Spider II 212 Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 07/02/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Line 6: Spider II 212
150 watt. Solid state. Controls include drive, bass, mid, treble and channel volume. 7 effects: chorus/flanger, phaser, tremolo, delay, tape echo, sweep echo and reverb. Built in Noise-Gate, Distortion Boost and Tuner.
 Features: 8.6
 8.4
 7.5
reviews (21) 24 comments vote for this gear:
Spider II 212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 24, 2005

Features: I'm using a Fender Stratocaster, standard 3 single coils. It has 6 amp models including: clean, twang, blues, crunch, metal, insane. Technically there are 12 models because there are 2 models, lit up either with a green or red led light. There are then 7 more effects you can add to the amp models including: chorus flange, phaser, tremelo, delay, tape echo, sweep echo and reverb. It also has a front pedal input and headphone jack. Other features include back individual direct output jacks from only one speaker. Each speaker has its own jack. This amp carries 2x12 inch Celestion speakers. Tap control. Built in tuner. 4 programmable channels. // 10

Sound: I play metal and rock and everything inbetween so this amp is perfect. Well, I guess it would suit pretty much any style with all the different effects. You can do effortless perfect harmonix of any kind as well. The distortion is very chunky and can just f--kin kick your ass. The only thing is the effects are a little cheap sounding, its just not exactly the same as having a stompbox or pedal. Still great sounding. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very durable, if it fell over backwards I probably wouldn't even care. The only thing you have to watch out for is the front obviously like with all amps. I would absolutely gig with this amp and wouldn't sweat it w/o a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal/heavy metal, and any time of rock and this amp is ideal for all of it. I think Line 6 hit it on a dime with the Spider II. The only things that I don't absolutely love about this amp is the tuner and the weight, which arent at all a big concern. The tuner is just a bit confusing and a bit difficult to get the hang of, and you cant expect a dual speaker amp w/12 inch speakers to be 2 pounds. Also I only wish it came with a channel selector. Line 6 sells them but are a tad bit expensive. This amp is just dirt cheap for what you get out of it. // 10

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: praise2hendrix, on may 03, 2004

Purchased from: Herried Music

Features: This amp was made in 04. This being the 3rd amp i have owned it is extremely versitile. I mainly play classic rock and blues which it has proved more then adequate for, but its extremly versatile and i'm sure that it could be used for all types of music. It has four channels, all of which are very easy to switch between, each channel is capable of holding multiple settings of your favorite combinations of effects. There is an effect pedal loop made for the Line 6 foot board, and there is also a headphone jack. This amp has loads of power for its size. 2 12" celestion speakers that kick out 150 watts of power is quite a kick. So far ive used this amp at jam sessions and a couple of gigs and its proved itself more then worthy. It easily goes over a drum set and is great for small gigs is great. This amp is not a tube amp but it is capable of recreating that glowing sound u get from a tube amp for about half the price. // 10

Sound: I play with a Fender srat with an SSH configuration. I do a lot of soloing and it does great. If i need a clean sound i get a clean sound if i need some crunch it crunches. I use the low end humbucker a lot and the 2 go great together. It suits my style great the only thing i wish was different about it was that they left the classic setting on it like the original spider instead of replacing it with a metal setting. But thats just preference. If your a metal head though, then thats a plus for you. The range of sounds this amp makes is pretty cool you can get anything from clean, blues, twang, crunch, metal and insane, just to list the main ones. The difference between crunch, metal, and insane is the amount of distortion, though you can adjust distortion with the knob for any setting. ITs also capable of 3 differenct effects at once which allows even more tones and sounds. Ive cranked this thing up pretty much as high as it goes and the clean has not broken up. The distortion on this amp is definately one of the main high points. It has such a range from barely any to brutaly hardcore. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I havn't had this amp for very long but as far as i can tell this thing is built to last. At the moment i woudl definatly use this at a gig without a backup and have done so. And this amp has yet to break down on me but it is pretty new. Only time will tell how really durable it is. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp is a pretty darn good match for me with me playing classic rock and blues. I saved up quite awhile for it and am overall very pleased with it. I have been playing for about 7 years now. I would definatly buy this amp again if it were stolen or lost. This amp is extremely versatile and i have nothing but good things to say about it. // 10

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: smb, on april 01, 2006

Features: This amp has a whole load of presets, including the stupidly named Insane setting. You can see who it's trying to appeal to, young nu-metallers who are after their first "proper" amp. It's all digital and has big red LEDs in case you can't hear what settings you're playing through. There's a number of effects, including flanger and echo. It's plenty loud enough for practice and would even do for a small gig. // 7

Sound: I've played a bunch of different guitars through this but whatever you use (humbucker or single coil, neck or bridge, whatever style) it will end up sounding the same, digital, noisy and bland. The clean settings sound sterile and dull, without any warmth. The distortion is nothing special tonally, and certainly not as good as a 20 stompbox through a better amp. Since it's all digital, the volume control has an irritating habit of stepping up from very quiet to too loud rather than being sensibly graduated. Using a neck humbucker, turning down the tone on the guitar and boosting the bass on the amp it was far too quiet at low frequencies to be useful for the kind of blues picking I was after. Whatever way you go you'll have loads of midrange whether or not that's what you want. The effects can't be mixed with a dry signal, so there's no opportunity to balance them to get your own sound. The echos and delays were a particular disappointment. You can't fine tune the timings very well, or adjust the frequency range so you won't get anything like a tape echo or get the spacy psychadelic sounds you might expect. I thought the flanger would have been useful but it's much too strong an effect so using it for any length of time sounds ridiculous. After all this I didn't expect the chorus or phaser to be any good, and so there was no surprise there. Mind you, there are people this would suit. If you don't want to fine tune your own tone and Munky is your guitar idol, give this a try. // 1

Reliability & Durability: I would never, ever use this live or in a studio, simply because it sounds just so bad. I know it's not just this example, because there's two of them here and they both sound appalling. It works (in a manner of speaking) so at least that's something. // 5

Overall Impression: I think you've gauged my feelings for this amp already. I don't think there's anything more to say. // 1

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: BNL_FAN, on june 16, 2004

Features: I have only had this amp a few days and I am already in love with it! It is loud enough to break the glass in my house and is perfect for when I am jamming with my friends and simply playing along with my CD's. It is pretty heavy, but that's a good thing right?! It came with a foot pedal for switching between the four different channels, & I just love the look of it - Compact, yet big & dominant. The effects on it are a brilliant bonus, but I find that I don't use the 'Insane' effect that much. I play blues, soul, and alternative rock and pop, so It has pretty much all the effects that I need. I have to add that the built in Guitar Tuner is terrific! // 10

Sound: I am using the Line 6 with a Fender Stratocaster and a Hondo 935 Deluxe (based on a Gibson SG). Both guitars sound absolutely beautiful through the amp & I just find myself coming up with some terrific little tunes, especially with the 'Delay' and 'Chorus' effects on. It's loud, I get very little hissing and buzzing from it, and I can produce virtually any sound that i wish by mixing and matching all the effects. As they say, Quality speaks for itself! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I havn't gigged with it yet but certainly wouldn't hesitate taking it on stage. Besides, If i needed a certain sound or effect in a song then I can just program it into the amp & away I go! Here at my home it is steady and constant in what it produces. I shall rate the reliability as 'good', as I am yet to try it out at a show. // 8

Overall Impression: I am 16 and have been playing for 8 years. I have my own website but it doesn't always work because the company i host with are rubbish. You can try it though at www.henrywillard.com. The amp suites my style pretty well, but I am still experimenting with the sounds and effects. If the amp were stolen then I would hunt down the theaf & hit them over and over until they gave it back. But if that failed, then I would just save up till I got enough money to replace it. I don't know if I could ask for much more from the Line 6 Spider II 212. It has hundreds of sounds, a built in guitar tuner, and a pedal included. I suppose if I was to be really picky then I suppose I wouldn't mind a built in CD/Minidisk player or something cool like that, but thinking about it that would just be pointless - So no, I don't think Line 6 could do much more to improve the little beauty! // 10

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: Azdogga, on march 20, 2006

Features: This is an amazing little amp. I have the most-updated version, a 2005 model. You have 4 places to store your own sound inventions and you can make more with the right shortboard. There are a few different effects you can put on it but the only one I use is the tremolo. It can be used on stage or in practice. The tuner in it is also ideal for a beginner. Some more useful effects such as compression boost for solos would be nice though. // 7

Sound: I use some sort of monterey electric with humbuckers. I play a lot of heavy music, which it is suited for. But if you're playing a clean song with a solo that demands some serious compression you can end up having a few non-existent notes. It's loud enough to drown out my brother's trumpet as well as use in front of an audience. It has clean all the way to mega-distort but at full volume you don't lose any clarity. The distortion is insane, but again you can struggle with solos. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had it for about 6 months and haven't seen it breakdown yet. None of the seemingly-fragile components have broken yet, despite my ignorance to clean it properly. I have backup speakers, but am yet to use them. // 10

Overall Impression: A brilliant amp, with all the effects a novice or even pro needs. I've been playing for 4 years now and I can't complain. I have a friend who has a $1000 footpedal and $700 speaker and guess what? He found nearly all the settings were on this amp. I love the distorion after using an RP80 (DigiTech) for over a year. The compression can be a problem but it doesn't worry me that much. If it were to break I would get a bigger version of it for a little more power to really get some volume! // 8

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: rinio, on june 23, 2006

Purchased from: Italmelodie

Features: This amp is not very versatile. It's kind of like a cheap decent sounding, solid-state Mesa Boogie, in the fact that its got pretty good drives, but the cleans are not much to speak of. It has 4 channels which is nice. You can save your settings into the amp which is very convenient, but can be a pain when your looking for the perfect tone. It makes it a little harder and more complicated to set it up really nice sounding. I'm a little upset that the footswitch (the FBV4 (which is 4 buttons (1 for each channel) and does tap tempo aswell)) was a extra $100 CND. No FX loop is also a bit of a pain, but for ska/punk its not a very big deal. There is a headphone jack, but I never use it. Honestly I wish this amp had tap tempo on the tremolo, but its not a big deal, I rarely use the onboard FX. I use this amp for practice and for gigs. Really has more than enough power; for practice (with acoustic drums) I have never had to surpass the halfway mark (but I do keep my channel volumes on the high side). Gigging live there's always a house PA micing me so that's no big deal either, but even if there weren't it would still have enough power. One thing that is really useful is the onboard noise gate which makes it virtually "hiss-less". One feature I hate is the "red insane" model. It is absolutely disgusting, I dont see how anyone could ever use it. It makes your guitar sounds like a car that wont start. // 8

Sound: I am using a PRS santana SE. Dual humbuckers, very similar to an Epiphone les paul. This amp is very good for ska/punk, but only because I play rythm. The clean on this amp is not great, so for ska it is not ideal, but I bought it when I was playing more heavy metal for which it is a very good amp. Once again there is no hiss, because of the noise gate. The amp makes rly good distortions for the price, but the cleans and the overdrives are a little bit lacking. The variety is not that great either, most of the models have scooped mids, and unless you're playing heavy metal, you need to work with them a bit to get a good sound. I have never experienced the clean distorting at high volumes without having that gain above 0 (all the cleans still have a mild gain control), but then again I never really have to run master volume past 75%. The distortion can be pretty brutal. Good enough to do shred, probably really hardcore death metal too, but I'm not into anything too hardcore so I'm not sure. Basically the "good" sounding distortions go from raw 80's thrash punk to high defined modern metal stuff. Overall pretty good distortions. Overall Good distortion, ok cleans. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I depend on this amp all the time. I have never played with a backup, because I cant afford one, but I'm pretty confident it wont break down. the only problem I've ever had with it was a dusty master volume nob, so it didnt go up smoothly, other than that it has worked flawlessly since the day I brought it home. // 10

Overall Impression: I play ska/punk/metal/reggae. It is good for the punk/metal (in fact exceptional for the price), but just decent for the ska/reggae. If this amp had good cleans it would be grear. I have been playing for 4 years, and am currently running a PRS Santana SE (2 humbuckers)into this amp. If this were lost or stolen, I would probably get something else, because I have a little more cash flow nowadays, but if my price range were still the same I would have to reconsider between this amp, and the bandit 112 and a good distortion pedal (this is mostly because of my musical progression which is leading me, more and more, towards dub/ska/reggae/etc). I would also consider maybe getting the 112 or the 210 version, because I dont use all of thepower on the 212. I dont really love anything on this amp anymore, it's sufficient, but not ideal. I hate the "red insane channel". My favorite feature is the saving of presets (its useful for gigging, because you dont lose your tone). I wish it had tap tempo on the tremolo and better cleans. The final word:"If you play metal; this is a good if not great (because of the price) amp. Anything else, and I think you might want to reconsider." // 7

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2004

Purchased from: n/a

Features: Just got this amp about 3 weeks ago and it rocks, it will play anything you've ever dreamed of playing. The amp had 4 channels which are switchable with the included foot pedal which is extremely useful, there are 12 amp model presets from clean to insane which work wonders and there are 7 (very very high quality) effects to mess around with aswell. It's got every feature you will need, but none you wont ever use, it has a built in tuner, noise gate and drive boost along with the effects. I use this amp to practise alone, with my band and at gigs, its 150watts of power kick out enough for most gigs. // 10

Sound: I play with a Jackson Ps-4 using a HSH pickup config and it suits my style perfect, it plays metal, rock and solos with pefection, whilst still being distroted it can still sweep thorugh a huge tonal specturm. And theres more noise and than you can shake a stick at, it makes every needed sound possible. even in high distrotion the sound quality is still amazing and the distortion really is unreal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far I've never had to use it at a gig as professional PA has alays been used, although I can say that this is always better than what I use at gigs (so next time im taking this baby down to rock the show). I can comfortably say that you would not need a backup amp whilst gigging with this amp, unless your go totally mad and try to break it, I dont think it will ever break. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alot of metal, rock, punk and lead solo's and each style can be matched perfectly with this amp even if I was going to platy classical or country i know it would beat most other amps. I've been playing about 2 years and own a Jackson PS-4 guitar (not modded) this amp, (Line6 Spider 2: 212) and did use multiple FX peddles (distortion, chorus etc. Though I dont need them anymore thanks to this amp!) If this amp was stolen, I would personall hunt down the person who stole it and slap them untill they gave it back. Yes it would be worth it! My favourite feature on the amp is the 12 amp models 'cos they really do give you the versitillity to play anything you want. I don't think any amp can beat this one for the money. // 10

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: Ash_Lawrence, on september 28, 2004

Purchased from: GAK (www.gak.co.uk)

Features: 212 amp models that deliver a complete range from clean to insane. 7 smart control effects (up to 3 simultaneous) including tape echo, standard delay, sweep echo (all w/tap tempo), chorus/flanger, phaser, tremolo and reverb. 4 user-programmable channels, built-in front panel tuner, enough power to kill pesky chupacabras and evil payasos." I wish this amp actually kicked out a nice tone rather than just a high wattage. More than enough power for anyone (150watts Solid State = Loud) but like I said sucky tone who wants to hear a lame tone at high volumes? 2 Speaker outs L + R (make that bad tone even louder?) // 6

Sound: I own an Epiphone SG Custom and SG Jr, but I've tried tonnes of different guitars with this amp (ranging from Fender Strats to Gibson Les Pauls). I play rock, alternative, some metal, everything really and this amp suits nothing but metal. That may sound extreme but it's impossible to get a nice tone out of this amp without spending 100's of pounds on effects pedals. The distortion on thsi amp quite litterally can be insane. If your a metal head this amp is for you I guess but don't expect to playing Californication. Tears In Heaven anything that isn't death metal on this amp (I guess I'm exaggerating a bit but I'm not lying.) Clean channel sounds digital and fake. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Pretty dependable I guess shame it's a poor amp. // 10

Overall Impression: I guess overall this amp just isn't for me. Anyone considering buying it I'd advice you to save up and buy a hybrid or Tube amp, well worth thsoe extra "bucks". Don't be drawn to this amps high wattage. There's more to it than just how loud you are. I compared this amp to a Marshall MG100DFX, Behringer GMX 212, Peavy Transformer 212 and a few others, and sadly I chose the Spider. Don't just try this amp out for like an hour. Keep going back for like a week and waste shop assistants time trying this amp out. You'll learn it's not bad at first but probably not for you. If this amp were lost no wait I wouldn't be able to lose thsi peice of crap if I tried. If this amp were stolen, I'd thank the thief for clearing some space out in my bedroom I'm serious here, my crappy practice amp is more tonefull than this poor quality, high wattage amp. But in conclusion, if you like Slipknot, dig Killswtich Engage and enjoy the noise made by Disturbed, go for it. And another note, you'll need to splash out 80 quid on a 4 button footswitch as only a crappy 2 button one is supplied, getting from first channel to 3rd in the middle of a gig? Good luck and the Shortboard from Line 6,200 Quid? I think not. // 6

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: LEOLACEY, on october 25, 2004

Features: This amp only came out in October 2003, and is one of the Latest Line 6 amps, and I think they have been working on this model for years to get the best sounds. This amp is perfect for loads of differnt styles of music. I mostly play metal, and there are many different distortion tones to choose from. There are four channels on this amp, unless you buy the FBV Shortboard wich has 36 channels, but the amp comes with the FBV2 that allows you to switch between the channels. Their is a headphone/direct record output, but this doesn't cut off the speaker. This amp includes 4 effects - chorus, flange, phaser, and tremelo. It also includes delay, tape echo, and sweeping echo. You can put any one effect with any one delay/echo, and you can even but reverb over that, and choose the level of reverb. This amp also has wah built in, but you have to buy the FBV shortboard to access it. This amp should have vibrato, as it a pretty important effect, and it could do with different kinds of reverb e. g garage, room, hall etc. I use this amp in my bedroom, in my band practise shed, and at gigs, and it is perfect for every situation - the powere is amazing. It is quite a heavy amp, but it is an excellent amp full of many nessassery features. // 10

Sound: With this amp, I use a Vintage SG with double coil humbuker pickups, and it doesn't feed back very easily, and doesn't create unpleasent noise. This amp suits my music style of rock really well, as the distortion tones are really really nice. You can change anything to the settings of the tones, so the distortion can be very brutal, and can create a humongously wide variety of tones and sonuds. I don't know id the clean tones are distored at high volumes, because I've only ever need the volume half way up; thats in a gig in a large-ish club, which proves it's power! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on this amp any day. It does get quite heavy to carry around, but it has nver failed me. // 10

Overall Impression: The only other amps I have ever had are an old Vox, and an old Fendeer Frontman, so this amp is like a god to me. I've been playing guitar for 2 and a half years, and this is the best amps I have ever tried, even better than Marshall! I would defiently buy this amp again if I needed to, no doubt about it! I chose this amp because it was amazing for the price, and suited the style I play in. I recomend this amp for any rock guitarist. // 10

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 14, 2005

Features: As a previous review stated, this amp is good for intermediate players and people looking to upgrade from a practice amp, although there are better alternatives. I bought this amp about a year ago, and was fairly excited about it at the time, but as time wore on I was unable to get the sound I was really looking for. I play mostly metal and classic rock, but I like to cover the musical spectrum with everything from blues to classical, so this amp really doesn't help. It has four channels, which are alright, except if you gig you hafta buy a footswitch so you don't have to stop playing. The effects are not particularly pleasing. The ability to adjust the set the effects is very poor, and things like chorus go from barely anything to full on vibrato-space alien with 2 degrees of knob rotation. same with the flange. the delay isn't too bad, neither is the reverb, but I havent played a better amp with reverb. its got more than enough power, but as mentioned elsewhere, bad tone at loud volumes is still bad tone. I've also heard that it does not like to cooperate with pedals much. I've only used a boss super chorus through it, and it was alright on the clean channel. // 6

Sound: I play this amp with a Strat equipped with Dimarzio Evo's, and it sounds pretty good after I spent an hour tweaking the EQ so I got the distortion sound I wanted. the clean is very weak compared to a tube or higher quality solid state amp (especially tube). Twang is annoying, blues is too muddy, and crunch is a damn joke. Quite frankly, the metal setting is crunchier than the crunch setting. Metal is good if you mess with the eq enough, but its never as brutal as a high gain tube amp. Insane is retarded. Sorry to all the nu-metal fans, but it sounds like a howler monkey going through a trash compactor, and has little or no musical application. If it does, we're all screwed. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I can say my amp is reliable, and I don't gig often, so I would probably use it without a backup. I have heard reports of knobs or effects breaking, but not too often. Mine has never had a problem, although its deceivingly heavy. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this amp is good a first and mediocre at the end. If you enjoy metal or nu-metal and are looking for something powerful and decent for that style, go for it. But if your progressing in your guitar career, save your money for something else. I've been playing for almost 5 years, and I've progressed beyond intermediate, so I plan on selling this guy on eBay and buying a Peavey XXX or a Marshall or something in that category. If you play any style other than metal or hard rock, I strongly recommend you look elsewhere to amps suited to your style. This amplifier attempts to cover too broad a spectrum, and ends up falling short in many departments. // 6

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 02, 2005

Features: This amp was made in 2004 and it is a kick ass amp with all of the features it has. The effects are great sounding, though I really wish that the chorus and flanger could have been seperate. The four channels it has was a great feature (instead of the common "clean", "distortion" and "lead") so you can have two different distortions and everything. Works great if you get a fvb-4 footswitch. All of the different amp models were great except for 2 of them. I'm not sure if it came like this or just a f--k up in the manufacturing. The metal-green channel has some of the best distortion, but the problem is it gets way to loud too quick and you cant risk using it (you can turn the channgel volume all of the down with the master on 1 and you can still hear it) crazy, and the insane-red channel was messed up too, this weird effect was on it that you cant take off, so that sucks. // 8

Sound: This is a great amp if you are looking for versatile sound for what every kind of music you may be wanting to play. The features were ok, but the sound is excellent. The amp can take a good beating, you can crank distortion and gain into this thing and it sounds absolutely destructive, it dosen't get muddy what so ever. The clean models sounds to beautiful, they show come of the best clarity I've ever heard from an amp (it sounds better or as good as most Fenders). // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is deffinately dependable, I've already had this amp rained on and dropped, and this thing still works and sounds as great as it did whenever I first got it out of the box. It is perfect for gigs too, the sounds can reach for ever. And it has never glitched on me beofre, ever. It's a keeper. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, hardrock, and some really dramatic clean s--t. And this amp can cover all of it. It was perfect for me (though I'm still aiming for an HD-147). I've been playing though for only 2 ad a half years, but I know what I'm talking about. The one problem I can tell though is that you need a good guitar to really bring out tonal quality (I have an Epiphone SG Special, it sucks). I would get this amp again if I needed too. Still the model mess ups get to me, but I get over it, the others make up for it. So, if your interested, it's deffinately worth a try, and worth the money for 150 watts of Line 6 power. // 10

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2005

Purchased from: Local music store

Features: The list is endless. This amp combines a killer amplifier, a rack full of effects, and a tuner all in one. One knob allows you to choose from 6 different preset models, each with 2 different settings. The drive, low, mid, and high knobs allow you to further mold your sound to your liking. The amp pays for itself with the 7 useful effects built right in. Buying 7 pedals, power sources, cables, and a rack would easily cost more than the price of this amp. one knob allows you to adjust the level of chorus/flange, phase, or tremolo; another allows you to add delay, tape echo (delay + an eerie windy sound), or sweep echo (delay + a strange watery effect); and another knob allows you to add reverb. The tap button makes the delay/tape/sweep echo knob as versatile as any delay pedal, but as simple to adjust as pressing a button and adjusting the knob. A blinking led light beside each effect can be adjusted by pressing the tap button indicating the frequency of the delay repititions. Holding the tap button turns the amp into a high quality guitar tuner. Once you adjust the levels of the effects, model, equalization, and channel volume level, you can bank it in one of the 4 channels and create 3 more completely different sounds to save. Finally, the master volume knob allows you to adjust all for channel's volumes at once, but still keep them in check to each other. This is one of the most versatile amps I've ever seen in my life. I use every single feature and effect for at some point. I write many different styles of music, and this amp allows me to make each one sound its very best. Channel a is straight metal distortion with no effects; b is metal with chorus/flange and tape echo; c is the blues model with phase, and d is the insane model with phase and delay. I use this amp in my personal studio, at band practice, and at gigs. It sounds phenomenal for any use, I highly reccomend this amp. // 10

Sound: I have 2 guitars, a BC Rich Virgin with 2 dual humbuckers, and a Yamaha with 2 dual humbuckers and 1 single coil. The BC Rich gives the amp a heavy, ballsy sound, and the Yamaha gives it a twangy, higher sound. The only external effects I use is a cheap-o arion octave pedal or my dunlop crybaby wah, both of which sound perfect through this amp. The soundgate on this amp is incredible. Even when I have the master volume up to where I play for gigs, I can still sit on the amp holding my guitar and the speaker will be completely silent, but I can shred away and get perfect tone on my guitar solos. Despite the external speaker ports on the amp, the dual speakers inside the amp are all that I need. The speakers more than deliver each of the amps settings, with a noticable difference in even the slightest adjustments. All the models of the amp sound exactly how they're supposed to be at any volume. The clean model sounds closer to an acoustic guitar than anything I've ever heard, the twang model gives you an eric clapton sound, the blues model makes my cheap Yamaha sound comparable to BB King's Lucille, The crunch gives you just enough distortion to sound like The Mars Volta's Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, the metal model turns you into the next kirk hammet, and the insane model can give you either all the distortion you'll ever need, or a sick robotalk pedal-like sound. by far brutal enough for anyones tastes. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Normal wear and tear of hauling this big amp around town hasn't even phased its hard shell. I havent notices a single scratch or dent in it. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is just plain incredible. The minds at Line 6 have created a masterpiece. I've been playing music for more than 5 years, but guitar for only 2. I've owned 2 different Peavey amps which I loved, but were just too small for my needs, so I bought this hoping I could upgrade my sound. I'll never by another amplifier. The delay is by far my favorite feature. You can perfectly recreate buckethead's "Big Sur Moon" with the crunch, rapid delay, and the palm of your hand. I love this amp. // 10

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 11, 2005

Purchased from: Bruno's Guitars

Features: This amp is really great. It has many features that are great for allmost every guitarist! You have 6 amp models with every time a green led and a red led. I play mostly hardrock and metal and it's just perfect. The insane channel on this amp is just perfect. It can give you as much distortion as you want to play real heavy metal but when you put the gain on 3 it is perfect for songs like 'Seven Nation Army'. The amp has 4 programmable channels and the amp was delivered with a 2 button footswitch. There are a few effect loops like: chorus/flanger, sweep echo, tape echo, delay, phaser. But I almost never use them because they don't sound very good. The amp is 150 watt stereo and I haven't gigged with it yet but for practice with the band it's loud enough! I usually set the master channel on 4 and that's loud enough. // 8

Sound: I own a Squier Showmaster with a humbucker and a single coil and I have to admit, it isn't the greatest guitar but still it sounds great with this amp. One of the features of this amp is a noise gate so it doesn't get noisy even when you stand next to it with the gain on 10! I only use a few channels from the 6 channels (clean, metal and insane) and they al sound great. The clean sound really clean, the metal is very heavy and the insane is just great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged with it yet but I'm shure that it's very great for gigs and I wouldn't take a backup. The amp has not yet broken down and it's like a rock! The only weak thing on this amp are the buttons. One problem with this amp is that it is really heavy (25 to 30 kilos). // 8

Overall Impression: This amp suits allmost every music style and is great for the period between practice amp and a halfstack. If it where lost I wouldn't buy it again but I would buy a halfstack. It's not that I ain't satisfied with it but a halfstack is just what every guitarist dreams of I think. The only things I would change on this amp are the effects that could sound lots better and instead of a 2 button switch, a 4 button switch (with or without a expression pedal) would be much better. For everything else - great amp! // 10

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2006

Features: Within the first 15 minutes of using the amp in the shop I was more than happy with it's base features. Eventually after buying Spider II 212 working with the amp models the amp became even more attractive. You have to give the amp a bit of time to work out it's capabilities. I wanted an amp with a whole heap of features but without the huge price tag and I got it. // 10

Sound: Don't listen to reviews that when in clean mode it sounds like reverb is also on. Those who say so spend your money on a descent guitar that will output a true sound. Having used an 80 watt Music Man for many years (sadly it has passed away) I gained a real respect for quality of sound. The Spider II 212 will give you a great sound. My only quams with the amp would be to have done more with the blues channel. Maybe a 2nd blues channel but one with more twang and flick to it. Maybe a jazz channel? Also if need be you can turn the amp up to 11 and it will still produce a good clean sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The amp has a sold case. You can sit/stand on it if you want. Give it some breathing space at the back though. I have only had the amp for a few months now and it's held up as well as any amp should in and out of cars/vans and onto stages/floors etc. You want snap the amp in half if your worried. // 10

Overall Impression: If you want an amp purely for quality. One that I'm sure will pass the test of time without having to pay for a name. (Marshall get your act together) this is the amp to get. I use a wide rang of guitars with this amp and the amp delivers every time. I can higherly recommend the Line 6 Floorboard to polish of the ease of playing. I have given the amp as hard as time as possible and it has stood up well. Plenty of volume - trust me on that! Line 6 have (I find) put 100% into their equiptment they make and I'm sure you wont be let down. // 10

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 17, 2006

Features: There's absolutely no arguing that the Spider II is a very versatile piece of kit, I bought it mainly for gigs as it's one loud mother and would give me a great range of sounds that I could choose from. On a less technical level however, the amp wasn't too big, the weight was well distributed and all in all it was a pretty solid amp. // 10

Sound: I use Seymour Dunan pickups mainly (distortion humbucker in my Ibanez RG, invader in my DeLonge Strat and an invader in a Pacifica that I'm kitting up) and I don't think the Line 6 does them any justice, I've tried all sorts of guitars through this and I don't think this amp has great sound basically. The amp in general just sounds very artificial. I'm not the greatest guitarist in the world by any means, nor am I techinally knowledgeable but I know what sound I like and this was not it. I persevered for about 8 months then upgraded to a Marshall mode 4. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I would definately have used this amp without a backup if I had liked the sound! Basically giging with my band it was fantastically hard wearing, stuffed in the back of my little vauxhall astra amongst god knows what else, dropped a good few times, kicked over in one of those fake rockstar moments or just general misuse, this amp never gave up! // 8

Overall Impression: I play mainly punk or metal. I love experimenting however, blues or classic rock mostly, which is why I bought the amp, being under the impression that it was every amp in the world packed into one little thingy. This may be true to an extent, but I'm much happier with my mode 4 knowing that although I can't really experiment hugely with the sounds, the sound I'm using is nice and not totally artificial. // 3

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 22, 2006

Features: I'm buying this amp from a friend, for a good price, and I've played it a lot, and I have to say I love it. I see a lot of the reviews complaining about how it really caters to nu-metal kids, but you can get whatever sound you want out of it if you just spend some time on it. You can't just snap your fingers and get the effect you want. I think the features of the amp are great, especially for the price. One that really sticks out is the external speaker jacks on the backside of the amp. It puts out stereo, 75W on each side, and when you plug, say, a half-stack cabinet into it, the speakers in the amp turn off, so you can use it as just the head, meaning you can buy this amp, and then save up and get a nice cabinet, and you've got a half-stack. // 8

Sound: I used this amp with a Jackson DKMGT Dinky guitar. It's got EMG pickups, 85 at the bridge, 81 at the neck. I play a lot of different styles of music, mostly rock, but I do play some blues from time to time. It suits the several different styles I play quite well. It can be noisy, but like I said earlier, you just have to spend some time with it. It's got several different effects you can tweak to get the sound you really want. The clean channel sounds just as clear turned all the way up as it does turned down, and the distortion kills (in a good way). // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used this amp at a gig without a backup, it's extremely dependable. I've never had any problems with it, it's very well constructed, and durable. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this amp, and I'm planning on keeping it. If it was lost or stolen somehow I would definately want to replace it. I love everything about this amp, Line6 really did a great job. I don't hate anything about it, except how heavy it is, but that's not really a big deal. I love how I was able to plug it into my Crate 4X12 cabinet, and use just the head. I thought that was really cool. The only thing I would change about it, is, I would make the footswitch cheaper, so I can buy it, lol. The amp isn't perfect, but it's damn good. I give it an 8. // 8

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: bodec_, on july 25, 2006

Purchased from: Music World Academy

Features: There are a total of 10 knobs on the amp. The first is amp models, allowing you to pick between 12 different amp models. The second is drive, which pretty much determines how much distortion you want. The next three are bass, mid, and treble, which have next to no effect on the sound at all. Sixth is channel volume. Next three are effects knobs. These effects are very poor and give you very little room to experiment, you'd be much better off buying a pedal. Finally theres the master volume knob. You can save 4 preset sounds. Overall the features do not change the sound much. // 6

Sound: I'm playing on a Jackson. I'm not sure what model. The amp sound does not change much. All the distortions sound the same. The bass, mid and treble knobs do not change the tone much. It sounds mostly the same no matter what pickup I use. Also, when you turn on an effect such chorus or reverb for example, play for a while, and turn it off, teh effect lingers for a while. This also happens when I use my Crybaby Wah with the amp. It leaves it with a very trebley tone. The overall sound of the amp is not very good, maybe for a practice amp, buying the spider 15 may be good, but it is not good for a larger amp. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I've played a couple gigs with it and jam with it often, it has never broken down. It's extremely heavy but oh well, the only thing is sometimes the sound changes for no reason during the middle of a song, it will become more or less trebley for no reason at all. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall it is not a good amp. I am attempting to return it to the store. I liked it at the time I bought it but then I was just looking for some built in effects. Don't take an hour to play around on this amp and then buy it. Honestly take your time and think about it because I almost guarantee you will come to hate it. // 1

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: StuLovesMusic, on january 11, 2007

Features: This amp is totally versatile, which is one of the main reasons I bought it. I was looking for an amp that was pretty loud, tough, full of options, and in a moderate price range. And this amp fills those specifications perfectly. I play a little bit of everything and this amp gave give a sound for everything I play. And it's tough for when my band goes on the road. When you buy this amp the employee will probably ask you if you are interested in the footswitch that comes along with the amp, if they don't, and you play Live, then you ask them. It is only $70 and allows you to Switch between the 4 savable channels that you can set. And it has a wah pedal attached. Although I wish this amp were tube, it does come with 2 celestion speakers that, when cranked up, sound pretty darn good, and pretty loud. Also there are "tap" settings in which you can set the delay, echo, and other features, times and repetitions. There are also 6 preset channels that sound good, and are great for beginners Who aren't exactly sure how to work an amp. // 8

Sound: I have used both humbuckers, and single coils through this amp and both sound powerful and clear. It suits me pretty well, seeing as how it has so many different sounds at such a good price. I haven't had any noise problems with this guitar like buzz, or crackling or anything of the sort. Although when you change to the Insane channel be ready for some distortion and noise. I haven't had a distorted clean channel at high volumes to where it has become problematic. And the distortion on this amp is sweet, for when I do a distorted song, I usually flip it to the Metal channel and it sounds real thick yet crunchy, with little excess humming. Of course it depends on the song for which setting you are on. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I definitely depend on this amp, and I have used it in gigs with and without backups, it's very tough. I depend on this amp always, as it has never broken down on me and I take good care of it. It is a good amp especially for the price. Reliable, and durable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a blend of everything mainly Indie Rock, and this amp is a good match with all of its versatile sounds and options. I would've gotten the larger Line 6 pedal to go with this amp had I known about it previous to my purchase. If this amp were stolen I would save up and get a tube amp. I love the price and all of the options and performance that come with that price, I wish it were tube. If you cannot afford a tube amp get this amp, don't buy a marshal or Fender if they are not tube, from my comparison this is the best non tube amp at this price. // 9

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: myke_hale, on march 17, 2008

Features: I don't know the year the Line 6 Spider II was made, but I know it was discontinued in December 2006 because Line 6 made the Spider III, so I got at a discount from Guitar Center. This amp is extremely versitile and can be used for any playing style you can think of, I use it to play punk, metal, and blues styles. This amp is a solid state modeling amp and has 12 channels: 2 clean channels, 2 twang channels, 2 blues channels, 2 crunch channels, 2 metal channels, and 2 insane channels. It has a drive control, 3 tone controls, and a channel volume control. Another feture it has is 4 programable channels. It also has 7 onboard effects: chorus/flange, phaser, tremolo, delay, tape echo, sweep echo, and reverb. The Spider II also has a built-in standard tuner, a distortion boost, and a noise gate feature. It has every feature that I want, and I use or have used every feature on on it at one point. I use this amp for everything from practice by myself to practice with my band members, even live shows, and it has more than enough power for me, but I still wish that when I bought it I had enough money to buy a Spider II half stack. // 10

Sound: I use it with an ESP F-50 Guitar with stock ESP humbuckers, and it has an amazing tone. I usually play punk, metal, blues, and sometimes classic rock, and the Spider II suits all of the styles of music that I like to play. It can make the most crisp and clean tone all the way up to the the most crazy of the distorted tones, and it has the most tonal variety of any amp I have ever played. My amp can get noisy if I try to play open chords on the heavy distortion settings. The clean channel only gets distorted if you turn the distortion boost on and turn up the drive half way, but it stays clean even if I turn the volume up to 11. (At this point I get a visit from the cops). The distortion can go from a lightly driven clean all the way up to the ear splitting growl of the insane Drive, so it be very brutal if you make it, and it all depends on the tone controls as well. I don't use the distortion mods that often anymore because I got a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal so I can switch the distortion on and off while playing, but if I want to play something with a ton of distortion I will turn on the Insane-Green LED. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very dependable, and durable too. I have had it since December 22, 2006, and I have never had one problem out of it. I would definatly use it at a gig without backup. If this amp ever blows, I will still use Line 6 (My next amp will be a Line 6 Spider Valve half stack). // 10

Overall Impression: My amp is a perfect match for any guitarist (beginning or pro), and it is great for all playing styles. I have been playing for 4 years now, and I have had my Line 6 for about a year and 4 months and in that time I haven't had a single problem out of it. I have an ESP F-50 electric guitar, A Squire acoustic, and a Washburn Lyon bass. I have also had 2 Fender Frontman 15G amps, and a Peavey Transtube-Rage158 amp (all of which blew pretty quickly). If someone stole my amp first of all I would try to hunt them down and make them expeariance a little pain, but if I couldn't get it back I would get a Line 6 Spider Valve half stack because they discontinued my amp about a month before I bought it. I love everything about it and would never sell it I have no favorite feature on it because I love everything on it the same. There is nothing I could hate about this amp because it is so perfect. Before I bought it I was looking at a Marshall MG250DFX Stereo Combo Amp, a Crate XT120R 120W, and a Vox Valvetronix AD100VT 100w 2x12 Guitar Combo Amp. I chose the Line 6 because I liked the sound, and because it was a lot easier to use than the other amps. The only thing I wish that I had gotten along with this amp is the Line 6 FBV Shortboard so I could change my effects, and amp channels with my feet. // 10

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: nick dixon, on august 27, 2008

Features: Read what everyon else had put, there's no point listing it all again. I really like the sound of the speakers that come with these amps, really punchy, don't sound thin and farty. // 9

Sound: I play use a Fender Strat mainly. The amp has a pretty good emulation of the amps you mimic, but overall it sounds just flat with no character, you don't get the same responce like you get from a loud analouge amp. Bearing in mind, the amp has to convert, sample and anaylse andemualte a sound, play it back through a DA/AD converter, then amplify it, there will be a slight amount latency in the sound being heard. Hence to me, they have almost a soft attack when you hit the strings, like a gate that cuts in about 3 ms afterwards. Hard to explain, if you try one, you'll see what I mean. In a Live situation, it dosent really come into it, but it becomes noticible when your recording. I'll give Line 6 the credit this amp does what it says, it's a digital modeling amp, not a funky soul machine. don't expect to nail a great tone, it's just an emulation at the end of the day, however some of the clean tones are expceptional on this amp, the Fender Twin or "green twang" is pretty good I thought. With it being a 2x12, there's plenty of deep bassy sound and punch. Although the effects seem quite a novelty, and there isnt a huge amount of control onto them, you can create a good sound. I have no idea what sound they intened to create with the "red insane" dial, other then an absoulte god awful noise that sounds like a bad acid trip in your ears. Its just about possible to copy every guitar tone out there with this amp, from 50's small tweed amps to big high gain half stacks. I think overall, it deserves the credit for what it was intended for, so stop bloody bashing them about it! // 7

Reliability & Durability: Well, I have to say, it's a bloody well made amp. I can't really fault it. I've heard a few times they develop faults with the digital side of things, but most Amps have a gaurentee anyway, and Line 6 customer support service is pretty good actually. My mates have a pair of Spider III 150 watt half stacks (pretty much the same amp, just new presets and cosmetics). they've been bashed around on stage, had beer and coke spilt on them, thrown into the back o a horse box and they're still going fine. They play them loud too, so the power amps getting a good work out. If you look on the back, the heat sink is completly exposed to the air around it, so there's plenty of cooling. The last thing you want is your transistors getting hot, otherwise it will just die on you. Great amp. // 9

Overall Impression: I can't understand why people are constantly slagging these amps off. they're great gigging amps. If you are looking for sweet tone, this amp isn't for you. If you are looking for your own tone, this amp isn't for you. If you weigh 7 stone... this amp really isn't for you! (it weighs a bloody ton) If it was nicked, I wouldn't buy another spider, I'd probably get a flextone or somthing. The good thing is, if they go wrong, just get another one. they're so cheap second hand. // 8

Spider II 212 Reviewed by: fattestpenguin, on july 02, 2010

Purchased from: A friend

Features: This is a very versatile amp; it is good for most genres of music. It has three clean channel presets, Clean, Twang, and Blues, and three distortion channel presets, Crunch, Metal, and Insane. For each of these channels there are two modes, indicated by either a red or green LED next to the preset selection. Each of the modes has a different preset, so all in all there are twelve presets. After tampering with the original presets to develop your own sounds, you can save up to four of your own sounds to the amp; your saved channels are labeled A, B, C, and D. Used in conjunction with an FBV Express foot pedal (which I use) or one of the many similar compatible pedals from Line 6, it is very easy to change channels mid-song. On top of the multiple available presets and the usual Treble, Bass, Mid, and Gain knobs, there are tons of effects built in. These include Chorus Flange, Phaser, Tremolo, Delay, Tape Echo, Sweep Echo, and Reverb. With this amp you can change the intensity of each effect, and for the Delay, Tape Echo and Sweep Echo effects you can change the tempo of the effect so that it will follow the rhythm of your music. This is a very convenient control, especially with a foot pedal. There is also a headphone jack and there are outputs for each speaker on the back. It is a solid state amp which has two 12" Celestion custom speakers and runs at 150W. // 10

Sound: I use my Line 6 Spider II 212 amp with a Telecaster that contains Seymour Duncan pickups. Because of the wood of my guitar and the pickup setup, my distortion tended to come up a little flat and lacking bass. This is not to say that it is the fault of the amp though; I got a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster Pedal to get that low end distortion. I have used other guitars made of basswood and similar heavy woods and the low end is always outstanding with this amp. This amp is seemingly intended for a metalist; there is a dedicated 'Metal' preset and the 'Insane' preset, on green mode (each preset has two modes, indicated with a red or green LED), provides the maximum distortion (and volume) obtainable by the amp. Playing metal and similar styles myself, this amp is perfect. When the bass and treble are all the way up and the mid is low or all the way down it is easy to obtain a harsh metal sound like that of The Devil Wears Prada, for example. This amp is not noisy at all, unless you want it to be. There is a built in Noise Gate feature which cancels out background sound, but if feedback is a part of a song, you can choose to turn it off. THIS AMP IS LOUD. It's probably the only combo amp in it's price range that can come anywhere close to the volume of a good half stack. I've used it at multiple gigs and I don't think I've even needed to turn the volume up much past halfway. Of course, due to the ability to combine two pedal effects (one from each of the effects knobs), there are a huge amount of sounds that this amp can make. From a clean spacious chorus to a super distorted chug, it's good for just about anything. The distortion is as heavy as it gets, and the bass from chugs can make a room shake, or a crowd move. My ONLY complaint with this amp is the sound from the clean channels. It may just be my inability to develop a good sound, but to me the clean channel presets just don't sound very warm, except for the Twang preset. I also use two pedals in addition to the footswitch for the four channels, and when I'm playing chords loudly on my guitar while clean, it seems like one of them causes them to kind of crackle on the amp. This is just a warning, watch out for that if using other effects pedals. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is where the 212 shines even more; this amp is SOLID. I've used it at multiple gigs with no back up. There's just no need, unless you manage to drop it in a puddle and soak it. While it is a bit heavy, the amp just feels sturdy and I never worry about scratching it up. Also, in the year that I've had it, it has NEVER broken down or had any problems what'soever. // 10

Overall Impression: Personally, I play metal, post-hardcore, and similar genres. This amp is definitely a perfect match for these kinds of music, but I'm sure it would work just as well for several other genres. I've been playing for about three years now, and have owned the amp for one. While I have a Telecaster (which delivers GREAT high end sound on this amp by the way), I think that something with EMG, Seymour Duncan, or similar humbuckers is the ideal match for this amp. If this amp was ever stolen or lost (it's a bit tough to lose), I would definitely consider buying the same amp or at least a similar Line 6 combo due to their dependability. I love the variety of sounds and the volume capabilities of the Spider II 212 combo, and really my only issue was with the sound of the clean channel. When compared to a friend's Marshall, I think that the sound (and volume, as always) blew it away. For a combo amp, I think this is about as good as they get. // 10

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review