AVT50H Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 03/25/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: AVT50H
The AVT50H is the head version of the AVT50 combo and is armed with the exact same features.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Features: 8.8
 8.6
 9.4
 7.7
reviews (8) 31 comments vote for this gear:
AVT50H Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 30, 2004

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: From what I'm aware the amp was made over the last year or two so probaly no older than 2002. I'm using the amp for grunge/metal/funk/rock. Features wise, two channles that are swicthable, an effects loop on the back, I don't use effects so thats never gona get used, and also a CD input and headphone out, I'm not sure why they botherd to put this on the amp but it dosent do any harm. I just whish they had hidden them round the back rather than celabrating them and putting them on the front. I use the amp in the rehersal room, at gigs and in the studio. For a 50W head, this thing really dose kick it out. As far as I am aware this amp is half valve and half solid state. A valve pre-amp and a solid state main amp. // 8

Sound: I'm using this amp with a number of guitars, my main guitar and the guitar that sounds the best through the amp is my Eppiphone Les Paul fitted with Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a bog standerd Epiphone in the neck, also it's tuned to drop-C, I have never heard so much crunch. I also play a Ibanez RG, a Ibanez RG (7-string) and a humbucker loaded Strat. They all sound great through this amp. I read in a review before getting the amp that you can get pretty much any Marshall tone out of this amp, after using 900 hi-gain's and TSL's (not mine saddly). I'd agree and I preffer this considerbly cheeper amp to both. The distortion is f--king great. As for the Clean, who cares? I kid, the clean, its no Fender lets be fair but it dose the job. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well I have had it for a while, I've never had a problem. I only brought this cause my last amp (real old h+h 100w head) blew up, but that was from the 70's so meh. I would never consider taking a spare amp to a gig when I have this bad boy. // 10

Overall Impression: Everything from above that I have said. Also, it's great. // 10

AVT50H Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 11, 2003

Purchased from: Feedback Rotterdam (NL)

Features: This amp is made in 2000, i bought it just a month ago. I use it with an Marshall MG412A cab. The amp is cool for a lot of styles. I play most the style of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Reggae, ska, metal and funk are also my style. It has two channels, footswitchable. It has an effect loop, an headphone jack and emulated DI-out. I'd wish it had two OD channels instead of one, so I could switch between clean, overdrive and fat distortion. Now I have to use an extra effect for overdrive on the clean channel. I use this amp at home and at gigs, for both it's enough. On gigs I use the DI out, it works! // 8

Sound: I use an PRS Santana SE I, with two humbuckers, and an cheap Strat-copy. It feels like the thing is made for my style, the funky things between the rock and metal riffs. It is a little noisy in distortion, but that's ok. The amp can make a lot of different sounds, it's just turning the knobs heah :) The clean channel can be distorted if you turn the gain on. The distortion is not made for dark black heavy nu-metal, but heah, that's not my style :) // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think I can depend on it, I would use it without a backup. The amp has never broken down, but heah: only a month heah! // 10

Overall Impression: I play for three years now, and I use it with a PRS Santana SE I and a Korg AX100G. (for the little things like flanger). I love the warm sound of clean, that's can be turned to funky clean. I hate it that I can't switch between two overdrive channels. I compared it two a Marshall MG100HDFX and a Hughes And Kettner Vortex stack, both new, but this beast what definitely the best choice for the price! // 8

AVT50H Reviewed by: broken circle, on november 29, 2005

Purchased from: GAK.co.uk

Features: The amp was made in the last 2 years or so, from what I can gather. That aside, I'm using the amp for metal/post-hardcore styles of music. Features wise, it has two channels (clean & dirty) that can be switched between, a CD input, headphones out. On the back panel is has an effects loop and an emulated DI out. The amp is half valve, half solid state (valve pre-amp, solid state amp). I use this amp for everything, and I have it running though an Ashdown Fallen Angel 4x2 slanted cab. I use it for bedroom practice, band practice, gigging and recording, and it suits all these conditions well. The tone is tight at low volumes, and as your start to crank the volume, the tone only gets tighter. It's very loud. Sounds louder than your average 50W head. // 8

Sound: I mainly use this amp with one guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul Studio with stock pickups, though I do sometimes use an American made Fender Strat through it too. The amp's dirty tone is very good. It has lots of low end and high end. The actual gain is pretty tight as earlier mentioned and there's certainly enough for me, though if you were playing really hardcore music or something, it wouldn't be that great. Go with a Peavey 5150 or something. For the price of this amp though, it's more than worth it. The clean is nothing wonderful, but is still pretty good and it suits me. Furthermore, the clean channel has its on individual gain control, meaning you can get a bluesy tone from the clean channel. However, the amp pretty much suits me overall. Very good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had the amp for a few months now and have gigged with it three times and it's fine, run perfectly. I even dropped it the moment it got delivered to my house. I could gig with this without a backup and as things go, I'm having to as I'm too poor to afford another amp. My other amp is only a Marshall MG30DFX, which isn't big enough to gig with and is completely unreliable, which MG's are famed for anyway. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm really impressed with this head. I've waited a while before I actually did a review just so I can get a feel of the amp and I have to say it was definetly worth the money. For my style of music it's pretty good, to be honest, it's no Dual Rectifier, but it's certainly a good head. If it were lost or stolen I would love to get another one seeing as it's cheap, though I'd love to have enough to get a Mesa or a higher end Marshall head. The onle thing I wish it did have though is a boost for the distorted channel. The amp is amazing overall. // 10

AVT50H Reviewed by: bubba_blink, on august 05, 2004

Features: I think this is a f--ing killer monster amp! I actually have the combo, but this is a bas ass amp! I have no idea when this was made, I think in 2000-2001, but I dont know. I play like heavy s--t. Like ane where from Iron Madden to Rammstein, and this amp can do it all. Full out dirty and clean. This monster has 2 channels, clean and dirty. Is comes w/ a footswitch. It has a CD jack so you can plug in you CD player, and it has a head phone jack. The back has other stuf but I havent played with the back yet. The only thing I wish this had is a 15" not a 12". And that it would have more channels. But my opinion doesn't count much, does it? I mostely use this in my house. But when me and my friens jam I use it. And this has enough power for what you need, just get it (but if your like me, it could always need more power.) // 10

Sound: I am useing a Schetcer Dimond Series Black Hawk. I'm putting in EMG 10 and 14. My music style is like I said heavy stuff. And it suites it perfect. I mostley use it in my room. It is good sounding but I jus moved into an apartment and I use head phones now. But it's not that noisy. This amp can make any sound you throw at it. The clean is good at high and low volume. Not really distorted unless its gain is on all the way. I play with the clean settings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can fully depend on it, the only back up would be another, it is by far the most relyable that I have used. the only thing that broke, is that I blew out a 12" speaker. I don't know about tubes, but I put in a jensens 60's gold speaker. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostley metal stuff and this and that go hand n' hand. I have been playing around 2-3 years, but still as good as many. I also have a Ibz 10 amp that I use to travel with, I have a Boss Dis Pedal, Danelectro Talk pedal, Morely & Crybaby wah's, my guitr that I mentioned, and a GR3 Ibanez. I'm getting a tuner rack and a hush board along with a effects board. If it were stolen I would buy another. Probably the stack though. I love every thing about it. I hate the feed back so get a hush pedal! I like the reverb on it. I compared it to Crate, other Marshalls, Fender, Roland, and many others. But I like it the way it is. // 10

AVT50H Reviewed by: DiveInMe, on july 31, 2006

Purchased from: Private

Features: This amp is around 3 years old making it about a 2003 build. It is perfect for the style of music I play. A mix of punk, rock, alt, and heavy tones are easy to pull out of the two channel head with reverb. It runs a 12AX7 valve driven pre-amp followed by a solid state power stage. It has clean and overdrive switchable by an optional footswitch. It also has a CD input, headphone output, FX loop, emulated DI out and two loudspeaker outputs (I run one MG412A slant quad). It is a big step up from my previous amp so its features are quite enough for me. This is my "home" amp. I like to shake walls. // 9

Sound: I use a Strat (S/S/S) and a Tele (S/S) but I have access to a range of guitars which all sound different through this amp. My Strat is the mainstay for playing rock and it sounds great through the AVT. It is acceptably quiet set to Clean, but can hum a little. On Overdrive there is a noticable "buzz", but that reflects my settings. High gain, driven hard. It is versatile across both channels. The clean can be broken up at higher volumes which can be good and bad. The Overdrive rips at any volume, but is best cranked up a few notches. I can tweak the OD endlessly for a variety of tones. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As the second owner, I didn't have much info on its history. About 3 months after I bought it, the volume dropped to nothing and the buzz was deafening. After dropping in a new Electro-Harmonix 12AX7, replacing the original Marshall valve, it really ramped it up. Since then, nothing but smooth sailing. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is versatile enough for me. I had a 35watt Fender as my first "home" amp for the last 15 years. This is much more fun to plug into. I still use them both though. I would probably update to a all valve amp if this was lost/stolen. Probably a Hiwatt or similar. I do love this amp. It's loud, stong and can be driven hard (I have a several OD and distortion pedals.) My Big-Muff sounds particularly good through the AVT. I tried many amps over the years, but this was a great deal for a powerful amp. So I couldn't pass up the chance to own a half-stack. Would you? // 9

AVT50H Reviewed by: hurleydude77, on october 29, 2007

Purchased from: ebay

Features: The model I have is the valvestate 2000 series, so not the new AVT50X, but as far as I know they're pretty much the same thing aside from visual differences. I'm pretty sure this model of amp was made in 2002. As far as versatility goes, there aren't too many sounds that you can pull out of this thing, but if you're looking for a powerful, crisp modern rock distortion that sounds like what the professionals use in renowned studios, this is definitely the amp for you. I play pop-punk/alternative rock music, along the lines of bands like Brand New and the Early November and the sound is absolutely perfect, not even a hair off of what I was aiming for when I bought it. As a matter of fact I listed those two bands because I'm almost positive this is the model of amp they used to record the rhythm guitar for most of their music. It's only got two channels but between the comprehensive gain control and the deeply effective EQ that's about all you need unless you're looking to experiment. It also has a reverb knob where you can control the depth of the reverb, which is pretty sweet. I used to use one of Marshall's solid state MG amplifiers, and I kind of miss the delay effect that my MG30DFX had on it, but the sound of the AVT makes the MG sound like nails on a chalkboard so it doesn't even matter. Paired with the AVT412A cabinet, it's very loud, absolutely enough volume for mid-sized venues. The one preamp tube in this amp makes a much bigger difference in the sound than you would think, and the transistor output does a very good job of modeling that of an all tube amp in this case. // 9

Sound: I'm playing through this amp with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard guitar, equipped with the alnico classic humbuckers it comes with, and I think it's safe to say this is one of the best rhythm guitar setups you can get, even for professional bands. The fact you can get this duo for under 1500 dollars new makes it even better. As far as EQ goes, it's the opposite of my old MG combo, I used to scoop the mids out to get the best tone, but the AVT actually sounds best when you turn the mid all the way up. That middle EQ really gives it a bite and a sharpness, and with the gain just under halfway, I mean there's no other way to describe the rhythm guitar sound besides perfect. With these settings I got it to have some real Drive behind it. When you strum a chord, first you hear a really defined, crisp impact, followed by a really jagged resonance, and it just really cuts through the air like you would hear on a professional band's album. Listen to the rhythm guitar on "shower scene" by Brand New and you'll know exactly what I mean. As far as the clean sound, you can get some of the nicest tone for open chords and other non-power chords with the gain turned up, just a tad bit of that sharp bite but not so much that the several notes squish together. The added gain on clean can also provide for a nice thin lead sound that's suitable for some songs, it's almost like a low-gain overdrive. You have more gain with this amp than you would ever need, even if you play metal. I'd rate the sound a 15 out of 10 if I could. When you have an amp that sounds this good for such a great price you have no reason at all to get an all tube amp. The AVT series is so good at emulating the all tube sound that it's lower price makes it the better option. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I bought it used and the tube still plays like new, no problems whatsoever. The seller didn't report any problems either. I'd feel safe taking it on tour clumped with loads of other gear on a shifty trailer. The transistor output makes it more reliable than all tube amps. // 10

Overall Impression: Again, there are very few better amps for modern music, especially pop-punk/alternative rock. I've been playing and recording guitar for about 4 years, and I did a lot of shopping and research, and wasn't disappointed in the least with this amp's sound. I'd buy this amp again and again if it kept getting stolen, and I don't ever see needing an upgrade. Incredible amp. // 10

AVT50H Reviewed by: handbanana, on july 09, 2010

Features: My AVT50 Hybrid combo is 50 watts with 1 12" Marshall speaker. The preamp is driven by 1 12ax7(which I changed to a Mesa 12ax7), and a solid state power section. 2 Channels. Clean channel knobs go as follow:Gain, Volume, Bass Treble. And the Overdrive channel goes as follows:Gain, Volume, Bass, Mids, Treble. One Master reverb switch. One cd input, and one headphone output. One master input.Has inputs in the back for footswitch, effects loop, and extension cab. I gave the features an 8 cause it does pretty much everything I need it to do. The reverb could be a bit better. // 8

Sound: First off you must take into account that this amp is mostly solid state except for one 12ax7. With that said, this amp performs tone wise better than just about any solid state amp I have ever played. The hybrid(even with just one tube) really makes a whole lot of difference in my opinion. First off the Clean channel is actually pretty decent. Very sparkly, and has a tight Marshall bluesy crunch when the gain is cranked. The overdrive channel is wear it shines though. Nice crunchy distortion even when turned up to 8 or 9. Breaks up pretty cleanly. But still a bit thin if you ask me. Once I threw my Tubescremer in front of it and put in a new 12ax7 this thing had a deep growling tone I never though I could get from solid state. Sounds almost JCM esque. I gave this an 8 because it's definitely a lot better than any other solid state amp on the market, and much better than the old valvestate line. Obviously it's not going to sound like a JCM 800 2203, but honestly with a good overdrive and some tweaking I'd say it sounds better than any comparable Peavey valveking or vypyr. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is mostly just used at home. Only issue I have is that the fan makes some noise when it first powers up, but fades once the tube warms up. I've heard this is a common issue. It has no affect on the amp when I play though, last only about 20 seconds. Other than that I have had no problems whatsoever. This thing is a tank! Also replacing the tube was pretty easy, accesing the insides of the amp is easy. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said before, this is pretty fantastic considering it's solid state. I guarentee this amp will sound better than any Peavey Vypyr or Windsor. Probably better than a valveking with a tubescreamer. A tube change and speaker change will do a lot for it as well. Overall this is the perfect home practice amp. Obviously it's not going to sound like a Marshall all tube, but for what it is it's a good amp. // 8

AVT50H Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 25, 2011

Features: I just bought my AVT50H from Guitar Center's Used Inventory site, for a great price. Have really been wanting a Marshall, but didn't want to go with some junk like the MG100HDFX, but at the same time couldn't afford (and didn't have the patience to save up for) a Plexi or JCM800. Let me just say this thing is like gold to my ears. I've only been playing a couple years, but I think this thing easily compares with Marshall's far more expensive line up. Has the basic EQ functions for each of the 2 channels (clean, and overdrive) and a quite nice sounding spring reverb. Also has a CD-in and Headphones jack with easy access right on the front. Has 2 loudspeaker outputs for a full or half stack, emulated DI, and an effects loop send and return on the back. Perfect. // 10

Sound: I play with an Epi LP Standard, and a Fender Standard Strat HSS. Mostly playing classic rock and blues. For me the tone of this thing has done more than blown me away. There isn't a single aspect of this amp where I'm left wanting more. Real nice cleans, and the addition of a separate gain knob on the clean channel can grant you some real smooth bluesy crunch. The overdrive channel sounds good and can get you some nice light crunch or a real beefy slam. Some people have mentioned they don't think it could handle metal well, but I think it sounds pretty great with a heavy crunch. Maybe death metal players would be left wanting a little more, but that's not what I play so I'm not worried about it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't move it around much but its heavy, and seems very solidly built. I can trust that if I was a gigging musician that I could drag this thing anywhere, even without a case, without having a backup. It's got nice rubber feet on the bottom, and corner protectors. This was a used amp, and being that I think this model is from around 2003, for it to still look pristine in 2011 I think is an excellent message that this thing can handle some abuse. // 10

Overall Impression: I realize I sound like a Marshall salesman, but I have to say again, there's nothing about this amp that leaves me wanting more. It sounds incredible, and if you watch closely you can get it at a steal. Easily compares with Marshall's substantially more expensive amps, and just downright looks amazing. I would be happy to pay even double what I got this amp for. Fantastic amp. // 10

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Valvestate VS30R 6.1 Guitar Amplifiers 04/21/2014