Spider II HD75 Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 08/23/2006 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Line 6: Spider II HD75
This head features 12 unique amp models made from combining the sounds of some of the greatest amps in history and places them all in one mean package.
 8.5
 9.5
 7.4
review (1) pictures (1) 34 comments vote for this gear:
Spider II HD75 Reviewed by: slappykid, on august 23, 2006

Purchased from: Uptown Music

Features: This amp was made in 2005 and it suits me very well. It's a solid state 75w amp with 4 channels: clean, crunch, metal, and insane. Built in FX: reverb, tape delay (aka analog), chourus/flanger, sweep echo, phaser, and tremelo. It's one of the few amps out there that you wouldn't need any effects pedals with, because most of them are built in. I doesn't come with a footswitch, which did not please me, but for only 200 bucks, it's the best you can get. My only complaints would be the lack of a footswitch, and that you can only have 2 effects on at a time (both are easily fixed). // 9

Sound: I plug into this baby a custom built Fender Stratocaster though a DigiTech RPx400 (which is use to add more FX). If you are looking into getting a wide range of sounds, this amp is for you. It can play any song well, from Where The Streets Have No Name by U2, to Welcome Home by Coheed And Cambria, you can get a near identicle sound to almost any song. I play it though a Marshall 120w cab, and that makes it sound even better. This amp can easily keep up with my friend's 800w Ampeg, if that gives you an idea on how loud it can go. At high volumes, there is some feedback, but just from the pickups on my guitar. The clean channel stays clean even up to volume 11 (there actually is 11 volume dots). The distortion on this amp is sick, you can get a muddy tone on the metal setting, or you can reach unbelivable hights of distortion madness on "insane" and still retain your valuable tone. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would use this at a gig, hands down. It certainly is loud enough, and as hard as a rock. The only problem would be the channel buttons, which sometimes seem to "stick" but only if you press it from an angle, but that is easily fixed by a footswitch. I've had this amp for only a few months, but I have heard nothing but good about this amp. This stuff should last for years to come. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything I can get my grubby hands on, and I've been playing for nearly 2 years, but I didn't start getting serious until a year ago. The only thing I can compare this to is a Peavy 15w practice amp, which did not treat me well. I wish I had a footswitch for it, which costs about $99. If this was stolen, I'd start a riot and break into a music store and steal one. Or just save up $200 to buy it again. // 10

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review