2466 Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 07/18/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: 2466
The 2466 100-watt head is an all-valve, single-channel amplifier with a choice of 2 "dynamic ranges" selectable by footswitch.
 9.4
 8.5
reviews (3) pictures (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
2466 Reviewed by: SlashWannabe1, on april 17, 2009

Purchased from: Private Owner

Features: Amplifier was Made in late 2008. The versaility of this amplifier covers nearly any spectrum of music you could think of (especially Metal to Blue Grass to Blues to Rock and pop). Since it is a 1.5 channel you wont be be able to get all the versatility this amplifier gives in one song unless you are lightning quick with volume roll down. it's not a problem for me as I have a Fender Bandmaster Tube Amplifier on a Switch specifically for cleans while my Vintage Modern is for the Dirty sounds. Besides that, Who buys a Marshall for the cleans? It has the common amplifier settings like, Presence, Bass, Treble, Middle, Master Volume and Reverb among it's own brand of unique Distortion controls such as Detail and Body. The Reverb on this amp is hardly noticable even on 10 it's very dark sounding but still has a use in the right application. It maybe would have been better if they deleted that option than give people something to complain about. I do wish it had a truly clean channel instead of depending totally on rolling the guitar volume down on Dynamic Low Range. The Body control shapes the girth and bottum end of your guitar sound so you can give your Strat the balls it always lacked or take a bit of meat out of your Les Paul to cut through the mix. To give you an idea of it's sound character, a JCM 800s body setting would be at 2 and much more girth is to be found for metal playing. At 10 on the body and 9 on the Master Volume your house may explode, even with a 2x12 cab! And 4x12 volume and power is enough to put you in jail even if heard from a mile away. The Detail option is basically where all your gain and high end is found, at 6 on the detail it has the max gain of a JCM 800 with a Les Paul. At 10 you can easily do metal so long as your body control is set appropriate. A good sound can be found just by adjusting these 2 controls side by side then adjusting the EQ on your amplifier. Also with the Mid boost button pressed in your Strat can gain back the mid range it badly needs to cut through the mix and on a Les Paul it puts you firmly in a Metal territory. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Les Paul Copy equiped with Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pick ups which just sounds absolutly beautiful through this amp. This amplifier can suit most styles of music because of it's dynamic ranges and Detail and Body knobs that can basically shape any sound you want from any genre. I must say I play a lot of Guns N Roses and Velvet Revolver and almost everything Slash does along with a wide spectrum of Rock N Roll and this amplifier nails it down. From Creadence Clear Water Revival to Black Sabbath to 50s to 70s rock this amp can do it all! Even country. The problem is though since it is a 1.5 channel amp you obviously need to set it up different if you are going to play Country or other clean sounding stuff because you wont be able to get all the versatility in the same song you are playing unless you are very fast at rolling your volume knobs down or have a boost pedal on the Low Dynamic Range. The Distortion is very brutal depending on how you set the amp up and what pickups you are using. This is an amplifier you will have to play with if you don't have any expirence with a 1.5 channel Marshall. I play at home at Bars at local festivals and this amps 100 watts can fill almost any space up with sound. I haven't found it to be noisy at all, I use quality cords and have the amplifier on it's own circut so it never gets interference or noisy. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Not much to go wrong with it except for Tubes and if you have ever owned a tube amp you know this sort of thing is like downgrading a car because it has bad tires and it really doesn't say much about the cars build quality and tube wear deffinitly doesn't say anything about this Amplifier!. With that said Tube wear under consistant Live gigging volume might be around 8 months to a year or less if you are concerned about tube wear. Under bedroom levels 1-2 the tubes should last at least a year and a half at which point most tube amplifiers generally have tubes replaced. I've had it for 4 months and it is about 7 months old itself. I'd take it to a gig without a backup I have that much confidence in it. It has never broken down yet but I assume every amp will sooner or later and I've heard many artists Who use this amp without a backup for year long tours without any replacement tubes even. // 10

Overall Impression: A Few Complaints have been made about the amp lacking Gain but in reality it is just the fact that this amplifier has very clean player dynamics, so what you play will be heard and Guitar quality becomes of importance mostly in the area of pick ups. it's got Metal gain with the detail dimed and the body set generous with the mid boost pushed in but the only difference is you can hear every distorted note and it makes you a better player!. it's a great amplifier and if you have made the choice to buy this amp hopefully it's because you played it and know what it can do. // 10

2466 Reviewed by: ^Slash^, on august 27, 2007

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: This all tube Marshall amp is the 100 watt version of it's 50 watt brother. The amp is one of the few new models Marshall has released. The amp covers my ground pretty great. I play a wide variety of Hard blues rock, and some metal. The amp only has 1 channel. You cannot treat this amp as a 2 channel amp. The low range is more for people with single coil pickups (Strats/Tele's). If you treat this amp as a 2 channel amp you will not like this amp at all as there is a huge volume jump from the low dynamic range to high dynamic range. If you have a humbucker in your guitar than stay in high dynamic range and use the volume knob, as the amp cleans up great for the given amount of gain. Also don't be fooled by the name. This amp is not a modern sounding amp at all. It just has modern controls (Detail/Body pre amp controls) plus the digital reverb. The knobs on the amp are simple. From left to right it goes: digital reverb, master volume, 3-band EQ: bass/middle/treble. Then you have the dynamic range Switch and the mid boost switch. The best part of this amp is the two last controls. Detail and Body controls. They are pre amp gain controls. The detail control gives you more or less high frequencies and the body controls the bottom end frequencies. I haven't used this amp Live but I'm sure it will hold it's own. The only thing the amp doesn't have is footswitchable mid boost as it fattens your tone and is pretty good for the lead parts and it is not that great to walk over to the amp and press the button over, and over. Also LED's on the footswicth would have been nice. I'm giving this amp a 7 on teh features because well there aren't that many features except for reverb. And really isn't a two channel amp. // 7

Sound: I use a Epiphone Elitist LP Custom. The amp is great for my style of music. I play B.B. King to Stevie Ray Vaughan to Zeppelin to Guns N' Roses to Sabbath etc you get the idea. Now the high dynamic range gives you enough gain for classic rock and some modern rock. But if you want more for a better metal tone than I recommend an OD/Boost pedal. The well it doesn't really have a clean channel but the low range is basically one, but you can't treat it at one. It just gives you that dimed JTM sound without blowing out your windows. Also my recommendations to get a good sound out of the amp is to set teh EQ flat, and put the Detail/Body where you want it and fix the EQ after. As the pre amp doesn't control just how much gain you have but controls your tone more than the EQ knobs. Overall sound is great if you play and kind of classic rock. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm pretty sure you can easily depend on this amp. I've only had it for a few weeks now and nothing wrong has appeared. But I'm sure this amp wil last me many, many years and will probably be my main amp through that time. I have to write more in this section but there is really nothing to talk about as I haven't had any problems yet with the amp, and I wouldn't expect any soon. // 10

Overall Impression: I mentioned what styles of music I play and already said that this amp is absolutly wonderful for those styles. I've been playing 2 and a bit years. I sold all my other "crap" gear and put the money towards this. I asked all the questions I needed prior to buying the amp as I was spending more than I was comfortable with but I defenitly don't feel like I did a wrong thing there! If the amp were stolen I would find the guy/gal who took it and give them some electro-shock for a good day or so. But if I can't I will save up and buy another. I love the simplicity of the amp, I love any simple amp. I hate the non foot-switchable mid boost, I really want that on the footswitch. Favourite feature would have to be the Detail/Body controls. I actually did compare a lot of amps as I spent a good 2 months finding the one I wanted. I compared it to a bunch of Laney's (already owned the GH50L but had to sadly sell it as I have no room), and Orange, Vox, Fender and a bunch of other amps. // 9

2466 Reviewed by: jreikes, on july 18, 2013

Features: As one of the other reviews stated, there aren't a lot of features here - but the features are all great. It's not a true 2-channel amp, so when you switch between high and low dynamic range, there is a large volume change. There are a few ways you can address this to make it behave more like a traditional 2-channel amp. What I used to do is keep the dynamic range footswitch just below my EQ's footswitch. When I engaged high dynamic range, I was also simultaneously engaging my EQ to cut the volume down a bit - with the net effect of fairly stable volume and a big jump in gain. You can also just leave it on high dynamic range and roll back on the guitar volume. The effects loop is excellent and offers the choice of instrument level or line level. My current pedal board (and the wiring in my house) favors the line level setting, but the ability to run either adds a lot of versatility. I don't use reverb much when I play, but it's there if you want it. The master volume does not work like a regular master volume. I don't know the specifics of how this works, but the effect is similar to an attenuator - your tone does not suffer from backing off the master volume. Pay attention to this. It's a big deal. There are a few pedals I do strongly recommend you pair with this amp. 1. Put a good overdrive pedal in front of it and you will add all kinds of new dimension to what it can do. I usually use a Keeley-modified TS-9 Tube Screamer, but my Fulltone Plimsoul also works well with it. I've tried a Fulltone OCD in front and didn't like it. Make sure the try your OD pedal with both the low dynamic range and high dynamic range settings - there are two completely different animals hiding in there. 2. Put an EQ in the effects loop. This is a vintage-voiced amp, but an EQ will let you get a totally modern sound out of it at the press of a button. I use an MXR 10-band (M-108) (which works much better at instrument level than line level). If you mid-scoop, turn down the input gain on the EQ and turn up the output volume (but not so far that it clips), you get a wicked modern sound out of it. 3. Put a volume pedal in the loop (not in front). Again, it's not a true 2-channel amp, so this will help you adjust for the volume changes. You'll need to get a volume pedal that's made for active pickups for it to work properly in the loop. I use an EB 25k pedal (incidentally, this pedal works better at line level than instrument level). Note that volume pedals suck tone, so try not to roll it back more than 1/4 of the way. 4. ISP Decimator G-String noise suppressor. This amp is dead silent on its own (assuming your guitar has quiet pickups). But once you add an OD pedal and run cables for the EQ in your effects loop, you'll introduce a bit of noise. With the OD and EQ, you can get full-on metal tones out of this amp, but now you're putting that little bit of pedal noise through a ton of gain and you'll need a noise suppressor to clean up the noise when you aren't playing. // 9

Sound: I play through a Japanese-made Ibanez with DiMarzio pickups, a Gibson Les Paul Traditional, and an American Standard Strat with Lindy Fralin pickups. Each one works great with this amp, though the Ibanez is my favorite. I play a wide range of music including jazz, blues, rock, classic rock, and metal. The amp covers all of these beautifully and I've never had another person play through the amp and not fall in love. There is only one downside: this is not a particularly loud amp for 100 watts. It's got enough clean headroom for 99% of situations, but if you have a loud drummer and a loud 2nd guitarist, you might struggle to keep up without letting a little distortion in. Tip: it'll make much more volume for cleans in high dynamic range with the gain turned down than it will in low dynamic range with the gain a little higher. If you're playing with some distortion (even just modest classic rock levels), there's more than enough volume to make everyone in your local bar's ears bleed. As for tone, it's a perfect 10, regardless of your style. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think I've had this amp for about 5 years now and the only issue I've had is the power indicator light has burnt out twice (this is a known issue with the bulbs they made early on and the replacements are supposed to be better). It works fine even without a power indicator light. I've replaced the tubes once, but they were still testing as good. I've gigged with it and brought it to/from practice sessions countless times without a problem. Full disclosure: I have a light-duty flight case for it and I try to treat it well, so that could be why it's been trouble-free. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this amp. If it were stolen, I'd replace it in a heartbeat. It's super Marshall-y when you want it to be, but can cover SO MUCH more if you want (again, see my comments above about pedals). The only downside to it is you're talking about a half stack here. So it takes up a lot of space in your house and is a pain to bring anywhere. If you play in a band, they may hate you for taking up extra stage space. And your back will hate you when you're carrying it out to your car at 1:00 in the morning. This is not a flaw with this particular amp, just the price you pay for having this type of amp. I've been on the lookout for a good little combo amp for years now, but I'm so spoiled by this amp that nothing has ever been good enough. // 10

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ MG30CFX 9.9 Guitar Amplifiers 12/02/2014