Spider 210 Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 11/22/2005 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Line 6: Spider 210
Designed to deliver great tone and performance flexibility to guitarists who typically would not be able to afford such luxury, Spider 210 offers more sonic integrity and tonal variety than other amps in its price range, plus it's stereo.
 Features: 9.5
 6.7
 8.7
 4.6
reviews (3) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Spider 210 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 01, 2005

Features: Some of its main features are 7 digital effects, 10 factory presets, 4 user programmable channels, and a head phone jack. The effects are extrememly versatile, and with the FB4 pedal setup you can modify each channel (with a boost of gain, volume, tone, etc) by standing on the channel selector instead of just tapping it. Amp will satisfy every style of play. I can't think of any features I would want that it doesn't have. The 2x10s provide more than enough volume, but unfortunately I've never had it up all the way due to the thin walls of my apartment building. It is plenty powerful for home use. // 10

Sound: Sounds great with my 2000 Mexican Stratocaster (3 single coil pups) in every style of play. The clean is clean at all volume levels, and the "insane" setting provides more distortion than I would ever use (not into metal). I've been able to recreate a lot of popular sounds with the various settings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can't really give a reliability rating because I've only had it for a week. However, it is not a brand new amp, I am the second owner, and it survived a cross country shipment, so I'll give it a 3 based on that. It hasn't given me any problems so far. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, I am very impressed with this amp. It gives me the versatility and quality that I wanted without paying an arm and a leg. The only thing that would prevent me from buying this or any other Line 6 amp again is if it turns out to be unreliable. // 10

Spider 210 Reviewed by: samuraiguy, on april 04, 2005

Sound: Since the Spider is a modelling amp, it is perfect for a person that is exploring different genres of music and playing styles. But none of the modelled amps or effects compete with what they are trying to replicate. The clean and twang are very similar; they are clean sounding when the drive is turned down but when the drive is turned up the sound becomes slightly muddy. The three distortion models (recto, crunch, and insane) are powerful and with the adjustment of the drive knob a large assortment of different tones can be created. The insane model can be insane. The distorion has a dirty metal vibe but can sometimes sound to dirty and a bit corny. Despite that when the amp is cranked the insane model has very powerful sustain. I personally find the blues model the weakest. It has a light distortion sound but has little sustain or bite. All of the effects sound good and are great to experiment with, but they do not have the pressence of the effects that they sound like. The wah pedal on the floorboard is again great to experiment with, but lacks tonal variety. This amp is perfect for a intermediate player looking to experiment and to play around with their sound, but probably would not suit a player with a set sound and playing style. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp is the perfect amp to experiment with. Even though you cannot have both the flange and chorus on at the same time, or the tremolo and flange on at the same time it is still ridiculously versatile. The floorboard comes in handy a lot, and the wah pedal is a lot of fun. At times the effects can appear shallow because you do not have the ability to mold the sound such as using a pedal but they certanly sound good. This is a great amp that is very durable and is perfect for playing at home or with a band (and is loud enough to compete with a drummer). // 8

Spider 210 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 22, 2005

Features: The Spider II is a totally awesome amp. It has twelve chanels from clean to insane. It also has effects. I like the chorus and the delay it just seems like some of the other effects are a bit over the top. 120 watts of power cranks! I have barely turned it past 3 on the green metal chanel without shaking the house. It is a solid state amp but Line 6 did a great job in making so so the louder you turn it it almost starts sounding better. // 9

Sound: I find this amp is best used with humbuckers. You can get some great metal tones if you adjust the knobs. I found that most of the presets suck and that it takes a few weeks to figure out how to get some good tones This is a great amp for people who enjoy playing Heavy metal, blues and hard rock. It is not the greatest when it comes to getting those classic crunch tones I am yet to find a good one. This amp can also be used kind of like a Line 6 POD if you run a cable out of the head phone jack and through the effects return of a quality tube amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It has never broken down (yet). Construction seems good. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I think it is a great amp. I highly recomend it for people who are starting out and want everything all in one package. I have some Ibanezes and a Fender Stratocaster and they all are cabable of sounding great on this amp you just have to find the right settings. If it were stolen I would definetly consider buying another one although the amount of power is a bit unnecessary for just jamming in the house. // 9

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review