MG10CF Review

9.1
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
MG10CF Reviewed by: GuitarManNick, on july 26, 2013

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: The amp isn't very well featured, with only a clean and an overdrive channel. Its got a channel switch on the top, allowing you to toggle between the two modes. No fx, no eq, just a volume for each channel, a gain knob and a contour knob. It's also got a headphones out and an aux in (for iPod/laptop etc). I just picked up this 10 Watt practice amp by Marshall, and for me, it does the job perfectly. So well, that I actually decided to write this review on the first day of having it. I give it a 7 in this category as other practice amps in a similar price range give you way more features such as sh-tty fx, and sometimes even modelling options. Which might be desirable by some. // 7

Sound: Well after weeks of trying different amps and drooling over some which I couldn't yet purchase due to space/noise/financial restrictions and convenience, I decided to settle with a practice amp for home to improve my playing till I can get a better one. I had previously tried out Laney amps (lx12), Orange amps (some sh-tty small one), the Marshall MG FX series (MG30FX), Line 6 amps (Spider 3 and Spider Jam), and bunch of other stuff (I'm not gonna mention the big ones here - IRONHEART!) I went into the store today and tried the microcube (which I previously owned yrs ago for a month or two), the Marshall MG15CF and the 10CF. After weeks of thinking about which shitty amp to buy, I finally stumbled across this JEM. I tried in store with a beginner level LTD, sh-tty pickups n all, and boom, it was already sounding better than all the other practice amps I tried, ESPECIALLY the cube! So I pulled the trigger, bought it, went home, plugged it into my, less shitty, Jackson Kelly with EMG's and wow, for almost an hour I sat in front of this thing amazed at the tones I could get with it, especially paired with my pedals! THE SOUND was quite pleasing to me. Beautiful od channel with a decent clean channel to compliment it. Its got quite a lot of gain. In terms of brutal distortion, well, not really THAT brutal, but really pleasing. And especially paired with my DigiTech TL-2 it just sounds killer for a practice amp. As I mentioned earlier, its got no eq controls cept for a contour knob, so the tone is quite muddy, which can be taken care of with a pedal, but still compared to the other models in its price range (the ones I've tried at least), it just stands out... FAR out! The contours enough to get you from a Iron Maiden-ish tone to a more Linkin Park-ish tone. But to me it sounded shined best with more mids, rather than scooped, which just doesn't seem to be the Marshall thing. Also it can sound quite boxy if you sit right in front of the cone, with it at ear level, but yeah just don't do that, you know. And get ur settings right. The sound from the headphones out was also quite full and smooth, something similar to what you could get from the M-Audio blackbox. Was definitely a worthy bonus. Amps quite versatile, and can cover quite a lot of stuff (although I cant! Haha). It can get noise on med-high gain, but good cables should keep the noise at an acceptable level. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Wouldn't gig with it. Its just a practice amp, so yeah, just practice with it. Get a better amp for gigging unless you wanna look like a douche with a 10 Watt amp on stage! Haha. Wouldn't expect much from it apart from home practice. Just got it today, so luckily hasn't broken down yet, just been great tones so far! Definitely seems durable, especially if ur just gonna use it at home. And take care of it.. As in not get really drunk and start throwing ur amp around for fun... Seriously... Bad idea. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, great amp especially for the money. Beats other amps in the same price range, definitely recommended for home practice. Been playing now for almost 8 years, and I finally decided that I would actually like to practice at home through a nice practice amp, and not through some sh-tty box with a speaker attached to it or through my laptop, and this seemed to be the best fit for that purpose. If it were stolen or lost, I'd try to track it down and get it the f--k back. And if I ever have so much money that I don't even know what to do with it, I'd buy 50 of these and make a wall of these... But you know, with an eq pedal in front of it, so it sounds better. Yeah amazing bang for buch, awesome tone considering the price (not comparing to the big amps, that's just unfair) and yeah would definitely recommend this product. Heavenly high 5 Jim Marshall! // 10

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ DSL40C 9 Guitar Amplifiers 08/01/2014