2266 Vintage Modern Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 03/08/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: 2266 Vintage Modern
The 2266 50-watt head is an all-valve single channel amplifier with a choice of 2 "dynamic ranges" selectable by a footswitch.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 9.3
 8.7
reviews (2) pictures (1) 34 comments vote for this gear:
2266 Vintage Modern Reviewed by: OzzyCat, on july 02, 2007

Features: 50 Watt Vintage Modern 2266 Head. Tube design. Single Channel. Balls out rock amp. Classic Marshall. The amp is brand new, and was made in 2007. I had to ask a question about it to Marshall. So I called up and they didn't even have a unit to check my question on! It's that new! I play rock music. Think Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver etc. It's a single channel amp, though it has a footswitchable feature called 'Dynamic Range'. Basically, this throws in an extra gain stage, making it rawk! The front panel has: master volume, reverb (digital, much nicer than spring reverbs of other amps in my opinion), presence, 3 band EQ: bass, mid, treble, mid boost button (I like to use this as it really pushes the mids out and gives the amp a lot of cutting sound). The last two pots on the front are the high and low preamp volumes. What these allows you to do is shape the sound more than normal gain pots of other amps. You can increase the high range more, or the low. This gives way more scope than normal amps. Shaping the sound is much more flexible. I use this at band rehearsal etc. I have to admit, this amp sounds like crap when played at bedroom volumes. My JCM900 sounds way better at low volumes. But let me tell you, at high volumes, I run this around 7 master volume, this badboy screams and sounds incredible. Articulate, clear, beautifully crisp notes, even when high gain is set. Great punchy cleans too. Nothing bad about the sound of this amp. The 50 Watt head into the Vintage Modern 425 Cab sounds excellent and it's easily loud enough for any venue. This thing is loud. // 10

Sound: I play a Gibson Les Paul Standard (1989) with Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups. Loud rock. This amp works utterly perfectly for this. None. With the pickups I have, this amp is very quiet when it comes to hiss etc. Ok, so while everyone thinks it's a one trick pony, it's not. It's got plenty of gain available to play modern sounds, yet you can roll the preamps off to get some really Vintage sounds. Hence the name, Vintage Modern. But also, a lot of the variety comes from the ability to really work and react well with the tone and volume pots on your guitar. Play with this a lot, and work the sound of the amp with these, and you'll not regret it. I play really loud and my pickups aren't very high output. My cleans stay pretty damn clean. Remember, roll the volume back a little on the guitar, and the cleans will stay punchy and clear. Sure, you're not going to get Korn or Slipknot from this, but Who cares. It's not made for this. It's a rock amp. It'll do a variety of rock tones. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can't rate this yet as it's not been in my possession for more than a few weeks. But let me tell you, Marshall have always been utterly brilliant to me. I'm loyal to them and don't think I'll ever get another amp from anyone else. 5 just for Marshall rocking! // 5

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 13 years. I've owned a few Marshall tube amps and other amps from other companies. I'm not narrow minded. My TSL60 was good but far from great (at the time I couldn't hear tone in the same was I can now), and I don't talk crap about musical instruments etc. If something's bad I'll say. If it's good, I'll say. Take it or leave it. If this amp was lost or stolen, I'd buy it again. Simple. It's the best Marshall I've owned. Best amp I've owned. I actually don't hate anything about this amp. How can I. It's too damn good and, hell, not exactly filled with enough to get annoyed with. Brilliantly simple. Simply brilliant. I played other amps, of course I did. I played Randall amps, other Marshalls etc. This came out on top. I wish it had a better footswitch. The footswitch is fine in terms of solidity etc, but my TSL footswitch had the Switch for the FX loop which I miss on this amp. Basically, buy one. I don't see the need for the 100 Watt head. I had the choice, and the money, and the 50 Watt is loud enough, and sounds insane. I gave this amp a 9 because as close as it is to perfect, nothing in this world is absolutely perfect. // 9

2266 Vintage Modern Reviewed by: aerosmithfan95, on march 08, 2013

Features: After 4.5 years of playing guitar, I finally bought a tube amp and a great one at that. I've been thinking and researching about this amp months before I bought it. I purchased my Vintage Modern 2266 in September 2012 off of eBay. The guy I purchased it from only put 2 hours tops into it, took great care of it, and it still had the the "Initial set-up" sticker on the face (still does now). The unique thing about the newer Vintage Moderns (like mine) is that they also come in a black option as opposed to only being in purple when they first came out. It didn't come with a cabinet, so I purchased a Marshall 1960A cab separately. This is a 50-watt tube head with 4 12ax7 preamp tubes and 2 KT66 power tubes. It also includes an effects loop, and one channel with two Dynamic ranges (Low and High). There is also the standard 3-band EQ, Presence control, Master Volume, Digital Reverb, and two pre-amp vloumes: Detail (Highs and Upper Mids) and Body (Bass and Lower Mids). The Dynamic ranges allow you to select two different "voices" of Marshall amps. The "Low" setting allows you to get a crunchy, Plexi sound out of it that can really get a nice crunch to it and cleans up very well. This setting allows you to get more of a tonal range of a mellow clean to a pretty moderate overdriven rhythm tone. The "High" setting is based more off of a JCM800 with even more balls. IT gives off a really heavy, ballsy rhythm tone that can be used to suit guys that play a lot of heavier rock and even some metal subgenres. It also really nails those "80s Glam Band" tones like Poison and Guns N Roses. I mainly play it in my house. When I'm playing, I usually have the volume set at the "10 o'clock" setting (the highest) into a 15" speaker cabinet. When it's warmer outside, I play it in my garage going into my 1960A cab with the volume on 2 or 3 o'clock. This amp definitely has enough power for me to play at a decent "House" volume as well as enough power for me to have a great gigging amp. // 10

Sound: As I mentioned, this amp is a one channel with two different "voices" of overdriven channels. The "High" option will naturally always be distorted at any volume level. The "Low" dynamic range, at lower volumes, sounds a bit like a dirty Fender amp and as it gets higher, it begins to sound more and more like the classic Marshall Plexi. So I can "clean up" my amp a bit better, I use a Boss Compression/Sustainer to take off a bit of volume and make the gain a bit more even. It allows the amp to clean up a little bit better as I get louder with it. For guitars, I use a 2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard with a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz pickup combination and a 1984 Kramer Focus 3000 with it's stock pickups (Schaller, I believe). Both guitars allow me to get great versatility in my sounds with this amp. The only think is the Kramer's pickups aren't as "hot" as my Les Paul's. This amp, overall, is pretty quite. The only time it really makes any noise is the "High" dynamic setting and when I'm using the the neck or middle single coil on my Kramer. I also run a Boss Noise Suppressor just to get rid of that little noise that the amp has and to prevent any excess noise from developing when I play it louder. This amp also works great with pedals. I run a Boss CS-3, Way Huge Green Rhino OD, Boss CH-1, Boss BF-3, and Boss NS-2 into the front of the amp. It takes pedals surprisingly well and I have a pretty good pallet to add to and make my own. Even without the pedals, it's great. It shines even better when I add my own personal tastes to it, which I think is quite amazing. This amp can get anywhere from a clean, chill tone of blues and funk, to more of a "Led Zep" overdrive, to a rocking 80s tone, to a heavy modern rock/metal tones. I believe this one of Marshalls', most versatile amplifiers. I'll have to rate the sound of this amp at a "10". The more I play this amp, the more I fall in love with it's tone. Even after 6 months of owning it, I'm not sick of it's tone and I'm still finding new sounds out of it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The reliability and durability on this amp is amazing. The previous owner only played it for 2 or 3 hours tops and took great care of it. In the 6 months of me owning it, I have at least 200 hours put into these tubes. It has never broken down on me and it still runs in excellent condition. The tubes on it are still in great condition and I think they'll last me awhile before I have to change them. Gigging wise? I believe that this will be the only amp that I'll be bringing to a Jam session or a gig. I can feel confident in going to a gig without a backup and this amp won't let me down. If I ever buy another amp (Marshall or elsewhere), I would still only use this amp for a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for almost 5 years now and let me tell you, this amp is "my" amp. When I first started playing, I've dreamt of a particular guitar, and when I first heard about his amp (in a Paul Gilbert video), I realized that this is my dream amp. This is the amp that I'll see myself using in 15-20 years from now. If someone stole this or it somehow got lost, I would be distraught that it was gone. I would buy another one as soon as possible to replace it. The only time I'll buy another amp is for different tones on recordings (like if I wanted a particular track to be played on a Vox AC30). Other than that, I wouldn't need another amp. I couldn't really tell you a favorite feature, but I really love the versatility and range of styles that this amp can get. It is great for the guitarist that wants to experiment with different sounds, textures, and sonic ideas. The only think that really irks me about this amp is the noticeable volume boost between the 2 dynamic ranges. The "High" range is just a bit louder than the "Low", so it takes a bit of extra time to adjust the volume (on the guitar) in between songs. Overall, I am in love with this amp and in the 6 months that I've owned it, I love it more and more. I really like everything on it and my Impression on it is a 10.

// 10

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ DSL40C 9 Guitar Amplifiers 08/01/2014