AVT150H Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 02/14/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: AVT150H
The AVT150H is the head version of the AVT150 and boasts all the same features and facilities as its combo brother. This includes the excellent "Scoop" facility. On OD1 this radically scoops the mid frequencies whilst tightening the bass for aggressive driving rhythm sounds. On OD2 the middle is again dipped, but a cut in the upper frequencies smoothes out the sound for a more bass heavy (nu-) metal selection.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 8.9
 8.6
 8.9
 8.3
reviews (8) pictures (2) 72 comments vote for this gear:
AVT150H Reviewed by: The Fret Burner, on march 02, 2006

Purchased from: Gak.co.uk

Features: The price stated includes an accompanying 4x12AX cabinet. It is a large ol' bugger with four channels. These are acoustic simulator, clean, OD1 and OD2. It has an effects loop, headphone socket, Twin connections for different ohm outputs (using 1 or 2 cabs) and 16 different effects. It also has a master volume and presence as well as different switches for each channel, but I'll talk about them in the sounds section. // 10

Sound: I use an Ibanez RG350DX with it which has an H/S/H pickup set-up. These sound pretty fruity through the amp, though the acoustic sim. needs the single coil to sound true. The switches I was talking about earlier include a body switch for the ac. sim. which changes from regular ac. to dreadnought sounds. On the clean channel it has a brightness switch, so you can add more clarity to your sound. The two OD (overdrive) channels have a mid scoop switch, which unbelievably scoops the mids even further. There is an EQ for the two clean channels, and the two OD channels, but with the switches, it means the two OD channels have independent mids. The two OD channels are very different from each other, with OD1 going from blues to that of Extreme on their earlier albums. OD2 with a DigiTech Bad Monkey in front of it sounds like Trivium/metallica etc, but on its own, using a neck humbucker sounds like Steve Vai's 'For The Love Of God'. The clean will stay clean unless you apply gain with the gain knob, but it is obviously distinctly quieter. You can level it all out by adjusting the master volume, but sometimes you have to give in and have a dire straits style clean. The only extraneous noise comes from the fan, which is only noticeable if you stop playing entirely and listen for it, and the hum if you use lots of pedals from the same mains, with excess lights on etc. nothing a noise suppressor can't sort out. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is built like a house, and weighs about just as much. It's not easy to lug around, hence why I wouldn't bother using a backup anyway, but it is not going to die on you. It is valve state, but it uses emulating technology so there is only one or two in their, and the fan is so cool they are not going to blow for years. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from Extreme to Vai and Satch, from Metallica to Eric Clapton. This amp has it all. I have only been playing two years, but I never put my guitar down, and this amp sounds excellent for slow melodic solos, legato, shred, pinched harmonic squeals and the occasional sweep. Putting the gain up in the clean gives an excellent funk, and with all the effects, you can accentuate your sound for any style. I know I have put 10 for every section, but if you were to buy it, you would not be disappointed. If it was stolen I would not only find it and drop on the bugger that stole it, but buy another, cheat the insurance company and buy another cabinet and loads of boutique fx. only kidding. I would buy it again though. // 10

AVT150H Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 18, 2006

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This AVT150H was made in 2002. It is very vesatile in all styles of music. I play classic rock like Hendrix, Zepplin, AC/DC, Skynyrd. I also play blues and it sounds great for stuff like Clapton. It has 4 footswitchable channels - OD1, OD2, acoustic sim., clean. I use this amp with my band and if I want it to, it can completly block out the drums, bass and everything. It is loud. It has one preamp tube, stereo, 16 effects. The effects aren't that good because they're all different types of reverb except for flange and acouple others. They are adjustible on all 4 channels. // 10

Sound: This amp head is hooked up to my 1960A cabinet. I mostly play it with my strat which has 3 noisless single coils and it sounds awesome. The only problem is that it picks up every little sound with your playing on the OD's (mutes, string touching). The clean channel only gets distorted if you adjust it so it does. The distortion on OD2 is like death metal. OD1 is more like Hendrix, AC/DC. Acoustic sim. sounds so awesome, it's like a real acoustic but that channel doesn't get very loud at all. I think it doesnt get loud because it is the only channel on this amp that isnt tube driven. It is about as loud as a 60 watt solidstate combo. All the other channels are loud as crap. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You can definitly depend on this amp its a Marshall. It has never broken down but I've only had it for 1/2 a year. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and this head is a great match. I have been playing for 9 years with 5 hours a day practice session. I own an American Deluxe Ash Strat, a Gibson SG Standard, Epi Les Paul Standard and many others. If this amp was stolen or lost (how could you lose a head), I would probraly save up for a fully tube amp like a TSL100. I love everything about this amp except how quiet the acous. sim. is. My favorite feature is the 4 channels. Before I bought it, I wanted a Marshall so I compared it to a MG100 and it totaly beat it. I recomend this amp to anyone who wants a great sounding, affordable amp. Also, if you do get this head, I reccomend gettin the Marshall 1960 Cabinet because it sounds and looks better then those shitty little AVT cabs. I got a 2003 1960 cab for $420 bucks so thier not that expensive. // 9

AVT150H Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 07, 2008

Features: This amp was made in 2007 as I can tell from the serial number on the back of the head. It has 4 channels, acoustic simulator with a never use it's a poor show but I don't really care, I didn't buy it for that, Clean channel, this rocks you can have clean clean or push the gain up and have a crunch valve style clean. Overdrive 1, this is the channel I always use it has a very Vintage but also modern sound to it, it has a scoop facility to scoop the midrange which I don't really use. Overdrive 2, this is also barely use this is an extreme heavy metal style overdrive. It has 13 onboard effects which have been used by me quite a bit they make for good interesting song writing. on the back of the head is there is a an FX send and return, a headphone jack and two plug for cabs. the footswitich has 6 buttons, 1 for each channel and 2 fx switichs for clean FX and OD FX. This is amp is loud for any gig I can think of and the tone can be set perfectly for anyone. // 10

Sound: I have a Epiphone Les Paul Custom with 3 epi humbuckers. I plug a lot of rock pop/punk power rock and I play guitar in a power trio and it sounds perfect this sort of stuff. The tone is a little tricky to set can be set perfect for anyone and it's very loud, the OD is brilliant it sounds clear and crisp and can be soft OD or roaring OD and everyhting in between. The clean channel does not distort at high volumes as it have a volume and a gain control for the clean channel. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can and have depended it on it. I play my a gig with it yesterday for the first time and the tone was perfect and also it didn't really feedback much. Through the day it was used by a lot of bands as the other guys preferrrd to use mine over the MG series amps and there Fender amps they say it's much better. It was turned on for almost 5 hours straight and it didn't break down or go wrong in any way it was also very moveable the weight balance seems perfect so if you lack muscle buy this amp as it's not a struggle to move. I also dropped the cab and it lived. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is a perfect match for every style of music it's not too heavy is very loud and doesn't buzz, has great tone, doesnt't make wierd sctraty noises, withstand all say abuse for loads of great band I own a Marshall VS230 and an Orange crush and this is my favourite amp I'm glad I bought it and stand by my choice. If it were stolen I would buy it again definatly by I would try others aswell but after the gig I have fallen in love with it. // 10

AVT150H Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 23, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Mine was made in 2000. See other writeups concerning the list of features. I keep the Acoustic Simular (which by default the amp switches to on power up) to zero and use it as a Standbye - I have no need for it and it does not sound very well anyway. This amp is plenty loud and I like a couple of the built-in effects (flanger and reverb). I have a red cabinet with black grill cloth, so I painted the black cloth on the head red to have a reverse effect visually. // 8

Sound: If I am practicing in my home, I run straight into the amp, using only reverb on the OD1 channel - it crunches great and as my Washburn EC-29 has active pickups, if I crank the mid-range OD in the guitar, it screams well enough on the bridge pickup straight in. If I use the neck pickup and no OD, I can get the best blues sound I have ever acheived with a Marshall. If I am playing with my band, I use a Boss GT-6, with a three cord plug in (do a search to find out what I'm talking about) and just use the clean channel, getting the variety of sounds I want with the GT-6. I like this Marshall better than the 200w Marshall Major or the '72 Marshall 100w Super Lead that I have owned. This amp is much more versatile and its lighter. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had it for 4 years and I've never had a problem with it. It has gone through a housing move and I load it into the back of an SUV and take it down the road a few times. I do not have a backup guitar amp anymore. I would just run my GT-6 straight into the board to finish a gig if this amp broke down. // 10

Overall Impression: I been playing rock music for 46 years, been with Marshall for 36 years. I changed out the power tube to a Tesla and swapped out two of the factory Celestions with two old black-backed Celestions in the MG4X12 cab I send it through - these changes are essential to get a sound that rivals the old tube stuff, yet is a lot lighter for the lugging and yet again gives you versitality the old stuff will not. I put the new Celestions I swapped out in the old Marshall Master Lead Combo ('75) that had the old black-backed Celestions and sold it for $200, which almost totally paid for this head. The tone on this head is FAR superior to the tone on the old combo. Anyone who says the new technology can't get the old sound just doesn't know how to do it. These amps are so reasonable that if I ever had to replace it I wouldn't even consider getting anything else. // 10

AVT150H Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 14, 2012

Purchased from: GC

Features: This amp was made in 2009 (the standard black one). It features 4 channels; acoustic, clean, crunch and lead, 3 channels are tube driven, so the amp actually has a 12AX7 tube in the preamp, although the poweramp is SS. Acoustic channel is not tube driven. 3 band EQ per two channels, 2 switchable scoop buttons on the overdrive channels and 2 switchable bright buttons on the clean and acoustic channels master presence and master volume control with fx level for every channel. I play mostly rock, blues, jazz and pop music and this amp is quite good at that kind of music. It features an fx loop, line out and a headphone jack for midnight musicians. I run it through a 4x12 AVT cabinet equipped with Vintage 30 speakers. // 8

Sound: Soo, my main guitar is a ebony finish Les Paul Studio made in 2008 heavily modified and equipped with Alnico 2 pro pickups. I don't use the acoustic channel so often but frankly, it could be better. The clean channel on this amp is quite good. You can get sparkle clean tones with the gain on 12 o' clock or you can crank the gain for some strat blues, quite good channel. Next up, we have the Overdrive One channel. This is a standard crunch channel for some nice Zeppelin or AC/DC solo and rhythm tones, with gain and volume at 12 o'clock. Last channel on the amp is a Overdrive Two channel. Now, this channel is the hi-gain channel. You can get a good Metallica sound by scooping the mids and/or you can get a solid lead tone. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for 3 years and I didn't have any problems with it. I've changed the tube every once in a while but that's just a part of a tube or hybrid amp maintenance. I've also played on a fairly large venues and it cuts through the mix. And it's quite loud too. // 6

Overall Impression: If this amp was stolen I would get definitely something else. Something a bit more responsive, maybe an all tube amp or soo. But this amp suites most of my needs although it's not all tube. I've sold it recently and bought myself a tube amp, the Egnater Tourmaster 4212. But for 450$ it's a good bang for a buck if you want a versatile affordable amp. // 6

AVT150H Reviewed by: SCHECTERSOWN, on july 25, 2007

Purchased from: gak.co.uk

Features: I think this amp was made sometime around 2002, but don't quote me on that, I'm not sure. It's a hefty bugger, with 4 channels that you can Switch between via the footswitch (acoustic sim., clean, OD1, OD2), and because of this, it's a very versatile amp. I normally play metal, punk, hardcore and all that sort of stuff, but when I wanna get m'funk on, this amp copes well with that too. It's a valvestate, meaning that the preamp section is powered by one KT66, and the actual amp section is solidstate. // 9

Sound: I use a Schecter C-1 Elite with the standard Duncan Designed HB pickups. As I previously said, it can cope with the variety of styles that I play, however, to me, it sounds only slightly warmer than a solidstate. The good thing about having a valavestate amp, is that yoiu get some of the warmth you'd expect from valves, and when you stop playing, the amp stops making noise.The only noise audible is that of the fan, and a bit of hum of you use loads of effects. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I suppose I could depend on it, I've played it at very high volumes for extended periods of time, and it's fine. I've had it for a little under a year, and had no problems.I'd gig it without a backup(Mainly cos I can't afford a backup, but also cos it's reliable). // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of the amp is that, for my style of playing and my budget, this amp's great.It's the best amp I've owned, although not the best amp ouut there. If it were a better guitarist with more money, I'd suggest you go buy a fully tube head like a DSl100 or a rectifier or something, but like I say, I can't afford ahit like that. If it were stolen I wouldn't buy another the same, but I'd say that about any of my gear, I'm always looking for an excuse to buy better stuff. // 8

AVT150H Reviewed by: Josh2k69, on november 23, 2007

Purchased from: Some dude

Features: My AVT150H was made in 2005 and is pretty versatile for the price, really. I play mostly punk-rock, metal and alternative, but my style changes like the weather. As most of you know, this amp has 4 channels. Acoustic, clean, overdrive 1 and overdrive 2. The two overdrives are basically the same, except OD2 is more deep and more metal sounding with deeper mids. It's 8ohms and can definitely deal some volume. It's a valvestate so it's not gonna be as intense as a full tube amp but the tube preamp does help with volume and tone, you can notice a big difference from a regular solid state amp. This is also has a bunch of effects like gated reverb, flange, chorus. These are really good for someone who isn't that much into effects and pedals and such and would like to try some out. They aren't the greatest but you get what you pay for right? But they are half decent. I personally like the gated reverb. I currently have it hooked up to my 1960A cab and it sounds awesome. I love playing it whenever I can. It has enough power for any gig you may be doing, it's also great since you will more flexibility for volume more than a tube amp where you turn it past like 2 and it kills your ears. // 9

Sound: My guitar that I am currently using is my Yamaha RGX121Z. I am just using the stock pickups, so with a pair of SD's this amp would sound even better. For the most part, the acoustic sim probably wont be what you are buying this amp for and if it is PLEASE look elsewhere, you will be disappointed. Not to mention it's soo damn quiet. It isn't horrible but it is seriously lacking. The clean channel is alright could be better but it's still good. Still great for using pedals on of course which I do with my Boss SD-1 and it's fine. The overdrive channels however, are actually really good. Both will be loved by you, since if you want metal you have metal on OD2 if you want balls to the wall rock OD1 will do it for you and if you need to scoop the mids hit the button. Great sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well I really haven't had much problems, lets see, the fan is kinda loud but this thing is like a tank. I've only giged with it once but I would gig w/o a backup. It's pretty heavy too, so don't worry about anyone running away too fast with it. You would be able to catch up and beat him over the head with this lead weight. Great Marshall quality. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, it's really not a bad amp for the price. I highly recommend it to someone trying to get into the music scene/rock scene as it will do w/e you need it to. If it was stolen/lost I would upgrade to something a bit higher in quality like the DSL50 just because I'm outgrowing this one but it's still an amazing amp for the price. I have to say I love the OD channels since that what I use pretty much 95% of the time. If there was one thing I could wish for would be that this amp's acoustic sim would sound more authentic and louder it's too damn quiet. // 8

AVT150H Reviewed by: benjothebanjo, on september 17, 2009

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I'm not too sure of the year, probably 2002-2005. Its a valvestate amp with 1 pre amp valve. 4 channels which are Acoustic sim, clean, overdrive 1 and overdrive 2. A load of DFX. The amp says that its made in England. First of all, I can't understand why people have slated this amp so much. I think its due to that this amp is valve state and not all tube and that its at the lower end of the Marshall range, but the bottom line is that this amp is good value for money. However i don't use the Acoustic sim as I have no need to and it doesn't sound great like all Acoustic simulators. The digital effects are also very poor. I wouldn use them at all but luckily I have lots of pedals to replace them. The only thing I really don't like about the amp is that the reverb effects are really artificial and is really hard to get a good reverb out of it. It also has an effects loop. // 7

Sound: The clean channel does sound really nice, a little too much low end but thats what eq is for. I do admit there is alot of unwanted humm and buzz from the overdrive channels if you have the gain all the way up but if you turn the gain down to 12 o'clock it gets rid of the buzz but you still get a nice distortion. The Acoustic sim isnt very good and like i said before the dfx arnt very good at all and are un useable. However you can get some really nice pre amp type distortions and high gain distortions out of the overdrive channels without getting unwanted buzz and hum. You can also get a bit of pre amp distortion out of the clean channel which is pretty cool. Overall I think this is a great sounding amp and you should definatly consider one if you don't have a big budget. I also use a mg series head but I upgraded the speakers to celestian Vintage 30s. So if you have or are going to buy this amp, I recommend you buying a fairly good cab to go with it. Don't buy the Marshall MG412 cab or any other cheap cab. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had this amp for a few weeks and have had no problems with it so far. It was second hand as well but the guy Who had it before me recently replaced the pre amp tube. I haven't had the amp long so I can't really comment on reliability but it seems a solid and ridged and like I said I have had no problems so far. // 10

Overall Impression: I pretty much play anything, From jazz fusion to folk and this amp is quite adequate for most styles. I have been playing for a long time now and play a variety of guitars which are Fender strats and teles ect and these type of guitars sound great with this amp. Even Squier guitars sound great with this amp. The best thing I like about this amp is the clean channel. You obviously can't compare to the Marshall valve amps but this is far better than the Marhsall MG series. It has lots more feature and a lot more potential. If this amp were stolen I would probly buy another one unless I ahd a bigger budget, in that case I would buy an Orange amp or something. I have been completly honest in this review and am not biased. Don't be put off by the bad reviews, this is a great amp and is well worth considering. You can get these amps second hand now for about 150. Thats great value for money. // 7

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ DSL40C 9 Guitar Amplifiers 08/01/2014