Spider III HD75 Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 05/21/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Line 6: Spider III HD75
The only amps with insane rock star settings Spider III HD75 (head) delivers 4 remarkable amp channel models with clean, crunch, metal, and insane all dialed in by an amazing team of artists.
 Features: 8.3
 6.9
 8.6
 5.2
reviews (3) 34 comments vote for this gear:
Spider III HD75 Reviewed by: purplestrat, on june 27, 2007

Features: This amp does have some cool effects and features, like the Smart Control FX, but it lacks some features too. It only has one channel, and you can't really modify in detail the intensity of the distortion levels. Only four buttons to select clean, crunch, metal, or insane. A very light distortion isn't possible on this amp. Although it does have some cool effects that you would otherwise have to use a pedal board, like phaser, chorus/flanger, tremolo, sweep echo, tape echo, and reverb, you can only use two at a time. But what is annoying is you have to reset your effects once you change gain levels. // 7

Sound: I am currently using a Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mohogany through it, or a Squire Stratocaster, but they don't sound much different. It sort of robs the Gibson of it's full potential sound that it could get with a similar amp head. I'm playing it through a Marshall Cabinet. If you strictly play punk styles, then it will be fine. But it failed to stretch to my wide variety of rock, so I play it straight through the mixer for recording. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I probably could use it for a gig without backup, but I might not want to, due to the lack of variety. It has not had any problems due to abuse, because I leave it sitting most of the time, bit I could imagine someone Who would use it a lot over time start to wear down. It has been very reliable for me however, because I don't move it much. // 9

Overall Impression: Once again if punk and some metal is all that you play, sure it's a good match, but the lack of a knob for a gain level doesn't allow fine tuning. I have been playing for several years, and have played on better amps heads than this, but for now I'm not completely satisfied, but it will work. This wasn't my first choice as a head, and I was looking at the Marshall head, but guitar center had just sold their last one, and I didn't want to wait (I now wish I had). I do wish this amp had more flexibility, but I can't complain about the effects, except the reset after changing gain levels. // 7

Spider III HD75 Reviewed by: frajfraj, on march 03, 2009

Purchased from: Ken Stanton

Features: I got this amp when it was relatively new, about 3 years ago. First of all, it is one of the most versatile and impressive amps I have ever played out of (and I am one of those Who visit's music stores just to try out new gear). It has four channels, 9 customizable banks, 12 amp models, plenty of effects and nearly limitless customization. I have every one of the 36 channels customized with my specific sounds for my rock/metal band. And the artist and song pre-sets are really fun too, and useful if you're trying to mimic a certain sound. I use this amp on stage in small and medium size venues, and it produces enough sound for anything from a small auditorium to a bedroom practice level. It always sounds great, though not so great through headphones. But the thing that impresses me most is the versatility. It has warm cleans that come very near to an authentic tube tone, and sick over the top distortion that's as heavy as I've ever heard in comprehensible music. From blues to pop to jazz to rock to metal to hardcore to whatever -- awesome amp. // 10

Sound: I play both my Ltd Viper FM-100 and my Fender Standard Strat through it, and each sounds great. It's also extremely clean, with an incredible, infallible built in noisegate. I jam with other musicians, and they often have to stand far from their amps to avoid feedback, but I can be nearly as loud as it gets and have very minimal extra sound from very close. The cleans stay clean, the heavies stay heavy, and the distortion is my favorite part -- extremely heavy. The only problem is if you get the amp past the halfway mark, and you have a good bit of bass in the mix, it starts to do a weird, undertone sort of growl, but I think that's just that much power going through a 12". // 10

Reliability & Durability: I use this all the time at gigs without backup -- I have dropped it numerous times, and the only damage it has suffered is a single knob (luckily one I never use) was knocked off. It has withstood weather, careless drink spillage, clumsy roadies, and the like, but is still just as good as the day I bought it. Super dependable, just don't leave it in a super cold place, like I did once, or it will have to warm up before it will work right. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been a guitarist of many kinds for nearing 4 years now, and I freaking adore this amp, and the brand as a whole. While not the best Line 6 amp, I give the Spider III HD's a hand for being affordable and versatile, and super high quality. I will always keep this amp, and hope to get it's 150 watt full stack cousin within 2009. The only thing I wish it had is a way to run it into a cabinet so you can get better projection if you need to, but other than that, a damn fine amplifier. // 10

Spider III HD75 Reviewed by: lukec1792, on may 21, 2010

Purchased from: friend

Features: I'm not too sure where or when this was made as I bought it from a friend. It has four channels. Clean, crunch, metal and insane. I always used to use insane when I played songs in my room but metal is what I play it on mostly. It also has four different effects on one dial. All basic but they sound good when used properly. I mainly use other effects pedals anyway. It's a solid state amp but you can get some serious bite out of it. It sounds great for metal. // 8

Sound: I use a Cort KX5 with it and it sounds awesome. Really raw and expressive. I used to play metal with it but when my band changed styles it seemed to fit into it's new role pretty faultlessly. Many people say this amp sucks but I really have nothing bad to say about it. I've always been able to get a sound I like out of it. The distortion on insane is just that. It gives out some brutal chug if you wanted to but it can also give a beautiful warm crunchy tones. Not that you'd buy one for that. This amp is best for heavier music. The clean channel remains clean throughout the ranges of volumes I have ever used. Even at gigs. I've never had it past twelve o'clock on the master dial. I've never had any buzz or hum from it either when the guitar is turned all the way to zero, which has a lot less stressful than having the hum constantly when on the distortion channels. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This has held up very well. It has a few bumps on it but apart from that there's nothing I can really say is wrong with it's reliability. I've used it for many gigs without a back up. I never even gave it a thought because it's just been so solid. It's never broken down on me and it's never even lasped in performance. // 9

Overall Impression: I really do love this amp. I'm gutted I have to sell it. But it's for funds for a new set up. It suits metal very very well and the heavier side of music. I've been playing for three years but this last year since I joined my band I've not played as much. Whenever I've played gigs or written songs with it I've found it nothing but a joy. I wouldn't buy it again if it was lost but only because I now think I should move on to something higher up the ranks. It's nothing to do with the amp. Maybe a year or two ago I would have. Don't get me wrong you can use it for gigging no matter what your skill. But now I'm more into Blackstar and Marshall and orange. If you are looking for good quality for a cheap price this is your amp. Especially if you're playing heavier music such as post hardcore and metal. // 8

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review