MG10CD Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 02/03/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: MG10CD
10W of power; Custom-voiced 6-1/2" speaker; 2 channels: clean and overdrive; Contour control radically modifies the midrange, from traditional to scooped modern; CD input for jam-along purposes.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.9
 6.7
 7.4
reviews (41) pictures (1) 61 comments vote for this gear:
MG10CD Reviewed by: trepkos, on september 22, 2005

Features: This Amp has a few controls, it has 2 channels, overdrive and clean, a volume control for the clean channel, tone control, overdrive gain and volume for OD. It also has 3 sockets, an input (of course), 1 for headphones and 1 for an music player so you can play along with your favourite tunes. Compaired to its bigger brothers its not much, but for 46 it's excellent for value. // 8

Sound: I use a Gibson SG with the amp and a few effects. I play mostly classic rock, blues and a bit of Metallica. It suits me very well. This little amp maybe small with 10 watts but has the roar the match the drummer. This amp sure has the beefy overdrive I like, its even more beefer than my friend's 40 watt Peavey amp. This thing can scream pretty well too. The downside is if you dont set the settings on your guitar right, the tone of the overdrive does get too muddy. That can take a while to set up, just to get the tone right. Like I said though great value! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't think it's loud enough to gig but I got another amp for that. This is for the home area, quiet enough to play at night and loud enough to jam with drums. Hes a sturdy little bugger this amp is. I see it roaring for life. Excellent reliability and durability. // 10

Overall Impression: Excellent tones, tough and great roar. My guitar and my amp make a great pair-up and I've been playin for 3 years. If this was stolen I would defiantly get a new one because my parents would kill me if I tried to hump my huge valvestate up the stairs and play through it and it's more portable. More night time jams for me! Highly recommended. // 9

MG10CD Reviewed by: fade2black2004, on december 07, 2005

Purchased from: Music123.com

Features: I'm not sure when this amp was made. This amp is very versitile (when it works) I play mostly metal but if I wanted to play any soft rock type stuff this amp also worked for it. 2 channels clean and overdrive. it has a headphone jack. I use this amp at home for practicing (well I used to anyway). This amp tends to crap out alot, like at random times it just goes out, the first time it happened I thought that I had blown it but then when I turned it on the next day it worked fine (it has happened to me about 6 times in about 5 months). // 5

Sound: I'm using a Schecter Omen 6 with the stock pick ups. and a DOD Death Metal distortion pedal, and the distortion is ok for the metal I play, but without the pedal the overdrive on the amp itself is pure crap! This is more true if you have the volume up higher then 4 or 5. The clean channel I don't use much but when I do it's ok. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Do not! I repeat, do not use this amp for anything but practice at home, it is not reliable or durable at all mine has so many dents on it from it bareley being hit on the corner of my table its not even funny. Like I said earlier this amp has crapped out on me about 6 times before. // 2

Overall Impression: Save your money is all I can say. all this amp really has going for it is the name "Marshall." If you need a practice amp save up and get something else, I wish I would of saved up for a Roland cube or something along thoose lines instead of wasting my money on this piece of garbage. // 4

MG10CD Reviewed by: FrenchyFungus, on october 10, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Ok, it's small, but what did you expect for 50? It still does eveything you could possibly want from it though. I play a variety of styles, from Nirvana to Led Zep, and a lot of punk and White Stripes (hey, they rock and I'm still learning), and it is amazingly loud and versatile for the size. 2 channels, clean and overdrive, but no footswitch. This isn't really a problem for me though, as my X V-amp can put as much distortion into it as I want. This means that most of the time I just leave my amp on clean or low gain, and control everything with my pedal. Has a headphone jack and a CD input, neither of which I use often. No effects other than gain and tone, but, again, it's 50 and my V-amp does all that shit for me. Will only ever use this in my bedroom, but it has easily enough power to do a band rehearsal, but definitely not a gig. Perfect for what I want, especially when you consider the cost. // 9

Sound: Perfect first amp, does everything I want, from the acoustics of 'Polly' and 'Truth Doesn't Make A Noise' to the distortion of '...Teen Spirit' and 'one step closer. The clean channel is, well, clean, with no distrotion at high volume, although it does have a little bit of static. Nothing to worry about though. Overdrive channel has plenty of gain, and volume. Some static at high levels, more than in the clean channel. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It will never break. End of. // 10

Overall Impression: Perfect first amp, even makes my unbranded strat sound good! Like I said, I play it with a Behringer X V-AMP and a Danelectro chili dog. It's exactly as I had thought it would be, and, if only for the cost, I would buy it again. I chose this over the Fender mini-tone master and Marshall MS-2 because of size and variety. I love this thing. // 10

MG10CD Reviewed by: thewho65, on september 01, 2007

Features: A 2005 amp, solid state, 2 channels (usual clean/overdrive). Nothing special. No EQ, just a "contour" control, essentially a treble control. One master volume for clean and a Drive level and Drive tone controls. Features CD line-in for jamming with music, emulated line out (for quiet practice/recording), and emulated headphones (headphone use). // 5

Sound: Most MG's are notoriously bad. It would be a lie to say this was an exception. Although the amp emits practically no noise no matter the conditions, it's overall sound is mediocre. The cleans are barely passible. The overdrive doesn't sound like overdrive at all. It's more along the lines of some washed-out, crappy fuzz. Interesting sound at first, later very annoying. This thing takes forever to distort clean, even with humbuckers. But this is even worse than the overdrive. Most people think the MG sounds bad. I think it sounds pathetic. // 3

Reliability & Durability: Wouldn't gig with it. I'm sure it'd be reliable, but it is only 10 watts. Despite this it gets pretty loud. It hasn't broken and shows no signs of breaking in the future. Unlike the higher priced MG's, this one dosen't suffer from the overheating problem. I just wouldn't gig with it because of it's harsh, bland tone. // 4

Overall Impression: I play lots of things (No set style). I've had this for 3-4 years. When I originally bought this, I only had a choice between this and an Ibanez amp. That's the only reason I got it, because it sounded better than the Ibanez. I should have saved up a little and got one of those Vox Valvetronix amps (the one before the new silver grated one) I would never buy this again. In fact, I'm staying away from Marshalls for now. (because I can't afford a good one). // 3

MG10CD Reviewed by: sevenx, on june 20, 2006

Features: If you are the kinda person Who tends to travel around quite a bit and don't exactly own a personal jet to carry around your equipment for ya, and still u don't wanna compromise on the way you want your guitar to sound, look no further! This baby has got all the features and tonal versatility that you'd have wanted to be in that practice amp you've always dreamt of! The two channels (clean/overdrive) with seperate volume controls (no foot-pedals, but better stop dreaming about them in a 10W amp, kiddo) along with the controls for gain and 'tone' (which basically determines whether u want a 'flat' or a 'v-shaped' midrange varies the tone of ur guitar from slisha mushy to bright and twingy) supplies me with all the bright, squeaky-clean tone or the mildly distorted crunch that I need for my blues play. Turn the gain knob way up to unleash Monsterous Metallic Mayhem, with the tone still maintaining an amazing 'Marshall' signature (read clarity) in it! It has never been a necessity to turn up the volume beyond 6 even when practising with a drummer, and my neighbours started banging on my door when once (just for the fun of it) I turned up the volume all the way to 10... but the tone was still surprisingly clear (although it does get a li'l bit 'buzzy' if you are using high-gain at high-volumes)! It has a line-in (which I've never used) and a handy head-phone socket for those silent practice sessions, particularly useful when your parents/room-mates are not in a good mood! // 9

Sound: I use a gba rosewood strat clone with a humbucker at the tail & two single coils and a hbner electro-acoustic custom fit with two humbuckers & a single coil with this baby, and they both sound simply superb! I play mostly Bluesy stuff (King, Clapton, Gary Moore etc) and classic & contemporary Rock (Floyd, LedZep, Audioslave, RHCP, AC/DC etc) and a fair deal of Jazz and a bit of thrash metal and grunge, and this babe serves all of them equally, although I'd suggest u get a good processor if u really wanna get a kick out of the really distorted metal riffs. For good ol' clean guitaring, things just can't better. Although the sound gets slisha crunchy with a volume beyond 7, it kinda suits my needs. The clean tone just kills me, man! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Honestly speaking, I don't think this amp is good enough for live gigs. But it was never supposed to be like that either. It is as good a practice amp as you'd ever dream of and is powerful enough to support your screaming leads in the music room even with the drums going full flow. It hasn't given me any problem so far, and considering the fact that it still hasn't been damaged inspite of me being such a careless and lazy person and inspite of having travelled around 2000 miles in awkward positions, I must say that it's pretty tough too! // 9

Overall Impression: When I went to buy a practice amp, I had a choice between this and a Squire 10W suckup (which was small and light and cute alright, but had a terrible tone and the overdrive button was ridiculing itself, the grunge was just not there at all) and a Behringer model, which had lots of features, but the tone was no match, and for it's genre (practice amps), that, I think is the single-most important feature. Effects and the Equalizer you can always get from your stomp-boxes/effects processors. I would have really started worshipping it had it been a littly less 'buzzy' with high gains, but I don't think anyone would be reaching those high volumes (when it really starts pinching you) while you are practising in a room. All in all, a Great Buy! Keep up the good work, Marshall! // 10

MG10CD Reviewed by: Woffelz, on may 13, 2011

Features: This old 10 Watt solid state practice amp has: - A 6 inch speaker - 2 channels [clean and lead] - 1 volume control on the clean channel - 1 volume control, 1 contour [tone] knob and 1 gain knob on the lead - Input for guitar, input for MP3 and headphone output Not bad for a 50 amp though, but an EQ should have been included. // 7

Sound: I use either my Stagg L350 or my Ibanez RG120 with this amp. Firstly, the cleans sound great on this am on the neck pickup. It's mellow, but not too mellow which is perfect for the lighter music I play. The cleans sound the best on my Stagg L350. Unfortunately, the cleans break up into distortion before the volume it at 5. The distortion channel is terrible. The distortion just sounds so thin and is not heavy enough. It doesn't sound good enough for rock and definitely isn't suited for metal either. The tone/contour control just limits what I can do with this amp. As there aren't other EQ controls, I am stuck with this knob. There is not much I can do to the horrid lead channel to make it sound better. Also, even at 1/3 volume, feedback starts and noise is emitted. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This amp does not seem reliable. The fabric speaker cloth looks very fragile and I feel that it will rip at anytime. I would definitely not use this amplifier for gigging. Aside from not being loud enough, the amp feedbacks a lot and the ckeans break up easily. The speaker cloth will probably rip easily. Even cardboard would be better protection. // 3

Overall Impression: This amp is definitely not a good match for a good rock tone and for a good metal tone. The distortion is terrible compared to my Roland Cube 15X, which I have been using for the past 3 years [I've been playing for 4 years]. If this amp was stolen, I would not buy a new one but I would laugh at the thief who stole this pathetic amplifier. Now this amp is his problem. The only thing I like about this amp is the cleans. On the other hand, the distortion is awful. // 5

MG10CD Reviewed by: Z-Smak, on october 22, 2003

Purchased from: Walter's Music Centers

Features: A small amp with two channels (clean and overdrive). Has an input jack along with CD and earphone jacks. Can be configured for various playing styles such as blues, heavy metal, rock and clean. This is all acomplished with very easy instructions. Lack bells and whistles but then again its 125 bucks. // 8

Sound: Crisp, clear and loud, especially for a 0 Watt amp. Does a great job for when playing all genres of music. I usually play rock and find that this amp does the job. I have an old Aria hollowbody guitar that i found in the dumpster...seriously. It only has two pickups, but both are in excellent shape and pick up everything. As already stated the two channels are excellent and their sound is unequalled by far.I know this because I have tried the Peave Rage 158 and the Fender. Overall very impressive. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Had it for three weeks, no problems so far. No crackilng, poping nor static sounds. Marshall is one of the better, if not the best brands for amplifiers. // 10

Overall Impression: Much better than any Peavy because of is FDD technology.As for its size dont let it fool ya, this thing packs quite a punch and will do even for small gigs. One miss is that it doesn't offer distortion, but then again the perfectly tuned overdrive setting makes up for it. A great buy for beginners who seek a quality sound without a huge dent in the old pocket. // 10

MG10CD Reviewed by: sumfartieone, on march 09, 2004

Purchased from: Hugo Helmer

Features: This amp has just the basic two channels clean,overdrive, and has a contour knob for the tone. This amp was designed just to be a basic bedroom practice amp. // 6

Sound: I use this with a Squire affinity strat and there is a little noise but not too much. The clean channel is awesome and is perfect for the blues when it is all the way up, it gives it that good crunch. The Overdrive channel is all right but pretty weak, but seves well just for practice. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This amp is pretty reliable and I've never had any problems with it at all. // 8

Overall Impression: I would say this is a great amp for anybody just starting to play guitar and wanting a cheap, reliable starter amp. But if you have already played guitar for a while I would recommend the mg15 for a practice amp because you get more power and beefier distortion. // 8

MG10CD Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2004

Features: I think this amp is a very good practice amp. Its distortion is very very good for the price, the contour levels vary to how loud the clean volume setting is. On the distortion mode it's a bit tinny sound but for the price I'm not complaining. The CD plug in option works quite well. // 8

Sound: The sound it produces are imence for a 0 Watt amp I have people complaining they can hear it from down the end of my road!! I have recently brought a Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer Distortion pedal it gives the drive to the amp a more bassier meatier tone for more metal versatility. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It works every time I plug it in so thats fine its quite solid you could chuck it down the stairs and it would still work its one of the most sturdy practice amps ive seen. I have a small bedroom so I normally knock things over and this amp has lasted it out so far. // 8

Overall Impression: At the end of the day this amp is only good for practicing but its very good at what it does. If you're looking to play for small audiences then go for the very good MG30DFX but for a bedroom, front room or any house hold area's this is the amp for you. // 8

MG10CD Reviewed by: K-man, on july 07, 2004

Features: This is a very basic amp with clean and overdrive channels. Theres a gain and a contour control. Theres also a cd input so you can play along with the cd. Not a whole lot in the way of features, its a good beginners amp though. // 6

Sound: I have an Ibanez and play mostly hard rock and modern rock, it's pretty good for playing general rock, but isn't very good for any metal or hard rock. The distortion isn't very heavy and you can't control the bass, mid, or treble. There is a little noise when the gains all the way up especially during pauses. It also starts to sound crappy once you turn the volume knob up half way. If you like to play anything besides hard rock, nu-metal, or metal, this amp is good, if you like these styles, I would get a different amp. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very reliable, I've had it for almost two years and haven't had a single problem with it yet. It sounds as good as it did when I bought it and can take some abuse. Though this amp wouldn't be suitable for a gig due to its features, I would use it without a backup. There is a little bit of a flaw in the input plug in which it has to be wiggled now and then to make it work, but besides that it's not bad. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this amp is okay, its features are amateur and its sound is only okay, but it is reliable. I've compared this amp to my friends amps and its not as good, but they're more experienced and need better equipment. With a distortion pedal it would be better. If it was lost or stolen, I would definitely buy a different amp, but this was worth the $100 and is great for beginners. // 8

MG10CD Reviewed by: IlIkE2plygUItAr, on december 09, 2004

Purchased from: Mammoth Music

Features: I bought this amp new, and it was made in 2004. I like playing a wide range of music, and this amp works for most of them. I like playing hard rock, metal, southern rock, blues, and everything inbetween. Unfortunately, this amp does not have footswitchable channels. There is a headphone jack and cd input, but no effects what so ever. I wish it had effects and bass, mid and treble controllers because they would allow me more musical range. I mostly use this for practicing alone in my room, since it lacks the power to compete with the drumbs, bass, singing, and two other guitarists in my band. I use a larger model for that. But it works perfectly for what I need it to do. // 6

Sound: I mainly use my Gibson with it. You can get great sounds out of it. You can get an under water tone if you turn the tone down all the way, or you can get a very sharp edgy tone with it turned all the way up. The clean channel is perfect for blues. The overdrive channel doesn't work so great for metal, but it does okay. It is great for playing grunge. It buzzes quite a bit with the distortion turned up. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very dependable. I've turned it up 3/4 with out any problem so far. I accidently dropped it down hard wood stairs and it didn't even get scratched. I wouldn't use it at a gig, but not because it is unreliable, but because it isn't powerful enough. It has never broken. // 10

Overall Impression: This a good match for most types of music I play. I have been playing for a year now, but I also own a Gibson Epiphony, wah-wah pedal, and a Flanger, and this works great with all of them. If this was stolen, I would cry because I am a cheap bastard and I hate buying things. I would probably replace it with a larger MG. // 8

MG10CD Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 09, 2005

Purchased from: Online

Features: I think it was made this year. There's almost nothing on the amp, just a volume knob, overdrive channel (with gain and and volume controls) and a master tone switch. It does have a headphone jack, a line out for recording, and a line in to play with a cd player. The CD player line is pretty nifty, but to you need to use a specail cord that'll connect the headphone jack on the player to the 1/4 inch input. I wish the amp came with the chord, I had to go out to radio shack to get it. In terms of power, there's not much to mention, it's a practice amp so its obviously to small for giging or playing with your band, but it works nice for when you're by yourself. I wish the equalizer was a little better, (maybe 3 bands) and the overdrive sounds thin and weak. // 6

Sound: I'm using a Washburn X-30 with Head Hunter EL923 pickups. Personally I think the sound itself is ok, but I would expect more from a Marshall. On clean, or with a small amount of gain, you get a sound that will really go with anything. But the amp doesn't have enough chunk for me The overdrive is, as I said earlier, very weak. Its not really good for metal, but more for a punk type sound. Also, when the gain is all the way up or the treble/tone is at 10, you can really hear the noise of your fingers moving on the strings. What is good (or bad depending on how you look at it) is that you can hear every mistake. That is a alright since this amp will make you work if you want it to sound good. I've always liked that in a practice amp. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Don't use this to gig. Just don't it doesn't have the power. The amps never broken down on me and its built like a rock. // 8

Overall Impression: I really expected better. The amp does alright for in my room, so its pretty much all youre gonna need in a practice amp. If it got stolen I would either get the one with more fx or that new Fender one with drum machine and effects. // 6

MG10CD Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 13, 2005

Sound: I'm using it with my sg so it goes good. The overdrive is great when you want to do AC/DC song or sumthing like that. I use it to go from a clean song to a distorted song and inbetween. For a little amp this thing packs a punch I've already been told by my mom to turn the thing down. It sounds great. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great amp if you are just starting out with an electric guitar then buy this amp it is great for practicing. The best part is that if I wanna practice in my room or the living room then I can because it light and portable overall, if you want a solid amp that you can use for practice and maybe show off to your friends, then get this amp. For a low price, you get a lot. // 10

MG10CD Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 22, 2005

Sound: I use a Strat copy with an SD JB humbucker (bridge position) through this amp. It's pretty okay, but you get little buzz with the volume up on either channel, but even more with the OD with the gain maxed out. The contour/tone knob's very limited. The distortion's pretty good as long as you don't leave it on without playing, unless you enjoy annoying buzzing noises. It's good for practicig alone in your room, I guess. // 6

Overall Impression: I've been playing for well over a year, and I usually play punk and screamo. I'd say it could have offered a bit more, say, reverb, and a bit more tone controls, (e.g. bass, mids, treble) but you only get your money's worth. And I suppose that's what they made the MG15CDR for. I'd definately shell out for a better amp with more power if this were lost or stolen. Great amp for beginners. // 6

MG10CD Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 31, 2005

Features: Ok so this little amp is well lets just say it, little! Nonetheless, it can make some noise, but sometimes it makes noises that you really don't want to hear. It has two channels clean and OD 1 and I guess that's the most you can ask for from an amp that is this small. The overdrive is decent, sometimes it sounds a little scratchy and if it had an OD 2 setting I think that would really make this amp awesome. I use the amp in my bedroom so yeah its good enough to practice with. I'd never use it playing live though. // 6

Sound: I have a Fender Stratocaster so I play just about anything I feel like playing. The amp does its job well. It puts out the noise and it gives you enough power to rattle your windows (that is if the little punk doesn't start squeeling at you). I've had it for almost a year now and ever since I've gotten it its been tempermental. It makes popping noises sometimes and I cant turn mine up when I have the overdrive on because it has the tendencey to make this really loud, annoying squeeling noise! But let me say this, I don't even have the thing turned up all the way and it is pretty powerful for such a small amp. I actually took it over to a freinds house and into his basement. Once I got the thing going and I started playing my freind was shocked that so much noise could come from my "little black box". Another good thing about it is its so small you have absolutely no problems transporting it and it'll go just about anywhere you want to take it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't say it's very dependable. I don't think there is anyone in the world who would want to use it live, but if your practicing in your room, basement or wherever it's a practical and cheap. It's also a versatile little amp, you can go from a soft clean sound to a low groaning rumble, and the little punk does it well. // 8

Overall Impression: I play just about anything I want. I really like to play Green Day and Oasis songs and I dont have a problem getting the sound I need. I've been playing for almost 3 years and this is my first and only amp so I can't really compare to other amps. I don't have any effects or anything it's just me, my guitar and the amp and for now it's good enough for me. If it were stolen I wouldn't buy another one but I would look back on the days I used it fondly. It's great for practice but I think thats about all it's good for. But as I said it's a loud little sucker for something so small. I love that it's small and easy to move around, what I really hate is that its so tempermental (remmember your experiance may be different then mine) and acutally that's about it, compared to other small amps, well, it's pretty bad ass. No other amp this size can give you the noise and sound that this thing provides. So if your looking for a practice/begginers amp this is a fantastic choice. But if your planning on playing live I wouldn't get this amp. what I wish to add? I am currently looking for a bigger more gig worthy amp and I know that when I get rid of this thing I'm going to miss it. Not becuase it's better then my potential amp, but just because I've gotten attached to it. It's kinda like buying a little, furless, retarded dog. There are times when you hate it and times when you love it, but nonetheless you eventually grow attached to it. // 6

MG10CD Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2005

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Features: It has two channels switchable on the amp, clean and overdrive. There are volume controls and contour (tone) control for both channels, and the overdrive has the gain knob. Very simple and nothing special. It also has three audio jacks, an input, a line out, and a emulated headphones jack. // 8

Sound: I used a '50s Fender Strat with a SD JBjr in the bridge. It sounds great on the clean channel with the single coils switched on, not that good with the jb though. If you turn up the clean channel volume, theres a little crunch to it which is odd because it usually does that with tube amps. The overdrive channel is almost useless. Its very noisy and it sounds thin. My recommendation is to buy some distortion pedal like a Boss DS-1 (not SD-1) or Mega Distortion, depending on what music you play. And out the pedal through the clean channel, it sounds much better if you do that, so I'm going to give it four stars because if you have a distortion pedal through the clean, it sounds great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had it for almost 2 years, and its never given me any problems. I've taken it apart a few times and its very simple, therfore it's pretty hard for something to go wrong. // 10

Overall Impression: This was my first amp, and when I started learning, I was playing Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and some punk (because it's easy). I learned the basics on this amp but I use a Peavey tube halfstack. I recommend it to any new guitarists or someone looking for a small simple practice amp for fairly cheap. From my experience, its very reliable, I could probably drop it down a flight of stairs and it would still work. I don't think it will ever get stolen because its a very cheap amp, it almost like a car theif stealing a Hyundai Accent, it just wouldn't make sense. I like the reliability, the clean channel, the price I paid, the size, and the Marshall logo. The things I don't like, besides the obvious of a small solid-state practice amp, the overdrive channel is very noisy and thin, also the emulated headphones is useless too, it sounds even worse than the amp itself. At the time, I had my friend play it on a few Fender amps, Frontman I think, and I liked the tone over those. If you actually require more effects or better tone, just spend more and get a better amp. For what I paid for this, I'm pretty satisfied. // 8

MG10CD Reviewed by: kcfshorty, on september 30, 2005

Features: This amp was made well I'm not sure when but I know its a pretty recent model. This amp is a powerful little monster. I play whatever I feel like mostly Zeppelin and stuff like that and I must admit this thing is great for practice. The amp has two channels clean and overdrive. It has has a cd emulator and a headphone jack so you can practice without pissing off everyone. I use it in my bedroom just to practice and its pretty kick ass for such as small and cheap amp. Its loud enough to practice lets just leave it at that. Its powerful for an amp thats so small. This amp is the best practice amp you can get for this price, no doubt in my mind. It's dirt cheap and it gets the job done. // 8

Sound: I have a standard Fender stratocastewr which I love and this amp shows it justice. The amp doesn't have a huge range of sounds but its good enough, you can go from the clean which isn't half bad, to the overdrive which is pretty amazing from such a small amp. The thing that drives me nuts is you turn it on and with the overdrive on and the volume up you get this awful humming noise. Other then that I have no problems with the sound itself. Overall the clean is good at low volumes and the overdrive is good unless you try to crank it all the way up. If you try that it gets really muddy and it all the sounds merges into one giant blarring, just don't do it it sounds awful. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Don't get me started on this. Though most people say that Marshall amps are extremely reliable, my experiances have not been fantastic. To put it simply, my amp is a peice of shit. The first day I got it I plug in the guitar and start playing and it plays for 5 seconds and then the thing just starts wailing! My amp has been doing it ever since. I turn the thing on and I have to smack the amp a couple of times before it'll stop screaming at me, for one this thing isnt powerful enough to play at a gig, but if for some, odd reason I used it. There is no way id be there without a backup cuase the last thing I'd want is to be going off on a guitar solo and the guitar start crackling then going starting to squeel. // 3

Overall Impression: I play a good bit of Zeppelin as I said. And disregarding my problems I experiance with my amp, this isnt a bad little amp. It's great for practice and it's the most versatile practice amp out there. If it were stolen, it would be a gift from god. It would be a good excuse to get a new more powerful amp. If I wanted another practice amp I would actually probably get one just like this, and hope my experiances arent the same, but seing as I'm hoping to by a much larger amp for my next purchase there is no way I'd go out and get another one. I love it 'cause it's versatile. I hate it because it's a moody little bugger. One second itll sound crystle clear the next sexond its squeeling like a pig (not a good thing). I wish it had a self destruct button so next time I get pissed off at it I could hit it countdown 5-4-3-2-1 beep, boom! I'm kidding, no it's a good little amp, it's great for practice, but nothing else. // 6

MG10CD Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 27, 2005

Purchased from: Guitar center

Features: This amp doesn't have many features. Just a clean channel which I personally don't like 'cause it isn't loud enough, and a overdrive channel, A headphone jack, an input jack, a jack for your tunes, and that's pretty much it. It's good if you just blew all your money on a new guitar and you just want an amp to practice with. // 7

Sound: It's really the overdrive channel that just plain pisses me off cuz of the squealing and wailing it does. I don't know if it's my Strat that does it or the amp but everytime I turn on the amp it starts making a loud crackling buzz noise. When I press down on my guitar's strings it mutes the buzz but letting go lets out a horrible ring. Otherwise an amp is an amp. A good starter amp for people who are trying out guitar as a hobby but if you are or planning to be a dedicated guitarist I recommend something else. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Well I think it's pretty durable as in it won't break or anything. Would I use it in a gig without a backup? Well personally I'd use a better amp for a gig but if by what the question means if it'll break or not. I think it'd remain pretty sturdy. // 7

Overall Impression: I enjoyed it as I was starting out. I'm using it to play punk like Green Day and alternative/moody songs such as Interpol's but now that I'm more experienced I think I'm gonna purchase a more complex amp. The MG10CD is a great amp if you're not even sure if you like guitar or not or if you just wanna practice with your electric guitar. But for those of you who are seasoned guitar players I'd recommend a more diverse amp. // 8

MG10CD Reviewed by: The Anteater, on november 17, 2005

Purchased from: Marks Guitar

Features: I do not know what year the amp was made in but is is a perfect match for me. I haven't been playing long so it was realativly cheap even though it is a good brand. It has two channels, one normal and one in the overdrive. It has a headphone jack and has a CD input jack. I wish that it had more channels so I could have more variation easily. I use this amp everywhere that I play my guitar and it is alright size for me. It is ten watts and because I am just a beginner it is a perfect size. IT was also a good choice because it had a five year warantee. // 5

Sound: The guitar I am using is my Ibanez with two humbucker pickups. It works well with basically any type of guitar and music and the overdrive works perfectly for the rock and roll I like to play. The amp isn't really noisy, there is some very minor buzzing but that is mostly with distorton and is to be expected. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This is a very dependable amp and it has never broken down on me. I would use it without a backup if I was to play somewhere without worry of it failing. // 5

Overall Impression: I play rock n' roll and this amp matches up about as well as any other amp. I have been playing for about five months and don't really own any other gear. There is nothing I wish I would have asked before buying this amp and if it was ever lost or stolen I would definetly buy it again. I love it because it is portable and I don't really hate anything about it. This definetly compares well with other products because is it high quality. There isn't really anything I wish it had other thatn more channels. // 7

MG10CD Reviewed by: dark_destiny, on january 08, 2006

Features: The amp I am reviewing is the Marshall MG10CD. This little practice amp (solid state) contains one clean channel, and one overdrive channel that lets you seperately control the overdrive volume and amount. The contour control knob adjusts the overall tone of the amp whether clean or distorted. The amp also has an emulated CD jack that lets you plug in your CD player etc. for a jam along session. Alternatively you can also connect a recording machine this way into the amp. A good feature is the emulated headphones jack so you can play at night. I play a variety of music including rock, some metal and punk and this amp does the job. I use it at home as it is not big or loud enough to play elsewhere but when turned up don't cancel that out, for the size it is pretty loud. It has enough power and main thing I love about it is the portability. // 7

Sound: The Marshall MG10CD is a small yet versatile amp which you can get a few sounds out of. I usually just play it through the clean channel then plug in my multi effects pedal and go from there. When you turn the amp on it makes a slight pop noise but my mate's Behringer does the same so it is natural. I play with an SG and I usually get the sound I want through this amp. When the clean channel is turned up it gives a nice crunch but still keeps the clean sound. The distortion on the other hand, has little difference when turned right up there is just more feedback, but if the distortion is on 10 and contour 0 it gives a nice metal sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp seems fairly reliable and has not broken down yet. It is very solid and can withstand knocks and bumps without any major damage. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this amp does the job and is quite convenient for a home setting or practise in your room. The best thing about it is the fact it is small, relatively light, straightforward and easy to work which makes it excellent for a beginner's amp or someone who is just a hobby guitarist. Whether it be metal, rock, blues, funk, country etc. this amp will most likely get you the sound you want if you fiddle with your guitar settings and amp itself. If stolen/lost I would save for probably a 50 watt amp of some sort to put more power into my attack. // 9

MG10CD Reviewed by: chris_122, on may 30, 2006

Features: This amp is pretty versatile with different rock genres, such as classic rock, punk rock, and also jazz. It has 2 channels, clean and overdrive, with a CD in and line out jack, and headphone Jack. 2 volume controls for each channel, a gain control, and one tone control. I mainly use this amp for practice at home. It's good for what it was made for. Great practice amp and/or beginner amp. // 7

Sound: I have an old Fernandes guitar with humbuckers. I mostly play punk and metal, with some classic rock, and it sounds good for the most part, but doesn't have enough gain for Metal. The distortion on it is nice though and I can still hear all the squeeling pinch harmonics. The clean channel is very nice and pleasent, it does get distorted but at much higher volumes. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's just a practice amp so I wouldn't use it for any gigs, but it is still reliable and durable. I've had it for over 2 years and it still sounds great. // 9

Overall Impression: I play punk and metalcore stuff, like Ramones to As I Lay Dying to In Flames, and this amp is suitable for all of them. The only thing I hate about it is that there is only 1 tone control, but all in all it's a good amp, especially for beginners or just for practicing. // 7

MG10CD Reviewed by: delongesmyhero, on may 30, 2006

Purchased from: shear's music

Features: The Marshall MG10CD's sound is rather limited because its small and mainly used as a practice amp. It has an overdrive Channel which is useful but doesn't get too loud. It also has a headphone jack and a CD line out. I wish the MG10CD had a little more variety in the sound, but you can't expect too much from a 10watt practice amp. I use this amp in my room when practicing alone. It isn't very loud so I can play it in my rooom with out too much problems. For practicing alone it does have enough power. // 7

Sound: I use a either my Ibanez RG321 or my Washburn X10 with this amp, both of which I use humbuckers. I play a large variety of music, but not much on that particular amp because for me it is meerly a practice amp. With the MG10CD you can get a good punk sound and if you play with the volume and the Distortion maybe even a light metal sound. The clean channel isnt noisy at all, infact it has a rather good sound. The distortion channel is rather quiet compared to my other amps. The clean channel is clean all the way through, it doesn't get distorted at high volumes. The distortion is pretty easy-going. It doesnt have much bite to it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The amp is dependable to a certain extent. It is loud enough to gig with but it is dependable for a practice amp. The amp has not broken down for me. Everythign works fine and its very durable. // 8

Overall Impression: I play punk, and this amp's overdrive actually is rather good for that style. I've been playing for 5 years and mainly use this amp with out pedals for fear the amp will blow. I just plug straight into and play at lower volumes with it. I would probably replace this amp if it were stolen, I would maybe get it a little louder, maybe a 15 or a 30 watt. The best thing about the MG10CD is that it is perfect for playing in my room alone, when I don't want to disturb others in my house. I wish it's effects had a little more variety. // 7

MG10CD Reviewed by: cam201, on june 28, 2006

Features: Firstly its a suprising amp. My amp was made in 2005 and is the very best beginners amp on the market. The amp is equiped with 2 channels, contour effect, headphone output just a load of brilliant options. I wish it had a few more tone options but it's a beginners amp and doesn't really need much more options than what it has. Well it is my backstage warm-up and is very handy. It has brilliant power if you want to entertain the guests but you can't really do much more than that due to the fact it is only a beginners amp. // 10

Sound: I have 2 humbuckers in my Epiphone LP which gives out a nice warm sound on clean channel but with the gain way up it doesnt sound that good but the guitar is not really designed for it. It is a very loud amp for its size and surely belts out more than 10 watts. Keep the gain to a minimal level and it will sound great. It can't make to many sounds (distortion, clean and the contour tone but that's all a beginner needs). With the gain up a few levels it can belt out one hec of a sound. It's incredibly loud for its size. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I cant use it at a gig of any sort but its a good backstage warm-up. It has never broken down and probably never will. I don't use it that much but I'm pretty sure it wont brake down. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues and hard rock and has a good tone for that sort of music. I would buy it again if it was stolen because it's great to have backstage as a warm-up. I don't love it I don't hate it but it is a great amp. A beginners essential amp. When I was buying it it was a toss up between a Laney amp or the Marshall. Considering the Laney's max volume was barely as loud as the Marshall my obvious choice was the Marshall and it was a pretty popular brand but it really is a great beginners amp. I would recommend this amp for a beginner more than any other brand. // 10

MG10CD Reviewed by: Simon Acreman, on june 29, 2006

Features: This amp is pretty limited in terms of features. It has 4 knobs; clean channel volume, Overdrive gain and volume and a mids booster knob. The 2 channels are the regular clean and overdrive. It would be nice to have a full EQ panel to nail all the right sounds you want from a practice amp, unfortunately, the tone settings are very primative. But then, what do you expect from a cheap and cheerful 0 Watt practice amp? // 4

Sound: The amp gives good tone for squeeky pop-punk and similar, but sounds empty in general. For heavier sounds, it sounds very dull and doesn't have much oomph. It's fine for beginners or for a warm-up before a gig, but doesn't pack the punch required for anything more. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I have had no faults, so far (touch wood). But Marshall wouldn't have the reputation they do with unreliable amps. // 8

Overall Impression: Ther amp is not really suited towards any style and gives only limited, middle-of-the-road sounds. Comparing this to my 30watt Vox, it is worthless. It's good to have a practice amps, but it needs more of a punch to give the right sounds to keep interest in playing. In the event of losing this amp, I would now stick rigidly to Vox and the tone I have now, rather than bothering to spend out on another 0 Watt Marshall. It is lacking so much, but it's not worth having those things with only 10 watts to pump those sounds. // 5

MG10CD Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 03, 2006

Purchased from: abcMusic

Features: I have no idea when this was made, but I don't really care. It has two channels, clean and overdrive. There is also a contour (tone) knob. The Overdrive has a volume and gain, but the overdrive can take a while to set to the sound you want. The clean channel is perect for blues, and has a nice crunch, yet it still keeps it's clean. There is an emulated CD input for jamming along to your favourite artists, but this can also be used to record your own songs too. There is also an emulated headphone jack for silent practice at night or whatever. // 9

Sound: I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 with two humbuckers and on a tone of 10 with the toggle switch set to treble. I usually play with the over Drive gain on 10 and the volume to whatever. This suits my metal sounds, but I sometimes change the tone to make a punk metal sound for songs that are sort of emo. The amp is surprisingly loud for it's size, and the clean has hardly any distortion, yet has a great crunch. This amp can vary from blues to metal, and can do emo, punk, hard rock, etc. The distortion is very good, but when it's too high, then it can get all crackly on you. But it is still very good nonetheless. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is great and all, but is isn't loud enough to use at a gig, although I would trust it not to break down. My amp has no dents in it, but it is very durable still. I know this because I kind of dropped it off the table. But it still is in a great working order. // 10

Overall Impression: I usually play emo-metal, and this amp is great for practice, but you would be better off with a louder verision of the MG series. The clean is perfect for blues and country, while the distortion can give you great sounding riffs and perfect solos. I've had it for a while now, and it is still holding up, I would probably get a louder version if mine was stolen or broke, or I might get a tube amp, but there you go! I just love the distortion, it's so good, it's perfect for my style. // 10

MG10CD Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on july 07, 2006

Purchased from: Guitarre Shoppe

Features: This is a somewhat recent amp and a very simple one. It's only 10 watts but considering, it can pack quite a punch. It has 2 channels (clean and overdrive) and just a few knobs: one contour knob for tone shaping and a volume knob for each channel (as well as a gain knob for the overdrive channel). It has a headphone jack, and an interesting input for a CD player which is always great for jamming on some of your favourite tunes. Surely, this amp should not be used in a concert situation, but as far as practice amps go, it's well worth its weight in gold. // 7

Sound: Personally, I always use guitars with humbucking pickups and effects such as distortion and delay, but the built-in overdrive is actually quite heavy-sounding-especially for a 0 Watt amp. It seems compatible for a variety of styles from jazz all the way up to metal, so most guitarists should be pleased with this amp. An interesting feature, is the fact that as the clean channel is cranked, it's meant to sound distorted or crunchy, which is supposed to create the effect of playing with an amplifier of a much more powerful caliber. However, it's the lack of decent range knobs that makes me feel that this amp could have used a little more consideration in terms of tone-shaping. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp is not meant to be used in a gig situation, but it seems very reliable. I've lugged it around in 30-below canadian winter a few times and it's still kicking a couple of years later. However, I wouldn't suggest dropping it off of a 10 floor building either. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot more metal now than when I first purchased this amp, so I use preamp distortion for my tones now, but the clean sound that it produces just can't seem to be beat, after all, is there any other than Marshall? On top of all that, in terms of price, this amp is very well priced. Considering the power and size of it, I would have to say that anyone would have a difficult time finding a better-sounding, better-priced practice amp. The only thing it's missing is more contour knobs than just the one. // 7

MG10CD Reviewed by: peckers, on august 04, 2006

Purchased from: Cookes

Features: It doesn't have many channels, which will limit how many sounds you can get out of this amp. I play all styles from classic rock to heavy metal and find this amp limiting. You can get a basic blues, rock and metal sound out of it, but not with much variation. I use this in my room and find it has more than enough power for general practice. The input jack can be used with many pedals, the only one I use is the cry baby wah pedal. It also has a CD input but I've never used it. For a cheap practice amp it's pretty good, by if you want more variation of styles then I would recommend one with more channels. // 6

Sound: I play a Les Paul with humbuckers as standard. It does give a good rich tone, classic of the les paul, but with all small amps there is some noise with the distortion at higher levels. When I use my wah wah the noise is increased. The clean channel is very good in comparison. The wah sounds very good through the clean channel. For the price, which now you can get it for about 45, it's good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp has never broken down, and I've had it for nearly 3 years. I have taken it to many places and it is very robust. I have used it once at a gig, playing solo, but with a band you will need a more powerful amp. // 10

Overall Impression: Brilliant first amp. Cheap, small, and easy to use and as practice amps go, that is what you need. It is also pretty loud for something of this size. If I lost it I would buy a bigger amp, but that is only because I'm looking for a bigger one now. I'm glad I got it as a first amp and would reccomend it for a first practice amp. // 8

MG10CD Reviewed by: Pacifica112J, on september 18, 2006

Features: I'm going to guess and say my amp was made in '03, just as a guess. This little amp isn't very versatile, but it's clean channel is actually pretty nice, and the overdrive isn't all that bad, but it crackles pretty badly with the contour and gain up all the way. Beware using the overdrive, though. Every once in a while, when I push the little black overdrive button, my amp will let out this ear shattering, nails-on-a-chalkboard, demonic screech. So beware using overdrive around CRT computer monitors and things like that. But back to the original subject, no, it isn't versatile, but it's very good to learn on, and can go more than loud enough to shake windows, and knock pictures off of walls, it's happened to me. It's got 2 channels, Clean and Overdrive. Both are alright, but the OD can get super muddy at higer volumes. The Clean channel is actually very crisp, and is pretty nice. The overdrive is actually pretty nice for stuff like goth metal, death metal, and other extremely heavy, kinds of music, like Celtic Frost. I really don't wish it had any other features. It was meant to be a bare bones, plug-and-play, learining and practice amp. It's actually got some nice features, though. It's got an input for CD's, and MP3's so you can jam with your favorite music, which is kinda cool. It's also got a headphone jack, which is very nice IMO. I'm a learning guitarist, still, and it's good to be able to jam in the middle of the night if I catch some inspiration, without waking my mom. I mainly use this amp just for playing in my garage, or taking to my grilfriend's house so we can play. She has a Roland Cube 15, and this is about the same, but the Roland is a bit nicer, and sounds better, but she paid about $50 more for the Cube, so whatever. My little Marshall has more than enough power for me. Like I said earlier, this little bastard can shake windows, piss of neighbors, and destroy anything hanging on a wall. It actually has a hell of a lot of power for being just 10 watts, a decieving amount, really. Both the Clean and Distorted channels can pump some raw sound. It's just a cheapie solid state. I didn't really expect much from this amp when I bought it, so when it turned out to be better than I though, I was pleasantly surprised. If you don't expect this amp to be a Mesa Boogie, then you'll be pleasantly surprised, too. I don't get all these reviews where people expect a cheap, solid state, to be a massive, tube powered monster. Get a grip people, for $65, it's a pretty good deal. // 8

Sound: I use a couple of different guitars with this amp. One of them being an Ibanez GSA60, totally stock, and the other being an Epiphone G-400, and the other being something like EVH's Frankenstrat. This amp doesn't do too badly with any of them, to be totally honest with you. My motto has always been that you can't plug an awesome guitar, into a shit amp, and expect good sound. And while this won't blow you away, the sound quality on the Clean channel is more than good enough. It doesn't really suit my music style, or any style for that matter, but for practice, it's an awesome deal. I play mainly punk rock, like the Sex Pistols, and the Overdrive channel is great for those super dirty, gritty, ugly tones that made the Sex Pistols famous. I also dabble in Rock and Roll like AC/DC, Ozzy, Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, etc. It's normally not very noisy, surprisingly, and almost never picks up any interference. As of now, it's sitting about three feet away from my massive CRT computer monitor, and doesn't pick up any interference. The only interference I ever get is from my Ibanez's neck single coil pickup, but none from my SG or Frankenstrat. I plan on buying some paraffin wax to fix this little annoyance, though. The only other place I've used it is in my garage, and in a friend's basement, and I get no problems there, so whatever. Like I've said about a bajillion times before, this amp's tone is pretty limited. Not much variety at all. But, I like the clean channel so much, for practice and goofing off, that I plan on buying three more of these amps, and making my own midget stack. It should be a cool project. The clean channel stays fairly clean at all volumes. Although, at it's highest volume, you get the absolute, tiniest, most minute amount of crackling. It's totally unnoticeable by anybody other than Who's playing. The Overdrive channel can get pretty muddy, but properly set up, and for only 10 amps, it's absolutely vicious. Don't belive me? Try it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp is extremely durable. I don't know why others say it's unreliable. I depend on it totally for practice, and tuning my guitars. I wouldn't use it for a gig, though. Not because it's not a good amp, but because when you're in a venue, or something, 10 watts just doesn't cut it. For that, I use a Line 6 Spider II 112. For a $200, solid state, that thing is absolutely vicious, I recommend it. My Marshall MG10 has never broken down, or given me any trouble, and I use it pretty frequently. It doesn't have any tubes to replace, so there's really no maintenance, and I have given it some neglect before. It's taken spills onto concrete garage floors, taken spills from drinks, and been carried in a light drizzle, but I hasn't let up yet. // 10

Overall Impression: I play real punk, like the Sex Pistols, and The Clash, along with Metal, from Black Sabbath, to Rammstein, to Children Of Bodom. I also play Hard Rock, like AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, etc. And this amp really doesn't cut it for any of them, though the clean channel is good for Blues, which I infrequntly dabble in, stuff like B.B. King. But other than that, it's solely a practice amp. But it does that very well. I've been playing for close to a year and a half, but I would consider myself to be an authority on stuff like this, because all I do is play the guitar in my spare time. If it were stolen or lost, I would buy another one. Especially at the bargain of $65 I got it for. I mean, it's great for taking to a friend's, too. My Line 6 Spider weighs about fifty pounds, and this thing only weighs, like eight to ten pounds, if I had to guess. So it's not hard to lug around, and is plenty loud for it's size. What do I love? Nothing in particular, but if I had to pick, I'd say just the overall convenience of having a good amount of power in a ten pound package. What do I hate? Nothing. I didn't do any comparisons. I walked into Guitar Center, and it was only $65, and it was branded Marshall, so I bought it. I'm not sorry either. Anything I wish it had? Well, I can dream. But realistically, no. For the price I paid, I couldn't have gotten a better deal unless they were giving them away. Overall, if you're kind of tight for cash, and you need an amp to learn on, lug to school, or a friend's house, and want a good bit of power in a small pack, you can't go wrong here. But, if you're looking at amps in the $100 range, go with the Roland Cube 15, or Micro Cube instead. // 8

MG10CD Reviewed by: HardRocker328, on january 08, 2007

Features: I don't know where the amp was made but the Marshall MG10CD is a very versatile amp for it's size. I mean not only is it a great practice amp, but it's loud enough to be played and heard over a drumset. I play hard rock and metal and this amp is great for both as long as you have a distortion/metal pedal. It has one clean and one overdrive channel, no FX, but it has a headphone jack. I wish it had better overdrive and more gain so I could play without a pedal sometimes. I use all of it's features at all times. I use it in my room and it definitely has enough power for me since it's just my practice amp. // 8

Sound: I play a Samick Torino TR2 with 2 Duncan Humbucker pickups. It fits my style, rock and metal, very well because you can customize the sound and tone with the contour knob. It's noisy if it's hooked to a pedal with the overdrive on and the gain up more than half. Whatever sounds you can make on your guitar will play through the amp (even pinch harmonics). The clean channel does get a little distorted at high volumes when the contour is down too low. The built in distortion sucks without a pedal, though. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I'd never use it on a gig even if I did have a backup, but I can depend on it just for playing for fun. It's good pretty much only good as a practice amp. It's just not loud enough for Live playing. It's never broken wholly, but the overdrive switch stopped working temporarily once. // 6

Overall Impression: Like I've said already, I play a wide variety of rock and metal and this amp matches it fairly well as a practice amp. I've been playing for three years now and I own an acoustic/electric guitar and an electric guitar, a metal zone pedal, a crybaby wah pedal, and a Zoom multi-FX pedal. It it were lost or stolen I'd buy a different, more powerful amp. I love it's portability but I hate it's crappy overdrive. My favorite feature is probably the contour knob. I didn't really compare when I bought it because my budget was really short. I wish it had bass, mid, and treble equalization knobs. // 8

MG10CD Reviewed by: Ultimate_Gio92, on april 27, 2007

Purchased from: Gear Music

Features: The amp is very good for most of the styles of music I play, the distortion isnt as good as I would like it to be but it works for me. This is for now my only amp and through the time I have had it it has survived a fall and water spill on it, no repairs have had to be made, it's a very solid and reliable amp and even if I do get a new better amp, I would still cherish this one. // 8

Sound: I use it with an Ibanez Lefty Gio, it suits my thrash/heavy/death metal, sometimes if I need to go to clean for my slower zeppelin songs, this amp can do all that and more. It can be very loud for a 0 Watt amp, and when on high volume the high channel can get a little distorted. The distortion on this amp is good, but can be much better. But considering the price I paid it's perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use this for a gig simply because it might not be loud enougn, but I do bring this amp to school, and after school if I wanna turn some heads and distrupt some teachers, I turn this amp up and jam away, it's loud, heavy, and it's awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of kinds of metal and it's an alright match, I use it with no pedal and it's good enough, I wish it had a better distortion channel than the one provided, but if this amp was ever stolen or lost I would definately buy it again. // 10

MG10CD Reviewed by: ze monsta, on august 17, 2007

Purchased from: Gigsounds

Features: I have no idea when this amp was made, as my dad bought it for me, in 2004. I found the amp very gd as a beginnner, as it was easy to use, the controls are very simple. The MGCD10 has a headphone jack, and a cd+emulated line out(which I have never used). As a beginner I found the amps tone fine, and still do to a certain extent though I do find it lacks some power. As a 0 Watt amp I think it is perfect for practice at home. It is great for the styles of music I play, the cleans are bright, though are not particually powerful and the overdrive is loud, heavy and versataile, it is very simple to find a good tone, overall I am pleased with this amp as a practice amp. // 9

Sound: I am using a Tanglewood TSE 605 with humbucking pups. I have recently bought this guitar as my old rubbish stratocaster didn't want to last any longer. I generally play garage, blues (including slide guitar) and grunge. I find the distortion very good for garage, and great for grunge, as I have enough for the growl and volume, but I can also hear the treble well. The amp suits my style of music well as it is raw sounding and has a good range of tones. A downside is that the clean turns muddy and distorted at around 9 with my guitars volume set to 10. Though this can be an annoyance, it isnt that bad as for me I like that kinda tone. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp, I've had it for 3 years, and I think it will still last, though I am looking for a louder-bigger amp perhaps an Orange with 30-40 watts. I would not gig with this amp as it is to small, but for practice at home, it has done good service. I think the tone has changed over 3 years, for worse, as the clean has become a little distorted at high volumes. // 7

Overall Impression: The overall impresion of the amp is good, the MG10CD is a good practice amp, with a good range of tones. I would recommend this amp to beginners, though nothing above, if you were to get a new practice amp(as an intermediate level guitarist), I would say: this amp is a no no. If it were stolen, I would replace it with am Orange, 30 watt amp. I just wish this amps cleans were better, though it has done valiant service so far. // 7

MG10CD Reviewed by: hippytom, on january 22, 2008

Purchased from: Sohosoundhouse.com

Features: This amp has two channels; clean and overdrive. It was a great little amp when I got hold of it, and it came as part of a guitar and amp pack. It's really good for beginners, and it doesn't set you back much, and it has a lot of power for its size. It's probably the loudest 10w amp I've ever heard. // 7

Sound: I've played a range of guitars through this amp; Strat copies, a Westfiled E4000 Les Paul copy, an Ibanez AX120 and a Fender Telecaster. I didn't really have much of a musical style whilst I was playing this. As a first amp it was great, and gave me the ability to try out the vast majority of genres I was interested in. Of course this amp could never be played in a gig situation as it's only a 10w, but for a practise amp it's a beast. The clean channel doesnt't get too distorted at high volumes, and the distortion is heavy enough to lend it's hand to punk rock and light metal riffs. Anoything heavier, and you'd need to employ the help of a pedal. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have never, nor would I ever use this amp to gig. It's far too small. The amp broke down a while back, but it had been kept in garages all over town with various bands and had been kicked around an awful lot. What had happened was the soldering on the input jack had been pulled away over time. It took 5 minutes to fix. // 7

Overall Impression: Fr a beginner this is a brilliant amp. I would recommend it. I have long since replaced it with a Marshall MG100HDFX with an MG412 cab, though I do sometimes go back to playing through it if I'm looking for something to take to a friend's house for a jam, and it's small and light, and saves lugging an amp and cab all around town. I love the power this little amp packs and the abuse it can take. I wish it had had a footswitch, as that was what made me eventually buy an effects pedal, but it's only a small amp, and to expect a footswitch is probably too much // 8

MG10CD Reviewed by: _Metal_Guitar_, on april 04, 2008

Features: This 10W amp is a good little practise amp. It has two channels, clean and overdrive. For clean there is just a volume knob and for the distortion channel there is a volume knob and a gain knob, and there is a contour knob which works for both channels. There is an emulated headphones input socket so you can hear yourself playing through headphones (the amp stops making noise while your'e listening through the headphones) and also there is a 'CD in & emulated line out' socket, enabling you to listen to cd's or tapes through your amp, or plug in a recording machine and record directly what you play onto CD/tape. // 8

Sound: I am using a Yamaha erg 121 guitar (which sucks) with the MG10CD. But a still manage to get an alright sound out of it. You can get a range of sounds out of it, from a warm clean sound to a crunchy metal sound. This amp goes suprisingly loud if you turn it up all the way, but with this volume comes a hell of a lot of squeely ear piercing feedback. However, at a sensible volume (even playing it with my crapy Yamaha) you can get a damn nice sound out of this amp. Especially if you put the gain all the way up or use a distortion pedal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is an extremely reliable and durable amp. I bought mine second hand off a friend so mines quite old now, but it is still in almost perfect condition (the only thing wrong is the channel selector switch is slightly wonky, but it still works fine). This amp will never let you down, will last for ages and will take a hell of a beating to get broken. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this little amp, it's easily loud enough for practising and great for any stlye of music. it's reliable, durable, flexible (meaning it suits any style of playing, not flexible as in bendy) it sounds great and it's compact and portable. If you need a practise amp I would recommend this. If you're practising in a band I would recommend the louder 15W MG15CD. Obviously you couldn't use this for a Live performance as it's only 10W, but it's a perfect practise amp. // 9

MG10CD Reviewed by: Pharsti, on july 12, 2008

Purchased from: Mozingo Music

Features: The Marshall MG10CD is marketed as an intro-line practice amp offering the added ability of having an audio feed played through the amp while an instrument is plugged in through an alternate input, allowing players to strum along to their tunes. That being said, it meets the marketed aspects pretty well. The MG10CD offers two channels, clean and overdrive, along with a dual-channel tone knob for changing contour. Clean channel owes itself solely a volume knob, while overdrive offers both gain and volume control. Many users might find this to be a little lack-luster, as a wide variety of tones cannot be matched because the treble, mid, and bass cannot be altered. This is the big flaw in the MG10CD which frustrates me the most, and quite often too. The amp can leave some power-hungry players wanting more, but this is only a 10w, and it lives up to that, so this most certainly does not detract from it's score. // 7

Sound: I'm using an Ibanez GSA60 with stock pickups, so nothing too high-end, but good enough to belt out some serious tone. As both a rock and a jazz player, the dual-channels allow me to play both styles and Switch easily. With cheap cables, the amp has a lot of hum and buzz, but using Monster or any other quality-range cables has eliminated that for me. The clean channel retains its clarity throughout all volumes, with heavy bass, while the distortion channel isn't TOO crunchy, but enough for good rhythm and even leads when the gain is set to higher levels. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The MG10CD has been a rock to me. No breaks, no cracks, no drops in sound quality. As a practice amp, I would never take it on stage, but I can take it traveling or to friends houses and it has always survived the bumps. With this amp, you need not worry about physical durability. It is solid. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, as a beginners amp, the MG10CD delivers. It's a nice, small package with some strong sound for practicing with good enough variety that any user can find some settings they like. However, the CD input is more of a gimmick and I don't find myself using it often. In truth, if my MG10CD broke, I wouldn't be as inclined to buy a new one as I would be to try out other amps in the same price range. If you find a good deal, or try a bunch out and like the MG10CD the best, I would most certainly back your purchasing decision. // 8

MG10CD Reviewed by: rock-is-passion, on december 18, 2008

Features: I'm not sure what year that amp was made. The amp has two channels--clean and overdrive, so don't expect to have anything amazing on this amp besides a contour tone knob. For the overdrive, it has gain and volume knobs. It has an emulated line out for recording, an emulated headphone jack, and a CD input to jam if you wanted to. Since this is just a 10W amp, it should only have one implication-practice, not performance. I use it in my room and it does deliver in that environment. // 7

Sound: Overall, this amp is pretty solid for it's price. But compared to other amps out there, you get what you pay for. When you turn that gain knob up, you get that normal annoying buzz that all small amps have. However, after demo-ing all the low-end practice amps, this one definitely can deliver in the overdrive, which is one of the largest selling points on this amp. Compared to the other 10W amps, this little thing can definitely crank out those hard rock/metal songs you've always wanted to play. The clean channel delivers as well considering the price: with the contour knob, you can get a variety of different sounds. But once again, even with the clean channel, when you crank the volume up, you get that buzz. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is very dependable in practice. However, like I've stressed before, this is a PRACTICE amp. Do not take this into a gig; you'll be embarrassed to death by the constant buzz that the audience would weep over. I've had this for about a month now, and it still works fine despite my constant playing. // 6

Overall Impression: Honestly, if you are a beginner that wants to learn to wail, buy this. It is a solid amp that will not back down. It comes with a warranty from Marshall so that's always nice. Overall a solid beginner practice amp but nothing more, nothing less. This appeals more to hard-rock and metal play with it's overdrive, but the clean channel is good for chords too.IF I lost this, I would buy this again for sure. // 8

MG10CD Reviewed by: Maggot4Life22, on february 17, 2009

Purchased from: Merchant City Music - Guitar.co.uk

Features: I'm not sure what year the amp was made in. The amp can be used for many genres. It has 2 channels, Clean and Overdrive. You Switch between the channels by pressing a little button, but you can't use a foot Switch to Switch between the channels. I wish it had a Bass, Middle and Treble control knobs because it only has one. It is solid state, but it very loud. // 7

Sound: I am using it with a Squier Stratocaster with the factory pickups. My musical style is Thrash Metal/Metal and Alternative Rock. It works very well with all three of these styles. For Trash Metal, have the Gain on 9 and the Contour on 7. For Metal, have the Gain on 8 and the Contour on 8. For Alternative Rock (Linkin Park), have the gain on 6 and the Contour on 5. The Amp dosen't distort at all on the clean channel at high volumes, which is quite a bonus if you are using your electric as an acoustic to get to the lower frets. The distortion isn't very brutal, but if you get the gain and contour in the right place then you can play any genre you wish. The amp is also incredibly loud for 10 watts. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is built like a brick and it seems like it will never break. I have had it for 2 months and it has been knocked over about 10 times, but there is no evidence on the amp to prove this. If it was louder I would gig with it without back-up, but this is only supposed to be a practice amp. However it is extremely well built. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing acoustic guitar for 3 years and electric guitar for 2 months, so this was my first amp. The amp also sounds very nice if you sing down it. If this where stolen or lost, I would defiantly buy a new one, my mate has the MG30FX, and this one has a better tone. I wished it had better distortion, but overall, this is an excellent first amp, and an excellent practice amp. // 9

MG10CD Reviewed by: Maggot4Life22, on february 20, 2009

Purchased from: Merchant City Music - Guitar.co.uk

MG10CD Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 19, 2009

Purchased from: Local Music shop

Features: First of all this amp is a practice amp so don't expect very many features. This amp was made in 2007. I play every type of music anything from heavy metal to jazz, it works for me, clean and overdrive is all I need in a practive amp. I keep this amp at home seeing that I Live there. Once again this a practice amp, don't expect much power from it but it works. Overall no bad for a practice amp. // 7

Sound: I'm am currently using a Ibanez icx with Seymour Duncans, jbs I think. This amp is pretty much very plain, it can cry with some blues and make some good pinched harmonics for metal. Downside is with the overdrive there is some "noise". It's pretty much lifeless with overdrive and clean though. So-So sound. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Are you serious? Using this amp for a gig would be like bringing a minivan to a drag race. But I'll give it one thing, it's freaking durable. I've dropped this amp like three times and it still looks brand new. It has a nice warranty on it so I'm not really worried. // 6

Overall Impression: This amp won't let you down for practicing. It will suit any type of music that you will play. I've been playing for two and a half years now, I own a Marshall MG250DFX now but I still use the mg10 for when a friend comes over. If this amp were stolen or lost I would buy another one. I compared this to several pieces of crap, a couple of small peaveys, a squire and a First Act. I chose this one for simply reasons like the other ones were crap and this thing won't let you down! // 6

MG10CD Reviewed by: paranj, on july 21, 2009

Purchased from: Furtados, India

Features: Can't say where it was made but it's probably made recently as it's a very 'nu' sounding amp. I am into hard rock/metal (almost all genres except -core and 'nu'). This amp has two channels. Clean and Overdrive. The clean channel is mediocre while the Overdrive channel is pathetic. The amp is 10w and therefore ain't too loud but does for a small room or a hasty band practice. I can't get all the tones I want from it but it makes for an okay first amp. I wish it had more tone options (like settings for mid and high range, etc) and a couple of effects. // 6

Sound: I use an entry level guitar (Yamaha Pacifica 012) with its default pick-ups. It has a HSS style of pickups. I am learning since hardly 8 months but still I can say that though guitar is quite basic, it sounds good although the amp dosen't (as I have tested the guitar with a better amp). The amp dosen't suit my style of music much (I am a lead player mostly). I also use an effects pedal (Boss DS1 Distortion). The amp on the clean channel isn't too noisy until you go beyond the 7th volume level but as soon as I turn on the distortion, the amp gets noisy. It's not the pedal's or the guitar's problem as I have tried them with higher level amps. As I said before, the amp isn't versatile at all and after just owning it for 5 months, I feel like getting another one. The overdrive channel produces a very thin, weak and almost non-existent overdrive so it's useless plus it's noisy. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use it for a gig as it feels like a cheap amp and any sane person won't use a 10w amp for gigs. I haven't dropped it or banged it anytime but after looking at it's construction materials, I can confidently say that it won't last long or survive a drop. It's been with me just for 5-6 months so it hasn't been neglected or broken down yet. // 4

Overall Impression: Even if you are a complete begineer, stay away from this amp. No matter, what kind of music do you play, this amp won't cut it. Get a Roland Cube 15X or something like that by paying a few extra bucks. I have been playing since 7 months but still this amp fails to satisfy me. I wish I had got a chance to test it before buying it (this amp was actually a gift). If it were stolen or lost, I would be rather glad because then, I would be able to get a new one. One thing I like about it is it's size. It's small and therefore I can take it to school for guitar classes. I didn't get a chance to compare it with other amps in the price range and I regret it. All in all, stay far away from this crap. // 3

MG10CD Reviewed by: Sanemuch, on december 06, 2011

Features: 6 inch speaker, 2 channels. Clean channel: 1 volume knob. Overdrive channel: 1 volume and 1 gain knob. 1 tone knob that control both channels. 1 input jack, 1 CD in and emulated line out jack, 1 emulated headphones jack. 10 watts. Weighs a bit over 10 lbs. // 7

Sound: I got this amp about a year and a half from an adult friend who has been playing guitar all his life. When I first got it, I used an Ibanez RX240 and it sounded alright. Now, I use an Epiphone Les Paul Studio and it sounds amazing. When the volume is low, the tone sounds a bit dull but when the volume is up more, it sounds amazing. The clean channel sounds great for both rhythm and lead work. The overdrive is really good for anything, metal, classic rock, blues. This is why I think this amp is good for all types of guitarists. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't know when it was made but that wouldn't change it at all because it sounds amazing for a $35 used amp. Water has been spill onto it before, it's been knocked into walls and doors, but it still sounds great. // 9

Overall Impression: I play just about any kind of music, but mostly classic rock. I have been playing for about three years now (one year starting with an acoustic, then have been playing both acoustic and electric for the last two years). This is my first and only amp (but I have plenty of experience with other amps), but If it got lost/stolen/unlikely broken, I wouldn't buy it again, but that's only because I'm looking into a Fender Hot Rod, but I love Marshall amps equally. My only wish for it is for at least a couple of effects, like maybe chorus/echo or something like that. // 9

MG10CD Reviewed by: HUNDuffman, on february 03, 2012

Purchased from: A local store

Features: My amp is a member of the newer series of the MG10s, it was made in 2010 in Vietnam. I play power ballads, power metal, thrash and heavy metal, sometimes blues and hard rock for the fun of it, and campfire songs if I'm terribly tired. It has a clean and an overdrive channel, with four knobs: one for the clean channel volume, one for the overdrive volume, one for overdrive gain, and one for overdrive contour. Comes with an input, a digital headphone output, and a digital mp3 player input for jamming. I use it in a 10 square meter room with no echo at all fortunately. // 4

Sound: I am using it with a modified Powerstate guitar (the pickups are original, but it has a built in super heavy super black and super power consuming disto effect that can be switched from clean to disto) that has 2 humbuckers, and can be switched between single coil and humbucker modes. About the overdrive: It suited my style initially because my ears were untrained, and I was just like "I HAZ AMP WITH ELECTRIC GUITAR". // 4

Reliability & Durability: This amp is built to last. Or is it? It has been through a lot of abuse: I dropped it accidentally, I stood on it etc (and I'm not a thin guy at all) and it didn't want to make any cracking noise no matter what. However! Ever since I started using it with a multi-effect pedal, the gain knob became faulty. Or it might be just plain low quality, and it might not be related to using a pedal (and it sure isn't related with all the physical abuse it took). If the knob would still work it would get a 10 for durability, but no, it only deserves a 7. // 7

Overall Impression: As I said I play thrash, heavy metal, power ballads (i.e.: "Fade To Black" by Metallica), and it didn't meet my expectation. I also own a Zoom G1XN as mentioned above, along with a Powerstate guitar. The only thing I wish I had asked before buying is to try it out before making the final decision. If someone stole it I would feel sorry for the poor fella for making such a horrible decision (functions nice as a stool though). The only thing that keeps me from selling it is that nobody in his right mind would pay enough for me to get a better amp, and that the clean channel is reliable (no matter how lifeless). I thought this was a good idea, because my guitar teacher used an MG10 too, but it was a lot older, and he used it with a Squier Strat. I didn't compare it to anything, because back then I was to excited to get my hands on a real amp. It should really have a way better overdrive channel (brighter, crunchier, fuzzier and not as wet). And also a third one: A disto channel for metal massacre. But whatever, 90 bucks is 90 bucks, so the better overdrive would be enough. This gives it an overall score of 3, thanks for reading. // 3

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ DSL40C 9 Guitar Amplifiers 07/28/2014