6100LM Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 09/12/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: 6100LM
It has three channels that can be controlled from the panel of the amp or from a threeway footswitch. It can also be controlled via midi.
 Features: 9.5
 8.8
 8.7
 8.9
reviews (2) pictures (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
6100LM Reviewed by: Muppet, on september 27, 2007

Features: This amp was Marshall's 30th anniversary model. The anniversary model came in two models, the 6100 and the 6100LM (Lead Mod). Mine is the 6100LM so that is what I'll review and not the other one. It was made back in 1995 and is not made anymore. It has three channels that can be controlled from the panel of the amp or from a threeway footswitch. It can also be controlled via midi, witch is very cool, but useless for me because I prefer the footswitch. It's very versatile within the range of rock and metal. It won't do jazz very good, but it's a pretty fine amp for whta I play (heavy metal, thrash, classic rock, hard rock and so on). It's a 100w all-valve amp. It has enough gain for Dimebag kinda stuff, but I rarely use that much gain. It has a lot of usefull features such as low volume compensation, a Switch that makes it use only half of it's power, which is very nice when practising at home. // 9

Sound: I am mainly using two guitars with this amp: a Gibson Les Paul Classic and a Custom JEH Superstrat. The JEH has a low output humbucker that allows the amp to get cranked without turning into nasty fuzz or get too skinny. It's not very noisy, allthough I do get some noise when it's cranked to the max on the lead channel, but not as much as I had expected. I run it though a standard Engl 4*12" cabinet, a really good cabinet btw. It has three channels: clean, crunch and lead. The clean sound is very much like a Marshall clean, but more clean. It's very varm sounding, but not 100% clean. Very good for harder rock styles and metal, but it will never compare to a Fender clean. The crunch channel is not so very gained, but it has two buttons that adds a pretty good amount of gain. Perfect for that sweaty, dirty rythm stuff, lot's of fat tone. The Lead channel can have very much gain, way too much for me, but if controlled it sounds damn sweet for fast soloing and shredding. It's also good for lead lines as it cuts through very good. I use it like a boost, so the tone is almost the same as on the crunch channel, but sith a little more gain and a little louder. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would never use it on a gig without a back up because the lead channel has some issues, it doesn't always work, allthough I got that fixed very easy. It's really a solid piece of amp, but because of the lead channels, disfunction I would prefer to have some kind of back up. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a really good match for my needs. I compared it to many different amps (incl. Peavey, Vox, Marshall, Fender, Engl, MESA) and I found this to be really good, epecially for the price I got it for. If it was stolen I would probaly find something else, but that's just because I'm courious and want to try something different and I had a pretty hard time finding this because it's discontinued. // 8

6100LM Reviewed by: Darkflame, on september 12, 2012

Price paid: C$ 600

Purchased from: Local classfields

Features: The 6100LM was made in 1995. It has three channels: Clean, Overdrive, Lead. The clean channel reproduces a JTM45 circuit. The overdrive channel, however, has three modes which work like the newer JVM models from Marshall. The first one is a reproduction of a JTM45 on slight breakup, the second is a 1959 plexi and the third one is a JCM900. The lead channel is a boosted JCM900. The footswitch allows to go from one channel to the other, and that's it, pretty straightforward. The amp also has a plethora of other features: two effects loops (parallel or series), 8 or 16 ohm speaker outputs, separate channel EQs, midi switching, and it can be used with half its power, bringing it down to 50 watts. There is also a low volume compensation. Basically, it is there to compensate the tone loss in a low volume amplifier. If you turn it on while playing with a very low volume, you still get the sound you would get from the amp if you had the volume at around 12 o'clock. This allows to hear the actual tone of the amp at bedroom volumes. There are also frequency cutters, one for the lows and one for the highs. Overall, this amp has all the features that would be expected from it, except maybe a reverb. This is, obviously, a tube amp. Since it is the LM model, it uses 6l6 tubes instead of the traditional el34 Marshall usually uses. The amp can be rebiased to accomodate them, however. // 10

Sound: I use a lot of different guitars on this amp, ranging from a Fender Rosewood Telecaster to a Gibson Les Paul with P90s. I also have a Gibson SG, a Gretsch G5122, a MusicMan Silhouette HSH, and more. I have been able to hear it with every kind of pickups, and the amp always sounds good. The cleans are very good, pristine, very clear, they cut through very well. The overdriven tones are always good, though the third overdrive and the lead channel are too distorted for me (I mostly play indie/alternative rock, think Placebo or Silversun Pickups). There is no white noise as long as the gain knob isn't abused, and the crazy amount of knobs and channels produce a very throaty overdriven tone. It is very bright; I also have an Orange AD30, which sounds much darker and meatier. It is interesting to note that I actually have played the amps this one models, and it sounds very close to them, at least to me. The fact that it uses 6l6 tubes made me nervous, but it sounds amazing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have never had any problem with this amplifier. However, I have heard some horror stories about it being unreliable, especially the combo model. The input jack once popped behind the front panel, but as I bought this amp second-hand and had not looked at the input jack before, I can assume it will not happen again now that I have taken proper care of it. The third button on the footswitch has a tendency to get stuck, but the footswitch looks like some beer was spilled on it. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for around eight years. This is one of the many amps I own, including a '67 Fender Bassman, a Fender Twin from the early 90s, an Orange AD30 and a Traynor Custom Valve. I did research a lot on this amplifier before buying it, and I knew I really wanted it before actually getting it, which helped a lot with my purchase. If I lost it, I would most likely try to find it again. My favorite feature has got to be the Low Volume Compensation switch, as it allows this amp to be used in any circumstance. I can actually play it during the night without waking anyone in my family, yet still have a very good tone. I usually play it with an A/B/Y pedal in stereo with my AD30, and it blends perfectly. The clean channel is not as sparkly as the one on my Twin, but can sound similar to the Bassman (when the treble switch is used). Overall, this is a superb amp that never fails to impress me. // 9

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Valvestate VS30R 6.1 Guitar Amplifiers 04/21/2014