AS50D Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 02/06/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: AS50D
Marshall's AS50D is a 50-watt, 2 x 8" acoustic guitar combo amp with 2 channels, including a phantom-powered microphone channel. It features a redesigned tweeter, digital chorus and reverb, and an anti-feedback notch filter. Each channel sports its own volume, EQ, FX loop, and D.I. output. Master volume, line out and RCA inputs round things out nicely.
 Features: 8.5
 8.7
 8.3
reviews (2) pictures (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
AS50D Reviewed by: Guitarist No.24, on february 11, 2008

Features: This amp came out in 2007, following on from the success of the AS50R (which is also not reviewed here). I believe there is very little difference between the two. The amp features two channels, one for instrument (standard jack) input and one for microphone (XLR input) and instrument or auxiliary (I have used instrument and mic at the same time on this channel, so I guess you can use all three simultaneously). Both these channels also have seperate volume and bass and treble controls on them as well. In terms of effects, the amp has reverb and chorus (with depth and speed controls) which cane be applied to both channels independently or simultaneously. The reverb sounds especially good and on full setting makes it sound like I'm playing in a cave (interesting but not necessarily good to listen to). The amp also has anti-feedback controls (which I never use, and not entirely sure how to) which allows you to play at higher volumes without feedback, and a good old master volume control. The only thing this amp could do with is a some sort of delay effect, but if you have an effects pedal then this is no biggy. The back board holds the power input (standard kettle lead), along with effects loop send and return, and also a DI out (XLR) and Line out (standard jack) and also a jack for the footswitch (which I haven't got and don't really see that much point in). This amp has enough for power for most non- professional players I'd say. it's perfect as a practice amp, and the DI output means you could use it in a gig situation. On it's own, it would be fine for a pub sized venue, but not much bigger. // 7

Sound: I use a Ibanez TCY10 electro acoustic with it, and it makes the guitar sound very full, and generally far better than it does unplugged. My guitar has a piezo pickup and it deals with that no problem. My music style is quite broad-ranged, but I use this for some of the Indie stuff my band does, and also for classical pieces and folk/blues. Personally, I think it suits blues the best of all of these, especially with a little chorus. The amp is not noisy at all, even with treble full up there's only a faint hiss, in fact the only problem I've had with it terms of the sound is that I have it in my room and it makes my CD rack vibrate (which can be surprisingly noisy). // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it too long, but it seems very very sturdy, and it's had a few careless bashes. I can rely on the store where I got it from to deal with any mishaps anyway as they're official Marshall dealers. I would have no problem using it at a gig with no back up, absolutely none at all. // 9

Overall Impression: I took a while before buying this amp, trying to figure out what was best, and in the end it came down to me going to local shops and just playing all the acoustic amps under 250 that they had. Some were better in terms of features, but no where near the sound. It really does just sound like your guitar, but better. If it was stolen I'd come close to suicide, then save up and buy either this again or AS100D which is better but more expensive. The best feature about the amp is the Twin channels, which allows the amp to support two people (me with a DigiTech Jamman, which means a mic and guitar take one amp input) and the lead singer. If you're not sure that this is the amp for you, then I strongly suggest you go to your local store and just play around with it for a bit. That's all the convincing you'll need. // 9

AS50D Reviewed by: watfordkev, on february 06, 2012

Purchased from: local music store

Features: This is the first Marshall I have bought new, following recommendation and use of a friend's. The features are amazing. It will take a guitar and mic in purpose built individual inputs, phantom-powered XLR mic input for condenser mics, AND stereo phono inputs for running any in-line electronic devices such as drum machine, backing tracks etc etc. Speakers are 2 x 8 inch with 'chromed' tweeters, so the sound is very clear but with plenty of oomph too. The chorus & digital reverb can be assigned by channel, so you may have reverb on the guitar and not on the mic or vice versa etc. It is so versatile, and the feature list combined with the portability made my mind up to buy. It's also very light to carry, which is another real plus! Additionally, the look is great, a distinctive brown/brass scheme which reeks quality. The rear is completely covered and closed in which although it robs me a space to store footswitch, mains lead, trailing socket etc., it's probably far better long-term to protect the thing! // 10

Sound: It's marketed as an acoustic amp, and I use my Yamaha APX-5 through it, and have not had to use the anti-feedback feature. The sounds I get are controllable, accurate, and with very little noise at any volume level. I also run my Yamaha SG1500 electric through it, and it works very well for that too in a band that plays covers, where I use a DigiTech mfx unit, with some chorus/flange/reverb and very little distortion. I have overdriven it a little to test it and suspect a highly overdriven/distorted sound would not be the best application for it. My Shure SM58 mic also works great with the amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The only issue I have is the control knobs feel far less sturdy than on my Line 6 Spider II for instance. The Marshall's casing 'shrouds' and protects the controls, but still, I think the knobs are not the best. I always smile when I read about backup... I have none as such, so yes I depend upon it totally. I've only owned it a few months and although it's still little used, it did fly off the back seat of my car the other week when I had to brake quickly, and incurred zero damage. I still think Marshall could make better knobs though! Hence the mark down to 9 on this! // 9

Overall Impression: I play solo acoustic, in a small acoustic group, and also in an electric group. This is amp is a first for me in that it's equally useful at home, in the rehearsal studio and small/medium gigs. I've been playing for around 30 years now, and have owned around 10 amps. I've never had a bad one, but this one is streets ahead of all the others for a combination of sound, build + component quality, ergonomics, price, style, portability. Yes would replace if lost/stolen. I wish the mains socket were recessed and the cable could be stowed somewhere. // 9

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ DSL40C 9 Guitar Amplifiers 07/28/2014