AVT150 Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 11/11/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: AVT150
The AVT150 combo boasts more channels and features than any other Valvestate amplifier before. Its four channels are: Acoustic Simulator, Clean, Overdrive 1 and Overdrive 2.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 8.9
 8.4
 8.9
 7.8
reviews (13) pictures (2) 21 comments vote for this gear:
AVT150 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 23, 2005

Features: I bought the amp brand new, it has 4 channels acoustic sim, clean, OD1 and OD2. It comes with a foot switching module which enables you to stomp between channels, it also has some very nifty built in effects such as modulation, delay, chorus, flange and many more. It suits me perfectly as I love to play stuff from heavy metal music to soft rock using the acoustic sim. If I was to say one thing I would add to the amp it would be adding wah to the effects but that is only minor and as I own a wah pedal, it really isnt a problem. My wah and a few other of my effects pedals such as MXR Phase90 and Boss MT-2 pedal are linked up via effects loop and it works really well. I use this amp for practice on volume level 2 but I'm safe in the knowledge to know if I want to crank it right up to 9 or 10 it will blow every one away, I also know if I want to expand and add yet more volume! I can buy the AVT112 cab and add another 100Watts of power to and already truely amazing amp. // 10

Sound: I'm currently using an Ibanez GRG270B and I play heavy rock music like the Foo Fighters, it suits my style easily. It can sound pretty much any way you want it. Whether you want nice clean tone with abit of chorus effect. Whether you wanna play fuzzy metal music with high gain and some modulation. What you wanna play, it can do. The clean channel sounds crisp as I said before and at any volume. The distortion just kills everything that moves. This amp can be so bassy and can really make you feel the noise go right through you. An excellent experience. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As most of you will know, Marshall amps are probably the best in the business for reliability. I've had my amp a little over 2 months now and I have test driven it to how I am going to use it. It's been gigged, Its been put in cars and carried around with the occassional knock. I never use backup at gigs because I cant afford another amp as I'm a student. If you take care of it and dont throw it down stairs, it will last a life time. // 10

Overall Impression: Over all this amp suits me down to the ground. I have been playing guitar a little over a year and it really has changed me for the better. Before I was a crap guitar player and was trying to replicate my favourite bands and was just getting it wrong. This new amp has inspired me and I've started to write my own stuff. I have used many guitars from Epiphone SG's to Ibanez RG's. This amp is perfect for any style, it is a very reasonable price considering the package. When I bought the amp, I never knew it would be so great, I just thought it was gonna be a step up from my practise amp, I didn't realise the size of it until it arrived, I was skeptical at first that I wouldnt be able to hack it as I looked at the front and saw about 30 different knobs. But its a friendly giant and really does make playing guitar a joy. I would definately buy it again if it was broken or stolen. If you buy this amp, You wont be disappointed. // 10

AVT150 Reviewed by: YngwieM, on december 11, 2003

Purchased from: Marcus's Music

Features: Now...this amp is some piece of work! With 4 channels, 10 built-in effects which can be altered and a neat footswitch (with the 4 channels and 2 switchs for clean and overdrive effects), I'd say this would be a good second amp choice (ie. after the small, unversatile 30 watt amps). Unfortunately it just doesn't have the volume to do anything massive at a gig as I end up turning the volume knob past 3/4, which is never a good thing, just to cut it over the drums. It has various jack inputs for effect stuff at the back but I have no idea what they actually are used for. The 4 channels are as follows - Acoustic Simulator, Clean, Overdrive 1 and Overdrive 2. Each channel has their separate Volume knob. The Acoustic Simulator has a Top knob and a button which adds more 'body' to it. The Clean channel has a Gain knob and a button which makes it 'brighter'. The OD1 and OD2 channels are the same, each with a Gain knob and a Scoop button. Using the footswitch you can change between all these and turn on/off effects. There is a Presence and a main Volume knob which apply to all the channels. The built-in effects are reasonably good. They include delay, flanger, chorus and all sorts of reverb. I am disappointed with the flanger just because I don't like the sound, but the chorus is real nice especially with the acoustic simulator. Unfortunately OD1 and OD2 have to share the same effect settings. The Acoustic Sim. and the Clean also have to share the same effect settings. // 8

Sound: I use my Ibanez RG550 with H/S/H pickup config. when using the amp. I play full out rock and it just fits perfectly with my style and guitar. With decent pickups, unwanted feedback can be avoided even at high volume and wanted feedback can be easy to get by just thrusting your pickups to just right beside the amp. Like all Marshall's, there is a really wide variety of settings which allow for almost all styles. The clean channel does not distort at all at high volumes. I think that OD2 should be a bit more brutal and pack a greater punch and then you could use OD1 as a 'quieter' overdrive. This amp might not go down too well with metal players because of the lack of balls in the distortion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Like all Marshall's, extremely reliable in any environment. I have used it in various gigs without a backup and it's just perfect. There seems to be one running problem with mid-range Marshall's, and that's the internal fans. They can be replaced at a small cost but it is annoying when they start making strange noises in the middle of a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: I'd say the only thing better than this amp would be a bigger Marshall/Peavy/Laney/etc. It really is the best 150 watt amp around. Maybe not a first-timers amp but a real good choice for after the practice amps. I first seen and heard this amp from a friend and I fell in love with it. I bought one and my mate bought one. We all think it's great. Recently another mate of mine has bought one because of our good comments and he also loves it. That has to mean something... // 10

AVT150 Reviewed by: rickyrodant, on october 31, 2005

Purchased from: chandlers guitars

Features: I don't know what year it was made in but it must be fairly recently because it's first hand. It plays great, great clean tone, and overdrive for that matter too. It has 4 channels: acoustic simulator, clean, od1, od2, has an FX loop: 7 effects and 3 reverbs and a headphone jack. I use this as a practise and gig amp, it's good for practising with headphones and volume on 1 so definately enough power. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with a Westfield Les Paul and it absolutely rocks it works better with the treble pickup but maybe that's just the sound I prefer. It suits the music I play, Offspring, Metallica, Nirvana, and it works well with all of these. You can definately make it noisy its got 150 watts and this baby cranks you can have it quiet but then it get loud very steaply. It can make a wide variety of sounds there are too many settings for me to be asked to describe but after a few hours it works out easily, lots and lots of variety especially with the effects. The clean channel is very stable and stays clean unless you put a lot of gain on of course. Both the overdrives are good, od1 is more of a punchy overdrive-like what AC/DC used in Back In Black, and the od2 is just a monster of distorted overdrive, perfect for all heavy stuff, but on fairly low setting suits HIM songs well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I definately depend on it, this thing is built like a tank. There's no chance your gonna break it and I doubt it would blow up in a gig so I would definately rely on it. It hasn't broke down yet and I doubt very much if it will. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly punk rock, metal and grunge and it definately suits those types and the acoustic sim is pretty good. I've been playing a year and a bit, I use this amp with a Westfield Les Paul and Squier Strat. If it was stolen I would find out who did it ain't drop it on ther head. I just love the whole thing it's such a great amp and it has everything exept wah really so a best buy in my books. // 10

AVT150 Reviewed by: neuroplay.com, on march 15, 2004

Purchased from: Jackson Music

Features: I believe this amp model is withint he 5-10 year old range. I've only had this amp itself for a couple months now. Who knows how long it was sitting on the shelves. This amp has an okay selection of tones. It fits everything from the early 50's elvis - 60's beatles - 80's everything and has an okay grunge tone. Don't get me wrong, the tones and distortions are great. But it only has two types of distortion. That's most than most amps have but not as much as I'm used to. It has 4 channels (clean, acoustic, overdrive, and overdrive 2) It comes with a floor switch that has the effects swtich on it. It has 2-16 effect boards built in effects. The clean and acoustic share one board and the distorted channels share the other. It also has an effect loop, headphone jack and extension cab jack. The 4 channels are great for playing when you don't want all the fancy equipment and tons of chords. The clean and overdrive one channels are ones i don't use but that's just me. I don't think that they have enough of what they need, i'm not sure what that is, but they need more of it. I think it's channels are great the way they are though. The solid state 150 watts this baby has is plenty enough to get you by. It doesn't quite seem like 150 watts though. I find my self putting it up to 5 to match my drummer, but I think I might be doing something wrong. // 10

Sound: I use an Ibanez RG321 and an Austin ERA special through it and the sound is great. With the humbuckers and the OD2 channel the distortion's nice and warm and dirty. But switch to the double single coils and put it on the acoustic channel and you've got a nice smooth acoustic guitar, that in my opinion sounds better than an actual acoustic. It's so big that it has a computer fan and the fan gets kind of noisy sometimes. The feedback and fuzz on it gets in the way and is annoying sometimes, but it can add a little flavor. It's good for grunge and older rock. Acoustic songs are great too. It's not too good for heavy metal, but it'll do. It has a massice selection of effects that I've never seen with any other amp. The 16 effects wan be adjusted in mix, level, amount, and the effect itself. At hig volumes everything mushes together if your within several feet of it, but what amp doesn't do that? At high volumes it picks up all the screeches of your hand sliding and all of the note switches and every little noise, but if you need it that loud go to a docter. The disortion is brutal enough. If you need a sound of it, listen to "Dead Leaves and The Dirty Ground" by The White Stripes, or perhaps any distorted song on the "White Blood Cells" cd. That is almost the exact distortion. I wouldn't doubt that Jack White himslef uses this amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The cap on one of the knobs fell off when I was moving it (I have to move it almost everyday, I'm in 4 bands) but that's it! everyonce in a while it starts to get noisy and sounds like something's wrong but it stops after a half hour and everything is normal. I would completely depend on this for a show, I would depend on it for a house, this thing is rock solid. // 10

Overall Impression: I play more of a grunge and heavy metal type if music. It's good with the grunge but not heavy enough with the metal. But if you set it on acoustic and mix in a GNX 1 you have some serious heavy metal that rocks like a mother fucker. I've been playing for a year and a half and I haven't seen anything this great, Marshall is the greatest amp company. I own a Marshall G15MS and a bunch of miny practice amps but none sound as great as this. The 3 guitars I own sound great through this and I have to check it's me that's playing because the sound is so unbelievable. The only thing that I regret is that I bought the 150. I could of got the 100, or even 50, and saved a bunch of money. This amp is great. If it got stolen I would buy have to wait and buy something else, the AVT 150 head and slant cab. I'm more of a stack person. The channel switch is great and each tone is sweet. The effects are unbelieveable considering they came with it. There is no such thing as silent playing, the speaker still ommits sound when the headphones are plugged in, but who thought of playing quiet when you buy this much power? I just wish it wasn't so heavy. // 10

AVT150 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 25, 2010

Purchased from: eBay

Features: My AVT150 was bought used, and I know that it's an old model, but it's beautiful. 4 channels - Acoustic Sim, Clean, Crunch, and HiGain. It also has two effects channels, one for the crunch channels and one for the clean channels. Each of these has I think 12 different effects? Most of them are types of reverb, however the delay / reverb on the HiGain channel is my favorite. The amp also has a headphone jack, emulated line out, FX loop, and ports for 4 ohm or 8 ohm. It's Marshall's Valvestate amp, and it's a perfect balance between tube and solid-state, in my humble opinion. It can play quiet enough to be practiced on if need be, but it really sings when you crank it past 1 o'clock. And this thing gets LOUD. I've played with it live, both mic'd and un-mic'd, both sounded beautiful. Finally, it has a 'Bright' switch for the clean channel, and a 'Scoop' switch for the crunch channels. I give it a 9 because the FX loop is of the sort that plays both the straight guitar and whatever goes through the FX loop at the same time - which means no volume pedals or distortion pedals. // 9

Sound: Right now, I'm playing an SG Special Faded with 490 p/ups as my main guitar, but I'll soon be switching to Blackouts. I play metal, if you haven't guessed yet, and the only issue I have with this amp is that the distortion is a tad chunky, and a little too low-end heavy. Hopefully the blackouts will help tighten up the bass a little and smooth out the distortion, but that remains to be seen. I play Bullet For My Valentine, Atreyu, Avenged, Metallica, Escape the Fate, as well as lighter stuff like Switchfoot and Anberlin. This can dial pretty close to all of the above sounds with a little bit of tweaking. More importantly, however, this amp will take pedals like a Champ. It absolutely sings with any sort of distortion pedal in front of the clean channel - I've played with my MT-2 and DS-1, with a GE-7 for flavor. The GE-7 hisses a tad with this amp, but it's very worth it. I'm also planning on getting an MXR Fullbore Metal if the Blackouts don't tighten up the distortion enough. This guitar gets a little hissy if you really crank the HiGain channel, but not to the point of unusability. If you turn it past 2 in a confined space, prepare for feedback. This thing is LOUD. However, it has a heartbreakingly warm clean tone. It's like getting a big, warm hug from a teddy bear. The 'Bright' switch adds a little more bite to the clean, but I prefer it deep and warm. With a distortion pedal in front of it, the 'Bright' switch really makes the highs scream - a little unnecessarily so, but I'm sure someone could find a use for it. The clean can get a bit crunchy if you really really crank it, but I have my pickups raised and the gain up anyways, so I'm sure you could tone it down easily. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would absolutely use this amp without a backup. It's a Marshall - which means rock-solid construction. The only issue I've had so far is that the footpedal has a broken light. The crunch-channel FX button's light is always on, but the switch works normally. You just can't tell whether it's on or off. Also, after getting an ugly sound out of the amp one day, I took it apart and tightened all the screws. The result was a much much much tighter sound, and the ugliness was all gone. Beautiful :] // 8

Overall Impression: In addition to the AVT150, I have a Line 6 Flextone II, a Fender Deluxe, and a Marshall MG practice amp. As far as guitars go, I also have a cheap Japanese strat with active single-coils, and a PRS Custom 22 fret. The AVT150 makes every guitar I play on it sound beautiful, and makes other amps sound cheap - with the exception of the Fender Deluxe. It sounds similarly warm on the clean channel, and they both handle pedals very well, but I prefer the Deluxe's handling slightly more. Tube vs. Valvestate, I suppose. At any rate, the AVT's HiGain channel and built-in FX make it my amp of choice for performing and practicing. I'd probably buy a different halfstack if I lost this one, just because I've learned and would like to try something different, but I'd do my utmost to not lose this one, as I love it. A great amp for an entry-level price that will satisfy all sorts of styles. // 9

AVT150 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 08, 2011

Features: This amp is a Marshall AVT150x Valvestate combo. It has a valve pre-amp and a solid-state powerstage. The amp is rated as 150w but the 150w is only delivered when it's used through a 4x12, as is it delivers considerably less. However, the output through its built-in 12" speaker is still more than sufficient for practices and small-to-medium gigs. 4 channels -Acoustic Simulator, Clean, OD1 and OD2, along with 16 built-in digital effects give a myriad of sound options. Admittedly though the built-in effects ain't that hot. Standard Marshall stage-controller comes with this amp (4 channel selectors and FX on/off for cleans or drives) The amp also features a built-in effects loop and a headphone jack. Interestingly for me, and winning the amp bonus points in this category, is that the head unit is sealed and can be removed from the combo to rack-mount and use with an external 4x12. Also is the very welcome "Presence" control (which governs the amount of treble at the pre-amp,) which can make a significant difference if used correctly. All in, I'd give this amp an 8 for features as although the built-in effects aren't anything to scream about, they ARE there, and as stated above the Presence control and detachable head gain this amp a point apiece for features. For an amp in this price range, it'd take some beating. As a case in point, I actually bought this amp as a practice amp and liked it so much that I rack-mounted the head and use it as my first choice head for gigging (ahead of both my Peavey ValveKing and Bugera 6260) In terms of features offered against purchase price, this amp is very, very good value for money. // 8

Sound: One word - Marshall. Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious. I play metal and classic rock (everything from Death to Whitesnake, via Metallica, Black Label Society, Children of Bodom, Danzig, Mr. Big and more) and for my style of music this amp is amazingly versatile - it can handle anything I've yet thrown at it quite comfortably. The 4 channels are all very nice indeed. The Acoustic Sim actually sounds like an Acoustic guitar (rather than a clean w/Chorus tone), the Clean channel is warm and bright, OD1 gives an old-school British fuzzy tone, and OD2 is your standard balls-out Marshall roar. The EQ controls on each channel are nice and sensitive, allowing for great manipulation in tone. This is especially noticable on the OD2 channel, where manipulation of the Mid control in particular can take you from a Tony Iommiesque heavier-than-lead blast to a ferocious scooped-out metalcore shriek, and everything in between. I have to say the OD2 on this is awesome - cutting and clear, but nice and throaty with a tomb-deep but tight bottom end, even at lower tunings (I regularly play in Drop C) and for lead play it simply SHRIEKS. Very little in the way of feedback too unless you're really smashing the guts out of the Gain control. It's quiet when it needs to be and screams when you want it to, which is what all amps should do in my humble opinion. Where this amp falls down in sound is the built-in effects. They're all a bit middle-of-the-road and samey, and don't seem to make an awful lot of difference no matter what's done with them. I use a wide range of guitars through this amp (Gibson LP Custom, Epi Futura Prophecy EX, ESP MII, Ibanez SZ320, and a couple Epi Les Pauls) and what pleases me is that the amp allows the guitars to express their differences - there's a noticable difference between any two given guitars and you can tell which one is which. Which in my experience is quite unusual for a combo. One thing I will recommend to anyone who uses this amp is PUT IT THROUGH A 4x12. The difference is night and day. Seriously. That's not taking away from the off-the-shelf setup at all - this is a cracking amp in its own right. However, when let loose through a 4x12 you could commit war-crimes with this thing. The first time I hooked it up to my 1960B I was AMAZED. So in terms of sound, although the standard sound of the amp is FANTASTIC, it does lose some marks for the digital effects being poor. That said however, when using this amp I don't bother with my pedalboard as I find the sound to be satisfactory, which is a recommendation in itself. The highest prasie I can give this amp is that I hated Marhsalls before I owned this, having never experienced one I liked enough to buy it despite trying any god's amount of them out. This one changed my opinion of Marshall completely. // 7

Reliability & Durability: As above - one word. MARSHALL. This amp is practically bulletproof. Heavy-duty wood for the cabinet covererd in thick black Tolex mean that it's practically impossible to hurt this amp on the outside. I've probably done upwards of 75 gigs with this amp, (in the van Drive to the gig, up the stairs, let whatever crazy support band are there use it, gig, back down the stairs, into the van again) and apart from a tiny rip in the Tolex on the top which was admittedly caused by a spike on one of my boots during some over-enthusiastic soloing posturing there ain't a mark on it. The guts of the thing are solid as hell too, I've been playing it for about 3 years now and never had so much as a peep of trouble out of it. In fact, as a testament to its reliability, it fell off a table it was sitting on at a gig one time, landing face down, and there wasnt the slightest hint of complaint out of it after. That said, I had it serviced and re-valved immediately afterwards, just to err on the side of caution. As regards would I use this amp without a backup, I regularly do as I have complete Faith in it, she ain't let me down yet. Whether on its own in rehearsals or through my 1960B in gigs, this baby can take a licking and keep on kicking. I've had it for 3 years and have it serviced once a year, just to make sure it's in tip-top nick, and it sounds as good today as it did when I bought it. One thing I will say though is this thing is HEAVY. Not just in terms of sound either. If you're going to lug one of these all over the place to gigs, make sure you have a car! // 10

Overall Impression: In short, I love this amp. I've been playing for a long time (nearly 10 years) and am an inveterate gear-head - I love buying and messing about with amps and guitars so I know my onions. I've been well around the block with amps and have tried just about every brand worth the name, and I'm still to find an amp in this price range that could seriously out-gun it. In terms of combos it's pretty much the top of the shop, and the fact that it unloads 150w of Marhall fury when plugged into a 4x12 means that it's more than gig-worthy. (As stated above I actually use this instead of both my Peavey and Bugera heads, though that will doubtless change when my Diamond Nitro arrives) For the budget-conscious metal or rock player, this amp is a dream. Grab one of these and a cheap 4x12 and you've got a 150w Marshall half-stack for not very much moolah at all! Versatility, tasteful tones and a shocking amount of power at a decent price, this amp is the real deal. In closing, i'll sum up briefly: PROS: - "That" Marhall tone at a budget. - Numerous features and settings allow for full tonal control - 150w of wallop when used with a 4x12 but still plenty big enough for practices on it's own - Very tasty Acoustic Simulator, STUNNING OD2 channel - Reliable as Ol' Faithful and tough as hell. CONS: - Needs a 4x12 to unleash it's full potential - Built-in effects are admittedly poor - Weighs a TON - Number of controls may be daunting for inexperienced/younger users But althogether, this amp is a cracking piece of kit and in it's price range is, in my humble opinion, pretty darn close to the top of the pile. // 9

AVT150 Reviewed by: harm0n20, on august 10, 2004

Features: I'm not sure what year it was made in. It's the perfect amp for the style of music I play. I play alot of rock and "pop/rock" if you will. It's got 4 channels. Acoustic simulator, clean, od1 and od2. It has 16 different effects that all sound great. There are no features on this amp that I dont use. I use this amp for small gigs and practicing both with my band and at home in my room. It's got 150 watts so its definately powerful enough. And for those who don't think its loud enough you have to turn up the master volume, then it will get alot louder. The AVT series are a hybrid amp so it has the warmth of a tube amp and the reliability of a solid-state. // 10

Sound: I am using a Gibson Les Paul with the stock pickups and it sounds great! As I said before it fits my style perfectly! It definately puts out enough volume to use at small gigs either inside at a bar or outside at your local park. The clean channel stays clean at all levels of volume and the distortion is awesome! This amp will knock your socks off! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I definately can depend on it. I use this amp for every gig without a backup amp handy. It has never let me down and I dont think it will ever. I could throw this off the roof of a building and it would still work fine. (exaggeration, please do not do this to any of your belongings). // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for about 5 years now, give or take. I own a Gibson Les Paul Standard and am looking to buy a Fender Tornado for a second guitar. I upgraded from a Marshall AVT20 to this amp and I am very pleased. If it were stolen I would call the cops and hopefully find the dick that stole it and if it were lost how the hell would I lose this thing? It's a freakin amp! I love the distortion and the clean channels and I love all of the effects! I do not hate anything about this amp. At first I was thinking about buying a Marshall MG100HDFX but then somebody talked me out of it and I decided to save up a bit more and go for this baby. I am so glad I didn't get the mg! // 10

AVT150 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2006

Purchased from: Bily Hyde Music

Features: This amp was made in 2003. I play a lot of styles from jazz, to rock, to metal, and anything in between! This amp has four channels, acoustic simulator (re-creates guitar to give it a shimmering acoustic sound, with a scoop switch that scoops the mids to make it sounds like a jumbo-bodied acoustic), classic Marshall clean, Overdrive 1, and Overdrive 2. OD1 is used more for classic rock, and OD2 sounds thicker, heavier and is better for metal. Both have scoop switches. It has EQ (low, mid, high) for both overdrive channels, and a seperate EQ for the clean and acoustic channel. I frequently gig and practice with my rock and jazz bands using this amp, and it has plenty of power! After all, 150 watts delivers a fair bit of kick! This is the valvestate version, meaning it is running an el34 tube for the preamp section. // 10

Sound: I use my Gibson Les Paul with this amp, and it compliments it superbly. This is great for my style of music (mostly rock). It is not a noisy amp, even when running the two fans to keep it from overheating when cranked! Massive variety of sounds, has 16 digital effects, all footswitchable. Being a half valve amp, the harder you Drive it, the more pronounced and better the sound is! I have driven it very hard, up to about 7 on the master and it does not even come close to distorting. Very brutal distortion, especially OD2 on high gain. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Owned it for two and a half years, never had an issue with this amp. Played around 100 gigs with this, each and every one without back up. This amp is sturdy, obviously if banged around hard enough, it would break, but hey, what amp wouldn't? Getting a road case built for my it, just for cosmetic and re-sale value! // 10

Overall Impression: As I've stated, I play rock and this amp is great for it. I have played for ten years, and this is the nicest amp I have owned to date! The only let down is the fact it doesnt have EQ for every channel, but you can't have everything and it would have only added to it's already fairly hefty weight! If it were stolen/lost, I would hunt down the criminal and break their legs, and take my amp back. Probably buy another Marshall, maybe not this one but a JCM2000 with a quad box or two. // 10

AVT150 Reviewed by: tallica1708, on june 19, 2006

Features: This amp is made in England. It has a 1x12 cabinetand it is a valve amp, not a tube amp. It is an extremely versatile amp and it comes with a footswitch. It has 4 different amp settings built into one: acoustic simulator, clean, overdrive 1, overdrive 2. I use this amp with an Ibanez jem. The acoustic simulator is amazing. The tone it produces is really warm. It is perfect for strumming. The clean setting is less warm and more harsh, more appropriate for solos or lead parts than strumming. The overdrive 1 and overdrive 2 are slightly different. The first one has less punch and body than the second one. The first one is very good for blues however, I dont like it very much. OD2 is perfect for heavy rock, the music that I like playing. It is great for riffs as well as the solos. This amp is very loud, good enough for small gigs but after you turn up the volume past three quarters of the maximum, it starts to buzz and hiss alot. It has effects loops, although I prefer to plug pedals directly, i.e. amp, efects, guitar. It does come with a footswitch. The footswitch has 6 swiches on it. 4 are to change the amp settings (acoustic, clean, OD1, OD2). The other 2 turn on and off OD1/2 effects and Ac sim/clean effects. The amp comes with 15 effects: 10 reverbs and 5 effects such as chorus, flange, delay. I really like the delay. The accoustic simulator has 3 controls: simulator, volume and a body switch (it adds depth to the tone). the clean has 6 controls: gain, volume, bass, treble, middle and a bright switch which can make the tone brighter or sharper. OD1 and OD2 each have a separate volume and gain knob as well as a scoop Switch and they share middle, bass and treble controls. The amp has an overall volume and presence control. For the effects, OD1 and OD2 share one set while the simulator and clean share another seperate set. The effects sections has controls that affect depth, speed, mix. // 10

Sound: I use this amp with the evolution pickups that come with the Ibanez Jem 7V. I only use the humbuckers. I use the neck pickup with the acoustic simulator and clean and I use the bridge pickup with the overdrive 2. I do not like th OD1. This amp suits me very well. The clean settings are perfect. The distortion is good enough for rock music however it is not heavy enough for people Who play metal and thrash. It becomes noisy when the volume is turned up to full so it is not good enough for bigger gigs. As I said, the only problem is that the distortion is not brutal enough. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is reliable. It is really strong and extremely heavy. It weighs 30 kilos so it is quite a nuisance to transport. I would gig with this amp without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a good amp for people Who want to start jamming in a band. This amp is better than the AVT100 because it has the acoustic simlator which is really really good. It is not good enough for metal or thrash players because the distortion is not brutal enough. I have been laying guitar for 4 years and this is my second amp after a Micro Cube (2 watts only). If it were stolen or lost, I guess I would try out another amp with a more aggresive distortion. It is a greatamp and that is my only regret. // 9

AVT150 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 06, 2007

Features: I don't know what year this amp was made in. This amp suit me quite well for the style of music that I play, but only at band practise cause in my bedroom you have to turn it up to get a good thick distortion and it squeals like hell. I play a lot of stuff like Metallica, Children Of Bodom, Opeth, Trivium, all that sort of stuff. Tis amp can pretty much handle it all but only at high volumes, at low volumes it sounds like one of those MGs. it has 4 channels, Acoustic simulator, Clean, Overdirve 1, and Overdrive 2, and 16 effects. // 8

Sound: I am using an Ibanez RG2550E with this amp and I have to say it sounds really awesome, with the DiMarzio/Ibz pickups. It suits my style very well, which is mostly varying types of metal eg. Pantera Metallica, Children Of Bodom, Opeth, Lamb Of God, Trivium, all that stuff. I also play some Indie as well. The probem with this amp is, when you turn the volume past about 6 even while standing a good bit away from it, it starts squealing and it is increasingly annoying, becuase you have really good tone, and you have to start playing quickly before your eardrums explode out of feedback but there is a way to set the knobs so that this doesnt't happen but I haven't quite fugured that bit out yet. The amp can acheive preety much any sound and I don't need to use any effects pedals the amp would explode with feedback (or so it sounds like it would). The clean channel is only distorted at high volumes if you turn the gain up really high, it's like OD1, so you have to keep the gain fairly low as long as it doesnt't take away from volume. The distortion isnt really that "brutal" but at high volumes without the squeaking it can be brutal enough. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is a very dependable amp and it has been gigged and I never intend to use a backup, it's heavy enough as it is! it has never broken down and it's built like a tank so I don't ever see it breaking down in future! Plus I don't have any other amp so I don't think I would be using a backup anyway! // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and this is a good match but only when the volume is high, when low I just shred anyway with weak distortion but it's still a good sound. I have been playing for three years and I also own an Ibanez RG2550E and a DigiTech Hot Rod Distortion pedal but I don't use it with my AVT, it doesnt't need it. If it were stolen I would buy a Line 6 Spider III, becuase they are good too. I wish it didn't squeak as much when I turn it up, my favourite feature is the built in effects and the acoustic simulator. // 7

AVT150 Reviewed by: sword shredder, on august 17, 2007

Purchased from: Guitar Teacher

Features: This amp has 150 watts of solid state, 2 distortion channels, a clean channel and an acoustic simulator channel. (Mine broke and decided to only let me use the second distortion channel though). None of the distortion channels are very useable though, so I used a pedal for distortion. Apparently the tube in the preamp section gives it the tonal qualitys of a tube amp. I noticed no difference between this and a Marshall MG (that might have been because I was using a distortion pedal though, since the preamp does distortion). It has an effects loop which I never used and a headphone jack (which doesn't bypass the amps speakers). I play in a punk/metal band and a 'The Who' tribute band. I used this amp for playing gigs with a loud drummer. // 6

Sound: I used a Jackson DK2M Dinky with this amp, with a Zoom G1X pedal. This amp sounds terrible for the heavy styles of music being played through it, the rhythm guitarist for my band uses this amp now. This amp does not cut through. I had the Mids on 10 and then boosted the mids heavily with an eq to hear my guitar okay, if you don't it sounds like a fizzy fizzle fizzing a fizzamfz (just ask my R. guitarist). On the other hand, this amp sounds quite good in my 'The Who' tribute band with an OD instead of distortion. This could be because of a drummer Who does not bash his drums so hard it vibrates all the other drums and creates a load of noise. I never had a problem with this amp making background noise, but this could be due to a minimal number of pedals. // 2

Reliability & Durability: The handle has broken, and the channel selector has broken. Some of the pots fell off and recently, the input jack broke when the other guitarist was using it. Not the most dependable of amps, but it has never just 'stopped working' apart from the time I had to tighten the input jack. // 3

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 3 years, and the amp I've replaced this with is a Randall RG50TC. I bought this because my guitar teacher was selling it for 100, and I didn't know better; it's a Marshall! I didn't stop to think why he was selling it. He got a 'Nice Tube Combo' and a year later I'm doing the same. Back when I was still using it, I would have been happy if it was stolen, because I would have to get a better amp! I did not try any other amps when I got this amp. The only other amps I used before this was a Zoom fire-30 and a Squire SP-10. // 3

AVT150 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 16, 2010

Features: I bought this amp back in 2000 for the band I was playing in at the time. Now, after 10 years, its still going strong, after a handful of gigs, and countless hours of home practice. I play mainly punk and metal, but also toy with other genres, and this amp has been perfectly versatile. These days I mainly keep it on the clean channel, with a handful of Boss effects pedals doing the hard work. The amp itself has 4 channels - Acoustic sim, clean, OD1, and OD2, with 2 separate EQs, one for the clean channels, and one for the ODs. It also has a number of on-board effects (chorus, delay, reverb etc), mid scoop for the distorted channels, and a bright Switch for the clean channel. There is an effects loop on the back, a headphone socket, an emulated line out, and a second speaker socket for an expansion cab. 150W of solid state power are plenty for anything up to a small to medium gig. I played 200-ish capacity venues with this, with no help from a PA. It has a single pre-amp tube, the power stage is solid state. The intention was to allow traditional Marshall valve amp sounds in a solid state package. I'm not sure it quite delivers on this promise, but it does sound good for what it is. And the valve is still going strong after 10 years! The amp comes with a 6-way footswitch - one Switch for each channel, and 2 to control the on-board effects. All I would like to have added was a standby switch, but its not essential. I use the Acoustic channel turned to zero as a mute. // 8

Sound: I play a selection of guitars, all fitted with humbuckers. Playing mostly punk and metal, the amp delivers everything I want. The clean channel is very clear and full of life all the way through the gain and volume dials. OD1 is a great crunchy distortion, with plenty of play in it. OD2 is where the amp comes to life - a full on distortion, perfectly complemented by the mid scoop switch, enabling some great metal sounds. Unfortunately, OD2 is pretty much unusable in reality as it is SO noisy, and I've not found a way to cancel this out with a noise gate. The Acoustic simulator is also quite useless, as its overall volume is WAY lower than the other channels. This amp perfectly complements my collection of Boss pedals. Finally, the emulated line-out provides a useful method of recording using the amp. Just make sure you turn down the channels' volumes, or it distorts very easily. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well, 10 years, including a number of gigs and many many hours of home use, and this amp is still running just fine, with the original pre-amp tube still in place. On the strength of that I'd happily use it to gig, although I suppose the tube could pop at any time, so a spare wouldn't go amiss. I've read people have had trouble with the power amp chips basically melting, but I've never had a single problem with this amp. // 10

Overall Impression: These days this amp is primarily used on the clean channel, with a Boss MT-2, CE-2, and ME-70 providing the distortions and other effects. I also have a TU-2 tuner and NS-2 noise gate in the chain. With this set up, and a selection of Epiphone, Gibson and Dean guitars, I am able to play punk, metal, and other genres of rock with ease. If this were lost or stolen, I'd be gutted, but I guess I'd take it as an opportunity to upgrade to a pure valve amp. Personally though, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about solid state amps - this one is far from bad sounding, and has stood the test of time. Any future amp purchase I make (if I ever buy another), I'll happily take one without on-board effects, and with a simple 2-channel setup, as the others on this amp don't see any use. // 9

AVT150 Reviewed by: heffordj, on november 11, 2011

Purchased from: Friend

Features: The Marshall AVT150 is a fantastic amp. With 4 channels: acoustic simulation, clean, overdrive 1 and overdrive 2, this amp can deliver a variety of sounds. The clean sounds lovely, overdrive 1 has a little distortion: good for AC/DC, overdrive 2 starts from where overdrive 1 left off: it has loads of distortion. The acoustic simulation is good, but can be lacking in volume at times. The amp features two separate effects selections. One controls the effects for the clean and acoustic simulation channels, the other for the two overdrive channels. There is a wide variety of effects to choose from and each can be adjusted for the amount of effect and its decay time. The amp is solid state but has a tube in the preamp. Whether this makes any difference is a matter for debate, but the amp still sounds great, although not comparable to a tube amp. Although this amp can supply a huge 150watts, it is limited to less through its one speaker. In order to use the full 150watts the extension cabinet must be bought. Even though not all the power is being used, this amp has never had a lack of volume for me. A footswitch comes with this amp. It allows you change between the channels and turn the effects on and off. There is an effects loop at the back, although I have never used this because the built in effects are plenty good enough for me. // 9

Sound: I use the amp with a Washburn WI200 Pro-E. This has EMG 81 and 85 pickups. As with all Marshall amps they work wonders with EMG's and sound great for rock and metal. I do the odd bit of blues and soul as well and this amp (along with my guitar) is alright although I am sure there are better amps for these styles. The overdrive channels are noisy at times, especially the overdrive 2 channel. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would use this amp without backup and I have never had a problem with it. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this amp. It's fantastic for metal and rock and works well with EMG pickups. If the amp broke I would be tempted to buy another, but if I had enough I would buy a Marshall tube amp instead. // 10

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Haze 40 7.5 Guitar Amplifiers 03/05/2014