Spider II 30 Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 10/01/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Line 6: Spider II 30
Spider II 30 gives you four independent amp channel models to punish your audience with. The Clean, Crunch, Metal, and Insane channels come preset with tone and effects settings ready to rumble wherever and whenever you are.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 9.2
 8.4
 9.1
 7.6
reviews (34) 50 comments vote for this gear:
Spider II 30 Reviewed by: atkm2891, on december 27, 2005

Purchased from: Bansbach

Features: The amp was made in 2005 and is great. I play metal, mostly In Flames, Arch Enemy, Children Of Bodom, and Metallica. It even has a preset for Master Of Puppets. It has 4 channels: clean (just the normal sound), crunch (slightly distorted sound), metal (great metal, distorted sound), Insane (Line 6 signature sound, heavy distortion). They are chosen by buttons that light up when pressed. It also has 6 Smart FX: chorus/flanger, tremolo, phaser on 1 knob, and sweep echo, tape echo, and reverb on the other. These have intensity control on them. The tape echo has a tap delay time, chosen by a button above the Smart FX knobs. It has a drive, bass, mid, treble, channel volume and a master volume knob. It has a headphone jack, and a CD/mp3 In. The headphone jack also works as a recording out. 2 footswitch models work with it: FBV2 and FBV4. It has a 12" 30 watt celestion. Right now I'm using it in my house, and it definitely has the power for it, might have the power for gigs. The tap Delay time button has 2 extra features: distorion boost - press and hold the tap delay time button and turn the drive knob past 12 o'clock and you get a more distorted sound (pre-amp distortion). Noise gate - press and hold the tap delay time button while you turn the echo/reverb knob past twelve o'clock and you get a noise gate, which is pretty much what it sounds like, a gate that cuts all the screeching, hissing noises, you usually get with heavily distorted effects. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with an ESP EX-50, that has Grover humbucker pickups, sounds great. It suits my style, metal, mostly In Flames, Arch Enemy, Children Of Bodom, and Metallica. It's real noisy, especially the Insane mode. The amp makes sounds that range from heavy, distorted sounds, to light, high sounds. It has huge variety of sounds, with billions of combinations. The distortion is great in metal, but Insane is a little intense. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I just bought this amp, so I'm not sure about it's durability. It definitely looks reliable. I would use it in a gig without a backup. It's never broken down on me and always sounds great. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 3 years, and I own a Wasburn Bad Dog amp, Washburn WRD112, Boss MD-2, and an ESP EX-50. If it were stolen I would definitely buy a new one. My favorite feature is the chorus/flange, that is awesome. I cmopared it to a smaller, Randall amp, but I didn't like it as much, and it had less features. This Spider II 30 amp also has 2 special hidden functions: disable auto, preset FX: turn the amp on with the Insane button held. Reset programmable channels to factory settings: turn the amp on with the clean button held. // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 14, 2005

Features: It has four channels: clean, crunch, metal, and insane. It has lots of effects like: reverb, tremolo, chorus/flange, phaser, tape echo, sweep echo, and distortion boost. I play a lot of classic and modern punk and this amp is great for it. It has 30watts and I usually use it for my own playing at home but sometimes for jamming with drummers. I am sure that it would plenty loud enough for club gigs or talent shows as well. // 8

Sound: I use EMG pickups and a strat with it and the diversity of the amp is pretty good. It can range from extremely loud to very quiet so you can play with friends or by yourself and not annoy other residents. It can make a large range of different tone and at Line6.com you can find the control settings for 27 famous songs. The distortion on insane and metal is all that you could ask for and the clean and crunch channels give you a crisp and clear tone. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You can depend on this amp very well it would be suitable for a club gig and it won't fail you. There is a two year warranty on it if you just pay a $20 deposit, so if the speaker blows or something you don't have to worry at all. It has never broken down or gave any sign of problems. // 8

Overall Impression: I recomend the Spider II to every guitarist who want a good deal on an amp that they can depend on and just have a lot of fun with. I would take over many products, two thumps up! // 8

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: darkarbiter7, on december 07, 2007

Purchased from: Local store - Used

Features: My spider II was made probably between 2002 and 2005. This was made before the spider III's came out. First off, before I commence this review, I will rate it at the standpoint as a practice amp. That is what the spider series is. I don't mind if someone buys one of the little combos (like the 15 and 30) for practice, but if someone buys a spider halfstack when they could have gotten a good tube combo, that really ticks me off. Anyways, back to the review: The amp is very versatile. It can do anything, it's just the matter on how good it does everything. I will go over this in the sound section. It has 4 channels (clean, crunch, metal, insane). it has a headphone jack and it's footswitchable by an optional Switch. Well, it has a lot of features, but a lot of those aren't good enough to gig or even record with. Again, I'll go over this in the sound section. I used (I sold it) this amp at home and I toted it around to youth group. Once I knew what tones I wanted, I bought a good tube combo. It's 30 solid state watts, so it got reasonably loud, but like all practice solidstates, it would mud up even with the treble maxxed and the bass rolled down. But, lots of features, especially for a practice amp, so that's what my rating will go toward. // 8

Sound: I used this with a strat. I didn't have any pedals at the time that I had this. Well, I was finding my style when I found it, but I could get a relatively usable tone for most genres of music. Playing blues, stick with the clean. for classic rock, use the crunch channel. For heavy rhythm playing (think Nirvana), the metal channel worked pretty well. And for high gain metal (and leads, as this is the only channel with enough sustain to actually be used as a soloing channel), the insane channel was there for me. It's a naturally noisy amp, but a built in noise gate hushes it up quite well. Like most lower wattage solid sates, the clean channel gets distorted in a bad way. that's why this is a strictly bedroom/practice amp. The distortion can get pretty heavy, or in pit speak: "the disto 1s t3h br00t4lz!" And it's true, this thing can get quite brutal distortion. But it's not very usable, so beware. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is where this amp outclasses many amps at the same price. It's a tough amp for what I used it for. I forgot what the chassis was made of, but it seemed durable. The amp has never broken down, and it's reliable like other solid states. And if it breaks down, you have an excuse to buy a new amp! // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this amp is ok for practice, and good for starters Who are searching for what style of music they want to play in the future. It also teaches you some different effects you can use like chorus/flange, delays, tremolo, stuff like that. It has reasonably good reverb too, so that's a bonus. But, if you're serious about your tone, and you're just starting out, get an amp that'll grow with you. Like one of those little 5 watt tube amps (Epi VJ, Champ 600, Peavey VK royal 8). // 7

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 27, 2005

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: 4 channels, a master volume which also controls volume, CD/drum machine input. A pretty good 12" speaker once it breaks in. Loud enough to jam with a drummer. Good sounding headphone output. No loop or external speaker. Sounds good on high volumes to you will need to EQ a little bit. // 8

Sound: I love the crunch channel real British sounds good with humbuckers. Clean is clean sounds very good also. Metal it doesn't like my guitar I am not a big fan recto amps any way. Insane great over thr top harmonics just pop out easy to get feedback excellent working gate. excellent sound for the money. // 10

Reliability & Durability: No problems I have not had any problems with Line 6 gear. // 10

Overall Impression: Wish they would added a dedicated blues channel. Speaker out jack and built in tuner. I think this is a great rock n roll amp I been playing since the '80s. I little more adjustment on the delay would be prefered. I think for money/sound this amp is hard to beat. Good choice for humbucker player who wants to rock out at home and with band to. // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: Darkel, on august 15, 2005

Features: This is a new amp, so it was probably made in 2004 or 2005. This is an incredibly versatile amp. Whether it be metal, classic rock, blues, anything. 4 channels, metal, crunch, clean and insane. Insane is just amazing. I've never heard any sound like it. It'll make even the lowliest guitar sound killer. However, it would be nice if the Distortion were better. You would probably need some kind of pedal if you wanted proper distortion. The 30 watts is plenty for jamming, although you may want its bigger brothers for a gig situation. But what would you expect from 30 watts? // 10

Sound: I'm using it with a Strat, and boy does it sound good on the metal and insane channels. It suits my style perfectly (prog-metal). But the Spider II suits pretty much every possible band. It has practically no noise, unless you press your ear against the amp. This amp has incredible variety. It has 6 built in effects, 2 at once. It has Chorus/flange, phaser, reverb, tape echo, sweep echo and tremeloe. It does have distortion (kind of hidden), but it isn't enough to depend on. There is no problems with the clean channel, althouh it does have put on sweep echo straight away, but it is easy to change that. As I said, the distortion is a let-down for an other-wise great amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have never had any trouble from this amp. I would certainly use it in an amp situation, although it does not have an amp-out, so you would need to mic it to hook it to a PA. // 10

Overall Impression: It suits me perfectly, and I'm sure it would suit most guitarists too. It could do with better distortion though, but that doesn't matter if you hit the metal and insane channels. If it were stolen, I would hunt down the person who took it. It's that good. The Roland Cube was tempting, but I'm pretty sure I made the right decision. // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: Gohex, on december 05, 2005

Features: This amp in my opinion is very versitile, you can change through 4 different settings, 'clean', which is very good for nice bluesy songs or solo's. 'Crunch' good for something with a slight tinge in it. 'Metal' which is distorted is good for songs with some distortion and backround chords. 'Insane' discribes itself, an awesome setting, great for those dragonforce and metallica songs. It has other settings like echo and tremelo, phaser etc. I dont really like these effects, they work ok but I don't use them often myself. I use the amp under my desk and it has enough power for me, it can go so damn loud it could break glass.. It shakes everything on my desk, my mum n dad get on to me for puttin it higher than a quarter of the volume, at that is being very tolerent. // 10

Sound: I use a Behringer with my Spider 2. It suits my music style, usually rock, I like to put the bass about halfway and drive all the way up, sounds so good. It has a wide variety of sounds and makes great noise with everyone. The clean is not ever distorted or vice versa. The distortion can be very distorted or only kind of if you know what your doing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a very reliable and easy to use amp. I would use it at a gig without backup and it has never broken down, apart from one time but thas cus of the power goin out around our town. // 10

Overall Impression: I use most styles of music and it suits all. I have been using this for a year now and its quite good. I use a Behringer electric on it and a black Stagg electro acoustic as well, it kidna makes droning noises with that guitar but overall an amazing amp. If I lost it or it got stolen I would buy another. I love the distortion on it, it's amazing. Don't hate anything. Although I do wish it had a footpedal to come with it so I don't have to stop during songs. // 9

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: CoNtRaCt KiLlA, on january 03, 2006

Features: I love the four presets on the amp, great for playing different styles of music. I thought that since this was only a 30w it wouldn't be enough power for me. Boy was I wrong. I turned it up not even to the second dot and it was already loud enough to play over my drums. It's great. // 10

Sound: I'm playing a Omen 6, and like I stated before it fits my music styles perfectly. I play a lot of punk and metal, and its perfect. There's no otehr noises like hum and stuff like that. The distortion is pretty heavy. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's very solid and I would have no concerns of it breaking. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great match for punk and metal. I've been playing for a year. I really love the four presets, buy a foot controller also. It's great for gigs. The one thing I dislike is if you turn on the amp without holding the insane switch, it's turns the delay on for the clean setting which is a bit annoying, but not a big deal. I'm just lazy. // 8

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: Metal Defender, on april 19, 2006

Purchased from: Dawsons Music

Features: This amp is a 2005 model. The amp is pretty versatile for my style of music which is mainly heavy metal. The amp has 4 channels which are clean, crunch, metal and insane, these settings can be used for nearly all types of music I suppose. You can switch between channels but if you dont want to keep pressing the button on the amp to change the channel you will need to buy either an FBV 2 or FBV 4 pedal so that you can change without your playing being interupted. The amp does have a headphone jack, but personally I don't think it sounds as good with them in. I never use tremolo even though its still a pretty cool effect, it can get quite annoying. I think a better effect could have took its place. I use this amp just as a practice amp at home, although I have gigged with it. The amp has a lot of power and putting the volume a quarter way is more than enough for me while practising. The amp is not a tube but still has a good sound. // 9

Sound: Currently I'm using a BC Rich Warlock with the standard BDSM humbucker pickups (which arn't that bad actually). The guitar has a nice deep tone to it and goes quite well with this amp. The 'insane' distortion setting is a really heavy distortion and you can change the built-in setting to whatever suits you. But I dont have the distortion knob turned all the way up because it just doesn't sound nice, so have it in between half way and 3 quarter way for a nice distortion sound. The amp suits my music style great, I play a lot of Iced Earth and it's really heavy and sounds good when muting on 'insane'. The amp is silent, which is great. But I have noticed it makes a little noise when on the 'metal' setting but I don't use that really no I'm not bothered. The clean channel is not distorted at high volumes or if it is turn the distortion down. It is only distorted a small amount if your playing power chords and hitting the strings hard. I then thought with turning the distortion down, it was too bassy, but that was just me. The distortion is very extreme, but can lack tone at high volumes, but I'm not sure whether thats just because I'm standing right next to it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The amp is built like a tank, I would definately gig without a backup. The amp has never let me down and I'm sure it won't ever. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall the amp is a decent match for my music. I have been playing nearly 2 years now, havent owned that much equipment but I know whats good and whats bad. If it were stolen I think I would search for a better amp or give some other practice amps a go (such as peaveys). The thing I love about this amp is the distortion, it's nice, powerful and not too bassy. The thing I hate is when changing channels with the footswitch. It is the fact that it does not change instantly so you have to press it some milliseconds before, which is annoying. My favorite feature is the echos, I use it on every channel because personally I think it gives it more feeling to the music you are playing. // 9

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: Fraserwatt, on august 22, 2007

Purchased from: GAK

Features: I'm not too sure when or where this amp was made. Is the amp versatile enough for me? lets just say this amp wasn't really made for versatility and leave it at that. It comes with 4 different settings: clean, crunch, metal and insane. The effects this amp comes with are flange, phaser, tremalo, reverb and 2 echo effects. It's a modelling amp. To be honest, as much as I'm fed up with it, the features are probably the highpoint for it, you get good value potentially. // 8

Sound: This is, in my opinion, the most important part when judging an amplifier. Unfortunately it is also the part where the Spider II falls the furthest. As I said before it comes with 4 channels: Clean: pants. I've fiddled about with the settings for a while, and the tone I get out really isnt that great. I'd get a better tone just holding up a mic to my guitar unplugged. Crunch: a bluesy kind of sound, it's not actually that bad this one to be fair, I mean it could be better, but I'd probably rate this individual tone a 6 or a 7. Unfortnatly I play mostly Power/Prog metal and have absalutely no use for this tone. Metal: this is pretty old school metal, this tone. unfortunately it sounds so digital and cold that I don't really use it. Insane: now I don't play death metal, which is what is implied by the whole "woah this distortion is insane" kind of thing, in my opinion, but this is probably the channel I use most. not a bad tone, but again, sounds so lifeless. If you want to fiddle about to make your own unique tone or if you want anything that isnt suggested on the box, tough luck. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I'll give it this much, it's a well built piece of gear, if for some reason unknown to even myself, I thought it was good enough for gigging, I would be able to rely on it not breaking down or anything, it's never broken down or even done anything it wasn't supposed to. Although if I were to sabotage a Line 6 Spider II, I recon if I whack it hard enough round the back, it's got a real weak spot there as there is no kind of panal at the back and it's an obvious weak point. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Progressive/Power Metal mostly, and I sometimes do some acustic parts, but to be honest, whatever kind of music I played, I don't think this would be that good a match. My favorite feature is probably the built in noise gate, as that is very effective. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely get something else, and I'm looking for something else anyway actually. // 4

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: TheMutts, on january 03, 2005

Purchased from: N/A

Features: The Line 6 Spider II series is an amazing amp module. But the Spider II 30 watt amp is one of the best practice amps I have ever played in my life! I now own my first Line 6 after I recieved it as a gift at Christmas. The features on this baby are astounding! There are 4 different channels and you can customize each channel's tone to fit exactly what you need! Theres clean, crunch, metal, and Line 6's signature channel, insane. I love playing Enter Sandman on the metal channel. Just because it sounds exactly like Metallica! There are also 6 effects you can adjust to your pleasure. Chorus flange, phaser, tremelo, tape echo, sweep echo, and reverb. And a cool little device you tap on to choose a speed of echo. Its really killer. Another awsome feature is that you can plug in your cd player/mp3 player and play the songs from that and play your guitar along on the amp at the same time! I play my new Green Day album like this all the time. Theres a plug for headphones, and FBV pedals. The features on this amp are so great how could they get it all into this 30 watt practice amp? // 10

Sound: The sound I really like. But I'll explain to you why I gave it a 4. When I turn on the amp and its in clean mode (or when I just sweep to the clean channel) theres an echo effect on (even with the dial turned to 0). I can turn it off, I just turn the dial up and down to 0. But theres still an odd swooshy sound in the clean. It's extremely unnoticable but still I can kind of still hear it. Its really no big deal at all but I am just writing the review. But other than that small detail, the sound is above amazing. The distortion can be played raw, smooth, light, heavy any way you like. And Line 6's website provides all the tone settings to some of the greatest bands and songs in the history of rock. Songs like "Purple Haze", "Master Of Puppets", "Whats my age again?", "Smoke On The Water" and more and more. And yes it will sound exactly like the real songs! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this amp for a very long time. But so far I have had absolutly no problems at all. None. It's been acting like a good little amp should. I use it during gigs absolutly! There's no reason not to use this amp if you have it! Simple as that. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this bad boy is "wow!" Simply that. I love it and I'll play it for hours. I'm telling you to buy this amp now! Heh. It's a great buy. I bought it for less than $250 bucks! One of the best values I have ever seen! If it seems to good to be true, it isn't. I'm telling you, not out of hype, but out of fact and experience. I will advice you strongly to check this amp out if you are looking to buy a practice combo amp around 30 watts. Line 6 freaking rules! // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: mrbeanconqueror, on january 25, 2005

Features: The Line 6 Spider II 30 is a digital amp. It is made in China. I guess it is made quite recently because the guy who sold me this told me that this is a new model from Line 6. This amp is packed with tonnes of features. It has four different channels, clean, crunch, metal and insane (which is my personal favourite). I was told that Line 6 got the permission from Marshall and Mesa Boogie that they modelled the crunch channel after the Marshall amp and the Metal channel after the Mesa Boogie Rectifier. So, you have the sound of two different amps in just one amp, plus the insane channel, which is an exclusive sound made by Line 6. The amp also has two built-effects for chorus effects and delay effects. It also comes with a headphone jack and a footswitch hole so that you can plug in the exclusive Line 6 footswitch to switch between channels while performing. // 10

Sound: Even though my personal preference is towards hard rock and metal, I play all sorts of music on this amp, from pop to metal and it suits perfectly. I am currently using an Aria Fat Strat and this amp just makes the guitar sound so beautiful. And the distortion is just simple awesome. I tried my guitar on other amps and it simply doesn't sound nice but this amp makes my guitar sound so beautiful. I played Master Of Puppets and Crazy Train through this amp and with the right amp settings, it will sound exactly the same as the original song. The amp even has a good noise control system, so the amp is never noisy. However, there is a slight problem. The clean sound from this amp has a strange effect in it. The clean sound has a little echo in it if you strum your guitar too hard. I dislike the clean sound because of this echo as it really makes the clean channel sound so artificial. Moreover, mine comes with a technical fault. Even though you have turned off the delay effect while in clean channel, the delay effect will be automatically turned on after you have switched back to the clean channel from another channel. However, the knob tells you that you have already turned the delay effect off but the delay effect has been automatically turned on. This is quite frustrating especially if you do not want any problems like this when switching between channels during gigging. Other than that, the amp simply sounds beautiful, no matter whether you are in clean, crunch, metal or insane channel. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have just bought it and it is working perfectly. However, this amp is loud and reliable enough to use on a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: The amp is just great. It suits me perfectly and I can play anything from pop to metal. This amp can even make what you are playing sound exactly like the actual song. If I were to turn back time, I would really demand the guy who sold me the amp to tell me why the delay effect is automatically turned on in the clean channel after switching from another channel. This technical fault is just simply frustrating. Moreover, the amp doesn't have a good clean sound, so it may somehow make the pedal sound bad. However, the distortion on the amp already sounds so brutal and you may not even need a pedal. If it were stolen, I would still buy it again. I guess it is more versatile than a Marshall MG30 and because of the lower price and versatility, I chose this amp. If I am able to buy a Jackson RR3, this amp will make me sound godly. // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 31, 2005

Features: I think this amp was made recently because that is what the guy told me. This amp is amazing for what I play. I play mainly rock and punk and with both of those I can get a great sound out of it. It has 4 channels clean, crunch, metal and insane! All of these are good because if you find a style you like on each of them you can save it on that setting, so when ever you go on that setting it will be like that untill you change it. It also has 6 effects on it, these are chorus, phaser, tremelo, sweep echo, tape echo and reverb. All of these sound great. The amp also has a headphone jack and a footswitch input. I use this amp at home and at practise, I have not yet used it for a gig yet but it is fully capable. // 10

Sound: At the moment I have an Epiphone '58 Explorer with all the original things on it and the sounds from it are truly breath taking. This is the perfect amp for me and my band. The amount of volume you can get from this amp is again breath taking. I was in my room and had the master vol at half, I tapped the strings and the floor was shaking, its that good! The different sounds from this amp is brilliant, with all the channels and all the FX you can get around 20 different sounds. The distrotion is brutal because of the insane channel, it takes distortion to a new level its that good! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this amp very long and I havent used it in gigs. But I wouldn't take a back up. If it can last 8 hours with out bein switched off for me I don't think there is no need. // 10

Overall Impression: For the music I play this is perfect amp. Truly amazing. I have been playing for 4 years now and I own several things, but this is the best for the money. If this was stolen I would hunt down and kill the person that did it, then buy another. I love the tones you get on this amp they are great! I just wish it came with a foot switch. // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on february 22, 2005

Purchased from: Soundpad (Independent Local Retailer)

Features: The Spider II range is brand new, and so consequently you'd expect nothing but the best in both special effects and overall performance. It's an amp very much designed to be played loud, with as much distortion as possible (to give you an idea, both Ben Moody and Mick Thomson state their love for the amp on the Line 6 website). There are 4 channels, each with preset sounds which can be customised. The clean setting is not the best I've ever heard by any means, but still manages to do the job without any real trouble. The crunch setting is very impressive indeed, giving you the perfect sound of a '68 Marshall, and bridging the gap very nice between clean and distorted. The metal setting offers some distortion, and provides excellent tone for songs like Metallica's "Enter Sandman". However, the insane setting is where the Spider II really raises the bar. The amp is great for anyone who likes to play anything from Avenged Sevenfold to The Offspring, although by defintion this would render it seemingly useless to an Oasis fan. The built in features are commendable, if it a little awkward. For example, the tremolo effect that breaks in Green Day's "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" is easily replicable, but the transition between effects would be an impossible task on stage or without the help of a fast-fingered friend. That said, the problem could be solved by using an effects pedal (of course, this menaing you'd be using the effects on the pedal rather than the amp). Overall, a very good range of features with relation to what I personally enjoy playing on it, but one with a very specific target audience. If you want distortion, this is the amp for you. // 8

Sound: The sound ranges from good to briliant. Whilst I find the clean tones to be lacking, it more than makes up for this in the distortion department, which would, I suspect, be the main reason for someone to choose this particular piece of equipment. The guitar I use with this amp is a lowly Squier Strat, and whilst some may see that as an unworthy measuring tool, there is a noticeable difference between this and my old amp, which was bundled in with the guitar when I first started playing. The sound is a lot fuller, and there is much variety in the sounds you can produce. Almost everything can be customised and perfected, and that makes this the perfect amp for sitting at home and playing aroung with, or maybe for those who play or jam in small bands. And to cover the final bullet point listed on this form, the distortion is more brutal than a truckload of hungry dinosaurs. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Having only had the amp for a matter of months, it's difficult to comment on reliability and durability. However, all I can do is comment that I have had no problems with it whatsoever, and I would happily use it at a small gig. // 8

Overall Impression: The amp is perfect for those who enjoy most types of music. Those who enjoy softer, more controlled music may want to look elsewhere, but for the rest of us, this is an absolute beast. I would definitely buy it again if I were to suffer the misofrtune of having it stolen. No question about it. For me, this is the perfect amp. I love everything about the sound quality, look, special effects and various channels. The only problem for me is the lack of quality on the clean setting, but this is only a minor gripe, as I have an acoustic guitar should I wish to play anything quieter. But for the most part, you can get great things from this. Great things indeed. // 8

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 13, 2005

Features: Quality features very new amp, there are a good choice of styles here not much to miss out on and if you do then just buy a pedal, you can buy footswitch to change personalised settings on this thing too, the power here is shear quality. // 8

Sound: The styles are the great thing about this beast the distortion is brutal, the style switching is easy enough if you know what your doing and there are plenty of speicalised FX's like the phaser or tape echo, the clean channel can be a little rickity on high volume but do not let this persuade you not to buy it. it's still quality, see people looking for a dirty and distorted sound this is perfect for you if say your playing Slither with the Metal setting you can create the sound pretty decently. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The amp has never had a problem and I would not use a backup there's no need its all there and reliable. // 8

Overall Impression: Great styles great match for me and my distortion (you can sound like Steve Vai on this thing if your good enough). I own a Gibson SG Classic and a Gibson Les Paul and it sounds brilliant on both but even cheaper end guitars like my Ibanez is quality on the Spider. If it was stolen I'd buy another (unless I find the cullprit and impale him with my Gibson SG) other products to see are the Flextone Line 6 amps and the other Spiders, 112, etc. // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: spitfirerider08, on july 22, 2005

Purchased from: Guitar And Banjo Shop

Features: This amp is a new model from Line 6 so it isent to old. I play everythying from heavy metal to country to blues and it does really good. The amp has for channels clean, crunch, metal and insane. The clean channel is very good it has more of a low bassy sound to it but its warming. Crunch has more of a british rock blue thing goin for it. Metal gives you the sound to play punk type stuff and heaver. Insane is just what the name says it packs so much gain you can barely stand it. It's great for tapping or shredding you can also play stuff like Slipknot on it. // 10

Sound: The sound on this amp is amazing. Sounds a little digital but it's all good. I use a Squier (I know not the greatest) and it still sounds great. I have also played a ESP 100QM though it and it also sounds good. You get feed back if you turn it up really loud and your setting right by it but all amps do that. It go's just quite enough for you to play alone. The distortion in this amp is amazing but some people like to use there own pedal drpending on music style. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is a pretty sturdie and just like any other if I played at a gig I would probley use it but I don't play at gigs (yet) so I don't need it there. // 8

Overall Impression: I was very impressed with this amp. People said it sound so digital that it ruins the whole thing but they are wrong. The amps is amazing. I recomend it to any beginner or pro. // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 16, 2005

Purchased from: Long And McQuade

Features: The amp is new this year and is on of Line 6's new line up of amps. This amp is very good for all kinds of music. It has 4 channels from left to right clean, crunch, metal and insaine. The amp comes with factory presets that you can over write but at any time can go back too them. I have had this amp for a good 5 months and is hasn't had any problems what so ever. I use it's built in noise gate so I ge no feed back in any way. But with the noise gate off you can get some really nice feed back especialy on the insaine channel. The amp doesnt have the best distorion inless it has the distortion boost turned on so it really needs a distortion pedal paired with it. A Metal Zone by Boss is a good pedal to pair with the amp. You can get a very nice early Metallica sound out of it then. // 10

Sound: I use a BC Rich Warlock with its stock pickups but I have ran a few different guitars through the amp and they have all sounded very nice. The amp really suits my style of playing I can get the ideal sounds out of it and it works very good in lead or rhythm. I can't say the amp is ever noisy even turned to the max. The clean channel is very nice it doesnt distort at high volumes and with a little bit of effects it can get a very suductive sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have never had the amp break down and it has fallen over and everything it's very sturdy and I would rely on it every time. // 10

Overall Impression: The only thing that pisses me off about this amp is it didn't come with the pedal controler for it. Personaly I feel it should come with the controler because it is really stupid to have to diddle with the buttons on the amp. I love every thing about this amp if it was a woman I would probably marry it. // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2005

Features: I play mostly rock and a bit of funk, reggae and alternative. This amp has 4 channels and they are all beasts! Especially the insane channel. It has a headphone jack and an audio input for CD/MP3 players, which is really good, specially when practicing at home. Compared to my first amp, this is much better, my mom gets angry whenever I play at home even if I turn it on its minimum. I even blow off our drummer, when I use it during band practice. // 10

Sound: I use a cheap imitation Les Paul. But with the Spider II, I feel more confident playing live. Yes, maybe the Spider II does not deserve a guitar like mine, but I'll get a new guitar soon. The EQ on this amp is very versitile. It makes the amp adaptable to any kind of style. It has a little hissing the first time I played loud, but when I turned on the noise reduction, it sounded cleaner. The distiortion is, like I said, beast! Especially the insane channel. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's totally dependable, I wouldn'd need a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Dream Theater, other rock, some alternative and reggae music and this amp complements with my playing. I've been playing for 6 years now, and I have never used a better amp than this. I chose this amp among others because it suits my style, and I do not need much of a really loud amp. this amp is just right for me. And I have no doubts when I bought it. // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 22, 2005

Purchased from: Music Scene

Features: Made 2003-4 I think, brilliant amp for the money. Hold its own against drums and other guitars/bass at gigs. Really cranks. 4 pre-set channels (clean, crunch, metal, insane), but you can do your own thing with em. 7 effects, can use 2 at once, which is handy. Has 3 different echo/reverb settings and 4 effects. The revers are sweep echo, tape echo, and the standard reverb. You can control the levels of these effects also. The channels have the ability to save your settings, which is cool if you mess around with the knobs a lot. If you have a setting and then mess with it, and dont like it, all you have to do is press the channel button and it resets to the setting you had before you messed with it. Has a disotortion boost and noise gate, which are kind of like "secret," not many people know about them. Handy to have, just in case. Footswitchable channels with an FBV pedal. // 10

Sound: I use a Dean Baby Z with Twin Humbuckers, and it really rocks. I can get everything out of this amp. Punk, metal, old school punk, blues, rock n' roll, you name it. Brutal distortion on the insane channel, even beefier with the distortion boost. I use insane to get a sound similar to the Offsprings, and the metal channel should be renames Metallica channel, because it works for most of their songs. Variety of sounds, but quite limited. Be imaginative. No distortion on clean setting, even when fully cranked. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I could drop this little bad boy off of a cliff and it still would refuse to break. Never broken down, had it since March 2005. Would definately use it at a gig without backup. I know I wouldn't need a backup. watch out for the handle though, the metal parts that hold the strap in place tend to come loose after carting it around by the handle for a while. Easily screwed tight again though. // 10

Overall Impression: It matches my style because I play more or less everything, and it delivers every time. If it was stolen, I would get another one, but possibly a bigger, louder one. More of a practice amp than the bigger Spiders. Does the job for practice and small gigs up to 80-100 people, would definately need miking otherwise, if the people didnt keep quiet. Brilliant amp, all credit to Line 6 for making this brutal little machine. // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2005

Purchased from: Sigler Music

Features: My amp is a 2004 model. I bought it in February 05', I bought my first guitar at the same time! So I am a beginner, this amp made it sound as if I knew what I was doing. It has four channels, clean, crunch, metal, insane. 7 effects including chorus/flange, phaser, tremblo, sweep echo, tape echo, & reverb. You can use 2 effects at once! It has several hidden features including a noise gate, and a distortion boost. In the past 9 months I have learned alot about playing guitar and this amp has powered thru all of it! Its loud enough to hurt my ears, and that's saying alot. I have finally bought the FBV Express FootPedal, but haven't tried it out yet. // 10

Sound: I have a Squier by Fender (it's modeled after the Gibson SG) with Twin duncan pickups. The clean channel is just that! Its so clean every mistake is heard! It's good for some people, but not me. The metal and insane channels I use the most. I play mostly heavy rock to alternative type music. I now have a 4-track recorder, so I have layed down a rhythem in the metal setting, then layed down a lead with the insane setting with some tape echo effects and it sounds awesome. It does lack some in the distortion department, but its okay for me (for now anyways). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Turn the switch on and its ready for full blast rockin'. No noise or humming like some amps. It really doesnt have enough Wattage for gig situtions, maybe a small party or bar, but nothing too big. I've never had any problems, it has always working without a glitch. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the perfect beginner amp for anyone, with room to grow for intermidiate and expert players. If I lost this amp or if it were stolen, I would definitly buy another Line 6 amp, but one with more power. For the money its the best buy around! // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 27, 2005

Purchased from: lugardamusica.com

Features: I don't know how old the amp is but it looks pretty new to me. This amp is incredible! it has just a enormous window of possibility in terms of what music your trying to recreate, if you are new or not to music, if you just want to impress (yes people it looks damn good). I bought this amp in portugal and its a 75 watter, not 30. So I'm basing it on that. Sould be around the same thing. // 9

Sound: Here is where you see the actual miracle. I have a Ibanez GRX40 from that starters pack and I'm kind of ashamed by it beause now I'm pretty decente at the guitar but, man, once I plug my guitar to this amp and crack it up all the shame vanishes. I play a wide variaty of music since Green Day, to Metallica and this amp fits all those styles. When I play, say, Master Of Puppets it sounds as if I really was ol' Kirk. The sound is just awesome. And this amp is really powerful. It can blow off many amp with the same (allegedly) power. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would, without a doubt, use this baby with no backup for some reasons: how rich can I get and afford another amp and unless you play hard and just tottaly mistreat your material, this one will not dissapoint! // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, and since I mentioned every thing before, I must say this amp is for any type of music be I blues, rock, old rock, progressive, metal, death, just whatever. It's for you. // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: Abnormal_Omish, on january 02, 2006

Features: Quite a versatile amp to play on. It has four channels: clean, crunch, metal, insane, each with their own memory banks. The crunch channel gives you a creamy Marshall type distortion. The insane lets you play Pantera and all that other metal which requires extreme distortion that you could normally only get from a stack. Tonnes of effects, a line out and an mp3/CD input. Could do with more controls for the effects but it's pretty impressive that they fitted in 7 effect loops into a 30w combo. It's a great amp for at home practise or playing at small venues since its pretty loud for its wattage. // 8

Sound: I use single coil and humbucker equiped guitars on this amp. The sounds you can get from the amp are pretty nice, but the clean channel can seem lifeless, as others have mentioned. It has a built in noise gate which is very useful if your using something like a strat on the insane channel which gives you some of the thickest distortion available. The effects are OK but nowhere near the quality or variety of a digitech or boss pedal, obviously. Tries pluggin an electroacoustic into it once. Sounded pretty shit but then again it ain't an acoustic amp now is it? // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is up to gigging as I have used it live and it done a great job. You might want to buy an FBV pedal for it if you are wishing to do so though because a footswitch is not supplied. I've had no problems with mine so far, and I've had it around 6 months. // 9

Overall Impression: I play different styles of music and this amp can handle most of the stuff perfectly, although it is ideally a metal head's amp. If you want a clean amp you might aswel buy a Flexitone or something else because this amps clean channel doesn't shine, but the distortion is orgasmic on the crunch and insane channel. I recommend buying the footswitch/expression pedal for this amp. If it was lost I would probably buy a Vendetta instead, they are just brilliant. // 8

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: robertreilly666, on january 03, 2006

Purchased from: Mattchetts Music

Features: Made in 2005. I play everything from rock ballads to metal and this amp really can be tweaked util it suits any style. It has 4 channels clean, crunch, metal and insane, these are all reprogrammable with your own custom tones, it has 2 smart effects controls and 6 effects in total, reverb, tape echo and sweep echo on one dial and chorus/flanger, tremelo and phaser on the other. It has an ethernet cable operated foot contol jack, a combined headphone in jack and record out jack! you can record directly from this amp and a mp3 or cd input. This amp is loud, easly big enough for a smallish gig. It also has a tempo control for the echos and phaser and trem also a built in noisegate. // 10

Sound: I'm using my Cort X2 Custom with it and an armoured Venom cable. It suits all music styles as far as I can see but the clean could use a little more depth, but thats easly re-set as I've already done. With its built in noisegate there are no unwanted noises. Which I found hard to beleve theres a bit of a buzz when its up past 120db or so! The dirt is amazing but still clean and the insane mode is unbelevable its so loud and warped, like someone sawing a monkey in half! But still clean. Keeps the sounds shape. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think it's very dependable but it has a plastic fascia and no kick proof screen over the cone I wouldn't need another amp, it won't break down. // 10

Overall Impression: If it where stolen or lost I would add fifty quid to the price and get its bigger bro. Or this amp if I couldn't get the money for the bigger one. I think ill be using Line 6 for a long time. I love the clean mode just 'cause it is so sparkly clean, no noise! I compared it to its smaller bro and to a selection of Marshall and Laney amps, I bought this one because it has a 12" Celestion Custom speaker and a lot of functions and features for an amp under 200 pounds. I only wish it had a rack tuner like some of the larger models in this range. // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: thetoastinator, on january 09, 2006

Purchased from: Sam Goody

Features: This amp is fairly new. This amp is a solid state 30 watt. It is pretty versatile, because of all the different types of channels and built in effects. It has four presets that you can customize, and 8 effects. You can use 2 of these effects at a time. The distortion is okay for the price, but it can sound a little digital at times. Also, I tried using my DigiTech RP50 with it, and it didnt sound that great, so I'm sticking with the amps effects. I am mainly using this as a practice amp in my room right now, and I don't have to turn it up past 25% of its power. It is acctually suprisingly loud for 30 watts. // 8

Sound: I am using either a Fender Stratocaster with Bill Lawrence pickups, or a Schecter Gryphon with Duncan Designed Humbuckers with this amp. I went on the website, and they had a lot of tones that you can use to sound like different artists. I can use this amp for anywhere from classic rock to metal, and those are my two styles of playing, so its pretty good for me. The clean channel isnt too great though. It still has a little bit of gain on it, but its not too bad unless you have the amp up really loud. Although it is a little digital, I like the distortion on it. I mainly use the insane channel with the tone for Crazy Train by Ozzy (got the tone off the website). // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've carried this thing from room to room, in my car, and I would probably gig with it. So far, the amp has held up well for me, but I have only had it for a few weeks. I expect it to not be the greatest in durability, but so far, with me hitting it against walls, banging it onto tables, bumps on the road, it has held up without a single dent. // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play classic rock, and metal, and I like this amp for both. I've been playing for about a year and a half now, and my only other amp is a Wurlitzer amp. I have never seen another wurlitzer amp, and it is very old, so this sounds a little better than that one does. I got this as a gift for Christmas, but I played it in stores before I got it, and I liked it and thought that it was good for the price. If it was stolen or lost, I would probably save up $200 more and get a Kustom 100 watt amp. Overall, it is a pretty good amp with decent sound, and is made pretty well. // 8

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 09, 2006

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: It was made in 2005, so the guy in the shop tells me lol. It comes with 4 amp models clean, crunch, metal and insane. It's also got 6 Smart Control FX (2 you can play at the same time) including phaser, chorus/flanger, tremolo, sweep echo, tape echo, and reverb. It's like having a mini pedal on an amp so thts useful. You can also make your own channels by setting them to a setting you like and holding down one of the clean, crunch, metal or insane buttons. It's also got a tap tempo to go with the echo. It's got an CD/mp3 input jack socket which rocks, you can play along with your fave band. A headphone/direct out, which is good to put sum headphones in when u don't want to piss your mum's off and for home recording. It's also a 12" speaker which is a monster, however I've only compared it to a Marshall 30 watt. You also have the choice of using a footswitch which I havent tried. This things packed with features and is one of the reasons I picked it, they all sound amazing too and you can get so many sounds out of this thing. I use it in my house and its great for that and I've also jammed with some friends and its dealt with it brilliantly for a 30 watt amp. in my opinion it could easily handle small gigs or medium gigs without doubt. // 10

Sound: I'm playing it through a Fender Telecaster and a Yamaha Electro acoustic and also a Korg AX1500G ToneWorks effect modelller, I have to say it sounds bloody amazing, it can get a meaty crunch out of my telecaster for when I play heavy metal but also a shimmering clean sound for Blink 182 - Whats My Age Again? which you can download the exact setting off the official line6 site. I playt almost everything and have a wide range of taste in music but mainly I play pop rock (embarrassing I no) punk, rock, classic rock, indie, heavy metal and blues from time to time and this amp is great for everything. The variety of sound this amp can give you is amazing the 6 effects can be matched to ur every need. There is one small problem which is pretty minor, the amp seems to forget itself even thought the echo switches are off you still get an echo when you click on the clean amp model and also when you go on the crunch amp model, when you've turned the drive setting rite up it isn't. However all of this is dealt with my jus a simple flick of the toggle and its back too whats its meant too do, just get slightly irritating, but amazing non the less. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This baby is a monster! It's built like a brick shit house. I've only had it for 2 weeks or so but I've had no problem. I would definately use it without a back up maybe for large gigs mic it up, but for now its amazing and is definately for someone who wants an amp with everything on it, very versatile and will b loud enough to play with your band. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly Blink 182, Greenday, Fightstar, Bullet For My Valentine, Bloc Party, Arctic Monkeys, Muse etc. And this amp meets my every need for this sorta thing and will probably suit anything else you throw at (I even learned 'wannabe' by the spice girls for sum frends to sing along too) it and will perform excellently. I've bin playing for about 2-3 years. I was goin to buy a Marshall 30 watt amp or a Fender but I choose this because of the versatility I cud out of it and not the other two. The guy in the shop actually recommended me this because I had my heart set on the Marshall but I changed my mind and I'm glad of it! Mick Thomson and Ben Moody have also showed ther love for the amp on the Line 6 amp (they have some talent to say the least) so if any one was stuck for a new amp with ther amp but still wanted a practice amp which could do more I recommend this trust me for the price its amazing! // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 10, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar Works

Features: The amp was made in 2005 according to the box and has 4 presets clean crunch metal and insane. It came with footswitch to change channels. I currently play in a metal/punk band and we practice in a small garage our drummmer is extremely loud however the amp is never used over volume 5 so on 10 ten the sound would be a beast. Although I don't use clean much it's quite digital. It also has wide choice of effects including tremelo, chorus, phaser, reverb and echo. // 10

Sound: I am currently using an Epiphone Les Paul Special and a Jackson KE3 with Seymour Duncan pickups. The amp itself is amazing without normal effects pedals I mainly use metal setting however crunch is great for punk and normal rock. The never buzzes with good condition guitars but my friends old guitar had a pick up hanging off and it kept squeaking. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would use this without a back up as I have already it we tore the place down we had a pit and everything. It has never broken down despite frequent journees in a van. I have even used outside and there was no problems. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is the best alround best amp for the money. I have tried many guitars through this amp it never lets you down and makes the best sound for distortion and effect quality for under 200 squid. I have been playing for bout seven years this was my third amp and compared to pre India Marshalls this amp wins hands down. If it were stolen I would hunt the f--ker down and then stab them with my Jackson the only bad point is the clean sound. I would heavily recommend an acoustic simulator if it is play a major part in your music. Currently use the Berhinger acoustic pedal for 14.99, it's very high quality. // 9

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: Bass90, on april 12, 2006

Features: My Line 6 Spider II 30 is a 2006 made amp and insane! It's extremly versatile and you can get alot of diffrent tones out of it. It has 4 different channels which are "clean," "crunch," "metal" and "insane," each with increasing distorion as each channel is selected. It's got a head phone jack, an mp3/CD input to jam with your favorite songs and and input for peddles. It comes with 6 diffrent effects which are chorus/flanger, phaser effect, tremelo on one knob and on the other sweep echo, tape echo, and reverb. It's also got a noise gate, distorion boost and a tape delay for the echo effects! This amp has has it all and is extremly powerfull and loud so you can use it for a pretty big gig. // 10

Sound: I run this on a Schecter S1 and Schecter XXX equiped with Emgs and Seymour Duncan pickups and it sounds awesome. I play alot of metal and puck rock however I use the Clean channel at times which is the downside of this amp. The clean channel just sounds like crap. It sounds like tremelo effect with reverb when selected and thats when I don't have any of those effects selected! My alternative is selecting the Crunch channel and turning down the gain which gives a pretty thick full sound. The distortion is just brutal! It gives you more than enough gain and if you want more it's got a Distortion Boost as well for more dirt. If you got really good pickups in your guitar, you got yourself a demon with this amp! Theres also a noise gate which pretty good so don't hold back on cranking up the distorion booster on the insane channel, it's just brutal as hell. My only grudge is the clean channel but otherwise your read to rock on this thing! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is big, real big! It's extremly hard and I've dropped it a couple of times unloading it and it was like a rock. The falls never effected the sound what so ever. I've used this thing for gigs without backups and has not failed me yet. Extremely durable and reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 2 years now and this is one of the best amps I have ever used. I play anything from punk to metal and this thing does it all. Like I said before, this amp has a bad clean channel so don't buy it if thats what you want. It's more of a distorion based amp and it does it good. If it were stolen, well good luck on trying to steal it, its pretty freaking heavy but I'd hunt the guy down or just buy another one. It's a really good buy and I recommend it for anyone into Punk all the way to Metal. I love its distorion booster and noise gate and i hate the clean channel. Overall this amp has got what you want metal playetrs. // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: Teddy_ESP, on may 08, 2006

Features: I would reccomend this amp for anyone who's just begining or someone Who's just starting with the smaller gigs. On the first notch its loud enough to practice on and halfway its much louder. The amp is good for metal and heavy metal, it has 4 channels, clean, crunch, metal, and insane, metal being a Metallica metal someone around the black album, and the insane being for heavy metal like Children Of Bodom perhaps. Theres a special plug in for Line 6 pedals that Switch through the channels and you can preset the channels how you want it so you dont have to turn up the tape echo knob if theres a song that goes from clean to alot of distortion and echo right away. The effects are chorus flange, phaser, tremolo, sweep echo, tape echo, and reverb. There's a headphone jack on it so you can play in your room and not disturb the family or annoy them. There's also a plug in where you can plug your mp3 player or CD player in so you can play along with the songs you know and work on timing and stuff. So far I've just used this amp in my room and around the house but I'm sure it would serve you well in the smaller gigs. This amp has enough power for the pro's that dont need a bunch of fullstacks or halfstacks to practice. // 10

Sound: Currently I'm using an Epiphone SG Special with humbuckers, because my ESP F-50 is getting fixed, dont get me wrong. ESP's own but theres a wire that got loose and a friend let me borrow his. It suits my style because I started out with single coil and its harder to do harmonics on them but when you Switch from single coil to humbuckers you notice a difference, and if you got EMG's you'd be able to do them alot easier. The amps really good at not groaning like alot of other amps do at high gain and volume. The amp makes alot of sounds, there's a low, high, and mid, knob for fine tuning it just the way you want it. It also has channel volume and a master volume. Then the two effect knobs with 3 effects on each and you can have 2 going simultaneously. The distortion is great nothing is muffled together and its a great amp all around. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is the most dependable amp I've owned. I'd trust it on a gig without a backup. the amp has never broke down, my friend has the same and has had it for a little while and nothings happened to it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alot of metal and heavy metal, and the insane channel is perfect for that. I've been playing for a couple of months, because I quit over the summer, just wasn't interested now I'm more than interested and I'm always playing when I can. I own a little Kustom 10 Watt and a ESP LTD F-50. If this amp got stolen I'd hunt the person down and beat them with a stick, I love this amp to death and I did alot of research on the company and others before I bought it and it seemed to be the best 30 watt I could find. I have 2 favorite features on it, the effects and the ability to play along with songs because you can plug your mp3 player into it. // 9

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: LightofDeath, on july 21, 2006

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

Features: I don't know the year this was made in. I like this amp verys much and it works the music I play which are heavy metal. It has four channels: clean, crunch, metal, and insane which you can switch while playing with fingers. it has a headphone jack for private listening and to not disturb other people around you. I wish the amp had somthing you can Switch the channels with with something other than ur fingers because u may have to take a pause to switch the channels from clean to Insane. I hardly ever use the phaser and chorus. I use this amp in my band in my friends basement, you can hear it better in wide open areas like outdoors or a bigger room than in tight spaces like the kind I'm in. I'll look forward to getting the HD75 head with cab. Extras include a record out output for recording. // 9

Sound: I'm using it with the Behringer guitar from the V-tone pack, and I don't know the pickup style. it goes really well with the heavy metal that I play. It's not really noisy, only if you have the volume real high with the guitar plugged in it near it, usually on the insane and metal channels. The amp can sound as heavy as metal, but as soft as some classic rock bands. The clean channel is pretty good no matter how high the volume is. The distortion is my favorite thing on the amp. It really fits my style, and my band likes how it sound with our music, it's insane. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would most likely depend on it, and I might use it at a gig, but not sure yet because of the size. But I could use it for a gig w/o a backup. No, this amp hasn't broken down, yet at least I hope not. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I mentioned before, I play heavy metal, and this matches it good, especially the distortion. My frind got me into the Spider series. Playing for 3 years, I own a Behringer guitar with a cable and strap, and thats pretty much all I use. Well I got the feel of this amp from my firend so there wouldn't have been any questions to ask, just the reliability. If I lost this or got it stolen, I would probably get something else but still of the Spider II family, I would just get a bigger model. I love the Insane distortion. The only thing I dont like about it is that if you have the volume up really high on the insane channel it increases the bass, and makes it sound like the amps going to blow. Well I compare it to all the other spiders out there. I chose this one because it was affordable and gave me the sound I like. I wish I had the Spider II HD 75 with cab. // 9

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 18, 2006

Features: This amp was made in 2005. It realy suits my style of music which is mostly rock and metal. It has 4 channels: clean, crunch, metal, insane! These four amp models are brilliant as the clean channel offers clean, crisp warm tones. The crunch is a real sort of grunge sound. Then the metal channel is what you cna guess metal! And insane is just amazing! So much distortion in one channel. I mainly use the amp at home practicing and also use it to rehearse with my band. It's a very powerful amp and it also include a mp3/CD input, footswitch input, dirstortion boost, and 6 effects (chorus/flange, phaser, tremolo, sweep echo, tape echo and reverb), sweep and tape echo come with a a tap delay button. It would be very helpful if there was a built in tuner, but other than that the feature are good. // 9

Sound: I'm currently using a Fender Squier Strat with 3 single coil pickups. Even though this guitar is not that good, this amp can make any guitar sound awesome. The amp is so versatile anyone could use it. The amp is not noisy at all as it has a built in noise gate to cut down on the fuzz and hiss. The clean channel is very clear and crisp and the distrotion is of very good quality. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can't say how durable this amp is yet as it's only a month old, but so far it's had no problems. I would definetly use this at a gig without a backup. It's so powerful yet quite small, it does me just fine for a 30 watt combo I highly recomend it! // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal, rock and a small bit of Indie. And for that this amp is great as it's so versatile. I have been playin for a year and a half, and it's a brilliant amp that can be introduced to guitarist at this point becasue it has more amp models and effect that a normal 30 watt guitar. I do not own any other gear as this amp can nail almost any sound you throw at it. I love the quality of the amps power and sounds, but hate the fact that the delay comes on with the clean channel. If this was stolen I would proberly buy the 75 watt version only because it's around 50 more expensive but with 12 amp models instead of 4. I chose this one because it's so versatile. If someone was going to purchase this I woudl recomend a Line 6 FBV2 footswitch alongside it as this would make playing easier. // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: MrBucket, on march 08, 2007

Features: This amp is loud enough for what I wanna do for right now (just jammin) and it also has a pretty sweet metal amp model which if you tune in ur settings right you can get a pretty deep crunchy Metallica or pantera sound. The clean isnt as warm as I wanted but if you just put the delay on for about.5 of a second and turn down ur tone some, it sounds pretty sweet. It also has a hidden noisegate feature which helps out a lot but I think somethin happened with the input on it because there's still some feedback that wasn't there before. It has some sweet features like like chorus flanger, phaser and tremelo but I rarely use them, I usually just stick with a reverb or a delay. Also if you want to get some more squeel outta of ur guitar, there's another hidden distortion boost which sounds great for Kyuss songs when you put it on the "Insane" model. // 9

Sound: I use a B.C. Rich Warlock and an Epiphone Les Paul Studio. When our band jams down in the basement. This thing always has to be turned down a bit so I'm not the only one blasting through. It doesnt't really get distorted or the sound quality comprimised when it's turned up to max, just exactly as you want, just plain louder, even the clean. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I could prob depend on it, but since I think something is screwed up either with the noisegate or the input, I dunno if I'd go to a gig with ONLY this amp but you should probably be fine. I dunno I just have to type more I guess because it wont let me submit this review unless I "write reliability & durability" which I already did so I'm just saying things. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp overall is the best deal on an amp I've seen, guitar center wanted 180 for it when they were switchin to spider 3's and nobody else had it in stock at the time and I got the last one from Piano's N' Stuff which sooooo much better to shop n' browse in than freakin Guitar Center with there employees hangin over you like a bum at a street corner. I would defitnely buy more Line 6 products for metal and hard rock pursposes but if I want a true bluesy sound I'd go with someone else. // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: drinkingbeers, on june 01, 2007

Purchased from: Used

Features: Made in China, not sure of the year. The amp has way to many features for it's own good. 4 channels, B-M-T tone controls, Drive, Vol, and Master. It has 6 digital effects on two knobs that are ridiculously difficult to control. There is a tap button for the delay effects: this helps a making adjustments a little easier. It has headphone jack and even a line-in jack which is very cool. It can make a very wide range of sounds, but don't expect an ounce of tone out of this thing. I never knew what 'flat' was until I heard the tone from this. I use it exclusively with headphones in the living room, while the kids are asleep. The only reason I keep this is because of the line-in jack and the variety of sound. You could play any type of music through this, but why would you want to. // 7

Sound: I bought this amp because of all the great reviews it got. My other amp, however has mediocre reviews - a Marshall Valvestate VS265. The valvestate blows this thing out of the water as far as sound goes. I would be embarrassed to play this Live. The sound is tinny and contrived. Highly digital distortion and effects make the sound very flat and hollow. I use it mainly with my RG-220 and SG-Supreme. The RG has the stock (Ibanez) HB's and the SG has Gibson's '61 Classic HBs. I do have a Squire Tele that I also play on it. Like I said, it can make just about any sound, it just can't make it good. // 1

Reliability & Durability: It seems like a dependable, durable amp, I bought it used, and it still looks great, btw it is a great looking amp. I will continue to trust this amp to be my practice amp, but it will never leave the house. This is not a gig-worthy amp, so it is pretty light. I would have to imagine that if thrown into the back of a truck on a regular basis, it would not last long. // 5

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock, all kinds of it. If this thing were stolen, I would make do with my DigiTech RP-250 as a practice "amp", or maybe buy something else. I really do like the versatility of it and will continue to use it, but only because I got it so cheap. If I had paid more than 60 bucks, I'd been disappointed. // 2

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: Shredmaster42, on june 25, 2007

Features: Oh where do I begin! Absolute gorgeous amp. It's got 4 programable channels clean(crisp flawless clean tone), crunch (Marshall Plexi-style of sound), metal (high-gain distortion), and my favourite, insane (crazy amount of distortion). 7 digital effects with Line 6 smart FX control (like the POD). Built in noise gate and distortion boost. AUX in for an mp3 player. And to top it off a 12" Celestion speaker. // 10

Sound: Playing my Jackson 7 string with EMG pickups, the amp is silent, even on the insane channel. Using my Fender Big block strat and my PRS Tremonti, I can get brilliant clean and jazz sounds with some effects goin on. The crunch channel provides tones reminicent to AC/DC and even some Rage Against the Machine. The metal channel allows me to unleash the fury for some authentic power metal and hardcore punk tones. The insane channel gives me crazy Slipknot and my favourite Lamb Of God sounds. The 4 channels can be customized to your liking and saved. The clean channel is thunderous and NEVER distorts! The only bad thing is that the amp kinda makes every guitar sound the same decause of the amp modeling, but that's good if you got a crap guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't think I'd use it on a gig because it is kinda small, but you can always mic it up, which is what I've been doing. It's built pretty good, but I never worry how tough an amp is because I don't beat up my stuff. It's a solid-state amp, so no replacing the tubes every 2 years! // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great amp for anyone because it can cover any style of music out there and it makes your guitar sound amazing. I totally recommend it to anyone, but if you want to do a gig with it, get the bigger version! It blows away anything of the same size! If someone stole it, I'd cry, then go knock 'em and steal their amp! Best 230 bucks I've ever spent! // 10

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: E_squared, on august 23, 2007

Features: For 75 dollars, I was very lucky to get this amp. The seller had to pay 200 to get it new! Because I bought it at a garage sale, I'm not sure what year it was made, but I'm thinking fairly recently, like maybe 2003 or 2004. When I bought the amp, I din't realize how many awesome features it came with. There are four channels, each one programmed with a preset sound. They are called clean, crunch, metal, and insane. Each has a different sound and level of distortedness. It is possible to adjust the preset channel sounds using the Drive, bass, mid, and treble control knobs and then save the settings in that channel, so that when you turn the Spider II on, your custom channel sounds are ready at the touch of a button! This amp also comes with two separate distortion knobs. the first controls Chorus flange, phaser, and tremolo and the second has sweep echo, tape echo, and reverb. Since these knobs are separate, it is possible to play using two distortion effects at once. These effects can also be saved to the channel of your choice, so you can get the distortion you want without a lot of extra adjustment. With so many customizable channels and distortions, the Spider II has an amazing variety of sounds that work with many different styles of music. I play mostly hard rock, punk rock, and metal, and I find that the crunch and metal channels work well for almost all of them. But there is something for everyone in this amp, no matter what styles you play. The Spider II is relatively compact, and I use it in my bedroom. It provides more than enough power for the inside of my house, and it's great for practicing and rocking out. If you are looking at doing a Live show, however, you will probably want to go with something larger. All in all, it packs quite a punch. Some other features include a headphone jack, CD and MP3 port, and a jack for foot channel switches. // 10

Sound: I am currently playing my Spider II with a J Reynolds Strat copy, which has 3 single-coil pickups. The guitar itself has a nice variety of tones, and when you combine that with the channels and effects on the amp, the sound variety is incredible. It works great for most rock styles, which I enjoy playing. When cranked up, the Spider II offers rediculous amounts of distortion for an amp of its size, but it also offers good sounding clean tones on the clean channel. The effect knobs are cool because you get built-in distortion effects that you would normally need special pedals for on other types of amps. As far as static and noise go, the Spider II suffers slightly. It just happens that my favorite pickup combination on my guitar produces noticable buzzing through the amp, especially on the crunch and insane channels. By using two pickups at once, I can cancel out almost all of the noise, so I'm guessing the main problem is the guitar, not the amp. Nevertheless, the static does get irratating after a while. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far, I have not had any problems with my SpiderII. It works well and is very reliable. I do not take this amp very many places, since I am not in a band and I don't play at shows, but it seems to be sturdily built. If I was going to do a gig, I would feel safe using this amp by itself. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I think the Spider II 30 is an excellent all-purpose amp. It is the only amp that I own, but it is all that I need, because it just offers so much stuff! I have been playing guitar for almost 10 months now, and I don't plan on replacing this amp any time soon. I think my favorite thing about it is the powerful sounding channel presets, because they sound great with almost all of the music I play. When I bought the amp, I didn't have anything to compare it to and I didn't know what most of the features did, but $75 was just too good to pass up. I don't regret my purchase at all. If someone stole my Spider II, I would keep my eyes out for a new one, but I'd also look for a bargain on other amps, because $200 is a bit more than I would care to pay! // 9

Spider II 30 Reviewed by: Claymation99, on october 01, 2009

Features: I bought this right before the Spider III came out, so it's the latest that they made. The amp comes with four diverse channels (clean, crunch, metal, insane). It also has six built in effects (chorus/flanger, phaser, tremelo, sweep echo, tap echo, reverb). For the chorus/flanger and phaser, they are somewhat adjustable, so you can change speed and make it sound pretty cool. The tremelo is worthless, because you can't adjust the speed, just depth, and I find it to be too fast. The tap echo is what I use the most just to give the guitar a fuller sound, but reverb works pretty well too. For being a small digital amp, it has some pretty good power, and you can definitely get by at a show if you are miked up. // 8

Sound: I use this with an American Fender Stratocaster, and it actually works pretty well. The clean channel with some reverb sounds fantastic on the neck/middle pickup. The crunch channel is probably my favorite. It gets a great light blues sound to it, and that's what I play with about 80% of the time. The only complaint is that it gets pretty noisy with the Drive all the way up, and it gets too dirty and distorted. I've never really liked the metal setting. It's very thick and sort of nasty, and only sounds okay with big power chords. It doesn't sound very good hitting any single strings on solos or anything. Insane is a great channel as well. I think the insane on this Spider II sounds better than any Line 6 amp I've played. It gets a thin distortion without losing tone, and the harmonics sound so vibrant. As for power? For being as small as it is, it can wail pretty well. I haven't had to really "settle" when using it at shows, but it can get that, and it's a perfect bedroom/practice amp for the home. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is EXTREMELY durable. I've had it for four years and it hasn't had any problems whatsoever. I play in the band at my church as well as a few other musical projects, so this has been gigged quite a bit. It doesn't scratch easily, so the exterior is still very much intact. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great great great beginner amp. I've had it for for years and dabbled with a lot of different styles, and it has accommodated all of them. If you have a Line 6 FBV pedal you can change channels while playing which makes it an amp you can use at gigs. It's about time for me to graduate to a tube amp, but I have very much enjoyed playing this. I don't know if there's a more versatile and durable amp out there for the price of this. // 9

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review