Vetta II Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 05/29/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Line 6: Vetta II
From post-modern to traditional, Vetta II gives you every color in the tone palette so you can create your own sonic vision.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.2
 9.7
 8.7
reviews (6) pictures (2) 25 comments vote for this gear:
Vetta II Reviewed by: pe4c, on october 25, 2007

Purchased from: Music 123

Features: The Vetta is Line 6's flagship amp, boasting a mindnumbing array of amp/cab/effect models. It's a 2x12 combo, rated at 150 watts stero, and loaded with low end Celestion speakers. The amp models range from a variety of Line 6 hybrids to Fender to Vox to Marshalls to Bogner and Diezel, and associated speaker cabinets. The unit also has every effects pedal in the known universe as well as a number of rack style effects modules. It sounds complex, but by downloading Line 6's free editing software, the user can MDI-interface the amp with a Mac or PC and build virtual rigs right on the desktop and then take them for a spin. The user has a very high degree of control in building the signal; amp/cab selection, virual mic placement, 3 stomp box slots (use whatever effects you like), a wah, a volume pedal, reverb, compression, EQ, some rack effects, the option to route your signal however you like, go stero or mono even move the effects around. You can even build two seperate rigs and play them at the same time. It has a large number of user (modifiable) channels and an equal number of factory presets (nonmodifiable). It does have an effects loops, so you can still use your favorite pedals. I use my Vetta II as a recording but have used it in live situations on the rare occasion I sit in with friends, in small club settings. At 150 stero watts, this amp is impossiblely loud. Over the years, I used/owned a number of amps, and this is the loudest thing I've ever played through. This is a solid state amp, more on that later, so maintanance is not an issue. To fully exploit the features so the amp, you need the FBV pedalboard. As an added bonus, the software architecture of the unit is such that as Line 6 expands the Vetta's capability/features, you can upgrade the amp at home and for free. // 10

Sound: The Vetta II really can do it all: thermonuclear gain to sparkling clean to warm crunch to name-the-tone at whatever volume you require. The dirty tones are warm and articulate. The clean tones are really clean. For technically minded players looking for a versitile rig, and Who don't suffer from techno-fear, this amp is it. If you are plug-and-play sorta player and are not interested in tweaking, this amp isn't for you. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is as much computer as it is amp. Were I a gigging professional, I'd be hesitant to use it without a back up. I've never had a problem with my Vetta II. The rare occasion I've contacted Line 6's tech support, usually to get info regarding software updates or some such, they have been great. // 10

Overall Impression: I've talked a lot about the good so here is the balance. Out of the box, the Vetta is a lot of fun but not very musical. The factory presets are meant to "wow" and show the versitility of the amp. You really have to be willing to spend sometime with the manual and then the rig to get to know it and to build presets that suit your style of play. As a solid state amp emulating a variety of tube amps, it's an emulation, but a musical and usable one. A tube purist could articulate it better, but having owned a number of tube amps, there is a kind of warmth that is missing. That being said, I think the versitility of the Vetta II far outweighs it's solid state Heritage. Quite honestly, I never plugged into a $4000 Diezel and if I did I certainly couldn't buy the monster. The Vetta is a great compromise. // 10

Vetta II Reviewed by: hobo467, on september 07, 2006

Features: This amp was rented for one gig. 150 watts solid-state. This amp is like a simple computer; there are so many on-board distortion/overdrive/effects settings that it's ridiculous. As well, it allows for channel mixing (by that I mean there are two channels, and you can set each channel to an individual distortion setting and either use just one or combine them for a unique sound). Basically, this monster is the Swiss Army Knife of amplifiers; fits any style incredibly. It was used at a small club and it was WAY too loud. // 10

Sound: I used two guitars with this amp; a 2004 Gibson Flying V (496R & 500T Gibson humbuckers) and a Gibson '61 SG reissue ('57 classic humbuckers). I play everything under the sun, from jazz to death metal, and this amp does it all. Very noisy, but in a good way, and blasts the pants off your average concert-goer. If you play metal, this amp will blow everyone away. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Definitely would use it without backup; the most dependable amp I have ever used, and the loudest as well. Never broke down for the week I had it. The amp has never been neglected, so I saw no problems with that; as well, it's a solid-state amp, so no problems with tubes or anything related. // 10

Overall Impression: I hate nothing about this amp and love everything. If it were stolen, I would find the person Who took it, castrate them and bring my baby back home. I chose the amp because I love Line 6 so much. I couldn't live without the distortion settings on this thing. It also comes with a 4-channel footswitch with a pedal wah and volume control, which is quite useful. // 10

Vetta II Reviewed by: DIFTWOOD, on february 23, 2010

Purchased from: craglist

Features: This amp is very versatile. It can get to metal to acoustic sounding by just turning a knob. I finally found a amp that fits any style of music I throw at it. Is amazing. I use this amp in the basement and it has 150 watts so I think I would have enought power. Heh I usually have it on at 75 walts(there's a button that lets you use the vetta at 1/2 power) and its can get very loud. The volume knobs are very sensitive a small turn can make a huge difference. But the great thing is that the amp can still sound great at low volumes. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Jem777DY with a super distortion on the bridge and a PAF PRO at the neck and a Blue velet in mid. I can get it to sound like anything. The Thing that makes it so great is that the vetta can mix two amp sounds together with 2 cabs which make things sound more full and tube like. For a digital amp it is the closest thing I played that sounds like tubes. But with the advantages of a digital amp. Such like not having to change the tubes nor having to take care of them. Also as I mentioned the vetta sounds just as good at low volumes which is almost impossible to do on a tube amp. The only thing I didn't like was that there are too many effects and settings. Its very overwhelming also I have read the manual about // 10

Reliability & Durability: When I first got it there was a hardware problem which I fixed up in a couple of hours. But it hasent broken down on me since. Very realiable and NO TUBES. I can throw this amp around and there wont be some delicate glass inside that will break. I have taken it to gigs and mutiple band practices. It has not failed me ever and I don't think it will start anytime soon. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alot of things which makes the vetta great. I like playing metal to alternative and some acoustic stuff now and again. I been playing for about 4 years and sold all my previous gear to get the gear I have now. I have had tubes and solid state amps and this amp has the best of both worlds. The only thing I didn't like was that there are too many effects and settings. Its very overwhelming also I have read the manual about 4 times but still its very hard to manage when you first get it. Also I wish that Line 6 can make a 1X12 version of the vetta 2 so I don't have to break my back getting the vetta out of the car. THIS IS NOT A SPIDER. The vetta series is the best Line 6 can offer. You can't even begin to compare the two. Some tube snob might look down at this amp since its not a tube amp but its their loss. Their missing out on a very dependable very great sound amplifier. // 10

Vetta II Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 15, 2011

Purchased from: Private seller

Features: This is the most versatile amp ever made. It has 64 Channels (4 per bank with 16 Banks) and the combinations are so limitless you can not use every option in all 64 channels. Channel switching with the optional FBV floorboards. For studio applications the floorboard is not necessary. It has a footswitchable fx loop. It has every possible feature you could ever need and then some. I use this amp in the studio in practice and at live gigs. It is stereo with Dual-Amp options and dozens of stereo effects. You can plug it into your computer via midi and download new tones, adjust your own tones and download updates. // 10

Sound: I use it with a Gibson Explorer with Dual Humbuckers, A Tele with Tele Humbuckers, A Tele with Tele Single Coils, A Jazzmaster with P90s, a Jackson Dinky with 2 Humbuckers, an Acoustic, An Electra X260, and even a Bass. I play several styles including Jazz, Progressive Rock, Progressive Metal, Country (kinda), Rock, and Metal/Jazz Fusion (mostly Progressive in general). This amp Plays all of those styles and more. I use it on all possible settings... Even Synth string settings... And I get no excessive noise. The clean can be as sparkly clean or as "slightly" overdriven as you want and you can get the most ridiculous heavy distortion you could ever need beyond what is necessary. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had no issue with it in the year and a half since I have had it and I know it was at least 5 years old when I got it. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 13 years. I am a Gear-Head and a "Professional" Musician... I know my sh-t. I was a typical "analog all the way" kinda guy until the other guitarist in the band got a vetta. Now all I need is my vetta. If there was anything I would change about it would be adding tubes... You can get a tube power amp and run it "Direct Out" and get all the tube power you want with limitless amp effect combinations. // 10

Vetta II Reviewed by: guitarheel99, on march 04, 2013

Purchased from: Guitar Center Little Rock AK

Features: This is a Vetta II 2x12 combo - solid state, 75w per side into 2 12 inch custom Celestions. This is an open back combo with the panel facing upwards on the top of the amp. At first glance with all the lights and knobs and screens, this amp might seem a little intimidating. You will quickly discover that the buttons are there to provide instant access to each area of the amp and that the Vetta is deceptively easy to use. I had two tones dialed in within 30 mins of turning on the amp for the first time. THIS AMP IS INCREDIBLY LOUD! I have YET to switch the amp to full power and with the master volume up halfway, and it absolutely roars. I initially considered getting an extension cab, but quickly discovered I won't need it. HOWEVER, if you are so inclined, buy one and enjoy the Vetta's ability to play two amp models at once through separate cabs. By default, this feature plays each amp through separate speakers on the stock combo (you can pan the amps as well), and it is still very clear and each amp can be heard. There are a variety of outputs available - XLR wet/dry, line level, SPDIF and AES/EBU. As far as what it lacks - the only thing I can think of that would make this amp any better is if it came with a hula girl on top. Gotta have the hula girl. //sarcasm // 10

Sound: I use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with stock pickups as well as a custom flying V with an EMG 85 in the bridge. I also have a Peavey Predator Strat copy. There are over 75 amps modeled and about 30 cabs as well as over 50 effects of various sorts. Even with the age of this amp's technology, the accuracy of the modeling is of a very high degree. The heavy amp models are tight and percussive or warm and flowing - whichever floats your boat. The clean models sparkle with impeccable clarity. Each amp model 'feels' like its respective real-life counterpart. The responsiveness of some of the Vintage single volume combos is scary good - play soft and you get a nice clean tone, play louder and that '63 Vibroverb will get nice and dirty. The Dual Rec model has that same open, spongy feel yet still retains that characteristic 'thump' - even in the open 2x12 combo. And the Variac'd Super Lead model spells pure satisfaction when played through the greenback-loaded cab models. These are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to amps and cabs within the Vetta. There are Marshalls, Bogners, Diezels, various Vox models, and an eclectic collection of other more obscure jewels such as the Supro S6616 (complete with the 6x9 speaker cab), or the Silvertone Twin Twelve. In short, ALL of the amp models sound awesome. Open the big fat box full of ye olde Vintage effects (as well as newfangled items such as a pitch shifter and some synth stuff) and all your tonal needs are met. A footpedal is a MUST with this amp - mine came with the FBV shortboard, which I also find very cool in terms of functionality. You will need it to operate the amp to its fullest potential. You can assign up to 3 stompbox effects to the switches on the board. These effects are all These would be your typical pedal style effects such as distortion, delay, compression, etc. All of these effects are modeled after popular models of yesterday and today. There are also post effects which can be inserted after the amps - much like in a studio. These can also be controlled via dedicated switches on the board. There's an expression pedal on the side which can control any one of many effects such as a Wah (there are several versions modeled), a pitch shifter, volume, or you can assign it to perform functions on amps or effects (roll back gain, chorus speed, etc). There is very little noise with this amp - even when not using the built-in noise gate. All the tweaking can be done via knobs on the top of the amp, which behave just like the knobs on the respective models. In some cases, the knobs do different things based on the original layout of controls on the real amp (i.e one tone knob or no tone knob). In these instances, the other controls still function as bass or treble, etc - and the original tone of the real amp can be achieved by simply leaving the unused controls at the 12 o'clock position. These are all explained in the manual - as it goes into detail about how each amp was modeled and gives a brief history of each amp(very cool reading). There is also cabinet voicing available for your DI signal for live or studio use. You can select a variety of mics and orientations for simulating mic'd cabinets in a live environment. This feature makes for a very consistent tone in live settings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's solid state, so there are no tubes. The only reliability issues I can foresee is the possibility of the failure of the CAT5 cable which connects the footboard to the amp. This cable is of relatively low quality, but can be replaced very cheaply with something more durable. The footboard is all metal, which is nice. Don't slide the board around on the floor(especially carpet) with your feet. Pick it up and move it or you risk knocking off the rubber feet on the bottom of the board. Also, the handle on top of this amp is not to be trusted. It is inadequate to handle the weigh of the amp and should be replaced. I have read about issues with the knobs on the top moving around on their own due to vibrations at loud volumes. There are several remedies to this - pull off the knobs and buy some felt washers from your local Wal-mart and put them under the knobs. My solution was to simply pull the knobs up on the shafts a small amount to get them off the chassis. The amp also has a built-in feature to combat this - you simply 'park' the knobs at zero and reinitialize your preset. There is a small deadzone at zero on each knob that eliminates unwanted movement. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for over 20 yrs. My first amp was a 70s model Fender Princeton Reverb, and my first metal amp was a Peavey Ultra Plus head. Having experienced tube amps, I can safely say that the Vetta does an excellent job of reproducing both the sound and feel of tube amps. Sure, the tube purists will bash the solid-state nature and claim that the models sound nothing like the real thing. This is simply not true. This amp was the flagship model for Line 6 5 or 6 years ago(when they were 2500$ brand new) and thus the sonic quality reflects as such. Some people claim that the Vetta is 'too tweakable' and that it's more suitable for guitarists who like to tweak versus those in search of instant gratification. I think it has the best of both worlds. I tend to be more of a tweaker, and fully expected to spend hours tweaking one sound to get it just right. What I discovered is that you can get the basic amp tones fairly quickly. But because there are SO many options available, you will INEVITABLY spend hours experimenting with different sonic combinations... Not because it's necessary, but because you CAN! It's simply an amazing amp for the price. If you're looking for a one-stop solution to owning a professional grade rig, look no further than the Vetta II. // 10

Vetta II Reviewed by: MESAexplorer, on may 29, 2013

Purchased from: Online trade

Features: Before we get started: Over the past several years I've owned a Mesa F-100, Mark IV, Roadking, Framus Dragon, and Splawn Quickrod as my main, frontrunning amps. All of them except the Framus Dragon and Roadking developed issues from normal wear and tear, shipping, and transporting them around. I'm usually very careful with my gear but repairs and replacement tubes were getting expensive (almost $200 for a complete change on the Roadking). I enjoy amps that have a lot of different sounds and you can tweak for days. I didn't want something that I would have to carry around over $1,000 in stompboxes and effects with me whenever I go play somewhere. I wanted something I could control with one pedalboard without having to get some fancy MIDI system and floorboard. And I wanted something that didn't require $200 in new tubes every 2 years. I ended up trading away my Framus Dragon for the 300 watt Vetta 2 head and floorboard. Now on to the features: Many reviewers have already mentioned several of the amps features and you can easily find the complete list on Line 6's website so I'm just going to highlight some of my favorite features. - Dual amp modes. Being able to choose between any 2 of about 100 models onboard is awesome. This allows you to choose a models that complement one another. In doing so, there is no excuse for a player unable to dial up a tone that is not only full but clear. - Half and full power mode (head only). You're not forced to live with the full 300 watts all the time with this head. Using half power mode allows you to play in the quietest of bedrooms to the loudest of stages. - Onboard effects. This includes the basic chorus, phaser, tremolo, delays, as well as a pitch shifter (think whammy pedal), octaver, wahs, reverse delays, EQs, compressors, noise gates... And they're all every bit as adjustable as a comparable stompbox. Additionally, its very easy to change the arrangement of the pedals, such as having an overdrive before amp 2, chorus behind amp 1, and delay after both, or any other order you can think of. Up to 3 stompboxes can be engaged on the fly, and you also have access to reverb, delay, tremolo, and modulation on the fly as well. And all of these settings can be saved (either in the on or off position) so when you switch to a channel with all of them you don't have to worry about everything being on/off at the same time. - 2 banks of 16 sets of 4 channels. All in all, 128 channels, only 64 of which you can actually adjust. - Ability to be updated**** I love the idea that it can be upgraded through a software update. However, Line 6 hasn't really improved it at all since V2.5. There is the Armin mods which remove the oversaturation of gain on many of the models and renames the models to the real life counterpart (California Treadplate = Mesa Boogie Rec) And the best thing is it is very easy to use. For an amp with 32 buttons, 16 knobs, banks and banks of settings, features, and adjustments, it's fairly simple to use. Sure, it's going to take you about 10-45 minutes to make a great sounding channel, but it sounds great. I don't like to give out 10's across the board but this amp deserves it. There are very few amps, or amp simulators out there that offer as much as the Vetta 2. // 10

Sound: "I've never heard a Line 6 that sounded like that!" "It's not tube?!" "You can get the head and floorboard for $500?!" "It's a spaceship!" Get used to hearing that. It sounds good! I'm not going to BS you guys and say it's like my Dragon, Roadking, Mark IV, Fender Twin, Quickrod, F-100, and an ENGL, Diezel, Matchless, Dumble, and Marshall all rolled into one. Because it doesn't. The tones on the Vetta are modeled after a specific year, make, model, channel, cabinet, range of settings on a typical amp. So when you're on a Mesa MK model, don't expect it to have a Santana smoothness, or great cleans. If you're on a Fender Twin channel, don't expect to get SRV tones when you crank up the gain. There are some models onboard that just plain suck, others need a lot of tweaking, some don't need much tweaking, and some sound great as they are. MOST models have a sweet spot that will give you a good tone, but again, this goes back to the dual amp feature. If you were to demo my settings in mono, it sounds downright bad. All of my channels are setup to where one amp fills in where the other leaves off. If executed properly, you should be satisfied with the Vetta. Currently I'm running the left side through a B-52 412 loaded with V12 Legends, and the right side through a Marshall 1960b and G-Flex. It sounds great as long as I have the left going to the B-52 and right going to the others. Its nothing wrong with the amp, I just have the amps adjusted to sound a certain way out of certain cabs. This amp has great medium to high gains and awesome clean tones. Overdrive is harder to achieve. Generally I run a higher gain model set to low gain with a low gain model set to high gain. You can get studio quality overdrive, however, it's going to be very very specific. By specific, basically your settings are going to give you a good overdrive tone with the guitar volume on 10. You can't really turn the guitar volume knob up to warm it up or dial back the guitar volume to calm it down much. For me being a predominately metal player, the Vetta is great. The cleans are outstanding. The overdrive tones aren't bad with the right setup, but they're definitely not as usable as an organic tube amp either. *For loud/live playing, gigging, jamming, your channels might not sound "great" or won't cut through the mix as well. I use the first 2 sets of 4 channels for my live sound. Usually they have slightly less gain (clarity), higher mids (cut the mix), and relatively equal volumes on full tilt. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've never had an issue with the reliability of this amp. It has started making a buzzing sound when left on for a couple minutes. It isn't buzzing through the speakers, just the electronics. One time the floorboard cut out on me, after opening it up I realized a ribbon cable was disconnected... Easy fix. On two different occasions this head has fallen at least 5 feet, once on carpet and once on concrete. I expected the worst both times and it's still kicking. Additionally, we had a water issue in our house and the head got drenched with the power cable in (turned off though). I would have put it in a bag of rice but ziplock doesn't make one big enough... Regardless... It worked. I've heard of them having system failures from the 2.5 update, screen turning to 1's and 0's, or having typical wear and tear malfunctions. So far mine has more than exceeded my expectations for reliability. I give my Vetta 2 a 10 in this category, but because I've heard of quite a few others having more severe issues, I'm going to give it a 8 for slightly above average reliability. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a variety of music but most of my time is spent playing metal. I have a variety of guitars ranging from single coil fenders, to the RG2228. In my experiences, the Vetta dislikes single coils. I get a much better tone with humbuckers. It seems like it prefers higher output pickups over lower output pickups. The EMG 81, 85, 89, and 808 sound great through it. I have considered buying another Vetta II and keeping it in storage in case this one were to ever die. I assume there really is no repairing a dead Vetta. It's not that I don't trust the reliability of this amp... I don't really trust the reliability of the badge on the front. I will say I am looking for an all purpose 18-50 watt tube amp because I do miss tubes. And I want something easier to transport than a head and 3 cabinets. For the price you can get a Vetta II for now ($400-$750), I highly recommend them. It's lasted me 3 years now and the guy before me 2 more years, and I hope it lasts at least 5 more. Many of my friends are impressed with it, and I'm still impressed with it. If you like tweaking your tone, having a ton of tones, in a relatively easy to use package, the Vetta gets a solid 8 in my book. // 8

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review