Spider III HD150 Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 11/07/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Line 6: Spider III HD150
Instantly access hundreds of killer sounds designed by the world's most notorious rock stars.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 9.3
 8.6
 9.4
 7.7
reviews (6) pictures (1) 62 comments vote for this gear:
Spider III HD150 Reviewed by: eetfuk58, on november 28, 2007

Features: This amp has a plethora of features. It has the absolute best sounding clean/distortion models of any amp in it's price range. I play all types of music and it's great because I can easily Switch from a clean tube amp sound to a crazy distortion in an instant. I had the extra pedal to Switch channels because I use this Live. The preset sounds are also very nice sounding compared to most presets on amps. This doesn't mean they don't need some tweaking to sound the best they can, but they are decent. The best part about this amp is all the FX and models it has. If you play around and tweak this amp enough you can get almost any sound you are looking for. // 9

Sound: This amp is loud. It is definitely a gig worthy amp after you tweak the sounds to your liking. The amp is almost noise free and has some of the best sounds I have ever heard from a modeling amp. This amp will fit any style of music due to the flexibility of all the built in models. This amp really shines at high volumes, the cleans are really crisp and direct and the distortion sounds absolutely brutal. I found at high volumes it is best to ease off on the distortion a little bit just to have more clarity of chords and notes. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had no problems with this head. Unlike tube heads you don't have to worry about putting it in standby or overheating the tubes, yet you can still get almost the same sound. It is built very well and will definitely hold up no matter how many gigs you play with it. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is one of the best choices I have ever made. Although it is a modeling amp and probably isn't the right amp for purist, it still sounds amazing and definitely does the job. I'm in college so I find myself constantly using the headphone jack to practice all my songs which is very convenient because I don't have to use an external FX processor or anything, I can just scroll through my presets. If this amp was stolen I would but it again in a heartbeat. I have had absolutely no problems with this amp and it is constantly being used at gigs all around town. I would highly recommend this amp to anyone Who is looking for a great reliable amp head. // 10

Spider III HD150 Reviewed by: Shard Heilia, on august 18, 2007

Features: The Spider III HD150 is a solid state digital modeling amp by Line 6. To start out, it has 400 presets, divided into banks by artist or song. The song presets are divided by era, from the 50s to the 00s. There are also 12 different amp models, all selected by a dial on the far left. There are two models each for Clean, Blues, Twang, Crunch, Metal, and Insane. There are EQ controls for bass, mid, and treble, as well as a channel volume and Drive control. It also has 6 different built-in effects: Chorus/Flange, Phaser, Tremolo, Delay, Tape Echo, and Sweep Echo. The amp also has a reverb control. It has input for Guitar and CD/mp3 players, and output for headphones. It has 4 channels, with 9 different preset banks for saving channels. It has a plug for a footswitch. The only con here is that the footswitch wasn't included with the amplifier. It has 150 watts, which is plenty to power most anything that I play at currently. It also has a built-in noise gate. // 10

Sound: I play an Ibanez GAX120 guitar with stock humbuckers. The amp is run into a standard Spider III 412 cab. The amp sounds incredible. When you flip the dial to Insane and crank up the distortion, it has the perfect amount of distortion for me. Sufficiently powerful, but not so much that you lose the definition of the notes and chords. I play metal, but when I flip the amp over to the blues models it gets the perfect clean, expressive sound for playing blues. The twang and clean are great for hybrid picking and open chords, and aren't distorted at all except at the highest volumes. If you add a little distortion to them, they get a fairly pleasant amount of grit to them. I also play some punk, and the crunch channel has just the perfect attack and distortion for punk. The built-in noise gate eliminates almost all of the excess hum and hiss in the background. I've left the guitar on my bed with the guitar volume up without muting it and not heard a thing. It also works extremely well for single coil sounds with my Squier Stratocaster. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had any problems with the amp hardware at all. There hasn't been any breakdown of any kind. It's very solidly built, and I would easily rely on it without a backup. There are some plastic parts that I would prefer to have made of something a little more solid, though. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for a year and a half. I actually only played through a 15 watt Fender practice amp before. I bought this and the cab on a paycheck from detasseling this summer. I had spent the three months beforehand playing through every amp I could find at all the music stores around town. This amp definitely jumped out at me. The tone, the looks, the power behind it, and the ease of use were brilliant. If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. It won over some of the higher end Marshalls for versatility, in my opinion. All in all, it's a great amp. // 10

Spider III HD150 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 28, 2009

Features: Lot's of features. We all know this. The effects they include are what would normally be rack-mounted effects and sound good enough. Even the built in tuner is nice. Accurate enough. The built-in presets are really cool. A lot of them are just comical or junk but quite a few are really good. When I want to dial in a tone I usually browse through them until I find one that is close then tweak from there. I've used this amp at practice and at clubs as big as 1500 patrons. It's got headroom for all these occasions. If it didn't you can just mic it. // 8

Sound: Sure this is a solid state modeling amp and of course it's not going to sound exactly like $3000 Marshall's, Mesa's, and Fender's. The thing is, so what? I've owned all those amps and I'll be happy to stack this baby up there with them. I play heavy blues, hard rock, classic rock, and metal. You can easily navigate your way through all those genres. BTW, I play Epiphone les pauls. One with Duncan SH-6B/SH-2N pickups and the other with GFS alnico II pickups. They both sound really great with this amp. Tone is subjective. I know what I like and I can easily get it from this amp. If you feel that you have to spend $3000 for your tone then by all means have at it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I like the heavy duty corners on the cabinet and the head. They take a beating when moving these around from place to place but they keep the amp in good shape. The knobs are plastic and the tolex seems a little thin but it's like that on most amps these days. So far I haven't had any problems with this amp and I've had it about 2 years now. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this amp. I got the entire half stack for $649.99 from GC. I feel like that is a great value for what I got. I wish the shortboard wasn't $269 but I found one on eBay for $150 so I saved a few bucks there. It's funny to me when people try to compare this to a Marshall JVM or Mesa triple rec. Only an idiot would do that. Is this as good as those amps at the one thing they do? No, of course not. Are they as good as this amp at the many things this amp can do? No. They're not. The bottom line is that in the class of $650.00 amps you won't find anything as good as this. I tried a $650 Vox Valvetronix and the tone sucked compared to the Spider III half stack. // 9

Spider III HD150 Reviewed by: loserke30, on december 20, 2010

Price paid: € 325

Purchased from: Second hand

Features: This amp is made in 2008 I think. It has a Clean, Blues, Crunch, Metal and Insane channel (every channel has a red and green sound). There are 4 custom slots to store your own sound on and 400+ presets. There's a mp3 line in, headphone jack out, pedalboard/podcast jack out and Left and Right (8ohms for your cabinet) jacks. It has a lot of effects like different kins of reverb, delay, phaser, ... Its a 150 watt modeling amp that can be used with a Line 6 412 cabinet or any other one. I play hardcore and metalcore in a band so this amp is perfect for me. Note: standard there is 1 speaker cable (left or right) but you need to buy a second one if you want to use the full power of the amp. // 10

Sound: The guitar I use is a ESP LTD EC-50 with Lh-150 and its amazing with this amp. Great for hardcore and metalcore but I don't really think its like good for a music style like blues or punk. There's a noise gate build in the amp and a chromatic tuner. The clean channel is ok and doesn't get distorted at louder volumes. You can get from a really crunchy distortion to a really clear brutal distortion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is loud enough for gigs and rehearsels IF you get a second speaker cable otherwise you will blow up the amp because you only use 75watts on one side and nit the other side. No problems with it yet and I hope I never will. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is definatly good for hardcore and metalcore (it isn't a Peavey but its great for the price). I've been playing guitar for almost 2 years and I own a ESP Ltd Ec-50. I would definatly buy it again if it was stolen or lost because its great for the price. If I could I would buy a Peavey 6505+ head or a Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier but those are so expensive and this rig can do the job so I'm happy =). // 9

Spider III HD150 Reviewed by: VastoZone, on july 06, 2012

Price paid: € 300

Purchased from: Music Store

Features: This amp is so great in so many ways. It's amodeling amp but it simulates the tubes just perfectly. It sounds just as I want my Guitar to sound. I'm using an Ibanez Art-120 BK with active pick-ups and that's totally metal. If you want a Metal or a Punk-Rock amp for pros but you don't have much money, buy a Spider III or Spider Valve IV, they're both gread amps. 6 Different amp-models in 2 different versions. "Insane" kicks a-s, "Metal" can also be Punk or Rock. "Blues", "Clean" and "Twang" are awesome for clean sounds and Rockabilly or Garage/Stoner-Rock stuff and "Crunch" is just perfect for AC/DC. Also it has 6 Effects: Phaser, Chrous, Tremolo, Sweep- and Tape Echoe and of course a Delay. They are useful but everyone knows that if you need effects on a live show you buy an effect-pedal. A Good Reverb is integrated, too. Also many many presets for songs or bands like "Master Of Puppets", "Crazy Train", Slipknot and you can save your own settings. With a good Line 6 pedal you have everything what you need to let your Guitar sound awesome on the stage or in your living room but be careful, that thing can go freaking loud! // 9

Sound: The distortion in the Metal and especially in the Insane channel are very brutal. Of course that has to do with my Ibanez with the active pick-ups, like I said, but I also tested ESP pick-ups with the amp and it really works. The distortion is pretty sick. But that doesn't mean that the amp can't go into a good clean-mode. It can, you only need the right boxes and I made a mistake there and bought some cheap ones. Also the amp has a little noise gate and an extra distortion mode which you can activate or deactivate in every channel you saved. The noise gate brings complete silence to the room if you stop the strings and do nothing when you play on a normal loudness-level. But when you're on stage it's not very useful. But who needs that with such a low price? You can go and buy that extra-shit if you need it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is my one and everything. I only use this one on gigs. I'm using it now for 2 Years every day, and every once in a week at band-rehearsals on a high level. It can't break down or anything so fast because it doesn't have real tubes, it only simulates them. Just perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly play Punk and Metal. This amp is perfect for it. I play it for 2 years now and it will still be satisfying in 2 years. I didn't know much about the amp, I bought it online but that really was a lucky one. Never thought about getting something that good for such a price. I would totally buy this thing again, or maybe the Spider Valve VI or another Line 6 modelling amp because they f*cking rule. I don't need much features. I normally only play the Metal, Clean and Crunch amp-models and that's enough. Sounds awesome and what do you want more. My friend got him self a Marshall for the same price. It was an mg-100-whatever-I-don't-know and it really sucks, even though his boxes are better than mine. It's a transistor amp and it could never be as pushing as the Spider III. There's nothing more this amp could have to be more awesome. It is the perfection in my ears and my eyes. // 10

Spider III HD150 Reviewed by: ferdius, on november 07, 2012

Purchased from: Pawn shop

Features: Not sure of the year it was made, but I have a Line 6 Spider III HD 150 half stack that I purchased at a pawn shop for $120.00. It is a 150 watt (2x75) stereo head and the cabinet has 4 12in Celestion speaker, that, has two inputs that take one for each side from the head. The amp has 36 presets, 9 banks with 4 each so if set up correctly, you could have a 36 channel amp. The amp is solid state, modeling with 2 distinct amps styles for: clean, twang, blues, crunch, metal and insane. The amp also features chorus, flange, echo, tape echo, tremolo, reverb, and a built in tuner. I have an FBV pedal that lets me go through the a, b, c and d channels. With a shortboard, you can bank up and down among other things. The amp also features a headphone jack, and an input for an mp3 or Ipod. // 10

Sound: I use this amp currently with an Epiphone Dot with humbuckers, and a frankenstrat with 3 single coils. I will be owning a Line 6 Variax 700 soon that models many guitars so I can't wait to try it on this amp. Now, does the amp really sound like the amps they can model? No. That being said, this amps gets really good sounds. You can get a huge variety on this, either using or modifying the existing presets, or making your own. While the amps does not have a "distortion" pedal built in, the distortions you can get off the amp models are excellent. It takes time, but you can get very workable tones from this amp. The "Crunch" setting gets some very realistic Marshall tones, and the Twang And Clean amps on this amp get sparkling clean tones, and you can get a huge variety. The Metal setting has some happening tones and the insane can be fun. The blues amp setting takes a lot of tweaking, and I feel this is the weakest of the modeled amps, but with time and patience you can get happening tones. This amp will handle it all, jazz, rock, metal, pop, power pop, classic rock, 80's etc. You can also db boost the distortions so you could set your amp tone on "A" and set the same amp tone with a boost on "B". There are tons of possibilities. Like I said, it is a solid state amp, not tube, I would be lying if I said it sounded just like a tube amp, but it gets very workable and professional tones, and for a working musician, this amp could be a godsend. Especially in a cover band. In short, this is a loud, versatile amp that would complement most musicians. I am giving it an 8 because it really does not get the "pure" sound of a tube amp or the amps it models. One additional point, this amp sounds excellent at low volumes, something you don't always get in an amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The amps is sturdy, very sturdy, but knowing it is solid state, and not made in the U.S., I would not recommend bouncing it around. I have had it a year and have had no problems. If you are going to turn the amp up loud, make sure you have the cab plugged in with both speaker cables, it is a stereo amp, you can overload the head and it can blow out. You could use it without a backup, the bigger amps from Line 6 appear to be more durable than the 15 and 30 watt models. Perhaps, it is better structural durability. // 8

Overall Impression: For the price I paid for this amp, I thought it was just the head, but no, it was for the half stack. And the amp was in like new condition to boot. I have had many amps, solid state and tube, and I am happy enough with this one, that I don't have to look at any other amps. I play rock/power pop and some blues. I am not a pro musician, but Jam and play with friends every once in a while. I am very happy with this amp, and it easily matches the sound and quality of the Vox modelling amps, and is easily above the Peavey Vypyr models. The many things this amp can do, the overall sound and quality are definitely worth considering. The new ones are Spider IV, so if you can find one of the III's used, snatch it up, you won't be disappointed. The difference between the II's and III's is quite a bit, and while I have tried the IV model, there is not that much difference that would make me want to upgrade. And if I did, I would only need the head, as the cab has stayed the same since the II's.

// 10