1960A Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 10/22/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: 1960A
The Marshall 1960A produces a loud, well-focused, and uncluttered sound with a tight, full low end and a crisp, bright top. Excellent for players who don't want to muddy-up their effects. Loaded with G12T75 Celestion 75W speakers.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Features: 9.2
 7.8
 8.8
 6.8
reviews (5) 17 comments vote for this gear:
1960A Reviewed by: MGuitar24, on december 08, 2008

Features: My cab was made in 2007. It is very versatile in my opinion... Some say that it is just built for metal. That is true in the sense that it has a really great low end sound but the high and mid range isn't bad by any means. You can get almost any sound out of it if you have the right equipment I.e. pedals and eq on your head. I use a Marshall MG 250 combo amp to power it stereo through the back. It puts out 100W. It is solid state and I have to give the credit to it for the great metal sound that I get with it. I don't use any pedals just the amp and it's digital effect settings. // 10

Sound: I play a ESP ltd deluxe ec-1000 with Seymour Duncan passive humbuckers. They are sweet. The bridge is the best sound. It isn't too hot like some and the low end of the amp makes it sound great through this cab. Sometimes if you use too many pedals I get a little buzz but that is to be expected and may have to do with my amp too not the cab. The cab can handle a good clean sound. I have played a tele through it and it sounds good. My guitar on the neck is the way to go for clean but the sound isn't amazing it could be better but that is just because of the guitar. A different guitar would be better suited for a clean sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this cab is pretty dependable. The only design flaw is the handles. They feel cheap and are really light. When you lift it you almost feel like you might break them. I have used this cab for many shows loading and unloading though and haven't had a problem yet. The casters seem to be pretty good they make it really convenient and I'm pretty sure they come stock on this cab. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall feeling about this cab is that it is amazing! It is a perfect match for a metal sound. If you have a decent head you should be able to eq it perfect for that sound too. I chose this cab because I wanted to upgrade from a combo amp without having to get a head and a cab. If I was going to by a cab powered by my combo amp (which was my plan) it had to be Marshall because of the way that they wire the speakers in stereo. So I found this amp and I am very pleased. I would recommend it to anyone. // 10

1960A Reviewed by: reggie119, on january 21, 2008

Features: This cabinet was made in 2004 I think. It has 4 Celestion G12T 75 watt speakers. It has a (4 or 16 ohm) mono/stereo switching mechanism. Other then that those are the only features of it. I purchased my cabinet used for $678.00 Canadian which is not bad. I recommend people to buy this cabinet if they want to upgrade to a half stack. // 9

Sound: I use a B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ classic series guitar and I use a Marshall AVT 100X as the head, only until I upgrade to a Marshall JCM 800 head. This Cabinet suits any type of style of music from country to death metal. I play hard rock, blues, and metal, and it sounds great. My Mockingbird makes the amp produce a heaver bass sound because it is a neck through guitar. This cabinet is a beast! It's very loud at half and it's huge weighing 80 pounds. the clean channel sounds amazing on this. It's clear and loud. The distortion is a bit muddy, but it all depends on what amp head yo have. I'm thinking of replacing two of the celestion G12t-75 for Celestion Vintage '30s which will produce a much tighter sound. Kirk Hammett has the exact same thing, Two Celestion Vintage '30s and two Celestion G12T-75. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this Cabinet no problem! The handles are well put together making it easy to carry it around. I bought it used and it was in very good condition! It is built with solid wood which hopefully wont break. I hope this cabinet will last me years down the road. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before I play hard rock, blues, and metal and it suits it perfectly. I've been playing for 3 years and I'm not bad. I wish this cabinet came with wheels on it so it would be easier to move around. If it was stolen I would probably buy this cab again but put Vintage '30s in it. // 8

1960A Reviewed by: RicardoB, on may 26, 2008

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: I purchased this cab used, it is the JCM900 version and was made in 1995. It comes with the Celestion G12T-75 Watters for 300 Watts total. The amp is switchable from 4 to 16 ohms and has two inputs so you can use the cab in stereo. Mine came with casters, and I would highly recommend them if you don't want to scratch up the tolex while moving it around. The one negative with this amp is the plastic handles which crack around the screws. For the price, it should come with metal handles like the early Marshall cabs. // 8

Sound: 300 watts should be able to handle any head you want to use with this cabinet. In one sense, I wish it had a combination of these speakers and Vintage 30s or the G12H, but that would lower the total wattage significantly, and might limit your choice of heads. Anyway, these speakers have a nice bottom end and decent upper registers. This cab, with these speakers, is built for metal but it handles any other style you throw at it, with the right amp of course. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The cab is well built but the handles, like I said should be metal, and the plastic corners could also be metal as well. Marshall has enough money not to skimp on these minor details. The casters are pretty much essential but I've heard of a lot of people's breaking, or being lost. The cab weighs in at about 85 pounds, which is a little on the light side for a 4X12, meaning the wood thickness is not up to par with some other cabs (Mesa and Orange). I was able to unload the cab, solo, from my trunk with out too much problem. If you take care of it, you shouldn't have any problems besides the tolex and grill cloth ripping. // 8

Overall Impression: I bought this because I wanted to look cool... haha, but seriously I love the classic look of a Marshall cab, and it looks funny with my Orange Tiny Terror sitting on top of it. One thing I wish it had was the Vintage looking grey grill cloth, which in my opinion looks so much cooler. I'm not really a metal head so for me I wish it came with the G12H speakers (which sound the best) but then the amp would only total 120 watts. In reality, I wish there was some middle ground. If it was stolen (you can't really lose a 4X12) I wouldn't pay the full price to replace it. In actuality I like the look of the Vintage Tall better, but for the price that you pay to get one used (usually less than $500) I would replace it for sure. Mine was in terrific shape, besides the handles, and at the price I paid, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it. // 8

1960A Reviewed by: SG6578, on february 02, 2009

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I guess the only way to describe this is... a cab is a cab. Mine was made in 1993 and is actually a JCM-900 960A. It can connect to either 4, 8, or 16 ohms. I can be switched to stereo, but only in 8ohms for each jack. Mine had Celestion GT-75's with it. I use mine for practice and also gigs. Overall, the features are pretty good, I just wish it had better casters. // 9

Sound: I used mine with a Squier Telecaster with Seymour Duncan pickups. I played it through a JCM-2000 DSL-50 on classic crunch mode. I mostly played alternative and punk (RHCP, Muse, Rise Against, The Living End, The Distillers, ect... ). Overall it was a pretty quiet cab, any noise I experienced was a crappy input jack on the Squier. The thing that I absolutely loved about this cab was that it could handle just about any watts and volume that you threw at it. I could play at full tilt on 50 watts and it would still remain very clean and crisp. That being said, it's not a cab that you want to use for home use. It doesn't sound very good when playing at lower volumes. I had a pretty good sound out of my cab, but it lacked bass response and tone. In conclusion, just make sure your bass player has a loud amp. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The actual construction of this cab was top notch, as are most Marshall cabs. I had the back panel off a few times and found that it was held together with dovetail joint and glue (makes for a VERY strong build). The problem that I found however was not the construction, it was the quality of the material. The tolex on these cabs is absolute junk. I had to watch my cab on every gig to make sure that someone didn't bump into it because the tolex would rip all the time. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great cab for classic and hair rock. I've been playing for about 5 years now and so many people tell me that Marshall is the way to go for amps and cabs. I don't believe it anymore. Marshall carries a lot of history and a good word with their company, but I really don't like their products. If this cab was stolen I would not buy another, I would probably save up and buy a Mesa or an Orange. I loved the look of this cab, but I didn't love the sound. Almost every artist has a stack of Marshalls behind them, I think I would rather play with Mesa's. // 7

1960A Reviewed by: GibsonEXP, on october 22, 2010

Price paid: € 590

Purchased from: Musikhaus Benson Küps

Features: I purchased the cab in 2007, it was a demo-cab, so it was a bit cheaper than normally (back in the day the street price in Germany was about 730 EUR, now it costs 599 EUR). It should be made around 2006/2007, so it's from the new series, the golden plate in the left corner says just "1960 LEAD". The speakers are the Celestion G12 T75. I like them more than the Vintage 30 speakers, the cab brings that typical Marshall buzz. // 10

Sound: The cab has enough capacity for nearly every amp. If the amp has enough headroom, the box will have, too. You must play brutally loud to let it clip, but normally the amp will clip earlier than the cab. I use it with a 100W solid state Kustom amp and distortion pedals, works perfect for me and sounds great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Marshall cabs are built like a tank, you can't get 'em broken. The only thing you have to be careful about is the mesh at the front, a grill would be more rugged, but the mesh looks better... I've got the Slash Signature protection cover in snakeskin look to it. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm playing everything from Blues to Black Metal, the cab fits perfectly. I would buy it again if it would be stolen. I'm playing since 10 years and it is my first 4x12 cab and maybe my last one, it will stay because I'm totally satisfied with it. I compared it with the Framus 4x12 cabs, they sound good, but the 1960A sounds better to ME(!) (V30 vs. G12T75), and the Marshall cab looks better (Rock 'n' Roll Legend on stage) // 10

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Valvestate VS30R 6.1 Guitar Amplifiers 04/21/2014