Spider Valve 112 Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 03/18/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Line 6: Spider Valve 112
A perfect storm for guitarists, the Spider Valve 112 features a Spider III engine mated in perfect harmony to a genuine tube amplifier designed by famed amp man Reinhold Bogner for unmatched performance and responsiveness. The amp is built around 2 12AX7 preamp tubes and 2 6L6 power tubes.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Features: 8.7
 8.3
 8.8
 7.8
reviews (6) pictures (2) 55 comments vote for this gear:
Spider Valve 112 Reviewed by: metal jello, on april 08, 2009

Purchased from: used

Features: I play a Gibson Explorer and I play rock, classic rock, blues, and some metal. For all of those styles this amp delivers. Any tone you want can be dialed in with the 12 amp models, 7 FX, reverb, and built in overdrive. You get 36 user presets to save your favorite tones. This amp's list of goodies includes= tube power amp, Celestion Vintage 30 speaker, built in tuner, built in overdrive, built in noise suppressor, cab outputs, direct output for recording or PA, and FX loop. I play Live with my band, and this amp rips through with ease. With the channel volume at noon and master at 4, I can get over a drummer no sweat. // 10

Sound: I typically play hard rock and classic rock. I use the Metal Blue model with all controls set to noon. Very gritty, clear, and tight Soldano type crunch sound. No extra noise thanks to the built-in noise suppressor. I get amazingly warm and tight clean tones with the Clean Blue model. Very clear even at high volumes. The Metal and Insane models are sinister. Gain beyond mercy. Shredders and metal heads will love this very crunchy and suprising clear tone. The modulation effects are horrible though. The models are amazing though. Any tone you want is available if you spend the time to tweak it out and crank up the volume. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I bought this amp used and it still looks amazing. The entire amp is built very sturdy and looks great. The only problem is the knobs are very flimsy. Be careful. I'm looking to find some sturdier knobs that I can put on my SV to be safe. No service problems so far, it's holdin up. Just don't be an idiot with it, and you're good to go. Excellent construction. Also, it doesn't rattle. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, hard rock, and some metal now and then. I play a Gibson Explorer and the two sound great together. I have no regrets getting this amp. it's monsterous. I would buy another in a heartbeat. My favorite feature is either the built-in noise suppressor or the built-in tuner. They are life savers! Amazing flexibility, amazing tone, and reliable. Great amp for anyone. Get it, that's all I have to say. // 10

Spider Valve 112 Reviewed by: Shortbus82, on february 18, 2008

Features: Well I've had this thing about two months, and compared to amps I've had in the past this has lots of features. Normally I would never buy Line 6 anything but this is cool. The response is good with a couple guitars I play, and the built in tuner is good for goofing, I don't think is super accurate though. You definitely can dial just about any guitar sound in, unless you are sitting on a music room full of boutique amps. Then, of course it would not be up to par. I also like just turning knobs and getting instant feedback. I hate having to navigate menu's to find something. I've also found that there is a bunch of hidden tricks to this amp, like tubescreamer sound, or EVH MXR tones. // 7

Sound: I'm using my trusty SG menace with the brutal stock pickups. I play mostly heavy stuff, but experiment with all the tones. Of course at full grind it's noisy but there's a noise reduction gate in the programming just for that, which works like a champ. The variety of sounds is like a POD which is pretty versatile, but the tube section takes those crappy, stale tones and makes em Bogner worthy. I say that because my friend has a Bogner to similar stature as this amp and he says it sounds good, he's a recording and Live sound guy who knows his stuff. With my Gibson it can get a little raunchy at high volume on clean, which I like, but still pretty clean considering the type of guitar I have. Might not be for Matchless users. Pearly Gates pickups or Tele's would probably sound really good. Considering I've played my guitar, and an EMG equipped guitar the insane and metal setting is pretty damn brutal. Just as good as any pedal in front of a single channel tube amp. Shred and metal tones are easily acheieved. Line 6 says that the crunch setting on the Orange with a certain mid knob tweek will get the EVH "brown sound" (I can't remember which color on the knob, Orange or blue), I think that it could be but Who on this planet can lock down the "brown sound", nuff said. Sounds good recording also. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Here's where my problem lies. My first one from Musician's Friend showed up DOA, and the grill was jacked. The replacement I recieved was working fine until I heard this awful noise. Come to find out, the tubes we tweaked from shipping. Line 6 walked me through it, I reset the tubes, everything is gravy. I've had it on the road since then, which has been about a month and no problems. Line 6 is good at their warranty Status no matter who you get it from (they are sending me new tubes to be installed). But it's relative because I couldnt imagine how many times it's gotten bumped, kicked, dropped, or anything else being shipped through the popular shipping companies. There's Sovtek tubes in there and I know for sure that those tubes are bullet proof. I'm giving it a 6 because of the crap I had to go through, but sine that it's hanging in there, I'll let you know. // 6

Overall Impression: For my metal stuff it's good, but I like to play and learn all types of stuff, so for that this amp does the job. I'm not going to give you a biased review because I don't work for or have used line6 but I've had a couple of marshalls, and fenders which I have wrecked from playing forever. But for the price, this is really a good tube amp. I've been playing for 10 years and have played or heard all the good old or new stuff, which is still a dream of mine to own. Ultimately I really like this amp, I wouldn't hunt anyone down if it's stolen because I have such a kick ass guitar (which someone would die if stolen) but it will be my workhorse for a while (live and otherwise). I wish it came with a foot pedal, but hey it's all good. I couldn't afford the Krank, Bogner Ubershall, Mesa anything, and I'm through with Marshalls. If your looking for boutique sound for cheap, just step back because you get what you pay for. I'm rating the overall at 8 beacuse it does what I need it to do, sound and otherwise and the service available lasts for a while, so why not. Anyone Who has not at least tried this amp out should not apply to judge it. Also, if your a tone snob, keep kickin out the uber bucks. // 8

Spider Valve 112 Reviewed by: Axelfox, on december 16, 2011

Purchased from: Dan's guitars

Features: I think it was made in 2008. I like it, I play metal and metalcore and it fits the mode right. It has 4 channels, and amp settings from clean to Insane. It's a good tube amp.It also has two power tubes and two preamp tubes and the amp can really roar. It is a good amp right now. // 7

Sound: I'm using a Ibanez GIO GSA60 with it and it sounds good. It suits my style of playing which is metal and it does it well on the blue metal setting on the amp. I once turned the channel volume to 3 and the master volume to 4 and it got real loud. The distortion is good, I will get the shortboard which has the distortion boost, it's impossible to turn on the amp. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Right now it's a good amp to me, I might get something better in the future. It hasn't broken down yet, though I probably will replace the tubes on the amp later on.I've dropped the amp once and it is still working, and I moved and still it is working good. It is a durable amp. // 7

Overall Impression: I play metal and it is a good match for me, because it has a lot of gain on the blue metal setting, of course you may need to tweak the amp a bit to get the sound you want out of it. I've been playing for two years and it is a very good amp. I wish this amp came with the shortboard, but I'll get that later on. If it was stolen or lost I would try to get another amp, probably a Mesa. I like the distortion on the blue channel on the amp, I hate the flanger and such. I choose this one, because it was cheap and my mom helped me get the amp. // 8

Spider Valve 112 Reviewed by: stratdud39, on november 25, 2008

Features: This is a new amp that Line 6 just put out I think a year ago(don't test me on that, that's what the guy said in the store). It is a pretty versatile amp, I was impressed with the cleans, there not Fender cleans, but there pretty good. This is a modeling/tube amp, so it pretty much has all the effects I need(which I will get into in the next category).This is amp is also loaded with a ton of presets, which are pretty cool. But to be honest, I wish there weren't any, because stuff like the master of puppets preset gets me to sound identical to hammett back in the 80s, but I don't want to sound like Metallica, I want to sound like me. The presets can get pretty confusing at times, too. But there are presets that aren't based on actual musicians, so you can definitely get your own sound out of it. There are 4 presets that you can set yourself, and alter when needed. // 8

Sound: The effects on this amp pretty good, the only one that seems to be lacking is the phaser. This amp has 6 different settings, clean, twang, blues, crunch, metal, and insane. There are two different type of each setting, one giving more of a thin sound, while the other give more OD. This amp suits my style wonderfully, a great metal amp. I play stuff like Guns n roses, jimi hendrix, and led zeppelin, but recently I have been only playing Megadeth and Metallica, and this amp is a perfect fit. This is amp is not muddy/noisy if you fool with the EQ a bit, a random setting will give you some unwanted noise. The distortion is weak on some channels, while insane on others, so no worries there. And I use a stratocaster with Vintage noiseless pickups(just goes to show that the amp is like 87% of your tone). // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is a monster, so no problems with it getting damaged or anything(has a tube guard). I havn't had any problems with it so far, but it's only been a few months. I wouldn't worry about having a backup while gigging. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is brilliant, and it's going to last me years. The only thing I hate is all the confusing presets. If this got stolen, I'd go buy it right again. People say this is just a Spider III with tubes shoved into it, but there wrong, Line 6 shouldn't have called it a Spider, because everyone is Biased towards Spiders. The footswitch that comes with it($100 one), is pretty sucky, but gets the job done. The volume/wah pedal sqeaks(the actual hardware). // 10

Spider Valve 112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 17, 2011

Purchased from: Local Guitar store

Features: Well I was looking for a nice Combo tube amp that had a decent amount of tones and had at least some built in effects. After much searching I found this amp beat out any other tube (or solid state) combo I could find (that was reasonably priced at least). You have 4 presents on 9 banks, plus tons of built in sounds. I have had this thing for months and Still have only used the first 3 banks (which would be 12 presets). The effects are nice, but nothing amazing, still it's nice to not have to lug around a pedal board all the time. I practice in a band with this amp all the time and never have to go above 4 on the master volume. It is a REAL tube amp, just with a digital section thrown in, and honestly once you get the hang of the EQ it is easy to dial in tones you like. // 10

Sound: It has a nice tone, I can make single coils scream but I usually use it with DiMarzio evos to get a nice progressive rock/metal sound out of it. Once you realize that the Treble on this amp is REALLY powerful you can dial in tone much easier. Just keep the treble low, keeping the treble on this amp at about 4 is just as much as having the treble on my V3 at 7 or 8 (with the presence on the amps at the same place). I have gotten tones VERY close to a Mesa Boogie Mark IV, and I have gotten tones SUPER close to my V3 (which is about twice as much money). So yea once you really get used to the EQ you can make it sound nice. Another quick note I do not use ANY of the high distortion channels with the gain above 5 because that makes it a sure fire way to have your tone sucked. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had NO problems with this amp, I love that it is a combo so all I have to do is grab it in one hand and the guitar in the other and go! I would say if you want to gig it having at least 1 of the FBV pedals Line 6 makes is a must. For a gig I would take a back up, but I doubt I would ever use the back up. // 10

Overall Impression: I really needed an amp that could go from a Warm jazzy tone, to a nice country twang, to a classic distortion all the way up to a WALL of distortion. This is the only amp that I feel is under 1000 dollars that can do all of this. After playing for nearly 9 years I feel like I have found a perfect match. I compared this amp to every amp I could find, Fenders, Marshalls, Peavey Vypyrs, Even some Mesa, Bogner, and Vox amps and I really liked this amp more. I could not find another amp that could do what this one could, let alone come close to the price. This amp made me do something I thought I would never do and that is Sell my Carvin V3, and say Line 6 can make a really nice amplifier. // 9

Spider Valve 112 Reviewed by: Malachi310, on march 18, 2013

Features: 40 watts RMS, 1 12" Celestion G12, 1 channel, 36 user-defined presets, on-board chorus, flange, tremolo, delay, tape echo, sweet echo, 6 distortions to choose from, noise suppressor, tuner, lots more. I use the clean channel and run my Strats and Teles through a Zoom G2.NU. I made three presets, for chorus/clean, distorted rhythm, and distorted lead with more delay. This amp is great for mid-sized applications (open mic, church band) and probably could keep up with my secular band. So far I really like this amp and have no complaints. I bought mine used at GC and ordered new tubes for it, since I've no idea when they were changed last. // 10

Sound: I play praise and worship music and rock ranging from stuff like "Can't Find My Way Home" and "Wild Dogs", a lot of Zep, a smattering of 80s, and many originals, power ballads and classic rock. The Celestion speaker is a MUST-HAVE for me. I tried 6 or 7 new amps at GC, and this was the only one that didn't freak out when I used the Tele's neck pickup. The amp is pretty loud for its size. It's a little noisy when I use my pedal but not distracting. Using the on-board stuff, it is very quiet. The clean channel doesn't distort at high volumes. The on-board effects leave a bit to be desired. The distortion is okay but not up to the level in my pedal. The amp offers six kinds, 2 crunch, 2 metal, and 2 "insane." The distorted sound is cardboardy, even when I eq out bass and mid. The chorus is okay but there's very little room for customizing depth, mix and rate. Likewise, the delays and echoes offer mix (level), but no customizing for time or feedback. I set up presets in case I play someplace that hates my effects pedal - I co-host an open mic in a place that has terribly dirty power, and when I use my pedal, I get not just single-coil hum, but a very loud, distracting hum, that is omnidirectional - usually I figure out where the trouble spots are and face away, but there's nowhere to hide in this place! I will otherwise use my pedal, and for that, this amp is great, delivers lots of power and doesn't distort at high volumes. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can't say yet about its durability. I ordered new power tubes since I have no idea when they were last changed. The preamp tubes seem fine, no evidence of them being microphonic. The amp seems very-well constructed and solid, no rattles, and it's a bit heavy but not as heavy as my Marshall MG100 cabinets, which I'm going to need help lifting soon. Also, the amp has very sturdy casters, a blessing. I believe it will prove to be durable and reliable and will provide an update after I've had it for a few months. // 10

Overall Impression: I own 2 Peavey VK 100 tube amp heads, 2 Marshall MG100 4 x 12" loaded with Celestions, a Zoom G2.NU effects pedal, 2 Strats and 2 Teles (I keep one pair in standard tuning for things like open mics or playing with guys who don't want to tune down, and the other pair is tuned down a half-step to save wear and tear on my 52-year old voice). I've been playing guitar since 1976, and started singing long before then. I can play the piano a bit, drums a bit, and am a pretty good bass player. The amp complements the music I play very well. My favorite features: 1) it's a tube amp, 2) it has a Celestion, 3) it delivers great power for an amp this size, and 4) it's not noisy and is very clean. If this one were stolen I'd get another one ASAP. I compared this amp against a Peavey VK 112 and thought I'd like the Peavey, because I have the amp head and like it, but the speaker was lacking. Tried a Marshall Haze. Marshall doesn't load Celestions in solid-state amps and I couldn't afford a tube amp. The speaker in the Marshall I also found lacking. I tried a Fender Frontman 212. The speakers were lacking also. I tried an older, smaller Fender combo amp, and it sounded great for its size but it wasn't loud enough to serve in a mid-size capacity. I'd have bought a brand-new Spider Valve 112, but Line 6 doesn't make those anymore, and it didn't occur to me to try its successor because I was so happy with this one. The on-board effects are not fantastic, and compression would be a nice feature to have, but I will only use the presets in an emergency. I didn't have to create a new patch set for it either. It handles my pedal patches very well and sounds a great deal like my VK100/Marshall MG100 rig. It's better than I'd hoped for and I would recommend this amp to anyone looking for a scalable mid-size amp that will work from small applications to open mics. // 10

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review