DSL15H Review

7.3
 7.1
reviews (2) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
DSL15H Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: This is the new 15/7.5-watt all-valve, 4-ECC83, 2-6V6 amp head with two channels, pentode/triode switching, deep switch, tone shift, and footswitch. Four way shared EQ, (bass, treble, mid, presence). No effects loop or reverb on the head. Front input jack, rear footswitch. // 6

Sound: Pickups: Used a bit of everything single coils, DiMarzio HBs, Seymour HB's, PRS HB's, Gibson 490R/498T And EMGs. The Gibson and PRS HB's are probably my favorite through this amp (may have more to do with the guitars themselves). Cabinet: Amp would benefit greatly through a larger cab. I am using a Marshall AVT112 closed back with a V30. Sounds tight and very loud, but would benefit from another driver. Clean Channel: VERY clean... Need to Dime out the master just to get a semi-plexi tone like a Class 5... No crunch here, you would need a pedal. OD Channel: This is where this amp shines in my opinion... Crushing amount of gain and sustain IMO could cover anything from 80s rock to full metal. Tone Switches: The "Deep" button works really well, particularly at lower volumes. The "Tone Shift" button is some sort of "auto" mid scoop that I am not fond of. Reverb/Effects Loop: Non-existent... We all know this already. I ran a reverb pedal and a DD-7 in front of the amp... Sounds fine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Had the amp a week... Can't comment. Build quality appears good. Seems rugged, nice tolex. Switches - knobs are solid. I believe this is one of the first of the Vietnam amps, so I have my fingers crossed. I remember the first batch of C5's had issues, hoperfully not the case hear. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall: I am VERY impressed with this amp and really don't care that is was not assembled in Bletchley or not. Stands toe to toe with my Mesa Mini-Rec on the Drive channel. While it would be nice to have a crunch channel, reverb and a loop. For less than $450...I LOVE IT!!

// 8

DSL15H Reviewed by: Tellem Rick, on april 06, 2015

Features: I got this amp used, So I have no clue what year it is... But the clean section needs a boost, so I decided to get a Joyo AC Tone pedal to run through it. Made a huge difference. Mainly bc the clean would get dirty and the dirty channel was absolutely filthy. Ways too much gain. What was Marshall thinking? No one uses that much f--king gain. Anyways, once you dial in your settings (via booster; tube swap) whatever, it can a ton of amazing tones. I think the hardest part is taming the RED channel. BC it's f--king crazy. I'm thinking about throwing a couple of 12AT7 in the V1 and V4 position to give this Marshall a f--kin chill pill. Anyways... Sounds great for the money but get ready to get your hands dirty. // 8

Sound: Heavyyyy as f--k. I mean this amp get so fucking heavy sometimes I drop it just to let it know that its not the boss of me. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Only had it for about a week so I can't say just yet words. The amp sounds really good... Everything else written below this is going to be bullsh-t. Well I just went to pee, turned out I passed out face first on to a curling iron of my sisters. Lol hahahahahahah damn her for not putting that away. But seriously who just passes out randomly from day to day jeeeesh I mean that's super weird, and it makes me uncomfortable from time to time. All four preamp tubes sound really nice... Especially the V1 position, it glows much brighter. // 5

Overall Impression: I play rock, and this amp can for sure do that. // 8

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ MG10CF 8.9 Guitar Amplifiers 04/13/2015