1960AV Review

9.8
 9.3
review (1) pictures (1) 14 comments vote for this gear:
1960AV Reviewed by: SeanX3187, on july 08, 2009

Features: The cab was made in 2001 in the U.K. I believe, and it's definitely versatile enough for what I play, which is punk and ska. It has a 4 ohm input and a 16 ohm input, and a switch to make both of them 8 ohm for stereo which is really nice to have. It's a cab, so it's not like it has a whole lot of features, and the stereo/mono Switch is the only nice one. It has plastic handles which get the job done, but have started to crack around the rivets, which also goes for the plastic corners. I use this amp everywhere: my bedroom to practice by myself, my buddy's house for band practice, and at local concert venues for my bands shows, and it's amazing. It's 280w driven by Celestion Vintage 30 Speakers so it can handle my JCM 900 4100 head very nicely. And yes, they ARE V30's. Marshall puts their stickers on the back and rate them at 10w higher because they believe they can handle that much wattage. And that is what Dr. Decibel of Celestion Speakers tells all the naive disbelievers every time they ask. // 9

Sound: I use it with a Gibson SG Special and my backup which is a Squier Tele and it sounds great with humbuckers and single coil pickups. The V30s really make the sound amazing, with the sweet mids and overall great highs and lows. This cab can handle any kind of music played through it and sound great. I mean, Vintage 30s are guaranteed to sound great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a rock, so it's very dependable. It's my only cab, and I have no intentions of getting a new one because I know I won't need one. It'll last as long as I want it to. Any Marshall cabs (except for the MG Series) are great cabs, and will be around as long as you are. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk and ska, which call for great mids, a lot of cleans, and just as much, if not more crunchy distortion, and let me tell you, there is no better cab for that. I've been playing for a few years, and amp-wise, this cab and my JCM 900 4100 head are the only amps I have, so one simple half stack. I wish I asked about the handles, but that really has no effect on the sound, so I would have bought it anyway. If this were stolen, I'd be really bummed because it'd be a while before I could afford a new one, but I'd probably buy this same exact cab. I love just about everything about it. If the handles were metal, I'd love EVERYTHING, but oh well, that's a sacrifice I can live with. The stereo/mono Switch makes it a much easier cab to switch with various heads because not all heads are the same impedance as you all know. I compared it to the more expensive Marshall cabs, Mesa cabinets, Orange cabs, and Fender cabs. Vintage 30s are my favorite speakers, so it was a definite winner against the more expensive Marshalls and Fender cabs. And it sounded exactly the same as the Mesa and Orange cabs, and was much cheaper than Orange. It was between Mesa and Marshall, and they both had a V30 loaded cab for $950, but I found a friend who had the Marshall for sale for $400, so I naturally went with that, and Mesas always go for much more used. I just love this amp. Marshall needs a high five for this incredible cab. // 10

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Valvestate VS30R 6.1 Guitar Amplifiers 04/21/2014