AVT50X Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 04/22/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: AVT50X
Marshall does it again! The AVT50X hybrid valve/solid state 50 watt combo amp featuring 1x12" extended bass response Celestion speaker, dual channels, reverb and more! The closed back creates volume out front that you will not believe!
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 Features: 8.8
 8.2
 8.9
 7.5
reviews (9) 30 comments vote for this gear:
AVT50X Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 13, 2006

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: I'm not sure where or when it was made, I presume in 2000, as its 'Valvestate 2000', but not sure. It has clean and overdrive channels, each changeable by a footswitch which is included. It has a CD input, reverb effect, headphone jack, speaker emulated DI for recording or live use and a series effects loop. It a valvestate amp. I use this mainly for bedroom practice, but its definately loud enough to gig as it has a 50 watts of power and a 12 inch speaker. I bought this amp because I was sick of my Line 6 Spider II 30 watt, it was so dry and welll digital and I'm so glad I did this is probably the most versatile amp I've played. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Fender Telecaster, Yamaha CPX55 (electro-acoustic) and a Ibanez GAX30. The amp does everthing brilliantly. I was going to by a Fender amp for the clean sound they gave out and then just buy a good distortion/overdrive pedal to make up for the fenders own distortion and I didnt want a Marshall for the reason there not usually good at clean and the distortion is usually harsh and brutal. I compared it to the Marshall 100DFX, Fender FM212 (I think)and this one blew them out of the water. The tonal versatillity is unreal the clean is brilliant, not as good as the Fenders but it's close. The distortion can go from Trivium to Mcfly, it really is brilliant. I love it anyways. I change the setting a lot just to keep testing the versatillity, it sounds great at any volume. There's some hum from the single coils in my telecaster but non from any of the others. I can play pop-thrash metal on this thing, the sounds is one of the best I've heard. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think I could depend on this with out a doubt. However, when I pick it up (it weighs a tonne bear in mind) it makes a strange noise and I thinks its coming from the handle, I'm really not sure what it is, but I dont lift it up much anyways and when I have its not been a problem. Nothing's went wrong yet, only had it a couple of weeks but it's fine and undamaged. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all type of genres; mainly bands like The Kooks, Blink 182, Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, Bloc Party, Editors and Angels And Airwaves, it fits everysinge one of them perfectly. I'm planning on changing my Korg Toneworks and putting single pedals in, such as delay, chorus, just to expand the versatillity of this thing. I would definately by this again if it got lost. I dont think it would get stolen as they would need 6 people to lift the thing! I recommend the AVT series to anyone wanting versatillity and the tube sound, I've been playing for three years and I can see myself using this for a long time. I also did a review for the Line 6 Spider II 30 watt, please ignore everything I said, the amp is based on other amps but it doesn't compare to the real thing! Buy this one! // 10

AVT50X Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2006

Purchased from: Bandland

Features: 2 channel combo with valve preamp and solid-state power amp. Includes extended bass response Celestion speaker, Accutronics reverb, serial effects loop, footswitch, speaker emulated direct out, headphone jack, and CD input. I use this amp for small pub gigs and have used it some clubs and also for home practice. It seems like it has handled them all very well, I didnt need to mic it up for the larger gigs. // 10

Sound: I'm using this with a Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Fender Telecaster, PRS Tremonti and A Taylor Big Baby. It sounds great, I mostly play Hard rock and metal, some blues. The distortion is fantastic, the clean isn't as good as a Vox or a Fender, but its fine. It makes a slight buzz when not being played through the Telecaster but otherwise there is notmuch sound at all. The clean channel stays clean at all levels of volume. The distortion is what I mainly use, it can be brutal, but it can also be soft depending on how you use the settings, Like I said I play hard rock and metal so the gain is usually set at 9 or 10. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well I would and have gigged with it and its been fine, I dont have a backup amp so I have to. I dont think I would ever need a back up with this amp its survived with out damage so far. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for around 7 years and this is the first amp I've bought specifically to gig with, I compared it to a Line 6 Spider 2 210, and I choose this one purely because I preferred the non digital sound. And also to the prick commenting on the last review, it's an opinion so dont call anyone a jackass for giving their opinions. I love this amp and I would probably only upgrade if I was going to be getting a tube amp or a Mesa Boogie, but as I dont have the money this will do me fine. // 10

AVT50X Reviewed by: SummertimeBlues, on october 28, 2006

Purchased from: Spectresound

Features: I bought this new in March 2006, so I'm guessing it was built earlier this year. It's a fantastic amp for the money, it covers loads of musical styles and does them all really well. I play blues, punk, heavy rock and a bit of metal, the only one the amp can't do perfectly is metal, but with a good pedal it works great. There's two channels, clean and overdrive each with its' own gain control which I think is possibly one of the best features of this amp. Also has a separate EQ for each channel, with Overdrive having the standard bass, middle, treble and Clean only having bass, treble. I would have prefered it to have had a middle control on the clean channel for a bit more tonal variance but it's still really good. Doesn't come with any built-in effects but they're always naff anyway so that doesn't bother me. // 9

Sound: I play this amp with my Fender mexican Strat with standard pickups and an Aria STG-003 with a hot rail pickup in the bridge. There's only a bit of hum and it isn't even that loud (even with single coils). The EQ offers a great range of sounds, the setting that really surprised me the most was on Overdrive with the bass and treble set to full, middle set to around 4 and the gain all the way up. This gave me a perfect tone when I was playing Papa Roach's Between Angels and Insects. Does all the kind of sounds you'd expect from a Marshall I.e. clean, slightly breaking up, straight up rock and even goes further for- as Marshall describe it, 'Modern gain'. The gain control on the clean channel gives you the option of distorting it at lower volumes by saturating the pre-amp valve, giving that amazing valve break up tone that you're always searching for. However, you can also turn down the gain to stop the amp breaking up so much at higher volumes if you still want to keep that nice crisp, clean tone. The distortion on the amp isn't really suited to really heavy metal but I guess if you turned it up full you would get pretty close. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would gig without a backup, this thing is totally solid. One downside to that is that it weigh's quite a lot (around 21 kg). It's the kind of amp that if you dropped it, it would break whatever the hell you dropped it on and would probably laugh at whatever it was for being so weak. The only thing that has ever given me trouble is the footswitch, sometimes when playing clean, it goes to the overdrive channel for a split second. However, I'm pretty sure this is because I throw the footswitch around and I've most likely damaged the wires inside or something. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said before, it covers all the bases you'd expect and gives you a little more whack for you're money. I've been playing around 2 and a half years now, I also own a Marshall Mg-10cd and have played through quite a few makes of amp. This one really is great and just 'does' rock so much better than any other make I've found yet. If it ever got stolen, I would get another one within the hour because it's so good. I love everything about the amp, especially the spring reverb, which just makes the music really come alive when played loud. I compared it with the Laney LC-15r but went for this because of the great sound and the 12 inch speaker compared to the Laney's 10 inch gave a fuller, bassier sound that really makes the floor shake and brings a smile to your face just from the great feeling. // 9

AVT50X Reviewed by: JI-HALL, on april 03, 2008

Features: The amp was made in 2007 in England and is brilliant for my type of style (southern rock) and other styles. The amp has two channels (clean/overdrive) and has effects loop and a few other great things, I do wish it was a bit louder, but that does not bother me that much, I use my amp at home and it defiantly has enough power for me. The amp has gain, volume, bass, middle, treble and reverb on both clean and overdrive but on clean it does not have middle. // 9

Sound: When I use the amp I use a Fender USA Stratocaster with Fender pickups and it suits my southern rock style perfectly. The amp is not that noisy but if you put the gain over 8 it can get a bit noisy and I have only used my amp in my house so I don't know what environments it is good in. The amp can make quite a lot of sounds which sound perfect but some are not that good with this amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The amp is very dependable because I asked the shop workers if the amp was dependable and if you could take it too a gig and not bring a backup, the amp has never broken down on me (and I am very glad). If my amp was stolen I would get the same one and be very happy with it. // 8

Overall Impression: I play southern rock style with my guitar and it is a brilliant amp to do it with, I have been playing for nearly 2 years and the amp has never broken down on me. The part that I love about my amp is that it gives you a nice crunchy sound which I love, but the part that I hate about it is there is no middle in the clean channel. I did compare it with other Marshall's but this one just stood out to me. // 9

AVT50X Reviewed by: dk13, on april 10, 2008

Features: My amp was made in 2006 and is a special edition, apart from being blue in colour, I don't know what sets it apart from a normal AVT50X. I mostly play your standard rock music like the Chili Peppers, Guns N' Roses, Hendrix stuff (basically anything within my ability) and with sufficient fiddling of knobs, it puts out nicely, always. It has no tacky onboard effects apart from some tasteful reverb which is usable on both channels and of surprisingly good quality. If the lack of effects displeases you however, don't fret, there are plenty of places to fit your whole rig on this and more. A minor problem though is the lack of a middle control in the clean channel, I find myself sometimes reaching for it when it isn't there. Also the weight is a pain when moving it about as it is about 20kg. I would give it 10 if it weren't for the lack of middle control in the clean channel and the weight, and I suppose tacky effects come in handy sometimes, but because of the potential of the inputs and the quality of thingas that are there, and because mine is blue. // 8

Sound: I mostly use my trustworthy tele (stock everything) and these two get along superbly, it's like the amp was made for single coils. The clean channel is satisfyingly warm and deep and stays clear on higher levels of gain. The overdrive is tasty and delivers many joyous tones. However, the top end gain gets really messy, say above 8 or so, but then again sometimes that's not necessarily a bad thing. The tube sound is a little too realistic for a hybrid amp, better than any others I know (sorry Line 6) and the volume that this thing can put out is scary. Something that I have noticed though, is that when I plug in a wah pedal and crank up the overdrive, the effect is quite sluggish and slightly disappointing but I guess I'm just expecting a little too much from it because it performs so well in other aspects. All in all though, it is still my favourite amp by far (and that's including a Fender with real tubes). // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp weighs a tonne, because it is so heavily armoured. When dropped, and trust me it has been dropped a few times, there is no disconcerting noises from inside, no visible damage and certainly no affect on the sound quality. Not only would I gig without backup with this amp, I would gig whilst tapdancing on this amp and in the event that my band are shot at, I would hide behind this amp for cover (I bet it would play even after that). Long story short, this thing is bombproof. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp was a gift to me and my guitar playing, it's a soulmate of rock music. I may only have been playing for three and a half years, but I know that this amp is a gem amongst the lower-to-middle range amps. This thing can't be stolen for the simple fact that it's too heavy (but if it ever was I would certainly buy another one as it's so good and I got it for so cheap (210). I love this amp because it's an underdog, out of all the amps I've ever owned or played, this one logically shouldn't be my favourite, it wasn't even bought with the intention of it being my most frequently used amp, but for some reason, it just is. When I was buying this I tried a large Roland thing, one of the cheap Vox amps and the Marshall MG100DFX, no contest. Anyone Who appreciates tone will realise that there is a large gap between the "MG" series and th AVT series, I don't recommend the MGs at all, I made that mistake in the past. // 9

AVT50X Reviewed by: Karlboy, on may 20, 2008

Purchased from: -

Features: I got this amp (a 2001 model I believe) for Christmas this year. Now, like almost every Marshall amp, the AVT50 really delivers. Also, Marshall didn't riddle it with cheap effects and stuff like that. That makes me (personally) happier because I don't need to worry about them. The amp is very versitile (I play a variety of different kinds of music: Prog, Metal, Blues, Etc.) and definitely gives me the tones I want and need. This amp has two channels, with a footswitch, an FX loop a headphone jack and CD input. The only features I wish it had were more channels, but I'm too cheap to go buy an amp with more. I use this amp at home and generally while jamming and it projects a lot. Mine's closed-back so in front it really gives a punch, and if you put it against a wall, it doesn't matter that it's closed back. // 9

Sound: I play a Standard Mexican Strat with S/S/S picksups through my Marshall. It isn't too noisy when you're not playing (it half-depends on you pickups) and more on the distortion channel (go figure, huh? ). The amp has a very wide variety of sounds from warm, mellow acoustic-like tones to sharp and brighter tones. The clean channel is actually very good considering that it's a Marshall (providing you keep the gain low and the volume at ten). While the distortion is another beastly creation from Marshall. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Since there's something wrong with my amp's fan (I believe), I have to kick it to get it back in place, and my amp seems to be fine with the abuse (thankfully). It hasn't broken down on me, I haven't had to do anything to it other than kick it every once in a while, but that's fine by me. In the durability section, I haven't had it for long enough for it to take all of my full abuse, but by eyeballing the scrapes and other things on it already, it seems to take them well. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar since I was eight and this is by far the best amp that I've played that was mine or a friend's (I'm not going to compare it to amps I've tried in music stores {to be fair}). I also own a small Vox Pathfinder 15R and a DigiTech GNX3000 (for effects). If it were stolen or lost, I'd get a different amp, but only as a just-because kinda thing. I love how I can easily get back to the tone I want if the knobs get smashed about, but I don't like how I's a bit noisy on channel-changes and such (It might just be mine). My favourite feature is simply the distortion channel, because like almost any Marshall, you can get the exact tone you want (using the distortion channel). Also, as I said earlier in this review, I wish that this amp had more channels, but I can cope with two. That's the overall impression this amp has given me. // 9

AVT50X Reviewed by: endless_fight1, on august 27, 2008

Features: The amp was made in 2006 I believe. I play all types of metal (thrash, death, speed etc) and this does not handle them very well. It has a clean and over drive channel with two separate EQ and gain settings. It has an effects loop, headphone jack, an an option for a foot switch (mine came with one). I use this amp in my bedroom and it has plenty of volume for practicing, but when I bring it in my basement to jam it has some trouble keeping up with drums. // 7

Sound: I use this amp with an EC1000 guitar with EMG pickups. With this setup I can get a decent classic rock tone. If I turn the bass above three it gets extremely muddy. This thing really lacks gain for modern metal, but with a distortion pedal it sounds ok. Like most solid state amps as you crank it the sound turns to crap. Either the highs get way to shrilly or the low end to loose. The cleans are ok if I roll the volume knob on my neck pickup but they can get muddy too. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It is not an extremely high quality amp, but it has been very reliable through the years. If for some reason I used it on a gig I don't think I would need a backup. I've had no problems with it at all. The tube has never been replaced or anything. It's pretty rugged as well. It's put up with being bumped around just fine. // 8

Overall Impression: Well this amp doesn't cut it for modern metal. This was the first amp I bought and after a few years I regret it. There are so many better amps in this price range that smoke this. If it were stolen I would not buy it again. I don't really recommend this amp unless you find it cheap. // 6

AVT50X Reviewed by: ncosmo, on january 15, 2008

Features: I believe this amp was made in the mid 1990's, it is not the newer AVTx series, it is the original AVT. This is one of those hybrid amps with a tube preamp to give you that warm tube like sound without spending a fortune. And to be honest it does a pretty good job creating a tube like sound. The overdrive channel is defiantly where the amp really stands out. It gives you that classic Marshall crunch which really sounds great. The clean channel is pretty good, it's nothing spectacular but overall it gets the job done. Unlike the AVT 20 the the clean and overdrive are on two separate channels which are foot-switchable. The only thing that I hate about this amplifier is that it is terrible with pedals. But if you aren't using pedals, then you are set. // 8

Sound: With this amplifier I use a Gibson SG and it sounds glorious on the overdrive channel, classic AC/DC sound. I only use this amplifier in my house so I've never really brought the volume past maybe 3 or 4, even then it's very loud, but I couldn't tell you how it sounds at high volume. The gain on the amp is pretty crunchy and smooth, it not muddy or gritty, just think AC/DC. The reverb or as it's called on this amp depth is pretty nice, it's not cheep sounding. The amp is very simple which is good (clean-gain, volume, bass, treble overdrive-gain, volume, bass, mid, treble, depth) everything you need is there, headphone jack, effects loop, and an auxiliary out. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I bought the amp used in 2007, it was in good condition, not sure if it was ever giged with, I have never giged with it. It's never had any problems, occasionally some dust gets stuck in the cooling fan and makes a little noise, but that's nothing. Though for it's size this amp is pretty heavy, it isn't really that big and it weighs nearly 60lbs. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great amplifier, if you don't plan on using effects pedals. I only wish that I had the footswitch for mine, the Drive channel button is tightly located between the dials. If you're looking for a nice Marshall amp with out spending a fortune on an all tube one, this is it. Just don't make the mistake getting one of those god awful Marshall MG series amps. Those were a joke take to far. // 8

AVT50X Reviewed by: Shoota Fodder, on april 22, 2010

Features: Great Valve/Solid State amp here with two channels, one for clean and one for overdrive. It's a very basic down to earth 'get the job done' kind of amp. It has no effects apart from a reverb control, which is just the way I like it. It's the basics, no cheap effects. If I want to phase it, or add chorus, I'll use a pedal that actually sounds good. It has an effects loop which is perfect if your like me and have a few pedals but don't want to place them at the start of your chain. Headphone jack as well and a CD input, which I actually use with a friend of mine who plays bass as a just a second input for him. Get's a great clean sound from it at least. // 9

Sound: The clean channel is very versatile. Combined with the reverb control, you can get a really really Fender-ish tone from it which is great. I play a Strat through the clean normally and it sounds great! The gain can also be turned up quite high to create a decent overdrive tone while still in the Clean channel. It's not overly saturated, just distorted in a very 60's Blues kind of way. The overdrive channel is great for hard rock. I also play an SG (well a copy, but an SG none the less) and with the gain not even overloaded, you can get a great AC/DC or Airbourne type of sound out of it. At it's maximum level of Gain, the channel still sounds good. It's great for that Black Sabbath tone when you start to reach the zenith of it's power, and even at full you can get a great scream tone when playing a strat in the 2nd or 4th pick-up positions. Think Comfortably Numb if you stick the reverb up high. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I dropped this amp once a while back and a strange hum has been coming from the head ever since. It's quite loud. However, it doesn't increase in volume when the volume of the speaker is increased meaning it is all within the head itself. It didn't effect my tone, and it's mostly inaudible unless your playing at ridiculous low volumes. Some of the wires must be badly fitted as well as after the same droppage, the effects loop went off-line. I had to reconnect some stuff on the inside. The fact I didn't drop it from very high either (no more than 3-4 inches) is slightly worrying. The amp itself has never cut-out on me, but I still worry about it. // 6

Overall Impression: I play mostly blues/funk with some occasional Hard and progressive rock. That's quite a big avenue of sounds to cover, but the amp can handle it. It can get some great high end clean sounds for funk guitar, the clean channel distorts just enough to be perfect for old-school blues, the overdrive channel has a beautiful tone making it perfect for AC/DC esque sounds and it can become so over-driven that metal sounds great as does some screaming 'PinkFloyd-esque' solo's. Overall it's a great amp that does exactly what it does on the tin. No fussy effects except from a modest reverb control. It's just a pure and simple all round great amp. // 10

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ DSL40C 9 Guitar Amplifiers 07/28/2014