Class 5 Review

8.3
 7.8
reviews (13) pictures (3) 62 comments vote for this gear:
Class 5 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2010

Features: Amp was delivered to GC new on 5/25/2010. I purchased 6/11/2010. Class 5 is perfect for blues, rock, or just about anything. I have some awesome pedals before it, (Fulltone Supa Trem, Maxon Delay, BB, AC, Zen Drive, etc...) Takes them all very well. Class 5 is a single channel amp, which is basically the perfect amp for me. I scale everything from the guitar and when I need to take a rocketship, I stomp on the BB. This amp will be used at home and live gigs where I am the "session" guitarist backlining for a vocalist. I'll have all "juice" for a full blown solo, but, she (the vocalist) remains in the spot light. Meaning, I'm not hogging the sonic tone of the stage and blowing away the first 8 rows! Perfect for the genre of blues, or blues with a twist. Features: Simple! Love it! Volume, treble, mid and bass. Two ECC83's and one EL84. Does have a circuit board. // 7

Sound: Sound of the amp is amazing. I own two boutique Dr. Z amps. But for $400 I have to say the sound quality is what made this purchase an "impulse purchase". I wanted a small 5 watter because my 18 watt and 38 watt amps, are just way too loud (especially the Dr.Z MAZ 38). This amp will be perfect for adult contemporary pop, blues, rock and alt rock. This amp has a very bluesy, pop to it. It's very ballsy and has all the characteristics of the old Bluesbreaker, especially when you dime it. The new Celestion 10" speaker is like like a "blue" and has a Killer tone with loads of breakup and harmonic overtones. I love it! Clean is not happening too much with this amp. All that has to come from your guitar volume and how you play. She's like a plexi with that constant bite. The distortion is amazing - harmonic, rich, who needs a pedal! Perfect for a two amp setup, one higher watt amp to handle cleans, then do an a/b Switch to this box for your leads... Killer tone! // 7

Reliability & Durability: Reliability and Durability: This is where the Class 5 starts to fall apart. No pun intended. EL84's usually get 100 to 300 hours of life on them. Changing the tubes in this amp, especially at a gig, might as well be like changing the lens on the Hubble Telescope. On most amps, the tubes are exposed, from the back and can easily be changed. On the Class 5, you have to literally remove the 3 PIECE back, 4 chassis screws (back and top), remove the chassis before you can get to the tubes. Then, good luck getting it all back together. The Chassis bolts and nuts must be made of slag because on my first day of ownership, I stripped them. Bad! Luckily the chassis bolts and their threads they screw into are standard rack mount hardware, so it is easily replaceable, just painful! Also, one thing to keep in mind. EL84's rattle! All of them! So, you'll want to put some kind of dampener on these (herbies dampeners), but you'll have to go through my pains. One Other Thing - Do Not use a powered drill/screw driver to remove the chassis bolts. Since they are slag, the heads will strip easily. Made that mistake too. // 2

Overall Impression: Overall impressions are: For $400 this is one of the best sounding amps I've ever played. Like I said above, I have Dr. Z Maz38 and Dr.Z Carmen Ghia - all hand wired, point to point, built like tanks and sound like Mother f'ers... But... I paid a lot of dinero for them. For $400 this amp sounds amazing and Marshall really got it right with this amp. I'd like to see this same amp in an 18 Watt, or even 40watt model some day. Very killer. What I love is how light it is... Fits on the floor in the back seat of my car. It's very clean, easy to carry - 12lbs, and for an old man, that's cool! What I hate is the poor layout of how one can get at the tubes. No gigging musician or studio musician can take an hour to change a tube! // 8

Class 5 Reviewed by: androidred0100, on october 21, 2010

Purchased from: Alto Music

Features: The Marshall Class 5 is a 5 Watt 1 Channel Tube Amp with the bare minimum for setting you up with Killer tone. It's got a Volume Knob and 3 Band EQ, Bass Middle and Treble, Speaker out for an extra 16 ohm cabinet and Headphones out. That's it. But that's all you really need to just set up and play. The only thing this doesn't have that I think it should is a Gain knob to get clean tones at a higher volume, but honestly you don't get a Marshall for its cleans. Reverb would be nice too, but again, Marshall isn't known for it's 'verb tanks. I use it for practice and open mic nights in small bars mostly. Since it's small and light, it's easy to store in my room and in the front seat of my car and it doesn't kill my arm or hinder my ability to move while walking with it. It's also surprisingly loud for only 5 Watts and can easily cut it's way through the mix in a crowded bar. Long story short, it doesn't have much, but what it does have it does exceptionally well. // 4

Sound: I usually stick to my Epiphone G-400 with Gibson Burstbuckers, my PRS knockoff with Seymour Duncan P-Rails, or my Epiphone Casino and it handles them all nicely. It can go from Blues to Rock and Funk to Country and a little bit of Jazz and some early Metal depending on how you tweak the EQ and the volume/tone on your guitar. I usually keep the Amp Volume at 12 O'clock and that's more than enough to crank the tubes into a sweet sweet overdrive. Keeping it here I get everything from Clapton tones on my G-400 to RHCP on the Casino (I have Californication nailed). I bring it up to 3 O'clock for Sabbath and it's epic. I roll off the volume on the guitar and the cleans come back, tweak the EQ right and anything's possible. Throw in some pedals and the sky's the limit. You're not gonna need a fuzz or od pedal but a good high gain pedal like a Metal Zone or Fullbore Metal can really bring out the potential if that's the sound you're after. I also run a DigiTech Expression Factory 7 and a Boss RC-20 Loop Station and they sound crisp and clear. But my favorite part of this thing, hands down, is how responsive it is to your touch and feel and the dynamics of your playing. If you tickle your strings, its going to sound warm and fuzzy, if you pluck them softly, it'll be round lucid and crisp, if you really hammer them the power of the resulting bark will knock the wind out of you. It's just really really REALLY responsive. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Meh, here's where I'm not to sure. A few days after Christmas '09 I go in to the store to check it out and it sounds great but they only have the one floor model for demonstration with God knows how many hours are on the tubes. But I like it a lot, so I buy it on the spot. I get it home and within a few minutes it sounds like ass and I smell smoke. I take it back and they take a week to change the tubes. I come back to pick it up and again, it sounds great in the store but when I get it home it doesn't even make a sound. I take it back again and they ship it out to the factory for a replacement. 4 months later I get a brand spanking new one and I haven't had a problem with it since. I've gigged with it, I've dropped it, I've walked with it for short distances in the rain and it still sounds amazing. Morel of the story? Don't buy floor models, but warning's a warning and I'm warning you; be careful and make sure what you get is what you pay for. // 5

Overall Impression: Honestly, this amp is the shit. It's awesome. I've had it up and running for 7 months and it really is the perfect match for me. I tested it against a Vox AC4TV and an Orange Tiny Terror and it just has this beautiful midrange bark versus more piercing highs of the others and that just suits me better. I've been playing a little over 3 years and mostly stick to Blues, Rock and Funk and I couldn't find a better amp. Occasionally I'll play some Metal, but that's where pedals come in, but that said the natural distortion it already has is oh so musically rich and dynamic. I'd definitely buy it again and again should anything happen to it and just pray that it's not a floor model. Again, a Gain knob and some Reverb would be nice and I could have waited for a Haze, but honestly, not a big deal for me. I just gotta go out and get a Holy Grail to put in front of my holy grail of tone. The tone and dynamics of this beast far outweigh any potential faults in it's simplicity or construction. // 10

Class 5 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 10, 2011

Purchased from: Eastside Music

Features: 2011 model no rattle issues. I believe the first class fives had some kind of rattle issues. Apparently Marshall has corrected the problem. Simple straight forward 5 watt amp, that has a power Switch to cut it to one watt for bedroom practice. Works very well for bedroom applications or small studio. 1 channel. With volume, bass, mid, and treble. That's it. Simple the way I like it // 10

Sound: I basically play classic rock. I really dig this little tube amp. I'm playing anything from EVH, Rush, Dokken, to Hendrix, and SRV with this little amp. At five watts it is loud. So don't be fooled by the wattage rating even at 1 watt cranked it gets a little loud, but you can't have good tube distortion without some volume, but at one watt its usable in my bedroom studio. Its a 1x10 combo. I was thinking about adding a 1x12 extension cab prolly a celestion greenback. On the eq settings it seems best with the bass turned all the way down, and mid and treble from 12 to max. // 10

Reliability & Durability: No problems, I would gig it, light easy to move and adjust. Just crank it up, put a mic in front of it, and you're good to go. Takes pedals well. Sounds like a Plexi or even a Hot Rodded Plexi. Starts breaking up early (9 oclock). When the volume is maxed its growling. Maybe keep a back up set of tubes if at a gig // 10

Overall Impression: Been playin a long time. This is my "little big rig". Price effective, easy to move, etc. This is a keeper. Made in the UK too. That's pretty cool. Effects loop would be good and maybe a gain control to Drive the preamp section. But all in all its simple. And I like that. // 10

Class 5 Reviewed by: SimplyBen, on october 05, 2009

Features: Features wise this amp has very little. It's a one trick pony, but it's trick is sounding good. All it has to offer is bass, middle & treble controls, the on/off Switch and an input jack. Simplicity at it's best. The lack of a master volume control is the only thing that would really put me off this amp. // 3

Sound: I tested it with a Tokai Love Rock with stock pickups and it sounded wonderful. I would recommend this amp mainly for blues -> classic rock players and all points inbetween, with a boost it could probably hit 80's metal (Metallica & such) but I didn't try it. This amp is really just 5W of Marshall roar, I got the chance to crank it up to full volume and was blown away by just how loud it was. It starts to break up at around 4/5 on the volume knob giving you a fair amount of headroom on such a small amp. The cleans on it sounded very nice as well very glassy Marshall cleans. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I couldn't really comment as I haven't played it for too long but it seemed very solidly built and there's not much that could go wrong with it. (The 5 is just a random number since I don't know what it should be) but from my experience with Marshalls I would imagine it's a pretty reliable solidly built amp. // 5

Overall Impression: For playing rock this amp is amazing, the classic Marshall tone really shines through. I compared it to a Blackstar HT-5 and while the Blackstar is good for metal and has more features, I'd still buy the Marshall. I'd be on the way to get the Blackstar and somehow end up in a store handing over the money for the Marshall because of it's amazing tone. // 9

Class 5 Reviewed by: Archer18, on october 13, 2009

Purchased from: PMT

Features: This amp was made in 2009 in England. This amp suits the genre's I play (Blues, Classic Rock); that's one of the reasons why I chose it. It is a 1 channel amp with Master Volume, Treble, Middle and Bass. Also comes with a headphone jack and extension cab jack for 16 ohms. I would of like the amp to have reverb. I will be using it for a gig in a couple of weeks and see if it can handle a small theatre. // 6

Sound: I'm currently using a Epiphone Les Paul Classic with stock pickups. This amp has that classic Marshall roar you hear on so many records. It is perfect for classic rock. The amp does get quite noisy when increasing the volume. Paired with my Rothwell Heartbreaker, it's great, I began to play some Van Halen, The lead tone out of this with my heartbreaker is amazing, nice, smooth and thick. As the amp is one channel and has just a master volume when you gradually increase the volume, it starts to break up at around 4. I'm yet to try out the gain on the amp because the amp is loud, so I'm waiting till everyone is out of my house. But I'm going to hopefully be buying a 2x12 to help it out at gigs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have only had it a day, so as expected it hasn't died. I'm going to gig with it without a backup. The amp looks very sturdy. It has 4 rubber "feet" on the bottom which look sturdy. Tolex looks good and I'm yet to open it up to have a look inside. The grill cloth is classic Bluesbreaker. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Blues and classic rock and this is a perfect match. I have been playing about 3 years now and I bought this to replace my AC15. If it was lost/stolen I would definately go buy another on because the sound is just what I'm looking for. I compared this with the Blackstar HT-5 and the Class 5 just sounded so much nicer (smoother, more Vintage sounding). // 9

Class 5 Reviewed by: sberube1979, on july 29, 2010

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

Features: There isn't too much you can say about features on this. It has a volume knob, bass, middle and trebble. It has a line out for a 16 ohm speaker and one for headphones. You cannot get any distortion out of this amp without cranking it. Marshall's website claimed that this could be controled with your guitar's volume but I was unable to get any sound I liked doing that. If you want distortion or FX you need pedals. // 5

Sound: I was playing this mostly with my Epi Les Paul Custom with Seymour Duncan PUPs. The sound was great, but there was one problem as many people have mentioned, the back rattled. Rattle aside though it would get nice rich clean tones and a Big Muff sounded awesome at low levels. As far as the sound of the amp's natural distortion I only cranked it once and wound up frying one of the tubes. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would never depend on this amp. I had a lot problems with it. As I mentioned I blew one of the tubes, the tech at a local shop (not the one I bought it from) said it was a low quality tube. I was having problems later with the amp cutting out. I thought it might be my cords but after a million times pulgging in this and taking out that it kept doing it. I finally wound up selling this amp back to where I bought it at a $150 loss. // 5

Overall Impression: I was so disappointed with this amp. I was able to get some nice sounds out of this, but it kept having problems. I has really high hopes about this and was pretty excited to be owning a Marshall tube amp. I like simple amps like this, I sold my 76 Champ when I heard these were coming out (big mistake). I have read from different reviews that Marshall has worked out some of the issued like the rattle, but I would not buy another of these. Yes it's a Marshall, UK made, all valve, but it's far from what you'd expect. If you really want a Marshall tube amp save your money and put it towards a Haze or a MA. // 5

Class 5 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 29, 2010

Features: Not sure what year the amp was made. I walked in looking for something to replace my Vox AC4TV which I was bored of. I see this beautiful thing sitting (untouched) on the shelf. I asked to try it and the sound made my heart skip a beat. I told the employee and GC not to let anyone touch the amp. I raced home and got my AC4 and traded it in. They only gave me $40 bucks but I didn't care. Feature wise, the amp is perfect for me but some people just HAVE to reverb or presence etc etc. I get more than enough usable tones from this baby and if you want reverb, drive, delay, or anything else. Get a f*cken pedal. // 10

Sound: I play a Jimmie Vaughan Strat straight into the amp. Sometimes I use an elephant stomp box which is a TS9 clone made here in Redondo Beach. The amp purrs at low volumes and can scream when cranked. At higher volumes I have trouble taming the beast so I use the pedal to clean it up. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for almost a year and it hasn't let me down. I have no problems with rattling or anything else. Never contacted Marshall either. The amp is pretty solid. I'm not a stupid kid and I take care of the things I love (Like this amp) and it hasn't let me down. Haven't had the tube replaced yet but I'll probably have to pretty soon since I play this thing everyday. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of Classic Rock & Punk. From the Beatles to Crucifix. This amp handles it all. I've only been playing for 4 years but I've had a lot of gear. The reason I gave this amp such high reviews is because I've finally found an amp that I haven't gotten bored of. This amp makes me want to play everyday and if were stolen I'd cry for a bit and I'd start working on getting another one. The new white ones look pretty cool too. // 10

Class 5 Reviewed by: theTMG84, on may 13, 2011

Features: I have the Class 5 (5 watt) all valve head (modded by RAT amps). It was made this year (2011). Original features - bass, middle, treble, volume, Modded features: 1. 'OPR' - Output Power Reduction. 2. Variable Boost Footswitch - Switches the Boost Circuit On-or-Off with Variable Boost Control, RED LED Indicator - Metal Construction with 12 Foot Lead. 3. Master Volume Control - Allows Preamp Overdrive -or- Power Amp Overdrive -or- Both. 4. 3x Preamp 'Bias' and 'Gain' Switches. 5. Modified Tone Stack - Allows each Frequency to sweep from 'Zero-to-Max'. 6. Series FX Loop - 'Send' and 'Return'. The 'Send' Socket can also be used as a PREAMP 'Line Out' and the 'Return' Socket can be used for Direct Access to the Valve Power Amp (For External Preamps -or- Multi-Effects Processors). 7. Dedicated 'Line Out' Socket - Speaker Emulated (Open Back Cab) taken from the Output Transformer - Active in both 'Speaker' and ' Headphone' Mode. As you can see its got some extra goodies! I wouldnt say its overly versitile, but I dont want or need a versitile amp. I mainly use this for band practice and small gigs, it has plenty of power to be heard over drums and a bass. // 9

Sound: It sounds like what you'd expect from marshall, turn it up and get classic crunch! You can fully crank it and turn the power output down with the OPR knob, this gives you tube saturation at lower volumes a bit like an attenuator. The added fx loop was the icing on the cake for me, I like to use delays atc in the loop and also my decimator g string needs a loop, it works perfectly. It hasn't alot of clean headroom but I don't really play a lot of clean stuff. If I want to clean thins up a bit I just turn my guitars volume knob down a little. On the whole it sounds awesome! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its as well made as any over marshall! The ply seems a little thinner than the larger sized heads but its still well made with a very nice handle! All the grills are metal and feel pretty sturdy. Its suprisingly light, which isnt a bad thing. I get fed up with lugging heavey equipment about. // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play hard rock and this hits the nail on the head. I have a modded epi vj which sounds really nice but the Class 5 has better features and sound generally better. I play it through a Marshall 1936v cab which complements it well. If it was lost or stolen I'd get another. // 9

Class 5 Reviewed by: Goldtop11, on july 12, 2011

Features: This amp was made in 2011. It is the new C5-01 version of the combo with the relocated tubes, better cab construction (no rattle) and low power switch. Basically Marshall went through and solved all of the problems people have had with this amp. This amp has one channel and your standard Volume, Treble, Mid and Bass knobs. It has an extension cab output as well as a headphone output. The headphone output switches on the low power mode when headphones are not plugged in. This amp has very little features, but once you get the hand of this amp, you'll never miss channel swithing, effects loops or any of that nonsense. // 10

Sound: Ok, this amp is flat out amazing. It sounds like you found the amp that Angus Young, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix and many many other famous Marshall users used to record all of their albums. All you have to do is plug your guitar in and set everything to 12'o clock and there's no mistaking that this is a Marshall tube amp. I own three guitars; A Cochran Custom Shop Blue with Kent Armstrong pickups, a Cochran Singlecut Gold top (my father made these guitars, this is why you've probably never heard of them, lol). And a Washburn Jazz Hollowbody with a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat added in the bridge position. I've also used a strat with this amp. Basically, this amp's sound will dramatically change depending on what guitar you are using. Humbuckers give you a nice raunchy cruch that honestly beats any other cruch tone I've heard from anything, the P-90s sound very bluesy and deep and the single coils are very sparkly and clear. Basically the pickups sound exactly like they should. The sound starts to overdrive with the volume at about 3 with humbuckers, 4 with P-90s and 5 with single coils. This is also a very bassy amp with humbuckers and P-90s. My Blue and Goldtop are my main guitars (both have humbuckers) and the bass setting is on 3, lol. The amp is perfect for Blues all the way up to early metal fully cranked. (Think 80's metal) I like to put the volume at about 4 for a very nice crisp AC/DC like crunch and then use my MXR Classic Overdrive to boost it for leads. This amp also LOVES pedals. If you want to hear the best sound you've ever heard from a Crybaby wah, plug it into a Class 5. The low power Switch is a life saver on this amp. Don't be fooled by 5 watts, this baby Bluesbreaker is LOUD. I sold my Marshall DSL 100 watt halfstack to get this, and on the full volume, this amp probably equals the 100 watt halfstack on 3 or 4! The full power mode and the low power mode acually sound a little different tone wise. The full power mode is a bit more trebly and has more bite to it. The low power has more bass. I believe this is due to the speaker not distorting in the low power mode. I acually use the low power mode for about 90% of what I do. I gig with a three piece Blues-Rock band, and the full power is acually too loud for most small venues we play at. This is no problem, since I simply mic the amp on low power mode. It will get the job done at larger venues though on full power mode. If it's not loud enough on full power, then the venue should deffinitly be big enough to have a PA to mic it. This amp also cuts through the mix very very well since it has that low-midrange bark that classic Marshall's are famous for. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for about a month now. I was a little scared to buy it honestly, because I have wanted a Class 5 since they came out, but I've always read that they had all kinds of problems. This one was a floor model at my local Guitar Center, so I was even more reluctant to buy it. I did however because the sales guy said that Marshall was really really back-ordered and that I needed to get that one because their next shipment of them was set for September, lol. Luckily, I have had absolutly no problems with this amp. It also seems very study. The same build quality of my Marshall DSL halfstack. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the perfect amp. If you want to sound like any guitar hero from the 60's, 70's and even quite a few from the 80's, this is the amp. I have unfortunatly never been able to play a Plexi or Bluesbreaker full volume, but this must be what it is like. This little guy sounds like he was built in the 60's and just oozes with Vintage vibe and mojo. If you want the 100% classic Marshall sound for a reasonable price and volume, this is the amp you want. This doesn't just sound like a classic Marshall, it pretty much is one. // 10

Class 5 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 11, 2012

Features: The Marshall Class 5 is a one channel all tube class A amplifier. It only has volume, bass, mid, and high, and a line out and headphone jack. The amp comes equipped with a El84 power tube delivering 5 watts, and also has a 10in speaker designed for the amp. // 7

Sound: Despite the lack of notable features, this amp puts out amazing tone. I've owned numerous amps and none have had the sound quality as this, it can be cranked to give you a crunchy solid classic distortion, and can also clean up pretty nicely. So unless you plan on using this for metal, there's no genre this amp can't hit. For advice, volume 7 is the sweet spot, and keep the bass nob rolled all the way down for best tone (the amp is very bassy as is). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Although having for only a short time, I've found this amp to be very well made and tough. It is a Marshall after all. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, the amp is a keeper. It gives me the sound I'm looking for in a smaller package, although don't let it's 5 watts fool you, it gets very loud. So go get one asap! You won't regret it! // 9

Class 5 Reviewed by: jrenkert, on january 11, 2012

Features: This 5 watt all tube amp was made in the UK and is a classic rock demon! It doesn't get a whole lot simpler than the good ol' treb, bass, and mid controls with a single volume knob. Its the definition of "no frills" and if you're wanting some bells and whistles look somewhere else, but if your looking for straight up Marshall tone in miniature then go no further! // 8

Sound: I've played mine mainly through a Gibson SG with Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB pickups (coil split) with the occasional use of a MIM HSS stock Stratocaster. With my Gibson I usually play with the treb. And mid. Controls dimed and the bass at about 9 o'clock... With my experience Strats need a lot of tweaking to find the perfect tone but its doable (When it comes down to it I'm just not a Strat guy). The volume control is where things get interesting at 10 o'clock the tubes start to get overdriven and an easy touch sensitive distortion a la "Baby I'm Gonna Leave You" is achieved... At about 2 o'clock on the dial the amp has reached its full volume (in my experience easily heard over a mindful drummer) and the rest of the way is just layering on the wonderful Led Zeppelinesque vibe. I occasionally throw on a London Fuzz pedal to the mix when I do play my Strat and get great Jimi Hendrix sounds but definitely more on the dirty side and if I change to my SG it gets all Black Keys up in there... This amp doesn't (in my 6 months long experience with it) do clean very well which may be a drawback for some but if you want great late 60's/70's overdriven tone this may be for you. // 8

Reliability & Durability: 6 months and going strong... Don't leave it out in the cold and expect anything nice to come out of it though. This amp is built fairly solid and thus far I've nothing to complain about except for maybe its weight... For 5 watts this thing is heavy (you can do it one handed but I live up three and a half flights of stairs so I complain). // 9

Overall Impression: For those looking for CLASSIC ROCK in a small package, maybe for those who need a small practice amp or even a recording amp, I'd say go for it! I play lots of classic rock and this thing does it for me. It is kinda heavy and its lack of a good clean tone is a little saddening but maybe with some more tweaking I'll get one. I chose this amp for the Led Zeppelin sound I've been craving and in a manageable size and I got exactly what I payed for. I recommend it! // 9

Class 5 Reviewed by: pserex9, on february 20, 2012

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: This amp was made in 2011, therefore the rattling issue everybody complains about has been solved (I've had the amp for 7 months). I have played for 2 years but I'm very good at it, I mostly play Rock, Hard Rock, Thrash Metal, Classic Rock and a lot of RATM stuff and this amp is doing well with that stuff (with pedals). This is a single channel amp with a 3 band equalizer and a channel volume, a headphone jack and a speaker output which is perfect for gigs. The only feature I find this amp is missing is a master volume because it's just too loud for some situations. // 8

Sound: I'm now playing with a Mexi Fender Jaguar and a Gibson SG with burst buckers, a Boss DS-2, a Boss OS-1, a DigiTech whammy, a Ibanez Wah, and a unknown brand sound filter. The sound of this amp is perfect because it really nails the classic rock sound (Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Guns N Roses, etc) and also can do other genres but it would need pedals. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is Class 5 weakness because tubes can blow anytime and changing them is a pain in the ass because you need to unscrew the back and remove the chassis to change the tubes and that could be headache in a gig. Overall this amp has been very reliable and had never caused me any problem (apart from tube changing) but I can't opine very much on this because I've only had the amp for 7 months. // 7

Overall Impression: This is the best amp I've ever owned (Fender Blues Junior, Fender Champion 500, Line 6 Spider IV) because it naturally nails the tone of the best classic rock bands and can nail a million other tones with some pedals. If this amp was stolen I'd probably buy the white version of it (only for the looks). I love almost everything about this amp and for me the only downgrade is the tube changing issue but apart from it this amp is perfect. // 9

Class 5 Reviewed by: Flamejob, on october 09, 2013

Price paid: A$ 650

Purchased from: 5 Star Music

Features: Made in the UK in 2012 (?) All Class-A tube amp. Its one of the later models where they have cleaned up some of the issues they had with the earlier ones and added a power reduction switch on the back. Its pretty basic - Volume, Treble, Mid, Bass, Headphone Jack, output. A master Volume or Gain would have been perfect because getting that beautiful crunch from this amp means you really need to crank it, but believe me, the sound you get from this at high volumes is breathtaking. I got the creamy white model and it looks beautiful with old piping around the edges. // 8

Sound: Like most of these reviewers, I play blues/metal/rock. My main squeeze is a Gibson Les Paul Standard 2013. I've been playing for 20 years but not being a regular "gigger" I never owned a real tube amp and have always used Marshall solid state combos. So after years of bedroom playing I wanted to finally make the transition from solid state to tube amp. Obviously being 5 watt, this one seemed perfect, particularly given that it has the ability to switch down to a quieter mode and not deafen my wife and kids. Well, my goodness this thing is loud. I put it on a sturdy shelf about head-high in my study and cranked it. I had to back out of the room because I thought my ears were seriously going to start bleeding. The problem I found is that even at a deceptively meagre 5 watts, it was way too loud for my humble home as the controls are so basic (Bass, Middle, Treble, Volume) that to get the crunch / distortion I was after you need to crank it just like those old school amps. But I cant complain, when I did crank this thing, I could finally see what all those pretentious, elitists tube amp snobs were hollering about on internet forum posts over the years. Because the sound that came out of this cranked baby just blew me away. Harmonic overtones, blah blah blah, I don't know what that really means but this unit is so responsive to the way your fingers actually sound fretting the strings its amazing. When you smash out some big power chords, it absolutely thunders. Play some softer lead melodies without adjusting for volume and its just purrs or screams purely depending on the intensity with which you fret the board. Obviously using humbuckers in my Les Paul, its breaks up easier than single coils but when it does start to break up, it just crumbles so beautifully - Cream, early Van Halen, Sabbath, Page, Slash are all effortlessly dialled in the cranked zone. The only problem I found personally with this amp is that I love my distortion thick and soupy and to get that sound – which this amp can do easily - I had to crank it which wasn't practical given my circumstances. So I tried a few stomp boxes in front of it. I used an EH Big Muff Pi, a Tube Screamer and finally a Boss Turbo Distortion unit – all of them sounded ridiculously awesome. The Boss Turbo Distortion won out in the end but with any of these I was able to get "god-like" overdrive tones from this amp at very low volumes. As far as clean is concerned, and at the risk of sounding single-minded, I haven't really pushed it. Not having on-board reverb or chorus limits it's versatility but as evidenced with my distortion pedals, it plays beautifully with external effects so a chorus or reverb pedal in front of it should really shine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Reliability? Well it has Class A glass tubes inside it so go figure. Anyway the cabinet it pretty damn solid and you just got to be careful I guess but I've lugged my other Marshalls to gigs and parties over the years with no problems. Straight out of the box, when you switch it on and the tubes warm up you get an alarming odour that smells a little like a burning "new car stank," which I guess is to be expected with a brand new unit but that disappears quickly. I got the white one purely because it was the last one in the store but it looks lovely and retro sitting up on a shelf in my study. // 10

Overall Impression: To sum up, this unit has totally overhauled my tone and even the way I play particularly if you are taking the step from solid state to tube. Having to crank it to get that beautiful crunch and distortion was initially, for me a drawback until I discovered just how well it plays with stomp boxes. This amp would be the perfect recording amp. When you consider that many of those early blues rock albums were recorded in the studio with little low wattage Fender tube amps similar to this one. Home practice with a stomp box to overdrive it at low volumes works extraordinarily well with this baby. // 9

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ MG30CFX 9.9 Guitar Amplifiers 12/02/2014