Spider III 120 Review

8.7
 8.3
reviews (17) pictures (2) 122 comments vote for this gear:
Spider III 120 Reviewed by: harrythehobo123, on december 29, 2006

Features: This amp is new for 2006. It is a 120 watt solid state amp with two 10" speakers, and with 12 different amp models, reverb, and 6 built in effects, it is probably one of the most versatile amps out there. There's no effects loop, but there is a headphone jack, and also a direct out ethernet cable hook up, so the amp can be pluged into a Line 6 pedal to change effects, distortion, etc. This model is very similar to the Spider II 210, only that this amp has 250 artist-created presets, 150 song-based presets, and also 36 user programmable presets; including artists such as Slipknot and Lacuna Coil, and songs such as Enter Sandman, Crazy Train, Back In Black, Bark At The Moon, and Master of Puppets. I'm stepping up from a 15 watt Fender amp to this 120 watt amp. I'm in a metal band, and our other guitarist has a 100 watt Marshall half-stack, but it takes a while to get used to having to turn down! // 10

Sound: I'm using a Squire Strat and it does give an annoying hum when using just one pickup, but that's the guitar's fault. Using two pickups gets rid of the hissing sound though. The distortion on this beast is insane! And the clean setting is pure glass. I'm honestly scared to turn this amp up past about 6 with heavy distortion because I may cause permanent damage to my house! This amp also has a noise gate built in, so if you're gonna have it up loud for a gig, just flip that thing on and it'll kill the hiss from the distortion. Now let's talk distortion for a minute: this amp has 2 clean amp models, 2 for twang, 2 for blues, 2 for crunch, 2 for metal, and 2 for insane. Plus you can give it a distortion boost, so you can throw out those tasty lead licks or those marrow-melting rhythm riffs. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely use this at a gig without a backup. It's never broken down, however i haven't had it too long. A solid state amp doesn't have tubes or anything like that, so that shouldn't be a problem. This amp is not resistant to flame, water, shark attacks, fat chicks, or lava. Also, despite it's loudness, it cannot be heard in the vacuum of space and is not designed for space travel. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic rock and metal, and this amp is prefect for me! It will play most anything from Stairway to Heaven to Master of Puppets. As a matter of fact, some of the song presets go back to the 50's! If you play a wide variety of music, then this amp is all you! I've been playing for two years and I own a Zoom GFX-5 effects pedal. I prefer the distortion on the amp, however I still use the pedal for wah and also for some effects that the amp doesn't have built in. If it were stolen I would probably get it again, or if I had the money I would grab the 150watt half stack version, but only cause it's got four 12 inch speakers instead of the two tens. I searched the internet over before I found this amp, and I love it to death. I would say that for 400 bucks, you can't top this amp. it's amazing! // 9

Spider III 120 Reviewed by: christheman, on january 19, 2007

Purchased from: Vince's Music

Features: This amp is a fairly new model so I'm pretty sure it was made in 2006. It can produce a huge range of sound. The clean is beautiful, whereas the red Insane is full of gain and best for tapping solos. You can get pretty much whatever sound you want from just about any musical era with this bad boy. it's got a headphone jack, mp3/cd input, and a footswitch jack (however like all line6 amps they only work with Line 6 footswitches because of the kind of jack). the effects are pretty cool (especially the sweep echo) but my only real complaint is that if you want chorus, it's only comes with flange not separately so I'm kinda s.o.l. on that respect. I have the 150 not the 120 (the 150 wasn't on the drop-down menu) and it has 2-12" Celestions and they are plenty, plenty loud. I can't get it past about 5 without fear of knocking things over. Also, it has a built in noise gate and distortion boost (however, you're going to have to read the "Special Hidden Functions" section of the manual to understand how to turn them on). Oh, and the 400+ presets aren't bad either. // 10

Sound: I am currently using an Epi Les Paul Classic and a Fender 12-string Strat and both the single coils and the 'buckers sound great through it. I play a lot of metal and hard rock but with a little acoustic and I am well pleased with it. Not too much static with the aforementioned noise gate on so good on that. The clean is like crystal no matter what setting and the insane level with just about massacre you (in a good way) but does leave a little to be desired for Randy Rhoads things, early Metallica, and Slayer-type things. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this amp for that much time but so far it's taken some beatings (dropped it, spilled a little water on it) but it's held up just fine as to now. It seems fairly rugged to me, and it's not a tube amp so tubes aren't an issue. So far, I haven't had any problems with it yet! // 10

Overall Impression: No matter what you're into, the Spider III has the sound (and probably the preset) for you. However some of the presets for the classic songs are a little inaccurate, you can make your own on one of the 40 user presets. If it was stolen or lost I would definately buy another, even if I lost that one. Before buying this I had a Vox Valvetronix (one of the cheap ones, not a NeoDog) and where the Vox has better overall effects, it simply can't hold up to the sound quality and versatility of the Spider III. // 10

Spider III 120 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 03, 2008

Features: The Spider III 120 is a fairly new amp made in 06 or 07 I believe. This is one of the most versatile amps you could buy. I find myself playing a multitude of styles and am able to find the tone I need fairly easily. There are 12 different channels that cover the entire musical spectrum of tone. They are fairly easy to Switch on the amp if you can't afford a pedal, but I recommend one if you want to easily Switch to the best possible tones, as there are so many a few of them suck pretty badly. There are so many presets that I haven't even tried them yet, and for the most part they are all different. I would like it to have separate knobs for each effect, but for the most part using one effect on each knob is all you need. The built-in chromatic tuner is a lifesaver. At church, I find myself loud enough to keep up with a drummer, bass, and 2 other guitars, maybey louder. For a solid state, you can't get much better. This amp goes beyond the requirements of a good amp in the features department. // 10

Sound: I use this guitar with an Epiphone semi-hollowbody and an Ibanez RG5EX1. They both seem to work with the amp well. the Epi has a H/H configuration and the Ibanez is h-s-h. I play so many different types of music and this amp does it all. From the clean jazz, to the dirt n' grind metal to the screaming blues, I can get the tone iwant with the right settings and guitar. There is a lot of feedback however, with certain presets, not any distorted or clean ones in particular. If you are prepared before you gig, it's not a problem because you would probably want to use your own prests, which you can. The sound isn't perfect, but it's good enough if you are careful. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp isn't a problem. I've never had is crap out on me. I gig every week at church, practice three times a week with my band, and usually have another gig with that band. No problems yet. it's the only amp I do trust to take on the road. However, I am a bit suspicous of the little LCD and it not working but nothing has happened. // 8

Overall Impression: Since I need tones hat go from acoustic, to hardcore all the time, this amp can't be any better. I play it for at least 2-3 hours a day. I've only been playing 7 months, but I've had this for five and I'll tell you I can't get better. I've tried a lot of my friends equipment and haven't been as impressed with theirs. This amp beats the crap out of my past Epiphone, and Vox solid-states. If I lost this, I would probably wait for a spider IV and buy that. I guess power can sometimes be an issue, but if I ever get a halfstack, I probably would get a mesa or Marshall over the Line 6 ones. We all know modeling technology isn't perfect so don't think this is an amp jesus or anything. // 9

Spider III 120 Reviewed by: -Ravenous-, on august 25, 2009

Purchased from: Rockin' Rooster

Features: Right, first things first, I know a lot of people bum these amps, but I'm gonna be completely blunt about what I think, but don't worry, it's not all bad! So, this amp has been around for a while now, and yes it has some cool features, 4 channels that you can save your tones to, 12 amp models and a range of effects, but one thing annoys me with the effect, you can't control how much of it you have... All I want is a little bit of chorus on my clean tone, but as soon as I turn it on I'm flooded with chorus! But the delay's on the other hand can be quite nice, but still feature the same problem. // 5

Sound: I currently am playing my LTD M-200FM through this amp with EMG's, and yes, at bedroom volume it don't sound half bad, it gives me some nice cleans and a few cool distortion sounds, but the distortion does lack balls, especially once turned up, very unclear and muddy. It's a very quiet amp even at high gain due to the built-in noise gate, but I wouldn't turn the gain up too much else you just end up with mud. First thing I noticed when I first cranked this thing up loud at practise, It has tooooo much bass, we could hear the bass player over it! So I turned the bass down, but by the time I had turned it down enough to stop it rattling the house down, there was practically no bass to it, making my tone sound thin and weak! // 3

Reliability & Durability: This amp is quite durable, its had a couple of knocks from going in and out of cars and vans for gigs, but its still in working condition, in fact its reliability is probably the best thing this amp has! I have heard of some people having a few problems with it, but none of which have happened to me... Yet! Haha // 8

Overall Impression: Now to end it all, I know I have been a bit harsh on this amp, but it needed to be said, just so you know I have nothing against Line 6, I love some of their stuff, I do my recording with a Toneport UX2, I just think they would be better sticking to recording gear and effects units, and just staying away from amps. Fair play, if your getting your first big amp, or just need an amp to gig with but are on a tight budget, go ahead! Buy one! But if you want decent tone, stay awaaay! If I had the chance to crank this up to practise/gig volume in the shop, I'm preety sure I wouldn't have bought it. // 5

Spider III 120 Reviewed by: christmetal1019, on january 14, 2008

Features: This amp has features like tremolo, phaser, chorus flange. It has 12 channels red and green metal, insane, crunch, twang, blues, and clean. It has presets for famous songs like Master of Puppets, Crazy Train, Barracuda and many many more. It also has band presets like Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, Slipknot, etc. // 9

Sound: This amp is loud, mostly depending on the channels like metal and/or insane. Once I turned it up to just 3 on the red metal channel and boy that amp just blew my socks off. This is a great amp with awesome distortion. It suits my Christian hardcore music style because, it has cool channels. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it not to break down. it's not a tube amp. My amp has never broken down. I would definitely use on a gig without a backup. I definitely has has good reliability and durability. I've never had plain neglect from Guitar Center. I can depend on it to play almost any song and have it sound good. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best amps I've had yet. My 2 favorite feature is Phaser and Red Metal. I play hardcore music and famous '80s, '90s, and '00s songs. For hardcore I use red metal. For '80s, '90s, '00s songs I use those channels with famous songs from the '50s to the '00s. The thing I hate most about this amp is the green metal channel, it doesn't even seem metal. I love the red metal channel the best. I really wanted a Marshall but I think this is better. // 10

Spider III 120 Reviewed by: shmoug, on april 15, 2009

Features: This versatile awesome amp first out in 2006 has a wide array of amp models from clean, to crunch, to twang, to blow your socks off without removing your shoes. The built in effects are easy to use and feature small led's so you can quickly see which effect you are using (they are 3 to a dial like Marshall's FX amps) which is way better than Marshall's FX amps where you are not quite sure when you are on the high end of one effect or the low end of another. Of Course with 400 presets (250 artist deigned and 150 song styles) why even mess with the knobs. You can also assign your fav to user presets for quick access with buttons or floorboards. // 10

Sound: I use an Epiphone Casino hollowbody with 2 p-90's and this guitar sounds like "angel hammers on tuned glass" on clean, and "pit bulls getting castrated" on the insane setting. But never losing the clarity in the high range. My Epi Flame-Kat with mini-humbickers can be a handful with most amps, but behaves with this one. My Vintage BC Rich Warlock and Les Paul Black Beauty basically rip your ears off with power even when clean. The distortion on the presets is so versatile. A few even make the lower strings "crunch-roar" while letting the high strings sing clear and loud. I am getting crunch sounds like George Lynch gets that I never could dial in on other amps. I am getting soaring solo sounds with enough bottom to still be pleasant. I am getting awesome smooth-sharp jazz and country twang on the clean settings. So much power on the clean settings I can't believe it. The distortion never gets so "muddled" that you lose playability. // 10

Reliability & Durability: My classic rock/variety band is loud. Three lead/rythm guitarists plus keys, bass and drums and multi-vocals at any given time. WE use a lot of pa/monitor wattage and if the sound guy turns off my mix I can still play loud enough just through the amp to keep up. This amp does not seem to pick up "gremlins" when it sit's for a while not being used. Good heavy case, with setback controls and internals to protect them. // 10

Overall Impression: I Switch from bass to lead/rythm guitar a lot depending on the songs and whether I am singing lead (don't like to play bass and sing together) We play everything from 50's rock and roll to 80's hard rock with occasional hardcore throuwn in just for fun. Whether we're playing the Beatles or Korn, Neil Young or Motley Crue, Tracy Chapman or Metallica, this amp lets me do it easily and quickly. I've been playing for 28 years and also have a Fender Bassman and Vintage Fender Blues deVille 4 by 10 that will probably sit unused now. My Marshall 100 has been sold. Good riddance. I also use Line 6 Lowdown 300 pro exclusively for bass. I add Line 6 POD 2.0 to all my rigs just in case I want to do something crazy. Both these amps work great with my NADY wireless systems the through the Mackie and Berringer soundboards to the pa. I would buy another of these amps immediately if this one was gone. I chose it because I thought the presets would make life easier. I was right. The quality and sound was just an added bonus. // 10

Spider III 120 Reviewed by: Blecter, on july 10, 2008

Price paid: C$ 525

Purchased from: Music Stop

Features: I feel that this amp is very versatile. It has many options for every type of music. I mainly play rock and metal, and after tweaking the settings I have created many great tones. The presets are decent, but the custom tones sound much better. This amp has 4 channels, and 9 memory banks, so it has a total of 36 customizable settings. It does not have an effects loop, but the many effects on the amp itself make up for it. It also has a quality headphone jack as well, and it has a CD input, though I have not used it yet. The only thing that I wish this amp came with was a footswitch for changing channels. I use this amp everywhere, from in my house to gigs and it has been a solid performer. It definitely has enough power for what I do, and more. This is an all around great solid state amp. // 9

Sound: I use three guitars with this amp; two Austin's and an Ibanez RG370DX. These guitars use combinations of humbuckers and single coil pickups. This amp suits my music style perfectly, and I don't think I'd trade it for anything else. Occasionally this amp gets noisy when around objects like computers and TV's, but that happens with most amps. This amp can make pretty much any sound anyone needs, giving it great variety. Both the cleans and distortions can sound great after a little bit of customizing the settings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can completely depend on this amp. It has been solid since I bought it, and has never needed any repairs. I would use this amp for a gig without a backup without a second thought. This amp is very solid in every way, and after 9 months it still looks great. // 10

Overall Impression: I feel that, overall, the Line 6 Spider III 120 Watt guitar amp is a great amp for guitar players of any level. I've been play guitar for about 5 years and love this amp. If it were stolen or lost I would probably buy another one without a second thought. The amps sounds great with any guitar so long as you take some time to adjust the settings to your liking. When amp shopping I compared this amp with the Marshall MG series and the Roland Cube series and liked the Spider the best. Overall I feel that the Spider III series was better in most aspects than the MG's and Cube's. The only thing I wish came with the amp is the FBV Express footswitch, which would have made changing channels a lot easier. That will most likely be my next purchase. // 9

Spider III 120 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 30, 2008

Purchased from: MusiciansFriend.com

Features: The features are awesome. There is so many. This amp fits my syle of music. It has 4 channels which has 36 spaces to save some of the 400+ presets or your own sounds. It does have a headphone jack. The effects sound great too. I really like the compare mode also. It doesn't really do anything special, it just lets you find out how the manufacturers created the presets.I can't really think of anything else this thing could have. it's got it all! I play this amp in my room and at my schools talent shows every year. // 10

Sound: The sound quality is very good. I use a Jackson with it and it sounds great. It suits my syle well. I do get feedback often. This amp can make a whole bunch of sounds. It has 12 amp models; clean, twang, blues, crunch, metal, and insane. Each amp model has 2 sounds. The insane amp model is awesome because that is the sound that suits my playing style. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very dependable. It has never broken down on me. I haven't had any problems with it and I have had it for over a year. If you're transporting it around be carefull though because the bumps in the road could mess up the computerised stuff inside it. Nothing has happend so far with it. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this amp is amazing. I love it! I play '80s rock so this amp is perfect for me. It's perfect for any style. I have been playing for about 7 years almost 8. Besides this amp I also own a Jackson guitar and a Fender guitar, an AKG wireless system, a Crybaby Slash wah pedal, a Metal Master distortion pedal, a Synth Wah pedal, and an FBV Express footswich (I recommend buying the footswich for this amp). If it was stolen or lost I would buy the same thing or upgrade to the 150 watt Spider three. I love everything about it except for the weight. It is a little heavy. I like all of the features. When I was looking for a different amp I wanted to see what choices there were. I wanted to try Line 6. So I bought it and tryed it and I loved it when I played through it. I recommend this amp for its great price. // 10

Spider III 120 Reviewed by: Petar, on december 25, 2008

Price paid: € 485

Purchased from: Audio Pro, Croatia

Features: I think it was made in 2007 or 2008, it's fairly new. It's a solid state modeling amp, with 12 channels (Clean, Twang, Blues, Crunch, Metal and Insane, every one on green or red mode - 12 different channels), easy to Switch. Also features built-in tuner (not too accurate, but you can work out the fine details by ear), noise gate (kills the hiss from single-coils; at least most of it) and distortion boost (great for Smoke On Water preset). Two Celestion 10'' speakers pull out 120 watts; finally I have to tune down while playing (I had a little Marshall MG15DFX, 15W). I wish it had came with the pedal for it (that thing is almost as expensive as the amp) - supposedly it makes changing effects and channels easier, has wah-wah in it, etc etc etc. It's not necessary though. It has CD/MP3 plug-in, and headphone jack (for the left headphone). The front panel gives a "plastic" feel to it, it looks really bad. But that's about only bad thing on looks, and pretty unimportant. // 10

Sound: I love the 400+ presets (250 artist created (Ben Moody, Slipknot, Muse, Maroon 5, etc; 150 based on some most famous songs ranging from 50's Johhny B Goode over Vai's For The Love Of God to Are You Gonna Be My Girl; and 36 programmable presets, where you can put built-in sound or create your own and save it there). There are some wild sounds in there. It has seven effects (not counting overdrive/distortion) in three knobs; one for Reverb, other for Echo (three types of it) and Chorus/Flanger/Tremolo (3 types). Every effect you want can also change the tempo (with the "tap" button). Built-in noise gate is great (I have a Squier Strat and it really helps to kill the hiss), distortion boost is nice, but not necessary addition. The best thing about this amp is the variety of sounds it can produce. If you think of a sound you want, this amp can do it. It isn't the original (nothing sounds like real Marshall tube amp), but it's pretty close. In this price range, Spider III is probably the best buy (although some people would disagree). Suits my style (or any style for that matter) perfectly, insane distortion is really insane, clean tone is bright as day itself. With the gain knob you can adjust distortion in any setting. One thing I'd like to point out is in the green metal channel, where by turning the mid-tone knob you can get three different and great sounds. Also I have to pin out pinch harmonics, which sound great even on my lousy single-coil pickups. Bad thing is that some of pre-programmed presets based on songs aren't really that accurate (for instance, Purple's Smoke gets accurate only with distortion boost turned on), although the problem might be with my guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Oh here comes the bad part. I had bought this amp first in Prague (actually my dad got it) and after playing on it for half-an hour, it started making some weird noises. So dad went back and returned it and bought a new one here in Croatia, and I managed to chip out the little plastic (!) nut holding the jack the same day and it fell inside. Had to call repairman and he replaced it with metal one, so now it should be OK. About gigging without a backup, yes, I'd do it. I trust my baby now. // 7

Overall Impression: Excused the beginning problems, it has served me well. I use Squier Strat and Platinum Drive TD-2 and I can get exactly what I need. For hard rock, metal and blues it is great thing. It was hard not to fall under UG impression "digital amps suck" but I managed to get past it and I'm very happy I did, I love this thing. It's mine for month or so now, and yet no problems; the thing I got before was probably just faulty product. If it were stolen, I'd probably buy a new one, or invest the money into new guitar. I hate the "plastic" feel you get from the front panel, but otherwise it's a sturdy, good product. I only wish it came with the pedal to make channel switching easier. // 9

Spider III 120 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2009

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

Features: The thing that makes this amplifier better than most other amps you can buy on the market for near enough the same price is that this amp has the best features, You have 400 band presets, which is basically the sound used by guitar players from your favourite bands such as, Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, Metallica, Slipknot, even bluesy type bands and sounds ect. There is 12 amp models you can choose, "Clean, Twang, Blues, Crunch, Metal & Insane" which you can either have on the red or green LED light (red being the more versatile sound). There is also 36 programmable presets which you can save to 4 channels (A, B, C, D) where you can create your own sound and saving that sound you've created to one of the channels. // 10

Sound: I have a Rally Hazard Jackson Randy Rhoads Copy guitar which has Seymour Duncan Distortion SH-6b and a Seymour Duncan Jazz SH-2n pickups. I tend to play a lot of metalcore and hardcore riffs so I'm mainly on the Insane & Metal Models, But the clean models are very nice and subtle. The good thing about this amp is you can play any genre you want and it will sound good, Blues, Metal, Rock, Hardcore, anything. At high volumes is when this Amplifier is at it's best, this cannot really be bought to be used as a practise amp, I would reccomend it as a Live performance amp. I've saved my own sounds to the programmable presets and I love the distortion it gets and how heavy the sound is, I can just press 1 button and I have my heaviest sound ready to play. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well to be honest I've only just purchased this amp but so far it hasn't faild me. I spose' this is an amp that is probably more easy to neglect purely because the wiring and the speakers at the back of it are on show so if you break any of that your kinda' screwed. Best advice is that you look after it well and you wouldn't have to worry about it failing or needing repair. I have had a Line6 Spider 3 15 watt for some years now and that still works a charm so I'm hoping this amp will proove the same. // 8

Overall Impression: I play post Hardcore, Metalcore and this amp is a very good Tool to aid me into gettin that perfect sound. When I use this amp with the pickups I have in my guitar it works so well. I've been playing a year now, I'm in a band and I've used this amp for a of couple Live performances and it's just great. I fully rely on Line 6 amplification now, People would most likely disagree with me but for the price of these amps you can't get much better. If I was to try and get that sound from other leading amplification manufacturers such as, Marshall, Peavey, Mesa Boogie ect. I would have to pay a fortune which is why I think Line 6 is the best, affordable, great sound. // 10

Spider III 120 Reviewed by: thisnamerox, on january 29, 2009

Features: I got this amp back in 06 when Line 6 was still making a name for themselves with the Spider III series. This amp comes with a headphone input, a line in for ipods & CD players, and in input for numerous different Line 6 footswitches. it's a solid state digital amp with 120 wats through 2 12" speakers wich means it's loud, very loud. I have used this Live many times and it's got pleanty of sound so you probably wont ever have to turn it up to 10. It provides 250 artist presents, wich I have never used cause I really don't think they reflect the artists enough, and 150 song based presents wich I really like cause they are surprisingly accurate. It has 7 FX wich are nicely done by Line 6 that are very customizable and tweekable for whatever you are looking for. // 10

Sound: I use a Gibson Les Paul Studio and a Mexican Strat with a Duncan Invader in the bridge. I play everything from punk, to alternative, to Metal, but i dabble in all kinds of music. This amp is great for my playing cause of all the amp types it provides. The amp gives you 36 of your own settings wich is awsome cause you can create and store all the setting you want. I also have the FBV2 footswitch wich is very useful. But then you get to the big Line 6 controversy. Line 6 is a very digital company and since this is a solid state amp and does not have tubes the sound isnt perfect. i can get a pretty brutal metal tone but if i want a really brutal Dimebag sound this amp just cant get there. Since this amp has SO many settings each one is not perfect and has its own little flaws. Another thing i noticed is that when your playing Live and have the amp up louder you need to watch the distortion you use, because the amp is digital it can get pretty fuzzy and meshed together, just turn the gain down a bit you'll still get a killer sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp in my opinion is very durable. I have banged it around many times and it holds up fine. I have yet to have any problems with it and I can't see myself having any in the future, this is a solid amp. The back of the amp is also open wich is nice so I can stick my footswitch, Wah, Cables, and well you get the point. // 9

Overall Impression: I know that a lot oh people smash these amps and hate them with a passion, but I disagree with them. This is a great amp, and I got it when I was still very youg as a guitar player. It is a very versatile amp and it provides a lot of great sounds. For a solid state digital amp I think Line 6 has done a great job and I am very happy with this amp. there is a lot of stuff packed into this amp and you need to do some tweeking to get the sound your looking for, but once you learn how everything works it's quite easy to achieve almost any sound you want. Although, I would recomend these for more begginer players that are growing in thier playing and looking for a style or intermediate players Who want a lot of versatility, for more advanced players go get a tube amp and stop complaining. // 8

Spider III 120 Reviewed by: Knightmare444, on february 04, 2009

Features: This amp is still fairly, 2007 (Maybe 2006) I believe. I moved up from a 15watt Kustom amp, and I must say, it was quite a jump. I'm a in a straight up rock band, and the sounds this amp can make are amazing. It has over 400 presets from bands like Metallica, Slipknot, ACDC, Killswitch Engaged, and it's very versatile. If you want that heavy 80's Metal sound, this amp will make it. If you want a lighter Blink 182 sound, you can get it with this amp. I like the preset channels because with the push of a button you can change your tone, rather than going oldschool and playing with all the knobs. The amp comes with built in Chorus, Flangerm Phaser, Tremolo, Echo, Delay, and reverb effects, and because of it, you can get thousands of unique sounds, without having to go out and buy indiviual pedals with could cost hundreds. With an amp like this, any band can sound original. But I have yet to find a compatible pedal board that can control all of the effects. // 9

Sound: I am currently use a Jay Turser JT-220 with stock pick-ups, and it sounds phenomenal. There is hardly any buzz/humm and the sound is very clear. I can easily get a grunge like Nirvana sound, or a Heavy Metal sound with no problem. The clean settings are also amazing. With Mid, Bass, and treble set to 12:00, it sounds just like an acoustic guitar without the amp. The clean channel can get a bit distorted (But only a bit) if your guitar volume is all the way up. An easy way to get rid of that is lower your guitar volume and raise your amp volume, and the sound is golden. All in all, the clean is very clean, and the distortion is distorted without being outdone but the buzz. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had the amp for about 3 months now, no problems yet, hopefully there won't be any. I am very happy with this amp, and I would definitely use it during a gig. This thing at 120 watts is an ear bleeder. The other guitarist in my band uses Marshall and has a 200watt cabinet with a 100watt head, and he has to turn up his volume to keep up with me. // 10

Overall Impression: I am very impressed with this amp. I mostly play hard/punk/classic rock, and I have no problems getting a desired sound. I haven't had it for long, but I am still very impressed. If it were ever to break by un-natural causes I would definitely buy another one. In my opinion, Line 6 is one of the best sounding amp manufacturers our there, I've been using them for years, and for the quality you get for the price, this is definitely a great investment. // 10

Spider III 120 Reviewed by: poxond, on february 04, 2009

Price paid: C$ 500

Purchased from: long & Mcquade

Features: This awesome amp was built in 2006 and it's the best amp I've owned so far. Now I know that there are people out there that going to think that Line 6 builds garbage, and I'm not in the position to argue that because I haven't had the amp that long. Things might go wrong, but for now, this amp sounds great. It seems solid. This workhorse will play anything I feed it and more. I mainly play metal and classic rock, and it does these styles fantastically. It has four channels, and it has a bunch of four channel bank presets to go to a soon as it comes outa the box. After I got the amp for x-mas, I got the FBV Express foot pedal too. Might I add that it's great too. It's a solid state, but the sounds you can tweak out of it could fool you. I do wish that it had jacks to hook up to cabs or other amps. You could probably make the amp sound even better than it does if you swapped out the Line6 Celestions for some real Celestions. // 10

Sound: I'm using an Ibanez Xiphos, Ibanez SA series, and a Charvel Acoustic and they all sound awesome thru it. My Xiphos has DiMarzio D-Activators which sound like actives, but don't have the hassles. They sound awesome on the amp(trying to sell the Xiphos, you want it? look me up! ). It is very quiet when your not playing. I leave it on sometimes because I think that it's off. The most versatile amp I've played. I haven't played much tho, so I have a ways to go. The cleans are crisp and piano-y. The distortion is... I can't describe the distortion, it's just bitchin. The insane setting is out of this world. you never need another distortion pedal again (maybe the Ibanez tube king). // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would use this in a gig, but I can't say how durable it is. For one, I'm not in a band anymore. Two, I haven't had it long enough to say if it'll take a kick in the teeth. I've heard some bad things about the amp, like somebody put the jack thru the jack not in it, or the effects don't work anymore, but we'll see what happens. It's still under warranty, so I'm not worried.Overall, looks good, sounds great, and I'm sure it'll hold it's own on the stage. // 10

Overall Impression: Good match for any style of music. It shines in it's distortion and cleans tho. Very good lead amp. Or rhythm, whatever it's just sik, ok? I've been playing for three years and taught myself. I'm at that stage where I'm starting to learn discipline to play and am learning lots, rapidly. It sounds great, loud or quiet and would definitely buy another one if it got stolen. I might get the 40 watt Bogner Designed tubey one tho. I can't say there's anything I hate about it... I guess if I had to pick something I wanted, I wish there were numbers on the volume and tone knobs. I played an Ibanez TBX and a Marshall MG and this was better than both in my opinion. I'd reccomend this amp to anyone seeking a powerful combo and to someone Who plays all styles of music. (P.S buy my XIPHOS!:) // 10

Spider III 120 Reviewed by: fulmetal907, on march 23, 2009

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: No clue when the amp was made. Bought it used for atleast a hundred off. I play all different kinds of metal from Metallica to Lamb Of God. It comes standard with the clean, twang, blues, crunch, metal, and insane channels with two of each. This amp doesn't have all the different effects I could dream of but I don't even use the effects unless there turned on with one of the four hundred presets it comes with. Comes with built in tuner (which is a blessing for me), a distortion boost, and noise gate to get rid of that static on high levels of volume. I went to this from a Fender 15 Watt fontman and I am very impressed because all of my friends that I jam with say it's not very good. // 7

Sound: I run my ESP LTD M-100 with stock H-H pickups. I leave it on the bridge pickup 99.9% of the time because the presets will make it sound anywhere from a crisp clean to a hard dirty crunch. As before I play metal and this amp certainly gets the job done. I would have picked the Marshall combo tube amp over it but the spider 3 blew away almost all of the tube amps in the store. It has as much variety as you can think to put into it. I have yet to get the FBV express pedal but will need one soon. The clean volume at high levels hasn't given me any distortion so far but clean is rarely used in my vocabulary and the distortion on this amp blew me away. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it in my room for about a week now because I don't want to take it anywhere yet, don't want anything to happen while it's still new(to me). But if and when I gig with it I will most likely not bring a backup because. Well I don't have one haha. Amp has never broken down on me. I played it 3/4 of the way turned up in samash for about five minutes and didn't get any feed back or unwanted statis out of it. So far it hasn't broken down or been neglected. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp will suit any style of music to my standards. It's a very good match for me because I like to screw around on all of the channels to see what kind of weird sounds I can get out of it. I've been playing for almost three years now and the only other thing I own is my 15watt amp and a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. I asked everything about the product before I played it, I.E, Does it sound good loud? Will it give me a good heavy metal crunch? Will it cut threw drums when practicing in my cousints garage? Does everything work on it? That kinda stuff. I don't think I could lose an amp this big but if it were lost or stolen I wouldn't definately get another. Possibly a 150 or a used HD75 with a 4x12 stack. I compared it to a Peavey 100watt amp and a used Marshall fx100? The only thing I wish it came with was one of those recorders and maybe a new guitar cable! // 10

Spider III 120 Reviewed by: The\m/, on june 08, 2010

Price paid: C$ 500

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

Features: The amp was made in 2006 or so. It's a modeling amp so it has a whole bunch of "channels" I guess you could say. There are 6 model settings on the dial, starting at clean and ending at Insane. Each mode has 2 settings, a green LED and red LED. The difference is that red has more gain of the two. No effects loop, you don't need one though. That is because this amp has most any effect you could want. Too bad you can't really control any dynamics to those effects besides "more or less" of the effects...400+ built in presets as well. // 8

Sound: One cannot truly describe how terrible this amp sounds. With ANY guitar. There's a bazillion presets and I've only ever used TWO! That's because there is only two bearable tones on the amp. Riggs insane and Razorlight. Riggs is the distortion, sounds bearable for rhythms, sounds like a burning orphanage the second you play a melody. Razorlight is the closest to clean I've gotten. It's actually a pretty good tone if you add Chorus and delay but you should not need effects to make the tone sound better. Use single coil pick ups, use humbuckers, use cheap guitars, use pro guitars, flick all the dials you want, be Eddie Van Halen if you can! None of that will make this amp's tone suck any less. It's shrill, whiny, thin, scrathy, muffled, and just plain bad. You know what I use the most? The built in tuner. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Throw it down a flight of stairs? It'll survive. It's built pretty solid. I assume this is to protect itself from people who try to smash it due to wasting money for terrible tone. I would not record with the amp! Let alone gigging. If it sounded good though, I'd gig with it but still use a back up. Even the best equipment can, and at some point, WILL, FAIL. // 8

Overall Impression: I like to play everything but metal is my favorite. This amp claims it can give you a Killer metal tone....that's a lie. To be fair though, I got the amp when I was still very much a beginner. Being young and stupid at the time I thought the amp was great. 120 watts for 500$!? I later learned watts means almost nothing. The effects sounded good to me at the time because I never had anything other than a cheap practice amp before. Those days are in the past. If you're a beginner, just looking to practice and maybe Jam with your buddies...you can get tube powered amp combos out there for just a bit more money! Then you could buy a multi effects unit if you wanted to get all the delays and flanges and what not. One thing is for sure, if you have a spider III, no one will ever steal it. // 4

Spider III 120 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 01, 2010

Purchased from: Leitz Music

Features: Came out in 2006 I believe. This thing blows me away every time I turn it on it fits every style of music you can throw at it.From country to Thrash metal. The effects are very great it has Modulation: Chorus/Flanger, Phaser, and Tremelo Delay: Delay, Tape Delay, and Sweep Echo and reverb. The time of the delay is controlled by the tap button just tap it to make it as fast as you can tap it. It has four channels, 36 user presets, 300 artist presets(never use them), and 250 song presets(some are spot on some a little off) The amp models are great they range from Fender amps to Mesa Dual Rectifiers and offer an awesome base for dialing in your own sound. It also features an accurate tuner, built in noise gate, and distortion boost. Only problem is it only works with a Line 6 foot pedals.its Solid state has an mp3 player jack and a headphone and recording jack. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Fender Jazzmaster with humbuckerish sound single coil soap bar pickups. For me this amp suits everything I need it for I play thrash and rock and it handles those amazingly.The effects are studio quality and don't get drowned out with distortion.it never gets noisy and if it ever does just Switch on the noise gate and its fixed. This amp can make many different styles of distortions and cleans from a slight overdrive tone to a searing metal lead to crystal clear cleans. Iv had this thing about a year and a half and haven't got tired of it yet I have my presets set the way i like them and am very happy. My one complaint is it does get a LITTLE muddeld at high volumes but I'd rather mic the amp and keep the tone than use it without one and screw up the tone. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You can surely depend on this thing. I'd definatley gig without a backup. Its never failed me its ben thrown in the back of a wet truck and carried everywhere. Very good durability. Its just heavy as heck. It doesn't need regular servicing because its solid state. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about four years and play thrash metal, hard rock, punk, grunge, and classic rock it suits it all. I wish I'd have known it only worked with Line 6 footswitches that sucks. if someone stole it theyd have a heck of a time carrying it out that suckers heavy but I'd prly buy a half stack Line 6 spider iv. I love everything about it and hate nothing but the footswitch problem. I didn't compare it with anything because the staff at the store reccomended it to me and I needed not try anything else after I heard it. // 9

Spider III 120 Reviewed by: VHLynchRhoads, on january 09, 2013

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: Very excellent solid state combo amp for the money. Has a very wide array of tone variations. Of course I say both these things thinking that everyone is into the heavey stuff like me lol. Its good for blues and clean stuff as well but really shines for the heavier stuff. Amp has a lot of cool built in features and some decent tone presets as well. Amp does have channel switching (just not your most common clean od1 od2) does not have a effects loop, does have a CD mp3 in jack for playing along with some of your music if you choose to do so. // 9

Sound: I use this amp with multiple guitars a ESP Mirage w/Duncans a Schecter Blackjack with active Duncans a Les Paul with the Zakk EMGs a Peavey EVH Wolfgang (sounds pretty awesome through this amp in drop c haha) Suits my style very well. I have gigged with the amp along with a Marshall combo (that I actually can't hate lol and made me grateful enough for this spider to write my first and only review)and the only drawback I found with this amp is the clean is obviously not the greatest and can tend to get noisy running effects through it at gig volumes or maybe it was the sound guy lol. Really a great practice amp that's for sure. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I believe it is dependable for a gig, I have gigged with it and its solid state so you don't have to worry about tubes. Amp has had no issues as of yet. I have not had to deal with Line 6 and have owned multiple products from them however their online support seems to be decent. The other effects I own and/or have owned from Line 6 have had no issues either. Friends of mine own Line 6 gear as well and have had no issues that I am aware. Hell top band in towns guitarist uses a spider 3 head and cab live and they have been doing very well for themselves for quite some time. Sound great. // 9

Overall Impression: Mostly heavy rock and metal, classic rock as well, been playing 20 some years and have owned a couple of Marshalls in that time. This thing sounds better than they have, and quite frankly I am terribly down on them right now considering how great they are supposed to be. I love the gain on this amp and the built in noise gate/distortion, don't really hate anything about this amp, think they could of made the preset searching/saving, etc a little more user friendly other than that its all put together very well. If it were lost or stolen I am pretty sure I would want to replace this amp because of the reasonable price for the quality for room practice. // 9

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review