JCM2000 TSL60 Head Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 07/09/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: JCM2000 TSL60 Head
The latest addition to the JCM2000 family, the TSL60 head boasts three footswitchable channels - clean, crunch and lead; dual Reverb controls and more.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.4
 Features: 8.7
 9.1
 9.2
 8.9
reviews (10) 39 comments vote for this gear:
JCM2000 TSL60 Head Reviewed by: rinio, on july 09, 2007

Purchased from: Steve's

Features: Mine is either a 2006 or a 2007. You have probably already read the features so I'm not going to go too into details, but basically the 3 channels is really nice, the only feature I think that could be added is a separate EQ for the "crunch" channel. I don't like how it shares an eq with the lead channel. It is not ideal but it is workable (I think it has a separate eq on the 100W model) the 5 button footswitch is pretty nice, the wire seems cheaply made, but looks like it will last if you take care of it. One thing I don't like is that it cuts out when you switch between Clean and distorted channels. If I played in a 1 guitar band then this would be a huge issue for me. I like that the fx loop can be wired as a lead boost by just running a patch cord thru it and pressing the button to +4db. I use this amp to practice and power small halls. It is easily loud enough to do any room for up to 500ppl without PA support. The deep switch is amazing. // 7

Sound: I use a PRS Santana SE with this, and a 150W 16ohm homemade cab with 2 celestion speakers. It sounds very nice. I play a sort of post 3rd wave ska core, so I need to have a lot of verstatility. I need to be able to run out a smooth dubsound and a heavier hardcore punk sound, and this does the trick. The distortion goes just short of being metal, which makes it perfect for punk, and with the deep Switch I can easily dial in some sick reggae/ska/dub clean. Honestly, the distortion could be better; it slightly lacks warmth, therefore I would not want to use it in a studio setting, but for Live it really cuts through the mix, better than a lot of amps that might sound a little warmer. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Marshall's are known for reliability. I'm hoping that's true. I have a friend who uses this amp and he has been using his since the early '90s for gigging/touring/etc. and has never had a problem with it. I'm hoping mine will hold up the same. A few days ago, I had a little glitchwith it. the volume cut down to just a little more than nothing. I rotated the tubes, and all was well. I don't know, perhaps a little dust or something like that. Should hold up though. // 9

Overall Impression: I love it. Perfect for anything that needs a smooth, deep clean, or anything rock based short of metal/numetal. It is a perfect match for those who play contemporary ska. I've been playing 5 yrs and this is really the amp for me. I would probably buy this amp again. I love the versatility, and the way that it cuts through the mix. I hate that the sound cuts out when you Switch between clean and distortion. I looove the deep switch. I was debating on whether to get the Peavey 5150 which was a little bit cheaper than this amp. I found that the Peavey was a little bit clunky sounding, and didn't have as nice of a clean as the TSL. Plus, the 5150 sounded best when it was very driven, whereas with this amp I could have optimal sound at slightly less driven. // 9

JCM2000 TSL60 Head Reviewed by: OzzyCat, on january 20, 2004

Purchased from: Second hand

Features: The amp is pure Marshall. It's made for rock... loud ass rock. To be honest, I bought it for that and haven't needed to try any other type of music. Three channels. Two EQ. One EQ split over the Crunch and Lead channels. Cleans are pretty flippin' nice, and don't start to break up til you hammer the volume BIG time! The crunch channel has lots of gain if you want, and can handle leads nicely, however, the Lead channel is a monster. For awesome fat ass high gain rock leads, and rhythms, the Lead channel is brilliant. It has the shared EQ but if you want seperate you go for the 100 Watt version. I use it in band rehearsals and gigs and it is loud enough with my cab to not need a PA mic. It's an all tube amp delivering some sweet tones. // 8

Sound: I use an Epiphone Les Paul, with replaced pickups (Seymour Duncans). The sound is very GnR/Slash, but thats how I have it set up on purpose. The amp is as close to what I have dreamed of as I think I will ever need. It's clear sound, with nice warmth. Not noisy at all. The distortion is utterly amazing and will go on and on... it's got some of the higest gain you will find on a Marshall amp. However, I keep the gain low and still get the power tubes pumping out hot distortion. Keep it on 10!!! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've beaten this thing around like crazy and it's held up so far! No probs with reliability either. // 10

Overall Impression: Put simply, this amp is amazing. :P // 10

JCM2000 TSL60 Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 10, 2005

Purchased from: Second Hand - Ebay

Features: You can find features on Marshall sites but here are a few: 60 watt all tube (easily powerfull enough for a gig). FX Loop - which can kinda suck with certain FX (I'm not a Moron who put a distortion pedal in the loop or anything, obviously FX Loops are for modulation pedals, and my Boss Phase Shifter sucks in the FX Loop, however my EH Mini Q-Tron and Boss Dynamic Filter are perfect in the FX loop). 3 channels - clean, crunch and lead. EQ for clean channel, and shared between crunch and lead (isn't a problem if you actually know how to use EQ properly). Obviously there are tonnes more features but like I said, find them on Marshall's site. // 10

Sound: My main guitars an Epiphone SG Custom which, by the way, is beautiful. It can do any style and has Gib humbuckers so isn't a cheap peice of crap. To be honest I have no decent guitars with single coils so not sure how they'd react with this fantastical amp. This amp can do any style littlerally and not "just do it," it does everything fucking well. Clean channels is so f--king sparkley with reverb you'll think Marshall have hidden a chorus pedal inside. Crunch is perfect for building up to that perfect solo or just for a bluesy tube-driven OD sound, and as for the lead channel perfect for rock, hard rock, and yes, metal. The gain this amp can achieve when cranked is inhuman. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a Marshall. Obviously it's all tube so you can't drop it (damn what a surprise!) Previous owner gave this amp plenty of love so it's totally mint so far it's 6 months old and is running A-okay. Guess I might have to change the tubes soon (I use on a daily bassis). // 10

Overall Impression: I'll keep this short and sweet. I wanted an all tube combo or half stack to use for gigs/normal band practice/recording. I play rock/alternative/punk rock/mental/anything really and I've been playing for just over 2 year (I got good real fast due to endless practice). This amp will do it all. I was tempted to go for the DSL head but the TSL has way more gain, and also an extra channel so no competition. On reading reviews I read quite a bit that this amp is useless for metal - get a Mesa Boogie etc. This is total crap. This amp can play any style like with any other amp bring the mids down on the lead channel for metal. This amp is beautiful no question about it. If you tried it out and like it, don't think twice, just buy it. I don't know how you could lose an Amp head this size but if it were stolen I'd buy the same one without thinking. I think compared to this the 100 watt all tube TSL head sucks, as you have to crank it so much to get that beautiful tube distortion or even just a decent sound. What more could this amp need? I'll answer my own question there, nothing. // 10

JCM2000 TSL60 Head Reviewed by: selloutpunx, on november 04, 2005

Features: 60 Watt all tube head. 3 Channels (clean, crunch, lead), effects loop, reverb (seperate controls for clean & OD) seperate EQ for clean & overdrive channels. I play pop punk/skate punk and this amp is perfect for me. It's easily loud enough to gig with. I keep the volume around 7 to stay overtop of the drums & bass (I've got a hard hitting drummer). I decided to save myself a few hundred dollars and buy this over the TSL100. 60 Watts is more than enough power, and I can get by with only two EQ controls. There is a five button footswitch. One switch for each channel, one for the FX loop and one for reverb. // 9

Sound: I play a Fender MIM telecaster. It has been customized with an original 1979 Gibson Dirty Fingers humbucker in the bridge position and a Schaller Gold 50 in the neck position. The bridge pickup is perfect for playing anything punk rock, whether it be pop, skate or so-cal. The Dirty Fingers gives off an amazing sound through this head. The TSL runs absolutely quiet on all channels with the exception of the lead channel when I'm using the Dirty Fingers. It tends to feedback a fair amount if I am closer than 10 feet from the cabinet. I play through a Marshall 1960A JCM900 series cabinet. The clean sound from this amp is incredible. It stays crystal clean and is the best I've heard from any Marshall head that I've played. There is a seperate gain control to give it more of a bluesy or ska feel. There isn't much you can't get out of this head. The crunch channel is definitely the best feature of the TSL however. It gets the most use from me, I only switch to the lead channel when I am playing a riff that I want heard loud and clear over the rest of the band. Metal heads may not be completely satisfied with the gain, but it's got what you'd typically expect from Marshall. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Haven't had any problems with it so far. I haven't gigged with it at all yet. It's just been moved around from home to rehersal. It's a tube head, so you gotta treat her nice. A lot of people report problems with the footswitch over time, so be sure you got a good deal on a used one or a good warranty with a new one. They run about $150 to replace. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this head is everything I expected it to be. No more, no less. I'm relatively new to the world of electric guitars, only playing for three years, however I have several years previous experience playing bass, and I put a lot of time and research into this product before putting my money into it. It sounds better than anything else I've played, and you can't go wrong with it for the price range it's in and the features you get. If it were stolen I would probably shell out the extra $200-300 for the TSL100 as the insurance company would cover the rest. However, if it is not I will be playing this for the rest of my life. // 9

JCM2000 TSL60 Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 14, 2006

Purchased from: Martin Stand Guitars

Features: I got what I paid for in this amp. I highly recomend this amp for Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen and almost anything else. This is a great tube amp it has a nice warm sound mine has JT650X tube in it this is probably the best tube they make. // 10

Sound: I have mainly been using DiMazario double whammy humbuckers on my '70s Charvette. I mostly play Eddie which is great for this product. I mainly set the tone all the way up to 10. This amp has a distinct Marshall reverb sound which I love. The clean and drive channels are the best in its class the distorted sounds range from crunchy flitered or soft and silky clean chanels. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp has been used in any gig I can gather up. When I first got this amp I had to change the tubes imediately because when I first plugged into it the amp sounded horid, so I changed the stock tubes to the JT650X which is recommened the best. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is a great match for Eddie Van Halen or Hendrix which is mostly what I play. I have been playing for 25 years and the guitar that was handed to me from my dad was a '70s Charvette before he had died. If this item was lost or stolen I'd probably give up my life to find it. The thing I love about this guitar is its tone and the money I've put into it is tremendous. // 10

JCM2000 TSL60 Head Reviewed by: sHieZaN, on july 14, 2006

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I think this amp was made around 2001, but was still in great shape except for the tubes when I got it. This amp is very versitile. It can handle most genres with its 3 channels. I think it has 2 effects loops. I use the lead and clean channel the most, because the crunch isn't really that great. I don't know how this amp sounds with stock svetlanas, because I have JJ E34l's and JJ E83303 I think in there. Anyways this amp is loud! Don't underestimate 60 watts of tube power. // 9

Sound: I use a Fender American Deluxe H/S/S strat, and with the bridge I can get metal to classic rock to blues just by switching around the gain. The Lead channel is very very good, but it barely has enough gain for some metal, probably because the JJ's, but it's good enough. If I turn the gain to about 6, I can get the Vintage Marshall tones. The clean channel is very good. Through my strat I can get hendrix really good. It is kinda bluesy, so some people might not like it. The only channel I dont like is the crunch. It feels like a washed down version of the Lead, and is nowhere near as sharp, but I can get clapton tones with it through my strat. Overall, the amp is alittle noisy, but I dont have a problem with it. The thing is that this amp is kind of good at every genre, but is not a master of any. Also, the reverb rocks. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As for reliability, it never broke on me. I would gig without a backup because it is reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is a really balanced amp. It can handle all the tones you want really well, but if you really are just going for brutal distortion, look somewhere else. If you want the 'actual' Vintage Marshall roar, get a Vintage amp. Just remember that this amp compromises versatility for quality. // 9

JCM2000 TSL60 Head Reviewed by: ierostyle, on may 16, 2008

Purchased from: Local music shop (2nd hand)

Features: I think the amp was made in 2002 or it was definately produced around that period of time, I have checked all the codes I could find on everything that looked as if it may give me a clue to try and work out when it was made. I'm quite a versatile player but I generally rather rhythmic but play solo's as well. the music I like to belt out ranges from Guns N Roses to My Chemical Romance, to A7x, but play acoustic parts and lead parts to a variety of different stuff, the stuff my band plays obviously is important in the type of amp I need, I need nice crisp clean tones. I have complete Faith in this amp for any genre I feel that is a very important statement in my review. It's a 3 channel amp with bucket loads of tone, the foot pedal that comes with it is great spot on for what you want but you have got to be aware of the slight lag between the channel switching using the foot pedal, but if you take it into account everything is fine on that front, it's an insignificant floor in the amp that yes really is important to be rectified from Marshalls point of view but if your aware of the floor. It's a complete tube amp modern design amplifier. with your 3 channels clean, crunch and lead // 9

Sound: I use an Epiphone SG G400 at current with stock pickups, it's a suprisingly good guitar but it does suffer the typical SG neck heavyness. Yes it can be fairly noisy on the lead channel but most decent amps can be, I'm sure you'll all be aware that nearly everyone will Switch back to clean when they aren't playing. The cleans are superior to everything I have come across so natural and sparkly really wonderful! The crunch is very circa 1980-90 if you get the right setup a great channel, and most importantly has it's own volume and gain controls but shares an eq with the lead channel, if you want to use both crunch and lead a lot you do have to find an eq setting that's good for both. Lead is where it's at with this amp, with the gain knob just half way you can be hitting all the heavy riffs you want, lay the distortion on thicker and the tone and warmth stay, unlike most it doesn't get over saturated at any point, it really is superb I highly recomend this to anyone out there considering one // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have this second hand so customer support from Marshall I don't know much about never dealt with them, however my local music shop will take this for me and check problems for me, they are good to me! I have Faith in this amp and yes I will be gigging without a backup, if I could afford backup yes I would take back up but I can't cause I just spent all my free cash on this beast! I can't complain at all so I have to give it 10. // 10

Overall Impression: Fantastic, i would recomend this to anyone from blues to heavy metal, yes If I had this stolen I would get another or maybe a tsl 100, It's a great amp the only problem is the slight dealy you may get on the foot pedal. This is the best amp I have used and would like to keep using for a very long time. // 10

JCM2000 TSL60 Head Reviewed by: DSchmitty, on august 22, 2008

Price paid: C$ 2600

Purchased from: L. A. Music

Features: This amp is all tube, three channels which are Clean, Crunch, and Lead, all switchable on the 5 button foot Switch, which all features reverb and fx loob toggles, it also includes emulated line out, and an fx mix control. For tubes, this amp comes with 4 ECC83s in the preamp, and 2 EL34s in the power amp. I use this amp to gig and for bedroom practice, although it is very loud, you can get a decent distortion without having to go to loud, but of course the cranked distortion is a lot better. For gigs this amp has more then enough power, without a P A system, I don't even go past 7-8, so it works fine, and that is even to loud. The only thing it's missing is a separate EQ between lead and crunch, but you will probably only end up using the lead the most anyways. // 9

Sound: I play this amp with a Jackson SLSMG Soloist with Duncan 59s, Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s, and Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59 in the bridge and stock in the neck. The Music style I play ranges a lot, I play Jazz in a band, and thrash metal in another and this amp ranges very well for both of those, I barely have to use pedals, well mainly because I prefer not to, but because also I don't need to, this amp has a dream Marshall tone. The cleans are prestine clear, and with some eqing can range from mid cutting sharp high tones to warm jazz low tones, with a boost of the gain (or cut the gain on the crunch channel) you can also get a nice blues tone easily, the cleans are THAT good. For the crunch, let me say the overall distortion on this amp is amazing, the bottom end is there which most Marhsall amps, or any amps for that matter, are missing. This amp has a big bottom end kick, but with some eqing you can take that out as well. Back to the crunch, this channel isn't to heavy, personally I would only use it for a slightly overdrive blues tone, or a classic rock tone, but the lead channel is where it's at, it has a lot of gain, especially for a Marshall, over course you cannot compare it to a Splawn, or an Engl, or a Krank, etc, because those amps are designed specifically for ultra gain, but this amp handles gain well, in my band we play Megadeth, Metallica, Dream Theater, etc. It does them all really well, but when you get into those really heavy metal bands, you will probably need a good distortion pedal to get those ultra-brutal tones, but this amp handles the normal heavy brutal tones. Let me just note that the lead tone is amazing, truly tonal heavy from a lead guitarists perspective, and very versatile. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't need a back up with this amp, it's built solid, I've owned it for quite a bit of months, and I've never had a single problem with it yet and I'm happy about that, I've never even had any minor problems, except for the odd bad interference or fuzz, but that's a problem in my pedal chain, or crappy cables, etc. I have not gone through the stock tubes yet. // 9

Overall Impression: I use this for Jazz, Thrash metal, 80s metal, rock, and classic rock, it fits perfect and is very versatile for them all, I would definitely recommend it. I've been playing for 8 years and this amp is one of the best I've owned, other then a Diezel I owned a couple years back, I don't regret buying this amp at all, I love it, if it was stolen or lost I would most likely replace it, but that all depends on my budget, If I had more money I would go with a more expensive amp most likely. I love it because of it's great tone and versatility, that's where the amp shines, especially the lead and the cleans. This amp is perfect as it is, except, this is a minor thing, a separate EQ for the crunch and the lead. // 10

JCM2000 TSL60 Head Reviewed by: Vammen, on march 12, 2010

Purchased from: The Blue Newspaper - Danish secondhand website

Features: Tube amp with three channels. Clean, Crunch and Lead. 4 ECC83s in the preamp, and 2 EL34s in the power amp. I play metal and in this review I will focus on how this amp fits in this genre. Yes, I know it's not a "Metal amp," but anyway, I thought someone might want to know if they could use this amp for metal too. // 9

Sound: I'm using an Ibanez rg321ex with a Seymour Duncan Passive "Dimebucker" in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan Passive "Invader" in the neck. I play metal, Black metal and Deathcore, and this amp is a Marshall which means it's not exactly a "death metal amp," but I think if you want to stick with Marshall and you play metal, this amp is a great amp, because it has a lead channel with lots of gain, and the tubes are making a nice and "chunky" sound. But I would not recommend getting a Marshall, if you play extreme metal genres, because IMO it's mainly made for the classic rock genre.Which it's perfect for. When you play metal with hi-gain settings, the distortion gets kind of blurry, and if you can't live with that you'll have to get an ENGL, Mesa Boogie, you name it. I can't give it a low rating, because this amp keeps it promises. It has great tube-sound, and the distortion goes pretty far besides metal. You can play everything like blues, rock, punk, 80's metal, but you won't get much further than that with a Marshall. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a tube amp so of course you'll have to be careful throwing it from 3rd floor, but it's a Marshall, and Marshall are known for building their amps pretty solid and reliable, so I don't worry too much about it. I've had some troubles with the reverb knob on the footswitch, and the footswitch is in general rather sucky, cause it has a delay for about half a second before the channel switches, which is pretty fatal when you gig. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for 7 years now, for the last 2 years I haven't played much besides metal, if my Marshall were stolen, I would probably build a rack with some Engl preamp to get a better hi-gain distortion. Beside the muddy hi-gain and channel-switch delay I can't really say anything bad about this amp. Buy it if you play anything but extreme-metal. // 9

JCM2000 TSL60 Head Reviewed by: wyldeshredder, on july 09, 2010

Features: 3 Channel, 60 watts of EL34 power. Independent 3band EQ for the clean channel, shared EQ for both gain channels. Master volume, master presence, reverb controls. 4,8, and 16 ohm outs. 5 button footswitch (3 channels, 'verb, and fx loop). FX loop also has a level control. Lots of control, though the shared EQ for the gain channels was a really poor idea. Deep switch, and mid boost-type Switch. // 7

Sound: Clean Channel; Better than most people imply. Warm sounding, but can get ice picky depending on how its dialed. Not really a full sounding clean. But it was nice, totally use-able. Stays clean for a long time. OD1 (Believe its actually called RHY2. Do not own the amp anymore, hard to remember): Far and away the weakest channel. I find the voicing is terrible, considering it shares EQ with the lead. It is VERY dark in comparison, making it useless for mid gain. It has no definition, no spark, no cut. My solution was to try to use this for my high gain channel, while using the lead channel as a mid-gain channel. This channel CAN pull of some nice higher gain sounds. Cannot really do metal though. I got away with metallica/megadeth style music, though I had less gain than I would have liked. I find this channel smoother and less grainy than the lead, which was kind of nice for the high gain. All in all, I found it a compromise. Lead-Loads of gain, which essentially just turns fizzy after about 2/3 of the way up. Bright in comparison to RHY2, grainy sounding distortion. I found it always hard to find a nice balance between high end cut and thump. Sounds great with the mids cranked, and the mid-switch set for more mids. Balancing the treble/presence control was always wierd. I found the presence had to be really low, to have any treble without having a fizz-fest. Or vice verse. All in all, it was fairly muddy and fizzy. Mids HAVE to be wide open to get some definition, due to the treble/presence being low to battle the top end. Really hard to dial it back to get mid-gain sounds. Even with the right gain setting, they still sucked pretty bad. That being said, it is a GOOD channel. I was never in a situation where it sounded bad. Certainly destroys all the solid state Marshall gear. Quite versatile in general, though the gain was never quite right for me. I've switched to a Boogie Mark IV, and the Marshall is pale in comparison. Considering it was half the price though, that's expected. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I always gigged without a backup. It never let me down. I never worried about it, it had plenty of volume. I kept tubes fairly fresh, but never used super high end stuff. Svetlanas and Sovteks. I would have no problem using one again, considering the price and the dependability. My boogie has blown 2 tubes since I bought it, and I always kind of worry about it. No such case with this marshall. // 10

Overall Impression: I tried to play everything with this amp, blues, jazz, metal etc. It's best aspect would be the high gain, as well as the cleans. Mid gain really stank. Too dark on RHY2, and just plain bad on the lead. If RHY2 had its own controls, I could see it working out but Marshall really messed it up by making it shared. The amp lasted me 3 years, and I ended up re-selling for more than I paid for (considering it did keep it in excellent condition). All in all, a very good amp. Not excellent. I would take it over any Fender(bleh, overdrive..), Bugera, Peavey(keeping in mind I need cleans) etc.. // 7

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ DSL40C 9 Guitar Amplifiers 07/28/2014