Spider II 15 Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 02/10/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Line 6: Spider II 15
Spider II 15 delivers an unheard of range of tones for its size. This compact powerhouse has a dedicated distortion boost, noise gate, and the revolutionary Smart Control FX.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.4
 Features: 8.9
 7.7
 8.3
 7.1
reviews (18) pictures (2) 42 comments vote for this gear:
Spider II 15 Reviewed by: Kizashmir, on july 18, 2005

Features: The amp was made in late 2003 in China, this amp is perfect for a metal, hard rock sound. It has 4 channels (clean, crunch, metal, insane) with a push button channel switch. It does include a headphone jack. The only thing they could of included was a footswitch for the channels. I use this amp for practice for my band and home use. This thing is a powerhouse compared to my friends amp. // 10

Sound: I use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus with Emg's. It suits my music style perfectly, which is mostly metal. The amp can be noisy if you crank it up all the way but does not change in different areas. The amp can go from nice clean blues, to super fast thrash metal in a second. The clean channel is sometimes distorted at high volumes, but can be adjusted if needed. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on this amp more than a Marshall. I would use another amp, mostly because this one is digital, and does not get very loud, so I would either get a bigger one or a non digital one. The amp has never broken down and does not seem it is going to. // 10

Overall Impression: I played this amp a guitar center and it was a perfect match, the crunch channel simulates and old Marshall Plexi hi watt, for that Jimmy Page sound. The metal channel simulates a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, for that heavy Metallica-ish sound. If it was stolen, I would not buy this, I would go for the 30 watt with the 12" speaker. // 10

Spider II 15 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 13, 2005

Features: My Line6 Spider II 15 amplifier was made in China probably recent, late 2004 to about now. This is simply my most favorite amp I've been on. Which isn't really saying much considering I've been on two Fender amps that weren't as hardcore as this. It's got enough power to make my floor shake with the insane control on and not even full-blast! This amp is more versatile than I could ever imagine. Switching from Come As You Are on clean mode with reverb to the most classic Jimi Hendrix Star Spangled Banner on insane mode with a little reverb and phaser. If I could play it correctly, which most of it I can, it would sound exactly like it! This goes switching goes on and on into my music styles, mainly alternative. This is righteous hardware here kids. Four channels, clean (auto-FX like sweep or possibly tape echo and I believe what to be a small tremolo), crunch, metal, and the last but not least insane. Channel switching is done by hand, sadly. The two effect knobs have, on the first, chorus flange, phaser, and tremolo, and on the second, sweep and tape echo and reverb. There is also a tap delay time button to show you at what rate the Echos are repeating at with a flashing light. When reverb is on, it is a solid light. The master knob controls overall sound without, get this, changing your tone! There is also a channel volume which controls the distortion, bass, mid-range, and treble knobs. You can also have two simultaneous effects going at the same time with the effects knobs, called the Smart Control FX. It has a headphone jack which doubles as a record out port. Also, there is a CD/mp3 port to plug in your favorite tune to jam with! I haven't tried out many combinations yet because I like the sounds I already make so much I don't feel like losing them! There is also a sound-save feature where you create your on effects or sound and you can save it. Wait! There's still more! You can also look in the pilot's guide to find out how to get a distortion boost and noise gate! If this amp doesn't have every feature that I don't have or need, then I want a refund! The 15watt amp is plenty powerful for screwing around with the insane mode to actually playing through a song. I also think this has enough power for about an 8" by 10" bedroom, like my own. // 10

Sound: My guitar would be a Schecter Gryphon with Duncan Designed humbuckups considering it has a function where you can use both the humbuckers and pickups at the same time for a tidier tone. It seems to suit any style you can throw at it. I've screwed around with the insane control and power chords for a hardcore death metal feel but I've also played nice, warm, and bright renditions of the Star Spangled Banner. My style is mostly 90s alternative including Nirvana, Green Day and Sum 41. It is only noisy when you want it to be noisy. I've only played it in one environment besides Guitar Center - my bedroom. It definately suits it well. See Features for feel of sounds the amp can make and the options to have fun with. I do believe I hear a hiss on Clean but I know I have a couple knobs turned to unwanted levels for Clean tones so I just go with it. This amp is the atomic bomb of all distortion ever. The Insane control brings distortion to an all new level. You must try this amp metal-heads! // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well, I'm not sure if this would have the power to do a gig, maybe in a small enclosure like coffee-shop size. If I were to desire to use it in a larger venue then I'm guessing I would need a branch-amp if that's possible. I've only had it for a little while (like a couple weeks) and it hasn't done anything break-down like yet. // 8

Overall Impression: I won't delay you people any longer and I'll just say look at the Sounds section then read my following comments in this one. I'd probably get a Spider II 30 instead for the extra power and the foot switch controls if it were stolen or lost. And if were stolen and broken I'd get it fixed, and in that I'd have them swap out the 15's guts and put in the foot switch inlet somewhere on it. I didn't try out any other amp because I knew this was going to be the one I wanted no matter because of the versatility and the things I liked about it mentioned in the above sections. All I wish it had was a foot switch inlet. And maybe a little more power. // 8

Spider II 15 Reviewed by: WaitingForTime, on december 21, 2005

Purchased from: Long & Mcquade

Features: My Line 6 Spider II 15 amp was made in china probably in 2003 or 2004. This is a very versitile amp. It has four channels (clean, crunch, metal, and insane). The insane channel is just amazing! It has so much distortion and yet in between playing theres no noise or anything thanks to the noisegate. This amp has two effects knobs called smart control FX, which can work simultaneously, that give you chorus, flange, phaser, tremelo, sweep echo, tape echo, and reverb. It has a headphone jack, which is good for practicing at home, and also a CD/mp3 port so you can play along with your favorite tunes! This amp is very powerful, and for 15 watts, its pretty impressive. // 10

Sound: I'm using this amp with a Fat Strat and it sounds great. I play alot of styles (classic rock, punk rock, metal, alternative, modern rock, blues) and it can fit them all very nicely. Like I said, the insane channel is awesome, it has very high gain that is really good for metal. This amp can suit basically any style you throw at it. I highly recommend this amp for beginners, but its also great for intermediate and advanced players. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very sturdy and dependable, I've had it for a year now and so far nothing has broken yet. Suprisingly I had used this amp to perform in front my school in the gym, and I have to say it was more than loud enough and it wasn't even at full volume! It was beside my friends Kustom 35 watt amp and it just owned his amp! This amp is very reliable and its just awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is very well worth the price, it's a very good quality amp and it's affordable as well. I'm very familiar with the Line 6 products and I'm very glad I chose this amp. I love everything about this amp, and if it were stolen, id probably upgrade to the Spider II 30 or the 112 for some extra power and the footswitch control but still this amp is very powerful. You could play this amp for hours on end it it would still own, I just love this amp! // 10

Spider II 15 Reviewed by: bowtieboy, on march 07, 2005

Features: It's brand new and is an amazing amp. It has 4 modes: clean, crunch, metal, and insane. It is very versatile is addicting. I can't really think of any features I wish it had. I use this amp for practise and it is definitly powerful enough. I really like the features on this it has chorus flange, phaser, tremolo, sweep echo, tape echo, reverb and alot more! // 10

Sound: It sounds great and the best part of the insane channel is that even if you don't know any solos, just seshing on it sounds like you're a pro. It works best with a guitar with a wambecker if you want lots of range from soft to hard. It suits any styles from jazz to heavy metal. It's only noisy on metal and insane because of distortion which is obvious. The distortion in insane is pretty brutal but it sounds awesome. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a pretty reliable amp but it wouldn't be suited for a gig because it's digital and isn't quite loud enough. It's very durable and reliable so I give it a 5. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all styles of music on this but mostly rock or hard rock and it suits all types well. If it were stolen or lost I would be very sad and buy another one immediatly. I love everything about it and don't hate a thing. My favorite feature is definitly the insane mode you can play for hours and the only thing stopping you is your hand getting tired. // 10

Spider II 15 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2005

Purchased from: Mccormack

Features: Where to start. With four channels there is a mountain of choice to set it up like. The effects are also brilliant with the reverb making you sound like you are in a cave and the tremello doing what it is designed for. What makes this stand out from others like the Marshall MG15DFX is that you can have more effects going at once. I onced used it for gigging with it being beside a Fender frontman and it was louder than it was with it being at its highest and this being about halfway. The only drawback is that it doesn't have the footswitch like its bigger brothers like the Spider II 30. // 10

Sound: I'm currently using a Strat lookalike that was quite cheap. On my other amp (a Stagg CA-10) it was sounding quite dull but this amp made it gig worthy. The distortion sounds best on the metal channel but there is a brain melting amount on the insane channel. Mainly I play the likes of Green Day, The Offspring, Blink 182 andothers like this. It can be hard to find the setting you like but there is a lot of margin for error. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on this a lot. If it were stolen I would get it back at the same level. It could handel a small gig but for large gigs I would go with the larger models like the heads or the 112 or 212 for extra volume as they are massive. I've only had it a couple of months and there has not been the slightest mark or damage to it. // 10

Overall Impression: Generally it is suited for the rock, metal type of music and it sounds much better than on the clean settings. I've been playing for almost 2 years and if in the unseeable future that it get badly damaged I would get another spider amp. Before getting this I had asked for the Marshall MG15DFX but was told for my needs this was better, and it is. There is not much missing from it appart from the foot switch but that is forgivable in what I got for such a great price. // 10

Spider II 15 Reviewed by: Guitar(V)asta, on february 22, 2007

Features: The amp was perfect for the styles I play. I like to play hard rock and metal types of music and it had four different seetings for different types of music (clean, crunch, metal, and insane). It has many different distortion effect such as reverb, phaser, and echo. Plus many other distortion effects. I have used them all, and love mixing effects to create different sounds. I don't know what year the amp was made in, but it has so many features that I can't think of any that I wish it had. I use the amp in my room and it definately has enough power for me. This thing is loud! // 9

Sound: I use it with all kinds of styles such as hard rock and metal. The amp can echo and phase and even have the same effects as a wah-wah. It definately suits my music style. Which as I stated above is hard rock and metal. Yes, it is noisy, but I don't mean that in a bad way, I mean it in the best way possible. On all the settings it can be the same level of loudness unless you turn it down, and some such as insane setting makes it sound louder but it really isnt. No the clean channel is not distorted at high volumes unless you use the distortion effects. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would definately use it in a gig over any other amp I have ever used (Besides a huge stack amp), the amo has never broken down, and I never neglect it cause it's such a great experience playing it. Very reliable and very durable. // 9

Overall Impression: I play hard rock and metal, and the amp is a great match for it because of the Metal and Insane settings. I have been playing for three years and I own a wah-wah, an acoustic guitar, and my electric is an exact replica of a Gibson Les Paul (not sure if it's real or not). If it was stolen I would definately buy it again because it was a great price for all the effects it has. There's nothing I wished I asked because I was given all the info straight up. I love the different settings and effects, and there is nothing I hate about it. I do wish it had a second plug in for another guitar. I did compare it to others in the store (amps from Yamaha and other companies) and still picked this one because of the effects and seetings it had. // 9

Spider II 15 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 10, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar, Amp and Keyboard

Features: I think mine is a 2009/2010. It is quite a unique amp, considering some of it's features. It has 4 channels, a clean channel, a crunch channel, a "metal"/overdrive channel and finally an "insane" channel which is another distortion. There are obviously standard EQ controls. There's a headphone jack and also an MP3 plug in as well which is quite good fun to use. You have 2 sets of effects including chorus/flange, delay, tremolo, reverb and also some other delay/echo effects. The amp has a custom built Line 6 speaker and is 15 watts. Overall, there are definitely some useful features on there which can be used to generate various sounds. // 9

Sound: The sound is where the amp maybe doesn't do so well. Starting with clean: The clean channel I found perfectly usable. You can get a range of different clean sounds using the effects. I'd say the clean is the best bit of the amp. Crunch channel: I suppose this channel is based on a Marshall sound. Is okay sounding but really is not brilliant at all. I had a hard time trying to get a Marshall sound. There is a certain warmth to this channel which is good but then again it is just a very sterile clean/crunchy sound which isn't very usable. Metal channel: This channel is probably based on a Mesa Boogie sort of sound. Again, it isn't brilliant but is okay for beginners. If this is supposed to replicate a Rectifier then it doesn't do exceedingly well. It isn't really expert ear's distortion but does the job. Insane channel: There isn't really any need for this channel. It seems to just suck the tone and give you a rather dreadful sound. I recommend if you are gonna use this channel then don't use the effects because it just makes it sound even worse than it potentially is. I would say this channel is fairly unusable. It is based on a Line 6 amp which probably doesn't make matters any better. As for effects. The chorus, delay and reverb are the only good ones. Unless you're making some ridiculous sounds then you won't need the other silly, mediocre and utterly pointless effects which are hardly usable. Overall, the sounds the amp generates are okay for beginners who don't know much but past that level it really just isn't good. Apart from the chorus, delay and reverb, some of the effects are a waste of space. Another thing: Pedals sound HORRIBLE through this amp. I guess this is because the speaker is just designed for the sounds on there and not for pedals. The speaker is some custom crap so it probably contributes to some of the bad sounds. My distortion pedal sounded for some reason like it had a phaser on it when it didn't and my chorus pedal crackled. DON'T USE PEDALS WITH THIS AMP!!! // 5

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very rugged, just a shame it doesn't sound that good. It has a very solid structure and definitely won't fall apart anytime soon. I wouldn't be surprised if something went wrong with the circuitry and electronics/speaker as they are probably of not very good quality. (For the speaker, that's a fact.) I wouldn't use this amp live simply because of the sounds but otherwise wouldn't have a problem. I would take a backup I think just because of the electronics not being amazing. // 7

Overall Impression: Well I've been quite critical but it was for the best really. I don't recommend this amp. There are definitely better ones out there. (Marshall, Fender etc.) I actually don't even use this amp anymore. I just thought I would just say a few things about it so you get a better idea of what it is like. It served me well through my beginner stages but now unfortunately doesn't cut it. Overall, this amp is good for beginners if you really are on a tight budget, otherwise get something else-definitely do. There are 1 or 2 usable sounds, but nothing special at all. There are some pointless and tacky effects but also some usable ones. The amp has a solid structure, but I am not sure on how long the electronics and speaker will last. It's not really an amp to keep and I probably will sell mine. (I'll be happy if I get 10 pounds for it.) // 5

Spider II 15 Reviewed by: Crazytrain_8201, on september 25, 2006

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I bought this amp in almost new condition off ebay for about 100$ Candian. It has 4 channles: Clean, Crunch, Metal and Insane. I use this amp with my Epihone Les Paul Black Beauty and I can't complain, 3 pickups on one guitar with an amp where you don't need to buy a bunch of pedals to get the effects you want. Heck, this amp has a programable phaser, tremolo effect, chorus flange, sweep and tape echo and reverb. And the rest is the stuff that comes standard on a small practice amp (drive, Bass, Mid, Treble and channel volume). With all the features, this amp kicks ass. // 10

Sound: I play an Epi Les Paul Black Beauty with 3 humbuckers. I play classic rock, heavy metal and more on this practice amp and this amp plays good enough and it plays very well, (just as good as a Marshall or peavy practice amp). I play usually at 1/4 of the master volume and 1/2 at the channel setting (1/8th of what the amp can do) and my mom still tells me to turn it down so for a small 15 watt, this is the best you'll get. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this amp is very durable and strong. I'd never use it at a gig when I can use the kick ass amps that are usually on stage. But I really depend on this one cause it's the only one I can practice with and I doubt it will break. If I breaks it, it's because I blasted it which will prolly not be the case with me. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before, this amp is perfect for me so if you play Classic rock, Heavy Metal, death metal etc, this amp will prolly suit your style. It's probably also good for emo and punk music. If it were stolen, I'd call my insurance company and buy a new one. My favourite feature is pretty every extras on this amp. I haven't found one thing I hate from this amp so chances are you won't either. // 10

Spider II 15 Reviewed by: line6playa15, on october 18, 2006

Features: It is solid state.The amp was made in 2005. I use the amp for practice and like the effects and tone. Could be better. I prefure a tube amp, but for practice this thing was cheap and very versitile for what it is. I wish it had a more tube sound. It has plenty of power for practice. I have cranked it up and it is very loud for it's size. It is solid state. // 7

Sound: I use an Ibanez Gax70 and an Epiphone Les Paul both with humbucker pickups. It suits my style of clean to rock. It is a little noisy in the insane mode but I use a POD XT live and it has a gate whitch prevents any noise. I can make a lot of sounds. It has six effects. The clean is clean and the distortion is distorted. It offers the insane distortion settings and they are as brutal as they get. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is pretty durable. I wouldn't use it at a gig just because of the small size. It just isnt big enough. I use it all the time and it has never broken. I would depend on it at like a coffee shop but nothing bigger than that. It's not a tube amp so there's no need to replace those. I love the way the amp can be used. It is very versitile. Good amp to start out on or for practice. // 8

Overall Impression: I was impressed by the sheer volume this little amp puts out. It can rattle windows. Lets just say it can hold its own. I would probably buy it again for a practice amp. It is awesome for a practice amp. I compared it to similar Fender and similar Vox amps, but picked this one just because of the versatility. I don't really wish it had anything else. It's awesome for practice and that's what it was made for. // 8

Spider II 15 Reviewed by: punkrocker25, on may 09, 2007

Features: Very good amp in terms of playing all different styles, I use a squire bullet so it alone has very little versatility but having the four built in channels and 6 effects really helps create several unique sounds, I play mostly rock and punk and it is really good for that. It has 4 channels (clean, crunch, metal, & insane) which you Switch with the push of a button, as well as a headphone jack and a line out. I wish it had a connection for a pedal because it is near impossible to get a smooth switch between effects during the middle of a song without using a pedal. This is my practice amp so I have plenty of power with the 15W however it isnt all that I would want. // 9

Sound: My Squier Bullet has one humbucker and I use it for rock and punk and it sounds really nice with this amp, no excess noise whatsoever. All the channels sound good and not fake, goes all the way from crisp clean, to punk crunch, rock (metal setting mostly), and insane for a very distorted channel. The six effects are also very cool however I only find myself using reverb mainly and just on the clean channel. I love the range that this amp has as a beginner amp but obviously a higher wattage is always nice especially for local shows. // 7

Reliability & Durability: You can definitely depend on this amp, it is constructed very solid with rubber corners, but it is an open back amp. good for practicing with yourself or band. It hasn't failed me yet and the channels have all been consistent. Very reliable for any beginning player, it will sure make a lot better sound than any of the amps you get in those 'guitar packs'. I only spent around $400 on my beginning set and it is quite a good starter, durable, dependable and great on the budget. // 8

Overall Impression: I find the Line 6 Spider II 15 Watt is a good practice amp and works well with my punk rock style, and it is also good when I play clean. It makes my low end guitar sound better. If I was to buy a new amp I would definitely upgrade to something higher wattage and better known like a Marshall half that I am looking at, but it is good for the beginner Who doesn't have a whole lot of cash$. My favourite thing is the channel range and effects and it does get pretty loud for 15 watts, but I would definitely like more power behind it. // 8

Spider II 15 Reviewed by: josh c, on july 12, 2007

Features: I play a lot of different genres, mainly punk and a lot of Metallica, it has 4 different channels, clean, crunch, metal and insane, it has a headphone/record output and another input for ipods, hifis, ect. It has some built in effects, chorus flange, phaser, tremolo, sweep echo, tape echo and a reverb. There is also a tap delay so you can choose the time of the delay easily. It has drive, bass, mid, treble, chanel volume adjustments. I use this amp at home and practicing with the band and I'm sure it will do for a small gig. For 15 watts this amp is great. The only thing wrong with the amp is that it dosnt have a channel switching input. // 9

Sound: This amp can suit loads of genres, it has a nice clean tone and really good distortion (especialy on insane) somtimes it buzzes when it's really loud but can be sorted if you fiddle around with the settings. Overall the sound is great. It is very loud for 15 watts, the distortion is probaly the best thing on this amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp. I would use this at a gig without backup. It has never broken down and iv had no problems at all with it and it's 2nd hand. The amp is well built and you can tell it is built to take whatever hits it. Everything is well fitted. The amp has taken some hits while moving it aound and still works perfectly. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp will match anything you want to play, I have been playing for just over a year and a half and I have a strat copy, the amp before this was a 0 Watt and is nothing compared to this amp. I'd get the same amp if it was lost or stolen, I compared this to a peavy (dunno which model) and it is way better. // 10

Spider II 15 Reviewed by: RollingFree, on august 03, 2007

Features: Alright, first off, I'm not sure about the date of the amp but I'm thing along the lines of 2004. It has four channels, Clean, Crunch for your overdrive tone, Metal for your deep metal dound, Insane, for high gain tone. It also has some effetcs built in such as tremelo, chorus, phaser, reverb, delay ect. Althouh the effect aren't as good as a pedal, I like to mess around with them some times. I mainly use this amp in my room jamming with myself or another guitarist/bass. It is only 15 watts but you'd be suprized on how lud it can get. It also has some hidden features such as noisegate and distortion boost. // 10

Sound: For me, I play anywhere to The Strokes, to Slayer, to Decapitated. I'm all over the map, and this amp can support that. Some people say that it sounds way to digital, but it's something I can Live with because it's just a practice modeling amp. One complaint I have about the amp is the distortion is it's not the best you'll find, but is still good and brutal(if you want it to be). It can get a little noisy but, when the noise gate is on, annoying noise. // 7

Reliability & Durability: No promblems and I think I never will. It seems to be looking amp. I do travel with the amp in the car, but holds up fine. I even dropped it a couple times too. If I were to a gig with this amp (if it were bigger) I wouldn't use a back up. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I am happy with it, but If it were stolen, I'd buy another amp. If you are a begginer and don't want to spend a lot of money on your first amp, go for it, but if you want something in the long run, get another amp. I have been play a little over a year and I'm playing it through a Ibanez IC400 Iceman. I was going to get the Roland 15x cube, but Line 6 seemed more pretty. // 8

Spider II 15 Reviewed by: Celotex, on october 15, 2007

Features: This amp in my opinion never deserved to make it to the market. It was made in 2004. First the clean channel. Don't even get me started on this channel! It sounds very digital and Echoes a lil too much! The crunch is the best channel on the amp and it is still not even good. This channel doesn't sound digital, but it doesn't really have a crunchy hard/classic rock sound! The metal channel is just like a metal band who decided to go into the digital world. The insane channel is the second best channel. But, I have to admit that channel is good for tapping! // 3

Sound: I am using a Gibson Les Paul Studio and this amp kills the tone. I play mostly classic rock, so this amp doesn't really suit me. It is noisy if you don't turn off the noise gate so if you enjoy this amp turn the noise gate off. As I said before I think the insane is good for that shredding/tapping sound. The distortion is not even cool it's digital. The effects on this amp are very bad also especially reverb. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Its too durable because I've tried to break it in order to get a new amp. It has too good of a warranty too! I've neglected it and it still won't break. So if you want and amp to show you grandchildren buy this but don't play this because someone will call 911. // 7

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and this amp does not do me good because I don't do a lot of tapping. I've been playing for One year and I would reccomend an Epiphone Valve Junior or a Roland Micro Cube. If it were stolen or lost I would have a celebration because I hate this amp! I wish I got a Epi Valve Junior. I hate everything about this amp. // 3

Spider II 15 Reviewed by: metalriff735, on july 28, 2009

Purchased from: ebay

Features: Not entirely sure when this amp was made but it seems to be only a few years old. I only got this amp recently, but so far I am loving it. It is a very versatile, and can be used for many different genres such as blues, rock and metal. You can plug a guitar, headphones and a MP3 player (for playing along to music) all at once. Some of the effects I doubt I'll use however there nice to have and experiment with. For a 15 watt amp it is actually very loud, though I wouldn't use it at a gig. // 10

Sound: I'm currently using this amp with my Stratocaster copy (which has traditional 3 single coil pickups), I'm using it mostly for rock and metal. I must say the distortion is incredible! Especially when on the "Insane" channel. Most of the time though I have it on the "Metal" channel, as the "Insane" can be a bit much, and it does buzz more while on insane. The "Clean" channel I haven't used much, and it seems to be fairly average, though it gets the job done fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Like I said earlier I haven't had this amp very long, but so far so good. I'm not sure if I'd use it at a gig (though it is probaly loud enough). If I was at a gig I'd probaly use this amp, though I think I would bring a backup amp that was bigger than this one, just in case it wasn't loud enough (depends on how big the gig was though). Amp seems to be well made though, it's old but doesn't appear to damaged at all. // 8

Overall Impression: I mostly play rock and metal, and this amp is perfect for it. I've been playing for 6-7 months now, using a small 0 Watt practise amp that I didn't really like. After getting this amp I doubt I'll need a new one for a very long time. I haven't got any effects pedals, though I was thinking about getting a distortion pedal, but I don't think I need one now as the distortion on this amp is great (the effects are good too). If it were stolen I'd definatly buy another one. My favourite feature is probaly the different channels, as you can get lots of different sounds out of it. I do wish it had a Wah effect on it though, if it had that it would be (for me) the perfect amp. // 9

Spider II 15 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 05, 2010

Features: I bought my amp in 2006, when it was coming to the end of its production run, and was replaced with the spider 3, which in many ways is almost identical to its predecessor, however I prefer the tone of the Spider 2. The Spider 3 is a little bass heavy for my liking. There are 4 channels: clean, crunch, metal and insane. This is the only Spider series amp not to be footswitch compatible, which is ok for practicing at home but when I'm playing with my band it does become an issue. The solution to the problem is 85 pounds spent on a Boss ML-2 Metal Core :p The amp has built in reverb and chorus/flanger controls. The reverb gives a great sound when trying to get an Acoustic feel playing clean. The chorus is good too, although the times you will really need to use it are limited. Again a footswitch would be nice. // 8

Sound: I mainly play a Jackson JS30 RR with the stock pickups and it produces a great tone with the Spider 2. I recently had a go with a friend's Fender 15R and the Spider blows it out of the water for tone and sound quality. The Fender is tinny and sounds like the speaker on a phone; the Spider gives a warm full bodied sound. The clean channel is just that, and you have to really batter out power chords at full volume to get anything other than a clean tone, and if you're into battering out power chords, chances are you wont be using the clean channel very often. The crunch channel gives a warm, tube like overdrive, and sounds great for playing classic rock stuff like Hendrix and Led Zeppelin. The metal channel is the worst of the four, as it is slightly tinny and thin on tone. It is also somewhat unneccessary, as crunch covers all the classic rock sounds, and anyone serious about playing metal will use the insane channel. The insane channel gives great high-gain distortion, and with use of the "drive" control can give anything ranging from 80s metal to heavily distorted death metal sounds. I mainly play early metallica and megadeth type material, and it sounds great on the insane channel. I would actually say it gives a better distorted tone than my Boss ML2, and if it came with a footswitch I would have no need for it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had my amp for over 3 years and so far I haven't had any problems. I'm not overly careful with it so it's got lots of small scratches, although it's never been in a big accident. It's a solid state amp, so in theory you should be able to give it quite a beating without anything more than superficial damage. // 9

Overall Impression: I play in a thrash metal band, and we really only do small gigs, and it is more than capable of coping with such situations. I've been playing 4 years, although I'm young and have no income, so this is my amp for the forseeable future, and that's fine with me, because it does everything I ask of it. If it were to be stolen the odds of me hunting down the person and killing them (which seems to be the standard answer for these) is fairly slim, as I am 5' 4 and 7 stone, and they could clobber me with the stolen amplifier anyway. Unfortunately this model is no longer in production, so I would probably save up and go for something a bit bigger, but if anyone's in the market for an amp of this size and they see one of these for sale, I encourage them to buy it. I don't know anyone else who has a Spider 2, but it blows all my friends' Fenders and Roland Cubes away in terms of sheer sound quality. I would honestly say it is the best sounding solid state amp I have ever heard, especially in Insane mode. The only misgiving is the lac of a footswitch, but neither the Fender or the Roland have a footswitch either, and the Marshall MG15 is about 50 pounds more expensive. Also, in Dave Mustaine's interview on youtube where he speaks about his new Dean signature series, the practice amp sitting beside the sofa is a Line 6 Spider 2. Just thought you might like to know:p // 10

Spider II 15 Reviewed by: katalyzt13, on july 26, 2010

Purchased from: Internet

Features: I'm not sure what year this amp was manufactored. I have owned it for about 3 years. I play a very wide range of music from outlaw country to thrash metal to grunge... I'm all over the map. This amp can play any style. I would like to have a footswitch for channels, but can't be expected at the price. I use this amp at home for practice and to Jam with friends, and it definitely outperforms what you would expect from a 15W solid state amp. This amp has 4 channels - clean, crunch, metal and insane and the 4 channels are pretty much what they say they are. This has 2 "smart FX" knobs, and each knob lets you choose between 3 effects. A total of 6 effects but only 2 at once can be used. I was unimpressed with the delay, but I also use delay in an unorthodox manner. I run my signal through an Ibanex DE7 before I get to the amp for my delay needs. The other effects seem pretty solid. There have been complaints about the reverb on some other reviews for this amp, and I have to say I found nothing wrong with the reverb - it sounds fine, but it is definitely a digital reverb and not analog. // 9

Sound: I have used multiple guitars with this amp, and multiple pickup configurations. Some other reviews have complained about noise on the metal and insane channels, but I haven't experienced any unwanted noise. This amp has a great clean tone, great tones in crunch for anything from classic rock to grunge. The metal setting is great for what it is made for, and the insane channel is great for thrash metal, tapping, etc. Other reviews have made complaints about the clean channel, and I have to say, if you are willing to spend some time tweaking knobs you can get a very nice clean tone from this amp, but it seems to take more tweaking than with the other channels. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for a while and it has never broken down with me, has sat in my car for days at a time, has been dropped, ran into, knocked over and no damage. A few small cosmetic scratches. I think that you could probably gig with this amp without backup if the venue was no larger than a large coffee shop. I do have to wonder who would want to gig with a practice modeling amp? // 7

Overall Impression: I play several genres of music and this amp meets my needs. This is a very versatile amp. I have been playing about 4 years, and I've played with a lot of different gear, and this amp, for the price is absolutely amazing. Yes, the sound is a little digital, but not so much that it would affect how I would rate this amp. I love that this amp is small enough to travel around with me, but is loud enough for all my jamming needs. Again, it is really asking for too much at this price, but a footswitch for channels would be nice. I compared this to virtually every mass produced amp you can get for under $200 US dollars and I chose this amp because of the versatility and because I have had good experiences with Line 6. If this was lost/stolen then I would really prefer to go with a higher end amp. Ideally, I would like a Mesa Boogie head with a 2x12 cab and use analog pedals for all of my effects, but in reality and financial constraints I would probably buy a newer slightly larger Line 6 Spider. It really is a solid amp. // 8

Spider II 15 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 26, 2011

Features: Not sure of year made, was an amp the shop picked up from a store that went out of business. The amp had all the tags and paperwork on it. This is a 1 channel amp, that models different sounds using 4 settings that you can Switch by touching the button. It is solid state, but has effects such as reverb, chorus and flange that you can set by using the knobs. For a practice amp, the features are impressive. // 10

Sound: Some of the settings give an impressive tone, while others can curl your ears. It is made to go from clean to blues to classic rock to full out blow your head off, ear bleeding metal. You will have to make adjustments though, but for a practice amp, it's a lot for a very fair price. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Here's where it all falls apart. One day I turned it on and no sound. I thought maybe the jack was the culprit, but nope. I work for an electronics company and one of the engineers took it apart and showed me the problem. The main board was cracked, and it had "masking" on it to hold it. This is the problem with Line 6, it is Chinese CRAP! Plain and simple. My amp sits in a spot and all I do is turn it on, no moving it at all and no sound. Talk to anyone who has owned there Variax guitar and they will tell you the same thing: It' a piece of CRAP. Do yourself a favor, avoid Line 6. They are getting like Crate, using the worst place in China to build their products. // 1

Overall Impression: I would like to say that this would be a great amp for home practice or for someone learning guitar, but to be honest, after talking with other people who own Line 6 amps and guitars, I would say stay away. For a company that has truly made some remarkable products (ie. The Pod), they missed the mark with their amps. Spend a little more and get a Vox or Roland cube, you'll be better off. // 2

Spider II 15 Reviewed by: wazupwiop, on december 21, 2011

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: This amp has a crap ton of features. It has 4 channels and is solid state. The built-in effects really are not that great, and the Drive is iffy. It has a lot of features, but very few of them are quality. The reverb is decent though. It can get REALLY loud, but it can also get really muddy at times. It can be hard to get a clear sound, but EQ and decent pickups fix that. // 7

Sound: The amp's sound is very lackluster. The built-in Drive and effects are pretty aweful sounding. The reverb is probably the best part of the amp. If you only use the clean channel and get all of your dirt from pedals, this may work for you. If you want any gain at all from the amp, look elsewhere. The clean channel is decent, but there are much better amps out there for $50 more. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This is a VERY reliable amp. I have never had an amp-related issue, ever. It is very solid and I have no complaints with durability. I have played it in loud settings and with very bad ground. I have never had an issue, period. Solid state amps are simply rock solid. There are no tubes to change, but the sound is a real issue here. There are better solid state amps on the market like the Vox Valvetronix. This amp was all about reliability but lacks sound quality. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a little bit of everything. I have been playing guitar for 7 years now, and I own a variety of guitars and pedals, but I am just now upgrading my amp. If this were stolen, broken, or lost, I would buy a different amp. It is decent, but your money could be spent in better ways. I really wish Line 6 worked on the sound. They packed this amp with effects, but the sound quality is really poor. This amp gets a 7. Most of my reviews get 9's on average, and that is acceptable. This amp gets a 7 because it is full of features and is reliable, but is lacking in sound quality. // 7

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review