JCM900 4100 Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 08/21/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: JCM900 4100
Its has 2 Channels and the channels can be switched with a button on the front of the amp, or by a footswitch.
 Features: 9.5
 9.2
 9.7
 8.7
reviews (2) pictures (2) 12 comments vote for this gear:
JCM900 4100 Reviewed by: SeanX3187, on august 21, 2009

Purchased from: Friend

Features: This head was made in 1993 at the Marshall factory in the UK. I play punk and ska for the most part, and this head is perfect for it IMO. Its has 2 Channels (Channel A-Clean/Channel B-Overdrive) and the channels can be switched with a button on the front of the amp, or by a footswitch. It has an FX loop with an effects level knob in back. It doesn't have a headphone jack, but it does have a direct out and a recording compensated out. I wish it had a headphone jack because sometimes it's nice to have one. There are no features on this amp that I don't use. I use this amp everywhere from my room, to practice, to live shows, and although it's a bit loud for my room, it's incredible for shows and practice. It's a dual reverb head (seperate reverb for both channels) which is nice to have. It's all tube (4 power amp, 3 preamp tubes), and it has a hi/low power Switch to go from 100w to 50w (good for bedroom and practice settings). It also has a 16ohm to 8ohm Switch to match cabinets better. // 10

Sound: I'm mostly using a Gibson SG Special, but will occasionally use other guitars (Squier tele, Epiphone les paul, Fender strat) and every guitar I play through it sounds amazing. It's a high gain amp, but not as ridiculous as today's high gain amps, so to me, at full gain, it's not very gain-y, but just perfect. I don't have the gain much above 3/4 of the way for the most part anyway. The clean channel is also very good. This amp never makes any unwanted noise. You can do anything with this amp. The clean channel will distort at high volumes because it has it's own gain knob so when you get the volume high enough, it will start to break up (but if you keep the gain really low like 2 or 3 you usually won't have that problem). The distortion is crazy, but can be dialed down and get some really good crunch and basically sound perfect for every style of music. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can't afford to have a backup head, but I won't need to because this amp is dependable. It's 16 years old and still looks/sounds Brand New. I've never had any issues with it because I take care of it very well. But I'm sure if some owner neglected it, it would take quite a while for any issues to arise. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play punk and ska, and I can't think of a better amp to play that with. I've been playing guitar for several years (I never kept track) and I play this head through a Marshall 1960AV cabinet and I use a Gibson SG Special. I got really lucky when I bought this amp for suck a good price, and there's nothing more I could/should have asked about it. If it was stolen, I would have to wait forever to save up for it again, but yeah, I'd definitely buy this head again. I love everything about this head and I don't think there's a single thing I hate about it. My favorite feature has to be the recording compensated output. It makes everything so much easier. I compared it to a few other amps, and while it's no Mesa Triple Rec (ideal head) it's still better IMO than most other tube heads. // 9

JCM900 4100 Reviewed by: Jesstaa, on march 30, 2009

Price paid: A$ 1100

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: The Marshall JCM 900 4100 is a 100watt valve head featuring 2 channels (Simply named A & B), with a single 4 band equalizer, individual volume, gain and reverb controls. Has a single guitar input, a footswitch input, 2 loudspeaker outputs (Switchable between 8, 16 and 4 ohms (4 ohms in stereo)) a line out and effects loop, my amp was built in 1995. This amp uses 3 ECC83 (12AX7) preamp valves and 4 5881 (6L6) power valves valves, but can be switched to KT77's or hot grades of EL34, or average EL34s with slight modification. I play mostly thrash metal, and a bit of NWOBHM, and I love this amp to death, I found it on ebay whilst just browsing for a good deal (Was going to head off to Melbourne and buy a Bugera, but wanted to see if I could get something better). The tone from this amp is very versatile, and I could get just about any genre from it (except death metal), I find it to have a bit of an early Megadeth kind of tone when used with my guitar and cab (Cort VX-2V and Marshall 1965A cab). As you should know, this isn't an amp for low volumes, no valve Marshalls are, and not many valve amps in general are. But on 50watts (It has a wattage Switch, between 50watts and 100watts (50watts and 25watts on 50watt models)) at around 1 1/2 I can still get a nice overdriven metal tone without killing my ears. This amp could quite easily do a gig, and even a smallish one unmic'd, it's f--king loud. The EQ is responsive, but not as much as some high gain amps, but with ease you can find a nice setting for brutal overdrive/distortion, and great cleans. I do feel maybe another channel could be added with slightly different overdrive, for a little variety (That kinda crunchy tone you hear in some songs). One thing I have come across that annoys me is that in order to change the bias, you have to completely take this amp out, and access the main board, which requires confidence, experience, and a plastic screwdriver/rubber gloves or something, so you don't fry yourself with the 400volts+ plate voltage surging through this thing. Marshall should've just put a test point at the back of the amp with an easily accessible trimpot. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Cort VX-2V with EMG-HZ H4's running straight into the amp, with this, I can get an early Megadeth style overdrive (Peace Sells - Rust in Peace), a nice British overdrive, bluesy cleans, and any other old school tones, quite a versatile amp, although I do have a little bit of flatness in my tone which sometimes I can't throw off, but I feel this could be dismissed with better tubes (Currently have Sovtek power valves, and National preamp valves installed) I was surprised by just how quiet this thing was, considering I'm using an average guitar, with a shitty cable and a shitty cab in a small house, there's your little bit of background hum, but apart from that, quiet as. When on 50watts, I've been able to crank channel A (The clean(er) channel) to 10 without it distorting (With the gain on 2) which I was quite impressed with, but if the amp has been turned on for a while, and channel B is cranked up loud, you'll get a bit of distortion. But basically, the tone this amp gives off is great for thrash, NWOBHM, general oldschool metal, hard rock, blues and anything around those. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well, seeing as this is a Marshall, I believe it will last me for yonks, I've only had it for about a week so far, but it's already 13 years old (was made in 1995), and it's in perfect condition, aside from slight warping on the front plate (From extreme heat). I would definitely use this amp without a backup at a gig, especially seeing as it has some failsafe circuit, which'll apparently keep it going in the event of a valve failure (read it in the manual, never put it to the test though) All the knobs feel like they're sturdy, and wouldn't break, the handle is very strongly in place, and can support the things entire weight (Quite a lot, so don't go carting it around all the time), the only thing I'd watch out for is scratching the vinyl. // 10

Overall Impression: For my styles of music, this amp has provided a perfect match, and if I ever needed to boost it slightly, an overdrive pedal on very low settings would do the job just to push the valves a little further. Compared to the other amps I've used (Old valvestates, and an experimental rig), this is brilliant, what I've always wanted from an amp. If this was stolen or lost, I would either buy a new one, or look into a JVM410H (Just because it has more channels and separate EQ's), although I would definitely stick with Marshall. I haven't really had much of an opportunity to compare this amp with over valve amps, but if there are many out there better than this, then wow. They must be good. This amp is a full valve 100watt head, made by Marshall with 2 channels, sharing an EQ, but with individual gain, reverb and volume controls, it has an effects loop and line out, 2 loudspeaker outputs with switchable ohm's, and a 50/100watt Switch. This amp is a beast pumping out craploads of oldschool metal heaven. // 10

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ MG30CFX 9.9 Guitar Amplifiers 12/02/2014