JVM410H Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 06/18/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: JVM410H
In a nutshell, the Marshall all-valve, 4-channel JVM410H 100-Watt tube head is the most versatile Marshall amplifier ever made. It also boasts more gain than any other Marshall to date-and that's really saying something!
 Reliability & Durability: 5.9
 Features: 9.3
 8.5
 7.7
 9.3
reviews (7) pictures (1) 64 comments vote for this gear:
JVM410H Reviewed by: goldie87, on december 05, 2007

Features: This amp was made this year 2007! I bought this amp without any intensions to at all. I was buying some new guitars for tour and just started talkin about amps with the dude at the counter and he insisted I try the JVM410H I never heard of it at the time but had a go and absolutley loved it. This amp is buy far the best Marshall I have ever played. It has a effects loop. Not sure about a headphone jack (why would you wanna plug headphones into a head) the only thing it is missing is a noise gate. I would love a noise gate. The amp has loads of power. I just finished a one month tour of australia and this amp was right behind me everynight pumpin put that great Marshall tone. I play several styles of music from metal right though to nice clean interludes and melow overdriven rock. I just toured with this amp playing mostly alternitive rock (think smashing pumpkins sound) it has actually replaced my Mesa Boogie triple recitifer. Far better at that sound than the Mesa. // 9

Sound: All my guitars are Fender Strats with different pickups. Seymour Duncan Invader humbuckers, DiMarzio single coils and humbuckers but the Strat that I use the most has the DiMarzio Hot Rail single coils (can't remember the model number of my head). It tends to give a little feedback on the od2 channel when not playing. On all my guitars. I am gonna change the pre amp valves which should stop it. This is the only Marshall with this much variety. From the cleanest cleans to the most brutal metal sounds and everything in between this amp owns all. I didn't use my mesa at all last tour. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Only had it for one month so I can't say for reliability but I always gig with backups ur just stupid if you don't. I tok my mesa triple rec and Marshall DSL100 with me but they where never even turned on. Rating this 5 casue I don't have a opinion as I have only had it for a month. // 5

Overall Impression: This thing rocks and rocks hard. If you are thinking of buying a high end amp buy this bad boy and you wont be dissapointed. If it was stolen I would probally buy a new one for sure I'm in love. It's great for my style of musicm, so versitile. I am running this head into 2 Marshall modern vintage cabs with the greenback vintage speakers amazing sound. There is nothing like hittin a note while standin in front of a cranked up stack and feelin every bone in your body vibrate. // 10

JVM410H Reviewed by: Weybl Himself, on january 27, 2009

Price paid: A$ 3000

Purchased from: Cranbourne Music

Features: This is one feature packed machine. As their new flagship amp, Marshall have really pulled out all the stops and built this amp with a similar mentality to the features of The Hughes & Kettner TriAmp. 4 channels, each with independent EQ, volume and gain controls run through separate, footswitchable master volumes driven by 4 ECC83 valves in the pramp, and one ECC83 and 4 EL34 power amp valves. Each channel is also equipped with three separate gain 'modes', green, Orange and red, with each one actually reconfigures the gain structure of the channel to offer gradually increasing levels of gain. Also included is an individual reverb level control for each channel which is also footswitchable. The amp also comes with a 6 button footswitch which can operate in it's standard switching mode, or in preset mode which allows you to store 6 different sets of control settings including channel, gain mode, reverb on/off, master volume 1/2. The amp is also MIDI programmable with the capability to have 128 presets saved for recall via a MIDI controller. It also features a send style effects loop with level control and a power amp insert effects loop along with the usual outputs for all types of cabs. // 9

Sound: In my personal opinion, this amp is the finest amp Marshall have built since the JCM800. The cleans stay clean, which is a nice change from the JCM2000 series and it ramps up from there to a completely experimental level of gain. I'm running my Les Paul Custom into this with come toys in the effects loop and it delivers exactly the sound I was looking for. Sparkling cleans, dirty crunch, raunchy overdrive and ripping lead tones, everything I need from an amp. The midrange is simply magnificent, the snap and growl in the upper mids on the overdrive settings meshed beautifully with the percussive lower mids and although the top end can get a bit razory, it's easy to rein in with the channel EQs. The clean channel is reminiscent of a Vintage plexi, but with more headroom on green mode so you can wind the volume up but stay clean. Clean and crunch channels will take you from that sparkling heyday, up to a sound very similar to a JCM800 being pushed hard at the front end with a touch of power amp distortion. The 2 overdrive channels go above and beyond anything I've heard from Marshall. great modern hardcore and metal tones but the ability to dial in some nice Vintage style lead tones or even step into the future if you're creative enough. It is however, very much a Marshall in tone. The bottom end is big, but extremely tight, great for fast palm muting riffs and big chords but if you wanna chug, it's not quite loose enough. Don't expect the sort of buzzsaw grind you can get from a 5150, or the massive chug of a Mesa, Marshall amps have never been built for that. For me, the tone on this amp is exactly what I want and does everything I can imagine ever needing. I play mostly post-hardcore, hard rock and the Marshall tone is great for that. But since I'm trying to be objective, I'm giving it an 8 because this amp is not going to suit everyone's complete needs. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is the one area where my particular amp let me down unfortunately, The first gig I used it at, there was a switching problem on the overdrive channels and I had to play the whole show with just my clean and crunch channels available. This was only about 2 weeks after I bought it. To their credit though Marshall fixed it promptly and replaced the Valve PCB and since then it's worked like a dream (they even kept all the knobs in the same positions). As for gigging without a backup though, I would ideally have a backup for everything, even the amp, but it's not really practical to buy another JVM and it's just plain impractical to have a backup amp head. The problem here is, first impressions laugh, and I'm always a little on edge over whether it's going to break down again. Although I'm confident it will keep working, it's always in the back of my mind, which isn't a great thing and doesn't do the amps tone justice. So for my own personal experience, it loses marks here. // 6

Overall Impression: For the type of music I play (post-hardcore, hard rock, screamo) this amp delivers on all fronts. I've tinkered with it a lot in my own time and managed to pull some great, versatile, Vintage style tones from it. It is however, definitely geared towards ultra modern crunch and high gain tones. Which is great for someone like me Who likes thinking forward when it comes to tone, but might leave Vintage addicts a little wanting. I've been playing for 11 years and this is my 3rd valve amp (previous being a Peavey Valveking and a Peavey 5150 (borrowed)) and it's most definitely the most versatile amp I've played. It can easily go toe to toe with other feature heavy amps such as the Hughes And Kettner TriAmp and Engl Screamer or Fireball amps and edges both out in the price race, but as always, it's a matter of what gets YOU hard (or wet). Lost or stolen? If you can make it away with this 25kg beast, then you've earned it (yes, it's damn heavy). I would definitely buy it again, mostly because it's my voice, this is the amp that makes me sound like me. The JVM410H is perfect for me, but at the end of the day, the best way to know if it's right for you is to play it for yourself. // 9

JVM410H Reviewed by: Darkflame, on june 01, 2010

Features: First of all, I'd like to make something clear: I do not own this amp. However, I have used it as a main amp for a few gigs, and I thought I would review this amplifier, because none of the reviews I see her is reflecting what I thought of it. This amp is extremely versatile. It has clean, crunch and overdrive channels, and every channel has 3 modes, each with a color: green for the lightest, orange, red for the hardest (speaking of gain there). The footswitch included has 6 buttons: 4 channels (1 clean, 1 crunch, 2 overdrive presets), 1 volume boost and 1 effects loop on/off. I have used this amp at a total of 7 gigs, and it is definitely powerful enough for any gig. This is a 100w tube amp, it's definitely loud. // 10

Sound: This is where I'm going to have to differ with everyone. In theory, this is a perfect amp for anyone, it has an amazing versatility. However, the tone was definitely... Not for me. I have used this amp with a customised strat, a Gibson SG, a Fender Jaguar, an Ibanez RG... It simply doesn't work for me. The clean sounds sterile and lifeless, no matter which mode you put it on (the red clean is starting to get crunchy, yet it still sounds cold). The red crunch still isn't crunchy, even when the gain is maxed, it still sounds pretty clean; to me, this should've been the green crunch. The overdrive channels, though, were too gainy for me. Perfect for leads (though it still sounds a bit cold), but when I play rhythm riffs, I definitely want a crunchy distortion tone. All in all, I was looking for exactly the tone this amp doesn't have: a warm clean channel and a crunchy distortion. The clean, however, is cold, and the distortion is either not crunchy enough or too saturated. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I did use it without a backup all the times I've used it, and this amp has never let me down in terms of durability. However, it was not MY amp, so I can't really rate this. // 8

Overall Impression: To me, this amp is definitely overpriced. For the price of the jvm410h, you can actually get some great amps: if you want cleans, get a Fender Twin and you still have money to spare. If you want to play metal, you can get an ENGL. This amp really disappointed me, I really wanted to like it, and I had high expectations, but in the end, it really doesn't do it for me. If I had bought one, I would definitely sell it or bring it back. // 5

JVM410H Reviewed by: ThePoisoner, on june 18, 2012

Purchased from: 4Sound.dk

Features: Very versatile amp. It is perfect for my style of music, which is everything from Rock to Thrash Metal to Death Metal. The amp, has a lot of features, 4 channels with green, Orange and red mode. There is also a nice footswitch with the Amp. - And the amp has MIDI. This amp has a lot of power, I use it everywhere, it's very loud. It's a tube amp, one of the finest amps ever by Marshall. There is Clean, Crunch, Od1, Od2. The Clean channel gives you a nice warm clean sound, which satisfies the ears. The Crunch channel is a nice overdrive channel for some old school rock. Od1 is a very nice metal Channel, I use 0D1 as the main channel for the dirt sound. But Od2 is pretty good too, I like to variate it a lot. It seems like there is a little more Power in OD1, than in OD2 though. // 9

Sound: Well, currently I use an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, but soon I am going to buy a new guitar, which I already tried with the amp, and it sounds just fantastic. It suits my music style perfectly. My band Poisoner is a Death/Thrash band, and this amp is just perfect for our music. This amp can get very loud, but when the sound is on 1, it still sounds powerful. The amp can make a lot of sounds, also because of the green, Orange and red options for each channel. The clean channel is a bit distorted at high volumes, take the red mode and put gain on 10, then it sounds like overdrive. The sound of this beast is awesome! - It's the best amp I've ever Played/Owned. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, I got the amp recently. So I can't really rate this. - But I know somebody who has the same amp, and they say that this amp will last forever. // 8

Overall Impression: I swear, if this amp was stolen. I would call the insurance and the police as soon as I found out, and get a new one. I love the distortion in this amp, the OD1 is the best feature in this amp. - What I hate is that the red clean sound is a little more brutal then the crunch on red. And I also dislike that OD1 and OD2 sounds pretty much the same, but the OD1 has more power, than the OD2. They should have made the OD1 and OD2 so it was TWO DIFFERENT CHANNELS. Cause they almost sound the same, but as said OD1 with more power. // 9

JVM410H Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 16, 2008

Features: This amp as 4 channels and each channel has a different setting. green is the cleanest, Orange has more dirty and red is ridiculous. Runs on EL34s and sounds rather ok. I mean it's nothing special as far as tone goes just a lot of buttons. There are also two master settings and digital reverb. The foot Switch has everything you need to control all the channels (clean, crunch, OD1 and OD2), between the master and the reverb. While this has a lot of features it's a little over the top and you'll find yourself not using them as much as you think you would. Besides for what's it's worth you can buy multiple distortion pedals and have as many channels as this. // 9

Sound: Right now I'm using a Gibson Les Paul Studio, PRS Santana SE, G&L Legacy, and a Firebird non reverse body with three mini humbuckers. This amp sounds fine but it just doesn't have that feel. It does break up of course but you gotta prepare for a lot of sounds attacking your ears. 100watts is good but for jamming to loud so I never get the chance to crank this as other tube amps. This distortion can get pretty heavy and doesn't take much to get high gain. There are many other amps out there that sound over all better than this. That's coming from a person that plays everything from the usual blues to metal and whatever else I feel. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Reliability & durability are much of a joke when it comes to this amp. I bought it soon after its release and after a few months my OD 1 on Orange (my favorite setting fast far as distortion wise) cut out. Which meant that I could not use both OD channels for jamming with the band (one for volume boost during solos). Then later on I accidentally messed up my foot Switch. Which at the time I thought no big deal, just buy a new one. Well apparently no one has any extras to sell and I've asked multiple guitar shops to fix it but they won't touch it. So I've been out of a foot Switch since Feb 2nd (the show I blew it out at by rushing and plugging it into the power out). I've also called musicians friend to see if they had one in stock (they recommended the AVT150 footswitch, what a joke) and called Marshall and they said 1-6 months a shipment the pedals might come in It is now June 15th and lack of better terms I'm pissed. Also recently my OD1 Orange has begun working but the whole channel now has dulled in tone. For what I paid this should not happen. // 2

Overall Impression: This could of been a great amp. I mean after 4 years of playing I thought this be the one that lasts me for a while but I find myself trying to sell it. For a while though I really liked it. Great of recording which is about the only thing it's good for now a days. Since you can plug direct out with a mix cable I get a really nice quality but I can still get the same mixing it with mics that only cost 150-200 dollars. I would never buy this amp again and suggest you do not either. Look around more for other amps and just try to find audio clips of them and compare them. Right now I'm selling this to buy a Vox, a Fender and a Orange amp. I'd just rather use a amp selector instead of just hoping that this amp has no surprises for me. // 3

JVM410H Reviewed by: 6Wolf6Heart6, on may 11, 2009

Purchased from: used

Features: This amp was made in 2008. I bought it at the beginning of March, 2009 used, it was 6 months old then. It has 4 channels, with 3 modes each, comes with a 6-way programmable footswitch (though I use the factory settings), serial and parallel fx loop, emulated line out. 100-Watts, more than enough to withstand Live playing. // 9

Sound: I play a Jackson DXMG with a Seymour Duncan SH-4 in the bridge and a custom-made PAF in the neck and a Gibson Standard Explorer with stock pickups (490T and 460 I think). Before I bought this amp, I played that model through a Mesa 2x12 Stiletto cab and felt like it sounded exactly the way I wanted it to sound. It's not that it sounded better than my JCM 2000 TSL60, but it was perfect for me. Right now, I run it through a Marshall 1936 cab, and it's still great, although different. Perhaps some day I'll throw out the GT-12 75's and get Celestion Vintage speakers. If I were to describe the sound, I'd say that it's the combination of Marshall's greatest amps. The clean channel in the "green" mode is really clean, not "Marshall clean", then we have Orange mode, kinda like the JCM2000 clean channel, and then we move to a red mode, which sounds pretty much like a Vintage amp cranked up too high. The Crunch channel delivers some pretty decent tones, but the green mode on that one isn't what I was looking for. Orange and Red somewhat remind me of a classic Marshall Plexi sound if you get the controls right. The OD1 channel is the best feature of this particular amplifier. The Music I play is mostly 80's heavy metal, and it's just perfect for the job. The green mode sounds like JCM800 overdrive, the Orange mode is something like a hot-rodded JCM 800, and the red one adds another stage of gain, in the like of a JCM 900 I think. OD2 sounds quite similar, but it's more thick, the mids are scooped out a bit and we have more gain, which results in a modern, saturated hi-gain overdrive. Of course it still retains the characteristics of a British amplifier. Overall I think that it's the most versatile of all Marshall amps, it combines the characteristics of an old 70's rock amplifier with a more modern tone. The only thing which really puzzles me is - why add so much gain? The red modes of overdriven channels are extremely noisy when the gain setting is over 5, and the sound loses definition. Aside from that, it sounds lovely. I give it a 10, those Who don't like Marshall amps, probably should rate it at 7 or so. Oh, forgot about the reverb. It's really great, although it's not a spring unit. I don't hear much difference between that reverb and the spring reverb in my old JCM 2000. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it for 2 months. It looks quite reliable, but I really don't know if I can trust it. Still, the overall impression is very good. I give it a 5, only because I haven't owned it long enough. I've heard that some people had problems with faulty amps, perhaps I'm lucky to have one that's actually well made. Only time will tell, but judging from the state it's currently in, it won't probably give me any problems at all for a long time. // 5

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal, with a little touch of thrash and hard rock. I think it fits the style perfectly and I don't need anything else. I've been playing for something like 8 years and owned a JCM 2000 and a crappy practice amp. As for other gear I use - I don't really need anything fancy except a noise gate and a CryBaby. So my setup is pretty simple. I love everything about this amplifier, the only thing I think it could have, is a 7-way foot controller ('cause then you wouldn't have to choose between a reverb Switch and for instance fx loop... though I don't really need an fx loop) instead of a 6-way one. But that's just a thought. Aside from that, I couldn't think of anything else I would really want it to have. In my opinion, this amplifier is the best offer at that price. If you want something better, perhaps you could go for a Mesa (though I don't like American amps, just a suggestion). But then again - Mesa Boogies are much more expensive. // 9

JVM410H Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 14, 2011

Price paid: $ 1999.99

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Great amp and is good for versatility, it can do a lot, it features overdrive 1 and 2 and good cleans and crunch too many options, many results, different blends, possible changes and making it the sametime your own thing, this thing offers a lot of potential, people say this is standard but you need to dial it and take time. Each button features a green, Orange and red, light to mid to extreme. It has its own reverb and everything else for its own channel, it is very incredible. // 10

Sound: Good amp, plays great for leads and or rhythm, it cuts through pretty good and is fair to make it where you can decide whether to go further or not with it, this sound has too many good options, I really admire this amp it is very good even at low/high volumes, great and the sound I have no complaint with this amp, anyone who does, just put a pedal to it and make sure its what is comparable the best way to you with the JVM. This is An FX LOOP Level, you can put it 0% all the way up to 100% in the mix, so its all on your choice. Plays variety of music styles with no problem. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Construction is fair, normal and good, back up? No need this amp can do it just fine, if it acts up the channels will give you too much to offer and my only thing i gotta say is MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING WITH THIS AMP, Meaning that if you got certain buttons on it, make sure you know whats on and off, cause it can mess you up and accidently have it at a low volume with its "2 Way Master Volume" Sense and other ways around that, tricky, but strong amplifier. // 7

Overall Impression: Marshall I always feel the same for you, I'm paying for the name, but obviously your a good deal and got one of the most best re-sale values ever with people knowing no history on their books that they still would know Marshall across the border. Great amplifier, pricey though if you think about it but if you keep going with it this amp will be good and stay for days to come, if you want an amp with lots of things going on get this cause it will help you choose an easier expression on your sound, The JVM I have to say is Comparable to JCM I have tried the TSL and DSL JCM many times, even owned a DSL and I have to say this is comparable, I don't know what you guys talk about this giving more or less whatever, but this JVM is delivering the goods for Marshall and still keeping it up, the new/fresh amp of this (2010 december) when I got it, it is quite pleasing, JVM all the way, this isn't about the quantity or quality, this is now the choosing of your taste; this is one of the best you get, don't complain on amps like these or you never will be satisfied with barely any amp, do you have that much money? Then go ahead and get an extra 1k to get what you will get for life, but think about it? For life? There is many options along that road, I hope this review helped and rock on JVM! // 10

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ MG30CFX 9.9 Guitar Amplifiers 12/02/2014