Spider III 150 Review

Line 6: Spider III 150
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
reviews (8) 55 comments vote for this gear:
Spider III 150 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 02, 2007

Features: The features on this amp are definetly up to at least a semi pro standard. This amp offers you 12 different amp models from the word go. You can the further manipulate these with the Drive control nob (less or more gain) as well as adding up to three simultaniouse effects, the tap button also lets you specify delay time as well as activating the built in tuner (very handy for when something starts to sound odd onstage)and noise gate. The cab also comes fitted with celestions. The endless patches are also great fun to toy with as you can manipulate them once loaded and most of them don't sound half band. I was a bit anoyed at the fact that a foot controler was not included but apart from that I can't really say it has any major flaws. Also the CD/mp3 jack is really handy if you want to play along to a bit of Stach for instance. // 9

Sound: Me myslef am a shreeder. So naturaly one of the first things I did when I got this home was to plug in my ESP/LTD loaded with some active EMG's I might add, Switch to insane and let rip. It is literaly mindbogeling how a sound that brutal dosn't smuge the notes. The other models are also equally as good in their own right epecialy the blues setting if you want to bash out some hendrix or Buddy Guy. Now I have played my fare share of vlave amps and solid states and I must say this is the best sounding solid state amp I have heard. It even in my opinion beats valve on some of the high gain settings. Also this amp is as quiet as a mouse when you'r not playing even with the noise gate off. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Havn't really had it long enough to give a fair judjment on it. Seems ok though. Havn't really noticed anything flimsy on it. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp caters for all but if you like your music heavy then this amp will always diliver. If you need to have an amp that supplies for all styels quickely and effectifly and dosn't take a lifetime of tweaking to get a half deacent sound then don't hesitate to buy it or at least try it out if you come across it in a shop. If you do by it make shure you by a foot controler as well as one is not supplied. // 9

Spider III 150 Reviewed by: Phil26, on may 14, 2007

Features: The Line 6 Spider III 150 guitar combo amplifier offers perfectly dialed-in sounds with 200 incredible artist presets created by over two dozen of today's hottest bands and guitarists, plus another 200 presets based on the greatest rock guitar songs of all time! // 10

Sound: This amp can unestly make any guitar sound amazing. Right now, I'm using a Ibanez Iceman, and a Squire Strat. I use my iceman for more rythem play. The squire is a pretty shit guitar, but unestly, this amp makes it sound good. I know it really doesn't compare to a real strat. but you can get so much tones out of this amp to suite the guitar your using. I play mostly hard rock/metal. I recently got into some COB, which sounds amazin one my new amp. Things like Metallica, Megadeth, Maiden can be pulled off easily out of this amp. Crazy riffs and intros like Cowboys From Hell can be easily played on this amp. It's pretty crazy how much things you can do with the effects. Chorus/flnager, tremolo, tap echo can all be adjusted so you get the sound that you like. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't really had this amp for a long time. So I can't tell you weather or not this amp is reliable. But this amp really has great potential. I use to have a Marshall MG50DFX, and when you turned that amp louder and louder it just didn't sound the same. Now, I know mg's are the worst Marshall's ever created, but When you put this amp on half volume, you and your band will not get lost because you can here the exact sound coming from that amp. This amp can definetly over power the drummer, even if he tries to hit his drums like he wants to beat the shit out of someone. And it will Keep the exact sound you'll get when you are just playing in your room. // 9

Overall Impression: Man, I love the metal. This amp can pull anyshit off, from blues, jazz and from classic rock, death. If you want a clean metal sound, just put it on the metal model and your set. If you want a deep, chunky, bassy Metal sound, just put your spider on insane and you won't be disappointed. If this amp was stolen I would definetly buy a new one. Even though it would take me a year to save up for, but you can't go wrong with this amp. My favourite feature about this amp, is all the different effects that you can pull off while playing. The only negative part about this amp is, it has 4 programable channels that you can set with their own sound. The problem is that you don't want to stop while your playing, to press a different channel, which is why you would need the Line 6 footswtich. It sounds easy, but when you see the price on the pedal you won't be to happy. It will probably run you about 350 Can. When I was testing this amp I really wasn't sure if it was reliable. But even if something happens to go wrong. You get warrenty, which will definetly come in handy. I don't really wish much more for the amp, I jus wish I had enough money to buy a M-400 ESP, so I can enjoy this amp even more! // 9

Spider III 150 Reviewed by: mccneb_86, on february 05, 2008

Purchased from: Local music store

Features: It's made in 2007. It's a very versatile amp, I play a wide range of music hence the reason I bought this amp. I play a lot of metal, doom, death, melodic death, heavy, but then again I like to chill out and play blues, jazz. This amp has four channels, it has switching but I don't have a Line 6 pedal (a bit expensive). It has a headphone jack and a cd/mp3 player input so you can jam along with your favorite tunes. It has 7 effects, 12 amp models, a noise gate and a distortion boost. I use this amp at home, when I'm jammin with my friends. I haven't had a chance to try it out at a gig yet but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't let me down. Solid state amp, it has 150 watts of power which is more than I need but hey,. you never know. 36 programmable presets, with over 400 factory presets. // 10

Sound: I use an Ibanez SAS32FM with standard Ibanez pups. It suits me perfectly. I can change sounds quickly-no need to turn knobs when I want to play something different. Just push a button and rock on. This amp makes a big crack noise when I turn it on, other than that the only noise that comes through the amp is bone crushing metal. I never had the chance to crank it up. The highest I've ever gone is about half the master volume. It's really packin' power. I rate it a 9 because of the crack noise when I turn it on. It sometimes scares me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As I said before I didn't have a chance to perform Live with this amp but it seems pretty reliable. As for durability solid, my girlfriend always puts her crap on it when I'm not around so yeah. It's pretty durable. I didn't have any mishaps so far. I hope it stays that way. // 9

Overall Impression: I own a behringher 30W and Line 6 kicks it's ass so hard it's embarrassing. If it were stolen or lost I'd probably get the same but a 120 watt model. I'm so happy with this amp. I couldn't have found a better way to spend my money. It gives what I need. Nuf said. // 10

Spider III 150 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 27, 2008

Features: 2008 Model Line 6 Spider III 150 watt Digital Stereo 2x12. This is amp is very versatile for every style of music I play, given I stick to black metal (i.e. Dimmu Borgir, Gorgoroth, etc.) and jazz. This amp has 9 banks with four channels each. It has four different footswitch options, but no effects loop, an extension jack for each of the speakers, and a front mounted headphone jack. It has just about everything with the exception of the effects loop. And as for me not using all the features, I use every effect, it just depends on what I'm playing. // 9

Sound: I'm running a Schecter Damien 7 with EMG-HZ 7A humbuckers and a Schecter C-7 FR with Duncan Designed HB-105 actice humbuckers. It suits my style well, though as stated before I have a pretty wide taste in music. It's never noisy due to the built-in noise gate. This amp can create many sounds through its 400 factory presets and 36 user-programmable presets. The clean channel has never been distorted at high volumes when I've played. The distortion is brutal enough to cover Gorgoroth and Dimmu Borgir so on a scale of 1-10, it ranks at about 50. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely depend on it Live and recording. I would definitely use it without a backup because it's a beast. The amp itself has not broken down but in about a week of buying it, one of the casters did come off but that's easy to fix. I personally don't think it will ever break down as long as you don't kick it in or something stupid like that. But I dropped it once and it cracked the tile I dropped it on so I'm a bit more worried about the environment I use it in thatn the amp itself. // 9

Overall Impression: I play everything and this amp definitely fits that. I've been playing about 3 years now. I own everything listed in my profile. There is nothing I wish I had asked before buying it because the manual covers everything you could possibly need to know. If it we're stolen I'd commit genocide in order to get it back. I love everything about this amp and the best feature is definitely the distortion. I compared it to every digital amp I could find and test and this was the best choice hands down. // 10

Spider III 150 Reviewed by: BassGuitarGod, on july 04, 2008

Features: It's a 2008 model. I play everything from jazz to black metal and this amp can handle it very well. This amp has nine banks, four channels per bank. It has channel switching via front panel or optional footswitch (several available). Sadly it has no effects loop for the few effects it doesn't have. It has a headphone jack located on the front panel in between the footswitch jack and power Switch. I wish the FBV express had a whammy model on it but that's about the only thing I would need that this doesnt't have. I don't like Floyd Rose, Kahler, or any other type of tremolo so I bought a whammy pedal now but can't really use it because it sounds like hell through the front of the amp. There aren't any features I don't use because I love effects. I use this amp for solo practice, band practice and gigs. it's a 150 watt beast, you shouldn't need much more than that power wise. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Schecter Damien 7 with EMGHZ 7A passive humbuckers and a Schecter C7 FR with Duncan Designed HB-105 Active humbuckers and a Liscenced Floyd Rose. It suits the styles of music I stated above very well. It isn't noisy at all because of a built in noise gate even though I run the gain booster on every channel. I can get every guitar tone from Ihsahn of Emperor all the wat to something like B.B. King or Eric Clapton. It's pretty much amazing. It's always distorted at some level because I have the gain booster running on every channel so yea, but without it no. The distortion kills you, kills you in the afterlife, and rapes your soul in the process. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I could definitely depend on this thing. It's built like a tank except for the casters, they fell off rather quick but that is very easy to fix and doesnt't effect the amp overall. I would and have use/d this amp only for a gig. It has never broken down because I take care of it and never neglect it though I have dropped it and cracked the tile it got dropped on so I'm not really worried about it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play in a jazz trio, a deathcore band, and prog band and it handles all three very well, just still want my Whammy. I've been playing for two years with an eight hour a day practice regimen. I also own the guitars I stated earlier, as well as a Fender Tye-dye Stratocaster, and a Crate 65GLX 1x12 combo. I wished I would have asked if someone could mod it for an effects loop. If it were lost or stolen WWIII would begin in my search for it. I love everything about this with the exception of the lack of a whammy model or an effects loop. My favorite features are the gain booster and noise gate. I didn't really compare it because I knew it was amazing before I bought it. I wish it had the whammy model and/or effects loop. // 8

Spider III 150 Reviewed by: stoneburner655, on september 29, 2008

Features: I bought it new in 2007.Its a solid state, has built in phaser, flanger, reverb, noise gate etc. It covers a decent amount of tone that most novice guitar players would enjoy or those just looking to jam with in there free time. It has four "channels" that you can choose from that I still to this day haven't really messed with. The manual says there are different ways to get good tones out of the thing but I haven't figured quite how to yet. When I originally bought this I was in ecstacy but as of now I'm not that impressed with it. It gets the job done, but leaves something to be desired for those seeking to acheive the perfect tone; therefore, of you haven't gotten one yet, just wait for the spider IV. // 8

Sound: The amp comes with a variety of presets and such that can lead the user to almost become overwhelmed by the number of "different" tones that are supposedly offered. I play with a B\.C\. Rich Bronze Warlock used mainly for black metal and thrash metal types of music and the amp does a decent job for the playing I do, but I need more to get the sound I want out of it and after playing with the settings I only really use the For whom the bell tolls setting and the another brick in the wall settings to get and good tone out of it +/- chorus and reverb. If you are looking for a clean sound I would say get something to enhance the amp or soemthing because the clean is kind of buzzy in my ear (although that may be due to my guitar I suppose). The Overdrive is solid but doesnt't offer the growl I look for unless it's peaked. In my stlye of playing less is usually more, which means that my amp needs to give me more with less input and that's something I don't find in this amp. Also, the EQ is not very user friendly with the amp. It has pretty much none. // 7

Reliability & Durability: reliability eh? I would crawl inside of it if an atomic bomb was fixing to drop. This thing will probably last me my whole life since I try and take good care of it, and don't leave things on or around it that can corrode or spill on it. It has Celestion speakers that I beleive have gold wiring in them and the design is more than well planned out. I've had it for a year atleast now and the knobs all work fine, the tuner button might stick a little if overused I say but it's never given me any problems. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I wish I had saved my money for a Krank or a 5150 or something like that but hey, what can you expect from a solid state. I've seen Eddie Van Halen using ine of these with his son so they couldnt be that bad, but for a more sinister tone, or a plain ol heavier tone stick with a Marshall or vader cabinet or something becasue this isnt going to make you a metal master by any stretch of the means, but again if you are just learning and get it for christmas or something and are just at home practicing then this is a great amp to have to explore the differnt ways to use effects and such. // 7

Spider III 150 Reviewed by: Ikonoklast, on october 07, 2009

Purchased from: Some shop.

Features: I don't know what year or whatever the amp was made. Technically, it should be versatile for the sounds you want to create, but for the more tone-conscious player you'll notice that the tone of each style of music that you can 'dial' into via 6 tone settings, is really weak. It's powerful and very loud however, and you have the ability to plug various things into it to make it even more multi-functional. // 7

Sound: I'm using a PGM401, Yamaha and various other guitars. I play everything from metal to Indie. This is where the amp is flawed. Cleans are either muddy or tinny. With the midrange turned up you cannot get a chord to ring true. It sounds cluttered and horrible. The distortion is even worse. Try and strum a full chord with any sort of distortion on and you just get a mush of treble, it's near-on impossible to distinguish any of the separate notes. The distortion is 'brutal' if brutal just means noisy. There's no crunch to it. The most disappointing thing about this amp - when you play you can hear that constant droning hiss on top of the notes. Terrible sound for the money - MG sounds better (which I also have haha.) // 3

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it for practicing, but that is all. The tone is so bad that I've never use it at a gig, and I'd never do any recording with it. My amp constantly wipes the eq and amp model settings so I have to try and re-program it every few days, which is hard - because the amp's tone is so poor it's hard to dial it back in to where it sounds good, so make sure you write down your settings. The input jack is also faulty, deciding to work when it wants, and the distortion can often break up - even though I was really careful to 'run in' the speakers. // 5

Overall Impression: I play any kind of music, and this doesn't suit any of it for one reason - the tone is rubbish. I've been playing 5 years+ and own a really high-end guitar in the PGM 401, and even that struggles to sound good on this amp. I wish I'd have saved up more money and bought a better amp. If this got stolen I would claim on my insurance but pretend it was a Mesa Lonestar. I love nothing about it really as it's unreliable and noisy. My favourite feature is the ok-ish reverb. I chose this product because I got mugged off by the salesperson. Don't let this happen - avoid this amp at all costs. I rate it at 2, because to me overall impression means 'what do you now think of Line 6' and the answer is that I'd never buy another Line 6 product. // 2

Spider III 150 Reviewed by: headbangrx3, on january 19, 2010

Features: I Love This Amp! This Amp Can Handle Anything From Classic To Black Metal Or Basically Anything You Frigging Want! I play about every style you can think of. Classical, neo-classical, alternative, rap, jazz, blues but I mainly play metal, hard rock, death metal, etc. and this thing can handle all of it. It is has 32 presets you can customize and 400 built in presets made by the real artist of the song or tone from the band's/person's tone bank. This amp has everything I need and more. I don't see any reason to complain. It has 12 amp models ( 6 really but for each model there is a second type/sound of the model) and you can switch through every single preset on this devil. I use every single feature/preset on here and it expands your music genre if you play on all the settings. I use this amp from everywhere to gigs to practice, and even at home. This will blow the doors off of any building. I put it on 3 and it was making everyone think they were going deaf(pretty dang loud!) Its a solid state and it beats any tube amp ive ever owned! // 10

Sound: I use Ibanez guitars with EMG and Seymour Duncans: ESP's with ESP's, EMG's, and seymours and basically the same setup for all of my guitars so I can get a satanic death metal sound but at the same time get angelic clean tones as well. It suits any style of music. But on the blues channels don't add too, much reverb because it will act like a bell type sound. It doesn't have any unwanted feedback even when you use the secret extra distortion feature( which is mentioned in the manual.) This amp in my opinion is better than the Spider IV! I just don't like the sound of the Spider Iv's because they tweaked the sounds on Spider IV a little too much. The clean channel is never distorted in a high volume and same goes for the twang and blues settings(unless you turn up the Drive.) The distortion is amazing and there is never a problem. It can go from Cream to Slipknot on frigging crack and not have any distortion problems. The effects on this amp are amazing and are as follows: Chorus/Flanger, Tremolo, Phaser, Delay, Tape Echo, Sweep Echo, and reverb & the best part is you can adjust them with the tap tempo and twisting the knob to a position that gives you the right sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp anyday! I never need a backup for this puppy. I've used it way more than a million times and I must say this amp is sturdy as an invincible monster! This amp hasn't let me down ever, and has never broken down. Not even once. It is one of the sturdiest amps I've seen in my life. It blows me away. I wouldn't change a thing on the amp but the reliability is amazing. I've hauled for about a year now to gigs and back and there is not even a scratch or harmful mark on it. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is good for any of the style of music that I play(which is about everything) and is a good match for anything you need.I have been playing for 5 and a half years and this amp will help you learn the trickiest of songs in a flash. I tried to learn to play Through the fire and the flames on a Marshall halfstack and I just couldnt do it. And as soon is as I got the spider iii it gave me so much more skill and has made me better on any amp or guitar(but I prefer the Line 6's). I have no regrets of buying this amp and if this thing was lost or stolen I'd search the whole world for a new one and then buy it again and again and again. I love everything about this amp. I've compared it to every amp I can find it is by far my favorite amo I have played. You might want to get the most expensive FBV footwitch because then you don't have to go up to the amp to witch banks but I'm In Love With This Amp. Its Like Making Love To Megan Fox! // 10

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review