AVT275 Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 04/06/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: AVT275
The Marshall AVT275 Combo Amp boasts the same 4 channels and 2 effects sections as the 150. Delivers 75W per side to 2 - 12" speakers, taking full advantage of the 2 effects sections to create a greater richness and depth of sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Features: 8.8
 8.6
 8.9
 8.3
reviews (4) pictures (2) 16 comments vote for this gear:
AVT275 Reviewed by: slash4lyf, on october 06, 2007

Purchased from: from a friend

Features: This amp has many features. It has its own built in effects which make the amp sound perfect. The AVT275 can satisfy any player whter it being metal and hard rock to blues and country. It has headphone jack, effects loop, 2 OD channels, 1 clean & 1 acoustic simulator channel. I can't think of any features that it doesnt't have that I wish it did have. Maybe a recording feature, but besides that it's got almost everything ou can want in an amp. I have used this in a performance once before and it gave easily enough power, but I mostly use it in my room and I have to put it low for that. // 10

Sound: I play almost all styles of music using this amp and it is easily suitable for all. I play anything from Ozzy Osbourne and Guns N' Roses to the likes of Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan. It can be a very noisy amp, I have played this almost loud enough to brake glass and the master volume was on about 5. I'm dreading turning it up past that in an enclosed room. This amp can make all sots of sounds, it has a very wide variety. You can make the distortion almost as brutal as almost as brutal as you want or very minimal. It has 2 OD channels with make distortion very flexible. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a very reliable amp. I would definately take it to a gig without a backup. This amp has never broke down on me at all. The only thing that's ever gone wrong is not havin channels set right which was my fault. The reliablity of this amp is very hgih from what I have so far encountered from it and I would recomend using it at a gig to anyone. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this amp, I wouldn't trade it in, unless I was to recieve a stack. I been playing 2 years and alongside my amp I have a Vox Wah, Bad Monkey Tube Oberdrive, DS-1 Distortion, Marshal Regenorator, RP50 and another wah wah. I would definately buy it again if it got stolen. I love everything about it and according to the user manual there are still some features I have not yet tried out which I'm looking foward to haha. My favourite feature is probaly the the effects it comes with and the adjustablity of them, e.g. with delay you can adjust the delay time. Awesome. The only thing it lacks is a recording channel which I can then play over. Overall it's perfect. // 10

AVT275 Reviewed by: BigAl1982, on january 12, 2008

Features: This amp has many features, 4 channels, overdrive 1, overdrive, 2, acoustic simulator and a clean channel, also has a load of FX built into it! Each channel has its own bass, mid and treble settings, footswitch to control all four channels and fx on or off. // 8

Sound: Overdrive 1, pretty standard sort of distortion sound, it's ok but I couldn't really get a nice warm distorted sound out of it, it's got a little bit of fizz messey sound to it, I had to use a couple of times after forgetting a pedal at a gig and it did the Job, but I prefer to use an Ibanez tube screamer which works really well through the clean channel! Overdrive 2, basically a noisier version of channel 1, both overdrive channels come with a scoop button on the amp, I don't particular like the scoop, poor quality, both channels seem quite as well and lack a bit of punch! Invest in pedals as the variety of sounds to get out of the channels is limited. Acoustic simulator, does it make your guitar sound like an acoustic, No! Not really used this much but I did put an acoustic through it and got some cool sounds, but never use it live! Clean - This is by far the best sounding channel on the amp, it's loudest channel and even without the effects on gives your guitar a really nice tone, I use a Epiphone Les Paul Custom and I use all my pedals through this channel, mainly my Jim Dunlop Wah and Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer, I have various other distortion pedals and other effects and this channel brings the best out of them! Some of my friends have various amps, Line 6, Berringer, Peavey, and this clean channel sounds far better than them! FX, for a start there are too many that sound similar, you can adjust the fx volume and settings which is a nice touch for some the effects like delay increasing or decreasing the rate etc all the effects sound good (although the flange is rubbish) but you are unable to use two sounds together or Switch between sounds using the foot controller, quite often I would like some reverb and delay together but cant, or use some reverb for a verse than change to delay for a solo but you have to turn the knob on the amp, difficult to do whilst busting out a solo! Marshall should have just made a slightly bigger foot controller allowing you to switch between FX and got rid of the 8 similar reverb/echo sounds, keeping the basic reverb, chorus (which is really good) and delay. This amp can go very loud, I have played fairly big halls with it and not had to mic it up! Although not sure the distortion channels would have been able to do the same job as the clean! Only time I have really struggled with the sound is when I mic up the amp to record, I have struggled to find a way to get the best recording out of it, I have recorded other amps and had good results but with this I struggle! I would give the clean sound a 9 and fx but the other channels let the amp down! // 6

Reliability & Durability: This thing seems to get heavier every time I pick it up! A very solid amp (my mate backed his car into it and the car came of worse) I have had a few problems with the input and had to replace parts a few times, the screws and nuts seem to come loose very easily, also the knobs come loose and I have lost a few of these, I contacted Marshall about replacements I few times but apparently according to the nice lady on the phone all the tech guys are always on lunch! So I'm missing my bass knob for the clean channel and 2 on the FX panel. It does make a bit of a racket when you first turn it on and it does seem to take a while to stop, also the volume seems to rise after the amp has been on a while, I usually turn it on for a while 5 or 10mins before playing at a gig. The Kettle lead you get for this is ridiculously short! About a meter at most! Get yourself an extension or make sure you near a power socket! The sound quality is still the same as when I bought it (over 2 years now). // 8

Overall Impression: The clean channel is the best thing about it! Makes everything going into it sound great! Although I wouldn't buy it again if it broke or got stolen, not able to use more than one effect really bugs me, so I am having to buy more pedals to compensate for this, all I really need now is an amp with a clean channel! Try the amp out before you buy it, if ya like the distortion channels (you will definitely like the clean) and you are not to worried about mixing the effects then this is a pretty good amp! // 7

AVT275 Reviewed by: Hnayr, on november 14, 2008

Purchased from: a friend

Features: This Amp is filled with many features. It is a hybrid amp(half tube half solid state) so it still has some tube sounds. It features four channels, one acoustic simulator which is O.K. but will not fool anyone into thinking you are playing an actual acoustic. the second is a good warm clean channel, I find it very smooth, and clean to be honest. The clean and acoustic channels both feature small buttons on the amp front that modify your tone. the acoustic has a button labeled "body" which gives you a deeper sound to the simulator, like a jumbo acoustic. The Clean has a "bright" button which cleans it up and gets all the muddy tones out. The Overdrives are great. period. I used to have a line6 and the settings on it were... horribad. This is the crunch I had been waiting for. It features a rhythm channel and a lead channel. The lead channel has a Gain and a Volume Knob which is all you really need, the same for the rhythm. The Overdrives have buttons for a mid scoop which is awesome for nu-metal. The amp has a 3 band eq built in for both OD and clean which is nice. The amp also has built in effects, many reverb and delay models. It's a 2x12 with celestions. It is 150w. // 9

Sound: This is a Marshall. It has the Crunch and tone which is all perfect for classic rock, blues, and rock, but this will not be suitable for something like Parkway Drive or All That Remains. With a metal stompbox, however, it sounds just perfect. This thing is LOUD, I have never gotten mine up past 5 and that's where I can sound good with the drums, so it's all you really need. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very Reliable for me so far, but I don't turn it up so I am not sure if your were a weekend gigger or something of that nature. I am just a home musician that jams with friends every so often so mine doesn't get any abuse. I have had it 2 years and changes the tubes once, which brightened it up considerably. I have gigged once or twice with it so I guess it's quite reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: Classic Rock, Alternative, Blues, and anything of that nature this thing sings. I have been playing 2 years and this baby is all I need. If it broke, I would get it fixed, if stolen I would buy another. I love the sounds and the effects it produces, just a great Marshall. // 10

AVT275 Reviewed by: deadlydictator, on april 06, 2012

Features: Got this amp as a replacement for my broken down MG250DFX a few weeks ago. Its got 4 channels, od1, od2, clean, and an acoustic simulator. Mine came with 2 footswitches (one was dented and one was extra stock someone ordered at GC). The switches work good but I need a new cable for it as some lights don't come on. The cable had a pretty nasty rip that I had to patch, no big deal. It was a used amp, and you can only really tell by the bent od1 gain pot. Again, no big deal, it still functions. Its got 2 Celestions 75 watt a piece stereo. Its got a tube in the preamp and the power section is solid state. don't know what tube its got in it. // 8

Sound: This thing is f--king metal. It bleeds metal. You guessed it, I play metal. Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Mastodon, Slayer, and the likes. This thing packs a Mega punch once you get the tone dialed in. Its got a presence knob, and it is cranked all the way at all times on mine. The acoustic sim sounds great with the right guitar. I usually run a 90s LTD explorer (lawsuit one), an Epi Faded Firebird Studio, a 76 Les Paul Copy, or a Dean Schenker through it. Cleans sound best on the firebird, and distortion sounds best on the LTD (duncan screamin demon and jazz). The OD1 and OD2 channels are essentially the same. I have OD1 as my "slayer" channel and OD2 as my "f--king metal" channel. The difference is on OD2 I have the scoop button pressed. My cleans have a little fuzz to them and the acoustic channel is amazing. Only complaint is without the presence knob cranked, its really bassy. there's so much bottom end. Almost too much at times. Rating it a 9 just because of the abundance of bass, even when the treb is maxed and the bass is at 0. Again, the presence knob saves the tone tenfold. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a beast. It's heavy as sh-t. I've had heavy amps, but this one is up there in weight. I'm a big dude and sometimes I'll have to put it down and take a break hauling it. I've never dropped it, but its fallen over in car rides before, and it still works. I'd gig it without a backup, pretty much because I don't have a backup. The tube still works, the OD channels take like 15 seconds to warm up but its all good. 8 because it's heavy as sh-t. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play metal. Its great for it. The cleans are immensely warm also. I've been playing for something like 6 years now and have had a couple different amps, and lots of guitars. Like 20 by my count. This amp replaced my old mg when it konked out (I knew it would, damn MGs...) in the store I tried a spider 3 head, a couple Voxes, and a few oranges for shits and grins (I can't afford no tiny terrors.) I tried out some new smaller Marshall MGs, but even owning one before I still say no to one. I had the biggest combo they make and its still like, blehh. This one cought my eye though. Or should I say, my ears. I played a few Schecters through it and it was ok, but then I plugged in some gibbys (you know you would too) and it screamed. Then I grabbed an axe similar to mine at home, an Epi Faded SG. I loved the amp and took it home. If someone stole it I'd smash a guitar on their face, fix it, and play a solo on their rotting corpse with my epic AVT250. (((R.I.P. Jim Marshall))) // 10

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ DSL40C 9 Guitar Amplifiers 08/01/2014