MG100HDFX Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 11/30/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: MG100HDFX
This awesome, 100 watt head will drive any cabinet from the Marshall range, but is best suited to the Celestion loaded MG412A (angled) and MG412B (straight) 120W 4x12" cabinets. Unbelievable tone, feel and projection come as standard.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Features: 8.4
 7.9
 8.6
 7.2
reviews (31) pictures (1) 212 comments vote for this gear:
MG100HDFX Reviewed by: ollerom_mot, on december 22, 2004

Purchased from: Music Makers

Features: This head was made in 2003, and I have been using it with the recommended MG412 cabinet. I play in a metal band, and with plenty of fiddling round I found a nice tone that suited metal, but to satisfy my hunger for punk (Bad Religion, Pennywise) some adjusting made that sound pretty good too, even with my sub-standard guitar. It has 2 channels, clean and overdrive. On clean you can choose between clean and (bluesy) crunch, which I haven't found much use for, and on overdrive there are two different sub-channels also, OD1 and OD2. I found OD1 was a bit lame for my tastes and I normally have OD2 on the overdrive channel, and clean on the clean channel. There is a footswitch to change between the two channels. This head has jacks in the back for effects loops, and a headphone jack (for when I've been practising at home). For the effects built into the amp, it has another pedal on the footswitch to turn the effects on and off, but you can only have one effect on at a time without turning the knob. It has all the features that I could really ask for, apart from a footswitch that turns the reverb on and off would have been nice. I use this amp to practice at home (with headphones in), for band practices (max it ever goes up to is halfway), but have not had a gig since buying it, but 120 RMS pretty much assures me that it will be big enough for anywhere. // 8

Sound: I'm currently using a Squier Telecaster with this amp, but I feel that with this guitar I am not doing it any justice, but I can still get some decent sounds out of it that suit my metal, punk and classic rock needs. The amp is very versatile, and if you know how to use it, it could be anyone's best friend. The clean channel is gorgeous, it's the best clean tone I've heard on an amp in my entire life, I love it. The distortion isn't the best I've heard, but I have only heard it on my guitar, which is not very nice. However, I'm not saying the distortion is bad, it's brilliant, but I haven't found a tone that matches to the clean channels standard, and yes, you can shake your nextdoor neighbour's house with it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had it for a few months now, and (possibly due to my paranoia of damaging it) it doesn't have a scratch on it. It also has a 3 year warranty on it, and the cabinet, too. Nothing has been damaged to it, I can see this amp lasting me for a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is real good, especially for someone who needs volume and versatility (looks too, of course, but that doesn't really bother me). I have been playing for around 3 years now, but have owned very few (but played many) amps. Before this amp, I was playing through a 30w Nobels bass amp through a Danelectro Grilled Cheese Distortion pedal, and it sucked. So my bassist has inherited my pathetic bass amp and this one casts a large, dark shadow over it. If it were stolen/lost (although it's pretty hard to lose something this big), I would probably break down and cry, and complain for the next few months as I saved up for a new amp, which wouldn't be this one. I would probably buy a similar cabinet, but save up for a JCM series head instead, something more professional, or maybe just get a combo, depending on the way things with the band are going. The only bad thing about this amp is sometimes I feel I might have gone a little OTT, as it certainly isn't practical to lug the cabinet around, and it takes up a fair amount of space. Despite this though, I do not regret this purchase and all-round is a brilliant amp, but advise anyone who is considering buying it to seriously think if they truly require an amp of this size. // 10

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: The Konztranata, on july 03, 2006

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

Features: Built in 2005. 3 channels, although the third is debatable. Solid state, gives respectable solid state companies such as HH and Carlsbro a bad name. A terrible gasket of inbuilt effects, which are basically either on or off. No compromise or tone Switch for us then! The amp is versatile, provided that you care very little about your tone. And most importantly, the Marshall logo, because of course, this amp is so poorly designed and constructed, that this is the only feature of supposed repute. // 5

Sound: I was sold this guitar, having been told that it could provide a reasonable volume for medium-ish sized gigs. it provides very little volume, infact, through the terribly designed and cheaply made G12 speakers in the stock MG cab especially. If you require volume, move at least to the AVT series or beyond. Remember, for the price of this lazy giant, you could buy a superbly high volumed Marshall or other combo. It has a poor low end presence, hence no bones will shake or hearts break etc. The high end frequencies however, even on mid settings are often shrill and tinny, even through the burstbuckers in my Les Paul. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Mine gave up after medium-heavy gigging in 6 months. Pathetic. Need I say more. At least it comes with a good warranty from new! // 1

Overall Impression: I am a member of an experimental band, but consider myself a guitar and noise nerd! I was and still am dissapointed that Marshall have produced such a low quality and weak product, especially given that this product in particular is often bought by kids bursting with ambition as the begin their lives as musicians. Way to leave a bad taste in their mouths Marshall, just hope they knock on your dissolved factory door when they are superstars. // 3

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 25, 2008

Purchased from: Gloucester Soundhouse

Features: This solidstate amp is the stack version of the MG100DFX. The name says it all really. It's a 100 watts, with digital effects (delay, chorus, delay/chorus and flange). It has two channels, clean and overdrive. The clean channel has a Switch that allows you to change between clean and crunch, and the distortion has a button for changing between overdrive 1 and overdrive 2. As the names suggest, when you have the channels on either cruch or overdrive 2, it steps up the distrotion a bit. The two channels and the DFX are switchable using the footswitch that comes with it. This amp also has a CD in that can be used for playing backing tracks or just some of your favourite tunes; and a emulated line out and headphone jack for recording or playing some serious rock at 2 in the morning without pissing off the neighbours. It also comes with a spring reverb and a FDD (Frequency Dependent Damping). When the FDD switch is selected, it tightens up all the mids in your tone and makes your solid state amp sounds more like a valve amp, which rocks some serious ass. It also has a effects loop which is good if you have some effects pedals that you want in an effects loop. // 8

Sound: I play with a Epiphone Les Paul Standard which has Seymour Duncan pickups at the bridge and a Fender atomic humbucker for the neck pickup. I also play a Encore stratocaster which is cool for playing Van Halen and Steve Vai styled music because of the whammy bar. I also have a Boss gt8 effects pedal which is gopod when I have it set up in the 4 cable method. I play mostly classic rock (Aerosmith, Black Sabbath and Ozzy, AC/DC, Queen, Dire Straits, The Eagles, Hendrix and so on and so forth). The clean channel on cruch mode is great for doing hendrix or Eagles styled music with my stratocaster. The overdrive channel is suited for everything else. The clean channel is good for crisp country type music whilst the overdrive channel is great for solos.This amp has a lot of variety and it's well suited for most types or rock, from blues to classic to country. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is Marshall amp. This thing is built like a tank and because it's a Marshall, I can count on it to not breakdown when I need it most. This is probably the only make of amp which I would gig with withoput a backup. I haven't had the amp long and it's only been in my room for about 3 weeks, but I can tell it would take a lot to break it. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is great for me, It allows me to have a diverse range of sounds at the flick of a Switch. The tone is brilliant, it's very reliable and I just love the look of the half stack with the slant cabinate in the courner. This amp is perfect for me and I'm sure that it's perfect for other people as well. // 8

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: mesaboogieman, on september 10, 2005

Features: This is a fairly new amp from Marshall, I play mostly thrash metal but also some Led Zeppelin and blues. This amp has one channel for clean, and a channel for the overdrive, with which you get a choice between OD1 or OD2, OD1 is fairly weak and even with full gain is not worth using, it sounds like you've turned the volume knob right down leaving a little bit of sound to come through, but pushing the button into OD2 you get the full blown distortion that you would expect from the 4x12" speakers in the cab. It has an effects loop, CD in, headphone jack, footswitch comes with the amp, the footswich has only two buttons to press, one for the channel select, and one for the FX, a reverb selector would be good on footswitch, as the reverb sound on this amp is amazing, but obviously you don't want it there all the time, so I tend to play with very little of it. The effects on this amp are chorus/delay, not an effect I use alot, flanger, chorus and delay, all the effects are great but only when playing the right stuff, you can get an amazing sound from the chorus, you can also use the effects knob to adjust how much presence the effects has on your sound. This amp also has an FDD button, which tries to simulate the sound of a valve amp, it gives an amazing punch to the distortion and makes the clean sound alot brighter. // 8

Sound: The guitar I use is an Epiphone Les Paul, this guitar is great for pretty much any style of music, but quite weak to use in the bluesey areas, like Stevie Ray and Hendrix, in which case I use my Yamaha Pacifica, which sounds great on the clean, neck pickup. This amp is a bit too loud to just practise in your bedroom, so I suggest buying some headphones, if you try to play it quietly it just doesn't sound the same. I find the clean sound doesnt distort atall, unless you want it to, in which case you hit the clean crunch button included on the clean channel, again, I would prefer this to also be on the footswitch, all round I would say the only thing that let me down about this amp is the fact there are only two buttons on the footswitch. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would use this amp without a backup because it's hard as anything, I got covers free with mine to protect and bumps to it. As in tube amps, neglect or accidents can lead to having to have it repaired costing money, and not too good if you have a gig coming up. I find with the solid states its alot more reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play Heavy and thrash metal, the heavy overdrive on the amp is great, it has an amazing Punch to the sound and really bassey sounding, which is what I like. The sound I could compare it to is songs by Iced Earth, one of my favourite bands, in songs like "Stand Alone" you can hear what kind of sound this amp can give you. I have been playing 4 years and this is my 4th amp, all of them marshalls, but none quite as big as this one, nor as loud! Theres no comparison when you turn the volume up and you hear those speakers working so well. This amp has served me well over the past 2 months and I expect it will be my amp for a few years to come, until I outgrow it. // 8

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: WOLFMAN JOE, on january 08, 2006

Features: I got this amp for Christmas and it has just gotten better and better. The effects it has are: - Chorus/Delay - Delay - Chorus - Flange - Reverb It is pretty large, the cab is about 2' x 2'; and the head is about 6" x 2'. It's great for practice in you room or for live gigs. The cab weighs apporxomatley 70lbs, and the head weighs approximatley 36lbs. It has a CD-In 1/8" jack and a headphone 1/8" jack. It has channel switching, and includes a footswitch. The head has outputs in the back for pedals and other speakers if you want to use them. Carrying handles on the side make it pretty easy to carry. Under the back of the head there is a compartment where you can store things like strings and picks. It comes with a 5 year manufacturers warranty. It just has so many features including the fact that it is somewhat affordable. It also comes with a bunch of 1/8" cables. // 10

Sound: I play a Limited Edition Fender So-Cal Speed Shop Strat, and it has one humbucker at the bridge. I play mostly emo, but I also play some metal like Slipknot and Killswitch Engage. I also play some punk like Green Day and Blink 182. And it makes all of those bands sound exactly the same, with the right amp settings of course. I use it in my room, and it can be noisy because it is big, but just turn it down and it is quiet. But that ain't fun. My friend came over to see it and know he wants one because he said the sound is amazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I just got it not even a month ago, but by the looks of it, it will last a while. It seems pretty reliable. I don't in a band so I don't know about gigs, but if I did I would definitley use this one. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing about a year now and this amp is the best thing I bought so far. If it was stolen, because I could never lose such a large object, I would buy a new one after a lot of saving. I love everything about it. And it plays great with any type of music. // 10

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: Ich_Bin_Ibanez, on august 18, 2006

Purchased from: Pawnshop

Features: The Marshall MG100HDFX head is a lot more versatile than I thought it was going to be, when I first purchased it. It is a 2 channel head that you can Switch between with a footswitch pedal. It has a headphone jack, and an input for a CD. It has a few effects that saved me the trouble of getting pedals. Like reverb, flange, and chorus. I play grunge/metal/hardcore/acoustic all kind of put together on this amp. And it is more than capable of doing this. It has more than enough power than what I know what to do with. Because if we end up playing shows I know people with full stacks that I can use. // 9

Sound: This amp suits my style a lot more than I thought it was going to. It's not as noisy as I thought it was going to be as the volume dial moved up. This amp can make some amazing sounds with very very clean pinch harmonics to an amazing of variety of divebombs. It is very smooth mellow sound when you need it to be and at other times it can be distorted and all up in your face. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on this amp. If I played a show I would carry this in with 100% confidence in it. It has been through some tough times. And it still plays fine and sounds just as good as the day it was bought. If this amp ever breaks down not due to neglect I will be really surprised even if it's in like 5 years. // 10

Overall Impression: My overrall impression of this amp at first was sort of suprise. I was afraid to turn it up all the way thinking it was gonna freak out and make me deaf with feedback but it didn't. I have been playing for like 2 monthes and I own a Ibanez AEG10E with a Behringer hell-babe, and Boss Mega Distortion, and Boss Super Overdrive, I also use my friends Jackson Randy Rhoads with it. No matter what I have plugged into and what it's set to it keeps up with me. From stuff like Lamb Of God to Black Sabbath. // 10

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 19, 2005

Purchased from: gak

Features: The MG100HDFX one of the latest budget guitar amps from Marshall, Top of the line in its class. It comes complete with a footswitch for changing between the 2 channels and turning the onboard effects on and off. There are 2 channels, "clean" and "overdrive" and both have 2 modes, perfect if you don't have an effects chain. The "clean" modes are completely dry or mild (very Marshall sounding) distortion. This channel has a 3 band EQ and a gain knob. The "overdrive" modes are a lishter distortion or a very heavy distortion. This channel has a 3 band EQ, Gain, Contour and volume controls. The footswitch changes channels, not modes. This amp's got a wide range of holes to put cables into, including headphones (also "Emulated Line Out"), CD in (or line in) and Input (for your guitar) on the front. The back has an effects loop in and out, 2 outputs for speaker cabs, footswitch and power cable. You can adjust the level of the effects when you use the loop, but the loop takes away a lot of the sound that your effects give you, leaving you with a decayed sound (not in a good way) so I don't use it. The onboard effects to choose from are pretty good though, Theres not many budget amps that come complete with chorus, flange, delay and reverb (theres also a chorus/delay mix option) and remember you can switch them on or off with your footswitch. There's a problem with the headphone jack (design flaw, not broken) in that you can't adjust the volume, but i never use it anyway. Great for first time stack buyers! // 9

Sound: I use a Gibson Les Paul Custom with standard Gibson pickups and loads of mainly boss pedals and it sounds great! It comes with that classic unmistakable Marshall sound! I play a very wide range of styles, from heavy metal, to pop punk, to indiepop to new wave, and it's that versatile to suit my needs at home! It makes not much of that single coil feedback you get with teles or strats either but if you use it too loud, it struggles to keep your sound from decaying! The main annoyance is the stupidly loud processor fan, I can usually hear it from accross the room but if your playing, you wont hear it. You get a 3 band EQ on both channels so you can vary your sound, and both channels have 2 modes, so you can personalise it to your own style. The "Clean" channel is what it says it is, but if you press the OD button you get very light distortion (in that classic Marshall 'crunch' tone). The "Overdrive" channel is classic Marshall once again a milder distortion, but press the OD button for this channel and you get something that can make your ears bleed or perhaps reserect the devil himself! // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've giged with it a couple of times (I have a DSL100 and it gets used a lot more) and it's never failed me. I can take it to rehearsals and it's always working fine. Seeing as I drink on stage it's not surprising that I've dropped it and spilt things on it and nothing! Absolutely nothing went wrong with it! The footswitch, being Marshall, can take just as much crap too. For the guitarist who's just starting to gig, you cant ask for more! // 8

Overall Impression: Overall its a great choice. Its a versatile amp delivering 100watts of pure Marshall sound! But saying that, if it were stolen or I dropped it from the roof, it wouldn't be the end of the world! There are better amps out there, just not for this sort of cash. I wish I tested the headphone socket and the effects loop before I baught it. I love the on board effects and its outstanding value for money! If you want to tinker with stacks to see how they work, or just want something you can gig with for the first time, its a great package, but if you've been gigging for a while and had a few amps before, I'd look elsewhere! // 8

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: Mark-O1987666, on january 27, 2006

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I've only been playing guitar for just over a year and a half I think, anyways I was upgrading from my pathetic Fender FrontMan 15 or whatever you call it, and I saw this on Ebay, I thought 100watts would suffice for a while, whilst my band gets off it's ass. It's got 2 channels each with it's own distortion, plus the overdrive channel has a second mode of distortion, mainly for metal playing I guess. It has 4 built in effects too, chorus, delay, flange, and chorus/delay. This is a solidstate amp. // 8

Sound: OK, at the present I gots two guitars, my Jackson JS30DK Dinky; with Jackson CVR2 humbuckers, and my ESP LTS AX-50; soon with EMG 81's. I play ina metal type band, thrash/death metal style I'd say, so I mainly play with full distortion, and it sounds good for me, not absoloutely amazing, but good enough for some crushing riffs. However, if I want to play something a little less distorted, I can turn the second overdrive mode off for a pretty jazzy kind of distortion (not that, that gets used much). The clean channel sounds nice in conjunction with the flange effect, can write some nice tunes with those settings. I recently cracked this up to a quater of the max volume, and wow I was impressed, at firsrt I was expecting a horrible thumping kind of sound, but no, there was very little sound interference, this comes from the cabinet build quality though. I doubt even in a gig situation I'd need to pump this head higher than 25-50% of it's max. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I twatted this off the wall so many times when I was taking it up to my room, and it's still working fine, so I'd say it's pretty god damn durable. I'd trust it at a gig too, since its solidstate I wouldn't have to worry about valves burning out, only powerfailure or liquid spillage. // 10

Overall Impression: I really like it, I can see myself keeping it for a long time to come, and if my band gets anywhere, I'll be gigging with for a long time, even when I can afford a JCM900. If it was stolen however, I'd probably fork out for the JCM. // 9

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: cyclefreak207, on march 26, 2007

Features: I think that the amp was made in 2006 or 2007. The amp has really good features, clean channel: gain, bass, middle, treble, and (clean/crunch). There is a overdriven channel: gain, (OD1/OD2) bass, middle, treble, contour volume. Also it has digital fx, preset/adjust (chorus/delay, delay, chorus, flang, reverb, effects loop mix. Also master volume, and FDD (frequency dependent dampening). There is also the foot Switch, with a channel Switch, and FDX. It is a solid state amp. On the front there are also CD/MP3 in, and headphones out. // 10

Sound: I have a Jay Turser Telecaster copy. It has elixir 10s in it, that were from whoever I bought it from. I use this amp for practice and to jam with my friends. I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't pack some noise. It's noisy as hell, but with a great tone. The distortion is not unmanageable like most amplifiers, the clean channel sound good with distortion, as does the overdriven channel. I prefer to play with a reverb too. It makes it sound like I'm in an auditorium. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it, I would probably bet my life on it, I don't really "gig" per say, but I would definitely use it on stage, in front of an audience. It is not a tube amp so I don't worry about that. But I would definitely depend on it, I will hopefully use it on stage soon! // 10

Overall Impression: I don't own any other gear, and don't really think I need it. But if it were stolen, I would buy this same one. In fact, my friends were so impressed by it's power and sound, a dude I didn't know that well kinda tried to take it I guess, but it is heavy and he didn't make it far through my living room. I compared it with a Randall half stack, and a Fender half stack, but I decided on this one. I kind of wish it had more effects, but I can Live without, because it is great. Dog Matter, is the name of our band! // 10

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2010

Features: Surely everyone knows about this by now. This is a solid state, 2 channel, 100 Watt amp. It comes with a footswitch for channel selection and on/off button for the digital Effects. I am grading on a competitor's curve and am going to rate it based on what else is available in it's price range. The effects are pretty good compared to others. Not overwhelmingly good, but certainly respectable. I have no complaints about this part of the Amp. I am quite satisfied with it's range of features, and it's level of quality for them. // 8

Sound: I actually really enjoy playing through this. Every guitar I have likes this amp. I have two MIA strats, an '07 Strat Deluxe, a '90 HM2 strat (HSS) a MIA Tele, a Squier Jagmaster, a Squier Telecaster Custom (HH) and a few others. All of these guitars are stock, and I played every single one of my guitars on this amp. The amp loves humbuckers for the extra "hair" it drives into the signal path, and it really like the single coils of my Strats. It doesn't swallow the tones of guitars, and it leaves room to make each guitar sound the way it should. If you don't care for the ear-piercing icepick scream of a Fender, this amp will suit you well. It is well balanced and with it's onboard EQ you can dial it in for any guitar (that I have plugged into it anyway). This was the sole reason I got this line amp. This is a MASSIVE bang-for-your-buck tone. If I could get Fender's bell tones out of this, I can't see any reason to own another amp. - Unless you read on to my only complaint with this amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The big one. I am on my third MG series amp. I started off with an MG50, it was a display unit, and had some cosmetic issues, but I got it cheap. It ended up with a bad board in it. Things would pop and crack at random intervals. It went back and got traded for an MG250. This was the best of the three I had. This amp worked flawlessly except for a loose input jack. It would make static noises when the cord moved. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have fixed this on my own, and kept it. Instead, I took it back and got the MG100HDFX and a cab. Now I have it boxed up and it's going back. This time I called Korg, they say it's a bad output transformer. It powers on, sometimes works for about 3 minutes then does a 2 second fade to silence. I cannot in good Faith recommend any of the MG line of amps. An amp that doesn't work makes every feature and price line irrelevant. I wish it worked, I like the amp. Anyone wanting a cheap Marshall should try the new Class 5. It's in the same priceline and hopefully much more reliable than the MG series has been for me. There's a reason there are so many MGs are for sale. I don't know why there's not many people complaining about these, but I know all too well that there is a HUGE Quality Control problem on this Vietnamese made amps. The company did the right the thing, just the wrong way by trying to make entry level Marshall amps. If I could rate this a zero, I would because all 3 of mine had at least one issue and two of them were so bad, they were useless. // 1

Overall Impression: I mostly play blues. I do some classic rock stuff and a bit of grunge. This amp, when it works, can handle all of this with room to spare. A neck pickup setting on crunch mode with the gain at noon on the dial loves a strat. Humbuckers sound great dialed back a bit on the guitar. I have a couple other amps that I have to fall back on (thank goodness) or I'd be on my way back to take this thing back right now. Despite the fact that the snow makes this a treacherous endeavor. I'd be a million times more brutally honest about how I really feel if this was my only amp. The moral of the story is this. If Marshall made the best amps in the world, for about $350 but it didn't work after 2 hours of playing it, is it worth it? (to be fair, the average lifespan on mine was 3 weeks) If you buy one despite the fact that I have had such horrible luck with them, for Pete's sake, save the receipt. Fill out and send in the warranty card just to cover you own arsenal. This is the only amp I hate to love. I am going to be getting rid of it as soon as it gets back. I just can't be the battered wife anymore. I have to move on to another amp, even though I'd love to think the next one will be "the one". // 1

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 20, 2005

Features: I have just recently purchased this amp as my first big amp because I'm just starting having gigs. It has two channels, footswitchable. A headphone input, CD in (so you can rock along to your favourite tunes). It's A solid state head with an fdd button which Marshall say imitates the sound of a valve amp, To be honest I can't hear the diffrence. // 10

Sound: At the Minute I'm using a Yamaha Pacifica for rock styles mainly as it has 2 distortion modes od1/od2, I am impressed with the volume of it I am using the head with a angled 4 x 12 cab and the volume is unbleeivable! The clean channel is very high quality it is good when electro-accostics are plugged in it doesnt distort them. The distortion is either very beefy or more mild and bluesy your choice! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd say this amp is very dependable I would use it at a gig without backup. It has never broken down. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock/heavy metal, this amp is perfect for that. I have been playing 3 years and I own a Laney hardcore max practice amp and a Yahama Pacifica and a few acoustics. If It were stolen I'd get another one of these. If I Had the money I would buy a straight 4x12 cab to make it a full stack! // 10

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: LustGarden, on december 04, 2006

Purchased from: Dunham's Music

Features: I think this is a 2006 head. I purchased it with the 400w Peavy Valveking cab. I play mostly blues rock and hard rock and I've found that this amp is pretty versatile and is very good for what I play. I never use the OD1 channel, it just seems pointless. the OD2 channel however is very good. I've played a couple gigs with this amp and it has more than enough power. The only thing that pisses me off about this amp is that the fan sometimes makes a loud grinding noise for about 10 seconds when I first turn it on. It doesn't effect the sound, but it is annoying. // 8

Sound: The sound is very good. The clean channel is excellent and doesnt't break up or sound muddy when it is turned at high volumes. My main guitar is a Fender Standard Telecaster and they sound good together there is feedback but it's just the stock pickups on the Telecaster. The good sound probably somewhat has to do with me using the Peavy Valveking cab instead of the Marshall. The head sounds very good with the cab. The distortion on this amp is pretty good. A lot of people say it isn't enough, but I have a feeling these are the kinds of people that like to hide behind a huge wall of distortion and noise. The distortion is warm, and sounds very good. I especially like the reverb on this amp. The other effects are pretty good too. I don't use a lot of effects, but it's good to have them. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used this in a couple gigs and it hasn't failed me yet. It's very reliable. As far as durability, I'm careful with my equipment so it hasn't taken any hard hits, but I'm guessing that the fan will be screwed if the head falls off the cab or something. Amp has never broken down, but I would like to know what causes that awful buzzing noise from the fan. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall this is a very good amp for Blues Rock, so it's perfect for me. You can't really get that much of a metal distortion from this thing, but there are pedals for that. If this were stolen or lost, I would have to buy another one but it would cost almost twice as much as I paid for this, because I got both the head and the cab, brand new, for only 300 at a closeout sale at Dunham's Music. My favorite feature on this amp is the clean channel at high volumes. It sounds so good and it doesnt't break up or anything. But cranking the distortion up, setting the reverb up a little bit, and burning the house down with a wah-soaked solo is another favorite. // 9

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2007

Purchased from: williams guitar shop

Features: The features of this amp are awesome. I play mostly heavy metal and it sounds great through my Marshall. I has 4 channel: clean; crunch; overdrive 1 and overdrive 2. I don't really use OD1 as it isnt really my sound but OD2 is awesome for metal; punk ect. The crunch I don't really use either as it isnt the style of music I play but the clean channel is great and can be used for a lot of music styles. There are also equalizers for each channel: on clean there are gain; bass; middle and treble and on od there are gain; bass; middle; treble; contour and OD volume. The last of the features are the digital fx. There are 5 preset effects: chorus/delay; delay; chorus; flange and reverb. There is also an effects loop mix and a free footswitch to turn the dfx on and off and to change channels. Unfortunatly it doesn't turn off the reverb as the reverb level is seperate to the FX levels. // 9

Sound: I am using a Westfield E8000E Explorer guitar which is a decent guitar with decent pick ups and the Marshall makes it sound brilliant like it is a Gibson (bit exageration). It suits my style of metal because it's loud, sounds great a looks awesome. I haven't giged it yet but am going to very soon. It's really loud! It's being on half way max and that's probably loud enough to play a large pub gig and make everyone deaf. The amp has a large variety of sounds from blues and classical to rock and metal and it sounds brilliant for all types of music. The clean channel sounds brilliant at all levels and the distortion is brutal enough to rip your head off and put it on upside down! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can't really say as it's never been gigged and I've only had the amp for a short time but I've asked people I know Who own this amp and they say they've had there's for 1-2 years and it still sounds great and has never failed them. I hope the amp will last a a long time and I'm pretty sure I wont need a backup amp when I eventually do gigs this year. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is absolutely awesome for all styles of music, I've been playing for 3 years now and know quite a few styles and playing them on this amp they sound brilliant. if it was stolen I would either buy this amp again or get a dsl head from the Marshall range as they are probably the best amps in the world. I love everything about this amp apart from not having a footswitch to turn the reverb off because that is soooo annoying. If there was anything this amp could have to make it better it would be more preset effects and a reverb footswitch and that would be about it. // 10

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: grungefan89, on april 30, 2007

Purchased from: GO Music

Features: I purchased my Marshall MG100 Half-Stack used, badly needing an upgrade from the small, practice-level Fender amp I was soldiering on with. Both the MG412 cab and the head were made in early 2003. The MG Half-Stack comes with a clean/crunch channel and another OD1/OD2 channel, as well as built-in effects (delay/chorus, delay, chorus, and flanger, as well as reverb). There is also Valvestate-type emulation with the FDD button on this amp, which gives just a little more "ooomph" to the clean channel. I find that this half-stack has the power I'm looking for as a guitarist Who plays mostly metal, hardcore, progressive, and alternative and also as a guitarist in a band preparing to enter gigs, etc. This particular MG100 stack has a great tone when you play it clean and acceptable tone with the OD2 channel, both channels actually being much better than the few MGs I've played in the past in shops. However, as with those other MGs, I find the Crunch and OD1 channels are useless nevertheless, providing horrible, muddy tone not much better than the Frontman amp I had to use previously to my purchase of this used amp. Use of these channels are best avoided entirely. The built-in effects are very nice, though I'm partial to the delay effect myself. The effects aren't actually half bad. As with the entire MG-Series line, though, the sound tends to be less authentic Marshall. Put any MG in front of a AVT or JCM, or even the VS that the MG-Series replaced, and you'll savor the chance to buy at least the head unit from any of those other series. The Marshall patina is there, just not in the very high doses that you'd expect. // 7

Sound: I use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard/Classic of the same year as this stack (2003) loaded with Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky.12 gauge strings, which suits what I play and my playing style quite well. I also keep an '02 Fender Strat close at hand as well, loaded with.11 gauge strings also from Ernie Ball, for some playing with a clean channel, blues, or leads. The only time you can get "negative feedback" (or just a lot of static-type noise when you're not playing anything) is when you use a single-coil equipped guitar, but that has to do with the single-coil pickups and not the amp itself. However, the fan that keeps the head cool on mine does tend to be very noisy when you first Switch the amp on. It's a mere niggling complaint though, albeit very annoying. As I said earlier, the amp has great tone on the clean channel which doesn't really distort any any volume and acceptable tone using the OD2 overdrive channel. The Crunch and OD1 channels have less than acceptable, muddy, can I say "cheap" tone and they are best not used. Overall, the distortion has backbone, but no balls, if I make any sense. However, if you really want a nice, distorted, crunchy tone, buy a Boss DS-1, Metal Core, EHX Metal Muff or any other distortion-type pedal and click it on through the clean channel. That should provide a nice, clear, distorted sound suitable for whatever you want to play, depending on the settings. For the price I paid though, the tone overall is nice. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Could I depend on my MG half-stack? Why of course. This amp is sturdy as a lead brick and I could use this at any upcoming gig without a backup. A plus to the MG-Series, or any other solid state-type amp as far as that goes, is that they can hold up to extreme amounts of punishment. My MG hasn't broken down so far and it probably won't if I hold up my end and take good care of my equipment. // 8

Overall Impression: For playing metal, hardcore, alt., and the other styles of rock I play, this amp tends to be a good match. I've been playing for almost six years now so I'm not terribly experienced, but I'm not exactly a beginner either. I also own a garden variety of what you would call cheap guitars, I have a Squier Strat and a Telecaster Special which are my back-up guitars to my Les Paul and Fender Strat. When I bought my amp I just wish I could have listened to the cooling fan and asked what was up with it (I think it's just a quirk, though, since I've heard that MG just have noisy cooling fans in different reviews on different sites). If this amp vanished, were stolen, set on fire, hit by a Mack truck, shot in a Drive-by, blown up by Johnny Knoxville and the Jackass crew, or mauled in some freak accident featured on Scarred, I don't know if I would go for another MG half-stack, as I wouldn't pay the price for one of these puppies brand-new. These amps are better off purchased as used equipment or in blowout sale where the price is brought down to the three-hundred dollar and below mark. I love the clean tone, however, it's not as bad as most people make it out to be and is much better than other MGs I've had the (dis)honor of playing. Whoever had this half-stack before me must have a good ear and played a few others MGs before settling on it. As I said before, I loathe the Crunch and OD1 channels, as well as the noisy cooling fan. The effects are a nice feature, although I fail to find a favorite feature on this amp. I played my used MG stack against a Randall half-stack and a Line6 Spider II half-stack. The MG was the better amp out of the three hands down (for those Who hate the MG half-stack, play a Spider II: they're probably the worst half-stack out there). This amp is going to have to last me a pretty damn long time until I can get a Mesa Boogie Rectifier. // 7

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 05, 2007

Purchased from: Long & Mcquade

Features: I believe it was made in 2006-2007, one of the newer half stacks from Marshall. The amp is very flexible, you can go from classic soft gain to some hot, raw crunch tone. The distortion itself is not so good for metal, more of a hard rock/classic rock amp. It has two channels, clean and overdrive. Then you have the whole effects section, which comes with a lot of fun effects and a seperate reverb knob. The amp is pretty good, it gets room-loud at about 2-3 volume, it's a fairly simple amp, a volume knob for each Drive. It is a solid-state half-stack, but sounds incredibly tube-like. What this amp needs is two seperate portions in the overdrive channel, so you can have a preset for classic rock, and then with a footswitch or whatever, you can change to crunch. What it needs is a standby Switch, so every time you don't need to wait for the fan to start up, which takes like 5 minutes to quiet down. // 9

Sound: I am using an modified Epiphone G-400 Korina, with a Seymour Duncan SH-4 Humbucker in the Treble pickup slot. Nothing else, just guitar & amp. The amp suits my music style very much, because of its famous crunch and classic gain, I fell in love with the amp after playing a few riffs on it. The amp is not that noisy, if you really stick your ear at the cabinet, you'll hear a little bit of hum, but it wouldn't bug you at all. The amp can make a lot of tones, you can go from crunchy soft rock to some deep long soft rock, to some raw-ass crunch and such. The distortion is good for me, I'm not a guy that cranks the gain to full, so it wouldn't matter for how brutal the distortion would be, the gain sounds great at low distortion and mid. The amp sounds very solid, and full. Balanced in smoothness and crunch. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think it's pretty reliable, I played it for 5 hours straight and nothing really happened or changed. I would definetly use it in a gig without a backup, because the amp works and sounds great! The amp has never broken down, why would it? I just bought it recently. // 10

Overall Impression: I really like this half-stack. And for its price, it's hard to not fall in love with it. The amp is a incredible match for my style of playing, it is flexible enough to reach the tones of my hard rock licking riffs, and then my soft classic rock stuff. If I lost this amp, or it broken down, and I did not have the budget to get an expensive Marshall, I would get this amp again. It's a very good half stack for its quality to price ratio. I don't like how it only has a clean and overdrive channel, and nothing else in the clean and overdrive channel. I also wish they had a standby Switch, it's just good when you plan to take a break after jamming for a while. Overall, this is a very good amp from Marshall, it's almost as good as the 2000$ half-stacks. // 9

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: sektor47, on november 14, 2007

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: The amp is very versatile, extremely versatile, yet keeping its original Marshall sound quality. I play classic rock, blues, and hard rock, and the amp can reach all of them tones with no problem! 2 channels, with 2 positions on each. Comes with chorus, delay, and flanger. The digital reverb knob is seperate from the effects. I wish the amp had a standby switch, so when you go to get something, or go on a break, no need to turn off the amp, just standby! I never really use the crunch on the clean channel, cause when you turn it up, it gets a bit too distorted for the natural warm clean crunch. I use this amp in my dining room, in my house. Of course it has enough power for me! 120 Watts of Marshall quality, can't get better than that. Solid-state half-stack, yet still sounding like a real tube-amp. // 9

Sound: I am using a modified Epiphone G-400 Korina with it, and it just sounds beautiful. Nice and smooth, warm clean sound, warm classic gain sound, face-licking raw crunch, just beautiful! The amp is quite hummy on high gain, but I think that's because of my guitar, somethings wrong with the pickups. The amp sounds great when it's cranked, keeps it's original sound quality, but sounds better when cranked! The distortion can be brutal, just know how to set your knobs and you can get some face-licking ball-kicking gain. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on it, nothing has happened that is bad yet. No crackling noises, fan is nice and quiet every time, no pops. I play it for many hours, and the head stays nice and cool, the fan is working properly. I haven't taken it apart yet to see what's inside, but right now, it doesn't need to be taken apart yet. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is awesome. I recommend it to anyone past beginner level in guitar. The amp is pretty simple to use, I just wish it came with a standby Switch, really useful. I love the sound that comes out of it, sounds so solid, full, smooth. I compared the half-stack to a Marshall JCM2000, Vintage Modern, and it can compete! For 723$, it's a great budget half-stack, that sounds like a Marshall tube-amp! // 10

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: marko1000, on november 19, 2007

Features: Marshall MG100HDFX head is a lot more versatile. It is a 2 channel head that you can Switch between with a foot Switch pedal. It has a headphone jack, and an input for a CD. It has a few effects that saved me the trouble of getting pedals. Like reverb, flange, and chorus. I play grunge/metal/hardcore/acoustic all kind of put together on this amp. And it is more than capable of doing this. It has more than enough power than what I know what to do with. Because if we end up playing shows I know people with full stacks that I can use. // 10

Sound: I use an ESP KH-202 with EMG LH-300 pickups, and the style I play is mostly heavy metal, hardcore, death metal, rock. It has the best tone, has the grunt and brutality of the overdrive. has a most chunkier sound! At almost halfway through the dial of the volume, is very very loud and I hardly get any feedback at all and humming, perfect. This amp has a very nice warm clean tone to it, overdrive 1 and 2, and crunch for those people that play old school rock. The distortion I am most of a fan about, my friend has a Randall G2 RH200 head, and when we were jamming today, the MG100HDFX kills it with the beefiness of the distortion compared to the Randall. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd definitely use this to gig with, it has the clarity and Precision and tone and power I need for it. I would never neglect this amp, I've been playing everday with this amp, and never been disappointed. This amp I will use for many years and never throw it away or sell it. this amp has been with me for 3 years of constant jamming with it with my mates and at school. this amp cen keep up with any thing for such a small price to pay too! the amp is built like a truck and does not have any chips or scratches, still Brand New out of the box condition. // 10

Overall Impression: This head has everything you need to play with, whatever style of music you play, buy this amp. I've been playing 3 years now and this solid state amp almost mimics a all valve amp which is amazing. I'd definately buy this amp again if it were to be stolen or lost. My favourite feature of this amp is the delay and re verb for those clean tones. And also the beautiful overdrive. I love everything about it. // 10

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: sektor47, on january 26, 2008

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: This amp was made actually pretty recent. Both the head and cabinet was made in 2007. This amp is VERY versatile. It's great at achieving many different tones. You can have bright clean tones, mild dirty blues tone, dirty blues tone, classic rock tone, hard rock tone, metal tone. The MG100HDFX achieves them darn well keeping good sound quality. The amp has 2 channels, clean & overdrive. On each of the channels, includes 2 secondary channel options, clean/crunch, and OD1/OD2. It comes with a footswitch for channel and effects. The amp has decent multi-effects. Delay, Chorus and Flanger. Also has a seperate digital reverb knob. There is a headphone jack for if you want to jam at home being quiet. I wish this amp had a Standby Switch. I am known to leave my amp running when I take long breaks, etc, and a standby Switch really comes in handy! I really don't use effects that much, unless I'm experimenting or doing a cover that requires effects to be used. I use this amp as my primary amp, in every situation. This amp is a powerhouse of power! I've already cranked it to full and it is loud enough for slightly larger stages, etc. // 8

Sound: I am using an Epiphone Korina SG with this half-stack. This amp supports my music style best, and it supports all music styles pretty darn well. The amp gets a bit of hum as you turn it louder. There is a bit of hum when you turn up the gain, and it's even worse when there is lighting around, etc. This amp can make a lot of sounds. You can go from tones such as, nice ringing bright soothing cleans, soft fuzzy blues, soft classic crunch blues, classic crunch, crunch, raw crunch, hard rocking crunch, metal crunch, metal, deeep leads. The amp has a lot of variety. I can reach some AC/DC tones preferably well, some Led Zeppelin tones, etc. The interaction between the channel volume and master volume knob is incredibly realistic. If you have low channel volume, and higher master volume on the clean channel, the tone stays nice and clean, but if you Switch it around, clean channel volume at full and master volume low, the channel distorts like a real tube amp. If you have the clean channel on full with master on full, you have fairly high speaker distortion! I am not so sure about the overdrive channel, I can't really tell the difference. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's been reliability tested AND durability tested. I've jammed for countless power hours many times with the amp on full, I've stood on it while jamming, I've driven it around, so this amp WILL stand up to most things! I would use this amp on a gig without a backup, because my backup would be a low quality 25 watter! The amp has never broken down, I have never had a problem with it at all except for sometimes when you roll the clean channel volume knob, there's a scratchy sound coming from the speakers. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly blues, classic rock, and hard rock, and this amp DEFINITLY fits all three styles. I have been playing guitar for 3 years now. I own an Epiphone Korina SG, Marshall MG100HDFX half-stack, Epiphone DR-100 Acoustic, Fender Frontman 25R, and a Squier SP-10. Not at all, I do not regret buying this amp! If it was stolen / lost, I would probably look and see if any amps have dropped into the same price range as this one, if not, I would rebuy this amp! I love the tone, the looks, the feel of this amp. I hate how there is no standby Switch, and how there is little holds for the head to go exactly into place. My favourite feature, is master volume, it really lets you balance out your clean channel and overdrive channel when you go to footswitch it out. I compared it to many amps, including the Vintage Modern. It can compete with the Vintage Modern, but to be 1/3 the price of the Vintage Modern, I only had the money to get the MG half-stack. // 8

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: spunkeymonkey36, on april 14, 2008

Purchased from: ebay

Features: The MG100HDFX is a solidstate amplifier that has a lot to offer to it's user. It has many features even if some are pointless however. The good features are the overdrive settings, the sound effects, and the clean setting option and the footswitch. The headphone jack is okay if you want to connect it to a recording system, but I haven't tried this and using headphones on a 100W amp seems a bit silly. The bad and pointless features are the CD in jack, the digital enhancer thing (FDD) and the effects loop which doesn't make much difference to the sound. Also comes with a bass, middle, treble and contour setting which is expected and they perform quite well. Some of the features could be left out because it seems all they do is raise the price of the amplifier. // 6

Sound: This amplifier can make a good sound but it has it flaws. The overdrive is good when turned up to the max so it's great for metal players. The midway overdrive settings are good for classic rock players. For blues players a decent sound can be achieved with low settings of overdrive. The tone is average on overdrive on low volumes and if often hollow and does not sustain long notes. I'm sure this is the amp and not the guitar as I have other amps which perform much better at these levels. Once the amp is cranked in a large hall this is where it out performs itself. The tone suddenly gets much better and beefier. Playing chords on it does sound muddy but it's okay. Unfortunatley where the sound does fall down is the clean setting is not so good. I've had the amp for about a year now and it's started to fuzz on teh clean setting at low volumes. Also it has a pointless gain setting on the clean which does nothing but feedback at high volume and add price to the amp. Another pointless feature is the digital enhancer which is also rubbish because the amp is useles unless it is turned on so you may as well cellotape it to the on setting when you get it. The effects are also good and are fun to play with especially the reverb and it doesn't sound cheesy. A rather good thing about this amp is the volume which can play comfortably high on the overdrive setting. What I would change however is the A BIS MAL cabinet that is recommended my Marshall, the mg412. I beleive this is the main cause for many of the amps get rid of this and spend a bit more money and buy a real cabinet and this will play a lot better. Overall it's okay, if you spend 200 on a head then buy this, you'll be happy. Remember though it's not a JCM. // 8

Reliability & Durability: So far this hasn't broken down yet even if it has been bashed around quite a bit. It seems pretty tough when handling it and I can't see it breaking anytime soon. The build quality is quite good as well. If I had the choice I would play with a backup amp Live, but I don't have the money. // 9

Overall Impression: I like this Marshall amplifier. It does have it's bad points but it's expected for the price paid and sounds great if played in a room with good acoustics. It looks quite nice as well with the whole black and gold and Marshall logo. I wouldn't buy this amp again and would perhaps go for one with tubes and overall a higher spec. Paying a little more would be worth it. I guess if Marshall were to sort out all of the problems of the MG100HDFX then this would be a great amp, but it's not: it's only good. // 7

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: jo3myster, on june 30, 2008

Features: This amps features are pretty nice. The FX loop is a pretty nice bonus.Its got two channels, Clean and Over Drive. On each channel there is a button you can press that will add more Drive. So if your on clean and you want a little crunch press that button and there you go. If your on overdrive channel press that button and you'll go from overdrive to distortion. This thing also has some built in effects. It's got Delay, Chorus, Flanger, Delay Chorus, and reverb. It also comes with a two button foot controller so you can turn on the selected effect with the controller or Switch channels with the other button. This amp is good enough for now but as soon as I get enough money for an Orange stack this thing is gone! // 7

Sound: I'm constantly kicking my self in the head for buying this amp. I bought this before I knew what the difference between tube and solid state was, big mistake. As of right now I am using an Epiphone G-400 with Seymour Duncans(JB-4 and Jazz) and an Ibanez RG series. Then for pedals I have Dunlop 535Q Wah-Wah, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi. Through my FX loop I got an DigiTech RP80 and a Boss AC-3 Acoustic Simulator. With all of this I play a lot of Metal, Blues, Hardcore, Progressive type music. (Anything but country) This amp barely satisfies my needs tone wise. I can hardly ever get an exceptable tone out of it. And don't bother turning this thing past 7 8ish type area it sounds terrible. Not that it is necisary for me to do that cause this thing sure is loud enough to play over my bros drums but if you need something real loud this is something to take into consideration. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This amp is deffinatly durable and reliable. I've had this amp for about six months now and it has never broken before and I've never had any problems with it not working properly. I take pretty good care of my stuff, but even if I didn't I'm sure this thing would still last. But if I had a gig or something of that nature, this amp would be my backup amp if I had another better amp but I don't. But if I did gig with this amp I would bring a backup because I'd rather be prepaired but I don't think I would need a backup. So all in all I think you can trust this amp for a while. // 8

Overall Impression: I have only been playing guitar for a little over a year now and I've had this amp for about half of that time. This amp is good for a starter stack, but if your an experienced guitarist or in a serous band don't buy this amp. Save up for a tube amp, I myself plan on buying an Orange half stack after I get enough money. This thing will just help get you started out with a band, it's good for just jamming with your buddies. If I lost this amp or it got stolen I would just save up for a tube half stack, preferably an Orange. // 7

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: drake-182, on july 07, 2008

Purchased from: Nevada Music

Features: I purchased my MG100HDFX approximately 8 months ago, from Nevada Music in Portsmouth. It has 2 channels, each with 2 different distortion levels. The clean channel, is what it says it is, no distortion, and it is paired with the crunch channel, which has a little distortion. The overdrive channel has OD1, which is more of a classic rock style distortion, and OD2, which is a very high gain distortion, which has added high and low end. It has a headphone/line out jack, which I find very useful, and was pleasantly surprised as to the quality of the output for recording! It also has CD-in, which I've never used, and a Frequency Dependent Dampening Switch, which effectively emulates tube amps, it's useful if using a cabinet, not useful if using line out. It has a built-in digital FX circuit, and an FX loop. You can use one of 4 different effects (chorus, delay, chorus/delay and flange), as well as the reverb at any one time. There is also an FX level knob, and a reverb level knob. // 8

Sound: I play my MG100HDFX through a Marshall AVT 4x12 200w cabinet. I chose to get the AVT cabinet over the standard MG cabinet due to the better response over the entire sound spectrum that you get from the AVT cabinet. I would avoid the standard MG cabinets if you can afford the extra 90 for the AVT cabinet. I play an Epiphone Les Paul Junior, fitted with a Seymour Duncan Invader humbucking pickup in the bridge position. I find that I can almost completely replicate Tom DeLonge's Live sound using this setup, and this amp's OD2 channel is great for all types of Pop-Punk and some metal (e.g. Lamb Of God). I use the OD2 channel mainly, with gain at 7, bass at 6, mids at 8, treble at 7, and contour at 4. I love the sound that these settings give me. When using the clean channel, I must be sure to turn down the volume on my guitar, due to the slightly too high gain that this amp has on that channel. You can however get a very nice tone from it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would certainly rely on this amp, It has been dropped getting out of a car 3 or 4 times, and still sounds the same as it did the day I bought it. This head is used for bedroom practice, rehearsals, and at local venues. I have had many people Who stuck there noses up at this amp due to the solid-state nature, but after hearing it were actually pleasantly surprised. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for nearly 3 years now, and I feel that this amp is perfect for someone of my playing experience. If you have been playing for more than 5 years I would recommend taking a long jump up the price range to the TSL or JCM series of Marshall amps. I mixed and matched all of the Sub-300 (I had a 500 budget to get a stack with) heads and cabinets at Nevada Music in Portsmouth, and came to the conclusion that using the AVT412 200w cabinets with the MG100HDFX head makes a really good sound. I would recommend trying this head with many different cabinets before buying it, some of the cabinets that I tried were very poor. I would definitely recommend this head, aslong it is matched with a good cabinet. // 9

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: ESP^Guitarist, on july 14, 2008

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

Features: Marshall Amps were made for the "everyday musicians" and the "unique" guitarists. It has 3 channels which features clean, overdrive, and digital FX channels. It comes with a footswitch for toggling with Clean and Overdrive channels. While the overdrive channel wins for the most knobs and sound control, the digital FX takes the gold for the best overall sound changes and effects. This amp couldn't be more versitle and giving sound wise. It has been the loudest but takes your hearing to a heaven it could never imagine! // 9

Sound: I'm using an Alexi Laiho 200 Signature with Floyd Rose trembelo system pickups. It takes me to a new place of quality sounds I thought I would never find in an amp. It only takes it up to "2" on the master volume knob to have home practicing. Louder than 2 and you have a real beast! This amp has the variety equivilent to CD shop, unlimited. The clean channel is only distorted if you have it on the "clean/crunch" setting. Other than that, it is asclean as clean gets. The distortion is the most hardcore distortion I've ever heard. It gives you a "death metal" sound while having enough cleaness to where you can hear what you're playing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on this amp anywhere and everywhere I could go as of shows. I trust this amp with my life. It might just be the most durable amp I've ever owned! I've never had an amp that hasn't broken down or has been short-circuted. I also am impressed with the move weight and how easily I can move it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly hardcore/screamo with a twist of metal. This amp gave me the versatility to play this genre. I've only been playing about 2 years but my friends and family say I could be famous at a young age if I wanted to. If my amp were ever to be broken or stolen I would go right back and purchase the same model and brand because I have fell in love with my Marshall. My favorite feature of this amp is the overdrive channel. It has given me a new outlook on sounds and amp can give. I compare it with the so called best-of-the-best amp, Krank. In my opinion, I think Marshall has a better sound quality and sounds better in gigs. There is nothing I could want or change on this amp. Very close to perfection. // 10

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: Th6r6a6sH, on july 15, 2008

Features: This amplifier is a 2007, 100-watt, solid-state model, consisting of 2 channels, clean and overdrive, with a crunch button on the clean channel, and an OD1/OD2 (overdrive) Switch on the overdrive channel. A 3-band EQ and gain control exist on either channel, but the overdrive channel adds a Contour knob and overdrive volume knob to that channel. A footswitch jack for channel switching and onboard effects activation is located on the back panel, alongside the parallel effects jacks (send & return), and the two external speaker jacks. Four separate effects when activated, effect both channels: chorus w/ delay, delay, chorus, and flange can be achieved by an effect selection knob (limited fine tuning abilities, as there is only a small space to rotate knob before changing the effect), activated by footswitch only, and a global effect volume determines the overall volume of the engaged effect, while a separate Reverb knob (non-footswitchable) controls the global Reverb Effect. On the front panel a 1/4' CD input jack is supplied for play-along practice, right next to a 1/4' emulated line-out/headphone jack for silent practice. To date, I have used this amp in practice situations, such as rehearsal in a garage or band classroom, and school auditoriums for a live performance, and this amplifier has supplied quite enough power for either venue. // 7

Sound: Currently I run a Squier Stagemaster H/S/H model with stock pickups through this amp, and have never had much trouble with things like feedback and gain levels that couldn't be controlled by moving away. My style is influenced by a fair amount of classic Thrash metal like Puppets-era Metallica, Rust In Peace-era Megadeth, but isn't limited to blues-rock styles like Guns N' Roses and Stevie Ray Vaughan, and I've found that with the right amount of patience, the right ear, and a few knob tweaks here and there, any sound I desire can be replicated efficiently. From bright clean and bluesy Drive on just the clean setting alone, a wide array of tones can be heard that don't distort much at a. The crunch switch engages a gritty AC/DC type growl, but the gain knob doesn't do much to control the level of distortion. The overdrive channel has two very gritty settings, OD1 being the lower gain overdrive, that at a low gain setting sort of picks up where a maxed-gain clean left off in terms of distortion. Great for single-coil drive without much hum. OD2 is a higher gain stage that, at a low gain setting, picks up where a maxed out OD1 setting left off. A Maxed out setting lends an intense distort the classic metal fans would enjoy, but it's not too brutal. The contour knob modifies the midrange to make the amp sound more midrangey when turned down, and more scooped when dialed up, and this helps greatly when searching for a razor-edged tone. All in all, a wide variety of tones can be achieved with patience and a good ear. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amplifier has never given me any trouble live or in a practice situation. I have treated it with the utmost care I could, and I expect this amp to deliver as much as I put into it because of that. I have had a few spills with this amp, it was knocked over, dropped twice, and had a few beverages spilled on it, but never once have I run into an instance where I thought I might need to replace the head. Durable, yes, Reliable, Yes. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm well-known around my school as "that rock dude" who plays hard rock often. The black and gold cosmetics from Marshall are synonymous with a Rock image, and I've found that to my advantage when playing for a large congregation. In my Four years playing through cheap guitars and inexpensive practice amps, I've come to appreciate what this amp has done for me. I've even named the thing, I appreciate it so much, and if someone were to ever steal it, I would have to get after them with a blowtorch and pair of pliers for taking something dear to me like this amp. I love the classic look of Marshall and even though this isn't a tube driven amp, I use it like the best piece of equipment in the world. I'm not so big into effects, so iI admire this relatively simple setup. // 9

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: Johansensan, on july 19, 2008

Features: I got this amp for Christmas this past year, Brand New. I have the recomended MG412A cab along with it. It has 2 channels with 2 options for each channel. The clean channel offers a crunch option that I've never really had a use for. The overdrive channel has OD1 and OD2. My understanding is that the OD1 is built like a solid state amp should sound (this amp is solid state). The OD2 is designed to mimic a tube amp and 1-ups pretty much everything the OD1 option can offer. The amp has built in effects, reverb, chorus, delay, flanger, and chorus+delay. It comes with a footswitch that lets you Switch between clean and overdrive and turn the effects on and off. I use this at home nonstop. I never take it higher than 5 and I usually wear protective headphones when I do. The amp is a bit smaller than most cabs/heads because it is built for the halfstack package. Also the controls are on the top of the head rather than the bottom which makes it easier to adjust with 1 cab but could be difficult with 2. // 9

Sound: I run an LTD EX-400 through this 99% of the time but I'll sometimes use my Dean Michael Schenker Standard. I play metal (mostly Metallica) and this amp definatly does the job. My house has amazing acoustics, you can hear a normal conversation downstairs from the upstairs so this amp gets boosted a lot from that. There's no feedback from the amp until you get up to about 7. I've gotten up there once just to see how loud it was and the feedback was unbearable. The amp can go anywhere from blusey to metal, to classic rock, pretty much anywhere. using active pickups the clean channel gets distorted very easily which is annoying but using the Dean it usually is fine. The distortion is pretty heavy, I play with the bass on 9 or 10 which is pretty low but it's not quite low enough for me, the bass needs to be a bit lower and darker but other than that everythings pretty nice. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very light. The head weights 30lb which is incredebly light for an amp which some say means the amp isnt worth getting. I think it works fine. I heard that after being on for long periods of time the fan starts to fail and it smokes a little but I haven't had that happen to me. I've had this for I guess almost 7 months and I've yet to have a problem with it. The amp seems very durable and I've seen it used for gigs and it's worked fine. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a pretty good match for someone Who plays metal or hardrock, or really anything. I like my bass super low which kind of upsets me. This is my first head and cabnet so I don't have much to compare this to but it's good enough for me. If someone took the amp I'd be upset about it and I'd probably get it again, unless I was told money isnt an option. this is definatly worth the price. I love the nice price, huge volume, and the built-in effects but again, I'd like to have deeper bass tones and a longer cable for the footswitch. // 8

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on december 05, 2008

Purchased from: Local Shop

Features: I got this amp over a year ago from a local shop that we go to a lot. This amp is fairly versatile, and I've used it from punk to metal. It has two channels that are footswitchable. However, there is a crunch setting on the clean channel and 2 different overdrive settings on the overdrive channel, so it pretty much has 4 channels. It also has an effects loop and headphone jack. I have used this amp many times Live, and I have the full stack version. You will never really need this, especially since most places have a house PA and you will just mic into that. // 9

Sound: I have many different guitars that I've used with this amp, with both active and passive pickups. The amp does get a little noisy at high volumes, which is expected with most solid states. Like I said above, you should never need it this loud if you can mic it. The distortion leaves a lot to be desired. I use a stompbox to get the best distortion from it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used this amp many times Live with out a backup without a single problem. I have had this amp for well over a year now without any glitches. The amp seems fairly durable. The cabs are kind of cheap though, they have plastic handles. For what I paid for this amp used, I have nothing to complain about. // 9

Overall Impression: Perfect amp for metal, and the cleans are pretty good for being a solid state. I've been playing guitar for a few years now, and I've owned a couple of other amps. Crate Blue Voodoo, Peavey Windsor, and a Line 6 practice amp. If this were lost or stolen, I would probably buy another one, especially at this price; even though I mainly use it as a back up now. The only thing I wish it had was better distortion, other than that I really can't complain. This model gets a lot of hate from people, and it may not be worth what the new price is. But if you get it used like I did, I think it's a very nice amp. // 10

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: MattRemmel, on december 12, 2008

Purchased from: Samash

Features: I bought this amp cause I needed to upgrade from the 15 watt amp I had been using. I bought it as a combo with a 120 watt cabinet. The amp works with all types of music... I even pug a mic into it sometimes and sing out of it and it sounds great. It has two channels and it came with a pedal for switching channels. It has a set of effects and loops and a headphone jack for 1/4 inch headphone plugs. I haven't had a problem with the effects because I use a footpedal for my effects, so I don't use the effects on the header. I use my amp when I'm playing at my house or a gig. It has more than enough power for anything I have done. // 9

Sound: I'm using an ESP with two humbucker pickups and the sound is very clean. I haven't had a problem with any type of music I play on it. It can become very loud if need be however once you start maxing out the sound limit it gets a little fuzzy. It can handle a variety of different sounds and effects without sounding cheap. I couldnt tell how the settings are on it because I use a footpedal for all my tones. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have not had a problem with the amp at all. I would definitly use it on a gig without a backup and I wouldn't think twice about it. it's never broken or stopped working. I have used it in a number of gigs and it's worked and sounded great. I haven't had to taken it in to get any repairs. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of it is very good. I have never had any thoughts of getting a new one or replaceing it. I have been playing about six years and I haven't found another amp that I wish I would of gotten instead of this one. If it were ever stolen I would deffinitly go back and get another one. My favorite thing about it is the overall quality of the sound and the volume it can get without sounding bad. // 9

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: TMF128, on january 09, 2009

Features: This amp is solid state. The amp head is 100 Watts, and the cab is 120 Watts. I bought the half stack package, so it was less money than if you bought the head and cab seperate. Lets start with the channels. There are 2 main channels. Clean/Crunch, and OD-1/OD-2. The Crunch channel sounds the best for metal, and the OD-1 is good for rock, punk, and other genres. The OD-2 gives it an extra kick for more distoriton. The only thing this doesn't really cover is blues, which other amps would be better for. I would reccomend using pedals with this amp though. The channels aren't the best, but with pedals this amp sounds great. It all depends on what you like. This amp also has a few built in effects, which are Chorus, Delay, Flanger, and a Chorus/Delay combo. There is a Reverb with controllable volumes. The effects are pretty good, but I just wish they were more adjustable. If you don't want to use the effects on it, there are always pedals you can use. I don't use the effects or channels, I have a pedal to cover overdrive/distortion and other pedals for my modulation and delay/reverb. I use this amp in my bedroom and when I am playing with my band. When playing in my room, I keep it at 2 or lower. 3 or higher is good for playing with the band. Trust me, it is loud enough for playing with your band. Overall, the features are okay. The effects are good and the channels are alright, but it depends on what you like. I would totally reccomend using pedals for this amp though. // 7

Sound: I use my Epiphone SG G-400 with this amp, with the stock pickups. I also use a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal with this amp to make my own blend of overdrive and distortion, but the overdrive channel is still pretty good. One thing I noticed is that when you turn the amp on, even with the Master Volume at 0, you hear the cooling fan in the background. It isn't that bad. While playing gigs it would be hard to notice it, and your playing would drown it out anyway. This amp's tone is good for anything you want, except blues maybe. I play and write different kinds of punk, and so does my band. Almost anything is good for punk, but this works great for it (with and without the pedal.) I also do some shredding for fun, and this amp works for that as well. It suits my style well. This amp can also be suiting for rock if you adjust your settings a little bit. As for metal, the tone will work well, but I suggest a pedal like a Boss Metal Core or a EHX Metal Muff for distortion. The built in one isn't that brutal, so if you want to go really brutal I would reccomend a pedal. This amp can go really loud. it's 100 Watts, and Solid State, but usually for solid states you want to go for more watts than you need cranked, and then you will be settled with that. I have yet to put it up really loud, so I don't know what the clean sounds like at high volumes. Overall, this amp sounds great, especially for a solid state. If you want a solid state for home and for gigs, this one works. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had to worry about this amp breaking down at all. It is a solid state, which are more durable than tube amps, so that's an extra bonus you get from buying this amp. I have to carry the cab down 15 stairs every time I need to take it out of my room, and back up. I never got a scratch on it, even after moving the cab around a lot. As for the head, you don't really have to worry about this breaking. It has a handle you can carry it by and there is not much on it that is breakable. You can use this thing for a whole gig, you don't have to worry about it breaking at all. It is really loud, so you don't have to worry about it blowing out at any kind of gig volume. You can totally rely on this amp, don't worry about it breaking. // 10

Overall Impression: When I tried this amp out in Guitar Center for the first time, I fell in love with it. I didn't care what other people said, I loved how mine sounded and I stuck with my choice. The tone is the best you can get for a solid state. If you want a loud amp without losing all your money, this is what you want. I have 4 years experience of playing and use a good quality Epiphone SG G-400 with this amp. If somebody stole this, I would definately buy another one. I still can't afford a Marshall JVM, and this is the closest thing I can use without having to pay $2000. I love the tone, and I love the volume level. I am not a big fan of the channels, but they are pretty good. I use a pedals for my overdrive and effects anyway. I compared this amp to a Crate V-18, and I liked the MG better. I didn't like the tone of the V-18, and this one sounded the best to me. As crazy as it sounded, I liked the sound of this amp better than a V-18. It was all my preference, and I liked the MG. After playing around with the EQ and my pedals tone, Drive, and blend controls I got a great sound out of this amp. I just wish it didn't have that faint noise of the fan, then it would be perfect for me. Overall, this amp is a good loud amp you can get without breaking the budget. I would reccomend it to anybody Who plays rock, punk, or metal and wants a loud amp. // 9

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: cccforthree, on july 16, 2009

Purchased from: guitar center used equipment

Features: I do believe its made in china. Well this thing can really do good for my two bands and plays my style of metal extremely well and I don't even need pedals to have the power I need. Two channels and a crunch switch for the clean one and a second overdrive for the overdrive channel, effects loops too but only if you have the pedal, headphone jack too yes. I wish it had a phaser effect in it and a solo option because then I would have a little more to work with, I rarely use the flange because I don't see to much use for it but all the rest I use a lot such as the chorus delay and reverb they are very nice for metal power metal death metal and even rock and the reverb goes great with the light tones and blues music. I wish it had a bit of a tube sound but it does get that kinda of sound from the FDD Switch which is a Marshall signature option that is in most Marshall amps now so you can buy a solid state amp for cheap but have some of the tube sounds which a lot of people love. Also I think it could use a built in looper because the pedals cost so much and I think this amp has a great deal for the price. Just so others know the amp usually cots 300-350$ I got it used but still have no problems with it thankfully. Which shows how Marshall are a reliable amp even though a lot of Ug'ers dis them they last great but you have to take care of your amp. // 9

Sound: I use the B\.C\. Rich warlock bronze series guitar with stock pickups and I tend to play metal and hard rock with it most of the time such as Bullet For My Valentine, Lamb Of God, Slayer, Steve Vai, Van Halen, Paramore, System Of A Down, Avenge Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamen (alternative). It suits my music almost perfectly if I had better pickups and the amp didn't feed back it would be perfect but in a room like mine feed back tends to happen a lot being its small and filled with things that interfere, but in a room with good acoustics it would be great feed back wise. Its plenty noisy but usually in a great way but careful not to turn it to higher so you don't blow the cabinet or amp head. Just because it says 100 Watts doesn't mean it can't put out about 1000+ not kidding. The sound variety can be any where from Acoustic like sounding to heavy heavy playing so you have a wide variety depending on your guitars. Yea the clean channel uses gain for its volume so the higher a little bit of distortion is added but its really great when combine with reverb effects. Brutal distortion? If you mean how awesome then a 10/10 on the distortion if you turn the gain up with the second overdrive channel on with little volume and master volume and contour all the way up then you have a "balls to the wall" distortion it rocks so much. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yea its really dependable I haven't had a problem with it in any of my practices with my bands or at home and I play for like 5-10+ hours a day every day so it lasts very well. Yea I would use it in a concert or gig with out a back up I'm sure it would last well. No it has not broken down but I take good care of all my amps because a good musician should but it holds pretty well you could probably get a year out of it without any care just don't slam it around because thats bad for all amps lol. // 9

Overall Impression: Yet again I play metal but I'm not limited to that I also love blues rock classical jazz and flamenco and its a good match for all but flamenco lol. I have been playing a year and 7 months I also own a Fender stratocaster and a Epiphone Les Paul, and a old premier cabinet. I own a DigiTech Grunge distortion pedal and bad monkey pedal and a Line 6 noise gate pedal but I haven't had to use any of them for this amp yet thats how great it is. // 10

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: intenseshawn, on august 12, 2009

Purchased from: American Music Supply

Features: This amp was constructed in 2009, and I would say will acomadate to anyone's style of playing, weither its jazz, blues, rick,or heavy metal. It boasts three channels, built in effects, effects loop, headphone out/emulated line out, CD/MP3 player input, and included a channel footswitch(the foot switch only changes from the channels you have selected on the head and turns the effects on/off). The purchase also included a 4x12 Marshall cap with celestion speakers in it. // 9

Sound: I have played many guitars with different pick-ups through it, and aside from each one having different pickups and wood, the constant is that there is some buzz on the overdrive channel, this is also dictated by the pickups you use(the cheaper the pickup the more buzz I have noticed). The clean channel seems to be noise free, the headphone jack sound great but when outed into recording equipment is very noisy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This head does NOT feature tubes, however it seems to still hold up fine at high volumes and has a built-in fan to regulate the temp. I have used it on a small gig and would say that thus far it has been completly reliable. It has not broken down or given me any trobule in the six months I have owned it. The version I own has a distinct silver finish that has held up so far. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly heavy metal and jazz material and this amp provides the tone and effects I see fit to play it. I have been playing for a little over three years now and usually play either a RR3 Rhodes Jackson, an ESP LTD Kirk Hammett, or my custom made Retro-V through it with out any other pedals or effects except my Weeping Demon Wah. When it comes down to it if this amp was stolen or destroied I would probably buy a high level Marshall, but for the price paid and features I believe it was a great deal. My favorite feature about this amp is the included foot switch and how smoothly it changes channels, my least favorite feature about this amp would have to be the fact you can only choose one effect from the Switch at a time(however the reverb has its own switch)or the feedback buzz. // 10

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 23, 2010

Purchased from: Hot Licks Guitar Shop

Features: I believe my amp was made in 2005. I play primarily Heavy Metal, in a band called Maelstrom, from Maryland. This amp certainly caters to my playing style, though it does so minimally. It has two switchable channels, each with two modes. It has an effects loop in the back, and a headphone jack for 1/4" inputs. Well, for being such a cheap head, I couldn't really ask for anything extra as far as Features. I currently use this amp as a back-up head for my Genz Benz Diablo 100. The Marshall is not tubed and is durable and inexpensive, so I haven't had to worry about thrashing it around over the years. Yea it has enough power, its 100 watts, I could use this amp anywhere. // 9

Sound: I use several guitars. My primary guitar guitar when I used this head was an Ibanez RG270EG. EMG-81 in the bridge, EMG-60 in the Neck, and an Infinity single coil in the center position. It has a HUGE amount of low end. The 'middle' EQ knob does very little, but it does add more body which I like, rather than scooping your sound. Contour seems like it was designed to be a more efficient scoop. Beware the High end, if its too high, it will kill your ears. It is pretty quiet as far as excess noise, though I think my particular head has a bad saudering job somewhere, as there is a problem with feedback and buzz when my amp is in the second channel, but the first channel is in the Crunch mode. The problem goes away when I'm in the second channel, and the first channel is in clean mode. So it leads me to believe its merely a construction error. The amp can produce most tones, but is limited as its a starter half stack. It does get distorted at higher volumes, especially once you get past 2 o clock on the master volume control. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The head is pretty durable. The matching cab is not very durable and actually came loose. I had to open it up and tighten all the screws (Which you should do regardless to ensure the best tone). I have used this amp many times without a back up because it was my only amp. As the years have gone by however, I have kept this as a back-up. Its never had any problems. I am very very pleased with the reliability of this amp. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for almost 5 years now, I got this after two years of playing, and used it constantly for an entire year. I have owned several heads, A Peavey valve king, Behringer Vamp, and a B-52 100 watt. I have several guitars, all equipped with EMG active pick ups. If this amp was stolen, I probably would not replace it. I like how it sounds for being a cheap Solid state. But I would most likely use a Marshall Valvestate 8100 or 8200 as a new back-ups amp. I enjoy how raw the tone of the MG100HDFX is. Certainly a memorable first amp head. // 9

MG100HDFX Reviewed by: thai_giang, on november 30, 2011

Price paid: C$ 730

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: Made in May 2007. Very versatile amp for most styles. Starts with two channels, the clean channel and overdrive channel. On the clean channel there are two "modes", one being the regular clean, and then crunch. The clean channel has a gain/volume, bass, middle and treble knob. On the overdrive channel there is also two "modes", OD1 and OD2(higher gain). The overdrive channel has a gain, bass, middle, treble, contour and volume knob. This amp is a full solid-state amplifier, and it features digital effects on-board including reverb, chorus/delay, chorus, delay and flanger. The amplifier comes with a foot-switch pedal, that allows you to switch between the clean and overdrive channel, and can also turn on/off the digital effects. This amp features Frequency Dependant Damping which helps "liven" up the tone and add more base and power to the tone. There is also a CD-in jack for playing music & background tracks through the amp, as well as a emulated line-out jack for listening with headphones or for recording directly into a computer. One feature that I wish this amp had is a Presence control knob for both clean and overdrive channels. // 9

Sound: I generally use this amp with humbucker-style guitars such as Les Pauls, SGs, etc. But it also works great for single coiled guitars. The amp is a great all-around amplifier for many different genres and styles of music. The amp generally has a tight self-contained sound. It does not really push the air like a tube amplifier would if turned up. It has an excellent clean channel, very clear straight-set clean tone that meshes very nicely with the digital effects if used accordingly. I prefer the OD1 channel over the OD2 channel because I generally play classic rock or jazz, so high gain is not really needed, but when playing hardcore or metal, the amp is able to push out pretty high output gain. The thing with this amp is as you turn it up on the overdrive channel, the tone tends to get more trebly, and if you really crank it on the overdrive channel it tends to sound a bit too overpowering. One thing I like to do with the clean channel is turn up the channel volume to 10, and master volume to 10, which causes the amp to naturally overdrive, and it gives this very warm yet rich really nice overdriven tone. Not too good for the ears though, this amp is loud! // 8

Reliability & Durability: Pretty rugged amp, don't really have to worry about tubes blowing out or anything like that since it is a solid-state amplifier. I have used this amp for every gig I have had and it hasn't disappointed! // 9

Overall Impression: Great amp for my playing styles. Excellent affordable half-stack for classic rock, jazz, blues, even metal/hardcore. Effects are usable, and the emulated line-out is excellent as I use it to record directly into my computer (Good for if you can't afford a microphone). For a solid-state amplifier, this is a great amp and I definitely would suggest it for people looking for a versatile amplifier. // 8

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ DSL40C 9 Guitar Amplifiers 08/01/2014