JVM410C Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 01/26/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: JVM410C
It features four independent, footswitchable channels (Clean, Crunch, OD1 & OD2) with three footswitchable Modes per channel, yielding a total of 12 different 'amps.'
 8.6
 9.4
 7.8
reviews (3) 79 comments vote for this gear:
JVM410C Reviewed by: jafman, on february 21, 2007

Price paid: $ 2013

Purchased from: Soundcontrol

Features: The amp was made towards the end of 2006/early 2007. Marshall's new flagship amp and probably most versatile to date. Features 4 channels, each with 3 different modes which basically means you have 12 channels! Channel switching is a breeze with the programmable footswitch. 100w of all tube power (5xECC83, 4xEL34) means there's more power than I'd probably ever need. The reverb control for each channel is a great feature, as is the ability to store whatever settings you like in the 6 channel footswitch. I could go on and on about the features but that would take ages so check out the Marshall website if you're interested. Definitely a 10 for features! // 10

Sound: I play through my LP standard and the sound is incredible, I reckon this amp could make virtually any guitar sound good though! I play mainly rock, metal and a bit of blues. Amp has no problems with any of these. The clean channel on it's lowest (green) gain setting is brilliant! Probably one of the best clean sounds Marshall has ever produced. The amps second channel is the crunch channel which is very similar to a plexi. OD1 Is where I'm most comfortable, classic Marshall hard rock tones! Think of Angus strumming out 'back in black' and this is where you want to be!! As you go the to other 2 gain (Orange & red) modes in the OD1 channel you start getting into some great metal tones: think Metallica, Pantera. Finally try OD2 and you're into some seriously high gain stuff here! Enough to please any nu-metal/death metal head. There are so many great sounds in this amp that it had to have a 10! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Only had it a couple of weeks, I'm one of the first people to own it as it has only been released in very limited supply until the end of next month I think! Stoked. Looks as durable as any other Marshall of similar size. Will hopefully prove to be dependable. Don't really like the little plastic mode/channel selection buttons on the front panel, they seem a little bit small and delicate to me. Suppose it doesn't matter anyway, the footswitch does everything for you! Can't really rate it yet I'm afraid. But I'll put a 10 as I can't submit this review without entering something! // 10

Overall Impression: Perfect for the music I play, with the ability to adapt to most styles thanks to the 12 modes. Definitely would replace it as it's got huge sound and great tones and is compact enough to transport (although it does weigh 35kg). Favourite feature, the programmable pedal. For value for money, tones and features this will be a hard amp to top. A classic combination: a Marshall valve and a Gibson LP, what more needs to be said! // 10

JVM410C Reviewed by: gboyz78, on july 27, 2007

Features: Here we go. It's made in 07. I've had this amp for 2 months now. I actually own the head (JVM-410H) paired up to a 1960A (4x12). 4 main channels, with 3 gain settings on each, plus 2 volume controls on each channel. Add them up, 24 channels. The foot pedal is programmable to control each volume, reverb, effects through the loop for each of the main 4 channels. You can also hook up a midi and program the foot pedal to control your rack mount effects through the loop. Great feature, even thought I don't own rack effects. For the versatility and price, you can't beat it. // 10

Sound: Brown tone, Satch and Vai leads, thrash metal. You have it, except for that nu metal sound. I put a Boss GE-7 through the loop, good enough to satisfy the metal heads out there. Also, that clean GREEN channel tone is amazing, I fell in love with it. So crisp and clear. I mainly use a Fender 50th Anniversary American Strat for blues and clean tone and a Prestige Ibanez RG2550E for those soaring leads and chug, chug sound. A few issues. It's a little noisy using the RED channels (high gain). I've eliminated most of the noise by using good cables, yet a noise gate is the ultimate solution. It's a high gain amp. What do you expect from it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had it almost 2 months now. No major issues so far. I did find 2 pots that were scratchy. I used some electronic cleaner to fix the problem. As far as the Marshall Brand, no problems throughout the years. Tubes are tubes. They will have to replaced down the road. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 15 years and I just wanted to upgrade. I was reading the comments so I decided to add this. I own a MG100DFX. The amp is great for what it is, but it isn't a tube amp. Marshall or not. Harmonics, tapping, sustains, etc. are easier to achieve on great amps. You will sound and play better on great tube amps. I looked at Mesa's Dual Rects, Peavey 6505 and Soldano. My friend owns the Mesa Dual Rectifirer, so I am fully aware of what it can do. That thing is a beast, heavy and dark. Like what I said. Every amp is different. We all have different tastes. I chose the JVM for it's versatility and price. I don't have the money to spend on 4 amps to dial in all the tones out there. The JVM gave me the clean tone that I've been looking for and gain to play my leads. I hope my review helps. // 9

JVM410C Reviewed by: gibbfg, on january 26, 2009

Purchased from: Bairds Sound System Belfast

Features: Everybody has already outlined the features so I'll do no more than say that they exceeded my expectations. Having played a Peavey transtube for a few years I wanted to upgrade so researched Marshall amps as I realy wanted a Marshall, and having tried some in the shops I chose this one and haven't regretted it. Far as I can gather it's a 2008, maybe 07. I got it for this price as it had been bought and used for about a week by a reliable customer Who found he just didn't have a need for it. Features are fantastic and I can easily find light rock tones which suit my band and also heavier g'n'r/ Muse kind of tones for playing about in the house. silent recording feature was great for work in the recording studio. excellent // 10

Sound: I'm using a Gibson BFG with all the standard pickups etc and also a PRS Santana SE2. Limited use of pedals, but I sometimes use a Boss ME-50 for mod effects like delays and flangers etc. Sounds great at bedroom volumes and at practice volume too. Suits any style I play, and I really love the clean on it along with the od sounds. Currently have it set up with clean green, crunch and od1 Orange, and od2 green. and these provide a great range of tones which work well together with smooth switching. however haven't realy fully cranked it. never needed it above 4or so.. 100watts is a lot of power. // 9

Reliability & Durability: yes I would gig it without a back up. I've had it a few months now and haven't had a single problem. I've heard there are reliability issuses, but these have improved in recent years. it's a heavy bugger and I'd say it could take a beating, the valves are well protected and are apparantly not too difficult to replace, but I've little experience of replacing valves. // 8

Overall Impression: Love it. Been playing over 10 years and is easily the best amp I've ever played through with the widest variety of sounds. In the shop I was also testing a messa 50:50 which I really loved, but I opted for the Marshall and don't regret it. The band love the sound and our other guitarist used my gear more than his own when we recorded our latest few tracks. I would be raging if this was stolen, but any thief wouldn't get far because it's heavy as hell. would certainly buy another one // 10

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ MG30CFX 9.9 Guitar Amplifiers 12/02/2014