MG100HFX Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 04/22/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: MG100HFX
This amp covers a pretty wide range of sounds very well. This head is superior to Line 6, Marshall combos.
 6.6
 8.3
 4.9
reviews (3) pictures (2) 32 comments vote for this gear:
MG100HFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 09, 2011

Purchased from: Guitar center

Features: This is the *new* MG series head. I was discouraged by several reviews of the MG100HDFX (previous generation) head, and was searching for something to play with thru a 4X12, rather than using my JVM all the time for practice to save tube time. I love the 4X12 cab sound! OK, having seen several YouTube vids, I thought of giving this head a try. After a little research, I found this to be a very versatile head with features such as: - Line in for practice - Headphone out - fxLoop - Commonly used effects - phaser, flanger, chorus - Reverb, and delay - 2 channels - two modes each, covering ground from clean to blues to rock to metal This I found the only head with a CD-line in, and a headphone out, which can be invaluable for practice. Overall a very versatile amp! // 10

Sound: I play a 59 Reissue Les Paul through this head, into a 4X12 loaded with Vintage 30s. (I use this for practice, trying to save tube time on my JVM410H). I play mostly rock and metal - 80s-90s-present. Likes include Ozzy, Deep Purple, Whitesnake, Malmsteen, Dio, Europe, Santana, Gary Moore, etc... I've had it for over a month, and here's my opinion of the sound quality. Clean channel: is awesome to say the least. Wonderful tones with a touch of reverb and they seem to have a 3D quality to them. Crunch channel: I've been able to get very dynamic response and awesome bluesy tones from the crunch channel. OD1 channel: Although it did't happen easily, but I managed to get fat and alive tones from this channel. I simply love it now! OD2 channel: I found nice for legato playing and shredding. Gain comes easily on this channel, but it is a little compressed. Still sounds really great, with a bit of delay it is nice for solos and shredding. There's a slight noise on this channel but hardly noticeable even at bedroom levels how I use it. If you scoop the mids, and increase the bass and treble, the OD2 channel sails easily into territories of modern metal. ONE secret: DO NOT dime the gain! I use the gain knob on most of my settings around 1-2O'clock! TWO secret: DO NOT believe dumbasses who simply puke at the name of "MG" series. Trust me, I was shying away from this amp too, but this *new* series MG100HFX simply rocks and sounds fantastic. For the purpose of practice, and avoiding tube time and maintenance, it is a great choice. THREE secret: Switch to manual mode and tweak the knobs. DO NOT dime the treble! I don't understand why some people do that. You'll find the sound in your head! If you are after a tube amp, get a tube amp! If you're after a great sounding versatile head through which you can practice on a 4X12, this is an excellent choice. I have other tube Marshalls, and you can trust my opinion. My rating is based on the fact - this is not a tube amp, and it is no JVM! BUT it is excellent sounding solid state head with nice features reverb, delay and effects. // 10

Reliability & Durability: No issues so far. Seems well made and superior to the previous MG series. Seems to have a thump reduction circuitry which prevents that sound when you power on/off the amp. Based on the sound quality I can get out of this, I can gig with it without a backup, though I can use my tube Marshalls for this! // 10

Overall Impression: Excellent choice for the price, for the purpose of practice thru a 4X12 with intention to reduce tube maintenance. Great sounding amp does clean thru metal, modern metal styles. I've been playing for around 20 years, and have a couple of Les Pauls, one of which is a 59 Reissue, and a truckload of pedals, some Marshall tube amps - JVM410H and AFD100. I did not find a similar great sounding amp which had effects loop, headphone and aux (CD) in. These features are awesome for practice. You can also connect your external effects processors/pedals straight into the effects return of this head - i.e. just using the power-amp section of this head. This makes the processors/pedals sound absolutely stunning. Try it out, you might like what you hear. // 10

MG100HFX Reviewed by: JStraitiff, on may 03, 2011

Features: I play progressive metal, so I need a pretty wide range of sounds. This amp covers them very well. The amp has 4 channels: Clean, Crunch, Overdrive 1 and Overdrive 2. I tend to use clean and Overdrive 1 most of the time. OD1 has a nice full sound to it unlike many overdrives. It provides plenty of gain for those metal riffs I need. Clean channel with some reverb and delay makes for a nice soft tone. The crunch channel sounds nice too, however I haven't found use for it yet. The OD2 channel is too trashy for me. Sounds way too muffled and unclear for my taste (Though I'm sure it would be the preferred setting for some of those hardcore players or something). The footswitch is helpful beyond belief. Find the settings you want and store them to a button and you're ready to go. Quick switching between parts. As many may know prog metal can go from a really hard riff to a clean part within seconds. It has an effects loop which I have tried and it works well, however since buying this amp I haven't found that I use any of my pedals anymore. I find that they all dirty up the tone in a way that I don't like (With the exception of my multi effects unit). There is a 1/8" headphone jack, 2 speaker jacks, MP3 line in. The built in effects seem to work pretty well, however they are too simplified. I prefer to control the timing of the flanger and delays etc more precisely than with a knob. I use this amp for both practices and live. The power is irrelevant because I just mic the cab into the PA. // 10

Sound: Using with EMG 81/85. It isn't really noisy at all. Clean is only distorted if you have the gain up, then it can break up on the peak of a note. I like the distortion. It suits me perfectly. I don't want a distortion that is muffled and yucky. However this amp can produce both that and a more usable distortion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on it without backup, but for some reason I find myself concerned that the push button power will break at some point. That's most likely the same reason I don't trust push button start on a car. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 3 years or so. This head is superior to combos I've had in the past (Line 6, Marshall). If it were stolen I would most likely buy this again unless I had more money at my disposal at the time, in which case I would probably buy a mesa/boogie Mark V. The price is great for this one. // 10

MG100HFX Reviewed by: Jerry-Boy, on april 22, 2013

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: The Marshall MG100HFX is the "REPLACEMENT amp for the older MG100HDFX and the related sub series. It has four channels, it is capable of the newer programable "Stompware" four button foot switch and even though it is technically only a two channel amp with two modes to each channel, it can be used as a "four channel" amp if you program the footswitch to change channels and modes. The knobs have two settings via a front pannel button, one setting is for memory settings and the other is manual mode. But when you adjust each knob, that knob kicks in to manual mode so you can adjust it and program it in to the memory. Being that it is a solid state amp, it needs to be powerful enough to NOT have to turn it up all the way, and the 100 watt amp is. // 7

Sound: The sound is ABSOLUTELY awful. I could NOT make this amp sound as good as my older MG100HDFX. I noticed that unless I was using a guitar with really HOT pickups, the sound was even worse and the footswitch guitar tuner had difficulty picking up enough signal to tune the guitar! I can only guess that the pre-amp stage is weak. I don't know if this is by design or if the Asian manufacturer who put this thing together just used inferior parts. The difference between the HFX series and the HDFX series is like "daylight and dark." I can't give this amp the worst rating, because I've heard worse pieces of junk out there. But it is NOT worthy of the Marshall logo it has on the front. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I didn't keep this amp long so I honestly don't know enough about the dependability to give it a fair rating; so I am going to give it above average based on what I know about my other MG. I was greatly displeased with this amp so I contacted the company I bought it from. They had a "satisfaction guarantee" policy but I had to pay the shipping back. Fortunately, I got it on sale. Most stores don't take items back that are restock, used, or anything that is on clearance. It was on SALE but it wasn't on clearance. My guess is they will be on clearance very soon. After all the poor reviews I've read about this amp, I'd say they're having difficulty getting people to keep them after the purchase; even at a lower price. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic rock, contemporary rock, blues, and some newer types of music. I have been playing music for a LONG time. Ever since I was a kid. I own several amps, most notably a Marshall JCM2000TSL, a Marshall JCM900, and of course the Marsahll MG100HDFX solid state stack. I have the MG100HDFX because the sound greatly emulates my 900 and my TSL and doesn't weigh NEARLY as much! It's certainly NOT as good as the tube types, but it's OK for small gigs. I liked my HDFX but it is only capable of a two button footswitch (channel and effects). The HFX was supposed to be the replacement with more features. I would STRONGLY advise against buying the Marshall MG100HFX, even if they offer you a great price! It's a waste of money and if you know what ANY other Marshall amps sound like, you'll be disappointed with the MG100HFX; to say the least. If you MUST buy a solid state Marshall, get the older MG100HDFX (there's a lot of used ones and NOS floating around) and avoid the newer HFX! (And from what I've heard the HCFX is no better.) The features are really great, but what good is that if your amp sounds bad? // 3

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Valvestate VS30R 6.1 Guitar Amplifiers 04/21/2014