metal and insane settings are both perfectly serviceable for practising heavier stuff. You also have the usual gain, bass, middle and treble dials. Being solid state, Line 6 have managed to give you quite a few effects options too. There are two effects dials, one controlling chorus flange, phaser and tremolo and the other controlling sweep echo, tape echo and reverb. You can vary the degree of effects using the dial and is a nice feature. There is also a tap button which controls the delay for the echo settings(this also doubles as the on/off switch for the built in tuner - another useful feature). There is a 1/4" jack for a microphone with its own volume control which makes this amp practical for busking. Additionally there in an input for mp3s and a direct output for recording. The amp runs on AC power or 6 C batteries. The amp is fairly lightweight and comes with a detachable handle for easy portability. You can save your favourite settings for each channel by holding down a button. Really you get more than you need for a practice amp which is always a good thing - you might not need a mic input today, but when your girl breaks up with you and you go into a moody singer songwriter phase it may come in handy. // 9

Sound: For a small amp the sound is pretty good. The quality degrades slightly at the higher volumes and in particular in the metal or insane channels, but I rarely use these. I use this amp primarily for busking with an electro acoustic but I will sometimes also use a strat. When I first used it I was disappointed in the choppy sustain but this turned out to be because of a built in noise gate. Once I turned this off it was much better. The effects are generally pretty useful although I would have preferred just a regular chorus without any flange. There is enough versatility in sounds to stop you from getting bored, for the price of a lot of pedals you are getting a lot of variety. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is a pretty solid piece of kit. I use it mainly for busking and that means a lot of moving around. It has a few scuffs but nothing to impair functionality. This probably isn't the amp you will be using for gigs but I have used it for playing in coffee shops where I needed a little more volume and it was more than adequate. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is ideal for anybody looking for a starter amp, or who needs a portable practice amp. You get more effects and sounds than you really need, plus mic input. It can be run on batteries, is lightweight and reliable. I wish they had this when I was first learning guitar. Its an impressive piece of kit, I'm glad I bought it instead of some of the other options such a the Roland cubes. The only gripes I have are the aggressive noise gate which is easy to turn off and the chorus/flange combination which I would prefer just to be chorus. The best feature for me is the mic with its own volume control but also again the range of sounds you can put out. For what it is designed for it does everything it needs to and more. // 9

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review