1987X Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 01/24/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: 1987X
All the fabulous tube tone of the original 1987X from the 1966 to 1969 era plus a true bypass series FX loop.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 8.7
 9.2
reviews (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
1987X Reviewed by: thejester, on january 24, 2008

Purchased from: Craigs List

Features: This is a 2007 with the effects loop sporting the true bypass option. This amp has all the features you want for this style of music. Simply put, presence, bass, middle, treble, high treble loudness, normal loudness. Essentially this has two channels but the ability to blend and mix channels you can achieve a lot of different sounds. Fifty watts of tube power is more than plenty for me, you better be playing stadiums in order to justify the 100w version of the Marshall re-issue heads. The reason I went with this amp is because of the tone and the simplicity. I had owned a JCM 2000 DSL combo but there were "too many buttons & knobs." I like the idea of plugging in and playing and just turn one nob. // 9

Sound: I play two guitars out of this amp. My Gibson Les Paul Classic and my Fender American Stratocaster. As I write this I have dialed in the exact tone I want with the strat but I am still working on nailing the les paul tone. As I play primarily classic rock/blues this amp and guitar set up perfectly matches my style. Through the strat I am not a fan of the high treble channel thus I usually play on the low sensitivity input on the 'normal' channel. This is where I get the definition of 'tone.' Nothing I have ever played has come close to this. The closest I have come is playing through my friends Twin with a TS9 and TS808 on. Luckily, the mighty Marshall can get that tone without the use of any pedals. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As I bought this used I was unsure of the tube life and what do you know on the first day I blow an output tube when switching to standby. Grrrr. None the less I took in to my amp guy Who put in some 'Winged C' aka Svetlana's and this amp is now in 100% working order. I have the transferable warranty that Marshall offers but they only cover tubes for 90 days sadly. Overall I would be comfortable playing this everyday in a band. With regular and normal maintenence this amp will last my a long long time. // 8

Overall Impression: As previously stated, this amp is a monster and absolutely tone provider. I could not wish for anything better. I am playing out of the Marshall 1960AX 100watt cab. This cab is loaded with 4 25watt Greenback speakers. I wanted this cab as I love greenbacks as that is the same type of speaker in my Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb (reissue). Overall find yourself a Vintage reissue Marshall amp and hear for yourself what I go to bed dreaming about playing the very next day. // 10

1987X Reviewed by: majors4422, on december 26, 2007

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This amp has some versatility, but if you are looking at this amp you have a specific tone in mind. Rock or blues. One channel that distorts and cleans up however you want it. It has plenty of loud! You do need features with this amp, however. And I have to keep writing because UG makes you write a certain amount. And I have to keep writing because UG makes you write a certain amount. And I have to keep writing because UG makes you write a certain amount. // 7

Sound: I use a Epiphone Les Paul with stock pickups. And a Fender Stratocaster with stock coils. Both sound amazing. There is just so must sustain and strength to the notes, solos, and chords that I haven't been able to get with other amps EX. Peavey. This amp is every letter of rock and roll. The amp really shines when turned up and gives you natural overdrive, not fake gain. This natural overdrive is second to none. When the amp is low volume and clean, it is also extremely good. Turn the presence down and blues will flow out just fine. One good thing is it doesn't take much to get it distorted so it is a little bedroom friendly, although I guarantee someone in your house will complain because it does have to be a litte louder than a gain controlled amplifier. But that sacrifice is minimal compared to the tone to be witheld. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Can't rate this yet. Is built rock solid though. And I have to keep writing because UG makes you write a certain amount. And I have to keep writing because UG makes you write a certain amount. And I have to keep writing because UG makes you write a certain amount. And I have to keep writing because UG makes you write a certain amount. And I have to keep writing because UG makes you write a certain amount. // 7

Overall Impression: If you are thinking about this amp and you play Led, Jimi, AC/DC, Wolfmother (might need a pedal), or SRV I am here to tell you that this amp's tone will get 'r' done and more. I am still trying to get enough money to buy my own cab, not borrow a friend's, so I cannot help with cabinet selections, but this head will not disappoint you in the least. Buy a lightly used one off eBay though; don't pay full for this amp when you can get it much cheaper. // 9

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Valvestate VS30R 6.1 Guitar Amplifiers 04/21/2014