Spider II 210 Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 03/08/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Line 6: Spider II 210
Spider II is the only amp designed from the ground up to drown out the voices inside your head. It's packed with 12 insane amp models and 7 psychotic effects.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 Features: 9.7
 8.7
 9.3
reviews (15) 32 comments vote for this gear:
Spider II 210 Reviewed by: hiddeninromance, on april 01, 2006

Features: The moment you turn on this amp, you will be amazed. After the on switch is pressed you're greeted with a light display reminiscent of Disney world! This amp in my band has been given the nickname of "the amp spok would've used." It has 4 channels which you save your tones to, which is great because no matter how badly the nobs get dispositioned during transport, your perfect tone sounds the same. The amp unlike marshalls, doesn't run on simple treble, mid, and bass. On top of these you must first choose the designated amp models, ranging from clean (standard clean), to twang (similar to country sounding Fenders), to blues (self explanitory), crunch (for that Led Zepplin, classic rock vibe), metal, and insane (the hihgest gain). Each one of these models have two settings, for example, the metal has a Mesa Boogie feel on one mode, but on the other mode it has a unique "mid" switch which turns it into fuzz guitar. On top of these it also has the mandatory "reverb" and 6 digital effects, which are top quality. The effects are flange/chorus, phaser, tremelo, delay, sweep echo, tape echo. All very useable. It would be perfect, except I would've personally like to see a more jazz setting. // 9

Sound: I use a Fender Telecaster, and (more often) an Epiphone SG. The amp suits the SG better, but the tele handles it well, and if you want to have a single coil guitar but miss the fullness of humbuckers sometimes, the amp really boosts the Tele's sounds. Though in small spaces (only with the Telecaster) and high gain sometimes it hums, but I suppose thats what humbuckers were invented for. The Epiphone SG sounds a dream through it, I can dial up easily, creamy cleans, creepy cleans (remiscent of the reverb drenched cure, beautiful blues, and some insane rock tones). The amp holds its own, and even in band practice I've never turned it above 4/5. The distortion (due to thg eamount of models) ranges from ultra fuzz, to classic rock, to sub octave distortion, to high gain sounds in modern rock/metal/emo. The only thing I'd change once again is add a trebly twang jazz setting, as blues and twang can sometimnes be too bassy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The amp is built like a tank, and has been fine, I would gig without hestitation with it. It's only problems are a source of my neglect, first the kettle lead (power supply) slot at the back is occasionally loose (but cause no problems) and the guitar input has fallen off about 3 times in two years, becaus ei haven't ensured its tight, meaning I've had to take it apart and refit the mechanism. But seriously it is very sturdy and other than my neglect it's had no problems, I've had this amp two years and my friends marshalls and fenders have al broken down and needed seriuos repairs on several occasions in this time, despite theirs being newer than the Line 6. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this amp is great, I'm heavily inspired by my Chemical Romance, Afi, Cursive, The Cure, Metallica, Bowie, Bright Eyes, Blink, Senses Fail, Azure Ray etc. and this amp caters to all my needs. The only problem as mentioned is, if you want an nme flick wrist staccato bar chord tone thats quite trebly and jazzy, it can be quite an arduos process dialing in the perfect tone, as it can be slightly bassy on those less distorted models, i.e. blues. I get the impression on those models that it is all or nothing, in the case of distortion or bass there's no mid point, as such. But its nothing a graphic equaliser pedal cant solve, which is a must for all guitars in my opinion. The amp, I suppose, is a metal amp, and made for rock, insane is my favourite model, its taken me 6 months to get the perfect tone, so if at first your not sure give it a chance, with the amount of features on this amp, you'll eventually get what you want. // 9

Spider II 210 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 17, 2005

Features: I play mainly punk and metal and this amp is perfect. Mine is rarely switched off of the "metal" distortion. It has a very crisp sound. It has and "insane" distortion as well, but when you're doing chuggs or just palm muting, it doesnt sound very good. The clean sounds very nice though. The other effects are neat to play around with, but I couldnt picture a pro blues player using this amp. But like I said, its perfect for punk and metal and awesome to just mess around with. The echos and effects are pretty cool as well. Put it on metal distortion, tremolo, sweep echo and some reverb and then you can play some crazy (sounds kinda dumb) scary music. This amp rakes in 120 watts, fricken cranks. The different channels are awesome too, and same with the built in tuner. I cant really wish it had any more, it fits my needs perfectly, maybe a free foot switch to change channels? I'm giving it a 10 for all the fetures, but it doesnt fit the needs for all playing styles. // 10

Sound: I'm using an Ibanez RG 170 on it right now. As I mentioned before, it fits my playing style dead on. I play in a punk band, so we dont play huge venues. The amp drowns out the drums in a Knights Of Columbus Hall if its turned up past 7. When we play at bar venues, everything is miced, but this amp is loud. The distortion is perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very durable and reliable. It survived some crazy punk shows being played by every band, getting soaked in fake blood and knocked over a few times and it still works great. I've had it over a year and theres only some scratches on the bottom. It's never crapped out on me, but sometimes when it's turned up really loud, the vibration causes the knobs to move and sometimes gets some crazy echo in the middle of playing and then you smell burning plastic which probably isn't very good. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, I used to use a 7648398 year old 17 watt Marshall plugged into a 100 watt PA with 2 other microphones, playing with a Kramer from the 1850's, and that didnt work very well. This amp is awesome, I love it. I first played it at my friends dads house. I was amazed at all the shiney knobs and pretty lights. Anyways, that is why I decided to get this amp. So, A perfect 10 for a DIY punk or metal guitarist, just dont expect anything fabulous for anything else. // 10

Spider II 210 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2004

Purchased from: Steve's

Features: Extremely versatile, from clean tones to insane. I play mostly metal, rock and punk, it suits me very well. 12 chanels (Amp Models) but you can say 6 chanels with two levels, clean, twang, blues, crunch, metal and insane. Many effects, chorus flange, phaser, tremolo, delay, tape echo, sweep echo and reverb, all adjustable in degree and frequency. 120 solid state watts in two 10" 60watts speakers (enough to make you deaf with the push of a button) - intergrated tuner and soundgate. // 10

Sound: I use this amp with a Washburn G-5V wich gives gives me the possibility to play all the styles of music you can imagine with all the Precision you need. It is the less noisy amp I have heard in my life, it is still crisp clean at high gain/high volume, you hear what you play and when you stop nothing comes out of it. The distortion is its high point because at the metal setting it boosts a very fat distortion used for Metallica songs but the insane setting is just inhuman and would be awesome if it would not be of that hissing sound in the background that was added for no coherant reason so I just set it to the metal setting. // 8

Reliability & Durability: With all the lights and doodads this amp is not very reliable in terms long term durability but I would definatley use without a backup in it's first 10 years. No problems in 5 months of service. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a powerhouse for 500 dollars, plays everything you want, clear effects, monstrous distortion, super clear cleans, etremely heavy. Feels good when you get out of store with it in your arms but after two minutes of walking it's another story. // 10

Spider II 210 Reviewed by: Borderline, on may 03, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This is one of the most versatile amps for such a cheap price! It's range of amp emulations, from clean, blues, twang to crunch, metal and insane gives it a massive range. Coupled with the usual controls; drive, bass, mid and treble, virtually any sounds required can be dialled in. I play metal, rock, and more acoustic stuff and I find it fits whatever I need. It has 7 FX to play with on 3 dials (chorus/flange, phaser and tremelo) (delay, tape echo and sweep echo) and Reverb, therefore only 3 at once. I like to have the FX there if a song needs them, and like to mess around with them, but find that Sweep and Tape echo are pretty useless. It has 4 channels, scrollable with the supplied 2 button footswitch. These can store combinations you've created yourself - with FX if required. A headphone/direct out port is built in. The 2x10" speakers provide 120w of solid state power which is definitely enough for gigging. For practising with my band, I only have to have it up halfway to completely drown out the drummer. It has a distortion boost, a tuner and a noise-gate, and I use all of these! Plus, a tap-tempo for the delay FX. // 10

Sound: I'm using it through a Strat copy with single coils at the moment, but makes even this sound good enough for playing metal. It produces virtually no feedback even when I'm playing next to it, which is great! On the high-gain amp models, like metal or insane, it can be quite buzzy, but the built in noise gate sorts this out easily. The clean channels still glisten at high volumes, and I have no problems with them becoming muddy. The distortion can be as brutal as you want! I find that the epic distorton with the Insane model is maybe a little too distorted, but meh! It's only a cheap amp though, and sound quality isn't perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on this amp; I've had absolutely no problems with it so far. It's been knocked about, taken on buses from rehearsals and played at gigs, and is still working as it did when I got it. The leds might eventually break, but after many years I hope! I would use the amp at a gig with no back up, and have done. // 8

Overall Impression: For my music tastes, the solid-state power of this amp is perfect. I've been playing for a few years now, and this is the first upgrade from my original gear I've made, and am very pleased with it. If it were lost, I would definitely buy it again! I love the fact that I can totally design my channel sounds, the versatility of the sounds, the FX saving me buying a rack of pedals, the tuner and the noise! The only problem I have with it is I dislike how heavy the celestions are! A longer power cable would be very useful, but that's just picky. // 10

Spider II 210 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2005

Features: This amp has lots of great features that most people's reviews haven't payed attention to. One important feature is the tuner built in and since I've lost mine, that really helps. I also like the fact that they have so many different amp models to choose from. And once you pick one, you can still play around with effects like delay, control the gain, and have excellent control over the volume. Very nice. // 10

Sound: When I bought this amp, sound was crutial. I didn't really think that only a couple hundred could buy me a really good sounding amp, but appearantly it can. I play a lot of Guns N' Roses and the green metal sounding with the gain down a little less than half comes so close I can't tell the difference. It's hard to believe because I play it on 3 single coil pickups. Man so much variety too. You can make any kind of sound really except for wah, so as fun as pedals are, you don't really need one. Distortion kicks a-s, it has to for GNR. It doesn't buzz at all or feedback when you don't want it to, so it works for playing in a small area (if you're a panzy you gotta turn it way down). Sound is the best part of this amp. Again, very nice. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well if there is one thing I haven't done with this amp it's not taking the greatest care of it. I don't really throw it around or anything but if ran through the rain in it and just this weekend it fell out of my car and slammed pretty good. But it still sounds great. I wouldn't do it on purpose but it can take a beating. And I wouldn't recommend running through the rain with the speakers facing up, but who would? Still having no problems with it so I can't give it any less than a 5. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a perfect match like I said for my music, classic rock. You just gotta play around with it for a while. I have been playing for almost 3 years and I dont really like to brag but I'm pretty good. I also own a DigiTech RP200 artist multi-effect pedal but I don't like that as much as I like the amp. I really only need the wah. The wah sounds great if you turn the gain off on the pedal and chose my GN'R preference on the amp, just in case u ever wanna really rock out. I would definitely buy a new one. Hell it costs way less than anything else and it works great. I love everything about it. No complaints. My favorite feature has to be the distortion. Amazing. I compared it to a few Marshalls and Fenders and didn't know it was so inexpensive until I had decided on it. I definitely recommend it. Awesome man love this thing to death. // 10

Spider II 210 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 27, 2005

Features: The effects may sound a little cheap, but it packs a nice little distortion punch. I played a few gigs with this with my old band, the only problem was that I played the gig the day after I got the amp, so I wasn't really using it to it's full advantage. But even so, it was still a great amp for the price, and loud as hell too. The effect knobs make it a lot easier to choose, and the tap feature makes that aspect even more easy. // 10

Sound: I'm using an Epiphone SG Standard with double humbucker pickups. Amazing sound, when I was using my Fender Strat, it wasn't getting a very good feedback, with this SG, the feedback is amazing sounding. The clean channel when loud is really actually clean, there's not a lot of sound distortion with it. But when the distortion is on, there is plenty of distortion, and it's an amazing sound. There are actually somewhere around 5-6 distortion channels on this, ranging from a lot of trebble, for a solo sound, to a lot of bass, for the chords and such. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is probably one of the toughest amps I've ever seen, I've dropped mine quite a few times on concrete trying to carry it. It's still in pretty much perfect condition, minus a few scratches and knicks on the bottom side. The only problem with it is that this thing weighs a ton, plus it doesn't have inserts to put casters in, you'd have to drill your own hole in the bottom, like I did. Other than that it's a really strong amp. // 10

Overall Impression: I've had this amp about a year and a half. It rocks, I got the actual amp for 400, and then 4 channel pedal for 80 dollars extra. I compared this to a Crate GLX 212 Combo, and I have to say that the feedback on the Crate is better, but the the Line 6 has a lot more effects, and effect capabilities, and a lot easier interface to change the effects. I've been playing for about 3 years now, I have an Ibanez 15-watt practice amp, an MXR Doubleshot Distortion pedal, a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, a Fender acoustic, and a Fender Stratocaster. I play everything from alternative to "emo" to metalish to rock. This amp has a nice sound for all of them. // 10

Spider II 210 Reviewed by: puckhead, on june 27, 2005

Features: This amp is absolutely packed with features, more features than you will get in any other amp for the price I paid. It has 12 different amp models (6 main different ones, clean, twang, blues, crunch, metal, and insane, but 2 variations of each). The built-in tuner really comes in handy, and although it takes a bit of time to adjust to, once you I got the hang of it it made my other tuner obsolete. It also has a distortion boost and a noisegate as well as 8 different effects (chorus/flange, reverb, delay, phaser, tremolo, tape echo, and sweep echo), and you can use up to three at a time. I basically play every style of music, but I favour metal, and although the amp suits basically every style quite well, it really sticks out as a great amp for metal. I use this amp in my garage and at practises in auditoriums, and unless I was playing in a huge outdoor show, there will always be more than enough power for me. I have it at level 4 out of 10 and it vibrates the whole house. This sucker can pound. And if I ever did need more power, there is a headphones jack as well. // 10

Sound: Right now I am using a crappy Slammer by Hamer (150 dollar guitar), and the sound is still quite decent. I look at how nice the amp sounds with guitar, and I dream about how good the amp will sound with a gibson or Fender. I don't have vast experience playing electric guitar, but to me this amp sounds heavenly. I prefer metal songs, by bands such as AC/DC and Guns N' Roses, for example, and since there are so many different settings to adjust you can have a virtually unlimited number of sounds. There is no feedback unless you are on insane, then you have to use the noisegate and stand further from the amp, but then its ok. The clean sounds good, although it can be a little too bright, you can make adjustments to fix the problem. The distortion is absolutely beautiful. It covers all ends of the spectrum. It can be light and mild, and then incredibly insane as well with the press of a button. It would be nice if there was a little more variety of clean sound, but how much can I ask without a pedal? For what it's worth this amp has grade A sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp has been great so far, as far as durability is conserned. I cannot ever see me blowing one of the 10 inch speakers. The amp weighs a ton, so I can't see it getting beat up too bad. I do wonder how long the led lights will last, and I question how long the amp's wiring will hold up, being so inexpensive and all, my friend has a line6 that is over 10 years old and his amp still plays fine, so I trust mine will last a long time as well. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is was exactly what I need. If anyone is looking for a versatile, loud, and inexpensive amplifier made by a good company, I totally recommend this amp. It is a bit heavym, but other than that I have no complaints. I bought the amp footswitch ($100 CAN) which gives me complete access to any four channels, and that has helped a lot too, although no one likes to pay an extra 100 bone for a pedal. If it were stolen or lost, I would probably get this amp again, although I would, in all honesty, eventualyl look to upgrading to a Marshall, but that is loooooooong in the future. I personally love the delay, it is probably the best feature. I really cannot complain about this amplifier, because, as I said, it fits a wide variety of sounds and style, and I have a junk for a guitar, so the potential of this amp is bottemless. // 10

Spider II 210 Reviewed by: Bmm386, on july 02, 2005

Features: This amp has incredible features for the price its costs. It is a solid state modeling amp that is incredibly realistic. It actally has set distortion for diffrent genres of music. The distortion is good, but if you want to have any custom distortion you would have to use a distortion pedal. It has memory, so you can store up to 4 distortion/effects presets in it, and if you buy the pedal that it uses, you can just go back and forth between them onstage. It has a decent reverb option. One of the best features on it is a device it has that eliminates almost all feedback when your not playing. When you are playing it's as noisy as you want, when your not its whisper quiet. I wish that in addition to the preset distortion it had a gain knob, but it doesn't. Some of the effects I never use, but I can see how sombody would use them. Its got enough power for everything you need, barely. I would use it as a practice amp and use a more powerful amp for shows. // 10

Sound: I'm using this amp through a Epiphone Les Paul Junior, and it sounds great. I have heard that with strats it doesnt sound as good, not sure why though. Playing rock music it what it was meant for, although it can play other genres. The distortion can go from incredily death metal-ish to a light blues twang. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had no issues with durability with this amp. It's made to last and it does. // 8

Overall Impression: The amp is a great amp, I reccomend buying it, even if its waiting and saving up that extra cash, cause its great. // 10

Spider II 210 Reviewed by: tubab0y, on april 20, 2006

Purchased from: Friend

Features: Not sure what year the amp is, but it's probably after 2003. It's great for the music I play; I play everything from Satriani to Green Day to Hendrix, as well as some jazz. It sounds great for all of them. I use this amp in my basement; my first gig is in a few weeks. It has way more power than I need. It has lots of effects; chorus flanger, phaser, tremelo, delay, tape delay, sweep delay, and reverb. It also has a distortion booster. The 120W stereo is more than enough for me. As well, it has a headphone jack/jack for the Line 6 pedals. I only wish it had 2 imput jacks instead of one. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with a Jackson DK2 Dinky, mostly the humbucker. I already said it suits my music style; it also has presets for songs like Smells Like Teen Spirit, which can be helpful. It has 12 different sounds, everything from extremely clean to twangy country to insane (what it's actually called) distortion. The clean channel is still plenty clean at high volumes. The distortion can be brutal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on it. I don't think I'd need a backup for gigging. It's built plenty well, you'd have to use a sledgehammer to dent it. It's never broken down on me. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp was a great bargain. If for some reason it disappeared, chances are I wouldn't get another one because my parents wouldn't pay for it (not saying it's expensive, I just got a really good deal on this.) I love everything about it; one problem is that the insane channel gives killer feedback, but that's normal. I didn't really shop around, I wasn't expecting to get a new amp. If you're looking for a powerful amp with some cool effects, this is the one for you. // 10

Spider II 210 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 06, 2006

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: Great amp for the price, I'll start by saying, it's amazingly loud for it's size. The two 60 watt speakers have enough power to kil small rodents. The built in effects are great, so it saves you money on pedals, there are artist presets available on the net, none of which are that good to be honest, but after a bit of messing around you can get some amazingly crushing distortions and some really warm clean tones. The phasers and flangers are great because of the two speakers. It came with an FBV2 footswitch, which the bloke in the shop said I had to buy separately for 60 or something. Good little, simple footswitch. There are 4 built in channels with presets which you can overwrite and store your own stuff in there. There's some 'hidden features' such as a built-in noise gate and a distortion boost that give a little extra dirt to the sound. there's also a headphone jack. // 9

Sound: With distortions I set it on the bridge humbucker, with cleans I like to use a middle single coil or bridge and middle config. The distortions can be anywhere from Clapton-esque blues tones to Bring Me the Horizon style ass kicking distortion. I'm sure it could suit any stlye you could think of, the effect are so versatile it's unbelievable. Some people may 'ooh, it's Line 6, it'll sound processed' they can shut up, it doesn't, effects are great full stop. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've not had much use with it at high volumes, but when I tried it out in the shop, when up halfway, it was really, really loud. I have yet to play at a gig, my band's kinda working on getting some in the new year hehe. I've had it for a few months, never a problem. But can't really say much, I'll rate it on it's durability thus far. // 9

Overall Impression: Good for the style of music I play, my band do a kind of metal/hardcore emo thing mainly involving heavy songs with emo clean songs lol and it's really cool for that stuff. I've been playing for about 2 years, I have a Peavey Raptor EXP and a Zoom 606, hoping to gat a Jackson soon. If this broke, or was stolen, I'd get another, or maybe the Spider III lol. I love the effects and the volume, purely astounding. I don't hate anything about this amp, even the looks are nice! My fave feature is the distortion boost. Just when you think 'shit, I need something heavier' stick that on and you're well away. I went into the shop expecting to come away with a Roland Cube 60, I didn't try it out, but the lack of channels put me off. This was slightly more expensive, but for the extre 10-20 it was, there was so much more, you got an extra speaker and 3 more channels. Overall I love this beauty. If it were a woman I would make sweet love to i. // 10

Spider II 210 Reviewed by: stevevai87, on december 11, 2006

Features: I play hard rock and '80s metal so this amp was perfect for me. He has 12 amp models that sound great. it has delay, chorus/flanger, phaser, tremolo, and reverb and a bunch of great stuff in it. It has a headphone jack but I would only use it at night when everyone's asleep. But when everyone's out of your house, take it out and rock as loud as you want. I use this amp at home and when I go to 2 bands that ask me to play for them. This amp shocks everyone when you bring it to their house, they think it's really big and that you can get a lot of power out of it, and it's true. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Kramer guitar, that has two quadrail humbuckers. I like to use harmonics to get a great sound out of my style. I don't do drop D tunning, ever! This amp is great for any music style, blues, death metal, reg. metal, prog., hard rock, rock n' roll, anything. It's is great to play with this amp with the delay because it's adjusted with Tap tempo. This amp has 4 programmable channels. The clean channel is just excellent when it's put at a high volume for everyone to hear. With 2x10" speakers, this amp is the greatest value on any website or store. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very durable and reliable. there hasn't been one time I haven't jacked into it and played. I can lug this thing around in the back of my car and take it to jam sessions. This amp is great for the price and lasts and lasts forever. There hasn't been any scratches on my amp for the month I've had it. People don't like to touch it because they look at it and think it's expensive, but it's really not. This amp makes an impression with how it looks. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for a long time now and my friends are impressed that I know so much on the styles of playing of other guitar players. I hope that everyone realizes that this is the best amp out on the market for your money. it may not say Marshall on the front, but hey it can sure as hell sound like one. I love the delay on this amp, and it's better than most delays on other amps. // 10

Spider II 210 Reviewed by: Xx__benji__xX, on june 30, 2008

Purchased from: Back Alley

Features: The Line 6 Spider II 210 is an amp I'm glad I bought, and suited my budget very nicely. I'm not entirely sure when the amp was made, but I bought mine in March of 2006. The Spider II suits perfectly for the style of music I play on a regular basis, which is metal/hardcore/scremo etc. The amp has built in effects, and you can save your effects to 4 different channels, labelled A to D. Their are a total of 12 affects, only six categories, each one with a red and green light, indicating the change. It's quick and easy to change the settings. I use a FBV express pedal which has four seperate buttons for switching to and from affects, plus one foot pedal for the volume, and can be changed to the Wah Wah effect. I wish the amp included more Effects, and went into a bit more detail when adding effects, as the amp is a bit of an all or nothing amp. I use the amp during practises in my garage, and I never have to play over half the volume. I also use it in small gigs, and again, never have to turn it above half. So for people looking to use this amp for those type of things, it's perfect! Be warned, this amp is stupidly heavy! // 9

Sound: I use a Ibanez RGT42DX and a Yamaha (unsure of model) through this amp, as well as occassionally, a Westfield Les Paul. All guitars have stock pickups. Using the Ibanez through it, it can cause a funny crackling sound, that only appears now and again, and it affected by how close to the electricity you are and if you touch the actual pickup. Touching the pick stops the noise. You can only hear this noise through the disortion channal, but the other guitars don't create this noise (this maybe something to do with the pickups, but I've played it through other amps and not had the noise appear). This amp has enough sounds for what I personally need, but it definitely wouldn't suit some other people. I find that when you put on chorus or phaser, you can't get a little bit, it's either a lot, or none at all which is a bit of a let down. The disortion on this amp is first class for the money. I honestly believe it would be difficult to buy an amp and effects pedels for cheaper, and get a better sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Put it this way, I could throw mine down the stairs, and it would still work perfect I'm sure. It's never let me down, and I would never consider using a back-up for this amp. These seem to be a reliable amp, that don't suffer with breaking down or anything of that nature. // 10

Overall Impression: For metal, this amp is absolutly class for the money. I've been playing for 3 and a half years now, and I know a lot of people Who've paided much more on guitars, amps, pedals etc, and not had anywhere near the sound quality. If it were stolen, I think I'd look around to what else there is, and possibly buy something else, just for a change to be honest, but I'd highly recommend this amp to a beginner/intermediate looking to play metal of all types. My only faults with the amp are: adding chorus phaser etc, is all or nothing. It wouldn't suit some people's style of playing. It's stupidly heavy! // 8

Spider II 210 Reviewed by: house212, on july 08, 2008

Features: This amp is very versatile, I play '80s and '90s metal. The crunch model w/the green light sounds awesome for '80s style play. The metal model w/the green light sounds awesome for Metallica. It has 4 different channels to store your settings, but I don't really use them too much. It has 7 different effects which are good. I rarely use the delay/echo too much, only when I am not practicing. I only use it for practicing in my room. One of the best things about this amp is the celestion speakers. // 9

Sound: I use a black RR3 w/Seymour Duncans and this amp really screams. This amp suits my style of metal well. The amp gets a little fuzzy on insane but that's what it is supposed to do. I don't know too much about the clean setting because I don't use it. The distortion ranges form high to low as you change the models, insane has the most distortion. Clean the least. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The amp is reliable. If I used it at a gig I would not use a backup. My amp has never broken down, so it is pretty durable. I would never let this amp break down because of neglect. If it broke down I would probably get it fixed and sell it. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play metal and it is a great amp for my style. I have been playing for a bit over a year now. When I first started playing I had a Peavey Rage 158 transtube amp. If it were stolen/ lost I would definately buy something else. One thing I love about this amp is the metal setting. The one thing I hate about it is, it is too small. My favorite feature about it is, it's amp models. // 7

Spider II 210 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 29, 2009

Features: The first thing you will notice when you turn this amp on is that it has a built in fricken light show. That can get some attention to you even before you play a note. I play heavy metal and classic rock, and I don't get to much into other styles, except pure clean every once in a while. However if I wanted to expand my variety, the amp would not present many limitations. It has 12 amp models to choose from (6 specific models with two slightly different models on each) though I'd only count 11 cause the second mode on "Insane" sound like total crap. I can't speak for most of the amp models, but the clean and Insane modes are both very good. There are 4 programmable channels, and as far as I can tell you can set levels and effects for every amp model on each of the 4 channels (I got mine used, so I don't have a manual for it, but it hasn't been too hard to figure out.) These channels are very convenient when you move the amp and the knobs get rolled around, because when you turn it back on your same sound is right there. The amp has two effect knobs, one with phaser, flange/chorus, or tremelo and one with delay, sweep echo, or tape echo, set with tap tempo (The two echos don't seem very usable to me, but you may not think the same). I don't use any of these because I have my own multi-effects pedal, which gives me more control over the effects. The amp also has a reverb knob, which sounds good, and I usually have on a low amount of reverb. I believe you can buy a pedal for channel switching on the amp, though its from another company, and I have not gotten one since they run almost $100. It would be much more convenient to have one though, so I could change from clean to heavy distortion. It does not have an effect loop, though I haven't had any trouble running my pedals in front of the amp. It does have a head-phone jack, though the sight of someone using this amp with headphones would be rather ridiculous, I mean its huge. Speaking of huge, this amp is plenty for gigging, and if you need any more sound you'll need to mic your amp anyways. My friend has a 120W half stack, but this blows it out of the water, despite the fact that its only half as tall. I rarely go up above 4 or 5, though I might push to 6 or 7 at a larger gig. The only thing I'd want out of this amp is a cheaper channel switching pedal that came with it. // 10

Sound: I have a Fender starcaster (piece of shit, I know) with some pretty bad pickups. Despite the fact that the guitar sucks, it still sounds good. The only problem I've had is that the guitar gets a heck of a lot of feed-back, and the amp doesn't do much to help being as loud as it is. I use a DigiTech RP200, and some people have complained that this amp doesn't work well with effects, but they are dumb. I had been using my DigiTech pedal and a Metal Muff distortion pedal with the amp on the clean pedal, and that did not sound very good. I gave up on using a distortion pedal, and the sound is much better with the multi-effects pedal and the Insane channel. The amp does have the typical hum with the distortion on, but oddly enough, if you turn the gain all the way up the hum goes away. I have no idea why that is. I'm having some trouble with feed-back when I first turn up the guitar volume, but I can probably fix it, and its most likely do to the guitar, not the amp. The amp can get down to civil levels for just playing by yourself around the house, and also way up into the gigging levels. It definitely shows its full 120W of power when you crank it. If you have a distortion pedal that needs a little more kick, you can turn up the gain on the clean channel, which will help, but also brings down the amp volume. The insane distortion lives up to its name, and gives a very driven, modern metal sound. The only problem I've had is that the amp can be a little bit trebly, but if you leave the bass maxed and bring mid and treble down to about 5 it sounds good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I got the amp used, but it doesn't have a single scratch on it. I haven't put it through to much abuse, I don't have money to experiment with what it'll take, but if I did I bet it would take a lot. The most I've done is stand on it and jump some, but thats nothing for this amp. The amp is very sturdily built, and I plan on gigging with it frequently. // 10

Overall Impression: If you can find this amp, its going to be a great deal because it was discontinued. Line 6 discontinued the amp because the Spider 3 is essentially the same amp with an LCD screen and a lot more programmable channels. So if your not going to use all those channels, get this amp. Its less channels to deal with and it'll be several hundred dollars cheaper. Its great for playing Heavy Metal. I've been playing for about five years, and just had a little 10W Fender for 2, and that couldn't play over anything really. This amp is a massive improvement, since I can drown anyone out if I want to. I probably shouldn't have bothered getting the warranty on it, cause this thing is never gonna break down. If someone stole this amp I would hunt them down and kill them, then get the amp back. I fricken love it. If I could find another one I would buy it again, cause I don't have enough money to upgrade. I love the size, and I love the volume, though it really needs a channel pedal, and as I said it can be a little trebly sometimes. When I was looking for an amp I was also considering a Raven 60W, but at a cheaper price and twice the watts it was a no contest. If you need an amp to play with a drummer, you only have like $200, and you can find this amp, get it. I have No Doubt its the greatest deal on the market. // 10

Spider II 210 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 08, 2010

Price paid: A$ 900

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music, (as new)

Features: First of all, I know this amp is old now and Line 6 are on their 4th spider, but I have noticed alot going up on ebay (might be selling myself) and you can get one for a great price. Now, as for features, it has heaps of them! First of all theres the 12 amp models you can get from lounge style jazz to filthy heavy metal, combine these with the effects and you have alot of tones on offer to save into the 4 programmable channels. But where this amp really stands out, even today, is the 'hidden' features. It has an inbuilt tuner, an extra gain setting (great for the crunch models which personally I think needed more dirt), and a noise gate which is fanastic on metal and insane hiss. These have all come in handy during gigs, practises and in the studio (particually the noise gate). It also has a direct out and headphone input, and as an australian spec, came with the foot controller for free. // 9

Sound: 90% of the time, iv'e been playing a MIM tele through it, but have also played a copy les paul, and an Ibanez prestige (made the insane sound great). Overall the sounds you can get are very diverse but I have read alot of reviews here about it sounding crappy. To an extent, I agree. But it is SOLID-STATE. So, if you have been playing a Fender tube amp for a few years the clean sounds will sound a bit raspy and weak. But that is the nature of solid-state and this goes for the distortion aswell. The amp sounds best below 4! If you need more volume a 212 or head and cab would be alot better. Iv'e also noticed you need to change the settings alot depending on the volume as the whole EQ seems to change a little on different volume levels (a bit annoying). // 7

Reliability & Durability: Iv'e had the amp since it came out a few years ago and have never had a problem with it. I chuck it in the car to and from practise, thrash the crap out of it with feedback and effects whoring when I'm bored, and have used it at small indoor and outdoor gigs, as well as leaving it on for hours in hot practise rooms. It is Invinsible! (Have also played my ipod through it lol) // 10

Overall Impression: Overall it is a fantastic amp for new-intermidate players, perfect for small gigs and band practises, and great to experiment with effects and find 'your' own tone. They are also very cheap new and second hand. The only downside i can gather is the sound quality isn't the best when loud, and the EQ and Drive react completely differently depending on the amp mode. This means you have to remeber that the treble has to been on 0-2 on the crunch green mode to prevent your ear shattering, and the mids knob from 0-10 hardly changes the tone a few of the clean models. But overall I highly recomend it and I do believe it will make you a better player if you experiment with it. I am only considering selling it because I'm after more of a professional quality tube amp for gigs. Hope this has been helpfull, feedback would be good :) // 8

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review