MG100DFX Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 01/18/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: MG100DFX
This compact, gig-ready, 100W, 1x12 in. combo is a powerhouse of killer tone. Celestion speaker, CD input, Speaker Emulated Headphone, and Line Output plus a Master Volume control, you have a world-beating combo.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
 Features: 8.5
 8.5
 7.4
reviews (31) pictures (2) 82 comments vote for this gear:
MG100DFX Reviewed by: _TJ_, on march 15, 2004

Purchased from: Hooters

Features: It goes without saying that Marshall make some of the best amps arround, solid state, combo or otherwise. This amp is incredably versatile, you can play anything trough this amp and get a decent sound. The amp comes with built in effects, which are very cool, a 12" celestion speaker, clean or overdrive options, and a realy dinky little button which thickens the sound and replicates the same sound as a tube amp. Which is great when you're playing very loud. As for power, this amp will blow you away, 100 watts of pure energy. With this amp I've played in a huge school sports hall to a large theatre and never needed to turn the amp above half way. And even when I was a bit naughty and did dare to turn it up to 10 it was still clear as day. It also comes with a two way footswitch. One switch to change channels. one switch two turn effects on and off. However you cannot turn off the reverb levels with the footswitch. It's a good job the reverb on the amp is lovely to listen to. // 10

Sound: I have three guitars, an Epiphone SG, a Fender strat and a indie tree of life electro acoustic. All of them sound absaloutly gorgeous through this baby. I mainly play heavy metal, but I also play stuff like guns 'n' roses and Clapton, and boy does this little number help you on your way. It will scream for you, growl at you, moan at you and if you ask it nicely it might tickle your balls for you. You can get many many sounds from the amp, the clean setting can give you anything from a harsh spikey sound to a very calm smooth sound. And the overdrive option you can do pretty much anything with. The acoustic guitar sounds very nice too, but I have had some embarrasing problems with feedback. Considering the amp is mainly for electric guitars I think I can let that go. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for over a year now and had no problems with it at all. I also own an ashdown solid state amp but by far prefer the diversity and power of this one. I would (and have) gigged without a back up for this amp, it has been kicked, left in the rain, and even fallen off a 2m high stage and it still works fine. // 10

Overall Impression: If anything happened to this amp I would certainly buy it again. It has everything you could possibly need unless your selling out arenas, and I'm guessing considering you are on this website, you are not. It has plenty of power, and if you ever are daring enough to turn it up to 10, you better hold on to something solid. // 10

MG100DFX Reviewed by: *bLeEdInG_hErO*, on august 10, 2007

Purchased from: Some internet site ive forgotten

Features: The MG100DFX is basically a low end Solid state Marshall for those who can't afford JCM's etc. However, the low price does mean lower quality. The 2 channels do mke things much easier when the footswitch is included, however it's often the case that you need to Switch between clean and classic crunch, or OD1 and OD2, which you can't do without pushing a Switch on the amp itself. The inbuilt effects are also pretty weak, and they also can only be tuned on and off, not changed between each other using the footswitch. The amp does pack plenty of power, I've played large outside venues without turning it past halfway, but using it at high volumes with distortion does create huge amounts of feedback, too much too bear for listeners. // 6

Sound: I use this amp either with my Epiphone SG Custom or Explorer, and usually a Boss ME-50 Multi-Effects unit in front to improve the weak sounding distortions and effects. I play mostly modern rock/metal like Lostprophets, Jimmy Eat World and Muse. For a while this amp seemed to cover these half decently, however as time developed I realised just how weak the distortion modes are. Even "Classic crunch" mode offers neither a classic sound, nor a crunch. To sun up the sound in one word, I would say: disappointing. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The only problem I've had with this amp has been the footswitch breaking, which set me back 30, but other than that it's reliability & durability has been pretty good. I've also gigged this amp for a while now and it has taken anything I throw at it, and there has been a few things for that matter! // 8

Overall Impression: Overall impressions are that this amp is not what I was expecting. The quality of different effects and settings really let down the Marshall name in my opinion, and I urge anyone Who (like me) thinks "oh, it's a Marshall, it'll be good" to reconsider. // 4

MG100DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 07, 2005

Purchased from: American Music Supply

Features: I think that this was made in like 2003 or something like that, but I haven't really checked. I just gigged for the first time with this amp (I've been using a crappy Peavey 25 watt) and it is so good. I play classic rock, punk, and some metal. For classic rock and punk, this amp is a must, however, without a disortion pedal for this amp, its hard to get a really metal sound. It's passable of course, 'cause Marshalls are as close to perfect as you can get, but there is still something to be desired for. This has digital effects, delay, chorus, and flange. The flange and the delay are good, but the chorus is really weak, I can't hear it at all. It came with a footswitch, which is awesome. I wish that it would switch between the clean and the crunch on the clean channel, and OD1 and OD2 on the lead channel. You have to switch that on the amp, and the switch is just for switching between channels and turning on the effects. Overall, this is a great amp, for the price and the size. // 10

Sound: I use this with a Fender jagstang that has one humbucker and one single coil. I never use the single coil, so it's just the humbucker. I've played some Guns N' Roses on this, and it's fricken awesome, sounds just like Slash. OD1, which is less heavy lead, is great for Led Zeppelin and stuff, while OD2 is better for heavier distortion. It handles well in all situations. Overall, excellent. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I pretty much have to use this at a gig without backup, 'cause it's all I've got. It's brand new and works like a dream. This is gonna last me at least ten years, probably more. Another excellent. // 10

Overall Impression: This is so good. Sometimes I might reach out a little, but all in all, I am a classic rock player. This is the most perfect amp I have ever played. Go out and buy one if your looking for a good gig amp. // 10

MG100DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 28, 2006

Features: This amp is brilliant. The features are really good. There is a clean sound, which is good at medium - high gain, it's not very noticable low but thats ok just turn the damn thing up! Crunch is awesome, it's a really heavy, bluesy kind of sound and it's really distorted and it roars with high gain, it's really good. That was the first channel, there are 2 channels but 4 different sound modes. The second channel is overdrive, thats really cool. Od1 is good for punk or normal rock. Od 2 is really good, it suits heavy rock, heavy metal, or just plain rock (low - medium gain for normal rock), it's really cool. Similar to crunch but a bit less growl. All of them are good though. Also it has stunning effects like chorus, delay, chorus/delay, flanger. These are really cool delay is like an echo and it's awsome. Also there is a great reverb level and FX level to control how much FX you want. A few input jacks for headphones and CD in. A great FDD switch which can't really explain but sounds great, a bit valvey. 2-way footswitch also supplied. // 10

Sound: I use a cruiser Fender strat copy with 3 single coil pickups. Not to great but ok for a 14 year old. This amp is so good you dont nesseserily need a flashy guitar with humbuckers to sound good. It's better with humbuckers but normal single coils are awesome aswell on this amp. In this case the guitar really doesnt matter. The amp sounds great overall, the claen and overdrive 1 have a really nice warm tone and it's just got that distinctive Marshall tone that beats any other amp make. Brilliant sound (this amp is great for Guns N' Roses). The distortion is powerful on crunch and overdrive 2 at very high gain and volume levels. Overdrive also screeches at full gain and volume, I was stunned wen I tried that ouch! But still awesome sound overall and I'm proud that I have such a powerful amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, I've only had it for 1/2-1 day but I think it will last for a long time. Reliability wise I think this is a really solid and strong frikin amp man I bet you could drive into it full speed and will be fine! It's really heavy and strong very reliable. I would never mistreat it but even if I did it woud still probably fine. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't really like rock or metal, I just love Guns N' Roses and Slash, that's all I really play but this amp suits many styles of music and I love it. If it were stolen, it's so heavy I doubt anyone would bother taking it but id buy a new one if stolen or broke I mean cumon 215 pounds thats excellent for a 100 watt amp with 4 different spund modes, a footswtich, effects and considering its a Marshall brilliant price! Don't go for anything else! // 10

MG100DFX Reviewed by: SGdude452, on december 19, 2005

Features: This is a great amp. In my opinion it has about the right amount of features, and all of them are easy to use and change. I play mostly hard rock and some stuff like AC/DC and Guns n' Roses, also some heavy metal. The overdrive channel has a wide range of sounds and can be made to sound like almost anything, from classic overdrive to punchy distortion to good metal sounds. The OD1/OD2 switch is very helpful, allowing you to change quickly from medium-heavy distortion to extreme fuzz. The clean channel can be changed from a no fuzz, pure clean sound to a bluesy overdriven one. It's a little too bassy, but I still like it. As for effects, this amp has delay, chorus, flange, and delay-chorus, a mix of the two. Marshall did a good job on these. My only complaint would be that the delay doesn't get very fast. It also comes with a headphone jack, footswitch, and CD line in jack, very useful. At 100 watts, it's definietly powerful enough for me. It can get very loud, but is still pretty clear. It's solid state by the way. EQ for both channels is very good, espec. the contour button, great for a wide variety of tones. // 9

Sound: I have an Epiphone SG with two humbucking pickups, haven't fooled around with it or anything it's just the way it was from the store. No unwanted noise comes through, except for the ocasional feedback. The amp can make many souunds, from screaming leads to bassy, distortion-heavy riffs to pure, clean sounds. The clean channel does get distorted at high volumes because the volume knob also controls drive, but if you turn up only the master it's fine. Like I said earlier, the distortion covers a wide variety and can get very brutal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have never gigged with this amp, in fact just getting a band started, but I would probably gig w/o a backup. The only problem this amp has had is the footswitch started out controling FX but now, I have no idea how, switches the channels. This could be my fault but I think it's because the store gave me a one-way switch instead of the 2-way that comes with the amp. So far, the amp has been reliable and nothing bad has happened to it. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this amp can be used for pretty much all styles of electric guitar. Overall, I think it's awsome. I can count on it to sound how I want and do what I tell it. The only thing I wished I had asked before buying it is can I have the real footswitch? I would definitely buy it again if it was lost, and if it was stolen I would track it down and take it back from whoever stole it, after beating them down. I love the distortion channel and the contour knob. I spent along time looking at other amps, mostly Fender and Behringer. When I tried this one out, I knew it was for me. The overall sound quality was great, and they're was a good variety of tones I could get out of it. The only thing I wish it had is a better delay effect. // 10

MG100DFX Reviewed by: Mike1109, on june 08, 2006

Features: I bought this amp in late 2004, and I have been very impressed so far. I play a lot of styles of music, classic rock, blues, metal, neo-classical, hard rock, you name it. This amp is definitely capable of each of these styles. It has 2 main channels, with 2 for each. There is a clean/crunch channel, and an overdrive/overdrive 2 channel. They are split like this and you select one of each, and you can switch between them on your handy footswitch. The footswitch also features an effects switch. The clean channel is very impressive, no feedback whatsoever, just crystal clear, even on my cheap strat knockoff. The crunch sound is great for real rock n' roll or bluesy stuff. The overdrive1 channel is pretty weak to be honest, it's like a halfway point between the crunch channel and the overdrive 2 channel. It has proved useful from time to time, but I tend to leave this channel on OD2. The OD2 is very nice. It gives you that ranchy distortion that works very well for tapping and lead play in general. The amp also has a headphone jack and a CD input. The effects channel comes with a delay, flange, chorus and mix of chorus/delay, very useful and very easily accessible with the tap of your foot. // 8

Sound: I currently have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and it sounds beautiful through the amp. The Les Paul has humbuckers in it obviously and it sounds very nice with it. The blend of both can help you reach those squealing metal sounds, to GN'R type stuff, right down to acoustic things like Pink Floyd. Great versatility within this combo. On the OD2 channel when it is loud, there is a noticable amount of feedback. This can be fixed depending on where you are in the room, how close you are standing to the amp, whether or not you are facing the amp. It can be avoided. The clean channel is very nice on high volumes, I often crank the amp up to 6 or 7, which is very loud, on clean and just play some nice acoustic songs like More than a Feeling. The distortion is pretty raunchy, and it definitely suits my needs. If you are interested in Black/Death metal or anything more intense than that, I would suggest buying a pedal for it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely use this amp at a gig without a backup, and have done so. I was in a band where we had 3 guitarists and all 3 of us had this exact same amp. Very reliable and very versitile for live play, without the use of extra settings and footpedals. The amp has never given me any problems to date, although when you start up the amp it hums for a minute, but soon stops. // 8

Overall Impression: The amp definitely fits me perfectly, I have always liked Marshall amps and this one can bust out all of the styles I enjoy to play. I have been playing for nearly 4 years and it is one of the best solid state amps I have played in this price range. If it were stolen or lost I would probably buy another one. I love the effects it comes with, saves a lot of money on pedals. // 9

MG100DFX Reviewed by: SpanishYanez, on july 12, 2006

Features: This amp is brand new when I bought it and was is in perfect condition. Though the amp has been given a bad rep from all the UGer's it was pretty good to me. It has 3 channels clean, crunch, and overdrive and a footswitch that came with it only had a channel switch for overdrive and clean and the digital FX. This thing has 100 Watts of Solid State power which is good when I play at my church. It also has built in digital FX which I don't use that much except for the flanger. // 8

Sound: My P.O.S. guitar doesn't really sound great with this amp, because it's a f--ked up Strat clone that has the worstest fret buzz ever. But at the Music Star I tried it though a Fender Strat and I liked the way it sounded. Right now it suits my type of music Rage Against The Machine, Smashing Pumpkins, some Hendrix and Santana. The problem that's pissing me off though is that I live in a suburb and my neighbors are dickheads so I can't play this amp to its full potential. The distortion kicks ass though and with some feedback this sucker can get loud but then I'll get the cops on me for noise pollution. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is kind of heavy and seems real durable to any extent. I just wished that the Marshall company would've get more that one handle strap for the amp. This amp is loud to play some gigs at a small club but if you want real power get a tube. The amp has never broken down on me and probably never will. // 8

Overall Impression: I was impressed with this amp and is good for me until I get more money for a Marshall JCM800 dual channel 50 Watt amp. I wished I would have asked you guys for more opinions on this amp before I bought it because at first people were all for the MG and now they say they suck well you all can go screw yourself because I like this amp. If it were lost or stolen I would buy another amp in the future and in the mean time probably use my uncle's old amp, which is a damn good amp. // 8

MG100DFX Reviewed by: phil_axe-man, on november 07, 2003

Purchased from: big rock

Features: See previous review for specifications. // 6

Sound: I have used this with different guitars and it can definately hold it own tonally but lacks a certain quality. The sound of this amp is never going to set the world talking and was forced to sell it for something with a little more substance(a Marshall AVT150). This has no valves and so could never compete with valve breakup and it simply can not get the sound of volume distortion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is solid although I did have problems with the handle as it was a bit small and weak for the size/weight of the amp. You can chuck this amp around regularly and still expect it to work. // 6

Overall Impression: Basically it's a good starter amp for giging and practiceing but if you want some serious kit or an impressive sound spend some more cash and get a better amp (with some valves!) // 8

MG100DFX Reviewed by: MASTER JiMMY, on january 05, 2008

Features: This is my second amp. Considering I haven't had much to compare it to, it's still one of the best out there. It came with a foot swtitch which allows you to Switch between 3 channels but ultimately 4 with different combinations i.e. FX and clean, FX and Overdrive, No FX and clean, No FX and Overdrive. It has 4 inbuilt effects which is handy for me because I'm lazy as f--k to get out my pedal and has the sweetest distortion but I'm not the biggest fan of the clean channel. It would have been nice if the amp came with an auto-wah feature but meh if it doesn't have one. // 9

Sound: I'm running my cheap ESP through this amp, the EX-400 and well I didn't buy both for no reason. The sound is amazing. When you crank the volume the powerchords are like a slap in the face. Naturally I am using EMG 61/80 for my two humbuckin pickups and they are a dream to play. I have yet to figure out how to set my amp/gutiar to get that 80s thrash metal sound. I'm real keen on gettin it to sound like ...And Justice For All but having said that I am still more than happy with the sound atm. This could probably be because so far I only ever use the overdrive when it is set to: gain - 10, DD2, bass - 10, middle - 3, treble - 10, contour - 6. The beauty of the amp is it can acheive any level of loudness (or quietness) and you can use headphones ofcourse if that can be a problem but still, it goes really quiet. It is exactly as you would expect from Marshall, Brilliant if not perfect but again there are amps out there with a much better clean channel, but none beat Marshall distortion. The distotrion is as brutal as it gets // 10

Reliability & Durability: The amp is a cat with nine lives, I've bumped into almost everything whilst carrying it and I can't picture it dying on me, hasn't faulted once. The hardware may be a slight bit fragile but I guess that can become immune if you avoid carelessness. The main problems come when you carry it and don't pay attention or give in to it's weight and let it lead you or make you lean to one side etc etc. When first buying it I would recomend to carry it with a bear hug. Grab the handle with ur right hand and wrap ur left around the bottom and lift it up to ur chest to keep it as close to you as possible and to control the weight better, carryin it like a perse can be a bitch at first. Definately use car transport to enhance durability. But yeah it definately is reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: Considering that like 100% of the bands I like and the bands from the genre I play use Marshall I would say it is a good match and perfect for my style. This is the only amp of real quality that I own buti have still played some others and this is an awesome buy. They usualy give heaps of discount, I always hear ppl sayin that got it reduced from 1200 to 700 or from 1000 to 700 or 900 to 700 and one guy even got a great deal, 700 reduced from 1500! If this thing got stolen (which it can't be because it's so heavy) or if I lost it (realisticly youcant lose this beat) I would probably buy another Marshall, most probably an AV series or something of a little bit better quality mainly because I can hear a difference in quality since I bought the thing, but I also might consider some metal amp but who knows, I'd probably ask my mate Nish who knows more than anyone I've met. I wish it had more distortion. // 10

MG100DFX Reviewed by: NathanRobbins, on december 17, 2010

Purchased from: private seller

Features: This amp comes with 2 channels, Clean/Crunch, and OD1/OD2. The 2nd channel also sports a contour knob. Built in effects include Chorus, Delay, Chorus/Delay, and Flanger. Reverb is on a separate knob thank god. Effects loop in the back with Wet/Dry control up front. Also the little button that is supposed to make it sound more tubey-ish. The channels can be switched back and forth on a footswitch but you can't Switch between the settings in the channel such as switching between Clean and Crunch. Pretty standard features for an amp in this price range. // 8

Sound: I'm running my Ibanez Rg4 and 350MDX through a Boss OD-20, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Jr., Boss DD-20 for delay, and out to the amp (most of the time) and I play progressive metal/classical whatever. Dream Theater, Symphony X, Steve Vai, etc. With all of these effects i can get a pretty good tone out of it (I've heard nothing but compliments from fellow musicians) One problem I've had, however, is that when you use a setting other than Clean and you want to try to give it a "little more" on the crunch or heavy side with a pedal. FORGET ABOUT IT! The moment you press that button the most ungodly screech will come barreling out of your amplifier that's shrill enough to even hurt my mostly deafened ears. AWFUL. I was very disappointed in this. So... to solve this issue I leave my amp on Clean all the time and just use my pedals accordingly. The distortion on the amp is just plain weak. Anyone who says they can get a good chugging sound out of this is thinking about the wrong kinda sound lol. If you want that heavy guitar sound with some lows in there and highs that are not overbearing and completely unsaturated, you'll need some kind of external distortion or overdrive. By the way, the button on the far end that is supposed to mimic a tube amp is, in my opinion, a complete waste of space. You would probably never want to play this amp without that button pressed in because it sounds just pathetic without it. But also, in no way does it mimic a tube or valve state amp in sound. Volume wise... This thing can get loud. I've actually gigged this thing live (once in an auditorium) and it handled as well as it could. The cleans (when cranked) can get a little bit chimey (definitely not in a good way). // 6

Reliability & Durability: This amp... Sadly enough. Is absolutely not dependable. I will never ever play live without a backup. (i usually run stereo so a backup is already there :P) I have done nothing but baby this amp so i don't want to hear someone complaining that this was from neglect because it wasn't. Plugged this baby up for practice one morning and much to my horrid disbelief the sound cut out on me. Not completely though... You could still hear what you were playing but at volumes beyond low (especially since I had the amp cranked to 5 which is very loud) I checked all of my pedals. They were fine. I ran my pedalboard to some headphones. All was well. Hooked the guitar directly to the amp and switched some cords... Same problem. Checked my electronics on my guitar. All was well in there. Switched guitars 3 times. Same problem. I HAD A SHOW THAT NIGHT! And I had no amp. So I made a call or two and lined up a Peavey 112 Bandit for the show. Well the amp started to work again slightly so I took it to play stereo anyways. Halfway through the show it kept cutting out and back in even though the Peavey still sounded fine. After a couple months it has stopped giving me fits but I still won't trust it after that. I've heard too many accounts of this happening for it to just be coincidence. On another note, the fan starting up in the back sounds like a jet airplane struggling to take off and is sure to get some laughs out of your friends. It's just plain hilarious. // 4

Overall Impression: With my style of music, I would say this amp is a horrible match. The only way I get good tone out of it is to use a labyrinth of pedals and the clean channel on the amp which doesn't say much for it. I've been playing for several years and the only reason I haven't upgraded is because I don't have the $$$ right now. If it were stolen, (If they could carry it off... It weighs a ton) I would laugh my ass off and tell the person who stole it that it was their problem now. Compared to the Peavey 112 bandits that I play on every week... This thing is just sad. // 6

MG100DFX Reviewed by: JimiD, on november 06, 2003

Features: This amp was the last released in the MG series and is a solidstate combo. It is versatile enough to play all kinds of music e.g. Blues, Rock, Punk, Metal etc it has 2 channels (clean and overdrive) within each of these channels there is another choice; for clean you can also change the sound to crunch and for overdrive there are 2 choices overdrive 1 and overdrive 2, overdrive 2 should be used for those big "fuck off" metal riffs and awesome guitar solos. There is also 4 built in digital effects (flange, chorus, delay and a mix of chorus and delay). There is also headfone jack, a line out and it comes with a footswitch. // 10

Sound: Whether this amp is played with a guitar with 3 singlecoils or 2 humbuckers it sounds fucking amasing. If you get the settings just right you can wake up the whole fuckin town (e-mail at jamespfk@hotmail.com if you want these settings). The amp can be changed to make any kind of sound you want, ive played loads of styles of music through it and with the right settings anything played through. it can sound good // 10

Reliability & Durability: The amp has never failed me! ive played gigs, ive jamed and ive recorded with it and it hasn't let me down. when i bought it it came with a 5 year warranty aswell (im not sure if it still does that). // 8

Overall Impression: There is only one thing i would change about this amp, you can only use one digital effect at a time, that is it apart from that its fuckin tip top. The only other amp i would buy is the Marshall MG 100HDFX with two cabs. // 10

MG100DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 10, 2003

Features: Standard MG100DFX combo Best feature: OD2, since for the heavy music I play the OD1 channel lacks the gain. Although more gain on it would help since I max out the distortion channel, in its price range the AVT50 may be the better purchase if you have access to a PA. Clean channel, stays clean, almost impossible to distort DFX not a major selling point, I got it for its 100Watts. // 6

Sound: Using a PRS Santana SE, tuned down to drop-A# (open C). Amp suits heavy metal/nu-metal that I play. KsE, Five Pointe O, Fear Factory... Amp does have a very solid state typical distorion rain but its minimal compared with the loud cooling fan on the back of the unit. I sometimes use the combo as a head unit for a 4x10 or 4x12 cabinet and have found it even in power with about a 80-100W guitar head. // 8

Reliability & Durability: When I first got a MG100 the amp didn't work at all, Rockshops immediately replaced it since I'd already waited 2 months for a shipment to arrive. The second amp lasted about 2 weeks and then the distortion channel changed to a fuzz, the third amp has lasted a full 6 months with no worries at all. // 6

Overall Impression: Other amps worth comparing this with are the Laney Tube Fusion series, the Marshall AVT series and the Warp 7 series. I would take this amp over a Peavey any day and probably another manufacturer because of the 100W power it offers. // 8

MG100DFX Reviewed by: joyful womble, on march 03, 2004

Purchased from: marcus music, belfast

Features: I think this amp was made quite recently, 2002 to present as it was bought new. It has 100 watts output (solid state), 12" celestion speaker which does the job rightly. It comes with a footswitch (chanel select and digital effects on/off), digital effects (flange and chorus which are ok, delay which is hard to adjust the timing on and chouris/dealy which I would never use) and reverb. The 2 channels are clean (with clean/crunh switch on the front of the amp) and overdrive (od1 light distortion, od2, heavy) it has a cd input, headphone jack, line out and a switch called fdd which I would keep oin all the time as it makes the amp sound more valvey. // 8

Sound: Let's be honest here - the distortion/overdrive on this amp isn't up to much. I use a boss ds1 run through the line instead (instead of using the effects loop :-/ ) which I think sounds much better, but that's just personal opinion. I would use the falnge and matbe the chorus digital effects, the problem is that you only get a quarter-turn of the knob to select the speed, so it's hard to get exactly right. The reverb sounds pretty good, when I use it I have it set at about 4. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for about eight months and it's given me any trouble, but I've noticed that the fan sounds noisy and erratic, like there's something wrong. I would possibly gig with it without a backup, I've never gigged so I don't fully understand what it requires. // 8

Overall Impression: I use this amp and my ds1 for punk, rock and blues and it covers them all pretty well (bearing in mind that a play a richwood strat with horrible pickups). The cd input is nice because at parties you can use the amp like a 100-watt hi-fi, and the fx level control means you can have amsaturated effects sound or just a subtle hint. I would reccomend this amp to a beginner to intermediate player who wants to be heard over their drummer once and for all :) // 8

MG100DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2004

Purchased from: Trad Music

Features: The amp has 1 internal 12" celestion speaker and a 100 watt solid state head. It is exactly the same as the MG100HDFX except it doesn't have 2 extension cabinet ports and it has a speaker instead. There are clean, crunch, OD1 and OD2 channels. The emulated line out function is excellent. Allows recording or playing through a PA with the sound of a high quality mic. // 8

Sound: I use the amp with an Ibanez RG370dfx. I play mainly heavy / power metal in the style of Iron Maiden or Iced Earth. I use a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal on the clean channel to get the sound I want as I find the OD-2 channel a little scratchy for my liking. OD-1 can be used as an excellent solo boost. The amp is amazing for lead sounds in the style or Iron Maiden or Yngwie Malmsteen. It is also LOUD. There is quite a bit of variety you can get from this amp - the contour control being especially useful. Excellent Mid sounds all over the amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged with this amp many times and it never lets me down. It is dependable and reliable and can take a beating. // 10

Overall Impression: If it were lost, I would probably get another. However I want to try the MG100HDFX with the 1960 cabinets for a 'bigger' sound - so I might get that first. It's 65lbs - so it's reasonably portable, which is one of the biggest pluses for me. I wish it had more speakers - that's about it. // 8

MG100DFX Reviewed by: neuroplay.com, on october 18, 2004

Purchased from: Jackson Music

Features: This amp dosn't have as much on it as some of the other Marshalls but that's how some like it. It's pretty simple, and if your an effects (floor pedals) person it's just what you need. It's got a good "clean" channel and a button to give that channel kick. It's got a distorted channel to give it even more kick, and it's an ok distortion. It's got an effects loop, headphone jack, and an external speaker jack. No floor switch for the amp. I wish it had on though. It sits in a 14 foor by 14 foot room (my bed room) with a drum set and a Peavey bass amp and it's got enough power to equalize to them, even go a little higher (100W). It's got like 12 knobs on it for the 2 channels' gain, EQ, and it has effects, but the effects don't change for the 2 channels their universal (just chorus, reverb, delay, and flanger). // 8

Sound: I run an Ibanez Custom RG321 through it on the humbucker through a DigiTech GNX1, DigiTech Grunge pedal, and a Boss DS-1 and it sounds great, it's plenty loud, and it's got EQ so you can personalize that sound. It only has a clean and distorted channel (the distortion is ok not all that great). I play a lot of grunge and it lets me load a lot of effects onto the sound and it's still clear. When you turn it on after it sits for like 6 or more hours it revs like a car that won't start, I don't know why. And sometimes after a lot of playing the noise (buzzing) can get pretty loud, but you can only notice it when you're not playing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It hasn't kicked out on me yet, but the reving it does when it starts up kinda scares me, I wouldn't take it on stage over the Marshall AVT150 I have, but it's good for practice. // 8

Overall Impression: As I mentioned earlier it's good for people who use a lot of floor effects. It gives you a great clear sound in all conditions (unless you purposely try to make it un-clear). It's pretty loud for 100W. It's a great amp and all but I wouldn't go out looking for one if your looking to go on stage. I wish it had a floor pedal for the channel switching, but the distortion isn't all that great anyway so I just leave it on the Clean channel. // 10

MG100DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2005

Features: I have no idea wen it was made, but I know the MG's are pretty new, I play metal and this amp is perfect, when you turn the OD 2 on you get a good bit of distortion but I find it is not enough that is why I use MT2 along side it, which makes it superb. It has features such as delay, chorus, flange, reverb and plenty of fx controls, you have plenty of power no need to turn this thing past 5 really for me anyway, it is a solid state but the FDD makes this amp act like a Valve which I personally like it's a great feature. // 9

Sound: I use a Gibson SG Classic with P90's it works a treat with or without my MT2 the effects are great, and it suits my style you can get a heap load of bass out of it so palm muting sounds quality, it can be noisy when using pedals, feedback etc you can solve this using a Noise Suppressor though, there is a great variety of sounds the amp gives, plenty of knobs to find that unique sound your looking for. The clean holds all pretty good even when loud, but I would warn you when using distortion when you turn it up it can get worse so if your playing live you may need to change your settings, if you are not using any distortion/overdrive pedals on this then you do not need to worry as the distortion does not go too far anyway. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on it but it would be nice to have backup I think that goes for anything though, it has not broken yet which is great but I do not push this amp to far, I know friends who have had theres repaired. But do not worry about that the sound it gives is ace. // 8

Overall Impression: Great for my music, great variety of sounds you can find, it may take a while to get use to the sounds and finding your sound but thats half the fun. I have been playing a year I tried this in the shop and liked it straight away, if it was lost or stolen I would probably buy it again, the footswitch is great as you can switch from FX to clean to distorted easily in comparison with other amps I think for someone playing small venues it's great but I guess if you have the money go for a JCM 800 or any valve Marshall. // 9

MG100DFX Reviewed by: Robert_Terry, on january 03, 2006

Features: 100 watt solid state combo. Has headphone and line out jack's. Made in 2003 or 2004 in korea or somewhere like that, not being a snob this dosnt bother me at all. 2 independant foot-switchable channels, clean and over drive. Both clean and overdrive have 2 varriable sounds e.g. clean=clean and crunch and overdrive - overdrive-1 (vintage) & overdrive 2 (modern more powerful). Effects wise it has (again foot=switchable) 4 potential effects including chorus, chorus-dealy, delay and flanger, however only one may be used at a time. Reverb is also on the amp, which annoyingly this isnt incoperated into the footpedal, and is switched on constantly (can be switched to 0 so it isnt heard but if you use reverb for solo's only then an embarassing run to the amp is needed pre solo). When you compare this to most valve amps this is a very good amount of features, lets face it these features are never going to give you vavle like tone (all though the FDD sound contol switch does help you get closer). Not bad at all feature wise. // 8

Sound: I use an Ibanez GIO R170 (cheep starter guitar) indie black standard with high output pickups and a Gibson SG Classic (P-90 equiped). Pedal wise I use: Boss Chromatic Tunner, Super Overdrive, Metal Zone 3, acousitc simulator and DS-1 Marshall Guvner Overdrive, Ibanez Fuzz and a Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Original. I will start with the clean channel. Features - clean/cruch switch, gain control, treble, middle, bass EQ's. Clean setting is pretty impressive, I'm not a fan of clean amp tone, but this amp does it well, and what I love the most about the clean setting is it gives me no problems when I use pedals unlike some rival solidstate amps. And being a pedal freek the amp's t/m/b EQ's give a good extra dimenstion to the pedals tone (so please experiment dont just keep them on 5 5 5 and use the pedals EQ's alone). Very good 9. The clean channels crunch setting however is a pile of sh1t, sorry to be potty mouthed but it honestly is horendus. since owning this amp I have used it around 3 times (gods honest truth I have only pressed crunch three times) it is a totally un-nessasory, un-needed control option, why would you want an extra dirty option on your clean channel when you have 2 overdive types on your dirty channel? It's too high gain at any volume (not heavy metal high gain, just screaming feedback high gain). A pointless adition. And thats for simply not breaking. The overdrive channel isnt too bad, has its own gain, overdrive type (the afore mentioned overdrive 1 and 2), bass midd treb conture and volume EQ's. All these work very well in truly ajusting tone, my only critisism is there is a conflict between the amps master volume and the dirty channels volume with takes a few hours of prcacitce to master totaly. The over drive 1 is a more vintage sound, it does it well, but dammit I like to progress with my music, not play week gain songs so its rarely used by me but still good at what it does. The overdrive 2 option was my main dirty tone for a good long while before I got into pedal tone and is good, due to the conture control its pretty versitile and powerful, yet I always got the feeling there was too much bass in it. so great for vintage and bass-heavy tones. The effects are pretty average, non really stand up to there pedal counterparts (but lets face it, you bought a 235 amp, not a multi effects unit) and work alright at what they do, good for the player who wants to experiment a bit for some songs, and the chorus-delay is pretty sweet I use it when playing the clean parts in muse's time is running out and it does sound piano-like. Reverb, is a good but I really dont like reverb so I dont overuse it. I now tend to use this amplifier as simply that, an amplifer of my guitar and effects avoiding the Dirty channel simply as my effects surpass it. As a effects amplifer-9 on its own 7. Is good loud so if you need a giging amp cheep its well suited to you. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Very dependable, use it without a back up anyday. I spilt a drink on it when playing a gig (I wasn't playing a friend borrowed it and a punter spilt some beer on it). I feared the worse but it was fine, I was very impressed. It's tough as nails, and as a result weighs quite alot, so I recomend moving it with a 2nd person. Never given me any problems at any volume. // 9

Overall Impression: I started off playing just punk and as any true punk guitarist knows, punk guitar is just you, a guitar, amp and crowd. About a 1/2 year in I started attending lessons and started playing more virtuoso guitar e.g. Satriani, Yngwie etc, and so started buying more pedals to use as well as the amps tone, this amp has served me well through out our time together. If lost, broken or stolen, I would think long and hard about what to buy next, this would be a possibility, I would still stick with a solid state amp, with the maintanace, cost and un-predictibility of tube amps. I would look at the Marshall solid state range, and that of randel, and probably look at the Marshall MG 1/2stack simply due to its volume potential. Good amp, very good for the price. // 8

MG100DFX Reviewed by: thezep, on march 14, 2006

Purchased from: bizarre guitar

Features: This amp is perfect for classic rock. It is totally versatile too, you can have a down south juking crunch all the way up to a death metal roar. For me I leave it on the clean channel for the most part and run my pedal board through it. It has a clean and an overdrive channel, with two overdrive settings, 1 and 2, 2 is heavy. You can run an effects loop, and it does have a headphone jack/emulated line out great for late night practices. I hardly ever use the FX part of it, but at the time I bought it I didn't have any separate effects. I do use the delay. I use this amp in my band and at gigs. It's 100 watts, and it has a ton of power. It is solid state as well, so pedals work great through it. // 10

Sound: I play through it with a Gibson Les Paul. It is great for classic rock and blues, which are what I play. It isn't noisy at all, except the fan buzzes a little when I first turn it on, it goes away after a minute or two. This amp has huge variety. The clean channel stays reasonably clean all the way up until your ears start distorting it. The distortion can be totally brutal if you want it to be. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would use it at a gig with no backup, and the amp has never broken down. One time the fan stopped working, but that was my own doing, long story, don't ask. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great amp, perfect for what I play. If it was stolen or lost I would buy an old Marshall Plexi probably, but I would never sell it or trade it. I love the Marshall tone. I compared it to pretty much every amp I could, and nothing beats a Marshall. // 10

MG100DFX Reviewed by: krymson, on july 31, 2006

Purchased from: Steve's

Features: I have no idea when this amp was made I assume recently though. I play many many different style of music including ska, metal, punk. It doesnt really cover all but most. This amp has two channels, clean and overdrive and comes with a footswitch to change between them with is handy. The amp also has 4 built in effect; delay, chorus, delay/chorus, flanger and reverb. On the footswitch you can choose to turn of the effedct but not the reverb wich is a pain. I used this amp for praticing with my band the highest I ever put the volume I ever needed it was 4 or 5, this thing is freggin loud. // 8

Sound: Mostly I've been using this amp with a Eppy SG with two humbuckers, and the sounds suits my style prefectly. I play lots of styles but mostly metal. I've heard peoplee complain tthat they cant get a good chug outta these amps, I have no idea what they're talking about. The amp is pretty noisy if you turn the contour up high and the volume up on the overdrive channel, but you can't notice it whiloe playing so it's not too bad. Really all I use this amp for is the distortion because I found I could lots of different types of distortion and as for the clean, to make sound better I just use the chorus effect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You cant rely on this amp. I have had the sound cut out on me all the time. I got it fixed and the very same day it cut again. I've heard reports that it happens again after about 2 months of being fixed. I keep wondeful care of my amp rarely ever move it. // 1

Overall Impression: Ok amp its got good sound, good features but the reliability really ruins it. I would recommend it if it wasnt for the sound cutting out. // 6

MG100DFX Reviewed by: bullgarrafuerte, on august 14, 2006

Purchased from: Music Go-Round

Features: This is my first Marshall amp, far from being a piece of crap like most critics say, I say this a pretty good combo for what I paid. I play in a punk-ska band and this amp works great for me. It has 2 channels, one clean with crungh which sounds really cool and the other channel with OD1 perfect for playing soft punk and rock and the OD2 mode which will made you ears want more, good for playing heavy stuff. The amp comes with 4 effects( flanger, chorus, delay, phaser and they can be mixed for your preference. The pedal changes between the two channels and turns on the effects, it weights about 22 kg. If find it perfect for a small gig of about 300 people!! it is really powerful. // 9

Sound: I will just say this amp is good with any guitar, I play with a Cort G-200 with 3 pickups and it sounds pretty cool at any volumes, the distortion is really good and deep even if you put the volume all way to the top! I have been at small parties with about 250 to 300 people an it has never dissapointed me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is one of the most trustable amps in the market, it has never made any weird sound or die in the middle of a gig, you don't have to be worried about anything when using the amp, it is heavy but it is worth it! All you need to do is clean up the dust and that's it, no need for taking care of valves, I have dropped my amp from the stairs like 3 times and nothing happened to it, not even a scratch! // 10

Overall Impression: I love every aspect of this amp exept the weight, but I can handle it so I would say this amp just fulfilled amp my expectatives, even if I am at home or at a small gig this amp really works for me, it fits on my car, it shines like the sun and you can have the power and the quality of a Marshall valve-amp without paying too much. I consider this amp the best of the MG series. // 10

MG100DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2007

Purchased from: Some Guy.

Features: We all know the specs so I won't go over them here. I will say that looking for an amp kept leading me back to Marshall. I have loved the sound of the Marshall crunch ever since I heard Master of Puppets twenty years ago. I didn't really want to drop huge coin on a top of the line Marshall as I'm more of a hobbyist, so I was researching intro and mid-range modles. At first I was considring an ATV50X as when I bought my Jackson JS30DKT the guy in the store plugged me into an ATV model, the bastard. I also looked at Peaveys and Crates having owned a Peavey and used a Crate in the past and liking them both. I then stumbled accross an ad in a local used gear site for an MG100DFX for sale. I went to the guys house, tried it and bought it without question. It is a little strange that the footswitch doesn't have a third switch for reverb but whatever. I keep the reverb at a bare minimum anyway. I'm sure other players would have liked this. // 10

Sound: I use the MG100DFX with a Jackson JS30DKT and I don't think I could have found a better match for this guitar at this price point. I play a weird hybrid of metal, rock and experimental, lots of crunch and delay with a heavy dollop of feedback thrown in (much to the chagrin of my bandmates). This amp manages to pull off that warm Marshall crunch even though it's a solid state. Only the complete sound freaks may notice a difference. I used to swear by the Boss DS-1 for my distortion but it has been put away as the MG100DFX is more than enough when set to OD2 with the contour up about 3/4 of the way and the gain up full. I have only really played with settings a little but so far it does everything I ask of it without complaint. teh effects are kind of chinsy, but I managed to find a low chorus setting that works fine when I need it. I also use a Boss Digital Delay DD-3 and it has never sounded better no matter if the amp is set to Clean or OD. Regarding the clean channel, I have yet to find a reason for the Crunch setting, it makes the amp sound like a cheap knock-off. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's not as heavy as others have said. Considering that it's going to be at one of two places (jam space or on stage) at all times, I wouldn't care if it wieghed a tonne. I haven't really had the chance to abuse it but I will say that it is the most solid felling amp I have ever owned. If it puts up with my crap then it will have been worth every penny, I'm pretty hard on equipment. I'll rate this low becuase it's too new to tell. // 8

Overall Impression: I bought it second hand, but it is in mint condition. The guy told me that he needed a more bluesy sounding amp, like a Fender, and just never used the Marshall. Not a scratch, not a dent and still under warrantee. What can be said? It's a Marshall. There is a reason their name is dropped when talking about amplifiers. They make damn awesome products. Sure, Mesa-Boogie may be good (I did look at these as well) but they just don't have "that sound". Marshall, on the other hand, managed to give players "that sound" in a sub $500 amp. I applaud them for this. If my MG100DFX gets ripped off, I will hunt down and put the beats to whoever took it. If I can't find them, I would buy another without question. Before buying this I did try out the Peavey and the Crate amps I was looking at. Very nice amps but the Mashall blew them both away. Even with my DS-1 plugged into the other amps, they didn't even come close, and I have owned a Peavey Bandit in the past and loved it. I don't think I will be going back. // 10

MG100DFX Reviewed by: Metalbush, on january 24, 2007

Features: Well here we go then, this babys got two channels, one for clean one for distortion. Then you've got the built in effects, reverb, chorus, delay, flange and they are great! I don't usually use the chorus though. On to the distortion, now I am no expert but this distortion is brilliant to me, you get the real power with the OD2 Switch on! But you can make really nice classic rock sounds with OD1 and lower end distortion. In terms of power this amp is perfect for gigs and jams. I play mostly metal and I picked this amp because of what I had heard about it. It is very suited towards this type of music but I am sure you could get almost any basic sound out of it. Another feature is the CD in Jack that I use to plug in a Hi-Fi or a microphone. // 8

Sound: I use a Jackson Warrior with two Humbucking pickups. Now through this amp I get a tingle down my spine because these two really match each other. The contour knob really puts in the tone, I tell you with out that little knob I would have no will to live! It ads so much ritchness to the sound and on full makes a lovely heavy sound to it! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a brick shit house! It reaaly is, I would not need a backup with this. It has never given me any jip, but I've only had it for 8 months. My amp is registered with Marshall so if something went wrong with it the warranty will cover it (atleast for quite a while anyway). // 9

Overall Impression: Well I've been playing now for a year and a bit, so this really is the best amp I've ever had. I am sure in future when I have the tuppence I will upgrade to a AVT or something like that, It will have to be a Marshall. But if I lost it somewhere (the kitchen) I would buy another, because there such little war horses. Love the effects, as far as basic requirements goes this amp has it all! // 9

MG100DFX Reviewed by: chris_libby_88, on april 19, 2007

Purchased from: Bill Harden Music

Features: 100 watt solid state 1x12in combo. I'm not sure when this amp was made, but I bought it new the summer of 2006 This is an extremely versatile amp, you can change between Vintage overdrive to heavy distortion with the push of a button. I play metal/alt rock, occasional blues, and occasional classic rock and it handles all styles equally well. Most people complain that the distortion is garbage, but mine seems to distort very well. I run and Ibanez RG 3 EX1 with EMG HZ pickups into the amp and it gets a great metal distortion. It has 2 channels: clean, which can be lightly overdriven to a crunchy distortion or left clean, and the overdrive channel. The overdrive channel can be switched between light crunch (think ACDC) and heavy distortion. It has a contour control that takes adds bass or treble as well as all the standard tone knobs. It comes with a footswitch that changes between clean/lead channel and turns effects on/off. Reverb cannot be switched on or off by the footswitch, which doesnt't affect me much since I rarely use reverb, but it would be nice to be able to toggle it when needed. Effects include Chorus+Delay, Delay, Chorus, and flanger. You select each by turning a knob. The effect levels are controlled by a knob and you can controll the effects loop mix with a knob as well. It has a Switch that allows you to add 4 dB or take off 10 dB on the effects. It has a CD in jack and an emulated line out/ headphone jack. With 100 watts on a 12in speaker it has plenty of power to wake the neighbors. When I jam with this amp I usually have my channels on 10 volumn and my master on about 3-4. It would definitely have the power for a small to medium indoor gig. // 8

Sound: I use an Ibanez RG 3 EX1 with EMG HZ pickups with this amp and the distortion that is produced gritty, full, and loaded of tone. It suits my style of music very well. I play mostly metal and I have no problem getting loads of distortion. The amp itself is noiseless. My cable and guitar create a mild buzz but when unplugged all you can hear is the fan. As I stated above you can go anywhere from clean to the ACDC crunch to Metallica distortion. Being a solid state my clean channel never distorts. The distortion can get pretty harsh, not over the top death metal, but I play very heavy licks and I have nothing to complain about. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I bought this amp with no flaws or factory defects. I would gig without a backup anyday. This amp has never broken down or had any problems at all. It's very sturdy too, as I it gets a little beaten getting moved from my house to band practice and such, but it holds up fine. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great all around amp. It can cover any style of music, from country to hair metal to modern alt rock and metal. I've been using this guitar for about 10 months and have had no problems. it's not too heavy to haul around and jam with, and has plenty of volume (more than I ever use while jamming with my band) If it were stolen I would probably get a Marshall tube amp. Not because I dislike this one, just as an update. I was originally going to get a Vox Valvetronix 2x12 but there were none at the store so I got this one instead. I'm not displeased at all. The only drawback is that the effects are somewhat limited (you can only mix delay with chorus) and the reverb cannot be controlled with the footswitch. There's really nothing that stands out about this amp, but there's nothing to complain about either, if asked Ide recommend it to anyone for smalltime jamming, practice, or small gigs. // 9

MG100DFX Reviewed by: Demonikk, on june 21, 2007

Purchased from: Peter Cooks

Features: I won't explain the features as everyone else already has. For the price it's great value; it has enough power for most Live gigging and has a whole host of features, though some effects are pretty similar. There's a lot of knobs, so there's plenty of space for you to play with your sound. // 9

Sound: Well, I play my Jackson RR3 though this and I play mainly metal. The clean sound is very nice, I can get awesome Metallica-esque cleans out of it. I personally find that the OD2 channel is a bit lacking in overall brutality, the distortion just sounds a bit too Vintage for me. It has very little of that modern hi-gain filth I love. I can, however, dial in a whole load of different sounds, from Pantera to Clapton. There's just an enormous scope for tweaking with this amp. The effects aren't great, there's very little noticeable difference between them and the flanger really disappointed me; there's no option to have separate delay and flanger, you just get delay with a slight taste of flange (ahem). The reverb is great for bluesy soloing when combined with a neck pickup but it gets too muddy the higher up you crank it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's solid state, so built like a tank. The footswitch that came with it wasn't great, sometimes I have to stomp on it multiple times before it will change channel (this may be a one-off however). It's a simple, straightforward amp and I would trust it when gigging. However, I found that sometimes it would change channel of it's own accord, which would be a major embarrassment during a gig. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp is better suited for old-school metal than it is for modern hi-gain material, but add in a good stompbox and away you go. I would recommend a noise gate if you're going to be using this with the gain cranked, there's a good deal of feedback. Well, for the price, you can't argue much about features and trimmings and it's great for beginners and pros alike. Definitely worth a look if you're looking for a cheap amp with enough power for gigging. // 9

MG100DFX Reviewed by: Ridddle, on april 04, 2008

Purchased from: Rocking Rooster

Features: Made in 2007. 100 Watts solid state. 2 footswitchable channels; clean and overdrive. Then alternate channels so pretty much 4 channels; clean, crunch, OD1 and OD2. DFX includes Flanger, Chorus, Delay and Delay/Chorus. I use this mainly for practice but also for gigs in sports halls and the like. For 220, it was about 50 cheaper than a Line 6 equivilant, and I had already borrowed a Line6 Spider II 212 and pretty much hated the digital sound of it. The only things that could make this better are 2 carrying handles on either side of the amp just because it's too heavy for the single handle and also a footswitch that enables you to change between clean and crunch and OD1 and OD2. Oh and some valves would be good, just not the price of them though. // 9

Sound: I play pretty much anything. But mainly stuff lie Bullet, MCR, Lostprophets etc. and it's easy to get a replica sound out of this, just takes some fiddling. I play a Jackson JS30DK through this and also a Boss SD-1 pedal if I really need it. The cleans on this amp are amazing! Clear and crisp, even while turned up to 10. The crunch channel on this is pretty good for blues and the like, but doesn't that good through my neck pickup, probably cos it's dying. The OD1 channel is ok I guess, just for your basic overdrive and soft rock. Now OD2 I think, is a beast! Unlike a lot heavy distortion sounds, it is actually well definied. But the best part of this channel is getting pinch harmonics. They're as clear as I've ever heard them. // 9

Reliability & Durability: When I first got this, it started crackling no matter what channel it was on, and even worse when the DFX were enabled. I did resolve this however, when I had to play in a concert hall and had to move the amp out of our spare room. The amp was about 20cm away from the radiator in the room so I guess the crackling came from the amp over-heating. I have used this plenty of times without a backup and I'll never take one either. Unless I was playing this in an extremely hot room. Since I've had this it's never broken down or anything and also looks like it can take a lot of punishment before it would stop working. // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play emo/metal but then also a lot of blues. I'm the 1st person to admit that emo music requires very little talent and not a particularly good sound either. But the blues is very good and the metal sound is even better. I've been playing for about 4 or 5 years now and own a Jackson JS30DK, Boss SD-1 pedal, a DigiTech RP50 pedal which I never use except for tuning and a cheap Aslin Dane 25W amp. If someone nicked it, I would 1st make sure they were well and truly dead, get my money back and buy the half stack version instead just for the extra power and the look of a half stack. The best part of this amp is definitely the cleans you can get from it. This was the reason I bought it in the 1st place. The only product I properly compared it to was the Line 6 version of this and this was better value and I thought it sounded better as well. This amp is good all-round, but if you're not sure what your favourite type of music you play is, or if you play a bit of everything, then this is an amp to have a good look at. As I said before, I only wish it had a 4 button footswitch and 2 carrying handles instead of the one. // 9

MG100DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 09, 2008

Features: This amp is like Marshall's newest model! It is really versatile with 4 channels (clean, crunch, overdrive 1, overdrive 2). in turn each channel has 3 modes (green, Orange, red) that manipulate the gain green being the lowest gain setting and red the highest one. It comes with awesome 6 way footswitch that is extremely easy to operate. You can program the footswitch so it just takes amp to the stored setting or program the separate bypass Switch as a knob on the amp, for example turn reverb on or off. It has effects loop that comes handy when you want to mix your dry signal with your pedalboard. The amp also has separate reverbs for each channel and two master volumes. I give it a ten because of all the features and easy operation but it is recomended that you take a glimpse at manual beforehand. // 10

Sound: I use my Gibson Explorer with it. It is really good for classic rock and alternative (basically what I play). The amp gives no feedback at all but when you go to Orange or red mode in OD 1 or OD 2 this thing nearly blows up with feedback. I tried everything, even standing in other room but it still didn't help much. When performing I always have to turn the guitar volume down to zero because of feedback it gives, but sometimes I manipulate it like Tom Morello except I use a whammy pedal instead of tremolo bar. When you come close to it with the OD 2 on red channel it just bursts with all kinds of feedback and nearly explodes. Although there are 3 modes for clean channel, the real clean is first mode. It sounds nearly like acoustic. Other two channels sound more like natural crunch. Distortion channel is really versatile because you can make your amp sound like any classic rock song but it's not that distorted on OD channels. Just for experiment I tried to put my amp on OD2 red mode, cranked up gain and volume and still it is not as distorted as my DigiTech Grunge pedal and that's why I still use it with my amp. Overall I'm giving this 8 because it has really clean channel and distortion covers nearly everything from blues to crazy distortion but it gives LOADS OF feedback and that's bad. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is really dependable. It seems to be really heavy (well no duh) but tubes probably wont survive the fall from the van. The amp has never really broken on me, but once or twice right before the show when I was soundchecking it just wouldn't work, but that was explained by my pedalboard later. Read the precaution part of the manual because it gives lots of what not to do's. I'm giving it 9 because it's reliable but it's a tube amp and that means it's sort of more fragile than solid state. // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play alternative like Rage Against The Machine and Soundgarden but I also like classic rock (think AC/DC, Deep Purple) it's perfect for classic rock but you need more distortion if you are playing some heavy alternative stuff. I've been playing for 4 years and I always use my favorite Gibson Explorer but I also have bunch of other guitars. I use Whammy 4, DigiTech Grunge, Crybaby, DD-3 and MXR phase 90. Well to steal it you kinda need a SWAT squad because this baby aint going anywhere without at least 3 people to carry it and still it will be really slow. And I don't know how you loose this but anyways if something happens to it I'm going to buy exact same one! I love the two volume thing and how you can Switch between them when you feel you need a boost. I chose this amp because all the time I was gigging with my MG-30 which really sucks and my band couldnt hear me so I saved up for stack and I got this beast. It has loads of features and that's why this review is long:) I like this amp very much and I give it 10. // 10

MG100DFX Reviewed by: scott1995sg, on august 03, 2009

Price paid: € 365

Purchased from: Music box navan

Features: The amp is made in China.I uses this for bluse rock Indie and metal the amp works for all these. It has 4 channels clean (crunch, clean) and Overdrive (od1, od2) and 4 fx choras/delay, delay, choras, flange. A footswitch comes with the amp it has channel select and dfx select. It has fx send and fx return and headphone jack. I wish you could switch between all the channels not just the two. I uses this amp to practise and gig. It has loads of power to keep up with everything. it's a mono solid state amp. // 7

Sound: I use a Gibson SG Standard with humbicker pickups. Its noisy if you want it to be I only use it up to 2 or 3. The clean channel is a bit distorted at high gain.Overall the amp has a very sharp sound. The louder the amp gets the better the sound. Istill don't like the sharp sound on it I prefore the deep sound of a tube amp. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The amp is very reliabill I would go on stage without a backup even though I kick it jump on it drop it it still works great the only thing that broke was the footswitch the fx select stoped working for no reason a new one is 30 euro so thats a bugger but other than that its great. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 3 years I only have one other am a Fender Frontman 15G but I've tried loads more in shops.I like everything about the amp except for the sharp sound but you would hardly notice it it just bugs me. If you like the sharp sound them I would highly recemmend if to you but if you like deep sounds don't get it. // 7

MG100DFX Reviewed by: Twofly, on september 24, 2009

Purchased from: Marshall's Music

Features: This specific DFX model in the MG series has a whole range of features that can be useful no matter what style or level of playing you are at. I personally play a whole lot of punk, a bit of grunge and a little metal with it and it suits those styles fine. Its extremely versatile and im sure it can handle any style well. It has 2 channels-a clean and an overdrive and in those channels you can choose between clean and overdrive, and OD1 and OD2 (if you are playing without a distortion pedal I suggest OD2 as it gives some really nice crunchy distortion that you can mold to your style).It comes with a 2 way footswitch that you can Switch between clean and overdrive channels and also to turn the built in effects on and off.It also has an effects loop and headphone jack(both which i never use, I send my chain straight to the input jack).This amp's onboard effects are really great!although not as tweakable as an individual stompbox they give you a huge variety to choose from(flanger,chorus and delay,chorus etc).It also has a frequency dampening Switch(FDD)which when depressed gives a really great creamy sound that makes it sound like a tube amp. The only feature I wish it had was incorporating the on/off Switch for the reverb on the footswitch.unfortunately reverb has to be switched on and off on the amp and because of the I never use it, although the effect on its own sounds great.I use this amp at band practice and it has more than enough power,we play in a soundproof old studio and i never have the volume much over 12 o clock-thats how powerful it is. // 10

Sound: I am currently using it with an Ibanez GSZ 120 and an Aria Pro II SL and I've gotta say its sounds great with both. I play mostly punk and hardcore punk in my band and it sounds great. I play my guitars through a Boss MT2 Metalzone distortion pedal and a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor and its not noisy at all but thats thanks to my noise gate. Before I got a noise gate, when I turned my MT2 on it had lots of feedback but thats understandable at high volume(if playing Live i highly recommend a noise gate of some kind). I play it now days in an old recording studio and it sounds great in there. The amp can make a whole variety of sounds with the right tweaking (it even has a contour nob to set your overdrive/clean contour)so I'm sure no matter what style you play it will be great.the clean channel is not distorted at all at high volume and thats what really amazed me about this amp-but hey its not called a Marshall for nothing. You can get some really great distortion on OD2 but nothing very brutal, unfortunately you will have to get a distortion pedal if you dabble in denominations of metal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had it for about a year now and it has never let me down. The main reason I bought it was for gigging so yes I would rely on it without a backup. I would say because of its power it is a gigging amp however its sound and features make it invaluable even just practicing in your room. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk, hardcore punk, grunge and a little metal and this amp suits me perfectly. I've been playing for 4 years and this amp is the best I've ever played. I also own a Starfire Mega 10 (my first amp)and this amp completely over powers the starfire in every department. I also own an Ibanez GSZ 120 and Aria Pro II SL (in terms of guitars)and a Boss MT2 metalzone and Boss NS2 noise suppressor and just ordered a Vox V847A wah pedal(in terms of effects) and they always sound great on this amp.The only thing i wish was that the footswitch controlled reverb as well.I would buy it again if it was lost or stolen as it is the most affordable and best sounding gigging amp at its price range.I love everything about it, its features, its sound and its price!my favourite feature is definately the onboard effects which add something different to your sound.I compared to a Fender 45 watt amp and a Vox and chose this because of Marshall's reputaion and its features. // 9

MG100DFX Reviewed by: SchuldinerDeath, on april 22, 2010

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Features: My Marshall MG100DFX was made in 2002. This amp extremely versatile with basically any sound you would ever want coming from it's speakers. I play death/thrash/progressive metal. Obviously I use distortion, but in those three sub genres of metal, there are every so often clean passages in the middle of songs. With this amplifier, I can get aggressive death metal sound, and a warm clean sound. It's beautiful. It has two channels, Clean and overdrive. It does have channel switching either with a button on the amp itself or via footswitch (I use the footswitch) It has effects. Chorus, delay, flanger and reverb; the basics but that's all you need. It has a CD input jack, an MP3 player plug in, headphone plug in, and of course, the guitar input. I wish this amp was a tube amp and not a solid state. That's really the only thing because we all know tube amps sound so much more vivid than solid-statrs. I rarely use the effects on this amp, but when I do decide to, they are wonderful. I use this amp as a primary amplifier. I don't currently have money for a cab or head, and believe me when I say that this amp kicks any practice amp's ass. I use this amp everywhere, practice, and small shows. I really do love this amp // 10

Sound: I use this amp with my trusty 'ol Epiphone Les Paul Custom. It has two humbuckers so it's nothing amazing. All I care is that it gets the job done. This amp can be noisy, especially when it's near a radiator or if you have a cell phone within 20 feet of it. No big deal. This amp can give you any sound you want really. Everything from reggae to Black metal. The clean channel sticks to its name. It stays clean, no matter what volume. The distortion is the definition of brutality. It'll have you head banging like maniac for hours on end. It did for me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: THIS THING IS A BEAST. I've dropped from some pretty questionable heights, and it's survived. It's a sturdy, well-built amplifier. I would most definitely use this baby at a gig without any backup whatsoever. No way, this amp has NEVER once broken down. It's like a steel box, nothing can stop this tough guy. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp WILL, I guarantee to anyone, satisfy the you with the sound you're looking for, whether it be Acoustic sounding country or Punk or whatever your musical preferences are. I've been playing since my 13th birthday, so it's been two years now. I own my Les Paul, a DigiTech Grunge pedal and I'm a very proud owner of a Dunlop crybaby Wah pedal. I don't regret purchasing this amplifier for an instant. If this were stolen or lost, I would most definitely buy myself another Marshall, that's the amplifier brand I'll be using my whole life for sure. I absolutely love everything about this amp, no flaws that I can hear.Like I said, if I could change this amp in any one way, I would love for it to be a tube amp. Overall, this amp is a satisfactory purchase for me, and I'm sure it will be for you, fellow readers. Rock on // 10

MG100DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2012

Price paid: C$ 550

Purchased from: Prom Music

Features: I would assume this amp was made in the early 00's since I purchased it around 2005. It's plenty versatile enough for a rock or metal player, as most of you likely know Marshall is not a name synonymous with country and western! It's a solid state amp but with a twist, it includes FDD technology, which basically is a little button that is supposed to emulate a tube sound (makes no sense not to have it pushed in at all times). It has built in digital effects which are alright, the delay being the best of the bunch (also has flange and chorus). As others have mentioned, the footswitch could have a few more options on it (such as allowing you to switch between OD1 and OD2 etc... But hey this amp is dirt cheap after all. // 8

Sound: I mainly use a Jackson DKMG and play rock and metal and its definetley suited for those styles. The clean channel is alright (not bad and nothing special at the same time), you are not going to get those shimmering sounds you would from a Fender but you would not have bought this amp for that purpose any way. I have read other comments regarding the utility of the clean crunch button, but I must say I find it pretty useless (too harsh for cleans and not dirty enough for distortion). The OD 1 channel is good for AC/DC and classic rock and OD 2 is more for metal. I will now let you in on a secret... If you are not satisfied with the distortion for balls out metal, try running a BMG sonic maximizer through the effects loop (at about half). You will be amazed and likely sell your distortion pedals! I recently bought an all tube Peavey 6505 (famous metal amp) and the Marshall is not that far behind with the maximizer. // 8

Reliability & Durability: So far my comments have been mostly positive but I must knock a few points off here. The input for the guitar cable broke and had to be replaced and the first time I turned the amp up (several years after I bought it) it shorted out after a few minutes. I later found out it was because the cooling fan wasn't working and likely never did! // 3

Overall Impression: Again for the price (they are even less expensive now) there is nothing wrong with this amp for an amateur rock or metal player. Do not let those tube snobs tell you its junk sounding because as I mentioned, I recently convinced myself I needed a tube amp and bought a Peavey 6505 and did a side by side comparison, expecting it to blow the Marshall away and I really don't think it did. Maybe playing with a band a loud volume, a tube amp will cut through better but for bedroom practice (which is mostly all I do anyway) this amp is a beast... And I could have saved my money until I could afford a boutique amp lol! // 8

MG100DFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 18, 2012

Features: My amp was made in 2007. I researched it prior to trading and learned that these amps in the earlier production years had issues with the fans not working and subsequently destroying the boards by overheating. The 2007 model has had this issue rectified by the manufacturer and the amp works perfectly and has never overheated, even during large outdoor festivals. I use the clean channel and the OD 2 channel via footswitch. Both clean and the distortion channel I use are excellent in sound. I run my pedals through the effect loop in the back and get excellent sound quality. I even used this amp in an Imax movie our band was featured in in 2011. Although it is a solid state amp, with fdd button pushed in, a warmer sounding tone is achievable. Like any equipment a person uses, it takes time to get to understand how to get the most out of it. Although it comes with digital effects (nice for practicing at home) I don't use them live as there isn't enough control over them for me while on stage. This amp is fine for gigging. It has plenty of power for any size venue (except maybe stadiums) and is a good amp for the price. I use another distortion pedal (on my effects board) to get variety as the footswitch does not allow changing between the two settings per channel. // 8

Sound: I normally use a Godin Icon 2 Fat Black guitar with a Duncan '59 in the bridge position and a custom neck-through-body electric with a DiMarzio in the bridge position. This guitar is similar to a Paul Reed Smith and has coil splitting for a wide variety of tones. I also have used an Ovation electric/acoustic through it which works okay but usually run any acoustic through a DI box, not the amp. But if you play your acoustic through the amp, it won't feedback through if you use the rubber sound hole cover (which is always recommended anyway). I have not had any issues with feedback either. In my experience, the feedback isn't because of the amp, it's usually because of either physical proximity while playing or the guitar's electronics. I do hear a little bit of hum but found that to be caused by the electrical system of the venue which can be different quality from venue to venue. To remedy this I use an ISP Technoligies Decimator noise reduction pedal. Works great. I can't stress enough that people should be using the effects loop when using effect pedals and multi-effect pedals. There is a nice effect loop mix control as well. The distortion channel on OD 2 is great and cuts through without losing the notes within the chords being played. Too bad there isn't a signal boost for solos on the pedal supplied. I use a Boss Compression pedal for that. The clean sound is fine as well. My band plays Alt/Rock but I also play metal (Ozzy, Iron Maiden etc) and mellower material as well and this amp sounds great consistently no matter what volume I set it to (which is not past 5 normally) or type of music. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is the only amp I take to shows. It always sounds great! It doesn't weigh as much as a tube amp which is nice. It is rugged as the body is made from plastic... Not that I bang it around when transporting. Take care of it and it will take care of you. // 9

Overall Impression: I find this amp to be extremely versatile. It's like a jack of all trades but master of none. This amp works well for what I do. I would buy one again... Even just to have at home for practicing. It sounds best over volume level 3, so hopefully your neighbors don't mind. I have been playing for around 26 years and have used all brands and styles of amps and this works great. Don't let peer pressure and ego make you spend way more money for a sound so similar to this one just to stop music snobs from calling it down because it isn't a tube amp... That's their issue. As you evolve as a player, so will your taste in equipment... Which is okay! // 9

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ MG30CFX 9.8 Guitar Amplifiers 12/26/2014