Spider 112 Review

8.6
 6.5
reviews (7) 22 comments vote for this gear:
Spider 112 Reviewed by: optimis59, on april 27, 2007

Features: This amp has a very unique sound and tons of effects. If you play classic rock, blues, metal, funk, techno, or you just jam, then this amp is the amp for you. It has several channels of playing styles on it like clean, blues, twang, crunch, recto, and of course, insane. If you buy this amp you'll have effects coming out your ears! It's got flange, chorus, tremolo, tape echo, and ping pong. Plus, it has a headphone jack so you don't annoy anybody when your playing loud. Sure there are some features I wish it had such as it has a lot so I don't need much I guess. It is perfect for shows, gigs, or anywhere you're going. Believe me it packs a punch. You can preset channels so at the push of a button you go to complete insane metal loudness to nice soft easy blues or anything. Overall this is a pretty decent amp for practicing, jamming, or doing a show and with it's size it sure doesn't look that mean but it will blow you away. // 8

Sound: I use a First Act ME-302 Telecaster Copy. I play quite a bit of rock so it suits me very well because the settings on it adapt to almost anything. It can get to pretty pretty loud and especially on insane. It has a wide variety of sounds like funk, blues, and so on. It can be pretty loud on clean if you set it right. The distortion can get you pretty far and with a pedal or two you can tap with ease. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a pretty strong amp so it can take a lot. I bought this amp used and yet it still rocks the house down. I would so take it on a gig without a backup. It's a pretty reliable amp. It's Reliability and Durability are perfect in almost every way.It has never broken down on me so far. // 9

Overall Impression: It fits me pretty well when I'm playing rock. I've been playing for 3 years now so I think I know what I'm doing. I own some pedals and they blend real well with the amp. If anything happened to this amp yeah I probably would buy another one but maybe a newer version. The thing I like about this amp is that it will fit you whatever you play. I don't hate mostly anything about this amp because it's a perfect starter amp, plus it's loud! I chose this amp because it looked like it would fit with almost anything I played and I was right. // 7

Spider 112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2005

Features: For everyone from young guitarists looking for their first 'serious' amp, who want to explore a number of different guitar tones, to more experienced players growing frustrated with the limitations of a 'one or two sound' amp, and searching for their own signature sound, Spider 112 is just what you're looking for. Designed to deliver great tone and performance flexibility to guitarists who typically would not be able to afford such luxury, Spider 112 offers more sonic integrity and tonal variety than other amps in its price range. // 10

Sound: I use a Epi Les Paul Standard and it sounds great. It has six settings for clean, twang, blues, crunch, metal, and insane. Each setting has two sound choices. It lets you turn off the hum and lets you pump up the distortion for every setting. The distortion is awsome even at very low volumes. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and it is perfect. You could play almost anything on this amp. It's really versatile. I've been playing for like 2 and a half years. I also have a Vox Pathfinder (good begginer amp) and a Schecter 006 Deluxe (sux). If it were stolen, I would probably get another one. I love everything and hate nothing about it. My favorite part is the preset sounds: blues, crunch, etc. The only thing I wish is that it came with a pedal. Overall it is a steal for $300 and a solid amp. // 10

Spider 112 Reviewed by: Sacco, on january 26, 2006

Features: This amp has 12 model types to choose from. Including 6 effects + Reverb. This amp allows you to play nearly any style of music. The 12 models are great templates to help you start off with the sound you want and then tweak from there. Having 4 channels is a dream but leaves something to be disired. (Yes you can save your own presets on the 4 channels) The differnt effects are left to the eye of the beholder except for the tremolo that thing sucks! It has a single "in" and a single headphone "out" plus a space for the Line 6 amp pedal. Their are a few extra features such as noise gate, tuner, Distortion boost, these do come in handy. // 7

Sound: I'm using a Peavy JF-1 Exp w/stock humbuckers Switched to Bridge Humbucker. It suits my style just fine playing Classic Rock though its a bit harder to get to to produce the overdriven twang. I do play at lower volumes in my room and middle-middle high when I have an audience. When I go as far as high the amp begins to loose its sound and becomes to distorted. Can't really say that its noisy 'cept when I crank it then you can definately hear something (buzz) 'till you hit the noise gate then your fine. Again the amp can produce just a wide variety from clean-twang-rock-metal. The clean is fine at all volumes (unless you tweak it) and the distortion can go from twang-inaudible. Both have their high points. I will say this is a modeling amp! Do not expect a natuaral sound! // 6

Reliability & Durability: It's cool, don't think it would brake unless it was abused. Far as gig w/out backu. Sure I guess pretty simple amp won't have to worry about any tech stuff (just plug into the PA though that way you can leave volume low enough to remain audible w/o the added distortion). Again this amp has never broken down if it does it will because of the equip, nothing to do with maintenance (maintencance being, keeping the dust off of it). // 8

Overall Impression: As far as my style it goes fine. What people need to understand about this amp, it's a practice amp. A 75 watt practice amp. Don't expect anything grand its fine to find the sounds you want and experement with (4 presets) but that is all. I think thats why this amp is getting such poor reviews is that they expect too much from it. If you are still trying to find your sound or just want to doodle around with out having to mess with your amp all the time go with this amp. // 7

Spider 112 Reviewed by: Nick_666, on april 15, 2006

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: This amp was my first "serious" amp and it fitted the bill perfectly. I play all sorts of styles but mainly rock and a bit of heavier stuff (Manson, The Offspring, Black Sabbath, abit of Blink 182 etc) and the amp in itself was able to accommodate any sound I want. It has 4 channels and it comes with a channel change-y pedal thing which is helpful for mid-song channel changing. It has 7 effects (chorus flange; phaser; tremolo; delay; tape echo; sweep echo; reverb) all which are easy to get to and change and store in the channels. It has 3 "hidden" features - an in-built tuner, an overdrive-y thing, and a sound gate thing. The last two hidden features are hard to put on quickly though and without affecting the sound you have first, which can be annoying, but aside from the fiddly-ness of the last two hidden features it's great to use anywhere. // 10

Sound: The sounds are good. The amount of variety in the sounds themselves was good, varying from "meltdown" distortion and nice clean sounds. I have a relatively cheap Epiphone guitar and I can pretty much get any sound I need through the amp. The quality of the sound is excellent and even in the most distorted setting (insane) you still get the actual notes through (as opposed to just noise). // 10

Reliability & Durability: Bloody hell, this thing is durable! I keep dropping it (it's bloody heavy) and it still plays well. The input socket though is a bit funny, it used to come loose a lot of the time and fall inside the amp but we just pulled it out and tightened the screw around it properly and it's been fine since. Everything else is brilliant about it, nothing fallen off, peeling, broken, smoking etc. I would use it in a gig setting anyday. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp would be good for small gigs, it has the volume. I've been playing for about 3 years now (had the amp for about 1 ) and it's been one of the best amps I've played through. It's chunky enough to withstand a nuclear bomb (you could climb inside if you were small enough) so the actual amp isn't going to die on you whilst playing. The price was brilliant for what I got and if you can get a cheap-ass guitar like mine to play good through it you can probably get any guitar you own to play good through it. // 10

Spider 112 Reviewed by: Avenged_7fold, on may 09, 2006

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: This amp has many features and effects such as: chorus/flanger, phaser, tremolo (all in one knob), In the second knob it has: delay, tape echo, sweep echo. It has many sound modes such as, insane, metal, blues, twang, clean and more. The amp is stereo/solidstate. // 9

Sound: I'm using 2 gold humbuckers on my Hp signature series Peavey guitar (best sound quality). It does suit my style because its a small guitar and its easier to solo and do fast riffs. No, my guitar isn't noisy at all nither is the amp. I put mine on treble, I can squeel and everything and gives a nice deathy head crushing distortion out of it. And as for enviroments I hope you mean my basement. The amp can make many sounds, from clean, to insane, it has blues, twang, metal, and crunch, suitable for anyone, it does take a week or 2 to program but once ytiu have that down, your amp shall fail you not. The celan channel on full is even cleaner then on low. I put my clean on minor delay, on my guitr I put it on rhythm ot get a bassy stadium sound and also on ful reverb. The distortion will kill you when you put it loud, I actually put the amp on full and my friend heard ot from across the main street on his street and the amp didnt crap out or fall apart at all, thats how loud it is, deffinetly a gig/practise amplifier. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, considering that I had just bought this, I tried at least 50 other amps, I spent weeks at Long & Mcquade Choosing, buying, Reurning many amps. I first had a 0 Watt Epiphone, then a 15 watt Peavey (sucked), Then a 40 watt Traynor (worst amp every, crapped out 7 times and 2 week warrenty). So I saved for this one. I would totally use this amp at a gig without a backup. This amp is the greatest. This amp will not breakdown. If you get upset and kick the hell out of it nopting willhappen, jump on it, off ot whatever, itll still work. It weighs a lot though. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, only, occasionaly I play nirvana (my limit), Yes, this totally suits my souind, it has that kind of bassy Anthrax sound and then you can set it anyhin from freaking greenday to Slayer to Bodom, you dont need any pedals, just the FBV Shortboard (check my review on that in a week). I don't wish to ask anything, me getting this amp was like fate. Hell yes I would get the same amp, broken not broken, I love the new Line 6 Spiders, the stacks and everything. I absolutely love the distortion, it rules. My favourite feature is the phaser and dealy, I also never stop using reverb its sound lke I'm in a stadium, when I play Van Halen's Eruption and but the phaser on minum and the drive on full and the reverb on and I turn the master half way, It feels like a concert. yes, I compared it with almost every amp with over 30 watts such as marshalls, traynors (never buy a Traynor) and Voxs and Fenders. Nothing compares at all. yah, this is the way to go coming from a 13 year old kid who plays awesome. // 10

Spider 112 Reviewed by: hendrixman91, on august 16, 2006

Purchased from: GuitarCenter

Features: This amp is amazing! It has 6 amp models that all sound great (clean, blues, twang, crunch, metal and insane). I don't even use my effects pedal anymore because it sounds so good without it. It has 4 channels but you can get 32 if you by the pedal. I just got this amp so I have only practiced in my room but I will be jamming with friends soon. // 10

Sound: I use it with a Fender strat standard hh with stock pickups. I can play anything that I want with this amp. I mostly play classic rock but I like most other stuff to. It sounds great when I play it quiet, not muffled at all. It can make a bunch of sounds like chorus flange, sweep echo, tremelo, delay, phaser and tape echoand reverb. The clean sounds great and when I kick it into insane mode it sounds like Slayer. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I depend on this amp and I would definately play it at a gig with no backup. My amp has not had any problems so far and I expect it to stay that way. I got a 2 year waranty just in case. I could use any of my presets and it would sound great. The warranty was only 25 dollars so I thought it was worth it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, this amp is a great match. I have been playing for almost 3 years. I have a DigiTech RP50 and a Dunlop crybaby. I would buy it again if it was stolen. I love the clean and the distortion, they both sound great. My favorite feature is the different amp models.it could also be smaller because it is kind of bulky. I wish it had an acoustic simulator but other than that this thing rocks! // 10

Spider 112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 31, 2008

Features: This amp was made in 2004 to my understanding. I've owned this amp for nearly a year and I'm strongly considering buying something better. I play hard rock, metal, blues, mellow alternative. This amp is cheap in price and you hear that in the sound. You get what you pay for. This is possibly the worst amp for clean tones, it's terrible. A real let down. There are a wide range of channels which arnt all that great. One thing is the amp cranks, very loud. Tone doesnt't get better/worse with higher volume but when your @ band and there's a Marshall sitting across from you, you really hear the diffference. // 5

Sound: I use a Epiphone V with EMG 81 pickups. it's alright with hard rock/metal but like I said, next to a Marshall it doesnt't compare. There is a build in noise gate. I never have any trouble with feedback which is great. Some of the effects are pretty good, the delays are cool and chorus is pretty bad. Like I said, cleans are terrible. It's really brings the amp right down. The brutal distortion "insane" is way too much. Seriously, you don't need that much gain otherwise it gets way too muddy and sounds pretty shite. I use the crunch and metal with gains on low. Kill the treble also. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It holds up alright. I've never needed a backup amp while gigging. And never had any troubles with it. I am pretty careful with it. I don't break my axes over it. There's nothing on the open-backed rear except for the AC inlet and a chunky heatsink. This model is loaded with a single 12" Celestion. // 7

Overall Impression: All sorts. I want to learn all aspects of guitar. I play in a hard rock alternative band. It works out alright not sitting next to a Marshall though. It's just so much clearer. I wouldn't buy it again if it were stolen. I hate the cleans and the dull look of the amp itself. It's also a great beer holder. // 5

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review