G30RCD Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 05/18/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: G30RCD
Smooth as Formica clean channel, classic Marshall distotion (Albeit non-valve in quality). Adequate volume for home practice or small room gigs without a skin banging drummer present.
 8.6
 8.9
 8.2
reviews (2) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
G30RCD Reviewed by: tbarrettl, on august 26, 2008

Features: I bought this amp used as a practice amp and I wanted to get bang for my buck. I like the Clean when it comes to sound quality on this amp though for a 30 watt amp with a 10" speaker it doesn't produce much volume. The amp has the ability to have a line out and in along with headphones so I can silently practice and it is foot switchable. I like the Reverb in general on this amp and have yet to try Effects pedals on it. When it comes to the overdrive channel the volume is more than enough and the Gain is exceedingly heavy, it is so heavy that I only need to turn it up 1/3 to have a good Hard Rock sound and it gets too heavy at higher settings though in all the Amp works for any style I use it for. // 9

Sound: I have been using a Dean Vendetta 1 with this amp and my brother's Affinity Strat which both sound better than by former Fender Frontman 15R did with those guitars. I have only practiced with this amp though it works from blues to hard rock to even heavy metal though it's distortion gets excessive for me though that might be to blame because of my Dean. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would certainly trust this amp for Gigging although If I were to use the clean channel I would have to hook this amp up to a PA system because the clean doesn't have much volume through the speaker. I can say that this amp is built to last and even though it has been knocked over and such it still looks new, I also bought this new and the user before me supposedly gigged with this at loud volumes and knocked it over and it still looks as good as a new MG30DFX though I prefer this amp's sound. // 10

Overall Impression: I play basically alternative, progressive rock, experimental rock, and metal in general and this amp is suitable to make the sounds needed except for chorus and such which is understandable. I have been playing almost 4 years and this replaced my garbage Fender Frontman 15R which had a preamp meltdown. If I had to replace this amp I would probably upgrade to a Tube amp or something more powerful though maybe another Marshall as long as it would have the crunch this one has. I do really like how effective the spring Reverb is compared to my Frontman's when it worked. I was able to get this at a price of a 15 watt "Beginners" amp and I know I have the best deal for the price and I am pleased with this amp. It would have been nice if there was delay and chorus on this amp though the sound quality is less fake than the MG series so I don't miss those and the G series has the Marshall Crunch which certainly was missed with the Digital series. // 9

G30RCD Reviewed by: bassmastamitch, on may 18, 2011

Purchased from: Pawn X-Change

Features: A great Marshall combo: 30 watts of output, 2 channel clean/overdrive, reverb dial, CD/iPod/auxilary input to play along with songs, headphone jack and open back to store things and access speaker. Works with all styles that I play, like hard rock, alternative, jazz, metal, and slap bass. // 9

Sound: The amp has very good bass tone shape and sound, even when you don't have bass up too high. I'm impressed. The clean has the nice Marshall tone you expect; the distorion has very good crunch on high gain settings, and there's a good sweet spot for cool overdrive tones, too. The reverb works well with a wah setting, but when you bump into the amp when it's reverb is high, it makes this weird shimmer noise. But overall, the amp sounds like a dream on guitar, and the same on bass. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I got it used at a pawn shop, but it sounds really good to me. The only thing is when the reverb is high and you bump into the siding, the amp makes a weird shimmer noise. It sounds cool, but not when you're playing a metal piece or something. But the amp hasn't broken on me yet, so that's not a problem :D // 8

Overall Impression: This is a good practical amp. Probably not loud enough for live performing, but the amp has good effects settings for really cool sounds. Coming from a 10 Watt Fender before this, it sounds like God blessed it, but this is a fairly inexpexnsive, yet good quality Marshall. Highly reccommend it. // 9

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Haze 40 7.5 Guitar Amplifiers 03/05/2014