Spider IV 30 Review

reviews (14) pictures (1) 81 comments vote for this gear:
Spider IV 30 Reviewed by: joshmckinnon, on december 25, 2009

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: long & McQuade

Features: This amp is a brand new 2009 model. It has 4 channels, and a built in tuner as well as several different distortion settings and effects. I play mostly rock and some blues and this amp is well suited for this. I use this amp for practice and gigging. I recently played in front of my school in our big double gym and I set the volume at around 4 or 5 and people at the far back could hear it, even with the bass and drums hooked up through the P.A. system. It is very reliable and has not failed me yet. // 9

Sound: I am using this amp with a strat with single coils. It is very versatile for all music styles and I can adjust the distortion to whatever I feel like. It has several distortion/overdrive levels. It has Blues od/dist. Crunch od/dist. Metal od/dist and Insane od/dist. It also has two different clean chanells and two different "twang" channels. The clean is too clean for me and insane it too dirty, but that's just my opinion. And it has the whole spectrum of sounds so you can tailor it to your wishes. It also has six different effects. They are in groups of three. There is Phaser, chorus, and tremollo in one group, and tape delay, digital delay and sweep echo in the other group. You can tailor the fx and dist. To your tastes and then program them onto each channel. It also comes with an option of two foot pedals, a scroll right/left one for 40$ or a 4 button and wah/volume pedal for 140$. The only problem I have with it is the buzz caused by my single coils but that's the price you pay. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can totally depend on this amp. The only problems that I had so far are with my cables and that was my fault. I gig with it without a backup and it is pretty solid so I don't think that it will break on me anytime soon. It is a great solid-state amp and it is extremely reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: I play blues and rock and this amp matches these all well. If this amp were stolen or lost I probably would not buy it again if I could afford something more specific to my tastes like a Fender bandmaster but otherwise I would definitively buy it again. Maybe even a louder more powerful one like the 75watt. I can compare this amp to the Vox valvetronix ac30 and it sounds the same, if not better. I wish it had a post EQ noise reducer for the strat singlecoil buzz but otherwise it rocks! // 9

Spider IV 30 Reviewed by: Acap0624, on february 11, 2011

Features: The amp was probably made in 09. The amp is pretty versatile (even though not every sound you get out of it is enjoyable). It has 12 different sounds and 4 progamable user preset channels. No effects loop. It does have a headphone jack. Its got a whole bunch of on board of efects. Chorus flange, phaser, tremolo, delay, sweep echo, tape echo, and good ol' reverp. All of which sound terrible. I used it for practice and to try to play over a drummer once. It didn't have enough power to get over a drummer and still sound good. It is solid state. // 8

Sound: I have a Schecter Damien-6. I changed the pickups to Seymour Duncan Distortion's. I play metal, metalcore, deathcore, and love to mess around with blues. The amp is never noisy, since it has an on board noise gate. The amp has 12 different sounds, none of which pleased me though. The cleans were okay. But not spectacular. The blues channel was useless to me because I used the clean channel with a little bit of grot for that. The crunch channel sounded absolutely terrible. Couldnt get that good ol' Marshall crunch sound out of it. The metal red channel is ehhh. No 6505, 5150, or Dual Rec. But somewhat tolerable. The metal green is useless since the mids sound terrible if you have the knob at anywhere other than 12'0'clock. The insane channels suck. Too much gain. The green insane channel had a weird fart-ish sound whenever I palm muted and chugged a little. Since it's a 3/4 closed back cab, high gain channels sound kind of blah. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Hasn't broken or not worked ever. I wouldn't use it at a gig since it's only 30 watts. Pretty reliable due to the fact its solid state. Construction isnt the best, though. I can't see it lasting a lot longer. It probably wont work in 10-20 years. They don't make stuff like they used to. // 7

Overall Impression: I hate it now. Once I got a 6505+ (I'll be getting a mesa recto cab soon, can't wait!) I haven't really touched it except to take it apart. It sounds terrible. I've played for 3 years, but I'm a gear head and I'm obbsessed with getting new gear. Over all, if you're learning to play guitar and are trying to find what genre you want to play and stick with, this isnt a bad amp. But if you like to sound good, it is. I hated the sound. I cringe when I go to local shows and i see kids with spider heads and cabs. It's terrible. // 4

Spider IV 30 Reviewed by: yousef213, on february 24, 2012

Purchased from: Gutiar Center

Features: This amp, being that is a digital amp, was made to be filled with effects. It has 4 programmable channels, EQ, chorus/flanger (unfortunately no regular chorus), phaser, tremolo, delay, echoes, reverb, tuner, headphone jack. This amp basically has it all, except nothing that it has sounds all that good. The factory settings on the programmable channels are pretty bad, but you can change them. You first dial in your own setting then press and hold which channel (A, B, C, or D) to program it into. I just use one clean channel and another as clean with reverb because my distortion pedal (Jekyll And Hyde) FAR outclasses this amps distortion. Basically this amp has a ton of effects, but each has so little controllability that they are worthless. In addition, there is no way to readily switch channels without buying a $100 pedal that should have come with the amp. This amp has a pretty decent clean sound, despite it being a digital amp. Another annoying feature is how sensitive the master volume knob is. I will give features a 7 because it can be useful to starting guitarists before they want to dish out $50 or more per effect. // 7

Sound: I use an Ibanez 350DX with a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde pedal (amazing pedal by the way) and I play all kinds of rock, from Beatles to Led Zeppelin, to Green Day. I also play christian rock at my church. I basically none of the amps built in effects, other than reverb, because the distortion sounds really bad (so I can't have a bit on all the time) and there is no other effect that you can really leave on the whole time. The clean channel, as I said before, is pretty good considering it is a digital amp. The amp also advertises being able to distort at low volumes (unlike tube amps), however the distortion sounds really bad until you turn the volume up. I am not sure if this is my pedal or the amp itself. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp has never failed me. However I would not take this amp to a gig because its sound quality is not that good. I have played tis amp everyday for about a year and this amp has never messed up. Being a fidigital amp, it can take much more abuse than a tube amp. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is an okay match for my style, but most effects go unused. It was my first electric guitar amp, so I did not have the experience to know that a smaller tube amp would be better. If I lost this amp, I would probably go and buy a Fender tube amp. This amp may have been better if a channel switching footswitch was included with the amp. // 7

Spider IV 30 Reviewed by: rebornmaster9, on april 14, 2011

Features: I've had my Line 6 for almost a year now, and its gonna be hard to write an unbiased review, but I'll give it a try. The Line 6 Spider IV 30 is a versatile, powerful, and durable amp. It comes with 6 different settings ranging from clean to insane. All settings have 2 separate tones and all of them can be tweaked to your desire. You also get 4 channels you can save your tones in and can be accessed by simply hitting the button or using the petal. You also get a few effects along with it, you get a flanger/ chorus, a phaser, and a tremolo effect. You also get a digital delay, a tape echo, and a sweep echo. This amp comes with loads of features that cater to every guitarist. // 9

Sound: As a metal guitarist this amp delivers, the metal and insane settings work for every form of rock and metal you could think of. The clean and twang work well for your quiet passages and weather channel music. Play an LTD ex-50 and an Ibanez RG gio through it and I get the best metal tone I have ever heard. I also use a Fender strat through it and get a nice clean tone. A problem I've had with past amps is if I bring up the volume to high my tone starts to give out, not with this amp, you could blast it on 10 and you get the same sound you get on 3. Its powered by a celestion speaker and all I have to say is its the best speaker I have ever used, the only 2 complaints I can think of is the crunch could have been a little better and this amp can hold against a drum set, but not as well as say a 75 watt amp, I wouldn't advise cranking up to 10 to often. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp can and will get you through what ever you throw at it and has never broken down on me or messed up in anyway, but thats also cause I take care of it like its a newborn child, and regularly inspect it and make sure everything is in working order. // 10

Overall Impression: I played a Spider III in my guitar class and decided that I wanted one of my own, well I was blown out of the water when I played this model, it sounds well for all my different styles of music and has never let me down, I wish the build in tuner was chromatic so I could keep my tune on low tunings but I have a tuner for that so its not a big deal, if someone had the nerve to steal this amp, I'd take a baseball bat to there face and knees. I see myself in the future buying a bigger Line 6 amp to piss my neighbors off even more, the only thing I wish I had was the petal that goes with it, I've used one a few times and it makes life SO much easier, over all I give this amp a 9 and thats cause I'm not biased at all. // 9

Spider IV 30 Reviewed by: prosong12345, on september 07, 2011

Price paid: C$ 249.99

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: Line 6 Spider IV 30-watt amp, made in the late 21st century, is one of the most basic, yet versatile, do-it-all amp. It features up to 4 channels with 12 distortion models, 2 per effects; Clean, Twang, Blues, Crunch, Metal, and finally, Insane. Just like a normal 30-watt amp, it is more than enough to use in almost anywhere; a private dormitory, small gigs such as BOB, etc. This amp is a solid transistor amp, most able to withstand a lot of distortion abuse. I use almost every single features on this amp, due to the fact that I concentrate on almost every single music genres, from classic rock to modern heavy metal, this amp does just about anything. While others buy separate effect pedals, I'd buy this do-it-all amp. The features I wish it had were an on-board expression pedal, so that I could create controlled wah-wah effects, and the ability to easily toggle channels and distortion levels without having to re-adjust the tone controls. // 8

Sound: The guitar I use is a Fender Jaguar HH, equipped with Dragster pickups (produced by Seymour Duncan), this amp is useful for just about everything, from soft jazz to heavy metal, although I mostly play heavy metal. The amp is normally noisy when you only switch the amp models and/or channels without re-adjusting the tone controls, or if you are within a controlled, small area. If you are in an outer area, then the sound is similar to a 15-watt amp, which is small. Channels and amp models alone, you are limited up to 6 amp models, but with tone controls, there are many ways to customize the sounds. Myself, I maintain my controls as follows to protect the transistor: Drive (Gain): 75% Bass: 25% Mid: 50% Treble: 75% Channel Volume: 62.5% Reverb: 50% Clean channel is very slightly distorted at high volume/gain, but is not enough to affect the entire amp system. Also, the distortion is EXTREMELY brutal, EVEN WITH using single-coil pickups of a Fender Stratocaster I've tested back in the market. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amplifier is most reliable from all amps I've tested back in the market. I'd really love to use this amp in a gig without a backup, assuming that the transistor is still in good condition. This amp has never broken down on me, and it never will. Other than a few simple adjustments, I never had to do any extra hacks on this amp. This amplifier screams on you to rock on even more! // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play almost every single music genre imaginable, and this amp is a perfect do-it-all amp compared to other amplifiers I've seen in store. I've been playing with this amp for over 3-4 months now, starting from when I've popped my First Act amp while I played an Ibanez RG350MZ. Before getting this amp, I would've asked for a Roland Cube-30 amp or a Fender G-DEC amp, but this Line 6 amp had more top-notch features than those amps. If this amp was stolen or lost, I'd search the entire universe to find the amp back, even if it means of getting rid of anyone who stole my amplifier. I love this amp's top-notch do-it-all feature, but Line 6 should have more control over tone controls when switching amp models/channels. Comparing from other amps in market, Line 6 amps had better top-notch features. The only thing I'm wishing this amp had? On-board expression pedal and the tone control customization. // 9

Spider IV 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 05, 2010

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: Mother's Music

Features: This 30 watt solid state amp comes with 4 savable channels. 12 different amp models, seperated into 6 categories. Clean, Twang, Blues, Crunch, Metal, and Insane. All with overdrive and distortion channels (red and green lights.) It has a headphone jack, line out cable plug in, built in tuner, and can be used with pedals. The recommended pedals are Line 6 pedals. It has 6 different effects. Flanger, phaser, and tremolo on one knov. Delay, tape echo, and sweep echo on the other. It comes with Drive (gain) treble, middle, bass, and reverb. Plus two volume knobs, master and channel. This amp is great for what I use it for, in my room I use it at very low volume with my ipod plugged in and it never falters. I also use it with my friend while he drums. I use it at just above 1/4 volume and it stands up well against the drums. // 9

Sound: I play my ESP LTD Alexi 200 with its stock pickup (will be replaced for EMG ALX HZ soon) and it really works well with the amp and my style. I play predominantly metal with the odd clean song tossed in there when I'm bored. It works perfect for me, I have played my guitar recital with it and it blew away all the other amps there. The distortion is amazing for what I play, and on the Line 6 website I can find the perfect settings for what I need. I usually use the "LAid to Rest" setting or the "Nemisis" settings. (Yes Lamb of God and Arch Enemy) It has never failed me at high volumes, and it really keeps its sound quality no matter what I'm playing through the Ipod. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have smacked the amp on a few walls and car doors as I transport it from my room, to the car, to various houses. Only one mark but that's the price you pay. I can depend on it for sure and I would gig without a backup. Its never broken down even though I don't take the greatest care of it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and it is great for it. I have been playing for about 7 years, only seriously for about a year and a half now. I play it with my ESP LTD Alexi 200. If it were stolen I would probably buy the 75 watt version, because, well power is great. I love the variety of sounds I can get and the help I get on the settings from the website is great. With my last amp I could never find good settings. I hate the tuner on it though, I can never seem to understand what it's trying to tell me. I haven't really tried it much though. My favourite feature is the line in cable plug in. I like to solo over my ipod and I don't have a stereo that can match this amps power so being able to plug them both into one is great. I wasn't available to compare it to other products but I'm sure I would have stuck with it. I wish it had a few more savable channels because I love having as many options as I can. // 9

Spider IV 30 Reviewed by: OwenFrusciante, on february 10, 2011

Purchased from: Electro Music

Features: Made in 2010, this amp has 4 channels that you can preset, which is a good feature, as when used with the extra FBV footswitch you can quickly swap between four different sounds mid song. Its quite a versatile amp, excels in the choice it gives with effects. However, it doesn't give particularly good effects, all are mediocre, and its impossible to get any tone out of this amp. It is very dull and monotone, and the EQ on it doesn't really make much of a difference. Perfect for beginners to use at home, but struggles at high volume to make any discernable sound, just sounds like mush on high volume distortion. // 5

Sound: I use a Fender Strat and a Tele on this, and play all kinds of music. For practicing at home quietly, I find this amp convenient when I can't be bothered to fire up the old Marshall Valve, but it shouldn't really be used for band practice or gigging. Distortion is ok, but the clean becomes really muddy at high volumes, and trust me, I have fiddled around with the settings for hours on end. This was my first proper amp, and would recommend it to anyone for their first amp, but nothing more. For the job it is designed for, its pretty good. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Never broken down, never had any problems with it in a year of use, no drop in tone or anything, would give this a 10 but I really wouldn't gig on it, and feel shame for the people who do. Although if your on a tight budget, what else can you do? The FBV footswitch is a pretty cool little cheap channel selector, and I got it for 20 which is ok I guess. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock, alternate rock, think of all the styles the Chili peppers play, and also tiny amount of metal and Acoustic fingerpicking and the like. For the versatility I needed when I first started playing, it was perfect, but as I now own a decent size pedalboard I have all the effects I need. I now rarely use this, and I wouldn't buy it again if it were lost, as I have outgrown it. Perfect amp for a beginner, but really wouldn't like to gig on it. // 6

Spider IV 30 Reviewed by: fishmunky, on february 15, 2011

Price paid: C$ 100

Purchased from: Long And McQuade

Features: Not sure when it was made, but its the newest model so sometime in the last 2 years I imagine, I'll be the first to put it out there, I like the Line 6 stuff, I like the versatility, as I'm primarily a guy who plays at home having an amp that deal with my general musical schizophrenia just by using the little pedal board my Fiancee bought me is pretty nice. I Jam with some guys from work, and the musical styling is all over the map so having something that can do cake, the cure, the darkness and tom petty without buying a mess of stomp boxes or costing me a couple of grand is a pretty sweet idea. It's a digital modelling amp, and that's more or less what what I use it for, if you take advantage of the tips that Line six has on their site in terms of messing with the channels and what not there's a lot of emulation you can make happen. I'm not saying it'll beat out a Marshall or Mesa or whatever amp suits you're playing style better, but if you like having some quick and dirty versatility this amp is excels in that area All that being said, there are definite issues with the presets, the cleans out of the box are too bright for pretty mch anyone to use, and the insane channel while great for the lauhs and masking of flaws it provides, is way too saturated on the distortion to reasonably use anywhere outside of your own bedroom // 8

Sound: currently I'm playing a early 2000 model Jackson RR3 and a 2003 Peavey Wolfgang through the amp, while my sensibilities tend to run on the harder edge, using each guitar through various setting can let you emulate a wide variety of tones. The amp rarely lets me down or prevents me from finding the setting I want, and while I'm not normally cranking it at 10, there's never a noise issue, unless I'm at practice and the terrible microphones are causing feedback again for me the key is to able to switch sounds and setting without having to do much tinkering, so I like the amp for that reason, being able to play pop, to rock, to metal, to country without really messing around is a great ability for style of playing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: These things are tanks, I've dropped this thing more times than I care to count but it keeps on trucking, no issues with reliability. While the knock on them is that they may not be the greatest sounding amps, no one will accuse them of being poorly constructed or fragile. Being solid state means never having to worry about tubes, and the breaking and care that is implied with that. // 9

Overall Impression: Stylistically this Amp does everything I want it to do, I think the Spiders get a bad rap for all the uber-metal kids who crank on the insane channel and pull the look what I can do stuff, but the reality looks like this, if you take the time to learn about this amp and how to properly use its features, its a great toy to have. This isn't going to be the last amp I ever buy, its highly unlikely I'll play shows with this amp, but for messing around with some buddies or in your home this thing is hard to beat for being able to mix things up. It might not be the popular choice for "serious" guitar players, but what I play I could ask for a more agreeable amp at an agreeable price. // 9

Spider IV 30 Reviewed by: TylerM262, on june 24, 2011

Features: Its a 4 channel solid state modeling amp. It suits my needs (I play mostly metal, rock, classic rock). It has a choice of 3 delays (Reg Delay, Tape Echo, and Sweep Echo) and/or 3 Effects (Chorus Flange, Phaser, Tremolo). It has a tempo tap button, which activates the tuner when held, that sets the tempo (loop speed) for the the effects. I don't play live, I'm soon to buy a Peavey 6505+ combo for live play, but it gets loud enough for my bedroom. // 8

Sound: I use a Dean C250T, or a Dean Vendetta 2.0 through it. The amp can make just about any sound I can think of, I've gotten blues, clean, 4 kinds of dirty tones. If you want a good clean tone det the amp model knob on Red Crunch and kill the gain. It has a great Marshall vibe to it. "How brutal is the distortion?" LOL. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'm not gonna use it for a gig as it is onle 30 watts, but If I had to, I would. I've spilt drinks on it on multiple occasion and its fine. I'd say its sturdy. // 9

Overall Impression: Said previously I play Metal and Rock. I've played for 1.5 to 2 years depends how you look at it. I should have gotten a tube amp. It it were stolen I'd be pissed caues I just got the footpedal for it. I wish I had compared it to other products. // 7

Spider IV 30 Reviewed by: JamesEatWorld, on july 18, 2011

Purchased from: PMT Bristol

Features: The Amp is very versatile, with 12 different preset distortion options covering most genres pretty well, and 4 custom channels that can be saved for easier access. It comes with various delay effects and phaser based effects, but in honesty I rarely use them, preferring a less "gimmicky" sound from my amp, but that's just personal preference. One of the best features this amp has is a slot for a 3.5 mm jack, meaning with a male to male lead you can play your music through your ipod on this amp, this sounds fantastic and goes pretty loud. It also has a headphone slot which is also useful. I use this for practicing both with and without the band, but I would not use it for gigging, if it was a bit more powerful sure, but 30w is not enough for an event. // 9

Sound: When playing with my band, I use an Ibanez SA260FM, with a HSS set up, and rack up some distortion. This sounds great, works really well for practices, but could do with being a little louder. I also use an SG (twin humbuckers) and my custom stratocaster (HSS) these also work very well for all other genres. I play hardcore with the band but also play lots of ska and Indie for fun, and the amps cleaner setting work great. The feedback can be a bit of a problem, but can be solve by turning down the Drive a little, otherwise the squeals can be pretty deafening. The various range of styles this amp can cover is very impressive, and I would recommend this to anyone, but especially metal heads. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is very reliable, I travel a lot with it and it hasn't broken down on me yet. I wouldn't gig with it, as 30w just isn't loud enough, but if it were louder I wouldn't have a problem with gigging with it. Reliability is not an issue for it. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is great for everything I play, and the versatility of it is unrivaled in my opinion, it saves me having to have a couple of amps to get the sound I want. To be honest, I wish I got a more powerful amp, to get louder when playing with my band, however for personal use it is fine; and more than enough for a practice amp. If it were stolen or lost, I would definately buy a Line 6 spider, but I might possibly get another model, just to shake it up, and definitely get one 75w+. I love its 3.5 mm jack slot, that is VERY useful, and I occasionally use it at parties and such. This amp is a bargain and definately worth the buy, but consider something louder, its my only fault with it. // 9

Spider IV 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 18, 2011

Price paid: € 190

Purchased from: Rock'n'Roll Katowice

Features: I bought this amp in December 2010. It's my first amp, cause I've played the classical guitar before. I play classic rock. Something like Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles or Jimi Hendrix. The amp has 12 different amp models and four user preset channels. The sounds are: clean red/green, twang red/green, blues red/green, crunch red/green, metal red/green and insane red/green. It has a headphone jack output and no effects loop. The amp has a whole bunch of effects: flanger/chorus, phaser, tremolo, delay, tape echo, sweep echo and reverb. I never use the tremolo so I can't tell how does it sound. But the other effects are pretty good, especially reverb and delay. The amp has 30 watts, what is enough for me, since I'm more a singer than a guitarist. But my friend used it and it was perfect for the gig. // 9

Sound: I play the Brian May Guitars Red Special. It has 3 Burns Tri-Sonic, which are single coils. It suits my music style almost perfectly, I only have trouble while playing Jimi Hendrix. I simply can't get the sound right. I found really nice settings to do the solos and to do the AC/DC kind of music. The amp is really versatile and does great job. I have comparison, since I played also the Epiphone Les Paul Standard through this amp. It also fitted really great. In my opinion, one of better sounding solid state amps. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The whole thing looks pretty solid. I have the amp for 8 months and I've had no problems with it what'soever. I would use it on a gig without backup. It has fallen quite often and I sat on it when my strap broke and it looks brand new. It's unbelievably reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock like Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix or Rush and it's really a good match. I've been playing for over 3 years but I've got an electric guitar for 8 months. I have a Brian May Guitars Red Special and a Vox Pathfinder 10. If it were stolen I would buy it again or get a tube amp. The greatest thing about this amp is the versatility. The worst is in my opinion the built-in tuner which isn't really clear for me. I compared it to the Laney Prism P20 and Vox DA20. I chose this one because it had more power and sounded just as good. // 9

Spider IV 30 Reviewed by: amijayt, on april 20, 2012

Purchased from: GAK.com

Features: Bought this brand new from GAK (Guitar Amp Keyboards) online. The Spider IV was my first amp, and I was told it was a 'good starter amp'. It has a wheel to choose one of 6 amp options, 12 if you include the dirty/clear option for each of these. 3 of them are clean channels (clean, twang, and blues, although blues can also be distorted) and 3 are distorted (crunch, metal, and insane). It has a very simple setup for an amp like this, losing the small computer panel that appeared on the III and IV 75w and opting to just use knobs to choose your effects. It works off presets, but one thing I noticed is how unreliable they could be: they never sounded exactly like I'd set them once turned on and off, and if you saved them with any of the effects active, the effect would be changed when turned on again (example: the tremolo setting would no longer be active, except it was audible separately in the background). Obviously this became very annoying, but is not too bad because the effects themselves are terrible. It has 3 primary effects: chorus flange, phaser, and tremolo. The chorus flange is alright but nothing special. The phaser is WAY too loud, drowning out whatever you are playing, and the tremolo is too slow and sounds bad anyway. The delay settings, due to them not being editable, are not great either, and the ones I was hoping to use most (just plain 'delay' and 'tape echo') were again, too slow. However the reverb is actually not bad at all, and with a bit of patience I got a nice psychedelic sort of sound when mixing the reverb and 'sweep echo' delay. Overall this amp's features are not user-friendly enough to bother playing with but if you really have to, you can probably get something you like out of it. // 5

Sound: I played through this first with a Westfield SG replica I bought second-hand, and I have also played through it with my current guitar, an American Standard Telecaster. When I first started playing it, I was instantly put off by the muddy 'clean' channel, I had a hard time getting a nice sound out of it, and from the times I used it to practice with a band it was tinny and weak. The other clean channels are barely worth mentioning, with 'twang' being way too quiet, even though 'blues' was occasionally satisfying. The 3 distorted channels are also not really worth mentioning: 'crunch' has no depth to it, 'metal' doesn't really sound THAT metal and 'insane' is obviously limited in use, but was the one I used most prominently. After a few months I realised I needed a pedal so bought the obvious choice of a Boss DS-1, which made my replica SG actually sound pretty cool when put through the clean channel. However obviously this instantly makes all the other settings completely useless, with me only using the clean channel with the pedal. The amp is pretty quiet even for a 30w, especially the twang setting. Even though I have since replaced it with a Fender Mustang III, it still makes appearances at band practices when we have no other choice. My band plays a mix of music rooted in punk, but also drawing inspiration from general rock and alternative, reggae, ska, and some other styles where I require to switch between clean and distorted. In all honesty, I hate using this amp for practices and it often hinders my playing. Very glad I upgraded as it would not handle a gig at all. In terms of sound and variety, this amp really is weak. // 3

Reliability & Durability: It seems fairly durable although I couldn't really say because I haven't exactly taken it many places, but it seems sturdy enough to I'll give it credit for that. It hasn't broken down on me ever (unlike my bandmates' Spider III which often breaks down mid-practice...) but again I can't really say because I haven't used it in many different environments. // 6

Overall Impression: To be frank, this amp has never left me feeling fulfilled or particularly excited after a long jam. The only good sounds I ever got out of it was through my DS-1 pedal. It would have been nice if I'd not been so brash and just bought it from one friend's recommendation, but I was pretty naive when first starting out with guitar. I should have saved a bit more and just bought the Fender Mustang III straight off the bat and not wasted 160 pounds. If you are just starting out, I suggest not buying a 'flashy' effects-based amp, and just get yourself a nice basic solid state Laney practice amp or something and maybe a pedal too, you will get a lot more mileage out of that than with this thing. If it got stolen would I buy it again? Most definitely not. I'm giving it a 3, and personally I think that's being pretty generous. // 3

Spider IV 30 Reviewed by: kaelinksmith, on july 22, 2013

Price paid: C$ 199.99

Purchased from: Guitarworks

Features: I purchased this amp on Boxing Day of 2011, so I would assume that the amp was made in the same year. This amp is very versatile, and is able to fit many of the different styles of music that I enjoy playing. The amp has one channel since it is a combo amp, and therefore it wouldn't have channel switching. The amp has some cool built in effects such as tremolo, chorus flange, sweep echo and delay. You can also purchase a pedal made specifically for this amp that allows you to easily browse through the effects. This amp has an output jack that can be used for headphones, however, it is a 6.35mm jack, so you will need to purchase an adapter to a 3.5mm jack. I wish that this amp had an effect much like a chorus pedal, but for the price of the amp, the effect are plentiful. I use all the features on this amp, some much more than others, but some are really fun to just mess around and experiment with. I use this amp at home by myself, and also use it a lot to Jam with my friends. I have also used it a few times in talent shows, and it has an easy time keeping up. I was surprised at how much power it had. // 8

Sound: I play a little bit of everything on this amp, and it adapts very well. I enjoy lots of '90s alternative stuff, such as Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc. Sometimes I feel that that the amp is a little bit too noisy when I want to play clean, and sometimes even with distortion, which doesn't sound very well. The amp can produce a wide variety of sound, from heavy metal distortion, to clean and calm, or twangy country music. The reverb on the amp also sounds really well. The clean channel can also sound a little bit distorted, and too noisy at high volumes, and sometimes even when I'm not playing at high volumes I feel this way. The distortion on this amp is radical, and it sounds really good on each of the different settings. The distortion isn't to brutal, but it still packs quite a big punch. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have only used this amp in two small talent show gigs, but I feel like I could depend on it if I were to play bigger shows as well. I would use it on a gig without backup, mostly because I don't have enough money to have an actual backup amp, but I don't think I would feel the need to have a backup. Besides, with this amp, I don't think you would be able to play to a huge crowd of people anyways. If you plan on doing so, you might want to invest in a larger tube amp head. The amp has never broken down, but I feel that the sound quality has decreased somewhat, which might also be a result of my guitar, although I've never tested this theory. I have never had it serviced, or felt the need too, and don't really know what would be serviced, as it is a solid state amplifier. // 6

Overall Impression: I play many different styles of music from hard rock to grunge and heavy metal, and even a little bit of country. This amp seems to be a good versatile match to each of these styles, although it fits some better than others. I have been playing guitar for nearly two years now, and I have had this amp from the day I bought my first electric guitar, which was early January of 2012. This is the only amp I own beside a Fender Rumble 15 bass amplifier. I wish I would have asked more about the sound quality of this amplifier, because as I got better and better at guitar, I became more dissatisfied with the sound quality and the noisiness of the amp. If the amp was lost or stolen, I would not invest in a combo amp at all, but would invest in a tube amp head, which is more higher end, and more toward what I would like to do. I love that this amp is very versatile, and sound pretty good for the relatively cheap price. I also love the many cool features it has. I didn't compare this amp to any other products, besides other amps in store, as this was my first amp and I honestly didn't know anything about guitar amplifiers at the time. // 7

Spider IV 30 Reviewed by: parhelia_0000, on march 05, 2014

Price paid: C$ 249

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: Made in the year 2010, the Line 6 Spider IV 30 is a digital modelling amp which includes onboard preamps, modulations, and delays to suit a beginner guitarist for their most basic needs. It allows you to save up to four presets (A through D) of guitar sounds that you can easily tweak with a little bit of practice.

I purchased this amp back when I was in Grade 9 (3 and a half years before I wrote this review), especially when I didn't know anything about guitar amps. Back then, it took me quite a while to fully understand how to tweak the control knobs to get the sound I need. I also found the modulation and delay varieties to be quite limiting compared to other guitar amps on the market. Other than that, everything else on the amp is very basic compared to other solid state amps (Treble, Bass, Volume, etc.). This amp does not allow manual use of the control knobs except for the Master Volume; you'd have to change the presets all the time in order to get more varieties than the four presets you've saved. The distortion preamps come with default settings for gain and tone; you cannot tweak any of the tone settings, although you can manage to work around it somehow. Overall, this amp does not seem to contain a user-friendly nature, but at the very least, manages to provide a basic setting for amateurs to tweak their basic sounds for their needs. // 7

Sound: I play a variety of genres (predominantly power metal), and I use a Fender Jaguar HH with this amp. I just recently bought a footswitch for this amp and tweaked my custom sounds into the guitar amp's four channels. The clean sounds work great; I have seen no issues playing funk or clean blues so far. The distortion and overdrive sounds, however, do not fare as well. All gain channels have a medium noise gain on by default (there is a way to turn it off but I unfortunately lost my manual), and the sound quality seems to contain way too much digital programming that further degrades the quality of the distorted sound compared to the genuine stompbox distortions. Because of this, I frequently have a hard time trying to do hammer-ons/pull-offs, sweep pickings, and speed shredding without the use of effect pedals placed between the guitar and the amp. During the years when I used to have the Zoom G2.1Nu (now decommisioned from my gear due to repair issues) with this amp, I had to use the compression and boost from the processor if I wanted to use the Spider IV's onboard distortion modules. Increasing the master volume of the amp partially solves the problem, but I still have a hard time pulling off complex guitar solos from many famous musicians such as Yngwie Malmsteen and Syu (Galneryus). I now only use the clean channel, and once I get my new set of guitar effects to use with the amp, I plan to discontinue the usage of the onboard distortion modules. Because of the inferior preamp settings and lack of tone, I am rating this a 4. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Despite the lack of good sound quality, the Line 6 Spider IV 30's disadvantages are compensated by its superior reliability. I've used this guitar amp in a total of 8 gigs so far, and none of the amp's transistors have failed ever since. The hardware has lasted very long, and it can be used without a backup amp, despite the fact that it has undergone two power surges. The construction of the amp is well-designed to withstand average human weight, although I would never stand on it. // 10

Overall Impression: As I mentioned before, I play a variety of genres, although I mostly play power metal. I've been using this guitar amp ever since I began to learn how to play guitar for real when I was back in Grade 9 in high school. Because I didn't know much about the guitar amps before I bought the Line 6 amp, I had a hard time trying to cope with this amp's lack of user-friendliness and inferior tone quality. Ironically, this guitar amp definitely withstands major abuses without fail. It has served me quite well to this day, and I probably am planning to keep on using it for the time being until either it reaches its breaking point and malfunctions, or I gain enough money to replace it with a better amp.

Many people who have given a negative rating to this guitar amp mentioned that the quality of the gain sounds were unfixable. The answer I would give to them is this: keep the amp's presets on CLEAN mode, and just simply run any guitar effects you may have in replacement of the Spider IV's distortions. (Don't forget to add Compression and Boost if you need the extra gain.) If this amp was stolen or lost, I'd definitely updrage to a better solid-state amp, but for now, until this amp gives up on me, I'd have to be satisfied with what I have. Overall, I am rating this a 6 because I may be somewhat satisfied with it for now, but there's always gonna be another amp that will suit me ways better than this... Perhaps a Roland amp next time? // 6

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review