Spider III 75 Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 06/25/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Line 6: Spider III 75
Spider III delivers detailed amp models based on some of the greatest guitar sounds ever created.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 Features: 8.6
 8.4
 8.6
 8.2
reviews (35) pictures (1) 208 comments vote for this gear:
Spider III 75 Reviewed by: image6, on december 27, 2006

Purchased from: DV247.com

Features: This amp is really versatile, you can go for practically any sound you are after, from a '60s type twang for songs like blackbird, to classic Marshall-esque distortion for songs like back in black. The insane amp model is perfect for metal songs, and is great for the main part of Sum 41's WWV II. This amp has 4 channels to which you can immediately switch to, it can 3 different effects running at the same time, these are chorus/phaser/tremolo, delay/tape echo/sweep echo and reverb, each of the settings for the effects are tied in with the channel setting, so one click of a button and you can change every setting on the amp. It comes with a headphones/POD style out jack, which is really great, the sound from the jack sounds exactly like that coming out the speaker, and you can also plug it straight into your computer's line in socket to record the sound from the amp. Overall the amp is great and there are no major features I wish it to have, but the one thing which is a bit tricky is the navigator, which is a bit fiddly to use, but you get used to it. The manual is also a bit on the lame side, and could be explained a lot easier. This amp is great for practising with, and yes it is the 75w version, but when you turn it down low it still sounds great, but it also has enough power in it to manage to do small gigs, and it is built so it's practically indestructible. // 9

Sound: With this amp I use a Yamaha guitar, which is a hsh configuration, and it sounds great, my axe has never sounded so good. There is a sticker which comes on the amp which tells you, in small print, how to configure it to so the presets sound the best with your pickups, which is really useful (something that should really be in the manual). So you can make your guitar sound like anything you want. I mainly play rock, from acoustic and classic rock to some punk and metal, and this amp really does fit everything; I used to have to carry round loads of fx pedals, now I don't because the amp has it all built in, which saves a lot of time when I need to change my setup slightly. The clean channel stays clean all the way up till the last tiny bit when it becomes slightly distorted; and the distortion can be setup from a casual crunch to a nail biting level, but even at the top end of the distortion the sound is still clear enough so that you don't just hear a grinding sound. The sound clips of the Line 6 site really show how different the sounds can be, and the sounds are realistic, when I listened to them on their site I was unsure if that's how the amp would sound, but it sounds exactly like the site. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is an amp to depend on, is built like a brick and I mean that it wouldn't break, not that's it heavy (it seems lighter than other 75 Watt amps I have used before). It's a solid state amp, so there are no tubes to change, but the sound is still as great as a tube amp. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp would suit any style of playing, the amount of different amp models it comes with (12) means that there is an amp model for every song, and the presets (all 400 of them) mean that you can instantly find the sound you are looking for. The only thing which is bit on the lame side is the manual, but to be honest it's a kind of amp that doesn't need much explaining. One thing that I wished it had come with is a complete list of all the presets built in to, 'cause with 400 fo them it's very hard to find the one you are looking for with out knowing what category they are in, luckily they are listed on the Line 6 site and you can print them off, but it would of been nice if at the back of the manual there was a list of them. Even so this is a great amp, which I would definitely buy again. // 10

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: GRAND MASTER, on march 19, 2007

Features: I have had this baby for 3 months and all I can say is wow! This amp has over 400 presets of sounds of some of the best songs. If you want to play with the exact tone of Angus Young, you turn the dial and there it is "Back In Black". If you don't like the preset, you can make your own. How do you do that? You set the effects how you want it and you press one button and hold it for about 5 seconds! This thing is so easy to use. It has headphone jack (1/4") and has a jack for the optional footswitches. The only issue I had was that there is no direct out. You can use the headphone jack for that that, but to me, it doesn; t sound as good as a direct out, so I bought a D.I box for $20 bucks, case solved. I didn; t think 75 watts would be loud/powerful enough to play in a four piece with a rock band, but this baby cranks, I haven; t had to push past 6! // 9

Sound: I play it with Fender Strat mexican, Gibson Epiphone sg. The one thing I would say is that if you are getting this amp get the shortboard, it may be alittle pricey, but it is worth it, if you change your effects on the fly. A lot of songs my band plays has three or 4 different parts that sound completely different, so the shortboard is necessary. The sounds on this are great, very realistic and they give your nice controls over them. The amp models are clean, blues, twang, crunch, metal, insane. There are two amp models in each setting. An LED button tells you which one your on by either displaying a red or green LED. So for example, if you are on clean the LED shows green, you turn the knob till a click, then the light is red, and the amp is still clean but it has a different sound to it. It sounds like a completely different amp! This baby sounds clean and no excess noise. One of the great things is that when you go from clean to distortion there isnt much volume difference so there is no need for a volume pedal or worry. The distortion sounds here are great, I love the insane setting. If you are into Korn, Slipknot, this is the setting you will want to check out. The effects are put on three different dials. You can use one effect per dial. Phaser, tremolo, chorus/flanger are on one, the next dial is for sweep echo, tape echo, and delay. The final dial is for reverb. You turn on the effect and then you turn the dial until you get the amount of the effect that you want. There is a separate volume for the effect which is real nice, you can make the effect real subtle or really in your face! The delay is sick. You turn it on, then you "tap" the tempo on the "tap tempo/tuner" button. The only issue I have is that I wish they had separate controls for each effect so you could use more than the 3 at a time. That is my only issue. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems pretty sturdy, I have played about 15 shows with it and it keeps rocking, so far so good. This amp is really easy to use and is the type that you don't really need an manual for (except maybe for learning how to save a sound). I would suggest checking out their forum. I went on their site and they have a lot of dedicated people on their forums, Who seem to know what they are talking about. They put up settings for other songs and guitarists that you may like. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is excellent especially if you cover songs and are a stickler for getting the guitarists exact sound. This amp covers all genres, I think amp would be great for someone who play all types of music. This amp is great if you are someone Who like to tweak effects and play with effects. I love the delay and tap option to get the delay just right. If it were stolen, I would definitely get a new one. I can't believe you get all these sounds and options in this amp for the price. An excellent amp! // 9

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: TriviumIgnition, on february 26, 2007

Features: This amp was made in 2006-2007, I'm not exactly sure. It is about as versatile as any other non-modeling amp in my opinion. It is mainly a metal focused amp. I couldn't imagine playing anything else on it and expecting a more than sub-par sound. One feature it doesn't include is chorus (not flange). It is a real shame because that might have boosted my score up a bit. It has a 12" speaker, but even then it seems slightly softer than other 12" speakers in it's price range. // 6

Sound: I'm using this with a guitar with emg 81/85 pickups. It has a noise gate for included, but this is only a noise gate so the buzz returns while playing (not that there is much with the emgs) There is basicly 3 cleans, slight distortion, heavy distortion and too much distortion. The cleans can get slightly distorted with the guitar volume on 10. Not much to choose from in my opinion. The sound doesn't sound as bad as some are making it out to be, but it could be much much better. It sounds good to people Who haven't played long or at all. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'm usualy careful with my gear. It looks pretty tough tho. I haven't had any problems with it yet except for a loud popping every time I turn it one. It is apparantly meant to do that tho so I can't complain. I turn the master down but it still pops. It has been doing it less lately tho. // 9

Overall Impression: I bought this about 2 months ago. For about 4 weeks I thought this was amazing. Now I'm starting to realise how lacking it is. I should have gotten, well anything else realy. I am realy disapointed with it. I thought people were just flaming it when I hear all the complaints but now I see they're true. I will propably sell this in the future and get a Marshall stack (hopefully). // 5

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 04, 2008

Features: I don't know where to start, this amp has it all, the sound is absolutely amazing even when it has low volume.With this amp you don't get that annoying buzz like some amps. This amp has multiple channels so you can save your settings on there. It comes with many effects built right in it like phaser, tremolo, flanger, sweep echo, tape echo, delay, and reverb. It has different distortions to from metal to the classic 70's tone. what's nice about playing metal on this amp is it is not so harsh which is real nice. what's cool for each distortion setting is they have 2 versions like for clean you have a normal clean tone then Switch it to the other clean tone and it sounds almost like a very light flanger which is neat. This amp also has artist presets and many different songs for example they have Metallica's Master of Puppets, Pantera's Cowboys from Hell and some Slipknot presets which are real sweet. // 9

Sound: I'm using a ESP kirk hammett kh 202 guitar with EMG pickups and it sounds awesome. This amp is perfect for me because I play lots of Metallica, Pantera, Slayer and AC/DC. The only time this amp is noisy is when you Switch to a artist preset if you don't turn the channel volume or master volume down it will be really loud, that's really the only negative about the amp so far. The distortion is everything you could ask for from Jimi Hendrix 70's smooth style to Slipknot's heavy crunch and strong distortion. The Slipknot seting, in my opinion, sounds awesome with standard EADGBE tuning rather than their Drop B tuning. This amp has distortions from Twang a very light tone, never really use it. It has a Blues distortion for ZZ Top sound and Jimi Hendrix's smooth tone. It has Metal distortion which is really heavy and made for strong head bangin riffs, Crunch tone is ok for Nirvana and some grunge bands with heavy tone but not too heavy, and the amp also has Insane tone which is in my opinion a mix of the DigiTech Death Metal and some DigiTech Grunge effects.I use the MEtal and Insane distortion more frequently than any others. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp I would most definately be able to depend on it at gigs or shows, even though I'm not in a band. I've owned this amp for about a week so I haven't experienced any huge problems, hopefully I never do. This amp is real heavy so all you kids that aren't strong and really need to lift weights it will take 2 of you to carry it, so you better lift more, anyway back to the amp, this amp is really strong it has a really hard plastic on it so don't be afraid of dinging it on the wall the damage would show more on the wall so be careful. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp fits my style of pure heavy, bone crushing metal and couldn't be any better. I have been playin about 2 and a half years and this is the 2nd amp I've owned, my other amp is a little spec, a 20 watt RMS. I also own a Boss MT 2 MEtal Zone which I haven't even used just cause I love the amp distortion more than that pedal. Most definately I would buy a new one if it were lost or stolen, I would go out the very next day and buy one, No Doubt about it. I love everything about the amp and hate nothing about it, it's that simple. I have got to say my favorite setting is the Slipknot artist preset is my favorite, most frequently used setting, it's crazy. I compared this to some Marshal half stacks and some Peavey amps but just because it had many effects, more distortion and artist presets I bought this baby. What would be sweet is if this amp came with better controls for the flanger and other effects so you could get a wider variety of different tones. // 10

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2007

Purchased from: Tonika Music shop

Features: This amp, is by far my best buy. Ok guys, before I bought this, I went crazy on it, researching it every possible time and wandering what it's features are. In the end, it was definetly worth the wait. The features on this thing are amazing. First of all, when I ordered it, I had no idea of its size, and I didn't want it to be small, but trust me, this thing is a monster. When I took off the box and everything, I was really suprized, this thing is about the size of an adverage tv. The features are amazing, there is soo much difference through each of the 12 presets (crunch, blues, metal etc.) and the 400 presets, there just unbelieveable. // 10

Sound: I'm using a cheap model of a strat, and I have no clue of the pickups, I think it was 3 coil pickups, and this beast plays whatever I want. Weather it's holiday by greenday, or triviums anthem, or wonderwall by Oasis. It really suits everyones tastes. The 400+ presets are also fantastic, although it took about an hour to know this thing and how to save, I managed to save all ma favorites where I wanted them to be. And the sound that this amp produces, I swear it was a 120 watt. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp, I feel that it will never break. The structure of it, is just really built and steady. I have only had the amp for about 4 hours, so I have not tested if it would break down, but from what I have seen, it will definetly stay strong. This amp doesn't need tubes, and can get a lot of different sounds from it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from rock, metal, all the way to acoustic songs. This amp definetly suits all tastes. I have been playing for 6 months, and while many people say that aint long enuf to have experience, trust me, you don't need experience to say that this is a beast. There are 2 flaws about this amp tho, one, Line 6 didn't tell me about this amp sooner, and secondly, it didn't come with a footpedal. But I would always buy one of them later. If this thing got robbed, I would personally search the idiot, and kill him, this is just such a god send. // 10

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2007

Purchased from: Music Go Round

Features: Well These amps get alot of crap and I can't seem to find out why. This Amp Has 400+ Presets and 6 Effects2 can be used at a time though.Thing about the presets are that some of them are the same with different names.You can also Create Your own Preset and save to one of the 4 Channels.The Chromatic Tuner is a Nice addition but it's a little "touchy" I use this amp with my band and for practice Though I haven't got a chance to play it Live yet. // 8

Sound: I use Both a Epiphone Les Paul And a Squier Strat This amp sounds Great With Both! I play all types of rock and a little blues. Seeing as It has Amp models for clean and Rock it suits my Music styles well. Plus It seems to cut the excess sounds my strat makes.I t Has 12 Amp Models so it gives you a nice variety there. The Clean stays Clean models Stay Clean to which is good if you want to play loud but without the crunch. But If You want Distortion and I mean CRAZY Distortion Just put it on insane and crank the volume. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I Can Deppend on this amp so far It has been good for me. I Doubt i Will Need a backup Now for we play small crowds and such But I could always hook it into a PA system.It hasn't Broken Down on me so far and I doubt It will. Line 6 has impressed me.I try to be Carefull with my amps and guitars but I have dropped it once and it seems fine aftewards. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Rock and a little Blues So this is Perfect for me.I Have Been Playing for Three years And with Little Gear (This Is my Second Owned amp but i have "borrowed" others). I Kinda Researched this amp a little before I bought it and was impressed. I even played it at Guitar Center along with a Few Fender AMps and a Peavy one. I Liked THis one The Most.I would ABSOLUTLEY buy another one if It was Stolen for this is a great amp for the money. I love how The presets Give You sounds of great Artist but Can also Give You a great Amp sound aswell.I hate the fact that it takes a while to find some of the settings though and how some are the same with a different name but hey Theres always flaws right?This Is a great amp and i recomend it to any one Beginner or or Expert or someone in the Middle. // 9

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: Amuro Jay, on may 11, 2007

Purchased from: Guitar center

Features: The Spider III really has a lot of different settings. 12 different models to choose from, about 5 or 6 that sound really good. There's a lot of features too, like a built in noise gate and distortion boost, and 7 different effects: chorus, phaser, tremelo, delay, tape echo, sweep echo, and reverb. I barely use any effects anyway, but it's nice to know I have them. The best part about it is that it has the mp3 input jack. Every amp should have that. // 8

Sound: I play with a Schecter C1 with active duncan designed pickups. I play a lot of things, but mostly in the alternative or metal range. This amp is great for rock and metal. The distortion is completely relentless. Of course, turning up the gain and volume on the guitar will give you massive feedback, but that's why they have the built in noise gate. It takes out the worst of it, but the way I play with the gain on max I need a real noise gate. The tube sounds are alright, sometimes they feel unrealistic, like it's too good. Most of the clean channels aren't really worth playing on, but on the twang channel it is possible to get a tone similar to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. a few other cleans are alright. Not something to go pro with or anything, but far better than the 10 Watt Crate I used to have. The effects are alright too. You get just the basics on them, so they're not really versatile. there isn't much to tweak. However, you can use up to 3 at once. I just don't see why anyone would want to. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is pretty damn reliable. There isn't really much to break on it, and it's light for its size. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is great for metal and hard rock. However, you need to do a little tweaking before you really start playing. Whenever you switch a channel, the volume will jump dramatically. But with a little programming this problem can be fixed. The effects could use some improving but whatever. For 300 bucks it's a real good deal. And I highly recommend getting the footswitch for this. // 9

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: degraw14, on june 28, 2007

Sound: I own a Jackson Randy Rhoads guitar with Seymour Duncan pick-ups. This amp works perfect with my guitar, but I realize not everyone owns the same guitar as me, so I played a few more guitars on it. B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze, B.C. Rich pickups, the amp sounded as if I ever Switch guitars. Epiphone G-400, Standard Epiphone pickups, amp still sounded as if the guitar was my Jackson. Schecter Damien, Passive EMGS, amp sounded amazing, But I still didn't hear a difference by changing guitars. ESP LTD M-50, Standard LTD pickups, amp didn't sound any different. The amp can be extremely load. I have not yet put it on full blast. I play guitar in my basement, and I even played in a basement show and it still over-road the drums and PA. This amp can make a brutal sounding guitar, even if you have a Squire Hello kitty guitar, but it can also make a very clean sounding guitar out of a Schecter Damien. At high volumes this amp sounds like you didn't turn it up, distortion wise. It does get loud and it remains perfect sounding. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very Durable and Reliable, I have never had any problems what so ever with it. The amp always puts out the sound I need, and at the volume I want. I don't ever have backup amp simply because I cannot afford one. My amp has never broken down on me so I feel safe with using it 24/7. // 10

Overall Impression: My band pretty heavy metal, bands like Atreyu, As I Lay Dying, and Children Of Bodom. This amp has very nice sound for what I play. I have owned this amp for 6 months, no problems. One thing I would have asked about before buying this amp is if I could get the pedal for quicker channel swap. I would never hesitate to buy an amp from Line 6, the reason I bought one was because my friend had a Spider II and I liked it so I figured I would buy a Line 6 and I was very impressed by both amps. // 10

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: Cistae mysticae, on august 15, 2007

Features: I've had this amp for a few months now and I am really enjoying it. I play all types of music, but mainly classic rock and I'm starting to get more into metal. This amp is the most versatile amp that I've ever played, it's cleans are good, and the insane setting is very very fun, haha. It has four channels, and with a pedal you can Switch directly between them, but when I bought it the pedals weren't free with a rebate (like they are as of writing this), so I don't have one. It has many built in effects, that sound pretty good. I think that with some more time put into experimenting with them I could come to appreciate them more. I also think that the reverb is quite good. One feature that I use a ton is the built in chromatic tuner, I change tunings quite often, and it saves me a lot of hassle having the tuner right there. There is also a built in headphone jack that is quite convenient. I play in a band with some friends, and this amp is easily powerful enough for me, and we play with a full set also. So in case you need to know that it'll be heard over a set, it definitely will. This is a solid state amp, and I feel that the tone is reasonably good for a solid state amp. I also just enjoy the tons of presets that this amp offers. If I feel like playing crazy train, oh, there's the preset, all ready for me, or if I want to play something more relaxed, the preset for message in a bottle is right there too. The presets seem to be pretty faithful to the tone in the original songs they are based off of, and there are also presets created by artists that consulted with Line 6, although I haven't experimented with these very much. // 9

Sound: The one thing that annoys me about this amp is that my 2 guitars sound very similar. My cheap Strat copy with single coil pickups sounds quite similar to my Les Paul Classic, with dual humbuckers. Also, I didn't get much hum when I used to play loudly with my Strat, but now if I go past 6 on the master volume on insane with my Les Paul, there is tons of hum, and it is quite irritating. So I'm going to have to work on fixing that. But one nice thing about this amp is the complete tonal variety it offers. There are 12 Amp Models, and each one of them is quite different and possesses it's own characteristics. Also I like how it is absolutely silent at lower volumes when you stop playing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haul this amp all over the place, haha. It's quite sturdy, and once I almost dropped it down a rather steep hill. And while I don't recommend dropping this amp down hills, I think that it would have still been serviceable afterwards, haha. This amp has never broken on me, and I doubt that it will for a very long time. // 9

Overall Impression: I think that this amp will fit most types of music, and I haven't found any major problems with it yet. One thing about it that I find slightly irritating is that I can be going through the presets and the volumes are not nearly equal on all of them. Say I've got it turned up high on the master volume to play something on clean at a regular volume, and then I swap through some presets, If I end up going past a preset that's much louder than the one I was on (and a very good portion of the presets are) than I get a deafening blast that I'm not expecting. Well, after that happened a few times I started turning down the amp's volume before switching presets, but it's still rather annoying. I really love the built in tuner, haha. And I think that the very high gain on the insane preset is my favorite feature, because even though I'm not too into metal, harmonics on insane are awesome. But I think that if I were to go back to the music store where I bought this and if I had to buy this again, I'm not sure whether I would buy this or a good tube amp. But it is a very good amp, and it's at least worth taking a look at. // 9

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: petey gunnz, on november 08, 2007

Purchased from: SamAsh

Features: So I recently got the Spider III 75 watt amp for my birthday from some friends, and this thing doesnt't dissapoint. Let me start off my saying this amp has everything you'll ever need all in it. It's versatile enough to play all styles of music, although it's made for the metal and heavier music. This amp has 36 channels you can program yourself with your own presets, and it also has over 400 presets which include certin songs and bands like killswitch and As I Lay Dying. To switch channels it requires you to bend over and hit the switch which is a pain, but that's why they got the shortboard you can buy and I plan on buying it. It has a mp3/cd player hookup and a headphone jack on it. I use this amp for everything and anything cause it works with anything. // 10

Sound: I'm using a B\.C\. Rich Metal Master Warlock which isnt much, but with this amp it sounds pretty awesome. This amp suits my music style perfectly I honestly couldnt have gotten a better amp, cause I doubt there's better for this price, and with the 75 watts it's really loud and the sound doesnt't get bad at max volume it still sounds good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it for like 2 weeks now, but it looks pretty durable. I would def gig with this No Doubt. No it hasn't broken down and I doubt it will this things made to last. I can depend on this amp just by looking at it, it's very sturdy and it's made well. // 10

Overall Impression: Me and this amp are a match made in heaven, it suits my style perfectly and it suits every style cause there's just so much options, the possabilitys are endless. I've been playing about a year and before this I had a 0 Watt park amp, so this is a huge step. If this was lost or stolen I'd get another one of these but prob the half stack version. I love everything about it and there's nothing to hate. My fav is the song presets they just sound so awesome ESP master of puppets and message in a bottle which are spot on. // 10

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: BFun, on april 01, 2008

Purchased from: Turramurra Music

Features: This amp is loaded with features. 400 odd presets, 36 user banks to save your own presets in, 12 different amp models, noise gate, distortion boost, 7 effects (chorus/flanger, delay, phaser, tape echo, sweep echo, reverb), 4 footswitchable channels, a CD input and a Headphones out. This amp is loud, the multitude of effects on it are great and so is the range of sounds. // 10

Sound: I mainly used this amp with an Epiphone G-400 and a Variax 600. I mostly play metal and the red metal channel sounds awesome. It isnt noisy at all due to the noise gate, which is very useful and the tone is better than most people give credit for. All the red channels sound great, but for some odd reason the green channels are lacking. Sort of muffled. The clean sounds are good once you tweak it a little and the plexi crunch sounds great. The heavy metal kind of tone is a little digital sounding, but not that noticeable. This amp suits many different styles of music because of the wide range of sounds, although I wish it had a JCM 800 kind of amp model. I haven't really turned this amp past the halfway mark on distortion and I never needed to, so I don't know how grainy it becomes at higher volumes. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp seems very reliable. I've had it for about a year and a bit and it hasn't broken down on me yet. I've taken it to a few gigs and lots of band practices and it's held its own. I would definitely depend on this at a gig without a backup, it just seems sturdy and almost indestructible. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, but also many other styles and this amp suited my style perfectly. The sheer variety of sounds is great, escpecially if you play a wide range of styles and/or are trying to find your own tone. it's a great beginners amp or an amp for a guy on a budget. This is no tube amp, far from it. But for the price, it does the job well. If it was stolen, which isnt likely because it weighs like 20kg, I would go buy a keyboard amp since I recently acquired a POD X3L. // 9

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2009

Features: This amp is completely decked out in features. To begin with, it has 12 various amp models, which include "red" and "green" channels for clean, twang, blues, crunch, metal, and insane. You can simply access anyone of these models by turning the corresponding knob. There are 7 effects, which includes a chorus/flanger, phaser, tremolo, delay, tape echo, sweep echo, and reverb. The severity of each effect can be altered to your whim by turning their respective knobs. In addition, three of the previously mentioned effects can be used simultaneously. The amp includes a built in chromatic tuner, which for the most part is quite reliable and very convenient. Which brings us to the screen present in the amp. The display shows which of the 400 (yes you heard me, 400) presets that you are currently using. There is an immensely wide variety of sounds in these presets, with 250 of them being designed by specific artists and the other 150 being created to sound like selected songs. There are several artist presets available to suit anyone's genre of music and not to mention if you just like a song you can dial that in. Examples of artist presets are Albert Lee, Slipknot, John 5, Killswitch Engage, Hawthorne Heights, Lacuna Coil and that doesn't even scratch the surface of what is available to you. Song preset examples include Enter Sandman, Crazy Train, Don't Fear the Reaper, Dazed and Confused, Back in Black and many many more. With all of these presets available, you WILL be able to find the exact sound you've been searching for, trust me on that one. And if you still feel like making your own sounds then there is room for 36 presets to be made and easily accessed. This amp is a solid state and is built very well. It even includes a heat sink to properly cool itself and a 12 inch Celestion Custom speaker, which is a very good speaker. The amp includes plenty of extras such as a headphone/ direct out jack, CD/MP3 input, and a jack for the Line 6 FBV pedals. In addition, there are some special "hidden" features in the amp such as a noise gate that can be turned off and on at your wish. Just read the manual in order to find them and access them, and no it's not a pain having to refer to the manual. It's very easy to understand and use as long as you're literate. This amp is currently in my bedroom and is more than enough power. The higher gain presets and amp models can be quite loud. the cleaner channels have to be cranked more, but that's the same for any other amp. If you're gigging though you might want to get the 150 watt or 120 watt if you don't use the PA system. Yet, no complaints from me since it's still more than adequate for those of you Who just got worried. Basically, this amp is the real deal when it comes to effective, quality, easily accessible, and plentiful features. Chalk up the 10 // 10

Sound: Ok so I'll begin with my cherished axes. I play basically anything, soft rock, hard rock, and of course metal. My weapons of choice are a 2008 Ibanez RGT6EXFX, 2007 Paul Reed Smith Mira, and a 2008 Ibanez AS73. The Ibanez RGT6EXFX has an EMG 85 at the neck and an EMG 81 at the bridge, perfect for basically shredding like a demon. I had it tweaked a little by slapping some 2 Gauge strings on it, adjusting the tress rod, and tuning it to drop C. For those of you following along, this baby is completely set for metal at it's finest and it is my only choice for playing the heavy riffs. The Paul Reed Smith is my rock guitar, and has 10 hauge strinigs with just the standard PRS pick ups, which are by far no joke. The thing is a beautifully hand crafted piece of ART and every single one of you out there should treat yourself to at least one PRS in your lifetime, and no you won't regret it. The Ibanez AS73 I use for my soft rock and it has the stock Ibanez pickups which are surprisingly not too shabby and 10 gauge strings. Anyway, moving away from my arsenal and back to the amp. This amp is the musical equivalent to a swiss army knife when it comes to sounds. Now matter what sound you hear, this amp will provide it. And now you might think that just because it has the sound you want doesn't mean it actually sounds good. Well everyone, this amp sounds PRISTINE no matter what preset or amp model you have selected. The clean is not at all flat and is as smooth as glass. The twang is just the perfect sound for those gentler pieces that are just a little over clean. The blues sounds just like the blues should and not one complaint coming from my father on how I sound nothing like Stevie Ray Vaughan, so that gets the check. The crunch sound doesn't shy away and has something to prove as it dishes out some pretty wholesome distortion without any background noise. The metal sound does just what it should, provide extreme distortion at higher end volumes, yet there's no background noise and it doesn't muddle your notes at all (HALLELUJAH). And last but by far not least, the Insane setting is completely distortion set to the max and ready to rip your face off if you piss it off, yet still no muddled notes nor background noise (seeing the recurring theme here? ). The 7 different effects are quite enjoyable and you can tweak them to whatever you feel like playing. They are much easier to use than stomp-box pedals and you get the same sound without the frustration. Not to mention that by combining three at the same time you have quite an abundant amount of cool and incredible sounds. You will enjoy every sound you hear from this amp and don't be embarrassed around your peers with Vintage tube amps. This bad boy sounds just as good if not better and can easily keep up with them. This gives you the final laugh since you didn't have to pay a hefty chunk of your salary for it. Mark up another 10 // 10

Reliability & Durability: I had this amp for a short time so I have yet to see how it holds up against damage and mistreatment. However, I treat my equipment like royalty and I will not subject it to any abuse what'soever. Thus, as far as I can see, this amp is going to last as long as I do. The material is well designed and all of the features are quality, not your typical chincy crap that you find on other companies' modeling amps. I can definitely depend on this amp when playing and if my so called band and I get our act together, I will most certainly use this without a backup when playing Live. In addition, the Line 6 website is very helpful in offering information regarding their products and I'm sure of anything were to happen to your amp they will take care of you. So it may be a different story for you, but give it the care it deserves then this earns another 10. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for two years and I'm enjoying every moment of it. I can be considered as an intermediate or above average intermediate player, so no this amp is not for just amateurs (regarding to the multiple comments on this page). My favorite genre is metal however I love all rock and I play everything. Thank god this amp is so versatile and sounds this good or I'd be sunk in the water. This amp is the best match to my style that I have ever found. Over the course of my guitar playing experience, I have owned three other amps. My first being a Fender Blues Junior which was a great amp to start with. My second amp was when I hit my metal phase and was a Vox Vavetronix XL 50 watt. I was content for about half a year until I realized how flat the amp sounded. My third amp was a Peavey Vypyr 75 watt amp which did nothing but piss me off. Crappy construction and the sound wasn't nearly what it should have been. When jamming with a friend of mine Who has the Line 6 Spider III 120 watt, I realized that this amp could be the one. After buying it and playing it, I am quite convinced that it is the perfect match for my style. Killer sounds and a wide range of options, this amp is a winner all around. Great product by Line 6 and if it were stolen I would most definitely get another one to replace. In addition, for a little more fun I got an FBV Shortboard pedal by Line 6. The pedal is well built and is ideal when playing Live since it allows you to quickly access your saved settings. If your in a band that plays gigs I highly recommend you get one of the FBV pedals. // 10

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: SaintsofNowhere, on april 20, 2009

Features: This amp was made in 2008. I got it for my birthday in June, which makes it almost a year old as of now. I was impressed when I first got it, before being experienced with gear. But now I am greatly dissappointed that I settled for this piece of junk. But, time for the specs. It's got 4 channels, and a completely digital operating system. 4 crappy effects, including chorus/flanger, phaser, tremolo, etc. The thing is amazingly simple to use though, so I think this is better than the MG. But it's also incredibly faulty. There is a 3 knob eq, which is one of the worst features. Mids are straight sounding, the highs shrill and ear piercing, the bass crumbly. It's got a reverb knob and a knob with several delays. For the delays and effects, it's also got a tap tempo button which only works have the time for me. The different models on the amp all sound the same. They have a knob that gives you the style of your sound, including clean, twang, blues, crunch, metal, and insane. They are all very, very bad. I stick to clean and blues. I give it a seven ONLY because it is easy to use. No fx loop, solid state, no headphone jack. It's plenty loud enough for what I need it for though. Can be heard over a drummer, but gigging without a mic maybe pushing it. // 7

Sound: The sound is the worst part about this amp. Shrill highs, flat mids, sucky and warbly bass. There is more distortion than you will ever need, but it all sounds flat and unimpressing. The louder the amp gets, the looser and worse the tone gets. No noise when you're not playing, though. Not much else to say. I play it through a Fender Jaguar with Humbuckers. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Horrible quality. The input jack constantly falls through, the mp3 jack doesn't work, the tap tempo button doesn't work, and a lot more too. This is with it never gigging and not changing spots since I got it 10 months ago. I would never even thinking about using this to gig, but I bet it wouldn't hold up well. It still amplifies though, but that's about all it still does. // 3

Overall Impression: I chose this amp for features and solely features. The number of presets got me excited thinking I could get every tone imaginable, but I was wrong. Very, very wrong. I play classic rock, rock 'n' roll, and some hard rock. It fails all of them. However, this is primarily a metal amp, so this might not be much help to many. I do not love anything about it. I hate the tone and the reliability. My favorite feature would have to be the operating system. It's very easy compared to other amps of it's kind. If it was stolen, I'd probably be pretty happy that I could get a new amp sooner. Never would even think about buying this again. I chose this one because I was a stupid person when it came to gear at the time, and it looked enticing. Please people, read up on gear and how it works before you buy, or you may end up like me. There is really nothing that could possibly add to make this better. It needs redesigning if Line 6 wants to keep sellingit; but it won't, because beginners will keep thinking it will be great without asking other people, and it will keep selling. Just don't make a fatal mistake. Don't buy this amp. // 3

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: tume, on june 18, 2010

Price paid: € 270

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: Line 6 Spider III has 4 channels, over 400 presets, 9 fx models. I use it at home, but it would stand playing even live, it has so much power. I mostly play metal, like Killswitch Engage, Megadeth, etc. This amp is just perfect for it! But you can play any kind of music whit this amp! Only thing what it misses is some wires that you could connect it to computer or connect your mp3 to it. But I think you could buy them if you really need. // 9

Sound: I use EMG Humbuckers and this amp suggests to use humbuckers with it. Like I allready said, this amp fits for anykind of music you can play with guitar. You can get almost any kind of tone with this amp because its so versatile. Myself I play Killswitch Engage a lot, this amp has some presets made by them to fit perfectly on their music style. There is also many other presets made by great artists.. Like Slipknot, Lacuna Coil, Muse, and many others. There is also much presets for some old famous songs like "Bark at The Moon", "Cherub Rock", "Rock You Like a Hurricane", "Crazy Train". // 10

Reliability & Durability: I absolutely could gig with it without backup. It's my only amp right now, and I think I don't need a new one for years! I have had this amp for almost year now, I have played it a lot with High Volume, it haven't broke down. And I don't think that it would broke down for long time. But you can never know. If it would broke, I absolutely would fix it. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before, it fits for every style of music fine. It absolutely fits fine for metal. I haven't to test it before I bought it because my uncle told me it is a damn good amp, and he knows a lot of these. If it were stolen.. If wouldn't buy Marshall I would absolutely buy this one. With this one I love those Killswitch Engage presets I play with, and I also love that power that this great amp has! This amp was kind of cheap for its quality, that's why I took this. I have played about 2 and half year now, I'm playing my Line 6 with Ibanez RG 1570 and I'm aiming to buy another Ibanez to play with. // 9

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: TheFlash525, on june 02, 2007

Features: This amp is extrememly versitile, I still consider myself a beginner guitarist and focus mostly on guitar theory at this point but this amp suits any style of playing. It comes with 4 channels with avaiable presets for these channels so you can easily Switch from your clean guitar to distortion with the press of one button. Handy headphone jack to keep the noice level down for others. The amp is extremely powerful as well, can get VERY loud if you crank the distortion. The presets that's are built in consist of over 400 different songs or playing styles from other guitarists. It is pretty confusing at first but once you mess with it for a while you can figure out how to navigate it pretty easily, there is a list of all the prests on Line 6's website, it's very helpful. // 9

Sound: I use mostly Fender/Squire Jagmaster not a bad guitar for the amp. There is a problem with changing between the presets in that when you are switching between presets some can come in very loud and surprize you with the volume, the amp would have done well to stay at a consistant volume while switching presets and allowing you to turn up the volume as nessecary. The distortion sounds really good almost all the way up, then it starts to sound bad, for the most part it is good though. This amp has a extrememly vast variety of sounds, has a 6 different types of effects, very versitile. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The amp is very durable had it for a few months now and have had no problems with it what'soever, granted I leave it in place most of the time and don't play Live gigs. I haven't droped it or anything like that so I can't say it's physical duarabilty first hand. It seems to be able to withstand some damage though. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp overall is a great buy, it's worth the money with it's versitility you can play any type of music really without the need for effects pedles. I would definatly recommend this amp. A side note however is I think I could have done with one model down and probably would have if I bought it again for the money. The presets are virtually useless if you know what sound you are looking for, for a beginner guitarist the presets are fun to play around with I guess, but if you are looking for a certain sound an experienced guitarist could easily figure it out without the presets. If you are just using it for home use I would recomend the Spider III 30. // 9

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: dimebagdarrell9, on january 05, 2008

Features: This amp is definitely a monster when it comes down to effects. It has 12 different amp settings, a chorus/flange, phaser, 3 different delays and reverb as well. For a combo amp, the distortions are not bad in my opinion, but they are no match for a tube amp and a classic distortion pedal. This amp has a very wide variety of sounds already built into as well. There are a lot of classic song amp tones built into the console which are easy to scroll through. There are four main channels which the tones can be saved on or selected from and there are a couple different footswitches which work with this amp. // 9

Sound: This amp is good for just about any genre of music that you can think of. Whether it be jazz, rock, metal, neoclassical, or whatever, the tones can pretty much be reached with this amp. As far as noise goes, the clean channel stays very clean, even at high levels and the distortion stays distorted even at the lowest levels. There are about 6 types of distortion built into the amp and all are fun to mess around with and create the perfect tones. There's the basic bass, mid, treble, and Gain knobs for you to work with. There is also a hidden feature in the "Green Metal" setting where if you turn the mid knob to 0 you get a pi distortion sound, but if you turn the mid to 11 you get more of a complete fuzz distortion. I have found the distortions to be very harmonic capable and totally shreddable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: If I was performing at a gig, I would use this amp without a backup for sure. It has not yet failed me or broken down in the 4 months I've had it. It has always been ready jam, no matter what. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is probably more suited for the hard rock, metal type genres just because of it's multiple "insane" distortions. Overall, it's a great amp for a beginner to intermediate player, or just someone who plays guitar as a hobby. And I would definitely replace this amp if it were stolen, but Line 6 just released a tube version which is designed by Bogner so that would also be on the list of possible replacements. // 9

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: Tartan_nick, on january 05, 2008

Features: The amp was made in 2006. I play rock, metal and blues. Be it chorus phlange, lead, classical or jazz, this amp has been able to adapt to anything, and I've tried everything. Yes, even neoclassical. It has a cd/mp3 input, a pedal slot and a POD-style output/headphone slot. It comes with a nob that can instantly change it to 12 different amp models, 2 different types for clean, twang, blues, crunch, metal, and INSANE for ye' Who like, and I mean this, extreme, overdrive. It has nobs for Drive, bass, mid, treble and channel volume. Also nobs for the effects. One for chorus phlange, phaser and tremolo. One for Delay, tape echo and sweep echo. One for reverb and a master volume nob. There are also 4 channels you can use, in button form, a, b, c and d. You can set them using the tap button. The tap button also controls the effects, for example, it sets time between the echos. It also can be used when turning the reverb nob to filter out scratchy noises if accidentaly made. There are also 400 preset sounds to choose from. They are clearly ordered by band and by date. I have found quite a lot of song presets of songs that I can play. They are all of very good songs such as enter sandman, back in black, things by Steve Vai and many many more (it has a display). It has everything a musician could want in an amp, well, except for a build in wah wah. // 10

Sound: I use an Ibanez 260FM. I also tried it on a Gibson SG. I've tried all the pickups. As this amp is digital it does a few amazing things. Firstly, It plays with the same sound quality be it loud or very quiet. You can retain the sound of the guitar, or if you wish it, as it has so many effects, make any guitar sound you could imagine making a 10,000 dollar guitar irrelevant. Due to the amazing amount of settings and definition of the settings, I can make my 260FM sound like an SG, like a Jem, like anything. I think so long as it's a well made guitar, in the future one will make do with a very good amp and will not need a good guitar to make a certain sound. It has many clean settings as I have mentioned before, twang, blues and clean, two different amp models for each. A word of advice. Do not try the top volume in your house, you will get complaints no matter how well you play, this amp can get very loud. I have tried a 100 watt Marshall on the same day as this, both on full volume and there are two things I have to say. This sounds much better (i.e. it keeps it's definition better), and it is a hell of a lot louder. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a very stable amp. I would expect it to last a lifetime. Though I have no proof. You would have to try it. It has a lot of protection arround the sides and as it is built stabley I don't think it would recieve much cosmetic or internal damage to be honest. I have looked on the internet at how the nobs were made and I don't think they would break of very easily either. It would probably take a good kick. And for the record, I have not tried that. // 10

Overall Impression: I have tried a lot of amps. Marshall, Vox, Fender, Ibanez, but none of them really measure up to the Line 6 spider 3 at all. It's just too diverse with its presets, setting abilities, digital upgrades (you can download presets etc), wonderful tonality and loud loud sound. I would definately buy this again if I lost it and had the money. It is a good buy. I can't think of an fault to be 100% honest, I'm serious. // 10

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: LD_Luke D, on january 22, 2008

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: This amplifier is a 75 watt, solid state, combo amp, made by Line 6 with 12 kinds of distortion, (ranging from clean to insane, and a green and a red setting for each, so there's 6 types of distortion, but 2 variations on each.) It's equipped with a Drive control, a reverb control, control knob 1-chorus flange, phaser, and tremolo effects. on the second control there is a delay, a sweep echo, and a tape echo. These can all be turned up or down. This amp has tons of featues for the money, the most features for an amp like this on the market. There is 36 channels that you can customize and save, and comes equipped with over 400 preset channels, the preset channels can not be saved as your own channel, but it's not too hard to recreate. This amp continually gets loud, not like my old Fender that was loud at three or four, but didn't get much laouder after 6 or 7. It does not come with a chanel switcher, but that's only like 30 bucks. // 10

Sound: I use an ESP LTD MH-50 with no modifications, I have an effect pedal but I do not use it, because the distortion is included in the amp. It fits the style of rock well. For the mony this is a 10 in sound, but it's not a tube amp. (You wont find a tube amp for anywhere near this money). The distortion has a great sound and has no feedback, which is great, my DigiTech Death Metal distortion pedal made my Fender Frontman 15G have some feedback. To be honest I haven't taken this thing too loud because I currently play in my room, so I don't know if it sounds good loud or not, sorry. The variety os sounds the amp can make are great. It says on the amp humbuckers are reccomended, but there's certain equalizer steeings (which say so right on the amp) for people Who have single coil instruments. That's really not a problem. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it long enough to need service on it. The only problem is that the speaker in the back is exposed, so if you're not careful you can kick it out. Most Line 6 are like that so just cover it if you don't like it. I can; t give this a 10 because I've had this only like a month and I con't give Line 6 credit for good service (which I'm sure they have), but since I've never needeed it, I credit them to it. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great match for metal and hard rock. there's a Vox in a similar price range which supposedly has a better sound because of a tube preamp. However this one has much better effects and controls, and controls the effects much better. They are both aroundd the same size. There's a Marshall also around the same price range, and it's very clean sounding, and would work well with a distortion pedal, for what I like to play. Overall the Marshall is the worst of the three, (not a slam to Marshall, but of the three that's what it is). // 10

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: SchmifftyFive, on march 25, 2008

Features: All in all, it's pretty feature heavy for the price. The manual doesn't really explain anything in a helpful manner, but some tinkering around should be about all you need to get past the learning curve. The built-in tuner is extremely handy, and for the most part the knobs and selectors are pretty intuitive. The "game pad" style selector used to search through the presets is pretty finicky, but it's not a serious problem. The presets themselves are extremely varied, and sorted by either the Decade the song came out, the artist Who created the song, or the type of sound it is. In general, the presets sound more or less accurate, but there are a few real head scratchers in there. The songs covered include "Don't Fear the Reaper", "Enter Sandman", "Master of Puppets", "Back in Black", "Boys are Back in Town", "Cherub Rock", and many more songs spanning as far back as the 1950's. The presets also include sounds similiar to those used by famous guitar players. For instance, there is a Steve Vai setting, a David Gilmour setting, and so on. // 9

Sound: This is one of the few amps I've played that I've been scared to put the dial past halfway up. This thing can rock, and packs a strong punch that makes books and pictures fall off of the shelves in my house. I play with an Epi Les Paul Classic with stock pick-ups and through some Monster Cables, and I've been able to achieve a crazy amount of different sounds. The clean channel stays clean, even on higher volumes, and the distortion this thing can pump out reminiscent of something you'd hear on "Metalocolypse". What really has impressed me, however, were the sounds that I've been able to get inbetween those two extremes. The blues channel has a very B.B. King-esque feel to it, and the Metal channel, suprisingly enough, can give you that rock sound from the 70's that bands like Blue Oyster Cult, Led Zeppelin, and Rush are famous for. You can even get a Thin Lizzy/The Who kind of early rock sound from the "crunch" channel. Of course, this is after some tinkering with the tone knobs on the amp and your guitar, but the possibility is always there. And now for the negatives; yes, it's a modeling amp. The purists of the guitar world and elitist snobs may all collectively turn up there noses at Line 6, and there is some merit to some of their arguments. The Spider III doesn't sound as good as a $2000 Marshall Stack, and tube amps may get that sound that packs that certain "I don't know what" that most amp modelers fail to capture. The important question is what you, the reader, think. I personally think the Spider III can stand equal with any tube amp of it's size, and the flexibility of the sound more than makes up for any percieved loss of tone. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Very dependable. I've bumped it countless times, dropped it, knocked it over, and even spilled milk all over it. Works like a dream still, though nothing I've done to it has been too extreme. And there are no tubes to have to replace, which is a nice change. All in all, the thing is a tank, so durability isn't really an issue. // 10

Overall Impression: Musically, I play anything that I can think of, and this amp has handled every genre of music I've thrown at it beautifully. It's loud enough for small gigs, affordable, and can fit comfortably in almost any doorm room (and function as another shelf). It is an amp modeler, and how happy you will be with this amp is dependent on a large part to how you like the sound. So this is a definite "hit or miss" amp. If you do like the sound, the amp practically begs for experimentation, and there are all kinds of cool sounds just waiting to be unlocked. // 8

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: jblittlefield, on june 02, 2008

Purchased from: Edwards Music

Features: 75W solid state amp with one 12" speaker. 400+ presets, but only four are "easily" accessed (by hand, unless you spend another $30 for a 2-button f/s). You can lay out an additional $270 and access all 36 presets if you buy the "short board" (which also includes an integral wah/volume pedal). No EFX loop. No speaker output. Your only output is a combination headphone/line out (pick one). Built-in tuner (which I found to be highly inaccurate -- my Boss TU-2 was spot on, as was my crappy little Fender handheld). Difficult to navigate presets using tiny little button. // 5

Sound: Playing a Squier HSS Fat Strat with Hot Rails and SH-4 JB and an Epiphone Dot with SH-1 '59 and SH-4 JB. Play classic rock, alternative rock, and punk. Suits all style, but many tones sound nearly identical. Quite a bit of noise when volume is up above 3. Clean channel sounds "dark" and becomes "muddy" as you increase volume. Distortion is typical "lame digital sounding", except for a few notable exceptions. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Handle Busted the first time I picked it up, but other than that, I can't really comment since I swapped this amp out for a 100W Kustom Quad DFX after about a week of trying to get a bank of decent, useable tones. It seemed to be fairly well-built, but as to it's durability, I can't comment. // 5

Overall Impression: Not impressed with this amp at all - and I really wanted to be as the idea of having 400+ tones available at the touch of a button was quite enticing. I run a DigiTech RP500 through an 80W Squier PA and it sounds MUCH better and offers more useable tones, plus it's much more versatile. Sure, it costs about $200 more, but to get the same versatility (sans useable tones) from the Spider, you'd have to pay $270 for the shortboard (which really should be offered as a package deal with the amp). I really couldn't recommend this amp to anyone, at least not with a with a clear conscience. // 5

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 18, 2008

Features: This, to be honest, has the most features of any amp I've seen, the only sad part is that they all are horrid. It has reverb, flangeur, echo, all the neat little beeps and whistles you'll never really use. Don't let the presets fool you, most of them are for songs no one likes. You don't need presets! Even if you think you do, they don't even sound like the songs they are made for. it's got plenty of things, a tuner, sound effects, but it all comes down to tone, and the tone is disgusting on this. // 8

Sound: No, it's horrible, disgusting. It sounds digital, way too complex, and the tone is horrible. Everything sounds real bassy, even with bass really low. The digital effects sound horrible, the reverb is awfull, and the distortion is bad. A pedal wont help here kids, it's like putting new tires on a mini van, it wont go any faster. Remember, if your looking for distortion, you don't need to rely on an amp, there are distortion pedals you plug into amps. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Its durable. But chances are it'll have sold to some other sucker on eBay before it breaks. Ofcourse, if you don't want to sell it, it can always be used as a stool, or a paper weight, ofcourse it's so damn big, I don't know why. It weighs 40 pounds. When you look in the back of it you expect to see some huge machinery, but all it is, is a lone speaker. I don't know how it can weigh this much but it does. // 8

Overall Impression: Great amp for anyone Who wants to keep a kid occupied, he'll have fun screwing with the little alien space ship noises, but when you actually want to play. That's another story. Do yourself a favor, don't buy from new companies like Line 6, use the classics, Marshall, Peavey, etc. there's a reason they've been around so long. // 4

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: ajgibson13, on july 28, 2008

Features: I think this amp was made in '06 or '07. It is very versatile it can range form blues to country to some intense hardcore. It has a headphone jack and many effects such as delay and phaser. It has 4 customizable channels. I wish there was a button for distortion but it's fine anyway. I really don't use the blues setting on my but hey it's there if I need it. I use it all the time and it's got plenty of power for me. You can plug your ipod in to it. You can also plug a pedal in it too. It also has 400+ Presetsfor famous artists like Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying. // 8

Sound: I use my Fender with it and I usually use the treble pickup. It suits my music perfectly and it is hardcore and stuff like that. Oh it's really loud which is perfect. It's really loud on the insane metal and crunch settings. The clean setting is always clean no matter how high the volume. it's awesome perfect distortion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I could definetily depend on it in a gig. it's has never broken down on me. I haven't had it that long though so I want be that sure yet but so far it works perfectley jusy like I wanted it to. I definetly recomend any Line 6 amp definetly a spider 3. I would want more amps for a gig though it isnt that perfect. // 9

Overall Impression: I play hardcore, screamo, metal, and post hardcore and it matches perfectly. I have been playing for 5 or 6 months now. I own a Fender Stratocaster. If I lost this (which is unlikely cause it's big) I would definetly buy it again. I love everything and anything about it. I only hate that I don't have a pedal but I probably love the channel switching the most. I compared it to a couple of amps but this was the best by a long shot. // 10

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: CaptainPaul, on august 04, 2008

Price paid: C$ 450

Purchased from: Central Music

Features: The Spider III 75W has amazing tone for any type of music style. There are 6 tones: clean, blues, twang, crunch, metal and insane. Each of the 6 tones have 2 setting represented by a green and red LED when you turn the nob. The green is the clearer sounding tone, more for lead, while the red is more for rhythm, because it has a more bass less treble sound. It has 4 channels on the amp, but you cannot preset them without the pedal, which you must purchase from Line 6. No other brand of pedal fits in the amp, unfortunately. There is a nob for your drive, bass, mid, treble and channel volume, and also the main volume. The difference between the Channel Volume and main volume is that the channel volume controls the volume of the effects. The effect on the amp are used by turning a nob to the right or left, which adjusts the strength of that effect. The effects include chorus flange, phaser, tremolo, delay, tape echo and sweep echo. The reverb nob is by itself. For those how don't understand reverb, it's made to sound like an echo, like it is bouncing off walls, to give a concert hall feel. Some cons about the amp are that the pedal is sold separately, and therefore you cannot add your own presets without it. This 75W amp is very powerful on the metal and insane, and half volume is all you need on it to overpower the sound of the drums if you are jamming with a band. The other four settings on the amp (clean, blues, twang and crunch), while very nice in tone, are a little on the lower side, volume wise. I recommend the 125W Line 6 amp if you want to play large shows or even on a stage. // 10

Sound: I have a Fender Stratocaster, with Kinman pickups, and they are not noisy and have a pretty appropriate tone for a blues or jazz type style. The Twang setting on the amp suits my blues style quite well, because it has a "raw" rock and roll sound, while staying away from a distortion sound. The "noise" level on the amp is quite low, even on the Insane setting (which is ment for shredding). The clean channel is perfect, although the amps master volume needs to be turned up quite a bit to hear it. The distortion is quite "clean", although there is many other effects and tones to adjust the level of distortion. If you turn your MID down on your amp with the 'Insane' setting on and set your toggle switch to "lead" on your guitar, it has a nice crisp distortion sound. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is very reliable and I would indeed use it at a gig without a backup, because it has an incredibly wide selection of settings and tones, perfect for any genre of music. Also the Line 6 pedals (sold separately) are great and make it super easy to Switch effects. The amp has never broken down or "burnt out" in my time of use. I have used it many times at almost maximum volume and it has always been perfect. I have never neglected it of regular services, but the past two years it has been in perfect condition. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of music, including blues, rock, neoclassical, some ambient and metal. The amp has settings and effects to perfectly match any genre I choose to play, and there is no restrictions with this amp what so ever. I personally found that the preset called "Steak Face", located in the "THD" bank, with the mid turned down to zero is an amazing combination for neoclassical metal or any progressive rock/metal you would like to play. I have been playing guitar for about 2 years and all self taught. This is the only amp I own, along with Fender Strat guitar. This is a perfect amp, and you really get your moneys worth with this product. If my amp were stolen or lost, I would buy the same one or even a more powerful one (125W) because this is my favourite amp and I cannot find a more versatile one. // 9

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: Dimebag Bill, on august 09, 2008

Features: I'm not sure what year the amp was made in, but I'm guessing it's farely new. it's a solid state, 75watt. It has a few channels, well it has different amp models. It has clean, twang, blues, crunch, metal, and insane. And all of those models can either be on clean(green) or dirty(red). It has a ipod, Mp3, CD player input, headphone jack, and effects loop. It has a few effects, flanger, chorus, phaser, and tremolo. It has 3different types of delays, delay, tape, and sweep. Also, it has reverb. You can have flanger, chorus, phaser or tremolo on with the delay. It does get pretty loud, you could gig with it if you wanted, but I wouldn't recomment it. // 9

Sound: I have a Jackson DXMG Dinky, with EMGs in it. I'm not really satisified with the sound. The clean is awesome, you can get an alright blues sound. it's easy to get an AC/DC outta' it. It sounds okay on the metal setting, but it's toneless.IT doesnt't really suit my style, I play a lot of metal. Like A7X, Pantera, Bullet for My valentine, but it's not that good for it. It doesnt't get too much feedback, not very noisy. The distortion is pretty good, but if you go on guitarcenter.com and listen to the examples of the metal sound on it, you wont get that sound. I've have this amp for over a year and just recently got an alright metal sound on it. Basically, it's good for beginners. On my amp, when you put the master volume below 1 1/2 it doesnt't make noise, I don't know if that's how all of them are. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I gotta say, this beast is reliable though. It's not that heavy, not that big. I've had it for over a year and nothing has gone wrong with. I probably wouldn't use it at a gig without a backup. It hasn't broke down on me yet, pretty happy about that. it's a pretty tough, duriable suprisingly. // 9

Overall Impression: The first night I got it, I wasn't happy. I started to get used to it but it doesnt't sound very good. This isn't a good amp for metal. it's okay. If someone stole this, I would defininetly, not buy another one. it's not that good of an amp. It's average, good for beginners. // 7

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 02, 2008

Features: The Line 6 Spider III is an extremely versile guitar amp. With over 400 band and song pre-sets, this thing will have you playing late into the night.With 4 channels and 6 different style settings (Clean, Blues, Crunch, Metal, Twang, Insane) with 2 levals for each. on top of that it includes 6 more FX settings. This is all topped off with a 12" Celestion Speaker. // 10

Sound: I am running an Epiphone Futura Prophecy FX(EMG 81, EMG 85, Floyd Rose) and let me tell you the distortion sounds great! But this amp can do much more, and I often find my self playing music music that I would never play before.I love this amps abilities to replicate amps that cost thousands of dollars more. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I got this for $50 less at Guitar Center because it was a floor model and it has not broken down. if it would I would buy another one. I would also Gig this without a backup, it is definitley reliable and loud enough.With two or three of these you would be able to play a gig with ease! // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a very good and very versitile amp. It is a very good value. Although there are better amps for more money, This amp can replicate them with ease.I love the Pre-sets and The different FX, they eliminate the need for pedals. This amp would work Live, But this thing is amazing when your just Jammin' with your band or messing around in your room. Awesome buy! // 10

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: BurnzyRock, on january 20, 2009

Features: This amp seems to be Brand New, and fits me perfectly. And guess what: I play lots of kinds of music. Punk, metal, acoustic, I play it all. And, this guitar has many different settings, although it may take awhile to get used to. It has a phaser, echo, sweep echo, and even channel settings. // 8

Sound: I have 2 electric guitars, and this amps works fine with both. One is a Peavey generation, and the other, an Epiphone Dot. I usually play it in my small bedroom, and it gets way loud in there. I have used it Live once, and it sounded waaaay better than it did in my room. Also, this amp can get loud. Really loud. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used this amp every day since I got it. And, it has held up perfectly since then. I used in one gig without a backup, and I probably always will (at least until I get one of those huge two peice jobs). And, this amp has no technical issues what'soever. I have looked it over multiple times, and it seems to be great. // 9

Overall Impression: This is my second guitar amp I have owned. I have also owned a Peavey transtube, although I don't know the wattage or anything. If this guitar was stolen (I do NOT lose my guitars or amps) I would definitely buy another one. Or, I would try to find it, as it is a great amp. // 9

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: Pat Borden Sr, on january 22, 2009

Features: This is a very versatile amp for us hobbyists. It gives you a wide variety of tones to experiment with while developing your playing style. It features good simulations of 10 amplifier models, some basic effects, and a large selection of preset factory tones. You can pretty much play any style of music you desire. It has a built in tuner which is pretty accurate, an MP3 jack, a headphone jack, and a jack for the Line6 footboard. One bummer is that the preset banks have no rhyme or reason to their layout, and finding them can be a little frustrating. It would be nice if Line6 provided some clarity in the owners manual, but they don't. // 9

Sound: I play an Epiphone Les Paul Special II, with stock humbuckers, and a Fender Mexican Stratocaster with stock pickups & a humbucker through this amp. I play all kinds of different music so I appreciate the wide variety of tones. Bluesy tones for Tom Petty and Stones stuff, Marshall sounding tones for classic rock, and the high gain Mesa sounding tones for getting on it. This amp can be really noisy on a lot of settings, so you gotta tweak the sound a bit to your liking. This amp has a built-in noise gate, but it dosen't work that well. I play this amp at home so I never really get to get it up past 5... but it's still pretty loud and the distortion will give you that warm fuzzy feeling. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for quite a while now, and I've never had one problem with it. It's not a tube amp, so I don't believe it will ever need maintenance. I don't play gigs yet, but my friends that do tell me the SpiderIII, is more of a practice amp, not a stage amp. // 10

Overall Impression: A lot of players at the guitar store bag on this cool little amp, but I think it's just them being a little snobby. For players that are just starting out, this amp is really hard to beat. It saves you from having to lay out a lot of money for effects pedals right from the get-go. The amplifier simulations are also helpful in establishing what kind of amp you'll eventualy want to use in your playing style. If you're playing at home this amp is plenty loud and satisfying, so for beginners and hobbyists I'd give it a solid 10. Heres the rub... now that I've been playing a few years I want a "real" rig. A big ol' Marshall 100w tube screamer with my own custom pedalboard with a wah. I've gotten the itch for more power and control. But along with this power and control comes a pretty hefty price tag. But like I said, if you're just starting out... this little amp is almost perfect. // 9

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: whatiaminstead, on february 13, 2009

Features: If you ever wanted an amp that had nearly all your effects already built in, this is the one. Compared to the last gen Spider II model, the Insane setting is MUCH muchmuchmuchmuchmuchmuch better, and the hundreds of presets that come with this amp make it very interesting and versatile. It's definitely fun to say "Hmm, I feel like Meshuggah today... *click click click* Perfect!". The ability to bank settings is also very handy. However, it gives you the option of "easily" browsing through only 32 of the 300+ presets on the amp, and with so many settings already programmed in, there's not a whole lot of incentive to explore with your own settings. In fact, it's pretty discouraging, considering that as soon as you hit a button, all of that resets irregardless of what your dials are set to, making custom settings quite difficult to play with. Also, the built-in tuner can be a bit unreliable. Check it to your ear before actually playing. To end on a final plus, however, the amp's compatibility with other Line 6 foot switches and boards expands it's versatility exponentially. Plug in a POD to this baby, and you have your whole Live show with about 3 pieces of equipment. // 8

Sound: I've been playing on this amp for 2 years, most of that using a PRS SE Custom and I adore it... granted that I play a whole lot of metal. Largely I attribute the tone to my guitar, which has a consistently rich tone no matter what I play, but the amp definitely has the brutal distortion for The Music I play. From the rich, muddy, Opeth-style metal setting all the way up to Mushuggah and Slipknot, this amp consistently delivers a powerful metal sound that sounds very much like the band being emulated. The problem come in the clean settings. The Clean, Blues, Twang and Crunch settings are all markedly lacking in tone and sustain, and everything, while nice, ultimately sounds a bit twangy. As far as the amp itself goes, the noise gate is brilliant: there is little to no fuzz and the feedback is easily controlled. However, the "hi-tech" nature of the amp makes it sound very digitized and processed. It's definitely hard to get a raw, Vintage sound out of the Spider. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I slipped and dropped this thing end-over-end down a flight of stairs. It still works beautifully. If that that doesn't say enough about the durability of this amp, or if you want something more, talk to Odin or someone and see if they can summon one made of adamantium or something. This side of reality, you're hard-pressed to find something better. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a whole lot of heavy and speed metal. I've been at it for about four years, so the only thing I can compare this thing to is a 15W Fender starter amp. HOWEVER, having also played my guitar through a Marshall (a 120 I believe), I do bemoan the way that the Spider over-processes the sound and really cuts down the actual sound of my guitar, which is beautiful. My PRS definitely plays better but, through this amp, it doesn't sound a whole lot different from my old Squier. I also make significant use of an E-Bow. Over the Marshall, the thing played beautifully, was well-sustained and created a gorgeous Celtic tone through my guitar. That sound has been EXTREMELY hard to recapture on the Spider, as the distortion is so brutal that it makes delicate work like that near impossible. As a metal amp, though, this thing is wonderful (though I shudder with consternation whenever I need to play cleaner stuff through it) and if it ever got stolen, I would want to go out and buy a BIGGER one. It's the perfect amp for people Who want to sound like the bands they love, get "just the right tone" easily, and don't have the money to spend on a massive switchboard. For a package deal like this, compatible with other Line 6 switches and equipment, the over-processed sound shouldn't be that much of a turn-off. // 8

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: eatfresh1736, on april 09, 2009

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: This versatile machine has over 300 artist/song presets. That means your guitar can sound like Tim Pierce, John5, Meshuggah, Master of Puppets, Hotel California, or Atomic Punk. It has 12 amp models to choose from (2 of each - Clean, Twang, Blues, Crunch, Metal, or Insane). It has three effect dials (Chorus Flanger, Phaser, or Tremolo; Delay, Tape Echo, or Sweep Echo - all of these have a tap tempo; Reverb). The different delay effects are great, but I wish the flanger, phaser, and tremolo had a tap tempo also - all you have are the presets, which aren't bad, considering that it's built into the amp. My favorite part is that there are 9 banks of four channels each to save your settings to. You can start off with a preset, tweak it how like, then save it! There's a comparison mode, so you can see exactly what the preset settings are before you change it. There are different footpedals (sold seperately) that can Switch between the channels. There is a built in chromatic tuner, a noise canceler (awesome), and a gain boost which I find is only mediocre. If you want a good boost, just use an overdrive pedal. // 10

Sound: Line 6 is not known for representing a sound (like Mesa is to metal distortion, or Fender is to clean, bluesy, twang). The amp models are all based on real amps like the Dual Rectifier, or the Fender Princton. The Spider is a solid-state amp, but a good one at that. It has a big enough bottom to blast a small gig, while having a glassy enough top, so your lead can pierce your audiences hearts (or brains, if you're using a metal or Insane. The amp has a typical 3-band EQ, so you can customize your sound how you like it. The distortion/gain is different for each amp. Put on medium gain on the twang setting, and you're ready for some country chick'n pick'n. If you lower the distortion on the crunch setting, it sounds like Eric Clapton's blues rock style. If you use high distortion and a scooped middle with an Insane amp model, you better be wearing a welder's mask, 'cause your face is about to be melted! However, since it's not a tube amp, the harmonics will sing through the mix, but it won't be as powerful (use a compressor to fix this problem). For the best sounds, use a passive humbucker. The clean will stay clean, and the metal will kill 'em all. Oh yes, and the reverb is amazing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I only used it for one gig so far, but I'd use it again. I set up four channels to my specifications, and switched between them with the ease of pushing a button (I now have a footswitch for that) so there's no worries about messing up your settings while on stage. I only had it for a few months, but I expect it to last for years. Just in case, I got the company warranty, which is around $30. The outside casing seems tough, and could probably handle a little roughousing (touring, gigging, getting drunk and smashing it with a sledgehammer - kidding), but honestly, Ihaven't tested that out yet. // 9

Overall Impression: I don't have a style of music. I mostly play metal, but sometimes I just freestyle the blues. I like the fact that the clean is very customizable - there's Metallica clean, Pink Floyd clean, Doors Down clean. I have different distorted settings - 80's metal, grunge, Insane lead, thrash rythm, speed (with almost 100% mid scoop), and others. If you have a power metal band, get a Peavey or Mesa with a stack. If you play jazz, get a Fender Reverb. If you have a wide taste, or you play as a hobby, buy this amp. It's well worth the price. // 10

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: vanzantkevin, on november 24, 2009

Price paid: € 170

Features: Having over 400 presets and a variety of optional footswitches you can use this amp for sounds anything from easy country twang to the deepest metal roar. It takes a while to get used to the presets, I would suggest making the first 5 or 6 channels custom to your own style if you are playing with a band, it makes everything a lot faster and easier, I still keep it set clean and play through an external FX pedal but the effects on the amp combined with pedal effects can make some mind blowing sounds if you can keep the interference down. // 10

Sound: An amp that stands knee high has never sounded bigger, I was playing on the third floor of my old barracks one day with the amp on five and when I stopped I heard someone outside yelling freebird up to the window, I happily obliged. There are times when the distortion can get too gainy and within 5 or 6 feet you can get some mad feedback at high volumes but this can be easily corrected if you use the footswitch and learn to adapt. // 9

Reliability & Durability: When your work requires you travel alot durability it important, this amp hasn't been through much but my old one survived gallons of liquer poured over it drunken people falling on it and a house fire (no BS) and despite one knob missing it still plays fine, i would expext the same from this one... // 10

Overall Impression: I've played Line 6 for 6 years now and this is my third amp, Its versatility can match almost any style I want or need and whatever it can't cover is easy to remedy. I have purchased 3 Line 6 amps over the years and through all the hardships they faced I still have all 3 with no problems (despite some scorch marks and a missing volume knob) I believe that the spider series are the most impressive amps on the market today for their price/quality. If anyone argues they can't put out enough sound I'll say this ahead of time: big ass shows are the reason stacks exist, and Line 6 makes those too! I'll stay faithful to Line 6 until I have reason not to but I don't see that happening any time soon... // 9

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 14, 2009

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Features: This amp has many built in features that would take a lot of pedals to get successfully. It has many types of amp models: Clean, Twang, Blues, Crunch, Metal, and insane. It also has a lot of artist presets and song presets built inside, such as "Master of puppets" and "Cradle Of Filth". It is a pretty expandable amp as well, you can attach an "FBV" Foot controller to use, which will allow you to Switch the channels. The channels are very amazing too, it has 4 built in channels and also about 9 or 10 data banks so you can Switch to the bank you want which will change the 4 channels sounds. Each channel can be set to its own sound, for instance: Channel A can be set to Clean sound while Channel B can have a heavy metal distortion which could be used for something like switching from clean to distortion with songs such as Fight fire with fire by Metallica. You can also add pedals to it, like hooking the guitar to the pedal(s) and hooking the pedals to the amplifier. However it can be a pain in the arse if you don't know what your doing. What I really wish is it came with a manual, its not very easy to set specific channels. I mean it does come with a manual but its just not really helpful. It gives some tips and some info on the knobs and stuff like that but it is kind of complicated. However once you get the amp up and running its pretty self explanatory after that. // 9

Sound: My guitar is pure crap, however it does sound A LOT better on this amp! Not to mention the amp has much Variety. It has very good distortion built in, very good twangy settings and blues is amazing! But I think this amp is best for its brutal distortion. However this amp is Digitalized sound, which is an advantage in a way because it makes it hard to break with no vacuum tube, but Distortion usually sounds better with Analog(with the tubes). Yes this amp has amazing Distortion, Analog may sound better but its an advantage for this amp because it is very durable, especially if your playing gigs with it. Now lets talk about the Volume... It is LOUD, after 5 my ears Hurt. But the amp seems to have some trouble with loudness, too loud it doesn't sound as good as it is low. It gives off a staticy sound sometimes. It somewhat depends on the guitar, but the amp will still do it. It sounds better if the amp is hooked up to another Speaker with its output jack, which i do recommend. Treble settings are AMAZING! They give a nice crisp sound especially on Red Metal setting. And mixed with high Drive is just omg... And my guitar is a piece of crap, I mean its horrible... But The sound it makes on the Spider is great! However i would not use this amp for an actual like 'sold out' Live performance. If you are going to use this amp get the HD150 model with the Spider Cab, very brutal! It also seems to have a better sound with a Gold plated cable, it prevents much feedback and gives a more clear sound. The amp also has some built in unique effects like Phazer, Chorus flanger, Tremelo, Sweep Echo, Delay, and Tap echo. They are all pretty much pedals built in to the Amp. However the computer can also do the same with POD Studio, with much more superior sounds, so if your looking for recording, its better to just get the POD Studio, it comes with POD Farm software which has amazingly unique effects. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is solid state with no vacuum tubes and is very powerful. I've hit it on my wall a few times and nothing ever happens. This amp is VERY sturdy and very well made. I guarantee you it wont break down for a long time. Or probably never if you do treat it as it should be. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for a while now and this is definitely with No Doubt the best amp I have ever had. Its a great practice and small gig amp. I do recommend this amp especially for the price, as it is amazing. I play a lot of Black metal, and this goes great with it! Just get a good metal guitar and your good to go with this amp. However if you want a VERY loud more crisp tone with this model, get the HD150. I also know that the new spider IV is out. I tried it and it doesn't have much difference, just an easier preset interface. I also like the looks of the spider III much better. So if your looking for a good practice amp, Small gig amp, or just an amp with some good sounding effects. The spider III/IV is the way to go, 75 watt or above! // 9

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: the tele rocker, on march 12, 2010

Purchased from: machine head

Features: This amp has plenty of effects and settings with plenty of head room to support itself in small to large live settings. It is VEYY easy to use and can cope with any style of music. This is my 1st "proper" amplifier and I have gigd with it twice without any problems and used it for many band rehearsles. I would like an effects loop and more sturdy handle as mine came loose two weeks after the end of the 1 year warranty. // 7

Sound: Iv used many guitars throught this (Humberkers, p90s and single coils). This amp sucks the tone from guitars! But isn't the point of amp modaling to make you sound like somthing eles? The clean tone is quite nice and sounds rather "fenderish". The mid-distorted tones are unresponsive and have very little sustain, a big disapointment in my opinion.If your looking for good AC/DC or blues tones look eles where (vox vt- series)! But this amp is a GREAT for metal players on a low buget. Line 6 say that the metal and insain modes on the amp are ment to recreate the sounds of a mesa or Marshall stack. I don't thinck this is true but there good anyway. The effects are OK and usable but often cut the low and high end from your tone, which can be very anoying. I would always recommend buying separate effects pedals but this is a very expensive option with some pedals costing as much as this whole amp does. In conclushion a good amp for quick clean and metal tones at a low buget but not so great for blues or AC/DC tones. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have owned this amp for just over a year and already had two problems with this amp, the input jack came loose so I had to take the back off and put it back in place (very easy to do, not a huge problem), but more recently one screw on the handle has come loose and I can not repair because the wood has broken. But what can you expect from an amp under 200? // 6

Overall Impression: A decent amp for a biginner but I can't make up my mind if it was a waste of money or a good buy at the time?(thats why my review may seem very "random"). I also have a small Vox ac4tv which is a great little valve amp(check it out)! But is only 4wat and not sutable for live situations! I would recomend saving up for a valve amp if you want good tone and a few pedals if you want the effects but I know this is not always an option. in the end its your money and your dischion! Go and try this amp and outhers in this price range and buy the one YOU prefer. Don't Just Buy Somthing On The Web! // 7

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: patbuck2, on february 23, 2011

Features: I bought this new from Guitar Center in June 2009. As far as versatility, I guess you could say that. It's a modeling amp that covers everything from classic rock n rock to modern alternative rock and metal. I bought it because it was an affordable high wattage amp that could do high gain. At the time, I was obsessed with Metallica and tried to play their songs a lot. It has a ton of channels for saving. It's like a computer. I think these modelling amps actually have computer chips in them. It has a lot of effects in it. Yes on the headphone jack. I never gigged with this amp. I wanted an amp with a lot of watts because I wanted to gig and be in a band, but that never happened, so it was a waste of my money. It's solid state, has one speaker. It does have a lot of features, but how well it does it is another question... // 5

Sound: I used a Johnson Catalyst with it when I had mine. I pretty much just had two channels: distorted and clean. I played metal a lot when I had it. It can make all sorts of sounds and has quite a bit of variety. Here's the clincher though, the tone is pretty poor in quality. For this price, this amp is not worth it. There are many other amps that you can get for less that are way better than this one. Its high-gain distorted tone is alright if you know what to do. The clean is horrible. It often sounds buzzy and weak. It lacks much of a unique sound. It just tries to model all sorts of things, but it looses quality in the process of trying to achieve that. So yes, it has variety, but the tone is cheap and crappy. Also, this thing does not take pedals well. It has its own built-in effects and my experience with it is that it hated other effect pedals and rejected them. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I never had any real problems with the actual amp. It never broke. I took good care of it so it never really broke in any way. I sold it away to pay for a Vox AC4Tv, which I currently have. I had it for a few months, but grew to dislike it pretty quickly. When I sold it it was in perfect condition. There were a few times that it made weird screeching and buzzing noises, but those seemed to fix themselves for some reason. // 6

Overall Impression: I liked to play metal when I had it, but now I'm into great clean and low-gain tones. It was alright for metal at the time, but I would recommend some much better amps for even less money for metal. I've been playing for 3 years now. I bought this after 1 year of playing and sold it a few months later. I liked it for a little while because it could do high gain, but I grew to dislike it. It has crap tone. It doesn't take pedals well. It sounds so manufactured and fake. Nothing about it is unique or its own. If you want a decent modelling amp, go for a Roland cube and there are plenty of other, cheaper, better amps for metal than this one. This was a huge waste of money on my part. Oh well, we all make mistakes. // 4

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: parkouraliberte, on september 08, 2011

Purchased from: Back Alley Music

Features: I'm not sure when this amp was made (don't really care either, sorry) but I got it second hand. It's got 75W. Drive, Treble, Bass, Middle, Channel vol and master vol turny knob things. On the far left side is yet ANOTHER turny knob thing that lets you choose from different different amp settings (Clean, Twang, Blues, Crunch, Metal and Insane). On the other side there are yet MORE turny knob things which let you add some Chorus Flange, Delay, Tremolo, Sweep Echo, Tape Echo and Phaser effects to your custom setting/pre-setting. There is a bucket load of pre-settings to choose from including a Slipknot setting, a few Metallica settings and even a Smoke On The Water Setting! A very nice feature is that you can save your own custom settings among the pre-settings. And of course, the all important ON switch. You can buy pedals to use with this amp, such as the Line 6 FBV range. Together these features CAN work well, that does not necessarily mean that they will. // 8

Sound: I've got quite a few guitars, I only have stock pickups on them (because I am on a bit of a budget) and they seem to work well with this amp...but only up to a certain volume. I stayed at my cousin's place the other week (75W and no neighbors) and took it up to my usual practice volume, 3 or 4 on the master volume turny knob thing. Then I thought "Hang on...there are no neighbors! 10!". So of course, I couldn't resist just blasting it up on full volume. It was at THAT point that I realized why this amp gets so many negative views. After reaching beyond about volume 5, the quality in the sound just disappeared. It sounded absolutely terrible, the clean setting sounds like dubstep or something, then the distorted settings just sound like a nest of wasps, even in a huge open space. I would honestly rather eat a cactus than use this amp at a live show. // 4

Reliability & Durability: As far as I can tell, it hasn't broken down in any way. It's a pretty solid bit of kit and none of my custom settings have randomly disappeared (yet). The only thing I think I'll mention is when I turned it on and off again once and it made a sort of high pitched squeaking sound..but, it didn't spontaneously combust so I'm guessing that it didn't affect it. The FBV pedals work perfectly with this amp, I had no trouble setting it up and saving my settings (with some help from the user's manual). // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly Thrash and Death metal, but I play all kinds of styles and this seems to cover MOST of them. Trying to get certain sounds out of it can be a royal pain in the backside at times but most of the time it delivers well. As I said before, as a practice amp it is great. For gigging, look elsewhere (unless mine is just bad because it's second hand, haha!) but to be honest... I'm not great at reviews (clearly..) so if you're looking into buying one of these amps, get down to your local music shop and try it out for yourself. I'll give it a 7, lucky number. // 7

Spider III 75 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on june 25, 2012

Purchased from: A Friend

Features: I believe mine was probably made around 2006 or 07. I just got it over a week ago from a friend of mine who sells used gear on eBay. I was in the hunt for a new amp and I saw that he had this. I'd always wanted a modeling amp and I gave him a call, so he took this off the listing and bought it over and I scooped it up. It's a 75 watt combo with 400 pre-sets, built in tuner, 12 amp models, several different kinds of effects ranging from chorus to sweep echo. There is a Navigator and channel display which does take some getting used to IMO. A CD/MP3 input and a Footswitch control/ Line out/Headphone Jack as well. // 9

Sound: I am using My modified ESP LTD M-15 which has a Seymour Duncan Detonator in the bridge. Even though this amp has a built in Noise Gate, it's not adjustable and can still be a bit noisy. The Manual that I got with this, doesn't really explain what the pre-sets are, which I feel would've been a great help. So you just have to scroll through them and be surprised at what pops up. I have found out that it's best to keep the channel volume up all the way and to use the master volume as your main control so this way when you're scrolling, you won't get that loud pop when you hit a certain pre-set that's really Heavy Metal. I've discovered that it's better to create your own sounds, especially with the clean settings because the clean pre-sets on here are sort of weak in volume compared to those with distortion or gain of any kind. Mine didn't come with any footswitch, so I did end up ordering a FBV-2 footswitch which is a necessity with this amp, especially if you're a gigging musician like I am. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The only problem I had with this, was a loose input jack which I immediately fixed by taking out the chassis and putting some Crazy Glue around the edges of the jack before putting it back in. Now, I don't ever have to worry about it ever getting loose again. Other than that, this amp is built like a tank and the Celestion 12" Speaker adds a lot of clarity to the sound of it. Some people I know have complained about these amps, but if you know how to adjust your EQ, etc, then using these shouldn't be a problem at all. It also helps if you take care of your gear as well. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm 53 years old and have been playing guitar for over 40 years. During that time, I've played through and have owned Marshalls, Fender, and Peavey combos. Now, I see that everybody is using modeling amps and I did decide that I wanted to jump on the bandwagon and get one, and whereelse to go, but Line 6. I'm still getting used to this amp and finding out something new about it everyday, which is the fun thing about it. I'm just having a blast going through the pre-sets at times, and seeing what's on there and what sounds I can replicate. This is a fun amp contrary to what the tone snobs say. I'm digging it and that's what it's all about. // 9

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review