G215RCD Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 02/12/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: G215RCD
This amp adds true stereo chorus to give spread and depth to your sound. Two separate 15 watt power amps deliver sound to a pair of 8" speakers.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Features: 7.5
 8.3
 7.7
 8.8
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
G215RCD Reviewed by: Tomamo5, on march 19, 2007

Features: I'm not too sure about this amp. It has 2 built in speakers and it has chorus effects, reverb, etc. It has headphones and a CD player input. I was out looking for a new amp as my old one died (finally). My old amp broke before my band practice and I was in a rush before band practice. It is a lot better than my old amp and I'm happy enough with the features. // 8

Sound: I'm a rock, punk rock, punk-pop (lots of Blink 182), alternative rock, Indie person. The amp is really good enough for me and it usually gets the sounds I want. What I don't like about it is that it is a bit noisy when on full distortion but the clean is fine. I'm not sure bout the chorus and reverb but I love them but that's probably because my old amp never had them. The distortion isnt the most brutal but with my DS-1 Boss pedal it's heavy enough for what I play. I use an Epiphone Dot and a Fender Squier Strat Affinity. The chorus sounds pretty good to me. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well it's my only amp now, and it's defo by far better than my old one. It's quite heavy because of the two speakers but I would use it in a gig. Not sure bout other people but I'll use it in a gig, but that's probably cause I don't have much. it's still quite new as in last week new, so it hasn't broken down yet but it fell over once in the car and no damage that I can see. Seems reliable and durable to me. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that I don't think it's the best amp in the world, but it's good compared to what I used to have and it's enough for me. I wish I did try out the other amps that the guitar dude was offering me too though. I probably wont buy this again if it was lost because I like to try new stuff out. I probably would have prefered the Marshall I was going to get though. My verdict, not the best, not the worst. // 8

G215RCD Reviewed by: vulgarmachine, on february 12, 2009

Purchased from: A guitar store

Features: This amp is quite old, I am not sure of exact dates, but it is pre MG, and hence isn't as awful as some more recent offerings. It is a Twin speaker solid state combo. It has a 3 band EQ (bass, treble and contour- which is in essence mids), a two control pre-amp (gain 1 and gain 2) although this is not switchable. It has a digital chorus effect built in with a twist - it is Twin channel, however, there is a minor flaw with this. It does not work like a normal Twin channel (distortion channel/clean channel) but is instead normal/effects, with the button turning the effect (chorus) on. I use this amp for bedroom practice, and a couple of gigs, and it has served me well. It is now coming to the end of a well used life, and will gradually take a step back. // 7

Sound: My guitar has 2 humbuckers and a single coil pick up, but this has little bearing on sound from the amp. The amp has the typical tone features of mid priced solid state amps; it sounds good turned down, but becomes quite clipped when turned up. With this amp, as a flaw of it's Twin preamp system - it is very difficult to get a clean tone when cranked up loud, although it is possible. It is not overly noisy, in fact I have used noisier valve combos, but it is still "solid state" noisy. This mostly occurs when the amp is turned up with full distortion. The distortion on this amp can go from quite clear to quite muddy depending on the pick up being used. For the most it is pretty clear. The chorus is this amps trump card. It is pretty nice sounding and a genuinely nice effect. Thankyou Marshall for throwing this little gem in. The distortion isn't "brutal." It'll do for thrash and the bottom of metal. It certainly won't do black metal or anything crazy. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have used this amp for the last 3 years with no problems. It has done quite a few gigs with out back up. It has survived some incidents, and being bashed around/transported. It is more reliable than some combos I have used, and is certainly well built. Looking into the back of the amp, one can see a pretty tough looking transformer and amplifier case. The speakers look well secured and are reasonably rugged. I have, and will gig without a back up with this amp. It hasn't let me down yet. Famous last words methinks haha. // 9

Overall Impression: I play thrash in my band, and every genre under the sun at home. It serves me well in all but the most extreme genres. I've been playing for 4 years now, and I play an Ibanez RG570, which is pretty good. The only flaw with this amp is the fact that it doesn't have a dedicated distortion/clean channel. But that is a small price to pay. If it broke, or were stolen or lost I probably wouldn't buy this amp again. Not because it is rubbish, but because I would probably look for something with better tone and not solid state, because I am tone buff. Overall it's a good practice amp and not much else. // 7

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ MG30CFX 9.9 Guitar Amplifiers 12/02/2014