JCM800 4210 Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 09/30/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: JCM800 4210
This is a combo version of the 2205 head. The channel switching is essentially the same, except that it is done with discrete ransistors instead of with the CA3046 transistor array.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 8.3
 7.6
reviews (3) 3 comments vote for this gear:
JCM800 4210 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 17, 2004

Features: You know, I wouldn't really expect a whole lot of features from an older amplifier, but it has pretty much all the features you'll ever really need. Sure, you're not going to find any kind of built in digital effects, but it has an effects loop jack, a master volume knob, and 2 footswitchable channels (Footswitchable channels became more common in models starting in the mid 80's, so my guess is that this amp could have been made anywhere between 1984 and 1990. Honestly, I'm not sure when though). There are also seperate EQ knobs for each channel. The clean channel lacks a mid EQ knob, but it still sounds good anyway. And as fun as built in DFX are, you don't really need. You'll probably get better quality from effect pedals or effect boards anyway. I mainly play in the garage with bandmates or my bedroom. The speaker in the amp isn't built to take full advantage of the amp's power(16 omhs), but 50 watts of tube power is plenty for most situations, even if you play really loud music like metal or punk. // 10

Sound: The sound is definently the biggest factor that lead to me buying this amp. My main musical style is metal, and I play a Gibson Explorer through it. It offers a very versatile range of sounds, which I like. Really, this amp offers anything from great, warm cleans to bone crushing metal distortion. Crank the clean channel volume and you'll get a nice, natural overdriven crunch. The disortion on the amp is awesome, but is best suited to 80's metal/rock, such as Megadeth, Van Halen and Iron Maiden. If you want that classic 80's Marshall tone, get a JCM800! This is the amp for that sound! And nothing beats a tube amp for good distortion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. It's not even that big, but it weighs about 50 lbs or so. I would still be careful with it, as there are fragile objects like the tubes inside, but other than that, it's definently built to be taken around. The speaker in this amp is 16 ohms, which is rather high, so I would probably have to mic the amp, get a new speaker for it, or hook it up to a cab operating at lower omhs to gig w/it. Tubes will last for awhile (recommended that you change power tubes every 2 years or so), but it depends on how much you crank it. // 10

Overall Impression: Many consider the JCM800 one of the best amplifiers for playing metal music. As for my personal opinion, I think this is very true as far as playing 80's metal goes. It's not really the right sound for something like nu-metal. But I'm definently more of a classic metal guy anyway, and many artists I like have either used or still use a JCM800. I've been playing for almost 2 and a half years, and decided to save up for a tube amp. I tried many amps, including Peavey and Mesa/Boogie models, but ended up coming back to the Marshall (Mesa is awesome too, but far too much money for me) As awesome as this amp is, there have been a few problems I've encountered w/it. However, I receieved great service and help with it. Turns out it needed new power tubes and I took it back to the shop, but they fixed it (put in new tubes) for free, and even gave me a loaner amp to use while it was being serviced. My only gripe with this amp is that the speaker in it is 16 omhs, which prevents the amp from getting anywhere near as loud as it's truly capable of. This can easily be fixed however, with the addition of a 4x12 cab or a new speaker. Overall, I'm satisfied though. If you going to buy an old tube amp, be prepared to have it serviced and/or fixed up if you want optimal performace from it. Despite these drawbacks, it IS worth it though. As much as I like the newer Marshalls, especially the DSL series, the JCM800 blows them all away IMO. You may end up going through a little trouble, but you'll end up with a killer amp! You'll also end up spending quite a bit less money than a brand new Marshall tube amp. // 8

JCM800 4210 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 11, 2006

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: This amp may not be loaded with the features of todays Marshalls such as the DFX, but when you get right down to it, you don't really need those. This is actually the JCM 800 lead series 2x12 50 watt combo with two channels, unlike most 800s. This amp runs on all tube power, and was made in the late 80s. It still has it's original celstions, but the tubes were replaced with JJ tubes. The clean channel has a treble and a bass control and the boost channel contains a gain knob, a boost knob, and the standard treble/mid/bass knobs. It also has master volume, presence and spring reverb control. There is also an effects loop with a knob that controls how much of the effect is present. This amp is 50 watts but it is a loud 50 watts. // 9

Sound: I run an Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul with passive EMGs. I play classic rock and metal so this amp suits me perfectly. This amp is perfect for getting that eddie Van Halen sound. This amp is very brown sounding when distorted, and has a ton of low end, especially at higher volumes. To fully enjoy this amp, you need to turn it up pretty loud. With the boost and the gain all the way up, turning the master volume to just 1 will be plenty loud enough. The clean channel is very rich and warm as well. This amp is perfect for classic rock and metal, but if you want to play nu metal, black metal, or death metal, you're going to need a Boss metal zone or something like that. The distortion is very warm and bright, with lots of low in. The clean channel does not get distorted with the channel volume low and master volume high, but with the channel volume at ten you can get a very natural distortion sound. This amp sounds so good, you might think God himself is talking to you. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Since is a tube amp made by Marshall, it's reliability and durability are second to none. This amp was made in the late '80s and it's still stingin. All you need to do with this amp is replace the tubes every couple of years and you're in good shape. I'd gig with it without a backup because that's just how dependable it is. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, so this amp is perfect for me. I've been playing for a couple years now and I must say, this is the best amp I've heard so far. If this amp were stolen, I'd buy this exact model to replace it. I love the warm distorted sound this amp makes. I chose this amp mainly because of it's high gain and the reputation the JCM800 has. // 9

JCM800 4210 Reviewed by: GuitarGetsMeSex, on september 30, 2009

Purchased from: Internet

Features: I think this is made 1981 or some time in the 80's 100watt is SOOO much power for a bedroom lol. I keep the volumes on 1 or 2 for the channels and 0.5 for the master. It has... DI Reverb Presence Effects loop Lead (3 band eq Clean (2 band eq) Changing channels does require a footswitch, and was $50NZD for that. // 8

Sound: My gear... Les Paul Copy with Seymour Duncan Alnico IIs>Marshall Guv'nor2>Vox V847>This Amp This amp is quite nice I must say. Good old tube power. I play mainly Led Zep style blues rock, and hardcore/metal/80's shred and this amp does fit the bill well. No bone crushing distortion on low volumes but when you crank it up and mix in a good amount of gain you can get real nice feedback whan you want it sliding into huge sustained note. The clean channel is less clean than overdrive at full volumes, but in a nice way // 9

Reliability & Durability: It had a few issues when I brought it, the reverb was turning into feedback when turned up all the way (sounds too spacey turned up all the way anyway, unless you're going for that sound, might be nice with some delay) but I fixed this issue by loosing the screws on the reverb pan and the wood it was screwed to. Does overheat, a good fan behind it and the top strip of wood protecting the valves removed helps cooling it back down again when it's hot. I also remove the pre amp tube metal jackets as this is supposed to reduce amp heat. Also when I got it one of the pre valves needed replacing. Still does lol // 6

Overall Impression: It's a Marshall and people love that. I really like the sound it makes for the styles I play. If it was stolen I would get the same one again if my insurance company paid out enough to get a new one lol. My favourite feature is the colour. The brown on gold on white on black looks cream. Cream in my pants that is. I was going to get a tube amp 100watt and it was gonna be a valveking 212 but this was cheaper and so much better. I do wish it has noise gate, and maybe higher gain, but it does not need them. BTW it's soo effin heavy, you so need a roadie for this 35kg beast // 9

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ DSL40C 9 Guitar Amplifiers 08/01/2014